• Aranoo

★★★★ Watched by Aranoo 29 May, 2016

Il Detective privato Marlowe indaga su un caso che diventa presto un Enorme matassa fatta di Tradimenti, Bugie e colpi di scena. Un Noir/Thriller con una Trama cosi Complessa ed intricata che c'è il serio rischio che lo spettatore si possa perdere e non capirci piu nulla, ma credo che sia diventato un Cult proprio per questo motivo, Bogart da il meglio mostrandosi un eroe Sarcastico, Freddo e distaccato, un film che crea la giusta tensione, Pieno di Dialoghi Taglienti ed elementi da storie Pulp, pieno di quell atmosfera, quel fascino retrò che non esiste piu.

• Cedric B

★★★★ Watched by Cedric B 27 May, 2016

All characters go through interior and exterior development. Interior development is when a character undergoes change through understanding, revelatory and mundane moments, or significant happenstances. Exterior development is when more of a character is exposed to the viewer through exposition or deduction, so our knowledge of them changes, they themselves don't. The Big Sleep has characters that undergo both types of development both in quick bursts and in slow evolutionary progression. All development becomes imperative to the plot's mystery and all development is discovered, deduced, or thrust upon Philip Marlowe, the private eye we follow. Marlowe our companion through the maze into darkness and mystery.

• Sharp Slender

★★★½ Added by Sharp Slender

Right away you can see why The Big Sleep is a film noir classic. It's dark, black and white and stars Bogart as a charming, exceedingly smart, quick witted and fast talking private detective. There's also your femme fatale, a mystery involving murder and other criminal activities and all the dialogue is objective and paced faster than the cash influx in WB's coffers when this was released. The same can be said of the pacing of the movie as well,…

• ReCreation

★★★★ Watched by ReCreation 26 May, 2016 4

I wish 1940s Hollywood screenwriters just set up shop in my brain to constantly make me sound cool.

• BC Clemmons

★★★★ Rewatched by BC Clemmons 25 May, 2016

The atmosphere of the film is dark and paranoic - full of suspicion, dread, and intrigue. The film's title, The Big Sleep, refers to death. Not perfectly written, but the dialogue still crackles. Bogey and Bacall have such great chemistry.

• jkun88

★★★★½ Watched by jkun88 23 May, 2016

20 Words or Less Recommendation/Review: Difficult to follow and at times confusing, you get rewarded with small payoffs that make a rich experience. Wonderful.

• Sam Batistich

★★★ Watched by Sam Batistich 23 May, 2016

6.2/10

• Malcolm

★★★★½ Watched by Malcolm 23 May, 2016

Bogart is an inspiration. Not only does The Big Sleep have this legendary performance from Bogart, but this performance is heavily complemented by a supporting cast, witty writing, and Hawks' beautiful use of lighting and composition.

• Edgar Chaput

★★★★ Rewatched by Edgar Chaput 23 May, 2016

Sort of understand a tiny bit more of the plot this time around, but not much more so. The film's selling point remains Bogart and Bacall, but admittedly more the former given that he is in literally every scene.

One of my favourite scenes is when Bacall confronts Bogart in the latter's office. She wants to know why her father hired him and he wants to know what she knows. When threatening to call the police to put the matter…

• Austin Vashaw

★★★★ Rewatched by Austin Vashaw 04 May, 2016

The seedy noir tale has a lot for it: enough tough guys, beautiful girls, firecracker dialogue, character reveals, and murderous intrigue to make your head spin. And spin it does: it’s that last one that presents the biggest challenge. The mystery and jumble of characters, motivations, double-crosses, and blackmail is so dense that I admittedly don’t fully comprehend the story, even after a more conscious rewatch.

As its classic poster prominently states, the hot item on this ticket is BOGART…

• Matt Gibbons

★★★½ Watched by Matt Gibbons 23 May, 2016

A Thought That Occured To Me Halfway Through The Movie:

"I have no idea what's going on"
    "sign me up"

I wish this film's story wasn't so convoluted because every other aspect of it is so concentrated that it surprisingly more than makes up for it.
    It's moody visual style, snappy dialogue and engaging characters alone are enough to carry this film through this infamously head-scratching caper. The story almost doesn't even matter as watching the characters go from scene…

• Mattias Eriksson

★★★★ Watched by Mattias Eriksson 21 May, 2016

A bit too complicated plot-wise, I had a hard time keeping all subplots straight, that's when it's great to have Bogie in it to keep me invested, he's awesome per usual. The movie, to me, encapsulates the whole film-noir genre.