• Nate Fisher

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nate Fisher 25 Nov, 2015

I'm so glad I saw this kinda drunk.

• Wesley Emblidge

★★★½ Rewatched by Wesley Emblidge 25 Nov, 2015

Not sure I buy the whole "No, it makes no sense on purpose, that's why it's a masterpiece!" theory, but I can't deny that this thing is extremely watchable. Pretty much every scene is great, problem is connecting them all. The recurring gags - mainly of women constantly hitting on Bogart - all kill, and the pairing of him with Bacall could probably make even terrible writing great.

• Daniel Melvill Jones

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Melvill Jones 01 Nov, 2015

So self assured of its own cleverness you hardly realize how little sense it should actually make.

• Lucyan

★★★ Added by Lucyan

• Paulo Godchalk

★★★½ Watched by Paulo Godchalk 21 Nov, 2015

Rarely are films this confusing so enjoyable.

• Justine Smith

★★★★ Added by Justine Smith

"Philip Marlowe has always embodied the troubled masculinity I find so appealing in film noir. Bogart captured him superficially in Howard Hawks’ The Big Sleep, bringing the weight of experience to Raymond Chandler’s zings and metaphors, as the actor was rugged, not quite handsome and charismatic to a fault. One could imagine women falling at Marlowe’s feet, even when it seems that such a fate would be worse than death. There lies my troubled appreciation of Hawks’ adaptation, which strips Marlowe of his rugged, self-destructive impulse and embraces the romance of Bogart’s appeal."

Read my full review at Vague Visages: vaguevisages.com/2015/11/19/noirvember-howard-hawks-the-big-sleep-1946-neuters-marlowes-hatred/

• JackCuellar

★★★★★ Rewatched by JackCuellar 16 Nov, 2015

"Get up angel, you look like a Pekingese."

• vladimirhumbert

Rewatched by vladimirhumbert 15 Nov, 2015

Watched this as a double-bill with Se7en. Both thoroughly modern films told from the very modernist structure of audience only knowing what the detective knows. Both end with sirens and police at the scene (or soon to arrive) who will struggle to comprehend what's just happened.

• 48ONIRAM

Rewatched by 48ONIRAM 14 Nov, 2015

"It means....Hmm"

"You oughta have her weaned, she's old enough."

"She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

" A half-smart guy, that's what I always draw. Never once a man who's smart all the way around the course. Never once. "
    "I hurt you much, sugar?"
    "You and every other man I've ever met."

"Speaking of horses, I like to play them myself. But I like to see them workout a little first, see…

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½ Rewatched by Njabs Phungula 01 Nov, 2015

Never has a second viewing of any movie been so revealing as it has been with The Big Sleep this time around. Why it worked for me the second time around, I'll never know but I found myself more appreciative of the convoluted plot on this viewing. That's all I have to say.

• Bob Hovey

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bob Hovey 31 Oct, 2015

The plot is so convoluted even the screenwriters couldn't keep it straight. At one point they were confused enough to call Raymond Chandler (the author of the original Phillip Marlow detective yarn) in the middle of the night to find out who killed the Sternwood's chauffeur ... even he didn't know.

The big question is, does it matter? In this case, not a bit ... Howard Hawks has given us one of the seminal film noirs, and with Humphrey Bogart…

• Luke Compton

★★★★½ Watched by Luke Compton 28 Oct, 2015

Really enjoyable.

An incredibly witty script carries this sometimes incoherent gumshoe noir.

This film basically serves as the landmark of private detective noir films. It's got everything you want from this kind of film. Plus, all the elements work so well.

My only problem with the film is how the plot lost me once or twice. It doesn't really matter in the end though. Despite this though, the story is great. It's a solid noir and it has some very…