• Valdimar Hauksson

★★★½ Watched by Valdimar Hauksson 28 Jan, 2015

The Burning is a slasher film with very similar premise and story as Friday the 13th which was released a year earlier. It has not achieved the same level of recognition as Friday the 13th, which is rather unfortunate because I like The Burning just as much.

Some interesting notes:

The Burning is the feature film debut of Jason Alexander (who would later go on to play George Costanza in Seinfeld) and he steals every scene he is in. This…

• Rakestraw

★★★½ Watched by Rakestraw 24 Jan, 2015

Adam's Movie Challenge: Stage 2-1 Complete

I knew Jason Alexander was in this, but Ned Eisenberg? Fisher Stevens? Holly Hunter? (I actually don't remember seeing her)

Boy, this one takes its good old time getting started with endless prattle and chatter and summer camp shenanigans (I actually just wanted to stop and watch Wet Hot American Summer instead).

"And what about Glazer!"

The effects are something to behold though. When this film finally gets to the gore, it delivers. It's…

• Gian Tabagon

★★★★ Added by Gian Tabagon

I feel like it never got the widespread recognition it deserves. One of my favorite slasher films.

• Sexyrajko

★★½ Added by Sexyrajko

A kako da nastavimo Slashermaniju bez ovog dela.

Burning je zapravo prica...Ma zamislite samo da se Dzejson nije udavio nego izgoreo, eto to je otprilike to. Lik koji je izgoreo zbog sale koja je lose prosla puko je s mozgom(logicno) i vratio se u taj kamp da se osveti, tako sto ce poklati sve jebeno... Ubica je nekako i strasniji s njegovom sprzenom facom koja deluje nekako groteskno i unezvereno nego Dzejson koji podseca na cudoviste.

Preporuka za film jer je i ovde Tom Savini radio efekte odma posle Petka 13-og, manje vise to bi bilo to, zabavite se fino i sanjajte Kropsija!

• Cliff

★★★½ Added by Cliff

If you're going to rip off Friday the 13th, you might as well do a good job of it, and The Burning does, despite taking its time getting to the killings. A very basic campsite slasher is enlivened by superb gore from Tom Savini and some nice music cues from Rick Wakeman.

• Michael

★★ Watched by Michael 29 Aug, 2013

A routine slasher film structure with a few uncommon elements: the rafting adventure, and the substantial daylight activity among them. Shooting during daylight offered opportunities for some unusual and occasionally striking lighting. Particularly effective is the last image of the villain. Notable as the first Weinstein/Miramax film, and for the Rick Wakeman score and early Holly Hunter and Jason Alexander roles.

• David Koenig

★★★ Added by David Koenig

Not as good as people tend to say but a well made slasher... (own on DVD)

• Andy Lunn

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Lunn 15 Dec, 2014 2

I love a good slasher, but somehow I'd got to 38 years of age without ever seeing 'The Burning'

What a mistake that was. The Burning is a very well made, very gory, classic of the slasher genre. The raft massacre sequence alone is worthy of five stars, it's so good. It's rare that I watch a movie (particularly an 80's movie) with my jaw hanging down in amazement; but this really was something special.

Forgive the pun, but this was a shear delight.

• Sc8lo

★★½ Rewatched by Sc8lo 20 Nov, 2014

Has all the basics of the Slasher movie. Try watch the uncut version to make it worthwhile.

• Buboven

★★★★ Watched by Buboven 11 Dec, 2014

Why isn't this the classic 80's slasher. Much better than the original F13th and like Bay of Blood, it seems overlooked compared to the former.

• dave

★★★½ Watched by dave 10 Dec, 2014

This is one entertaining summer camp slasher flick. I mean it has been done so many times before, the scorned loser comes back to take revenge on a bunch of horny teenagers. This was no different than that really. But for some reason i had fun while watching. The gore and effects arent great, but its an early 80s horror flick, not so surprising. I really enjoyed seeing a very young jason alexander, seeing him so full of life, optimism and hair, it was great.

• Ben Lane

★★★½ Watched by Ben Lane 05 Dec, 2014

Despite feeling a bit too much like 'Friday the 13th' meets 'A Nightmare on Elm Street,' 'The Burning' is a cheap and effective little slasher that lays on the thrills and creates a finely scary "campfire killer" tone.