• Pedro Cinemaxunga

★★★★ Watched by Pedro Cinemaxunga 15 Nov, 2014

Amazingly crafted.

• Tom Morton

★★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 10 Nov, 2014

The plot is shaky, the central mystery fails to build up much momentum and the ending drags on for far too long. HOWEVER I think this might be the best collection of oddball supporting characters I've ever seen in a film. Every new face brings new delights, strange personality quirks rendered even funnier by the textbook sloppy dubbing. Combine the brilliant gallery of weirdos with some stylish Argento set-pieces and you have Giallo gold - great fun.

• Shawn

★★★½ Watched by Shawn 14 Oct, 2014

This is the Argento I know... the man who can make a simple premise, extremely complicated, and full of great giallo tropes. Suspiria, and Deep Red are his only movies that could be argued are better then this, and it could be said this might be his best.

Entered Flickchart at 230

• JaumeMuntane

★★★★ Rewatched by JaumeMuntane 01 Nov, 2014

Opera prima de Dario Argento i film de gran impacte en el món del giallo i del thriller. Beu del cine criminal i de Hitchock i ofereix la posada en escena tan característica d'Argento.

Opera prima of Dario Argento and a film of great impact into the world of giallo and thriller. Based on criminal films and Hitchock movies, provides a stylized mise en scene (one of the main characteristics of Argento films).

• Felix Brühl

★★★ Watched by Felix Brühl 08 Sep, 2014

Der ganze Text: felham.me/2014/10/31/the-bird-with-the-crystal-plumage/

Nachdem Suspiria einer meiner Favoriten des letztjährigen Horrorctober war, hatte ich vielleicht etwas zu viele Erwartungen an meinen zweiten Argento.
    Aber zum Film: Die erzählte Geschichte ist dabei weniger spannend, eher sind es die Bilder und die schrulligen Typen, die den Film interessant machen. Den Soundtrack von Suspiria habe ich nach einem Jahr noch im Ohr, bei The Bird with the Crystal Plumage ging er mir sehr viel schneller verloren.

(Da ich befürchtete, im Oktober keine dreizehn Film für den Horrorctober zu schaffen, habe ich im September bereits einen kleinen Horrorctober praecox eingelegt. Dieser war der erste von fünf Horrorctober praecox-Filmen.)

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Watched by ScreeningNotes 28 Oct, 2014 4

Not Quite Hoop-Tober: Day 28

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is another giallo from director Dario Argento, and by "another" I mean it was the first feature film he directed and the sixth feature film I've seen directed by him. For anyone unfamiliar with the genre, giallos are generally horror-inflected murder mysteries where an outsider (not a detective or police officer) investigates murders committed by a villain who dresses like he really wants to be the villain in a…

• hydra815

★★★★ Added by hydra815

I haven't seen too many Giallo films but I very much enjoyed this stylish Italian horror crafted by "the Italian Hitchcock" as Argento marketed himself. I can't really argue with that because in my eyes, he made an excellent film here that had me invested in the very direct, fast-paced plot whilst continually surprising me with it's inventive choice of shots and wonderful use of light and colour. It won't be to everybody's taste, I believe, as the imagery is…

• Ingmar

★★★ Watched by Ingmar 22 Oct, 2014

Is Argento one of the most morbid and sadistic filmmakers out there? Not that his films are the most gruesome in any regard, but you can almost hear him beating his meat to the murder scenes.

Pretty good movie, a bit cheesy but has some very suspenseful scenes.

• Carson Joiner

★★★★ Watched by Carson Joiner 19 Oct, 2014 1

Hoop-Tober 31 Days of Halloween (Film #35)

"The man's crazy. You never know what will happen next."

Over the last month I've become a huge fan of Dario Argento and Italian horror films from the 70's and 80's known as giallo. So what makes a good giallo film? Well, you always need a psycho-killer who wears black gloves and a trench coat. But for me, the most important aspect is the mystery. Who is the killer? After a good mysterious…

• johnch

★★★½ Watched by johnch 17 Oct, 2014

its story has been done before and since and it is simpler both visually and thematically compared to something like Deep Red. but with its tightly constructed approach lies a certain charm and it also has Vittorio Storaro cinematography and Ennio Morricone's music going for it.

• Auteur

★★★½ Rewatched by Auteur 13 Oct, 2014

Film #1 of ARGENTOBERFEST

Part mystery, part horror, Dario Argento's debut is a notable entry in the giallo genre, and represents the emergence of a major new visual talent that would heavily influence cinema to come. It's safe to say with The Bird With The Crystal Plumage the director was still getting his feet wet, as the film is a bit hokey in the story department, featuring rough transitions between the two genres, constant dead ends, and ridiculously out-of-place dialogue…

• Mike

★★★ Watched by Mike 05 Oct, 2014

As is the case with a lot of the giallo I've seen my biggest beef with this has to do with the protagonist putting themselves into ridiculous amounts of peril attempting to solve a mystery with which he has no business being involved. He does at first, having his passport taken away (he's American) after having witnessed an attempted murder, but once he's absolved he just can't seem to keep himself away from investigating, despite the murderer's multiple attempts, one…