• Cliff

★★★★ Added by Cliff 1

When I was booking a holiday in Rome last year, I thought it would be a nice idea to stay in a hotel over the road from the zoo, close to where the killer lives in The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. And I found a very nice hotel that fit that criteria, so that was good.

But when you actually go to the zoo and try to figure out where the bit was filmed - the scene where the…

• André Dick

★★★★★ Watched by André Dick 25 Apr, 2016

Filme de estreia de Dario Argento, este é uma obra-prima do suspense, com fotografia de Vittorio Storaro e trilha sonora de Ennio Morricone (com alguns sons de bateria copiados em "Birdman"). Com um roteiro cheio de reviravoltas, o design de produção é um atrativo à parte.

• Peter Gatt

★★★ Watched by Peter Gatt 20 Apr, 2016 2

The less said about the plot of this film is for the best not that it's awful but it should be seen without any advanced knowledge

Argento's first film is a treat

Forgot to mention the unbilled appearance of Reggie Nalder

• Connor Adamson

★★★★ Watched by Connor Adamson 16 Apr, 2016

Trying to hop back on the Letterboxd Season Challenge by going to Week 26: Italian Genres Week. I decided to pick another Dario Argento giallo film: his debut feature, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. After previously seeing Suspiria, I was expecting another film full of trippy visuals and unique music. While this film was not quite as stylized, it also works very well and serves a great thriller film with a mystery.

The film opens with an American writer…

• Cipriano

★★★½ Watched by Cipriano 17 Apr, 2016

It's got everything you'd expect from a Dario Argento film. That includes a nonsensical plot and making fun of his own film but, if you are already familiar with his style, you would know the coherence is the least important. It doesn't matter how dumb the film is, always gets to be fully entertaining, and joking around with itself makes it even more fun to watch.
    The art direction in this film, as well as in most Argento's films, is…

• TheRingshifter

★★★★ Watched by TheRingshifter 16 Apr, 2016

Watched the English dub, AR 2.35:1.00

Man! I was kind of dreading this. Giallo just never really appealed to me that much as a genre. Just sounded cheesy... the sexuality, the pulp murders... but then again, the striking visuals excited me.

And right from the start, the film grabs you. Well, maybe not right away, we get a thing with photo viewfinders, then a cool scene with some scenes, then kind of a weird scene, which I think are like…

• Mark Tinta

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mark Tinta 14 Apr, 2016

For all practical purposes, the giallo begins here. Still stunning after all these years.

• Wes Ball

★★★★ Watched by Wes Ball 09 Apr, 2016

Dario Argento's freshman feature film is a fantastic starter to the wonderfully insane gene of giallo. Its unique blend of horror tension and whodunnit plot elements combine together to create an insane experience with a psychologically tantalizing "la-la-la-la-la" soundtrack motif. The plot takes every which way of twists and turns until you don't know which way is up, but by the time the story ended, I found myself surprisingly satisfied with what I saw. I have no doubt now that…

• EnteredTheVoid

★★★★ Watched by EnteredTheVoid 09 Apr, 2016

Style, style, style, Argento has it in spades. That's what makes him a cut above other Italian horror directors. His films are astounding to look at, of course helped here by the master Vittorio Storaro. Not only is this film visually pleasing it's soundtrack is also great too giving a nice bonus as well as having a tense narrative that doesn't let up until the final few scenes.

• Jennifer

★★★ Watched by Jennifer 19 Mar, 2016

Decent thriller.

• GrantFDM

★★★★½ Watched by GrantFDM 05 Apr, 2016

Expertly directed debut from the Maestro of modern Italian Horror. Except, of course, this is a Giallo – and a damn fine one at that.

• Nyctophobic

★★★ Rewatched by Nyctophobic 04 Apr, 2016

+ great plot, great twist: entertaining as a story to follow till the very end, engaging as a riddle for the viewer to solve with the various clues left around
    + main character okay: he is hot

- lacks every quality that makes italian cinema any remarkable, no color, no music, no ambience, no sass, no class
    - police sub plot too long and too dense: watching 2 policemen repeating the same stuff we already know for 30 minutes is just not fun, less talk, more action k thx.

= unmemorable crime/thriller