• Robert Burke

★★★★½ Watched by Robert Burke 22 Aug, 2016

After so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much more thought, I realized two things.

1. I will never understand this movie

2. This film is amazing.

It's so convoluted and messy, yet it works perfectly.

The movie is about the confusing murder case itself, a case that is so messed up and complex, it makes no sense. JUST like the movie.

Also, the screenplay is one of the best ever written. No…

• Robert Burke

Watched by Robert Burke 22 Aug, 2016

Ummmmmmmm...................what?

Rewatching soon because I have no idea what I just saw happen on screen.

All I know is that it is genius.

• The Graduate

★★★★★ Rewatched by The Graduate 21 Aug, 2016

"I collect blondes and bottles too."

Convoluted plot + Bogie & Bacall + Howard Hawks = A perfect film-noir.

• Ben Radetski

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Radetski 19 Aug, 2016 1

C I N E M A

• Jackson Goldsworthy

★★★★ Watched by Jackson Goldsworthy 17 Aug, 2016

A weightless plot; but dripping with style to the point of being soaking wet.

• Adi Mocanu

★★★★ Watched by Adi Mocanu 12 Aug, 2016

The Big Sleep is a great movie about crime, being a detective and other hard to understand stuff. The story is filled with twists, turns, lies, murder and surprises: it's a complex, convoluted film noir. The beginning doesn't make much sense, because many characters and ideas are introduced. Eventually most of it is pieced together, and things wrap up nicely. But you have to think when watching the Big Sleep.

The best part is Philip Marlowe, played by the legendary…

• verbinskifan

★★★★★ Added by verbinskifan

Entropic

• Ana Gabriela

★★★ Watched by Ana Gabriela 10 Aug, 2016

Little confusing to follow, but irresistible to watch. The dialogues are absolutely fantastic.

• Tomas Walther

★★★★ Watched by Tomas Walther 11 Aug, 2016

Alternative version!

• James Hester

Rewatched by James Hester 07 Aug, 2016

I’ve seen this movie many times. Tonight, however, I watched both the 1945 pre-release version and the 1946 theatrical release back-to-back. No matter which version you prefer, it’s one of the all-time great examples of Film Noir.

• Vincent Cook

★★★★ Rewatched by Vincent Cook 04 Aug, 2016

General Sternwood: Do you like orchids?

Philip Marlowe: Not particularly.

General Sternwood: Nasty things. Their flesh is too much like the flesh of men. Their perfume has the rotten sweetness of corruption.

Oh fuck yes.

• Ryan

★★★★ Watched by Ryan 03 Aug, 2016

The reputation this film holds for having a convoluted, almost impossible-to-follow plot stands true. The changes this film underwent from the original 1945 cut to the final 1946 release make me want to see "To Have or Have Not" more than ever, as they really elevate the film. Due for an eventual rewatch.