• Andrew Liverød

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew Liverød 21 May, 2015 4

Somehow I've never watched this film. Don't ask why as I have absolutely no idea! This review is for the Arrow Blu-Ray in Italian with English subs.

An American novelist witnesses the attempted murder of a woman by a black-clad assailant and risks his and his girlfriend's lives in trying to track down the killer and break his writer's block.

With the Bird with the Crystal Plumage Argento cemented the giallo framework laid down by Mario Bava in The Girl…

• Peter Grantham

★★★½ Watched by Peter Grantham 11 May, 2015

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage is a very watchable little film.

Usually, a second watch of a thriller will reveal things that went unseen the first time. I suspect though, that after I see this for a second time it STILL won't make any fucking sense.

• Kyle Hermary

★★★½ Watched by Kyle Hermary 07 May, 2015

_________________________________________________________________

Film #7 of the "Scavenger Hunt 2" Challenge!
    Task #21: a giallo film
    ___________________________________________________________________

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is my first giallo film and I've gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed. I heard that this was a very good thriller and all it really did was play on basic fears, mainly the dark. I found many scenes hard to see, but it did make me uneasy and it had some great actors in it. I was fully invested in this film and I do recommend it.

• b rad

★★★½ Watched by b rad 04 May, 2015 4

No idea what the title refers to. Also pretty restrained by Argento's style. Some great touches throughout as well as a couple stunning scenes.

• Hooded Justice

Rewatched by Hooded Justice 04 May, 2015

"We can't rule out the possibility that he's a pervert."

Watching this again after seven years was like receiving a visit from an old friend. From the fetishistic close-ups of the killer's black leather gloves and array of knives, lovingly fondled before each murder, to Argento's expert use of framing to ensnare his victims, to Morricone's jangly, nerve-shattering score, there's nothing about this film that I don't like. Even Werner Peters's walking stereotype -- an über-fey antiques dealer who takes…

• Nick C

★★★★ Watched by Nick C 04 May, 2015

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is a Hitchcockian thriller/horror film and an extremely impressive directorial debut from Dario Argento. Everything from the lighting, camerawork, music, and editing was really excellent. It's very clear that Argento knows how to tell a story and create suspense and mood. Although this wasn't really my type of movie, I am still looking forward to seeing more from this distinguished Italian horror director.

• travis_bickle76

★★½ Watched by travis_bickle76 17 Apr, 2015

Dario Argento's debut directorial effort, which tells the story of a US writer who thinks he witnesses an attempted murder whilst in Italy. You can tell that Argento was keen to explore many different styles in his movies with being the basis for many directors in the following years.

• dogeric25

★★★★ Added by dogeric25

Solid thriller. Unfortunately I watched the dub so I did struggle to stay thoroughly engaged. The twist was also pretty silly and obvious, but that never really detracts from the giallo experience.

• cblaze

★★★½ Watched by cblaze 05 Apr, 2015

I really liked the beginning of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - there was a lot of interesting mystery right up front with our lead character being trapped while witnessing an attempted murder and the police needing his help. It was visually striking and intense - I expected more of the same to follow.

But once our hero resigns himself to help the police, his motivations seem to become lost to me. I think no scene sums it up…

• Jeff Williams

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 18 Mar, 2015 2

Dario Argento's classiest giallo with a sound, thrilling, but surprisingly humorous script containing colorful characters like Mario Adorf's cat-loving, pretentious artist hermit, Gildo Di Marco's sensitive, stuttering pimp, and Werner Peter's fabulously gay art shop dealer. The Ennio Morricone soundtrack is one of his most unsettling and haunting. The film was a massive influence on many subsequent thrillers from around the world.

• Paukzen

★★½ Watched by Paukzen 30 Jan, 2010

DVIX, Casa Pollio

• Jaume Vaquer

★★★★½ Watched by Jaume Vaquer 09 Mar, 2015

Mira que el protagonista es tirando a sosito y que hay bastantes tonterías en el guión cuando te paras a pensarlo.
    Pero cuántos grandes momentos (la escena del hotel con los boxeadores, los gatos, el ataque en el piso), cuánta tensión.