• Robbe Vandekeere

★★★½ Watched by Robbe Vandekeere 23 Oct, 2016

Zeer complex verhaal. Echt moeilijk om te volgen, maar als je niet te moe bent, is het wel te doen. Fenomenaal geschreven!

• Melina

★★★★ Added by Melina

if anyone finds the plot please let me know.

• Keith

★★★½ Rewatched by Keith 19 Oct, 2016

Bogart was something special and it is a shame there aren't more movies like this!

• Brendan Edwards

★★ Watched by Brendan Edwards 19 Oct, 2016

Good chemistry between the leads and well set performed dialogue but it wasn't my cup of tea really.

• Brett Leach

★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 15 Oct, 2016

Very confusing but also lot of fun. Bogart and Bacall have great chemistry and the dialogue really cooks. I have to admit the movie is hard to pay attention to in spots, but I am glad it treats the audience like it is intelligent and doesn't feel the need to over explain the plot.

• Spencer Serra

★★★★½ Rewatched by Spencer Serra 14 Oct, 2016

This is a film where the drama between the characters is what drives the story forward. What they say doesn't seem quite as important as how they say it. The plot still feels a bit convoluted to me, but mostly just because the dialogue is so stylized. Characters go on huge tangents talking about things they've done and people they know -- Joe Brody, Eddie Mars, Vivian Rutledge, Carmen Rutledge, Agnes Louzier, Sean Reagan, Arthur Geiger, etc. All of these…

• Pablo Durán

★★★½ Watched by Pablo Durán 14 Oct, 2016

Uno de los noirs más exigentes por su trama enmarañada, aunque el énfasis está en lo psicológico más que en lo narrativo.
    Ví ambas versiones al hilo y quedé fascinado.

• Sadsharks

★★★★ Watched by Sadsharks 07 Oct, 2016

Usually I don't care much for, or even notice, the descriptions of films on Letterboxd. But The Big Sleep is different:

"Private Detective Philip Marlowe is hired by a rich family. Before the complex case is over, he's seen murder, blackmail, and what might be love."

That about sums it up, doesn't it? At once morbid and whimsical. A film stuffed to the gills with defenseless people shot dead, back-and-forth blackmail, families conspiring against each other, betrayal and revenge gone…

• WoosterShooster

★★★★½ Added by WoosterShooster

Hoo-cha. Will rewatch

• vi_griv

Watched by vi_griv 07 Oct, 2016

"What's wrong with you?"
    "Nothing you can't fix"

Bogart and Bacall was one of the most charming couples on screen. That's old Hollywood at all its glory!

• Spencer Serra

★★★★ Rewatched by Spencer Serra 04 Oct, 2016

In terms of acting, character, dialogue, and visuals, this movie is great. But fucking Christ is its plot convoluted. This is my second time watching it and I still have a hard time following what's happening.

Still, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall are both fantastic. I like how each character seems to have their own little nervous tic (Marlowe rubs his ear, Carmen always bites her thumb, etc.). I also loved that moment in the diner where a light literally turns on above Marlowe's head as he gets struck by a good idea. Somehow they managed to make it subtle enough not to be completely corny.

• Beatriz Santiago

★★★★ Watched by Beatriz Santiago 02 Oct, 2016

this was my first bogie and bacall movie and i already downloaded others cuz im in love with lauren bacall. humphrey bogart was good too.