• Alexander Abrams

★★★★★ Watched by Alexander Abrams 29 Apr, 2016

The Big Sleep has a reputation for being a film that gets lost in its own complexity and which fails to clearly identify all the perpetrators of all the murders that litter its scenes. There is a certain truth to this: the plot is extremely complicated, and it requires the viewer to mentally track an unexpected number of characters. There is not, however, as much truth to the accusation that the film never exposes all the killers: only one killer…

• Dan Binns

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Binns 27 Apr, 2016

Just wonderful. The transfer I watched was horrific, but that's not the fault of Hawks, nor Bogey, nor Bacall. Wonderfully written, deftly edited, and perfectly acted and directed, this is Hawks, Humphrey and – let's face it – Chandler, at their very, very best.

• Julia

★★★★★ Watched by Julia 13 Apr, 2016

bogart and bacall are my parents now

• Mark Gubarenko

★★★★★ Watched by Mark Gubarenko 03 Apr, 2016

• Kevin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kevin 30 Mar, 2016

*prelease version*
    Studios wanting reshoots for films to add in love interests and develop some often unnecessary parts was nothing new then and is still used often today but this film can stand as an example of how those reshoots can improve a film

• Biff Brandon

★★★★★ Added by Biff Brandon

One of my favorite Bogart films. I return to this one again and again. Not a false not in the entire thing. I love how the tone switches from light and fun to deadly serous and back. Howard Hawks is so in command here, even though he had a script that didn't make 100% logical sense. He just powers through it.

I have to add that Elisha Cook Jr. is probably my favorite character. He is used by a dame and pays the ultimate price for it. And he lets you know, with very few words, that he was glad he did it.

• Hannah C

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hannah C 06 Mar, 2016

"Is he as cute as you are?"
    "Nobody is."

• Chili Palmer

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chili Palmer 05 Mar, 2016

Just a fantastic noir.
    Bogie is great, wonderful femme fatales, fun dialogue.
    Plot is definitely convoluted, but in this movie it is simply not the main element.

• Michael Strenski

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael Strenski 04 Mar, 2016

I wholeheartedly endorse every rational decision made by Marlowe in this movie as the correct move, except for not calling back that cute cab driver.

• Sean Gilman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 02 Mar, 2016 5

Overtime I see this, the crime at its heart seems like its going to make sense, but it never does.

Coming up on the next episode of The Frances Farmer Show.

• Frederick Barbarossa

★★★★★ Added by Frederick Barbarossa

Fantastic dialogue. Bogart at his finest.

• kippe