• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

Like most, I had no idea what the hell was going on with the convoluted plot of the film. And, as far as atmosphere goes, this film is not as noirish as some. But damn...the teaming of Bogie and Bacall - their sizzling chemistry - and their dialogue...damn. Hard-boiled, tough guy, tough chick, private dick heaven. Timeless stuff.

• Artorias

★★★★★ Watched by Artorias 21 Apr, 2015 3

The Big Sleep has my third favorite screenplay of all time, I mean, the plot is highly intriguing, it takes constant turns and it becomes an old-fashioned bloodbath where everybody seems to get killed but what really shines is the perfect dialogue, it's witty, fast, it's comically stylized and always subversive which makes it thrilling as hell, every line is pure poetry which is great since this is a talky film. And there's no one like Howard Hawks to tell this story since he makes in two hours what others would make in five, the masterpiece's pumped with never stopping energy, leaving no dull moment.

• walterporto

★★★½ Watched by walterporto 14 Apr, 2015

Ah, os noirs que dependem de diálogos e histórias excessivamente intrincados e de personagens que nunca aparecem. Mas como os atores brilham.

• Justin Harrison

★★★★½ Watched by Justin Harrison 16 Apr, 2015

Howard Hawks gets storytelling and he gets people. Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart have astonishing chemistry together and individual gifts for language that make watching them an utter pleasure. What a fantastic, fantastic film.

• Michael Thompson

★★★★½ Watched by Michael Thompson 14 Apr, 2015 1

Just about the only thing I didn't like in this film was the love story. Don't get me wrong, it's great and very interesting but did it really match up with everything else? Maybe I went into this with a "detective story" mindset instead of a romantic one, but something just felt off about it. Of course, I suppose something almost always feels off about romance in a film noir. How could two people who know next to nothing about…

• Rain Antonov

★★★ Watched by Rain Antonov 07 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I'm going to preface this review by saying that I've never been a fan of Humphrey Bogart, or the hyper-masculine stereotype that he helped popularize. I've also never been a huge fan of Howard Hawks for some reason, but I tried to put all those things aside before watching this film. And once I had dug down into the seedy world of Philip Marlowe, i found a well-made film noir about the search for truth and the impossibility of true…

• GCF

★★★★½ Watched by GCF 18 Mar, 2015

Finally, I have seen the film that both The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice take quite a lot of inspiration from. A purposely convoluted plot that doesn't tie together in a neat bow by the end. There are several spots that are left unexplained and untouched in how it exactly connects to the big picture. This is a quality that isn't necessarily in all detective noir films, but it is in some of my favorites. And it all arguably began…

• Michael Miller

★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Miller 29 Mar, 2015

Howard Hawks' The Big Sleep has a wide reputation for being one of cinemas greatest conundrums, and I couldn't agree more. Externally, it is a completely frustrating watch, with a head scratching plot that accentuates as both needlessly convoluted and infuriatingly logic defying. However despite its stream of loose ends, and it's lack of dedication to any one of its various subplots, I could never describe my feeling at the end of each viewing as one of exhaustion. If nothing…

• androb78

★★★½ Watched by androb78 20 Mar, 2015

Incomprensiblemente, siendo muy aficionado al noir, aún no había visto El sueño eterno... y he de decir que me ha supuesto una pequeña gran decepción.

Es cierto que tiene todos los elementos canónicos y que las escenas que comparten Bogart y Bacall son pura dinamita, pero, sinceramente, esperaba que se convirtiera en mi nueva favorita del género y no ha sido así. Marlowe no es tan cachondo como Sam Spade, y lo peor es que he acabado perdiéndome y desconectando de una trama demasiado farragosa.

• rassoodocks

★★★★ Watched by rassoodocks 23 Mar, 2015

Part 15 of my 12 Directors x 2 Unseen Films thingamajig.

Featuring a plot as labyrinthine as they come, The Big Sleep is nevertheless easily watchable, as the great screenplay by Faulkner (yes, the William Faulkner), Brackett, and Furthman makes every conversation sparkle with wit and tension. Even though it's almost impossible to follow everything, the elusive mystery is part of the fun. And one thing you should be able to follow is the chemistry between the two leads, one of the only constants in the chaos.

• Daryl

★★★½ Watched by Daryl 22 Mar, 2015

So many twists and turns it was a challenge to keep up, witty dialogue and some great characters with Bogey and Bacall having great chemistry throughout this classic noir film. I can appreciate all of the great things, however I felt the plot was somewhat convoluted and just not sure if I'd sit through this film again.

• Christina

★★★★½ Rewatched by Christina 21 Mar, 2015

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall return in a classic film noir full of punches and quips and Bogart taking everyone's guns.

Good: The dialogue is snappy and the chemistry between Bogart and Bacall make this movie work.
    Bad: How can anyone be sneaky when no one locks their car and the registrations are right there for all to clearly read.
    Meh: The plot gets so convoluted and confusing it is almost best to not try and follow. I love that…