• Gatopardo

★★★★½ Added by Gatopardo

rome makes the perfect scenario for a murder mystery. I loved the gallery scene and how argento is capable of making the dark nights of rome very attractive by playing with the lights. He would repeat this strategy in other movies like Opera, Deep red and Tenebre but in my opinion, none like these dangerous and bava-like obscure streets in which the leathered murderer is waiting for a reckless witness or a beautiful alla seventies blonde girl

• Wesley Jacobson

★★★½ Added by Wesley Jacobson

An overlooked Argento film that is nearly his best. In fact, it just might be. A rare giallo film that manages to deliver its thrills without the gore and nudity.

• Chris Ward

★★★½ Watched by Chris Ward 10 Jul, 2015

It's been sat on my shelf for over a year so I thought it was about time to watch it. It's not amazing but enjoyable enough with a few inventive flurries that mark it out from the other Hitchcock knock-offs.

• Obistrike

★★★½ Rewatched by Obistrike 08 Jul, 2015 2

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage. What a title, what a debut, bellissimo!

This a nice little Euro thriller, while still finding his feet, all the usual Dario tropes are present and correct, albeit not to the same grandiose scale as his later macabre master classes. Nonetheless, Argento light is still Argento: knifes, gloves, paintings, ornaments, luscious ladies, loose ends, amateur sleuths and deranged psychopaths abound! Well worth a watch if this sort of thing floats your boat.

Pleasant for ones pheasant! Capisce?

• Avaitor

★★★★ Watched by Avaitor 04 Jul, 2015

This is kind of a remake of the Man Who Knew Too Much, but unique and clever enough to hold up on its own. Argento is still finding his voice and style, but he made a solid debut with believable tension and some fantastic scares here.

• matt lynch

★★★★ Rewatched by matt lynch 24 Jun, 2015

"Bring out the perverts!"

We watch him watch her. Pure voyeurism.

• 2cokes1popcorn
  • Ben Zuk

★★★★ Watched by Ben Zuk 12 Jun, 2015

This is only the second Argento film I've seen and I'm really glad that it's sparked my interest in seeing more of his work.

Without delving into spoiler territory- the film deals primarily with memory and the role memory/perspective play in our lives. It's all done with spectacular style, innovation, and frankly a lot more thought than I expected for a film in this genre.

• Kevin Olson

★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin Olson 09 Aug, 2009

Vittorio Sotaro's cinematography is the highlight of Dario Argento's first film. You can see the Italian horror maestro working out the narrative kinks and fine-tuning his process, which would pay off five years later with what is arguably his tightest piece of storytelling and greatest aesthetic achievement (although I give the edge to Suspiria), Deep Red. Mandatory viewing for anyone interested in delving into Argento's oeuvre or Italian horror in general.

• Alan

★★★ Watched by Alan 01 Jun, 2015

This one time in my early twenties I bought a bottle of J&B whiskey because they drink it in all the old Italian flicks. It was absolutely disgusting but I drank it anyway and puked my ass off.

Anyway, like almost all Argento this looks great and has some amazing set-pieces but also features a bunch of dumb plot turns and boring detective-work nonsense. Argento fans always bang on about how this stuff is "part of it" but meh, whatever.…

• Doug Dibbern

★★★★ Rewatched by Doug Dibbern 29 May, 2015 2

The murder scenes at the beginning and ending are tours de force vis a vis the mise en scene.

• L. Smith

★½ Watched by L. Smith 28 May, 2015

______________________________________________________________________

Film #28 of the Scavenger Hunt #2 challenge
    Task #21: A giallo film.
    ______________________________________________________________________

My first giallo film. I thought I'd never watch one of these, and that's mainly because I thought all them were second-rate horror thrillers. I'll admit I was wrong about them, but seeing as how The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is hailed as one of the best giallo films, they aren't anything great either.

This film is an engaging one, but it's at times…