• Matt Mahoney

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Mahoney 11 Apr, 2016

Gary Oldman's return to villainy, and it's perfect. He's started drifting away from completely disappearing into his roles. He no longer becomes Mason Verger or Stansfield or Dracula; he plays Oldman as the lead scientist overseeing Robocop, or Oldman as Dreyfus in Dawn of the Apes, or Oldman as a Russian guy in Child 44. Here he's channeling Jack Nicholson to play essentially, well, if you haven't figured out the mystery of The Book already you'll figure it out, and…

• John Bacin

★★★★ Watched by John Bacin 20 Apr, 2016

I was afraid this was going to be a film that I had seen done a thousand other ways, and therefore would not be interesting, but I was wrong. Good action-story alternation, and Denzel, as always, was perfect. Excellent picture.

• Onno van der Wijden

★★★★ Watched by Onno van der Wijden 17 Apr, 2016

mooie film, mooie grand finale

• S

★★ Watched by S 15 Apr, 2016

Wait... a Christian post apocalyptic film where most of America is a waste land has San Francisco as the green promise land..?
    Good performances in an extremely dull film that looks cool except the terrible sky effects.

• akachru

★★★ Watched by akachru 16 Apr, 2016

Should have been called Book of Sky Replacement.

Every shot in the film has overbearing sky replacement done to give that epic look and feel... But some of it doesn't sit right.

Some striking visuals plus solid world building make this an interesting film.

• giel maasje

★★★★½ Added by giel maasje

Goede film, apocalyps, hou ik van. Mooie rol van Denzel.
    De mensen die denken dat hij de hele film blind was, is niet zo.
    Toen ik hoorde dat hij door god werd begeleid en blind was, was bijna de film voor mij verpest. Toen keek ik hem nog eens en dacht ik nee, dat kan niet.
    Hij is gewoon een sicke dude die ook braille heeft geleerd.

• marcb

★★★½ Watched by marcb 10 Apr, 2016

Drab visuals and stellar performances plus derivative story and boring biblical allusions.

• JC13

★★★½ Watched by JC13 09 Apr, 2016

"Where are you going?"

"West"

One of my friends has been telling me to watch this movies for years, but I was never all that interested. Today was his birthday so I wartched it with him and another friend. Denzel Washington is good in the lead role and Gary Oldman is a lot of fun as the villain. The film has a washed out look to it that takes some getting used to, but I felt it worked for the…

• NikoBS

★★★★ Added by NikoBS

• JPee

★★★ Watched by JPee 31 Mar, 2016

Jumala on suuri

• strangebill

★★★ Rewatched by strangebill 01 Apr, 2016

There are several times in this movie where it switches between really good and bad. Whether it's because of an overly slick action scene, a goofy scene transition, or some poorly delivered dialogue. I do really like the world building in this movie. It's set in a place that feels like belongs somewhere between The Road and Mad Max.

• Craig Hart

★★★½ Added by Craig Hart

Another grimy post-apocalyptic vision of America. Thirty years after a war responsible for environmental catastrophe, Eli (Denzel Washington) makes his way across the United States, carrying with him the only extant copy of the King James Bible, driven by what he believes is the word of God. Along the way, he has to fight marauders and bandits, eventually coming to a ramshackle town ruled by Carnegie (Gary Oldman), who is in search of a copy of the Bible as well,…