• Lauryn

★★★★½ Added by Lauryn

As my first taste of Hitchcock, I am so glad that it was a captivating and interesting story. The Birds have stuck with me all these years, even when I go back to it I always find myself completely immersed in this world.

• Chris Williams

★★★★½ Watched by Chris Williams 29 Aug, 2014

I put off seeing this because I was convinced the big scenes of bird attacks would not hold up. And, no, they don't. But those scenes are more punctuation than anything, giving an escape valve to the suspense that Hitchcock masterfully builds throughout -- coupled with a great slow burn of a story with subtext about fears of female sexuality. I wish I'd known nothing about it beforehand, though. It starts like a romantic comedy and for the first half…

• teapot37

★★★★ Watched by teapot37 29 Aug, 2014

During the visit a socialite (Tippi Hedren) to a man (Rod Taylor) in the small coastal California town of Bodega Bay, the townspeople are startled to discover that the local birds are starting to attack them - just a gull or two at first, but eventually leading up to an all-out assault on them outside a diner. The attacks are never explained, which adds to the terror. Interestingly, there is no score to this movie.

• Jaime Grijalba

★★★★★ Watched by Jaime Grijalba 29 Aug, 2014

The Birds (1963)

10/10

A masterpiece from the Master of Suspense, and let's admit it, he was also a Master of Horror. Maybe he didn't think much of the genre itself, specially since until the 1960's it was mostly a minor one, filled with low grade science fiction creature movies that filled the drive-ins, but he surely managed to get a magnificent work of art and of technical proficiency in this movie. You just need to read or watch any…

• ACBlogReview

★★★½ Watched by ACBlogReview 29 Aug, 2014

Perhaps a little dated now but a remake would never work. Remember it for how it would have been then. It remains a classic, just don't watch it expecting to be horrified... you may look twice at birds now though.

• Christopher Fujino

★★★ Watched by Christopher Fujino 24 Aug, 2014 4

This film forms the basis of every Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie ever made. I once saw one where cockroaches attacked. And one where bees were swarming and killing people. And yes, that's right kids, without Hitchcock there'd be no Sharknado.

This is, so far, my least favorite Hitchcock film.

• Ned Ryerson

★★★★½ Watched by Ned Ryerson 25 Aug, 2014

87/100

Subtext becomes text. The inward turns outward, with Hitch operating in a reductionist mode that's painterly, abstract. We get a sense of Bodega Bay's autumnal chill and salty air during the enigmatic setup, an idyllic refuge for the privileged soon to be extinguished.

During the final act, when Mitch boards up the compound, the way Hitchcock directs that, we can all forget about horror direction and go home. It will not get better. Does not get better. There's a…

• Luis de los Santos

★★★ Watched by Luis de los Santos 24 Aug, 2014

"Sí, quisiera ordenar la jaula más grande que tengan... ¡no, no tan grande!"

• Steve Kimes

★★★★ Added by Steve Kimes

Hitchcock's take on a world turned against humanity. He is certainly the master of dread, and increasing this dread is that we are never sure why this town was being attacked. It wasn't at a particular person, for even children were attacked, but why? Why act this way? How to stop it? We don't really know the answer to either question. Like climate change, this new state of being is something humanity will have to live with. Horror is our future. Well done, sir.

• GKissM

★★★★★ Watched by GKissM 24 Aug, 2014

Madarak

• Lidija Savic

★★★★ Added by Lidija Savic

This is my worst nightmare adapted into a film years before I was even born. Thanks Hitchcock!

• Diego Garrido