• DemonToLeanOn

★★½ Watched by DemonToLeanOn 27 Apr, 2016

Humphrey Bogart isn't as big of a pimp as he thinks he is in this.

This is about as straight up and bare bones as noir gets; complete with a twisty (actually too twisty) plot filled with corruption, beautiful seductive women and sharp dialogue, but unfortunately lacks anything interesting beyond that.

Like most, my central problem is the script. What a mess. From the actual crime mystery to just characterization in general, I didn't find myself caring about anything. It's…

• Dan Binns

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Binns 27 Apr, 2016

Just wonderful. The transfer I watched was horrific, but that's not the fault of Hawks, nor Bogey, nor Bacall. Wonderfully written, deftly edited, and perfectly acted and directed, this is Hawks, Humphrey and – let's face it – Chandler, at their very, very best.

• Gareth Rees

★★★★½ Rewatched by Gareth Rees 23 Apr, 2016

9/10.

• joshkaster

★★★★ Watched by joshkaster 24 Apr, 2016

Great

• Christopher Luciano

★★★★ Watched by Christopher Luciano 24 Apr, 2016

The Big Sleep is one of the most solid noire films that I have seen. Script - Good, Acting - Good, Plot - Extremely Good, Twists - Generally good, Romance - Above Average. The Big Sleep has a reputation for being notoriously complicated. To the people who say this movie is complicated I seriously dare you to watch a movie like Mirror, Persona or 8 1/2. If this movie causes you to scratch your head the listed movies above will…

• dakern

★★★★ Watched by dakern 23 Apr, 2016

An almost great noir that is diminished a bit by the limitations of its time. Chandler's novel deserves a more rugged, dark adaptation than was possible in the mid 40s. One of the rare films I wouldn't mind being remade. Wouldn't diminish my affection for this version even a little bit.

• Banners

★★★★ Watched by Banners 20 Apr, 2016

'So you're a private detective. I didn't know they existed, except in books, or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corridors.'

Notoriously convoluted and brilliantly thrilling, The Big Sleep benefits from the sparkling chemistry between its two leads, and the fiendishly smart screenplay. It takes something special to go from the bog-standard noir formula to something truly great, and Howard Hawks manages to find it in spades. The plot is so densely wound that it is hard…

• Filipe Furtado

★★★★ Rewatched by Filipe Furtado 20 Apr, 2016

Release version. Watching both cuts in consecutive days (which I seem to do every time I revisit it) is always a fascinating exercise in how a few changes complete reshape a film from a terrific Warners programmer to something closer to a Hawks hangout film. They aren’t really that much better or worse, but they feel substantially different in spirit.

• Filipe Furtado

★★★★ Rewatched by Filipe Furtado 19 Apr, 2016

Pre release version. Not prime Hawks, but who cares? Even in this more narrative version it still plays more like a series of scenes, it just don’t quite have the level of stylization that a film like To Have and To Have Not does.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★ Watched by An Angry Bear 18 Apr, 2016

I'm not the biggest fan of noirs, but this is one I liked quite a bit. The plot does get very confusing, but the performances keep the viewer grounded.

• ReedRothchild

★★★★ Watched by ReedRothchild 14 Apr, 2016

As sweaty, snarky and hard-boiled as its reputation would suggest, The Big Sleep lives up to its reputation as the epitome of noir style. Humphrey Bogart was born for the role and the ickiness of his character's sexism fits in with the world's appealing moral bankruptcy. Lauren Bacall is also great, bringing a no-shit attitude that makes Bogart's violence slightly easier to watch. Its datedness essentially works in its favour as it situates the film in a very specific space and time and Howard Hawks' beautiful director helps convey this ugly narrative.

• Julia

★★★★★ Watched by Julia 13 Apr, 2016

bogart and bacall are my parents now