• AlvaroMortem

Watched by AlvaroMortem 22 Apr, 2014

Los primeros pasos de Dario Argento como director lejos de ser intentos y pruebas, nos dan ya un ejercicio clásico de todo lo que podemos esperar del director: giallo, colores saturados, amnesia retrógrada y mujeres fuertes. Aunque le falta el krautrock, el poker de personalidad que esgrime en la película es asombroso; no es una buena primera película, es una excelente película.

Si además le sumamos sus dejes hitchcocknianos, no como guiño sino como búsqueda de su propia personalidad, podremos intuir la grandeza aquí desarrollada: aquella nacida del genio indiscutido.

• Terése Flynn

★★★½ Watched by Terése Flynn 17 Apr, 2014

One of those Argento films I hadn't watched yet, and now I've finally seen it. Far from my favourite from the italian director, and I've also figured out why I had such a problem with Tony Musante in a film i watched resently; Ill Mercenario. I belive it could be his strong resemblence to my dad, concerning his looks. But I won't hold that against him ofcourse.

Concerning the looks of the movie it's pretty much spot-on, just as the…

• Chevalier

★★★ Added by Chevalier

Argento's first giallo is a decent but not memorable entry in the genre. It does feature several unique sequences, one involving a camera being just drop out of a window and right into the ground.

• Fesapo

★★★½ Watched by Fesapo 04 Mar, 2006

70/100

• MasterRick

★★★★½ Watched by MasterRick 21 Oct, 2013

Absolutely loved this. This is the third Argento I’ve seen (after Suspiria and Deep Red), and it’s amazing what an assured work this is, especially considering that it’s his directorial debut. The set pieces are staged beautifully, starting with the glass wall scene, which uses stark white surfaces, cold lighting and muffled sound to amazingly tense effect. The camerawork is gorgeous. It’s not entirely as controlled as the others I’ve seen from him, but there are some striking POV sequences…

• Mark Barrett

★★★½ Watched by Mark Barrett 16 Mar, 2014 2

Another Dario Argento film. This was his first entry in the Giallo genre of movies and centres around an American who witnesses an attempted murder through a window. He feels that he's noticed something important during the murder but can't quite put his finger on what it is. Meanwhile the murders continue and the American and his girlfriend become targets themselves.

A fairly entertaining film with plenty of black gloved action and suspense, with a good score from Ennio Morricone.…

• Andrew Neill

★★★½ Watched by Andrew Neill 23 Mar, 2014

An interesting film mostly because it is Dario Argento's directorial debut and you can see some of his traits already coming through with flash backs and a cheeky little twist that does not make great sense when you think about it but it is a fun way to end the film.

Well worth a watch to see where Dario Argento cut his teeth, not teh greatest story in the world and a bit more editing would have made it make a bit more sense in some bits but worth seeing.

• Boost

★★½ Added by Boost

Landmark giallo that hasn't aged well. Nice story and innovative directing though.

• Craig Dawson

★★★★ Rewatched by Craig Dawson 11 Mar, 2014

A writer is stalked by a serial killer after witnessing a murder attempt on one woman's life.

Thankfully I was able to get hold of the fairly recent VCI region free release of the Argento debut with the Blue Underground version going for stupid money and the UK Arrow version having the aspect ratio and colour scheme by all accounts butchered.

I always have such a good time with this film, yes it's ridiculous and you can pick holes quite…

• Lee Russell

★★★½ Added by Lee Russell

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★ Watched by Corey Hiscocks 02 Feb, 2014

Don't have the time to really bring all these thoughts together, so here's the rundown:

-Spectacularly entertaining thriller with some really chilling moments. Beats the mess out of Suspiria, if you ask me. An amalgamation that retains its sense of self: you've got some Rosemary's Baby in the theme, some Psycho in the thematic obsession with perversion, etc. but there's also a very distinct visual style all its own.

-In a way, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is something…

• Alexander V

★★★★ Watched by Alexander V 27 Jan, 2014 1

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage was Dario Argento's first film and it made him a hot property. Having had very little experience with actual film making, he showed incredible potential with his debut and he took full advantage of it in years to come. Here he explored a lot of the scenarios that would later characterize his films.

A writer with a black-out is stuck in Italy and suddenly becomes a witness of a murder. Trying to help he…