• androb78

★★★½ Watched by androb78 20 Mar, 2015

Incomprensiblemente, siendo muy aficionado al noir, aún no había visto El sueño eterno... y he de decir que me ha supuesto una pequeña gran decepción.

Es cierto que tiene todos los elementos canónicos y que las escenas que comparten Bogart y Bacall son pura dinamita, pero, sinceramente, esperaba que se convirtiera en mi nueva favorita del género y no ha sido así. Marlowe no es tan cachondo como Sam Spade, y lo peor es que he acabado perdiéndome y desconectando de una trama demasiado farragosa.

• rassoodocks

★★★★ Watched by rassoodocks 23 Mar, 2015

Part 15 of my 12 Directors x 2 Unseen Films thingamajig.

Featuring a plot as labyrinthine as they come, The Big Sleep is nevertheless easily watchable, as the great screenplay by Faulkner (yes, the William Faulkner), Brackett, and Furthman makes every conversation sparkle with wit and tension. Even though it's almost impossible to follow everything, the elusive mystery is part of the fun. And one thing you should be able to follow is the chemistry between the two leads, one of the only constants in the chaos.

• Daryl

★★★½ Watched by Daryl 22 Mar, 2015

So many twists and turns it was a challenge to keep up, witty dialogue and some great characters with Bogey and Bacall having great chemistry throughout this classic noir film. I can appreciate all of the great things, however I felt the plot was somewhat convoluted and just not sure if I'd sit through this film again.

• Christina

★★★★½ Rewatched by Christina 21 Mar, 2015

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall return in a classic film noir full of punches and quips and Bogart taking everyone's guns.

Good: The dialogue is snappy and the chemistry between Bogart and Bacall make this movie work.
    Bad: How can anyone be sneaky when no one locks their car and the registrations are right there for all to clearly read.
    Meh: The plot gets so convoluted and confusing it is almost best to not try and follow. I love that…

• Nino Vukalovic

★★★★ Watched by Nino Vukalovic 19 Mar, 2015

A confusing film-noir that is nevertheless fun to watch, containing some exhilarating scenes and great dialogue.

• Michael Strenski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Strenski 15 Mar, 2015

The best Chandler adaptation. The best Bogart-Bacall film. The funniest movie of 1946. The best noir of them all.

And yet it's not the best Howard Hawks film. That's how good that bastard was.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Rewatched by Bryan Colley 05 Mar, 2015

Ian Fleming was obviously a fan of Raymond Chandler. Give Phillip Marlowe a flag to wave and drop him in another country and he'd be as good a spy as Bond. The Big Sleep offers plenty of James Bond touches, from the witty banter (much witter than any Bond movie), the way women throw themselves at Bogart, the secret compartment in his car where he hides guns, and a gambling scene right out of Casino Royale. The only thing missing…

• Nicole K

★★★★ Watched by Nicole K 03 Mar, 2015

All I want in life is to be as badass as Lauren Bacall

• Scott Fairgrieve

★★★★ Watched by Scott Fairgrieve 28 Feb, 2015

I watched the "inferior" 1945 version, not the 1946 theatrical release that had deleted and re-shot scenes, emphasizing the Bogart/Bacall relationship over the detective story. Will watch the 1946 version later, with a separate rating. (I did, however, watch the famous "horse race conversation" from the 1946 version, because it was so highly regarded. It was brilliant in its double entendre.)

Regardless, the plot is confusing and loose. People say you should just accept that and appreciate the "experience" of…

• El_Sr_Gris

★★★★½ Added by El_Sr_Gris

"Vivian: I don't like your manners.
    Marlowe: And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me."

Imaginad lo absurdamente enrevesado que es el argumento de "El Sueño Eterno": Los…

• Cass Nicholas

★★★★★ Watched by Cass Nicholas 24 Feb, 2015

ughhhhhhhhhhhh I can't describe how much I love this

• Luke Nelson

★★½ Rewatched by Luke Nelson 19 Feb, 2015

Letter Grade: C-

"I collect blondes and bottles too."

I want to like Humphrey Bogart private detective films, I really do, I just can't get myself to enjoy one yet. I've tried this one twice now and it's only a little entertaining. I wish the film made any sort of sense. It's as if a child wrote the story or a middle age man after 15 beers. If the audience isn't sure what is going on at least make the…