• GenkiB

★★½ Rewatched by GenkiB 05 May, 2014

A friend gave me this a while back and it sat unwatched for a long time coz I knew nothing about it. I knew it was by Dario Argento and I’d seen some his horror films, which were memorable for certain scenes, but I hadn’t really liked (For example: “Suspiria”. Coz of those, I took my time getting to this one. Finally when I had watched it I said to my friend, “Yeah, it was OK. Pretty cool because it’s…

• Tommy

★★★★ Rewatched by Tommy 19 Jan, 2015

Open your eyes. It's all about perception, be it audio or visual. Argento got better at this later, but even at this stage he was operating on an entirely different level than the rest of his ilk.

• Joshsg87

★★★★ Added by Joshsg87

Great early Argento. Good mystery and early in his career and visual style.

• zachfree

★★★½ Watched by zachfree 04 Jan, 2015

More of a thriller than a horror movie, with a big focus on the mystery of the killer and the police investigation. There's a good twist here and a few red herrings, but if you've seen Argento before you can likely guess who the killer is. Still, this is an impressive debut and a good introduction to what's to come later. There's even a little humor thrown in here which seems to have dissipated from Argento's style in later films.

• Eltopo68

★★★½ Rewatched by Eltopo68 16 Dec, 2014

Argento's first in his animals trilogy (along with "Cat 'O Nine Tails and "Four Flies on Grey Velvet"), this lacks the elaborate set-pieces and wild camerawork that would mark his later films. It contains all of the hallmarks of later works like "Deep Red" (black gloves, protagonists that saw something at the seem of the crime that they can't quite recall, bizarre supporting characters), but doled out on a much more subdued scale. Must see for Giallo enthusiasts, but for those wondering what the Argento fuss is all about should seek out "Suspiria" and "Deep Red."

• Scott W. Black

★★★ Rewatched by Scott W. Black 05 Nov, 2014

Argento's first giallo is far from his best, but it does have its visually appealing moments.

• Pedro Cinemaxunga

★★★★ Watched by Pedro Cinemaxunga 15 Nov, 2014

Amazingly crafted.

• Tom Morton

★★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 10 Nov, 2014

The plot is shaky, the central mystery fails to build up much momentum and the ending drags on for far too long. HOWEVER I think this might be the best collection of oddball supporting characters I've ever seen in a film. Every new face brings new delights, strange personality quirks rendered even funnier by the textbook sloppy dubbing. Combine the brilliant gallery of weirdos with some stylish Argento set-pieces and you have Giallo gold - great fun.

• Shawn

★★★½ Watched by Shawn 14 Oct, 2014

This is the Argento I know... the man who can make a simple premise, extremely complicated, and full of great giallo tropes. Suspiria, and Deep Red are his only movies that could be argued are better then this, and it could be said this might be his best.

Entered Flickchart at 230

• JaumeMuntane

★★★★ Rewatched by JaumeMuntane 01 Nov, 2014

Opera prima de Dario Argento i film de gran impacte en el món del giallo i del thriller. Beu del cine criminal i de Hitchock i ofereix la posada en escena tan característica d'Argento.

Opera prima of Dario Argento and a film of great impact into the world of giallo and thriller. Based on criminal films and Hitchock movies, provides a stylized mise en scene (one of the main characteristics of Argento films).

• Felix Brühl

★★★ Watched by Felix Brühl 08 Sep, 2014

Der ganze Text: felham.me/2014/10/31/the-bird-with-the-crystal-plumage/

Nachdem Suspiria einer meiner Favoriten des letztjährigen Horrorctober war, hatte ich vielleicht etwas zu viele Erwartungen an meinen zweiten Argento.
    Aber zum Film: Die erzählte Geschichte ist dabei weniger spannend, eher sind es die Bilder und die schrulligen Typen, die den Film interessant machen. Den Soundtrack von Suspiria habe ich nach einem Jahr noch im Ohr, bei The Bird with the Crystal Plumage ging er mir sehr viel schneller verloren.

(Da ich befürchtete, im Oktober keine dreizehn Film für den Horrorctober zu schaffen, habe ich im September bereits einen kleinen Horrorctober praecox eingelegt. Dieser war der erste von fünf Horrorctober praecox-Filmen.)

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Watched by ScreeningNotes 28 Oct, 2014 4

Not Quite Hoop-Tober: Day 28

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is another giallo from director Dario Argento, and by "another" I mean it was the first feature film he directed and the sixth feature film I've seen directed by him. For anyone unfamiliar with the genre, giallos are generally horror-inflected murder mysteries where an outsider (not a detective or police officer) investigates murders committed by a villain who dresses like he really wants to be the villain in a…