• Iain Dickie

★★★½ Watched by Iain Dickie 30 Sep, 2014

IFF 2 Film 7

The Birds starts off like a good romantic comedy and turns into a horror, it takes a while to get into the horror and for me went on a bit long, lesser Hitchcock for me, but still a vergood film.

• JaySalahi

★★★ Watched by JaySalahi 28 Sep, 2014

B- (81)

• Colin the dude

★★★★½ Rewatched by Colin the dude 27 Sep, 2014

"They said when you got here the whole thing started. Who are you? What are you? Where did you come from? I think you're the cause of all of this. I think you're evil. EVIL!"

• Kenneth

★★½ Watched by Kenneth 26 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• sharpsticks

★★★★★ Rewatched by sharpsticks 27 Sep, 2014

sound design

• Thomas Christie

★★★★ Added by Thomas Christie

DISCLAIMER: This review contains vague spoilers.

Considered by some to be Hitchcock's last masterpiece, 'The Birds' (1963), on a superficial level, seems too absurd in concept to be genuinely suspenseful or frightening. This proves not to be the case at all - while it doesn't share 'Psycho's level of mystery or psychological horror, 'The Birds' manages to be a serious and intense film, with the avian antagonists serving as a real ominous presence. This is perhaps best exemplified in the…

• Robert Armitage

★★★½ Rewatched by Robert Armitage 24 Sep, 2014

I have very fond memories of this movie from my childhood, but it's been many, many years since I've seen it. While, Mr. Hitchcock is, undoubtedly, the master of suspense, many of the special effects do not hold up and I found myself chuckling inappropriately- especially during the children's parade. Still, the masses of birds are effective and chilling- the iconic schoolyard scene being one example.
    Speaking of iconic scenes, the gas station fire and the quick intercut between the spreading flame and Tippi's reaction shots I found weird and startling.
    And this movie just ends. Just... ends.

• massy

★★★★ Added by Leandro Fernandes

Aged, but still tense.

• Ian W. Hill

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian W. Hill 14 Sep, 2014

At least the third time I've watched it this year. Not going to go back and look to check exact number.

The people and world of this movie get more real to me each time, and their trials, as a result, more painful and sad. The Brenners and Melanie Daniels (and Annie, and all the people of Bodega Bay) now live for real in me, and it's harder to watch them suffer.

But I go back, because it's such a…