• Ben Dugan

★★ Added by Ben Dugan

Well, if I've said it once I've said it... well, I'm not sure. But I know I've said it at least once. But I'm gonna say it again.
    Denzel Washington is a great actor.
    Denzel Washington almost always makes movies I do not like.
    Denzel Washington is in THE BOOK OF ELI.
    I do not like THE BOOK OF ELI.
    However...
    Tom Waits is also in THE BOOK OF ELI. Could that possibly throw a wrench in my perfectly used, previously stated formula?
    (watches THE BOOK OF ELI)
    Nope. This movie is not good. But Tom Waits is cool. So there is that.

• David Yates

★★★★ Watched by David Yates 01 Dec, 2010 1

Fallout: The Movie

• David Nolan

★★½ Added by David Nolan

The first act of The Book of Eli is terrific and suggests that it will be an impressive film. The Hughes brothers find a series of eerie images to capture this world, thirty years on from the 'big flash", Denzel Washington lend his magnetism to the taciturn, efficiently murderous protagonist, and the society we encounter is just complex and different enough to be interesting.
    A small settlement run by Gary Oldman (who holds power due to his knowledge of where…

• mfulton

★½ Added by mfulton

C-

• bicyclemark

★★★ Rewatched by bicyclemark 19 Jul, 2015 1

I'm pretty sure this film is the tool of some kind of christian sect to somehow recruit action fans. That being said, I sort of didn't worry about the motive of the film and enjoyed the show. Denzel is Eli, a hero that reminds us of Will Smith in I Am Legend, Vigo Mortensen in The Road, Kevin Costner in the Postman, or maybe Mel Gibson as Mad Max.. if you will. Though the film itself is not as well…

• PhilParma

★★★ Added by PhilParma

It's 30 years in the future - a dilapidated post-apocalyptic hellscape of biblical proportions...but hey, things can't be that bad; Mila Kunis manages to scrounge up enough makeup/eyeliner to cake her face, and Denzel had the foresight to hoard 30 years rations of Crest Whitestrips. God is not dead.

• TheCinemaMan101

★★★½ Watched by TheCinemaMan101 15 Jul, 2015 1

This film will keep you interested into the engaging and deserted world along with good performances by Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis, even though with an ending could've been more.

Grade: B-

• Oskars Three word reviews

★★½ Added by Oskars Three word reviews

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Religous post apocalysm

• Joseph Blackwell

★★ Watched by Joseph Blackwell 04 Jul, 2015

Heavyhanded religious bullshit should never be combined with post-apocalyptic action, it just doesn't work, no matter how many relatively good gunfights and guys being beheaded by sharp blades are thrown into the mix.

• MrSharky

★★★★ Watched by MrSharky 23 Jun, 2015

Still a great film.

The muted colour palette adds so much to the overall post-apocalyptic vision being presented, and the simple story of belief, power and corruption in a world where just surviving is a day-to-day requirement is very well delivered.

• fabitof

Watched by fabitof 10 Jun, 2015

Eu tenho essa mania de querer ver todos os filmes do mundo. Daí me obrigo a assistir a isso. Nesse drama apocalíptico, Denzel Washington é mais uma vez um personagem arrogante. Mas ele não é só arrogante, ele mata uma gangue inteira com um facão, não erra um tiro (mesmo com 50 outros caras atirando contra ele), tem um iPod que funciona (ainda que o mundo como conhecemos já tenha acabado há 30 anos) e sabe de cor e em…

• Jeff M

★★★ Watched by Jeff M 19 Jun, 2015

Nice Beats headphones, Eli ;)

I can appreciate the theme that religion can be used for good or evil, especially in the grand tradition of allegorical science fiction.

It doesn't resonate with me at all.