• Rocco Tenaglia

★★★★★ Watched by Rocco Tenaglia 10 Sep, 2014 2

"I guess I'm in love with you."

One of the all-time great "love stories". Snappy, poetic dialogue coming from the mouths of two of the best who ever delivered it. Film noir at its finest.

• Jandy Hardesty

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jandy Hardesty 16 Aug, 2014

I offhandedly suggested we add in a movie night this week to watch this in tribute to Lauren Bacall, and we didn't have time during the week, so Jonathan picked it for his turn on our regular movie night! He hadn't seen it before, and ended up loving it, so it worked out great.

I've seen it a half dozen times, but I'm always thrilled to watch it again. I had such a crush on Bogart in this back in the day.

• Mr. DuLac

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mr. DuLac 13 Aug, 2014

I liked that. I'd like more.
    -Vivian Rutledge

Who was the real star here? Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall or the completely unrealistic, cynical, rapid fire yet impossibly entertaining dialogue? The plot maybe indecipherably convoluted but that doesn't matter as you get to see Bogart and Bacall verbally declare war on each other in a Howard Hawks films.

It's easy to forget that this was only Bacall's third film and that she was only 20 years old at the time. Her…

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dan Gaertner 14 Aug, 2014

RIP Lauren Bacall.

• Raindogsrafa

★★★★★ Rewatched by Raindogsrafa 01 Aug, 2014

Precioso blanco y negro, diálogos brillantes y divertidos, secundarios espléndidos robando planos, Bogart fumando y bebiendo como nunca (o como siempre) y la Bacall rascándose la rodilla, es decir obra maestra.

• Emmett Foss

★★★★★ Watched by Emmett Foss 06 Jul, 2014

Fuck this was great. Bogie and Bacall are obviously great, and the whole film was really engaging to watch. I absolutely loved it.

• SLionsCricket

★★★★★ Watched by SLionsCricket 06 Jul, 2014 4

Though criticized for its convoluted plot and overuse of characters, Howard Hawks masterpiece The Big Sleep is one of cinema's defining film-noirs. With endless plot, action, excitement and suspense, Hawks' The Big Sleep is one of cinema's finest films, not for story, but for pure entertainment. In an era such as this, Hawks' The Big Sleep marks one of the few most consistently entertaining and gripping masterpieces.

Philip Marlowe, a private detective, is hired by the rich Sternwood family to…

• Dustin Sells

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dustin Sells 25 Jun, 2014

Warning fangirling below:

I love this movie so much. Everything is perfect: the editing, the pacing, the dialogue, the shot composition, the costuming, the sets, and the performances...oh the performances! I'm not just talking about Bogart and Bacall who are incendiary, but even the eight line extras are absolutely perfect.

The plot is dense but follow-able if one pays attention. Every aspiring filmmaker should be required to watch it.

• madquark

★★★★★ Rewatched by madquark 16 May, 2014

Una obra maestra. No se puede decir más.

• Nigel Smith

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nigel Smith 13 May, 2014

Great to watch this with an audience at Tufnell Park Film Club. I'd forgotten how many funny lines are in it. My favourite exchange:

Female Taxi Driver: If you can use me again sometime, call this number.
    Philip Marlowe: Day and night?
    Female Taxi Driver: Uh, night's better. I work during the day.

• trolleyfreak

★★★★★ Added by trolleyfreak

In this fiendishly complex whodunit Hawks takes advantage of the sizzling chemistry between Bogie and Betty that he first tapped into on To Have And Have Not. Chandler’s famous private dick Marlowe would be brought to the screen in many incarnations but none more effective than Bogie’s iconic portrayal. The plot is irrelevant; just revel in the scintillating dialogue and the directorial touches of a master craftsman.

• Baz Film

★★★★★ Watched by Baz Film 09 Mar, 2014 2

*WARNING! THIS REVIEW IS MORE-ISH*

More twists than an Alton Towers roller coaster.

More cigarettes than outside an airport departures lounge

More sexier than my profile picture

More cooler than a polar bears toe nail

More Bogey than The African Queen and Casablanca combined

More noir than Chinatown

More everything.

The more I think I about it, the more I loved it.

More please!