• Locke

★★★★ Rewatched by Locke 28 Jun, 2015 10

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Cinema Cult are not a label I’ve ever talked about before and I also don’t really understand how they work either. Scream Factory have to region lock their releases due to rights issues yet somehow Cinema Cult can repackage (very lovely, I must say) their releases and release them to Australia and in turn every other Region B country..? Oh well, rights issues be damned, I’ve been itching to get this slasher classic on BD and I’m so happy to…

• sandrocorvetto

★★★½ Watched by sandrocorvetto 21 Jun, 2015 1

I've heard this is considered one of the best slashers ever made, and is not hard to see why. Sure the dialogue has some issues, and the acting feels uneven, going from good to bad depending on the actor.

But the pace is really good. The movie takes its time, fleshing out the characters, who despite not being extremely deep are quite likable, and once everything is set up, then the killing starts and is brutal, this with the help…

• Antonio Quintero

★★★½ Rewatched by Antonio Quintero 16 Jun, 2015

SAW IT AT TERROR TUESDAY GOES TO CAMP

The print that I saw was an unrated and uncut version of the movie from the UK.

This is one of the best summer camp horror movies. It has great make up effects from Tom Savini. I also love the cinematography in this movie, such as the shot of the killer raising the gardening scissors to kill the campers.
    The movie takes its time to setup the story. Everyone in the movie…

• Peter Flynn

Watched by Peter Flynn 17 Jun, 2015 1

When I saw this for the first time on cable in the 1990s I lumped it in with the first wave of horror spoofs, al a STUDENT BODIES (1981). Seeing it now, uncut on the big screen, I'm forced to completely reevaluate it. Well drawn characters, interesting and creative camera movements, and a wonderful score; all poured into the already well established archetype of the slasher film. I can see now why folks rate this so highly, rightly so.

• Chris

Rewatched by Chris 16 Jun, 2015

First time in 35mm. Second only to HALLOWEEN in photography. While plenty of horror is set in forests, few films take full advantage of the photogenic nature of nature. THE BURNING is gorgeous. Water, low light in the deep woods and at dusk / dawn. Atmosphere that less competently shot films lack is the result.

And George Costanza wants to get you some spermicide.

• Jacob Knight

★★★★ Rewatched by Jacob Knight 17 Jun, 2015

Fuck Crystal Lake. [35mm]

• SmokingPizza

★★★½ Added by SmokingPizza

"Oh, my God, we’re having a fire. Sale. Oh, the burning! It burns me! Evacuate all the schoolchildren! This isn’t a fever! Can’t even see where the knob is! And scene."

• Noraii

★★★½ Watched by Noraii 08 Jun, 2015

Just recently I finally got to see The Burning, a 1981 slasher flick. It begins with a silly prank that quickly turns fatal when a man gets caught on fire; luckily he survives but is severely burned and disfigured. Five years later, he returns to get pay back, but honestly never really does.
    Mostly half of this film is just setup for the other half, but the setup still interested me, It felt like Sleepaway Camp in a sense.
    Throughout…

• JesseSP

★★½ Watched by JesseSP 12 May, 2015

Features some above-average camera work, and it's fun to see Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens and Holly Hunter in their debuts, but there's a 40-minute stretch that's deadly dull. Also, why does everybody stand up for the creepy peeping tom kid?

• nspirn

★★★½ Watched by nspirn 09 May, 2015

This 80s slasher film flew under the radar for me until this year, what a gem. The Burning takes what is now a cliché, 1981 summer camp slasher, and easily becomes one of the more inspired pictures in the genre. It is ugly, low budget and really gets under your skin, in a good way. I'm a little desensitized to 'Jump Scares' and this movie managed to get me once towards the end.

• Grind_house

★★★½ Added by Grind_house

Good fun.
    Featuring Tom Savini's inventive horror effects, lots of boobs, and a glimpse of George Costanza's bare buttocks.
    How could you go wrong.

• MovieGenius

★★½ Watched by MovieGenius 01 May, 2015

In recent years baseball fans, scouts, and stats nerds have elevated the concept of WAR (wins above replacement), which in turn has made aficionados more aware of replacement-level players, especially those who are most obviously overpaid or overpraised. But of course even the most hopelessly mediocre, replacement-level player is capable of making a nice play in the field and producing runs in a given situation.

THE BURNING so purely embodies basic slasher conventions that it's impossible to hold it up…