• Zachary Beckler

★★★★★ Added by Zachary Beckler

This is Hitchcock’s bleakest ending. It is also one of my favorite of his films, which I would rank alongside Vertigo, Rear Window, and Psycho.

In Jason Zinoman’s fantastic novel Shock Value, he paints a vivid picture of horror in the 60’s and 70’s. All of our now favorite American horror directors, Carpenter, Hooper, Romero, held respect for and but wanted to rebelled against Hitchcock’s more stately and classical style. They wanted more freedom, more violence, and most of all,…

• Kiko Vega

★★★★★ Rewatched by Kiko Vega 19 Jun, 2014 1

Cuesta imaginar la reacción de los espectadores de 1963 ante una película tan opresiva, poco dada a la fiesta y sin más banda sonora que los acongojantes graznidos de los angry birds.
    Hay mil movidas en esta peli que no dejan de follar el cerebro del espectador, y casi ninguna que nos interese realmente (bueno, un poco sí) va sobre las razones de los pájaros.
    Lo que me flipa es que los personajes son bastante sospechosos en general: una tronca…

• Tom Prankerd

★★ Added by Tom Prankerd

I never really got the fuss over this one. There's a lovely atmosphere early on and the first bird attacks are terrifying but then it quickly becomes repetitive and dull.

• Allison Klemes

★★★★½ Added by Allison Klemes

this is the first hitchcock movie that i've seen. it's funny. i found this story to be dumb at first. rogue crows? how in the world does that happen?

shortly after i saw this movie i was training for lifeguarding at the beach. i was going for a run before i left and i saw a bunch of seagulls just milling around in a large group. the daredevil in me told me to run through them and watch them scatter…

• RogerE

★★★★ Watched by RogerE 15 Jun, 2014

Excellent horror/thriller movie. Fascinating to see a successful movie without a musical score. A truly ground breaking movie.

• Raph Lumbroso

★★★ Watched by Raph Lumbroso 13 Jun, 2014

The Birds is undeniably an important landmark in Hitchock's legacy but a dull build up and a wooden attempt at acting from its leading lady makes it a hollow affair.

• Kyle Porter

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Porter 09 Jun, 2014

This is the first time I had ever seen this movie from beginning to end. Sad, I know. I rather enjoyed it. It was well made, well acted, and suspenseful at times. I've only seen a small handful of Alfred Hitchcock films, but I think it's safe to say that I need to see more.

• MK R

★★★★½ Added by MK R

Alfred Hitchcock's prequel to Alien dramatizes navigator Lambert's (Veronica Cartwright) traumatic childhood before she went into space.

• Zachary Zahos

★★★★★ Watched by Zachary Zahos 05 Jun, 2014

How has it taken me this long to see The Birds? I have a few egregious omissions left in my classic film roster (West Side Story and Gone With the Wind among them) but this may be the most outstanding. I never jumped on the chance to see this one as I have with Psycho, North by Northwest and other Hitchcocks, because The Birds always seemed like a joke. I mean, it's called The Birds. Birds flying into windows, pecking…

• loureviews

★★★ Rewatched by loureviews 05 Jun, 2014

Number 6 in the Reverse Hitchcock project.

'The Birds' is one of Hitchcock's best known films, and the third time he would work from an original story by Daphne du Maurier. This is a film of two halves, a rather lacklustre romantic story for around the first forty minutes, and then a full-blown horror where avian attacks become the terror of Bodega Bay.

Technically, the bird attacks are done well, even if it is now obvious where the fakery occurred.…

• Owen Hughes

★★★ Rewatched by Owen Hughes 28 May, 2014

I had to go to London for work purposes last Wednesday, so needed something to occupy myself with on the train. Having recently watched (and been massively disappointed with) another Hitchcock film The Trouble with Harry, I thought I'd see what other Hitch films were in my possession that I hadn't seen before that I could transfer to my tablet. It was a toss up between watching the remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much and The Birds. I…

• Sam Van Hallgren

★★★★★ Watched by Sam Van Hallgren 31 May, 2014 3

"I'm not even sure I like you."

Come for the birds; leave haunted by all the freaky looks that Tippi Hedren gets from the residents of Bodega Bay - first and foremost Jessica Tandy's. (Tandy is terrific.) With the exception of love interest Rod Taylor, everyone seems so unnerved by Hedren that you start to think that they're literally seeing a different face than the (gorgeous) one we're seeing. Is she evil incarnate? Maybe. As Melanie Daniels, Hedren is uncanny. Or uncannily directed by Hitchcock. Lovely and not unkind; and yet impenetrably cold and distant.