• matt lynch

★★★★ Rewatched by matt lynch 24 Jun, 2015

"Bring out the perverts!"

We watch him watch her. Pure voyeurism.

• 2cokes1popcorn
  • Ben Zuk

★★★★ Watched by Ben Zuk 12 Jun, 2015

This is only the second Argento film I've seen and I'm really glad that it's sparked my interest in seeing more of his work.

Without delving into spoiler territory- the film deals primarily with memory and the role memory/perspective play in our lives. It's all done with spectacular style, innovation, and frankly a lot more thought than I expected for a film in this genre.

• Kevin Olson

★★★½ Rewatched by Kevin Olson 09 Aug, 2009

Vittorio Sotaro's cinematography is the highlight of Dario Argento's first film. You can see the Italian horror maestro working out the narrative kinks and fine-tuning his process, which would pay off five years later with what is arguably his tightest piece of storytelling and greatest aesthetic achievement (although I give the edge to Suspiria), Deep Red. Mandatory viewing for anyone interested in delving into Argento's oeuvre or Italian horror in general.

• Alan

★★★ Watched by Alan 01 Jun, 2015

This one time in my early twenties I bought a bottle of J&B whiskey because they drink it in all the old Italian flicks. It was absolutely disgusting but I drank it anyway and puked my ass off.

Anyway, like almost all Argento this looks great and has some amazing set-pieces but also features a bunch of dumb plot turns and boring detective-work nonsense. Argento fans always bang on about how this stuff is "part of it" but meh, whatever.…

• Doug Dibbern

★★★★ Rewatched by Doug Dibbern 29 May, 2015 2

The murder scenes at the beginning and ending are tours de force vis a vis the mise en scene.

• A.N. Lee

★½ Watched by A.N. Lee 28 May, 2015

______________________________________________________________________

Film #28 of the Scavenger Hunt #2 challenge
    Task #21: A giallo film.
    ______________________________________________________________________

My first giallo film. I thought I'd never watch one of these, and that's mainly because I thought all them were second-rate horror thrillers. I'll admit I was wrong about them, but seeing as how The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is hailed as one of the best giallo films, they aren't anything great either.

This film is an engaging one, but it's at times…

• Andrew Liverød

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew Liverød 21 May, 2015 4

Somehow I've never watched this film. Don't ask why as I have absolutely no idea! This review is for the Arrow Blu-Ray in Italian with English subs.

An American novelist witnesses the attempted murder of a woman by a black-clad assailant and risks his and his girlfriend's lives in trying to track down the killer and break his writer's block.

With the Bird with the Crystal Plumage Argento cemented the giallo framework laid down by Mario Bava in The Girl…

• Peter Grantham

★★★½ Watched by Peter Grantham 11 May, 2015

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage is a very watchable little film.

Usually, a second watch of a thriller will reveal things that went unseen the first time. I suspect though, that after I see this for a second time it STILL won't make any fucking sense.

• Kyle Hermary

★★★½ Watched by Kyle Hermary 07 May, 2015

_________________________________________________________________

Film #7 of the "Scavenger Hunt 2" Challenge!
    Task #21: a giallo film
    ___________________________________________________________________

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage is my first giallo film and I've gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed. I heard that this was a very good thriller and all it really did was play on basic fears, mainly the dark. I found many scenes hard to see, but it did make me uneasy and it had some great actors in it. I was fully invested in this film and I do recommend it.

• b rad

★★★½ Watched by b rad 04 May, 2015 4

No idea what the title refers to. Also pretty restrained by Argento's style. Some great touches throughout as well as a couple stunning scenes.

• Hooded Justice

Rewatched by Hooded Justice 04 May, 2015

"We can't rule out the possibility that he's a pervert."

Watching this again after seven years was like receiving a visit from an old friend. From the fetishistic close-ups of the killer's black leather gloves and array of knives, lovingly fondled before each murder, to Argento's expert use of framing to ensnare his victims, to Morricone's jangly, nerve-shattering score, there's nothing about this film that I don't like. Even Werner Peters's walking stereotype -- an über-fey antiques dealer who takes…