• Robin Solsjö Höglund

★★★½ Rewatched by Robin Solsjö Höglund 24 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

My sister opted for this one as we had pizza. I think she enjoyed it overall - the birds themselves (60's effects!) and the small village/town feel to it. The drama and romance didn't appeal to her though.

This is a classic - campy, dated, but always with a certain charm. It has moments of immortal brilliance (the school sequence for one). If you truly want to learn how difficult this film was to make, not for Hitch, but for…

• BillH

★★★★★ Rewatched by BillH 13 Sep, 2015

This is my favorite Alfred Hitchcock.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 11 Oct, 2006

Maybe Hitch's best.

• memily

★★★★ Added by memily

Truly terrifying, especially on the big screen.

• The Movie King

★★★★ Rewatched by The Movie King 18 Sep, 2015

Hoop-Tober 2015 #2- The Birds

On the surface, The Birds just looks like another goofy horror B-Movie where birds attack and crazy stuff happens. It also doesn't help that the actual bird effects have aged quite a bit since 1963 and the attempt to develop a romance between our main characters played by Rod Taylor and Tippi Hendren seen awkward considering the premise of the film is about psychotic birds. Some of the secondary acting (like the loony mother…

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Blackburn 09 Sep, 2015

With all of the others movies that deal with how humans are not taking care of the earth and that's why nature is striking back I wonder if that's what went through people's minds when they saw "The Birds" in theatres. There's not a lot that tells us why they are attacking but I have to say that some of the effects still hold up today and there is still great tension when you are seeing flocks of birds gather together in the movie.

• Joseph Brown

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Brown 13 Sep, 2015

I've always dismissed The Birds as one of Hitchcock's fluffier pieces of camp, looking back the blame could partially be put on the head-scratching ending. Revisiting it now I was surprised at how layered and meticulous The Birds is, from its Samuel-Fuller-like first act to a transition to a realm of horror unmatched in 1963. It doesn't get as much respect as Hitchcock's other top billed works and I'm not sure why.

• coach

★★★½ Watched by coach 01 Jul, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Extremely suspenseful and eerie, The Birds was, in my opinion different from many movies of it's kind. The action/suspense builds on itself. I'll use the playground scene as an example from the movie. Melanie is sitting outside with the kids choir in the background, while black crows one by one start to land on the playground equipment and then the camera switches back to Melanie, after about ten crows, the next switch back, the crows fill the shot, making it seem like hundreds.

• Jessica Hicks

★★★½ Rewatched by Jessica Hicks 07 Sep, 2015

While THE BIRDS has never been my favorite Hitchcock, I've grown to appreciate and enjoy it a lot more. On this viewing I noticed several things:

Baby Veronica Cartwright is way more helpful than adult Veronica Cartwright in ALIEN

Suzanne Pleshette is an underrated character. Her entire arc is just a sad series of events that lead to inevitable death. But man does she rock it with her calm cool voice and cigarette smoking.

My first complaints still stand, though. THE BIRDS suffers greatly from pacing issues and scenes that could have been edited down a bit. But who am I to judge Hitchcock?

• Parker

★★★ Watched by Parker 31 Aug, 2015 2

To be honest, that bird attack on the schoolyard looks a lot like this:

It's still pretty OK, though. The last 20 minutes are great.

Maybe I'd like it more if I wasn't expecting it to be one of the best movies ever made.

• caitlinmc

★★½ Watched by caitlinmc 09 Jul, 2015

The Birds film was not a favorable choice of mine compared to the other films I have seen from this decade. As seen that the film was called an Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece, I had expected this film to be amazing but, was very disappointed. The only part of this film that was enjoyable was the enhanced technical work of the time.
    The part of this movie that made me very disappointed was the acting. Compared to the other films of…

• bbbgtoby

★★ Watched by bbbgtoby 29 Aug, 2015

The first hour is tedious as he sets up some awful people/characters, some of the writing is BAD but it isnt helped by such poor actors as Tippy and Rod. There's a great scene in a diner but mostly it's all just ineffectual flailing and wailing, apart from Jessica Tandy who seems to have decided she is above such things and stands in the corner silently whenever the birds attack. Good on her.