• Blake Canham-Bennett

★★★★ Watched by Blake Canham-Bennett 13 Jun, 2013

Bogart is Bogart, and that's great.

I was a little disappointed with this film, as I had already read the book. As enjoyable a film it was, it strayed far from the book in several ways - ranging from a white actor being cast as notably black character in the book and a lack of nudity when it's relevant to the plot (both situations I'd imagine very much come down to a sign of when the film was made more…

• Gareth Rees

★★★★½ Added by Gareth Rees

9/10.

• David Raposa

★★★½ Watched by David Raposa 28 Jan, 2015

Definitely a "give this your undivided attention" movie, not an "unwind & relax after work while eating dinner" movie. Which is to say that I let this movie give me the slip like I was some kind of two-bit chump. Even in my dull stupor, however, Bogie & Bacall (or Bogie & any other fetching young lady giving him a look-see) (or Bogie just being Bogie, cf. "revealing" himself to Geiger's assistant) are a pleasure that even the dopiest dope can enjoy.

• disinvite

★★★½ Rewatched by disinvite 15 Nov, 2014

It’s been a number of years since I last saw The Big Sleep, so maybe that’s why I’m still sort of struggling with the convoluted plot that it's famous for. I mean, I know that trying to make sense of it is a fool’s errand, and isn’t even the point of the exercise to begin with. Even so, it feels like a trick played on the audience, especially because none of the characters in the movie seem to have any…

• RetroReef

★★★★½ Watched by RetroReef 26 Jan, 2015

I watched this in several pieces over a week and this made the movie even harder to follow, but really that didn't matter. I plan to watch this again soon. Love Bogart and Bacall.

• Sam Schulte

★★★★½ Watched by Sam Schulte 24 Jan, 2015

bogie, bacall, hawks, chandler, faulkner..... what else do you need?

this one goes down smooooth

• KasperL

★★★★★ Rewatched by KasperL 22 Jan, 2015

Bogart IS Marlowe. And the dialogue is this freaking cool: "I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings."

• Alec Price

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Price 17 Jan, 2015

A fiendishly convoluted noir, The Big Sleep is a masterclass in obfuscation, hiding its mysteries within a near impenetrable labyrinthine structure, where who killed who is ultimately rendered an abstract question. Bogart is on top form as the most famous of P.I. Philip Marlowe's screen incarnations, and he's matched by the bewitching Lauren Bacall, their sparkling interplay fizzing with sexual chemistry. Indeed, given the constraints of the Production Code, Hawks' renowned adaptation of Chandler's lurid pulp fiction is impressively bawdy, where friskiness abounds even in rare book stores. Delightfully devious.

• Carter

★★★★½ Rewatched by Carter 18 Jan, 2015

What happens in the plot of THE BIG SLEEP? Who cares? We've got a miniskirted Martha Vickers, a sassy Lauren Bacall, and smooth-as-shit Humphrey Bogart.

So much snappy dialogue:

Librarian: "You know, you don't look like a man who would be interested in first editions."
    Bogie: "I collect blondes and bottles too."

The Dude abides.

• Flickers in Time

★★★★½ Rewatched by Flickers in Time 09 Jul, 2013

Movies have taken a back seat to life lately and when life rears its ugly head there is nobody better than Bogart for a little boost. This is a fun but perplexing adaptation of the Raymond Chandler novel. Reviewed on flickersintime.com July 10, 2013.

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kerry Maxwell 13 Jan, 2015

One of these days I'll figure out who killed Owen Taylor.

I hadn't seen this since VHS days, when my kids were very young, and I was very sleep deprived. I put some heavy wear on the play heads with this one, and parts of it are imprinted in my head in a strange dream-like way. This and the earlier Marlowe adaptation Murder, My Sweet were two of my earliest experiences with classic noir, and remain two of my favorite…

• Noel Hahn

★★★★★ Watched by Noel Hahn 13 Jan, 2015

2015: 52 Weeks of Film: Week 3, Film 1 of 3

Being a huge fan of Film Noir, specifically 1940's Film Noir, it is not a surprise that I liked this film so much.

The writing, quick banter and innuendos are perfect. Humphrey Bogart is his usual self- the brooding detective with a bite to him. And the female leads have some gumption to them.

Overall, fantastic.