• Béa

★★★★ Watched by Béa 06 May, 2015

First Hitchcock viewing ever, can you believe it?? I suppose he lives up to his praise. Excellent direction, cinematography, set and costume design. Truly an experience just based on aesthetics and a thrilling journey based on delivery of suspense.

• Sarah Shachat

★★★★ Added by Sarah Shachat

If you find yourself looking at The Birds in any sort of studies context, Hitchcock's implication of the viewer, the uncomfortable relationship we have with a really voyeuristic camera, is probably going to come up. The bird attacks are genuinely scary and percussive - but it's the lingering as she climbs those steps to the dark attack that really gets to you. Hitch is so amazingly control of what comes in and out of frame, and the timing of the…

• nathanreider

Added by nathanreider

Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" did not quite meet my expectations coming off of "Vertigo". Primarily, I found the plot much less engaging and realistic, so that immediately interfered with my appreciation of the film. The film also has no score, a unique choice which left me uncomfortable with the soundtrack. At times, there is only silence, and at times there is only the sound of birds. The soundtrack achieved its goal of heightening suspense with the birds, but at times…

• moviereviewninj

★★★★ Watched by moviereviewninj 26 Apr, 2015

A great tense well directed thriller.

• StewieP

★★★★★ Rewatched by StewieP 26 Apr, 2015

While I suspect most horror fans will place Psycho at the top of their go-to Hitchcock horror, I (slightly, very slightly) prefer The Birds. Both movies are definitely amazing, but the back and forth banter Melanie (Tippi Hedron) and Mitch (Rod Taylor) always makes me laugh. Plus, the birds attacking the children? Delightful.

The mother/son thing going on in both films is interesting too. I have to wonder if it's intentional, and I'm sure there's been tons of books that discusses it.

• Austin Bryant

VHS

• Alex Leonardis

Watched by Alex Leonardis 15 Apr, 2015

*Watched with Harry Fuertes*

The fact that people just sit here and label this as B-movie drivel is astounding. Like nearly every horror film ever... The Birds is about something deeper. The sexuality of us as human in regards to nature and gender roles on the whole. This is also something Hitch exemplifies in many of his other works. That screenplay is a monster.

90/10

• Mariomasq

★★★★ Watched by Mariomasq 19 Apr, 2015

Tippi Hedren

• Kikuchisawa

★★★★ Rewatched by Kikuchisawa 17 Apr, 2015

Film #6 in the Alfred Hitchcock Marathon!
    letterboxd.com/kikuchisawa/list/the-alfred-hitchcock-marathon-april-10-17/

Welcome to the final day of the Alfred Hitchcock Marathon, where we'll be taking a look at The Birds.

In this film, a woman named Melanie Daniels, arrested for jumping naked into a fountain, follows one of her witnesses to a small town called Bodega Bay, where the all the birds around the town, crows, sparrows, pigeons, seagulls, you name it, start attacking, seemingly for no reason at all!

This film was…

• Harry Fuertes

★★★★ Watched by Harry Fuertes 13 Apr, 2015

A masterclass in chaos and humility. Hitchcock is a master of editing and mise en scène. The Birds shows just how deadly nature proves to be if tampered with while superimposing it with the dangers of repressing female sexuality and expression. Only the great "Master of Suspense" can combine those two seamlessly while simultaneously thrilling us with the ridiculous plot of birds attacking helpless townspeople and titillated socialites. *applause*

• Warriors

★★ Added by Warriors

of all the Hitchkockmovies i saw was this the one i was disappointed with! no i didn't like it at all! all the other movies from the master were top!