• Alex A

★★½ Added by Alex A

Humphrey Bogart oozes with confidence and wit, so that's a plus, and his chemistry with Lauren Bacall helps a lot.  The dialogue in general is snappy, and the performances are all around good.  Seriously though, I've yet to see a classic noir film that blows me away.  I'm not a fan of the typically convoluted plots these types of flicks contain, which usually adds to me feeling bored and uninterested most of the time.  I didn't hate The Big Sleep, it just didn't engross me, so I'll keep waiting for that noir classic that fires on all cylinders for me, subjectively.

• Lyi

★★½ Watched by Lyi 25 Sep, 2016

I thought it wasn't particularly remarkable.

• StephenFurda

★★★★½ Rewatched by StephenFurda 22 Sep, 2016

I collect blondes and bottles, too.

Has to be one of the greatest screenplays ever written. The amount of double entendres and bon mots is staggering. Watching Humphrey Bogart deliver a line like "She tried to sit on my lap while I was standing up" is Hollywood filmmaking at its absolute finest. This isn't my favorite film noir, but I feel it is the genre's definitive work - the cultural perception of noir is based almost entirely on this film. Is there another film noir that actually uses the word "shamus?" It's a masterpiece.

• Alexandra

★★★★ Watched by Alexandra 24 Sep, 2016

The Big Sleep lives in its own little world of lies, guns, mystery, and secrets. Though I won't pretend I kept up with all the twists and turns of the plot, the atmosphere was more than enough to make up for the confusion from the constant plot twists; the story itself was not as important as Marlowe's quest to finish what he started. Humphrey Bogart is a charismatic and magnetic leading man and Lauren Bacall's presence dominates every frame she…

• Stephanie Lee

★★★★ Watched by Stephanie Lee 21 Sep, 2016

Great

• Ryan Michaels

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ryan Michaels 20 Sep, 2016

uuuuugh

• jarrettouthere

★★★★ Watched by jarrettouthere 19 Sep, 2016

Poor Elisha Cook Jr. always getting a raw deal.

• Madeline

★★★ Watched by Madeline 18 Sep, 2016

Hella uneven.

• alex leininger

★★★½ Watched by alex leininger 16 Sep, 2016

a noir classic, viewers can see many of the famous techniques of the genre on display here. p.i. humphrey bogart is really a genre in its own right, and the actor manages to display old-fashioned hollywood machismo without ignoring occasional vulnerable charm.

the film is engaging, but perhaps a little too convoluted for its own good. personally, i viewed it as more of a romance story than anything, since the relationship between bogart and bacall (and plenty of other random…

• Greg_Wood

★★★★★ Rewatched by Greg_Wood 16 Sep, 2016

love this movie hav seen it many many times * I still can't tell u what the plot is but I love it

• Ben Bates

★★★★ Watched by Ben Bates 11 Sep, 2016

I could listen to Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall banter for hours.

• Bowie

★★★★ Watched by Bowie 11 Sep, 2016

Theatrical Release
    This is the rare occasion where I can judge a screen adaptation immediately after having read the novel. Despite most of the dialogue being lifted straight from Chandler, there are a great many slight narrative changes and additions, nearly all designed to make Vivian a more likeable character, both to Marlowe and to the audience. Of those, the greatest is clearly the horse-racing related sexual metaphors. As a film, The Big Sleep is great fun due to the…