• travis_bickle76

★★½ Watched by travis_bickle76 17 Apr, 2015

Dario Argento's debut directorial effort, which tells the story of a US writer who thinks he witnesses an attempted murder whilst in Italy. You can tell that Argento was keen to explore many different styles in his movies with being the basis for many directors in the following years.

• dogeric25

★★★★ Added by dogeric25

Solid thriller. Unfortunately I watched the dub so I did struggle to stay thoroughly engaged. The twist was also pretty silly and obvious, but that never really detracts from the giallo experience.

• cblaze

★★★½ Watched by cblaze 05 Apr, 2015

I really liked the beginning of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - there was a lot of interesting mystery right up front with our lead character being trapped while witnessing an attempted murder and the police needing his help. It was visually striking and intense - I expected more of the same to follow.

But once our hero resigns himself to help the police, his motivations seem to become lost to me. I think no scene sums it up…

• Jeff Williams

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 18 Mar, 2015 2

Dario Argento's classiest giallo with a sound, thrilling, but surprisingly humorous script containing colorful characters like Mario Adorf's cat-loving, pretentious artist hermit, Gildo Di Marco's sensitive, stuttering pimp, and Werner Peter's fabulously gay art shop dealer. The Ennio Morricone soundtrack is one of his most unsettling and haunting. The film was a massive influence on many subsequent thrillers from around the world.

• Paukzen

★★½ Watched by Paukzen 30 Jan, 2010

DVIX, Casa Pollio

• Jaume Vaquer

★★★★½ Watched by Jaume Vaquer 09 Mar, 2015

Mira que el protagonista es tirando a sosito y que hay bastantes tonterías en el guión cuando te paras a pensarlo.
    Pero cuántos grandes momentos (la escena del hotel con los boxeadores, los gatos, el ataque en el piso), cuánta tensión.

• fish_beauty

★★★½ Watched by fish_beauty 01 Mar, 2015

Argento's first solo directing credit heaps style onto the serial killer suspense. Argento has help, with Vittorio Storaro behind the camera and a score by Ennio Morricone. These movies are fun if you admire the visual style and let the odd winding plot meander as if it's a leaf blown by the wind. The cast has Tony Musante in the lead, Suzy Kendall as his girlfriend, and Eva Renzi as the first victim.

• punkduck

Watched by punkduck 20 Sep, 2012

Anthology Film Archives, New York, New York

• yrsurfinman

★★★½ Watched by yrsurfinman 27 Feb, 2015

The murder plot is just ok (though it pays off spectacularly), but the imagery is great.

Good, stylish fun somewhere between trash and class.

• Dustin Baker

★★★★ Rewatched by Dustin Baker 09 Feb, 2015

At this point, I was too exhausted from being sick to go digging for something to watch so I threw on the first thing I came across. I had only seen it once and didn't remember a lot of specifics from it, other than I remember enjoying it. It was nice surprise to be reminded that Argento had a sense of fun, once. The film is playful while still delivering scenes of violence in exquisite beauty which would come to…

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 12 Feb, 2015 4

Oh man, De Palma's Dressed to Kill owes so much to this movie its not even funny.

I am rather shocked by how coherent the plot of this movie is. I thought I had guessed the killer about an hour in and then Argento threw a curve ball that caught me off guard, not something I was expecting from a 45 year old film.

I read that people generally dont like it compared to Argento's later works, but I personally loved it, despite it's faults.

• deadmanramsey