• fish_beauty

★★★½ Watched by fish_beauty 01 Mar, 2015

Argento's first solo directing credit heaps style onto the serial killer suspense. Argento has help, with Vittorio Storaro behind the camera and a score by Ennio Morricone. These movies are fun if you admire the visual style and let the odd winding plot meander as if it's a leaf blown by the wind. The cast has Tony Musante in the lead, Suzy Kendall as his girlfriend, and Eva Renzi as the first victim.

• punkduck

Watched by punkduck 20 Sep, 2012

Anthology Film Archives, New York, New York

• yrsurfinman

★★★½ Watched by yrsurfinman 27 Feb, 2015

The murder plot is just ok (though it pays off spectacularly), but the imagery is great.

Good, stylish fun somewhere between trash and class.

• Dustin Baker

★★★★ Rewatched by Dustin Baker 09 Feb, 2015

At this point, I was too exhausted from being sick to go digging for something to watch so I threw on the first thing I came across. I had only seen it once and didn't remember a lot of specifics from it, other than I remember enjoying it. It was nice surprise to be reminded that Argento had a sense of fun, once. The film is playful while still delivering scenes of violence in exquisite beauty which would come to…

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Watched by COBRARocky 12 Feb, 2015 4

Oh man, De Palma's Dressed to Kill owes so much to this movie its not even funny.

I am rather shocked by how coherent the plot of this movie is. I thought I had guessed the killer about an hour in and then Argento threw a curve ball that caught me off guard, not something I was expecting from a 45 year old film.

I read that people generally dont like it compared to Argento's later works, but I personally loved it, despite it's faults.

• deadmanramsey

★★★ Added by deadmanramsey

63/100

• Chris Kirby

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Kirby 04 Feb, 2015 3

I had recently read Frederic Brown's The Screaming Mimi, the basis for this film, though loosely adapted. I absolutely loved Brown's prose and the way his plot moved through the seedy nightlife of Chicago as our lead character worked to discover the identity of the mass murderer on the loose. I liked the book a lot more than The Big Sleep. So, I wanted to rewatch Argento's debut film.

The tone and approach to Brown's novel is distinctly different from…

• GenkiB

★★½ Rewatched by GenkiB 05 May, 2014

A friend gave me this a while back and it sat unwatched for a long time coz I knew nothing about it. I knew it was by Dario Argento and I’d seen some his horror films, which were memorable for certain scenes, but I hadn’t really liked (For example: “Suspiria”. Coz of those, I took my time getting to this one. Finally when I had watched it I said to my friend, “Yeah, it was OK. Pretty cool because it’s…

• Tommy

★★★★ Rewatched by Tommy 19 Jan, 2015

Open your eyes. It's all about perception, be it audio or visual. Argento got better at this later, but even at this stage he was operating on an entirely different level than the rest of his ilk.

• Joshsg87

★★★★ Added by Joshsg87

Great early Argento. Good mystery and early in his career and visual style.

• zachfree

★★★½ Watched by zachfree 04 Jan, 2015

More of a thriller than a horror movie, with a big focus on the mystery of the killer and the police investigation. There's a good twist here and a few red herrings, but if you've seen Argento before you can likely guess who the killer is. Still, this is an impressive debut and a good introduction to what's to come later. There's even a little humor thrown in here which seems to have dissipated from Argento's style in later films.

• Eltopo68

★★★½ Rewatched by Eltopo68 16 Dec, 2014

Argento's first in his animals trilogy (along with "Cat 'O Nine Tails and "Four Flies on Grey Velvet"), this lacks the elaborate set-pieces and wild camerawork that would mark his later films. It contains all of the hallmarks of later works like "Deep Red" (black gloves, protagonists that saw something at the seem of the crime that they can't quite recall, bizarre supporting characters), but doled out on a much more subdued scale. Must see for Giallo enthusiasts, but for those wondering what the Argento fuss is all about should seek out "Suspiria" and "Deep Red."