• jkun88

★★★ Watched by jkun88 23 Jun, 2016

20 Words or Less Recommendation/Review: It's got great kills at least. I guess I expected something a little more fun and trashy? Okay I suppose.

• Felix Hubble

★★★½ Watched by Felix Hubble 26 Jun, 2016

Slammer/banger of a demented '80s summer camp movie (pr. much first and foremost) come slasher with Jason Alexander, Tom Savini FX and some absolutely bizarre technical credits given what these people went on to do. The Burning is probably responsible for the creation of Miramax/The Weinstein Company, which is absolutely absurd.

• Elijah Fox

★★★ Watched by Elijah Fox 26 Jun, 2016

The burning is an often overlooked and certainly underrated slasher film, it feels very familiar, very much in the same spirit as Friday the 13th telling the story of a group of teens at a camp. The difference is that director Tony Maylam delivers some solid scares, and the cast is actually surprisingly strong. These characters feel more fleshed out and believable then your typical slasher movie would allow, the makeup effects are first rate thanks to the amazing Tom…

• M-M-Max-Headroom

Added by M-M-Max-Headroom

Watched for Scavenger Hunt #15 June 2016
    Task # 22: A film about a serial killer that uses something other than a knife

This movie is the paragon of its kind-- the pure quintessence of the summer camp killer movies. You would think that would be Friday the 13th-- but it isn't. It is this movie. You wouldn't have to watch another summer camp killer movie after this, because this one sums up the entire subgenre. This is it.

• Keeker

★★★ Rewatched by Keeker 21 Jun, 2016

The biggest surprise in this film? Logging onto Letterboxd and finding out I'd already seen it!

• Antonin

★★★½ Watched by Antonin 11 Jun, 2016

Film #7 of the Scavenger Hunt 15
    Task # 22: A film about a serial killer that uses something other than a knife

Why... did I like this so much? I thought it'd be a rip-off of Friday the 13th (coming one year after) but it felt completely different. It was really effective for what it was, which is a 80's slasher. The editing was atrocious at times, but it's easy to forget it.

I'm surprised. I've found a new 80's favorite.

• Lee McCoy

★★★★ Rewatched by Lee McCoy 08 Jun, 2016 2

The Burning is what everyone hopes all 80s slashers will be. I boasted buckets of blood, extremely realistic and inventive kills (by the great Tom Savini), and a formidable killer. It doesn't reach the heights of the icons, but it comes damn close.

• Hussein Khoder

Added by Hussein Khoder

One of the best slashers, if you havent seen it do yourself a favour

• Nick Angarola

★★ Watched by Nick Angarola 09 Jun, 2016

C-
    Pretty lame. The raft kill was the best in the film. If you want to see Jason Alexander with hair and sims pretty good tom savini make up effects. I guess watch it.

• Teenagecaveman

★★★ Watched by Teenagecaveman 04 Jun, 2016

Really nails the camp experience....aside from all the mass murders.

• Corban

★★½ Watched by Corban 28 May, 2016

Not the worst slasher film I've seen. Not bad on a low budget. Not good either.

• SpringwdSlasher

★★★★★ Rewatched by SpringwdSlasher 25 May, 2016

"Don't look; he'll see you. Don't breathe; he'll hear you. Don't move; you're dead!"

The Burning is one of the all time greatest slasher movies, maybe one of the best horror films in general, and one of the most underrated horror films out there. From the first time I watched it last year, it became an instant favorite. It has so much that puts it a cut (pun intended) above the other slasher movies of the era.

The Burning is…