• Wade Bearden

Watched by Wade Bearden 28 Jun, 2016 2

Bogart is just straight up vicious.

• JamesonLeggit

★★★★½ Watched by JamesonLeggit 27 Jun, 2016

This lives up to its reputation of having a really convoluted plot, but it doesn't matter. Bogart is super cool and gets every woman wet the second he walks into the room. The dialogue is slick, the mood is especially moody, and I wish I was Bogart.

• Sergi Monfort

★★★½ Watched by Sergi Monfort 25 Jun, 2016

¿Ca pasao?

• Palmer Rubin

★★½ Watched by Palmer Rubin 23 Jun, 2016

I know this one is a classic, but even a dingus like me knows that you're not supposed to just talk plot at each other.

I dunno, that's all that happens. All the characters know all these intimate details about one another and they just say them. There's really nothing beyond that.

I dunno, can someone explain to me why I should like this?

• Tony Oswald

★★★½ Rewatched by Tony Oswald 21 Jun, 2016

Making my way through a makeshift film theory course constructed by my friend Brandon Colvin complete with a watchlist and readings from Bordwell & Thompson. Currently reading Narration in the Fiction Film.

• ivan000

Bogart
    Classic

• Andrew R.

★★★★½ Added by Andrew R.

A sparkling piece of nonsense. Turns incomprehensibility into an art form of sorts.

• David, of the 33rd Degree

★★★★ Watched by David, of the 33rd Degree 11 Jun, 2016

An incredible, winding mystery with an excellent sense of atmosphere. Bogart and Bacall are excellent, nearly as good here as they were in their debut feature, To Have and Have Not. Their chemistry together onscreen is legendary. This movie might be the platonic ideal of Film Noir, with less ruminations on the vile nature of humanity and more of a focus on the "lone P.I. following his gut until the case is solved". The plot has been done to death, but The Big Sleep may have a claim on doing it the best.

Film #24 of the Twelve Decades of Cinema Project

• Conan Tan

★★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 31 May, 2016

Film noir, I love it.

• Valerie

★★★½ Watched by Valerie 06 Jun, 2016

Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart invented on screen chemistry. Bogart is funny, witty and quick on his feet as he tries to solve the big mystery behind the HUGE web of people starting with Carmen (Vivian or Bacall's baby sister) I want to see it 20 thousand times because this is the type of movie you can't understand on your try or even your fifth.

• Andy Brock

★★★½ Watched by Andy Brock 06 Jun, 2016

"Why did you have to go on?"
    "Too many people told me to stop."