• Matt Ellis

★★★ Rewatched by Matt Ellis 26 Feb, 2015

THE BIRDS is a dumb movie that is doing a lot of interesting things, but is ultimately dumb.

Watched for Rick Rambuss' Hitchcock, Kubrick, Lynch seminar at Brown University.

• Tales Carvalho

★★★★ Watched by Tales Carvalho 25 Feb, 2015

Hahahahah e cara chando que filme do Tarantino tem sangue.

• Dave

★★★★ Watched by Dave 14 Feb, 2015

A wealthy San Francisco socialite pursues a potential boyfriend to a small Northern California town that slowly takes a turn for the bizarre when birds of all kinds suddenly begin to attack people there in increasing numbers and with increasing viciousness. - IMDB

It's to a point where after every Alfred Hitchcock film that I watch for the first time, I can't help but look forward to watching the next one. It's been a while since the last one and…

• Alex Tărău

★★★ Watched by Alex Tărău 21 Feb, 2015 2

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A brilliant and tense film that gives you everything but then takes it all away with the ending. I detest the unresolved and cliffhanger ending which isn't really an ending at all.
    What happened to the characters? What happened to the town? Did the birds ever attack again?
    So many questions but no answers. This really lets the whole fantastic film down.

• Alex A

★★★ Watched by Alex A 17 Feb, 2015

I found The Birds to be a mixed bag, and remarkably dated even for it's age. The performances are solid like most Hitchcock films, the concept is unique and the final act carried hair-trigger intensity. Unfortunately, the first act and it's build-up was not only slow, but also unfocused plot-wise, the developing love story blooming off screen was underwhelming, and the abrupt ending which left the reason behind the bird attack unanswered was disappointing. Overall The Birds was a decent affair but I'm in no urge to revisit it.

• Bizon

★★★★½ Rewatched by Bizon 14 Feb, 2015

Holy Subtext! This is far better than I remembered from one viewing as a kid, mostly because there's so much more going on here than I recognized. I thought it was just a scary animal movie, but it's really a metaphor for the chaos caused by attraction and desire, and maybe the forced assimilation of a free spirit into the confines of a family. When we were done, my daughter said "Hitchcock had a real problem with his mother, huh?"…

• Carla Salcedo Zea

★★★ Added by Carla Salcedo Zea

Me gustan mucho este tipo de películas viejas, ya había visto Psycho aunque en esa oportunidad no la terminé de ver... Pero me llamó la atención que en ambas películas hay una madre controladora y un hijo sumiso, que estando bastantes avanzados de edad seguían solteros y viviendo con la madre. Me gustaría conocer otras obras de este director para indagar más en ese asunto.

• Jasu_M

★★★ Watched by Jasu_M 14 Feb, 2015

Makes me wonder how they filmed it - many beautiful shots of huge flocks of birds.

• ktepi

★★★★ Added by ktepi

There is so much to be frustrated about with Hitchcock, but you can't deny how good he was. There's no WAY this movie should be so good, but it is just shot and composed so brilliantly, with all the little touches nobody else bothers including in "various creatures inexplicably on the rampage" movies.

• BilltheThrill

★★★½ Rewatched by BilltheThrill 06 Feb, 2015

My first real viewing of it because watching it in high school was clearly just for shits n' giggles. Tippi Hedren wasn't unbearable here like she was in Marnie, and Rod Taylor is pretty cool. It's not easy to take the plot seriously, and the ending kind of underwhelmed me, but The Birds remains an entertaining and hugely influential horror/thriller.

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel PG Simpson 05 Feb, 2015

I liked the birds a lot on my first viewing, and this rewatch for a film class has only furthered my appreciation. The story is simple, but I really dig Hitchcock's slow-build. We spend a lot of time with Melanie Daniels and seeing the various relationship dramas play out before the bird attacks really begin. Many argue this was done to develop the characters, and while that is true, I think it actually serves another purpose. By setting up all…

• feedingbrett

★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 07 Feb, 2015 4

Review In A Nutshell:

Hitchcock has been on a roll; starting from The Trouble with Harry, there has not been a film from his catalogue that I didn't think highly of, until I stumbled upon The Birds. After revisiting North By Northwest, Psycho and Vertigo; I have arrived on another of Hitchcock's most well-known films, the monster film that shaped many films that succeeded it; notably Steven Spielberg's Jaws and Close Encounter of the Third Kind. My expectations were certainly…