• simonmeisinger

★★★★ Watched by simonmeisinger 03 Nov, 2014

• M.K. Nielsen

★★★★ Watched by M.K. Nielsen 03 Nov, 2014

It's difficult to ignore how the women are mostly useless, but the film's still bloody great.

• PTA

★★★★★ Rewatched by PTA 31 Oct, 2014

I had a budgie that bit my finger once.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 31 Oct, 2014

Films I hope to see by the end of 2014

Is it strange that my favourite moments in this movie are all the scenes before the first bird attack? I just like how they set-up everything and introduce us to the characters. The bird attacks are cool though, don't get me wrong.
    Now, let's be honest: if you told someone, "The movie is about a town ravaged by birds", they would probably wouldn't think twice about laughing. In that sense,…

• Mike Hricik

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Hricik 25 Oct, 2014 3

• Zach Betonte

★★ Watched by Zach Betonte 29 Oct, 2014

I adore the ambiguity of the disaster sequences, but Hitchcock's direction doesn't rise to the ambitious occasion. He unfairly depends on Hedren to serve as the audience conduit when she's given a character that is absent any concrete motivations. The spasmodic pandemonium is without question the most consequential imagery in the film, despite Hitchcock perching on each frame for far too long. Eventually every attack loses it's anxiety because their editorial structure becomes so predictable and languorous. Ultimately, it's a narrative waste machine that spends too much time with characters due to three act obligations rather than sincerity.

• maps9

★★★★½ Added by maps9

The Birds may be the final masterpiece of the great director's career. Starring Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor, it came three years after his great trio of Vertigo (1958), North by Northwest (1959), and Psycho (1960). In many ways it took all the themes he had worked into his filmography over the years and unleashed all them into one movie, much like the birds he unleashes onto the small town of Bodega Bay. The themes he addressed again and again:…

• Marv

★★★★★ Rewatched by Marv 25 Oct, 2014

An examination of fear. I saw this film last year at the horror film fest, with a q&a featuring Tippi Hedren. It's a great film to see in a movie theater. Tonight I saw it on TV and it's still the same great film, but I will cherish the experience of having first seen it on the big screen.

• tyosterman

★★★ Watched by tyosterman 25 Oct, 2014

No mystery that birds are dicks. Effects aside, looks lovely. Tandy/Pleshette are a treat. Bit of a bore, sadly.

• Maria Paula Hostin

★★★★ Watched by Maria Paula Hostin 23 Oct, 2014

muito top

• YI JIAN

Watched by YI JIAN 23 Oct, 2014 41

Hoop-Tober Challenge (For Beginners) Film #24

What a chore to sit through. A dreadfully slow build-up which leads to a dull payoff. Apparently my toenails were more interesting than what's on screen.

Maybe it will get better after a few re-watches, or maybe I just approached The Birds with the wrong mindset, it being directed by the great Alfred Hitchcock and all.

• EricAnders