• TJ Duane

★★★½ Watched by TJ Duane 05 Oct, 2015

Dario Argento's film debut isn't quite at the level of his eventual horror cornerstone, Suspiria. Here, he is in Hitchcock mode as he follows a writer who witnesses an attempted murder in an art gallery.

This feels like Italian De Palma, in its references Hitchcock in many of the same ways.

• skrot

★★★ Watched by skrot 03 Oct, 2015

J: We thought this was a horror movie because of Dario Argento, but it's a Thriller/Crime/Mystery kind of movie. Felt weirdly out of pace in places. Still, I thought it was a fun watch.

F: Thought it was a pretty good movie. The translated subtitles were really funny at times. And the actual plot mystery was mysterious and wasn't too predictable, but this could be because of language differences.

• Ian Campbell

★★★½ Watched by Ian Campbell 03 Oct, 2015

From the few films of his I've seen, Dario Argento is amazing at displaying an idea or a mood, visually. He's great with the big stuff. He's kind of crappy with the connective tissue of a film. Transitions. Motivations. A cohesive visual style. This is his first film, and I suspect it had a very small budget, so maybe I can chalk some of it up to that.

He has one great idea: a serial killer who is always wearing…

• Alex Gidley

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Gidley 02 Oct, 2015

Hooptober film 2 of 31

People have drawn comparisons between Italian director Dario Argento's directional debut The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, or TBWTCP as it will hence be called, and Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, with one of the covers you can choose for the Arrow Video release saying some scenes bear striking resemblances to Hitchcock's horror classic. However, I think TBWTCP shares much more in common with John Carpenter Halloween, which is odd seen as it was released 8 years…

• Danny Webster

★★★½ Watched by Danny Webster 30 Sep, 2015

Film #10 of Hoop-tober 2

Scariness level: Evil Laugh/10

A good debut thriller from Argento. It's easy of me to say this, but it lays down the foundations for better films later on in his career - later sounds like it's long down the road but really they're just around the corner. Either way, he does it all here, with panache and a style and with confidence and its result is surprisingly sparse of violence, but nonetheless a suspenseful hound…

• Boggy Creek

★★★★ Watched by Boggy Creek 26 Sep, 2015

#6 Hallowed Be Thy Name: Hooptober 2015

Giallo runs like a river through Dario Argento's mind. His directorial debut The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is his first stab at the genre, and while not being his most finest, its effectiveness is still chilling and honorable to this day. After all, it was the movie that enticed moviegoers to label him the Italian Hitchcock, and while it is a fair statement, there really are no comparisons; he's his own fantastical being.

• morayshir

★★★★ Watched by morayshir 26 Sep, 2015

Argento comenzó su carrera como director y abrió la década de los 70 con este giallo. Sin duda alguna, contiene muchos de los elementos que luego depuraría durante el resto de la década, pero vaya opera prima que se cascó el tío!

• russman

★★★½ Watched by russman 22 Sep, 2015 2

Is that a Hand Turkey in the poster?

• soirore

Watched by soirore 20 Sep, 2015

Another delightful giallo. Looks beautiful; the shots, the cast, the locations. And the plot is tense if not suspenseful; pretty sure we all worked out who the murderer was, yeah?

The silliness (as regards plot/ motivation etc.) doesn't distract from this at all though. The beauty of the film is such that you care and want to watch more even when it doesn't make total sense. That's a strong selling point for me as I'm easily frustrated by such things.

• Andrew Tilley

★★★★½ Watched by Andrew Tilley 08 Sep, 2015

Yet another time where I lament my prolonged neglect of a great film, in this case the film that instantly became my favorite Giallo (to date). Sure, the premise isn't exactly rock solid, but those kinds of things were never a hang up for me. Fundamentally, this is just an incredibly strong Giallo, that maintains a tense pacing throughout. In my opinion, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is Argento's strongest Giallo, and absolutely a must see.

• Frenchie's Reviews

★★★★ Added by Frenchie's Reviews

Argento's debut film as a director and it is superb. Many of his classic stylistic trademarks were right there from the very start. In fact the first thing you see is a pair of black gloved hands wielding a knife. As well as the cryptic and slightly abstract and dreamlike tone of the film. Plus the main character solves a murder mystery by trying hard to recall clues from memory. All of these traits are in Argento's best films. One…

• Lee

★★★★ Watched by Lee 31 Aug, 2015

Watching one of Dario Argento’s films after you’ve already seen another is somewhat of a losing battle, not because they’re not any good, but rather because the majority of Giallo’s are near enough undistinguishable from the next. If anything, that’s my thinking going into The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, the famed director’s debut, but I couldn’t have been more surprised to see that this early Argento is actually one of the more absorbing works of the sub-genre and stands…