• BilltheThrill

★★★½ Rewatched by BilltheThrill 06 Feb, 2015

My first real viewing of it because watching it in high school was clearly just for shits n' giggles. Tippi Hedren wasn't unbearable here like she was in Marnie, and Rod Taylor is pretty cool. It's not easy to take the plot seriously, and the ending kind of underwhelmed me, but The Birds remains an entertaining and hugely influential horror/thriller.

• Daniel PG Simpson

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel PG Simpson 05 Feb, 2015

I liked the birds a lot on my first viewing, and this rewatch for a film class has only furthered my appreciation. The story is simple, but I really dig Hitchcock's slow-build. We spend a lot of time with Melanie Daniels and seeing the various relationship dramas play out before the bird attacks really begin. Many argue this was done to develop the characters, and while that is true, I think it actually serves another purpose. By setting up all…

• feedingbrett

★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 07 Feb, 2015 4

Review In A Nutshell:

Hitchcock has been on a roll; starting from The Trouble with Harry, there has not been a film from his catalogue that I didn't think highly of, until I stumbled upon The Birds. After revisiting North By Northwest, Psycho and Vertigo; I have arrived on another of Hitchcock's most well-known films, the monster film that shaped many films that succeeded it; notably Steven Spielberg's Jaws and Close Encounter of the Third Kind. My expectations were certainly…

• Colonel_Dax

★★★★★ Rewatched by Colonel_Dax 03 Feb, 2015

In a double feature, there likely isn't a cinematic act harder to follow than Vertigo (both screened tonight in 35mm- Bard, I love you), but The Birds unquestionably stands as a masterpiece in its own right, and for such different reasons than Vertigo, that Hitchcock's deserved moniker as the master of suspense almost seems to convey a lack of versatility. Where Vertigo was a quietly building slow burn, The Birds is accentuated by volatile acts of violence, each one of…

• deadmanramsey

★★★½ Added by deadmanramsey

71/100

• Eric Barroso

★★★★ Watched by Eric Barroso 30 Jan, 2015

Hitchcock's experimental film.

• Jabba Hutt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jabba Hutt 29 Jan, 2015

One of my all-time favourites.

This is a true popcorn movie and one that is both bizarre and technically challenging, even by today's standards.

I love the combination of tracking shots Hitchcock does all through this - Tippi Hedren is shown quickly pacing away from the camera, which is following her along as she goes and we get cut-away shots of what she's looking at while walking, and the smooth movement of the camera in these shots creates a sense…

• Devin Sheridan

★★★½ Watched by Devin Sheridan 27 Jan, 2015

Was originally called "Stubborn, clueless woman begrudgingly goes out of her way to play a prank" but the studio thought that was too long.

Pretty impressive how eerie the tone of this gets especially without a soundtrack to help accompany it. Also pretty great visuals considering what they were doing to accomplish the effects.

• de_rupam

★★★½ Watched by de_rupam 26 Jan, 2015

the story has no ending
    quarterly satisfied
    directing,and other technical cinematic divisions are likable
    but won't re-watch it

• shakthi

★★★★ Watched by shakthi 17 Jan, 2015

Worth a watch.. An as usual Hitchcock movie which was interesting and thrilling.Dialogues and screenplay was perfect.
    Especially last 45 minutes was more thrilling and it made think i was actually in that situation.

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

More layered and engaging than I thought it would be. The whole setup with the characters in the first half of the film makes their interactions so much more interesting later on. The Birds really stands out from typical horror in this fashion. It's almost like he was making some kind of Cary Grant witty romance film and then threw a bunch of birds at the audience as a F--- you. I haven't seen a lot of Hitch, but I wouldn't put something like that past him.

• Scott Fairgrieve

★★★★½ Rewatched by Scott Fairgrieve 18 Jan, 2015

Probably the first "horror" movie I watched on TV as a kid. Some iconic scary moments that have stayed with me for 40 years. First half is low, but the great scenery makes up for it. The image with the farmer with his eyes pecked out was very shocking at the time. The scene in the diner was classic. "The Mist" (another favorite) definitely borrows from that.