• Josh Chetney

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Chetney 24 Oct, 2016

A great 80's slasher flick with some great gore effects by the great Tom Savini.
    In my opinion it's better than the film it is influenced from, Friday the 13th.
    This movie has some great kills and I actually liked some of the characters.
    If you enjoy a good 80's slasher film, check this one out!

• PatrickRipoll

★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

Features a scene I've never seen in a slasher where, once discovering they're being stalked by a homicidal maniac, all the kids have a collective meltdown where they can't stop crying. At some point in all these slasher movies you have to pick the character you'd be in that situation, and yeah, that'd be me. I'd just fucking lose it.

Little more stylish, little more leering, little more gory, little more likeable than you expect. Lot of good vibrations. Jason Alexander is wonderful. B

• maskull

★★★★ Rewatched by maskull 23 Oct, 2016

My 2016 October Horror List (aka Why I'm Extremely Pale in October)
    Movie #76

The best thing about this movie is the gore...and the look of the killer....and the killer's backstory....and the cute ladies....and the camp setting....and that raft scene...wow, pretty great movie huh?

• Evan Purchell

★★★★ Rewatched by Evan Purchell 22 Oct, 2016

Never really picked up on just how mean-spirited this film is. It's got the same basic plot as Madman, also released the same year, but, while that film is a small-budget regional oddity, this one is a slick, ultra-gory (it makes Friday the 13th look quaint) Hollywood affair with an (underrated) Rick Wakeman score.

It's not as weird or interesting as Sleepaway Camp or as iconic as Friday the 13th, but this film has a lot going for it. One of the better films from the first wave of the slasher boom.

• Brendan Taylor

★★★½ Rewatched by Brendan Taylor 22 Oct, 2016

Cropsy probably doesn't get enough credit these days for being an iconic slasher villain. His look is fantastic - the giallo all-black with fedora is a cool touch - I love that shot of him in silhouette looking up from the bottom of the stairs at the hooker, and his eventual reveal showcases some great make-up (though Lou David's nostrils do a lot of the heavy lifting.) When he's revealed at the end with the flamethrower (?), it's quite badass.…

• Robin Solsjö Höglund

★★★★ Rewatched by Robin Solsjö Höglund 23 Oct, 2016

I just finished watching this classic and quite amazing slasher film again, and my sister said "What are you watching, Pokémon 2000?". Because sure enough, Pokémon 2000 ripped off the theme song for The Burning! It also stars the young trio of Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens and Holly Hunter. And I love the Swedish title for the movie, which is Brännmärkt (Branded)!

• Kenn Gilmartin

★★★½ Watched by Kenn Gilmartin 21 Oct, 2016

Pretty good slasher. Great gore and quality acting. The scene where they found the kids on the raft was great!

• Cody Cook

★★★★ Added by Cody Cook 1

"Don't move, you're DEAD!" This film is sooo good! The Burning is one of the best in the slasher genre and still stands up today. With it's high body count, on screen gore effects (by Tom Savini) and likable cast this film flys past most of the other slashers that came out in the 80's. If you've never seen The Burning, but enjoy the Friday series, do yourself a favor and watch it!

• CraigLumley

★★★ Watched by CraigLumley 19 Oct, 2016

Ugh PUMPKINtober....sorry hordes of adoring fans. We'll try to do better next time..

Anyway, this is a pretty standard slasher, but that's kind of what's appealing about it!

A nerd gets accidentally set one on fire by fellow campers, 10 years later wants to excise his demons by murdering others.

Good stuff overall, I thought having most of it take place in the woods was a lame idea as a lot of scenes started to look the…

• Billy Terry

★★½ Watched by Billy Terry 20 Oct, 2016

The boys at this summer camp are a bigger threat than the killer. Every last one of them is a complete sex pervert.

• Dion Wyn

★★★½ Watched by Dion Wyn 19 Oct, 2016

While admittedly The Burning isn't the most well-written horror movie of the period, it's definitely one that delivers great atmosphere and suspense. Even better for genre fans, it boasts the spectacular gore FX from master makeup artist Tom Savini. The FX in this film are highly bloody, especially during the infamous 'raft' scene. This, along with a spirited cast, nice wilderness locations, and a tension-filled electronic music score makes this film a pretty well done slasher flick.

Cast-wise the movie…

• Frankco Lamerikx

★★★★ Watched by Frankco Lamerikx 20 Oct, 2016

Rewatching this now that the impeccable Blu-Ray edition from Arrow has been released, this still stands as one of the top slashers from the golden era of that particular subgenre. I was surprised again how long it takes, after the initial scenes of the burning of Cropsy, before things start to get violent. But when they do, they do so in a big way, and Tom Savini's effects are a spectacle to behold. The famous canoe attack is a marvel…