• Eric Barroso

★★★★ Watched by Eric Barroso 30 Jan, 2015

Hitchcock's experimental film.

• Jabba Hutt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jabba Hutt 29 Jan, 2015

One of my all-time favourites.

This is a true popcorn movie and one that is both bizarre and technically challenging, even by today's standards.

I love the combination of tracking shots Hitchcock does all through this - Tippi Hedren is shown quickly pacing away from the camera, which is following her along as she goes and we get cut-away shots of what she's looking at while walking, and the smooth movement of the camera in these shots creates a sense…

• Devin Sheridan

★★★½ Watched by Devin Sheridan 27 Jan, 2015

Was originally called "Stubborn, clueless woman begrudgingly goes out of her way to play a prank" but the studio thought that was too long.

Pretty impressive how eerie the tone of this gets especially without a soundtrack to help accompany it. Also pretty great visuals considering what they were doing to accomplish the effects.

• de_rupam

★★★½ Watched by de_rupam 26 Jan, 2015

the story has no ending
    quarterly satisfied
    directing,and other technical cinematic divisions are likable
    but won't re-watch it

• shakthi

★★★★ Watched by shakthi 17 Jan, 2015

Worth a watch.. An as usual Hitchcock movie which was interesting and thrilling.Dialogues and screenplay was perfect.
    Especially last 45 minutes was more thrilling and it made think i was actually in that situation.

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

More layered and engaging than I thought it would be. The whole setup with the characters in the first half of the film makes their interactions so much more interesting later on. The Birds really stands out from typical horror in this fashion. It's almost like he was making some kind of Cary Grant witty romance film and then threw a bunch of birds at the audience as a F--- you. I haven't seen a lot of Hitch, but I wouldn't put something like that past him.

• Scott Fairgrieve

★★★★½ Rewatched by Scott Fairgrieve 18 Jan, 2015

Probably the first "horror" movie I watched on TV as a kid. Some iconic scary moments that have stayed with me for 40 years. First half is low, but the great scenery makes up for it. The image with the farmer with his eyes pecked out was very shocking at the time. The scene in the diner was classic. "The Mist" (another favorite) definitely borrows from that.

• Jack

★★★½ Watched by Jack 17 Jan, 2015

Impressive for the time, but now a horror film with a rather shallowly written story ("OH NO! BIRDS ARE ATTACKING! NO IDEA WHY! RUN AWAY!!!1") and an extremely slow first half.

• Elizabeth Lerner

★★★★½ Rewatched by Elizabeth Lerner 16 Jan, 2015

What can I add to the commentary on The Birds? I'm not going to try. Not my favorite Hitchcock, but stunning. I do still want to add to the analysis of Hitchcock's big "switch" films, mainly this and Psycho, but I haven't done enough research to start yet.

The one thing that stuck in my brain this time: the amazing slow Dutch angle as her head is being treated, about fifty minutes in. One of the few times Dutch angles were used not to represent a state of excitement.

• Steve

★★★½ Rewatched by Steve 15 Jan, 2015

I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, but there was nothing that would let me forget this.

It's a shame it hasn't aged well even in the 10 or so years since I had seen it nevermind since its release. Of Hitchcock's most iconic films (Which I would say are Rear Window, The Birds and Psycho with an honourable mention to Vertigo) I feel like this one comes up a little short. Maybe I missed out on the full atmospheric effect by watching this in a well-lit living room in the middle in the middle of the day though.

• Emma Lane

★★★★★ Rewatched by Emma Lane 27 Mar, 2013

NL & TL

• Mauricio Xavier

★★★★½ Watched by Mauricio Xavier 10 Jan, 2015

Bodega Bay feels like a Twin Peaks prototype stuck in the middle of the California coastline, both of them small towns with a weird undercurrent (particularly in the first act) desperately trying to make sense of the tragedy that befalls it. As dated as the bird visuals are, Hitchcock does some phenomenal work around them: the shots of Tippi Hedren trying to relax by smoking a cigarette, unaware that the birds are gathering in the playground right behind her, are…