• Corban

★★½ Watched by Corban 28 May, 2016

Not the worst slasher film I've seen. Not bad on a low budget. Not good either.

• SpringwdSlasher

★★★★★ Rewatched by SpringwdSlasher 25 May, 2016

"Don't look; he'll see you. Don't breathe; he'll hear you. Don't move; you're dead!"

The Burning is one of the all time greatest slasher movies, maybe one of the best horror films in general, and one of the most underrated horror films out there. From the first time I watched it last year, it became an instant favorite. It has so much that puts it a cut (pun intended) above the other slasher movies of the era.

The Burning is…

• MysticSpoonAttack

★★★ Watched by MysticSpoonAttack 24 May, 2016 8

Pretty much a film Letterboxd hipsters will proclaim is "Friday the 13th if it was actually good", simply because this film tries to make its viewers sympathise with its killer, despite the fact that it's damn near identical to Friday the 13th and its first sequel in terms of characters, nudity, gore, setting, music, situations and even complete scenes.

It's a bunch of teenagers. On a summer camp. They have sex. There's a killer on the loose. They pull pranks…

• Capra_cinefila

★★★½ Added by Capra_cinefila

Sorprendente questo slasher sanguinolento diretto in maniera accettabile e con qualche bella trovata da Tony Maylam (che tra l'altro partecipa alla stesura del copione). I luoghi e le situazioni sono quelli preferiti dal sotto-genere (campeggio, lago, ragazze ignude, ragazzi infoiati e maniaco vendicativo al seguito). Nonostante gli omicidi siano centellinati il ritmo non ne risente più di tanto, complice anche una più che discreta prova dei giovani attori. Mitica l'efferata scena della zattera. Gli ottimi effetti truculenti sono di Tom Savini.

• Humanstein

★★★★ Added by Humanstein

If Friday the 13th were more proud of what it was, it'd be The Burning.

• Charles Pieper

★★★ Watched by Charles Pieper 22 May, 2016

An entertaining but old fashioned and lumpily edited slasher film indeed.

Impressive gore effects by Savini and a pretty impressive final set piece set this slightly above the usual 80s Summer Camp slasher but had the film had better editing and pacing it could have been more impressive. This could actually possibly benefit from a well done and more clever remake, dare I say!

• Andrew Furtado

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Furtado 20 May, 2016

So surprised this one didn't take off over F13.

I get that it's appealing when you don't know who is doing the killing the whole time and the mystery is there... But everytime I thought I knew where THE BURNING was going it went and proved me wrong.

So glad I finally saw it!

• Derek Abbott

★★★½ Rewatched by Derek Abbott 08 May, 2016

(Viewing Format: 2013 Blu-ray, 1.85:1 HD)

The blu-ray of this nasty slasher looks amazing. And the movie itself holds up really well - especially the gore effects from the master, Tom Savini.

• Liz

★★★ Watched by Liz 14 May, 2016

Not bad. Not amazing. I want a horror movie where the weiner shots outnumber the boobs.

• AndrewFM1987

★★★★ Added by AndrewFM1987

[I'm rating this as a 4 against other slasher movies, not in terms of the wider scheme.]

Very similar to FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2, this movie distinguishes itself slightly from the pack of summer camp slashers by being a bit more "MANIAC", a bit more grimy and grindhousy. It would actually be just at home with Jeff Lieberman's classic JUST BEFORE DAWN as it would with any of the Friday's it's clearly aping.

Really good Tom Savini effects for the most part (raft scene rather unconvincing, but nightmarish none the less) and good atmosphere. Music by Rick Wakeman - ha.

• Redwell

★★★ Watched by Redwell 10 May, 2016

Harvey Weinstein's first producer credit and one of his only writing credits. Tom Savini on the effects work. Prototypical camp slasher meets teen sex comedy. The first kill is straight out of Michael Powell's Peeping Tom (1960) which kicks off a bunch of twisted sexual scenarios. It's not new for 80s slashers to be trashy, but I find this one especially gross. The highlights lie in Rick Wakeman's overbearing score, the wilderness survival aspect that surfaces halfway through, and the…

• Bowie

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bowie 08 May, 2016

One of the very best slashers. The Burning exudes more characterization, style and technique than nearly every other American slasher made in the 80's. Probably the best actual representation of summer camp from a genre that ran that setting to death. It gets across the sheer discomfort that comes from having to share living space with people you can't stand and yet having to maintain some sense of civility. It's fun seeing and hanging out with oddly-confident and charismatic young…