• Jeremie Richard

★★★★ Watched by Jeremie Richard 06 Feb, 2016

The Burning is a film that we can thank for the eventual successes of Bob and Harvey Weinstein and their distribution company Miramax, without whom we might not have seen the independent film boom of the 1990s. It's also a film that helped launch the acting careers of the likes of Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter, Brian Backer and Fisher Stevens. Not too shabby thus far now is it? The film's only real flaw is that it came out in the…

• Xplodera

★★½ Watched by Xplodera 04 Feb, 2016

“So don't look; he'll see you. Don't breathe; he'll hear you. Don't move; you're dead!”

The opening credits to The Burning brings some heavy names, we’ve got Harvey Weinstein, responsible for tons of masterpieces writing the script, the master of blood Tom Savini as well as synth-guardian Rick Wakeman doing the score. Let’s just say that the latter two deliver much more than the first guy.

This is in every sense of the word a typical slasher, with an unbelievable…

• mrbeard

★★★½ Watched by mrbeard 30 Jan, 2016

Heavily inspired by Friday the 13th and Halloween, it still manages to have its own identity, thanks to the fantastic crew attached to it and that it was based on the classic Cropsy story.

Plot is the standard killer on the loose at a young persons summer camp, except this time there is no suspense who the killer is, it's a straight battle for survival.

The Rick Wakeman soundtrack is superb, Tom Savini's gore effects do not disappoint and this…

• Paul Derrick

★★★½ Rewatched by Paul Derrick 08 Jan, 2016

The Burning is nearly identical in plot and storyline to Friday the 13th. Here the bad guy is a burn victim as a result of a prank gone awry and years later he takes vengeance on unsuspecting campers in gruesome fashion. While the movie is pretty slow and the gore fest doesn't really start until an hour in it's never boring. Here's where the film is different from Friday the 13th and many others: The teens aren't merely disposable pricks…

• CJames

★★★½ Added by CJames

One of the best 80s slashers most known for the number of big names on the cast and crew as well as some outstanding Tom Savini gore.

• Brennan Klein

★★★½ Rewatched by Brennan Klein 20 Mar, 2015

A B-level classic slasher. Some really great moments (that raft kill, Jason Alexander with hair) but a meandering plot that leaves waaaay too many people alive.

• Jeff M

★★★½ Watched by Jeff M 04 Jan, 2016

Can't believe I had never even heard of this film until recently. A good little summer camp slasher from the Weinsteins, with some truly head-turning cast members. Don't look up who shows up in it. Just let it surprise you.

• Jasmine Martinez

★★★½ Watched by Jasmine Martinez 26 Dec, 2015

Nice slasher <3 Great effects and kills.

• SpringwdSlasher

★★★★★ Added by SpringwdSlasher

The Burning is simply one of the best non-franchise slasher flicks, and if it weren't for Nightmare on Elm Street, it would be my favorite slasher. I don't know why Cropsy didn't become an icon, but he's an icon in my heart. Great gore and special effects, a great theme tune, and hell, even some good performances and dialogue. An absolute treasure of the 80s slasher craze.

• bluedionysus

★★★★½ Added by bluedionysus

A superior FRIDAY THE 13TH clone that doesn't switch locations from summer camp, but stays long enough to see the kids arrive. Like the former movie, there are affable, down-to-earth characters we don't want to see get chopped up; and director Tony Maylam, similarly (i.e. realistically), depicts the activities of and relationships within such an environment. Our killer, the burned Cropsy, remains in the shadows for the most part, though there's no doubt as to who's mercilessly slaughtering these children.…

• Bubz

★★★★ Watched by Bubz 02 Nov, 2015

Super fun 80's slasher. Cheesy in parts but has a great atmosphere and good effects. What raises it above the level of a Friday The 13th for example is that the kids and the teachers of the summer camp are genuinely fun to spend time with.

• Griffin Laking

★★ Watched by Griffin Laking 03 Oct, 2015

Other than Tom Savini's excellent effects, this movie is super basic and has no sense of pacing whatsoever.