• soccerfw5

★★★★★ Watched by soccerfw5 24 Nov, 2014

Easily one of my favorite movies of all time due to one of the biggest plot surprises of all time. Denzel plays a man named Eli who is taking a book to the other side of the united states. he started on the east coast and ends up in san Francisco after a few meets up with the bad guy gary oldman. the movie as a whole is amazing and shows why denzel is so amazing.

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 01 May, 2012

A pretty boring experience, but only because it is very slow paced. The story is there, but really is only enough for a short film. Denzel is the hero of the hour and courtesy of the Hughes Brothers (FROM HELL), walks an apocalyptic American landscape slicing up anyone who stands in his way. Gary Oldman, of course, is one of these people, and wants the very book that he carries, and though it's obvious what the book is about a…

• stevo

★★★★ Added by stevo

I actually really liked this one. Denzel is awesome, and the atmosphere and pacing are great.

• Michael "PhantomKnight" Dennos

★★★★ Rewatched by Michael "PhantomKnight" Dennos 11 Nov, 2014

Even though I wouldn't call myself religious, I can say that this is still a pretty awesome movie. Most of all, I love the way The Hughes Brothers direct it (the tracking shot action sequence is great) and the raw feel they give to the story; it's an action movie that doesn't feel like an action movie -- in a good way. Plus, the performances, especially from Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman, are very strong. And again, I'm not religious,…

• Adrian Zachow

★★ Watched by Adrian Zachow 03 Sep, 2010

Meh! "The Road" was far better than this. Also, the premise is hard to swallow. In a post-apocalyptic world Washington is the sole carrier of the last remaining Bible, ordained by a voice in his head to take it West - to a bunkered down museum in Alcatraz in fact! His precious cargo is sought after by villainous Oldman whose intentions include setting up a new corrupt world order. If it sounds silly, it's because it is. It is a good looking pic, as per usual with any Hughes Bros. project, and does have some hard-hitting action set-pieces, but that's about it.

• Andy

★★½ Added by Andy

Ok a parte il messaggio cristiano...che si poteva evitare...come si dovrebbe evitare di mettere sta cazzo di religione dappertutto...

• Kaisergustaf

★★★ Rewatched by Kaisergustaf 11 Jan, 2014

Doomsday films rock and Wenzel is good in this. He is fit and the fighting scenes are amazing. Great grey world. Gary Oldman cements the film.

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Wonderful adventurous post-apocalyptic west film. As usual for Gary Oldman, he gives an earth-shaking performance. Excellent fight-scenes for Denzel.

• Julia

★★★★½ Added by Julia

Well, this movie was great. When watching it, no one told me I'm going to like it. So I watched it as I would watch any action/adventure movie. And it wasn't even boring. And of course, the ending was what made the movie different from others alike. And the ending is also the reason I liked it so much.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe DiCanio 17 Jul, 2013

Rating: A

• KMOKLER

★★½ Added by KMOKLER

The Book of Eli is an OK action movie but at times so dark its dull but thanks to Gary Oldman's great villanous role and Denzel Washington's badassary it doesn't make the movie looks as bad as it actually is.

• MrPootytang

★★★½ Added by MrPootytang

A focused plot with a strong cast and presented with a grey-scaled hue, The Book of Eli is an intriguing movie. Denzel Washington holds everything together with his powerful lead-role. The ending was disappointing, it could've done without Mila Kunis she seemed wastefully added to me.