• "Beat" Lepistö

★★★½ Watched by "Beat" Lepistö 01 Oct, 2014

Hoop-Toober Film #1

And so begins the epic 31-horror-films marathon of the month and it starts with Argento film. Well, I guess it's hard to top that.

Every director has some influences and when one does his/her first film, those influences can be perhaps more visible than in the other works. It is the case with Argento. Hitchcock's influence is present all the way through and the viewer even gets to enjoy some moments which feel like homages to the…

• zac3

★★★½ Watched by zac3 27 Sep, 2014

Part 3/7 of the Dario Argento project.

• KerryMaxwell

★★★★ Rewatched by KerryMaxwell 18 Sep, 2014

Rewatched as the first half of a Giallo double-feature at The Brattle (with What Have You Done to Solange?).

Quite a different experience seeing this in the theatre with the english dub (and a period correct poor print). I didn't realize just how much humor there was when I first saw this with the italian soundtrack, but the whole affair seemed rather lighthearted and farcical in comparison. Being freed from trying to make proper logical sense of the plot added…

• Magnusp

★★★★ Rewatched by Magnusp 18 Sep, 2014

Rewatching BWCP on blu ray is quite a joy. Its a striking film - especially given it is Argentos first.
    The plot only make sense within the logic of a true giallo; however it dos not prevent my joy for the red herrings and the idea of art as the drive towards death.
    Tony Musante seriously lacks credibility as a writer or even a private investegator, but on the other hand Suzie Kendall gets alot out of her limited screen time.

• Cinemole

★★★★ Watched by Cinemole 09 Aug, 2014

Enjoyed this enormously. Fans of terrible Italian dubbing will also have a blast

• Pandamonium

★★★★½ Added by Pandamonium

A recent discussion on the giallo genre opened, as it turns out, my eyes to a new world of cinema. Before, I discounted it as exploitation horror, but due to some positive comments on giallos I decided to give one a try and I'm glad I did. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is a nearly perfect film and a very impressive debut for famed director Dario Argento. Apparently, it is one of his more plot-heavy films, which is impressive…

• Ryan H.

★★★ Watched by Ryan H. 02 Sep, 2013

All in all, it's a fine debut. Not as provocative or viscerally unnerving as many of the Argento films to follow, but Argento's style is nevertheless fully present. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is lush and vibrant if not particularly fluid. In its best moments, it twists its thriller plot into something that is altogether more ethereal and abstract than Hitchcock and less cheeky than De Palma.

Incidentally, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is the only Argento film…

• trolleyfreak

★★★★ Watched by trolleyfreak 10 Aug, 2014

Argento's directorial debut came just a couple of years after he impressed with his work alongside Bertolucci on the script of Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West.

It's a particularly Italianate spin on the Hitchcockian thriller and also has echoes of Powell's Peeping Tom from a decade earlier.

Morricone's score and Storaro's excellent 'Scope cinematography also impress in a tightly constructed thriller which sustains tension all the way through to the surprise ending..

• KerryMaxwell

★★★★ Watched by KerryMaxwell 01 Aug, 2014

Day One of Argento in August

Saving most of it's batshit-insane dream-like weirdness for the finalé, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage seems a more straightforward murder thriller for much of it's running time. Of course it wouldn't be giallo if it wasn't convoluted, implausible, and heavily stylized.

As a fan of the early 70's TV show Toma, Tony Musante brought a likeability to the lead role that helped keep me engaged with the preposterous plot, and the lack of gore, and scenes of overt humor made this an enjoyable example of the giallo genre.

• kongo77

★★★★ Added by kongo77

Izgubljena karika između Hitchcocka i De Palme.

• Amanda Hamilton

★★ Watched by Amanda Hamilton 13 Jul, 2014

I think there may be something to my giallo theory: that they take this is detached approach to the horror so that its more of a voyeurism mind game than putting the viewer in place of the victim. At this point, I'm just getting through this backlog on my Watchlist. Surely there has to be ONE giallo movie that doesn't leave me cold besides "Phemonena", right? (a little Jennifer Connelly goes a long way)

There's not really much to say…

• QED

★★★★ Watched by QED 14 Jul, 2014

Directed by Dario Argento this film based on the novel “The Screaming Mimi” stars Tony Mustante and Suzy Kendall. A down on his luck American writer in Rome gets embroiled in the the hunt for a serial killer.

When it comes to the plot this is a fairly average story that does not have a huge amount of thematic depth really. Where this film really shines is in the direction that is both tense and captures violence in a way…