• KasperL

★★★★★ Rewatched by KasperL 22 Jan, 2015

Bogart IS Marlowe. And the dialogue is so freaking cool: "I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."

• Alec Price

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Price 17 Jan, 2015

A fiendishly convoluted noir, The Big Sleep is a masterclass in obfuscation, hiding its mysteries within a near impenetrable labyrinthine structure, where who killed who is ultimately rendered an abstract question. Bogart is on top form as the most famous of P.I. Philip Marlowe's screen incarnations, and he's matched by the bewitching Lauren Bacall, their sparkling interplay fizzing with sexual chemistry. Indeed, given the constraints of the Production Code, Hawks' renowned adaptation of Chandler's lurid pulp fiction is impressively bawdy, where friskiness abounds even in rare book stores. Delightfully devious.

• Carter

★★★★½ Rewatched by Carter 18 Jan, 2015

What happens in the plot of THE BIG SLEEP? Who cares? We've got a miniskirted Martha Vickers, a sassy Lauren Bacall, and smooth-as-shit Humphrey Bogart.

So much snappy dialogue:

Librarian: "You know, you don't look like a man who would be interested in first editions."
    Bogie: "I collect blondes and bottles too."

The Dude abides.

• Flickers in Time

★★★★½ Rewatched by Flickers in Time 09 Jul, 2013

Movies have taken a back seat to life lately and when life rears its ugly head there is nobody better than Bogart for a little boost. This is a fun but perplexing adaptation of the Raymond Chandler novel. Reviewed on flickersintime.com July 10, 2013.

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kerry Maxwell 13 Jan, 2015

One of these days I'll figure out who killed Owen Taylor.

I hadn't seen this since VHS days, when my kids were very young, and I was very sleep deprived. I put some heavy wear on the play heads with this one, and parts of it are imprinted in my head in a strange dream-like way. This and the earlier Marlowe adaptation Murder, My Sweet were two of my earliest experiences with classic noir, and remain two of my favorite…

• Noel Hahn

★★★★★ Watched by Noel Hahn 13 Jan, 2015

2015: 52 Weeks of Film: Week 3, Film 1 of 3

Being a huge fan of Film Noir, specifically 1940's Film Noir, it is not a surprise that I liked this film so much.

The writing, quick banter and innuendos are perfect. Humphrey Bogart is his usual self- the brooding detective with a bite to him. And the female leads have some gumption to them.

Overall, fantastic.

• Benjamin S.

★★★½ Watched by Benjamin S. 03 Jan, 2015

Maybe it was an excessive number of twists, or the difficulty I had keeping track of that many white dudes in suits, but I had no idea what was going on for most of the film.

Bogart at his most magnetic and a bunch of sultry ladies, whip smart Bacall foremost among then, mark this as a classic example of the genre. Even so, I'll have to watch it a couple more times to better understand the story before it can become a favorite of mine.

• Michael

★★★½ Rewatched by Michael 30 Nov, 2012

It's all about the dialog. And the delivery. The mystery is a mess that, if you try to think it through, probably doesn't hold together. But along the way there's the verbal sparring. The double entendres. And every pretty girl in sight throwing herself at a short middle-aged man with hard edged, wrinkled charisma.

But really, its the dialog and the delivery. That's the polished gem of "The Big Sleep". I do wish there had been more Dorothy Malone, though. She was great in her one scene.

• David Germer

★★★½ Watched by David Germer 16 Dec, 2014

Can I say that I was completely underwhelmed by Bacall, and annoyed at having to play catch-up with the plot, and retain any cinephilia cred? Does it help if I say that Hawk’s economical and atmospheric direction, and Bogie's facial expression and crackling line-delivery completely won me over anyway?

• Aaron Martin

★★★★ Watched by Aaron Martin 26 Dec, 2014

Bogey, Bacall and and a slew of other crafty women in a whirlwind of great, pulpy, dialogue.

• Dorian Rodríguez

★★★ Watched by Dorian Rodríguez 06 Sep, 2014

Man I don't get the love for a convoluted plot.

• Lars Sieval

★★★★★ Watched by Lars Sieval 17 Dec, 2014

The Big Sleep, a amazing movie with some amazing performances and dialogue. The story isn't bad either but sometimes confusing, at least for me. But what made this such an amazing ride was the script. The conversations between the characters are just epic and when you have Bogart in 99% of the scenes it can't go wrong. Here he is just epic as Private Detective Philip Marlowe. Martha Vickers should've had more screentime because all the scenes with her were…