• Mike Hricik

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Hricik 25 Oct, 2014 3

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Zach Betonte

★★½ Rewatched by Zach Betonte 29 Oct, 2014

I adore the ambiguity of the disaster sequences, but Hitchcock's direction doesn't rise to the ambitious occasion. He unfairly depends on Hedren to serve as the audience conduit when she's given a character that is absent any concrete motivations. The spasmodic pandemonium is without question the most consequential imagery in the film, despite Hitchcock perching on each frame for far too long. Eventually every attack loses it's anxiety because their editorial structure becomes so predictable and languorous. Ultimately, it's a narrative waste machine that spends too much time with characters due to three act obligations rather than sincerity.

• maps9

★★★★½ Added by maps9

The Birds may be the final masterpiece of the great director's career. Starring Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor, it came three years after his great trio of Vertigo (1958), North by Northwest (1959), and Psycho (1960). In many ways it took all the themes he had worked into his filmography over the years and unleashed all them into one movie, much like the birds he unleashes onto the small town of Bodega Bay. The themes he addressed again and again:…

• Marv

★★★★★ Rewatched by Marv 25 Oct, 2014

An examination of fear. I saw this film last year at the horror film fest, with a q&a featuring Tippi Hedren. It's a great film to see in a movie theater. Tonight I saw it on TV and it's still the same great film, but I will cherish the experience of having first seen it on the big screen.

• tyosterman

★★★ Watched by tyosterman 25 Oct, 2014

No mystery that birds are dicks. Effects aside, looks lovely. Tandy/Pleshette are a treat. Bit of a bore, sadly.

• Maria Paula Hostin

★★★★ Watched by Maria Paula Hostin 23 Oct, 2014

muito top

• YI JIAN

Watched by YI JIAN 23 Oct, 2014 39

Hoop-Tober Challenge (For Beginners) Film #24

What a chore to sit through. A dreadfully slow build-up which leads to a dull payoff. Apparently my toenails were more interesting than what's on screen.

Maybe it will get better after a few re-watches, or maybe I just approached The Birds with the wrong mindset, it being directed by the great Alfred Hitchcock and all.

• EricAnders

★★★½ Rewatched by EricAnders 21 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Christopher Bowes

★★★ Watched by Christopher Bowes 20 Oct, 2014

FILM 13 OF HOOP-TOBER

By--let's put it at an arbitrary film around the correct time period--Dial M for Murder, Hitchcock had proven everything he needed to prove with tightly-wound plot. So he stopped caring, and that's when the films got really good. What's actually on the film being fought over in North by Northwest? Doesn't matter. Wouldn't Scottie be able to tell the difference between Judy and Madeleine in Vertigo? You're missing the point. Those films are about everything except…

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

Entertaining and wonderful. I wish I could have seen it back in 1963...it's impact would have been much greater then.

• Robert Berlin

★★★ Rewatched by Robert Berlin 20 Oct, 2014

Spooky Scary Horrorthons - Film #17

Hitchcock's creature feature shows how fundamentally fucked the human race is when nature decides that it have had enough of our bullshit. Despite a rather lengthy buildup to the actual man vs. bird action the film proves to be a technically impressive (for its time) and intense horror flick.

The first half of the film plays out a lot like many other Hitchcock films, featuring a blonde female (Tippi Hedren) in the lead role…

• Grooveman

★★★★ Rewatched by Grooveman 20 Oct, 2014

"It's the end of the world!"