• MovieMan23

★★★★ Added by MovieMan23

Great Hitchcock movie to watch in your spare time.

• David

★★ Added by David

Really wasn't into The Birds at all. There's no tension to be found and there's no fun to be had either. It's really boring. It hasn't aged terribly well, but that's not necessarily the problem. The character drama is badly written, with the female characters being especially bad. I truly don't entirely get the love for this. It's just not a very good movie. Plus superimposed/animatronic birds attacking people isn't terribly compelling. I almost wanted all of the human characters…

• Chris Martin

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Martin 20 Nov, 2014

Absolutely terrifying.

• Joel Edwards

★★★★ Watched by Joel Edwards 17 Nov, 2014

Don't go stalking guys you just met or else you risk an avian plague upon his hometown!

• James Healey

★★★½ Watched by James Healey 03 Mar, 2014

Well made, but... was that it?

• fox

★★★½ Watched by fox 23 Jan, 2014

first film of intro to film studies spring 2k14 and my first hitchcock film!! i liked it a lot. tippi hedren was rly cute in this even tho hitchcock was problematic as hell. weirdly comforting feel to this movie tbh

• Andrew Ford

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Ford 11 Nov, 2014

In my mind, for some reason, I'd chalked this one up to being "lesser" Hitchcock. It's not. And, frankly, I'm not sure there even is such a thing.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 04 Nov, 2012

Birds turn murderous in small coastal community, and for this premise Hitchcock produces some effective suspense setpieces, amid some less interesting romantic drama. An early example of horror thriller that does not bother to explain the whys and hows of the situation, viewers should draw their own conclusions. I personally go for some sort of neurotoxin. Impressive cinematography and special effects that couldn't have been easy to achieve in 1963. No score is an audacious move, but the electronic bird sounds we get in their place can be distracting.

• Movieman97

★★★★ Watched by Movieman97 09 Nov, 2014

Although most of the bird effects seem a bit dated by today's standards, and the script feels a little goofy at times, "The Birds" is a tight and sometimes frightening thriller, with some terrific use of suspense and terror.

• Chevalier

★★★ Watched by Chevalier 09 Nov, 2014

The Birds is a display of both Hitchcocks ups and downs as a director. On one hand there are some fantastic scenes of gripping tension, with the feathered antagonists attacking the characters. On the other hand, a slugish first half trying to establish characters in a rather clumsy way. It becomes obvious once more that Hitch was never good directing actors, doing a poor job getting good performances from them. Our two lead actors are not bad performers, but they…

• directorscut

★★★★★ Rewatched by directorscut 14 Oct, 2014

Without The Birds there probably wouldn't be the zombie genre as we know it today. Romero greatly appropriated the final half of this film for Night of the Living Dead as a small group fight their own differences and overwhelming outer force leading to a bleak ending. The siege aspect, fortifying the house, trying to get whatever news they can from the radio/TV, the quick shocking gore. Just replace birds with zombies.

• Stella