• Simon9688

★★★½ Added by Simon9688

While an influential film & a precursor to many films, I don't find it a particularly enthralling film.

• slyman

★★★½ Watched by slyman 24 May, 2015

"It's the end of the world!"

Film 23/30 (15. A film featuring a place/landmark you want to visit!) of my Scavenger Hunt #2 Challenge

I Pledge To Watch These Damn Movies THIS Damn Year. How about you? #26 of 100

Meandered for too long with too few scares before anything too thrilling happens. Expected more from Hitch!

Two word review: Flying frights

• Dion Wyn

★★★½ Rewatched by Dion Wyn 24 May, 2015 1

One of the chief strong points of The Birds is its sense of mystery. Hitchcock cleverly realized that what makes the film scary is the unknowable motivation of the title creatures. He plays upon the slight strangeness of birds, the way that we can never fully relate to them in the first place. Their subsequent assault is therefore made all the more frightening, as well as seeming plausible. Added to this is the idea that Tippi Hedren's character is somehow…

• Ben Casey

★★★½ Watched by Ben Casey 22 May, 2015

So, so torn between 3.5 and 4 stars. The build up through the narrative led to a certain expectation at the end for a closing scene, or at least a proper drive away into the sunset. It was ambiguous but also a little empty I felt, very odd.

Stand out bits:

- Dude with no eyes, intensity baseline set and everything that follows you make up in your head. Tasty.
    - The crows forming their murder outside of the school.…

• Noruberuto

★★★★★ Rewatched by Noruberuto 22 May, 2015

So many cages on different levels. Incredible presentation of space. A true bird's eye view on things. No rhyme, no reason. The absence of music developed to maximum effect.

• karl67

★★★★ Rewatched by karl67 21 May, 2015

Another Hitchcock classic starring Rod Taylor and Tippi Hedrin, great film pity Tippi facial expressions never change .i wonder if she had Botox in those days..

• Joe Dreshar

★★★ Watched by Joe Dreshar 17 May, 2015

What a bizarre movie. I can't say i understand it right now. Maybe after I read Hitchcock/Truffaut and watch it a few more times, I'll understand it.

Tippi Hedron is good. The effects don't hold up, but that's not a great fault to lay against a movie like this from 1963.

• Treefingrs

★★★ Added by Treefingrs

Well worth watching because it's Hitchcock and all and it has a reputation, but if I'm honest this is a film that hasn't aged particularly well. What was horror then is laughable now.

• ortolanph

★★★★★ Watched by ortolanph 15 May, 2015

Before Stan Lee, there was Alfred Hitchcock as the master of cameos. In this movie you can see him going out of a bird shop with his two dogs in San Francisco.

In this movie there's something strange with the birds behaviour. They seem to be aggressive attacking human with no reason. They first attack Melanie, a woman that works with many things, including as a bird seller in a bird shop in San Francisco. She knows a man that…

• DirkH

★★★★½ Rewatched by DirkH 14 May, 2015

Rated R for Tits.

• Reesiepie

★★★★ Rewatched by Reesiepie 12 May, 2015

Film #22 of the Scavenger Hunt Challenge!
    Task #27 A film about animals/wildlife attacking!

Start out with a pair of cutesy love birds, and end up with a flock of evil gulls. Evil, evil gulls.

The birds are horrific when they are noisy, matching the children's screams with their own shrieks, but they are even more terrifying as they gather silently behind Tippi Hedren as she casually smokes a cigarette.

Yes the effects look a bit hokey nowadays, but the tension is maintained and it is really unsettling!

• Xplodera

★★★½ Watched by Xplodera 08 May, 2015

“ Can I bring the lovebirds, Mitch? they haven't harmed anyone”

If there ever was a link between the master of suspense – Alfred Hitchcock – and the master of crappy monster movies – Roger Corman – it is this movie. One of my biggest problems with Corman’s cult classic Attack of the Crab Monsters is that everything is revealed in the title and that all suspense therefore crumbles. Similarly, Alfred Hitchcock, who so masterfully built in twists in Psycho