• Derenzo

★★★★ Added by Derenzo

My favorite of Dario's Animal Trilogy.

• Brian Stack

★★ Watched by Brian Stack 04 Nov, 2015

The plot could easily inspire an episode of Law & Order. A few detours make it worth watching, including the slightly bizarre scene with an enigmatic artist. The end is a let down and the mental illness explanation seems trite. Worth watching because you can see its influence all over modern horror films, but it doesn't hold up well.

• Jeff Williams

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 11 Nov, 2015

Argento's most efficient, even-handed giallo that's devoid of any dull periods or self indulgent moments. The Morricone score is one of his most unsettling, the photography is beautiful and the supporting characters are effective and surprisingly humorous. The only misstep was changing the lead character from a reporter to a non-fiction writer. As a reporter he would be much more motivated to find the killer for professional reasons. Still, a superb film and my personal favorite.

• Joseph Blackwell

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Blackwell 10 Nov, 2015

Argento's first film establishes many of his directorial trademarks, and many of the archetypal characters of the Giallo genre.
    The sleazy, early 70s Roman setting is excellently accompanied by Ennio Morricone's score, which is one of his loosest, jazziest efforts which stands in bold contrast to his more sweeping, romantic works he is also known for.
    Dark, shadowy cinematography combines greatly with the vibrant red blood that is being spilled, and the mystery that it is supporting is great as well. Overall a really entertaining Giallo from the maestro!

• Ben Riley

★★★★ Watched by Ben Riley 03 Nov, 2015

"How many times do I have to tell you, he belongs with the transvestites, not the perverts!"

A tantalizingly unvarnished work of voyeurism, a pure immersion in perverse curiosity and violent fantasy fulfillment. Hannibal Lector taught us that lust begins in the eyes; Argento brings us into the perspective of the killer through the camera he uses to document his prospective victims to capturing each lurid detail of the killings. Then, to compound this vision of dark inquisition, we're given…

• Pieter Hansderson

★★★★½ Watched by Pieter Hansderson 26 Oct, 2015

The finest of the "animal" trilogy, Argento's debut is strong, stylish and confident with an equally excellent soundtrack by Ennio Morricone.

#26: Hooptober 2.0

• Chris Voss

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Voss 30 Oct, 2015

Hoop-Tober 2015 Entry #31

And we come to the end (except I'm still watching THE RING as I write this)...

I have to come back and write more about this movie. I was talking in my review for THE CAT O' NINE TAILS that it was maybe unfairly overlooked and I still believe that, but can understand it a bit better after re-watching BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE again. Damn what a great movie.

Once again I notice something Argento…

• Andy F.

★★★½ Watched by Andy F. 31 Oct, 2015

Probably my favorite part of the Giallo genre is the way the coincidental surroundings of an unspeakable act of violence play into the unfolding of the narrative. In this case the bird motif. Quite excellent, probably my third favorite Argento behind Deep Red and Suspiria.

• Jonathan Storey

★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Storey 31 Oct, 2015

Less batshit than Suspiria, which makes the logic lapses less forgivable, but still has an eerie menace to it.

• Jack Welch

★★★★ Added by Jack Welch

Dario Argento's directorial debut proudly revives what I think of as the "Mr. Arkadin"/"The Third Man" narrative tradition, in which the investigation of a crime takes the form of a shaggy dog series of encounters between a vulgar American and a seemingly endless parade of eccentric, obviously unsavory Europeans. As the grotesque bit players pile up (with, here and there, a murder or a life-and-death chase to remind us that, after all, they're supposed to be the sane ones), we…

• Mrchef

Watched by Mrchef 22 Oct, 2015

#22/31 - 31 Days of Horror (2015)

• Michael Stuhlman

★★★½ Watched by Michael Stuhlman 20 Oct, 2015

HoopTober #19

Argento pulls out another great little horror flick in the early 70's. Though it follows some of the director's typical plot points (murder, makeshift detectives, a central mystery, lots of blood and pretty colors, great music). It was an easy film to watch though I don't think it would count among the director's top tier work. It's one worth seeing multiple times and a rewatch is bound to happen down the road. Hopefully it holds up.