• Jeva Lange

Watched the 1945 pre-theatrical

THEY TOOK ALL THE BEST PARTS OF THE BOOK OUT :(

• nowacki

★★★★ Watched by nowacki 16 Apr, 2014

Don't mind the mildly convoluted plot, this one's a winner. The eternally middle-aged Bogie was meant to play Philip Marlowe, and it's a damn shame he didn't do it more often. The female crew of this movie is one of the big highlights, which is especially saying something given the roles women were generally relegated to in this time period. Murky but interesting cinematography. Whip-smart dialogue full of teh '40s giggles.

• Cameron Harrison

★★★★ Watched by Cameron Harrison 16 Apr, 2014

The Big Sleep, 4 out of 5: This is the quintessential detective story. Every trope you’ve seen parodying or homaging detective series was perfected, if not began, here. That amazing thing is, even after being copied so many times since then, the movie still holds up perfectly and rarely feels dated. Having a cab follow a car, rifling through a suspects desk in the middle of the night, the fedora and trench coat; it all feels fresh and fun. A…

• Henrik EM

★★★★ Watched by Henrik EM 10 Apr, 2014

One of the best noirs I've seen so far. Loved it!

• Teddroe

★★★½ Watched by Teddroe 05 Apr, 2014

I can't really point out anything (other than maybe Bogart's...Bogartism) that's particularly exceptional about it, but this is a rock solid, satisfyingly convoluted, and thoroughly entertaining classic Golden Age noir.

7 B+

• ThisKidGotMoxie

★★★★½ Rewatched by ThisKidGotMoxie 01 Apr, 2014

But who killed that one guy!?!? Was it that other guy?! It wasn't? Was it the daughter? No, not that one, the other one. No? Anyone?

Best confusing detective film ever!

• Clay Templeton

★★★★ Watched by Clay Templeton 02 Apr, 2014

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Loose Women

• Matisse van Rossum

★★★★ Watched by Matisse van Rossum 28 Mar, 2014

A Century of Cinema Challenge: 1946

I can't claim to have followed everything happening in The Big Sleep's famously convoluted plot. I can't remember the myriad of characters, which ones were important and which ones were not. And truthfully, I can't really remember what all the killing was over in the first place. I don't even think that I caught why this film is even called The Big Sleep. It may take a couple of rewatches for me to sift…

• Hunter

★★★★ Watched by Hunter 26 Mar, 2014

It must have been quite a thing, seeing this in a pre-Big Lebowski world. However, since there is nothing I can do to wash that genre-busting retrospect tint off my glasses, I must simply acknowledge it and carry on.

The Big Sleep was great entertainment, but it didn't change my world. Maybe that is because The Maltese Falcon was my go-to noir since childhood; maybe that is because, again, I'm watching it in a post-noir world; or maybe, it just…

• Lee Gardner

★★★★½ Watched by Lee Gardner 18 Mar, 2014

Wow, this really doesn't make any sense, does it? I mean, maybe it does if you sit down and flowchart it out, but if you're just sitting there with your fingers in the popcorn bucket, it's all one big huh-wha? past a certain point. Still, it thus serves as resounding proof that plot is overrated. A bonus half star for Bogart/Bacall smolder. Also, is Marlowe's bookstore character with the flipped-up fedora brim and shades supposed to read effete book nerd or queer? Or maybe both? Also also, Bogart = most tubercular-looking screen sex symbol ever.

• Baz Film

★★★★★ Watched by Baz Film 09 Mar, 2014 2

*WARNING! THIS REVIEW IS MORE-ISH*

More twists than an Alton Towers roller coaster.

More cigarettes than outside an airport departures lounge

More sexier than my profile picture

More cooler than a polar bears toe nail

More Bogey than The African Queen and Casablanca combined

More noir than Chinatown

More everything.

The more I think I about it, the more I loved it.

More please!