• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

I'm at a loss for words, so let me say these right away: "The Book of Eli" is very watchable. You won't be sorry you went. It grips your attention, and then at the end throws in several WTF! moments, which are a bonus. They make everything in the entire movie impossible and incomprehensible -- but, hey, WTF.

Now to the words I am at a loss for. The story involves a lone wanderer (Denzel Washington) who wears a name…

• Ruben Kwaaitaal

½ Added by Ruben Kwaaitaal

This movie was really boring. I was really looking forward to it...

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 18 Jan, 2010

I quite enjoyed it.

It's clearly borrowing from the entire post-apocalypse sub-genre, but it makes this very apparent with the A Boy and his Dog poster that shows up. It's very aware of its inspirations. And, unlike something like The Road, it at least does something interesting with its setting and story. People calling it preachy and religious are kinda missing the point.

• Marii

★★★½ Rewatched by Marii 09 Apr, 2014

Pirmo reizi šo filmu redzēju sliktā kvalitātē un laikam tāpēc iespaids bija tāds nekāds. Noskatoties tagad, pamatīgi iespaidoja filmas vizuālais saules izdedzinātais-smilšaini brūnais noformējums un spēcīgais vēstījums par ticības spēku. Filmā parādītā pēcapokalipses pasaule ir ticama, lai gan savi robi sižetā ir.

• Zonnywhoop

★★½ Rewatched by Zonnywhoop 06 Apr, 2014

Another post-apocalyptic tale that suffers from an insatiable urge to look and feel cool-which it does. The Hughes' have the whole grayscale thing down and there are times this movie is nothing less than a joy too look at.

But everything else in the movie falls flat. Other than Oldman, the acting is terrible and the entire story is so inadequately conceived and executed I won't even bother getting into it. Too bad the cannibal tea-drinkers scene wasn't longer as it is one of only a few things I enjoyed enough about this movie to go back to it for a second viewing.

• yurik09

★★★½ Added by yurik09

Well if i had to pick between this one and ANY of Will Smith's futuristic flicks, i'd go for Book of Eli. Because Denzel is Denzel and Gary Oldman plays the role of intellectual villain so well that the film was very watchable

• smellsen

★★½ Added by smellsen

Denzel makes this.

• Murvie

★★★ Watched by Murvie 12 Mar, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Windows

★★★ Watched by Windows 04 Mar, 2014

This was a pretty good movie. Had a slow start but definitely got better. The plot was kind of simplistic, but at the same time very clever. Plot holes weren't very noticeable. Gary Oldman gives a decent performance, but Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis shine!

• Max

★★★½ Added by Max

A movie set in the universe of the Fallout Games and the MadMax Movies. People who like this post nuclear setting will not be disappointed. The filters underline the tragic of the situation, the story is realistic. I liked it.

• TheCincyKid

★★★★ Added by TheCincyKid

I admire how low-key it decided to be, and refreshingly gritty and bleak. It has a patient and gradual sense of exposition that keeps us invested and the makings of a classically entertaining Hollywood good vs. evil plot, and balances its characters and concepts in a smartly self-contained and mercifully efficient manner. Thankfully, it never gets heavy-handed with the biblical elements, no characters devolve into ill-conceived cliches and the tone remains consistent.

• Zmuda

★★★½ Added by Zmuda

He was black the entire time.