• sage

★★★½ Watched by sage 23 Jan, 2014

first film of intro to film studies spring 2k14 and my first hitchcock film!! i liked it a lot. tippi hedren was rly cute in this even tho hitchcock was problematic as hell. weirdly comforting feel to this movie tbh

• Andrew Ford

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Ford 11 Nov, 2014

In my mind, for some reason, I'd chalked this one up to being "lesser" Hitchcock. It's not. And, frankly, I'm not sure there even is such a thing.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 04 Nov, 2012

Birds turn murderous in small coastal community, and for this premise Hitchcock produces some effective suspense setpieces, amid some less interesting romantic drama. An early example of horror thriller that does not bother to explain the whys and hows of the situation, viewers should draw their own conclusions. I personally go for some sort of neurotoxin. Impressive cinematography and special effects that couldn't have been easy to achieve in 1963. No score is an audacious move, but the electronic bird sounds we get in their place can be distracting.

• Movieman97

★★★½ Watched by Movieman97 09 Nov, 2014

Although most of the bird effects seem a bit dated by today's standards, and the script feels a little goofy at times, "The Birds" is a tight and sometimes frightening thriller, with some terrific use of suspense and terror.

• Chevalier

★★★ Watched by Chevalier 09 Nov, 2014

The Birds is a display of both Hitchcocks ups and downs as a director. On one hand there are some fantastic scenes of gripping tension, with the feathered antagonists attacking the characters. On the other hand, a slugish first half trying to establish characters in a rather clumsy way. It becomes obvious once more that Hitch was never good directing actors, doing a poor job getting good performances from them. Our two lead actors are not bad performers, but they…

• directorscut

★★★★★ Rewatched by directorscut 14 Oct, 2014

Without The Birds there probably wouldn't be the zombie genre as we know it today. Romero greatly appropriated the final half of this film for Night of the Living Dead as a small group fight their own differences and overwhelming outer force leading to a bleak ending. The siege aspect, fortifying the house, trying to get whatever news they can from the radio/TV, the quick shocking gore. Just replace birds with zombies.

• Stella

★★★★ Rewatched by Stella 07 Nov, 2014

Classic film. Book is better

• simonmeisinger

★★★★ Watched by simonmeisinger 03 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• M.K. Nielsen

★★★★ Watched by M.K. Nielsen 03 Nov, 2014

It's difficult to ignore how the women are mostly useless, but the film's still bloody great.

• PTA

★★★★★ Rewatched by PTA 31 Oct, 2014

I had a budgie that bit my finger once.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★★ Watched by Njabs Phungula 31 Oct, 2014

Films I hope to see by the end of 2014

Is it strange that my favourite moments in this movie are all the scenes before the first bird attack? I just like how they set-up everything and introduce us to the characters. The bird attacks are cool though, don't get me wrong.
    Now, let's be honest: if you told someone, "The movie is about a town ravaged by birds", they would probably wouldn't think twice about laughing. In that sense,…

• Mike Hricik

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Hricik 25 Oct, 2014 3

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.