• Joachim Andersson

★★★½ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 26 Apr, 2015

Sure, The Burning is well and truly a basic slasher. It has all the ingredients of the genre and is completely predictable from the beginning to the end. If you aren't a fan of the genre it's nothing for you apart from the really bloody murders and the oddball score by Rick Wakeman. But if you are a fan you get exactly what you want. Blood and boobs. A lot of blood. And sometimes that's all you want and The Burning serves it up in a tasty package.

• Jason M

★★★½ Watched by Jason M 26 Apr, 2015

Two films the same year where working off the Legend of Cropsy, one of them went on to become a genre classic, one not so much, even though it's a great flick.

As the story goes someone working on Tony Maylam's The Burning was dating someone who was working on Joe Giannone's Madman. Told them that they where both shooting slashers based on the same legacy, so Madman changed its content and The Burning stuck with its Cropsy story. Possibly…

• Fred Anderson

★★★ Rewatched by Fred Anderson 26 Apr, 2015

Nice effects, decent acting and a final nerd instead of a final girl. That's fun alright, BUT motherfucking FUCK what a looooong time it takes to start moving.

• Wilco

★★★ Watched by Wilco 05 Apr, 2015

Vista por tener a Jack Sholder como montador, que creo que hace un trabajo muy fino aquí, incluso maquillando algunas cosas que no funcionan bien (todo el inicio me pareció muy torpe, del enfermero charlatán a la escena del asesinato de la prostituta). En adelante mejora bastante y lo cierto es que la brutalidad de algunos momentos me dejó de piedra. Sobre todo porque la muerte de niños, no ya adolescentes con picores (que también), sigue siendo un tabú de…

• Harry Fuertes

★★★ Watched by Harry Fuertes 10 Apr, 2015

Gloriously executed slasher with a hollow finale. Does not quite satisfy like great horror should but the sheer craft of it makes The Burning worth a watch. Recommended.

• Ross Birks

★★★½ Watched by Ross Birks 03 Apr, 2015

A relatively by-the-numbers example of 80s slasher filmmaking but still extremely satisfying. It's even more interesting being that it's the first real Miramax production - they've come a long way since 1981 - and even here you can feel the Weinstein's passion for crowd pleasing cinema.

The Burning is extremely entertaining even though it hardly strays from the template set by films like Friday the 13th. I dig Cropsey as a boogeyman and enjoyed the cast of then-fresh faces (I…

• Kongald

★★½ Watched by Kongald 02 Apr, 2015

Jason Alexander is cool as fuck!

• robthefilmgeek

★★★ Watched by robthefilmgeek 26 Mar, 2015

I've been wanting to see The Burning for a long time but the stars never aligned, but with me finally getting to see it I've got to say I really liked it.

• Brendan Taylor

★★★ Rewatched by Brendan Taylor 24 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I'll always have fond memories of this slasher from the golden age of horror movies. Remembering being terrified watching the raft massacre scene, but not wanting to take my eyes off the screen for a minute. The murder set-pieces, done by Tom Savini, are the only things worth mentioning about this film, produced and written by the Weinstein brothers, before they were anything.

The cinematography and editing sink the film massively. There are strange zoom-ins throughout the movie, and bizarre…

• Hannah Lynch

★★★½ Watched by Hannah Lynch 14 Mar, 2015

This camp-side chiller stands out as a dark mark on a legacy of whitewashed slashers through blatant originality with a now cliched concept. Unlike its counterparts which rely on supernatural elements to establish scares and sequels, this piece sacrifices a multiple-film run to frighten viewers through a realistic concept. A likable cast of characters both mirror the audience's younger selves, and ask for their sympathy, allowing for more thrilling anticipation surrounding their demise.

• Kevin Bechaz

★★★½ Watched by Kevin Bechaz 14 Mar, 2015 2

Despite being overshadowed by the more popular “Friday the 13th”, this relatively similar summer themed slasher benefits from a most immersive atmosphere and a cast of likeable and entertaining characters. Striking photography in addition to an eerie music score set the mood from the get go. Special effects are an obviously draw-card for fans which hold up well despite the film's age. Viewers will have fun spotting the many young faces of the then up and coming actors; most noticeably Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter.

• King Kongo

★★½ Added by King Kongo

Teenage boobs, blood, lots of 80's Adidas sneakers and a 2 second quotation of 'Psycho'... enough to create a simple shocker without any higher meaning. But so what? Scissor man will cut you OFF! Muhahahahahaa!!!