• Brynn

★★★★ Watched by Brynn 21 Nov, 2015

Finally got around to watching this, and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic acting, especially from Denzel, but the story was also well told, and a fitting ending that ties it all together.

• dadgumblah

★★★★½ Added by dadgumblah

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Excellent Denzel Washington flick, set in a post-apocalyptic America, where a lone traveler makes his way across the desolate land protecting a special book that may hold the key to saving mankind. He is set upon by scavengers at various times and never fails to kick their butts and/or kill them.

He wanders into a town run by a villainous Gary Oldman, who has heard of the book and the power it could bring. Naturally he wants it for his…

• cblaze

★★★★ Rewatched by cblaze 09 Nov, 2015

It's a fun movie to rewatch and notice the little touches they throw in to make the ending work. Denzel is one of my favorite actors - he has a natural charisma and intensity that he can switch on and off with ease. Gary Oldman is always fun to watch as well - he knows madness.

The film suffers from some pacing issues - but it's a glorious look at the wasteland and has some wonderful violence. It's a film…

• Erin

★★★½ Added by Erin

Fun watch, interesting world, but more or less mediocre as far as movies go. And kinda boring at times, honestly. Not a ton happens for the most part.

• PerseuEvans

★★★ Watched by PerseuEvans 07 Nov, 2015

It took some centuries but, after the Book of Revelations, finally someone made a Christian apocalyptic dystopia with a lot of violence. A thought-provoking concept (especially when it touches on the power of books), but executed in a - here comes the pun - "by the book" way. Mila Kunis almost ruins the whole movie looking and acting like a Victoria's Secret model while the world is falling apart.

• panos75

★★★ Added by panos75

A lonely and seemingly indestructible guy traverses a post-apocalyptic America. His ultimate goal is to find a city at the West Coast where the book he carries will help humanity rise again from the ashes of destruction and bring back the civilization that was lost.

This stylish and violent presentation of a dystopian future would have been one of the best examples of its sub-genre if not for the twist at the end which is too clever by half and…

• lowks

★★★★ Rewatched by lowks 31 Oct, 2015

Much better the second time I saw it. The world is realistically realized. The acting and plot if workman like but it works and serves to push the movie forward. Great double bill with Fury Road.

• Cass Nicholas

★★★ Watched by Cass Nicholas 20 Oct, 2015

This was like mad max but instead of gasoline, it's books

• Jack Gattanella

★★½ Added by Jack Gattanella

Has good action and performances and... the sort of shitty twist that makes me want to punch infants.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★ Added by Dave Holmes

Somber redux of Mad Max (or dozens of Westerns), given added interest by some truly beautiful lensing and sometimes great action choreography which eschews the current Hollywood reliance on close-ups and choppy edits and shakycams to infer chaos. Premise is also intriguing, perhaps invoking more spirituality than theology, nevertheless it's a provocative reflection of the way religion today is (and has always, I guess) been subverted to invoke fear and obedience instead of "do unto others". I don't subscribe to…

• Zach

★★★½ Added by Zach

cool setting shit rest

• wakeupjyoo

★★★★½ Watched by wakeupjyoo 12 Mar, 2011

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

'물'이 사라진 광야,
    '그 책'을 이용하여 더 큰 힘을 얻고자하는 지도자,
    결국 '그 책'을 얻었으니 그 책은 맹인들을 위한 책,
    진짜 맹인은 읽을수 있으나 정신이 맹인인 인간은 볼 수 없는 책,

'그 책'을 광야를 지나 '서쪽'에 있는 세상에 전달하려는 남자와 여자,
    이제 '그 책'은 물질적으로는 없으나 머리에 남아있다.
    '입'과 '말'을 통해 전해지는 '그 책'

엄청난 액션으로 무장하고 실제로 있을법한 디스토피아를 그리고 있다.
    많은 것을 생각케 하는 영화