• QueenOfCats

★★★½ Watched by QueenOfCats 02 Feb, 2016

Very enjoyable suspense thriller, slightly underrated because it may not have that visual impact or cult status like Suspiria or Inferno.

• Brennan Klein

★★★ Watched by Brennan Klein 26 Oct, 2013

A cerebral and well crafted slasher thriller, but pales in comparison to Argento's later masterworks.

• torsten luth

★★★★ Rewatched by torsten luth 18 Jan, 2016

Everything that could be said about this one has been said. Many a times.
    It defined the rules for standard 70's Giallo.. the amateur detective.. the " i cant really remember what i saw but something was not right" plots.., the staircases..the sex maniac... multiple killers... it has it all.
    The cat eating grosses me out every time I see it.. Argento definitely has weird humor... Great movie..

• Mark Boszko

★★★ Watched by Mark Boszko 08 Jan, 2016

“Bring in the perverts!”

It certainly kept me guessing.

• Simon9688

★★★½ Added by Simon9688

Dario Argento's films from the 1970's are certainly unique & have a very distinctive aesthetic style & The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is no exception.

• Ryan Kirby

★★★½ Added by Ryan Kirby

Argento flies very close to greatness in almost every movie I've seen by him. He has a way with violence that makes it art. Disturbing, intense, yet beautiful violence. He also has a way of making this all surrounded by inane dialogue, terrible acting, and preposterous plot mechanisms, and yet, everything he does is fascinating and I have no desire to stop exploring his filmography.

His mastery of cinematography, set design, and color is inspiring to say the least. There…

• Derenzo

★★★★ Added by Derenzo

My favorite of Dario's Animal Trilogy.

• Brian Stack

★★ Watched by Brian Stack 04 Nov, 2015

The plot could easily inspire an episode of Law & Order. A few detours make it worth watching, including the slightly bizarre scene with an enigmatic artist. The end is a let down and the mental illness explanation seems trite. Worth watching because you can see its influence all over modern horror films, but it doesn't hold up well.

• Jeff Williams

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jeff Williams 11 Nov, 2015

Argento's most efficient, even-handed giallo that's devoid of any dull periods or self indulgent moments. The Morricone score is one of his most unsettling, the photography is beautiful and the supporting characters are effective and surprisingly humorous. The only misstep was changing the lead character from a reporter to a non-fiction writer. As a reporter he would be much more motivated to find the killer for professional reasons. Still, a superb film and my personal favorite.

• Joseph Blackwell

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Blackwell 10 Nov, 2015

Argento's first film establishes many of his directorial trademarks, and many of the archetypal characters of the Giallo genre.
    The sleazy, early 70s Roman setting is excellently accompanied by Ennio Morricone's score, which is one of his loosest, jazziest efforts which stands in bold contrast to his more sweeping, romantic works he is also known for.
    Dark, shadowy cinematography combines greatly with the vibrant red blood that is being spilled, and the mystery that it is supporting is great as well. Overall a really entertaining Giallo from the maestro!

• Ben Riley

★★★★ Watched by Ben Riley 03 Nov, 2015

"How many times do I have to tell you, he belongs with the transvestites, not the perverts!"

A tantalizingly unvarnished work of voyeurism, a pure immersion in perverse curiosity and violent fantasy fulfillment. Hannibal Lector taught us that lust begins in the eyes; Argento brings us into the perspective of the killer through the camera he uses to document his prospective victims to capturing each lurid detail of the killings. Then, to compound this vision of dark inquisition, we're given…

• Pieter Hansderson

★★★★½ Watched by Pieter Hansderson 26 Oct, 2015

The finest of the "animal" trilogy, Argento's debut is strong, stylish and confident with an equally excellent soundtrack by Ennio Morricone.

#26: Hooptober 2.0