★★★ Watched by YI JIAN 08 Oct, 2015 2

I hate fake jump scares. Every time a rattling noise turned out to be a cat or a shadow turned out to be a sneaky friend my blood pressure shoots up. It honestly is the laziest form of writing in the horror genre, the false suspense contributes nothing, removes nothing, and is nothing. I can never understand what goes on inside the heads of these writers--

"At this moment, a fucking rat jumps out of the drawer! That will show…

• Roebucan

★★★ Watched by Roebucan 01 Oct, 2015

An interesting horror film that has some interesting elements, and a lot of young george costanza...but much like Costanza it doesn't manage to quite make it to fourth base.

• Derenzo

★★★★ Added by Derenzo

One one the great early 80's slashers with some awesome Savini gore.

• Rackve

★★★½ Watched by Rackve 30 Sep, 2015

#22 Cinema Horrorama

Quien diría que uno de los grandes mafiosos de Hollywood empezaría con una película de este tipo.

La película sabe manejar muy bien el ambiente de tensión sobre el asesino, vemos el inicio de este señor loco, pero a mi me falto ver los maltratos que recibían lo chavos para hacerle la broma. Como buen slasher pues hay escenas de sexo, muchos senos y chavitos pasándola bien en el campamento.
    El ambiente que genera es mucho mejor…

• Jared Cowan

★★½ Watched by Jared Cowan 30 Sep, 2015 2

An obvious attempt to cash in on FRIDAY THE13TH hysteria. What started out as an interesting take on the overnight camp sub-genre by incoporating the urban legend of Cropsey, the film completely falls apart towards the end because of continuity problems and bizarre editing choices.

On a side note, this film was written by Harvey and Bob Weinstein and produced by early Miramax. Nice to see Mark Ratner from FAST TIMES one year earlier. You might also be surprised when you see a young Jason Alexander.

• Metin Seven

★★ Added by Metin Seven

I remember my best friend at school telling me about this movie, many summers ago. So, decades after that, I decided to finally watch The Burning. I prepared to dive into 1980s campiness, and nearly drowned in it. Compared to The Burning I'd call Friday the 13th an A grade film.

The first half of The Burning made me laugh frequently at the third-rate acting, 1980s hairdos and all the amateuristically executed summer camp slasher cliches. But in the second…

• Aaron King

★★★ Watched by Aaron King 05 Sep, 2015 1

Basically Friday the 13th but a burn victim.

• Eli Hayes

★★★½ Watched by Eli Hayes 05 Sep, 2015 2

Hoop-Tober 2.0, Film 3 of 31:

like Sleepaway Camp, minus the gendersploitation

• HP_Lovecat

★★½ Watched by HP_Lovecat 04 Sep, 2015

Basically Friday the 13th, which was basically Halloween.

Good job, 80s slashers.

Funny that Harvey Weinstein wrote this. Good thing he stuck to producing!

• Jamestuddsworth

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jamestuddsworth 03 Sep, 2015

Better than Friday The 13th in every way.

• Alex Vlad

★★★★ Watched by Alex Vlad 31 Aug, 2015 4

So much better than Friday The 13th.

• morayshir

★★★ Watched by morayshir 30 Aug, 2015

La sombra de los slasher desde finales de los 70 en adelante es alargadísima, y está llena de auténtica bazofia. Este, por suerte no es el caso. Bastante digna y relativa y desmerecidamente desconocida, esta The Burning está llena de buenos momentos, una fotografía de lo más decente y posiblemente una de las primeras apariciones de Holly Hunter (pocos actores de aquella generación no han empezado con una peli de terror... Johnny Depp, Kevin Bacon, Naomi Watts... la lista es larguísima).
    Como curiosidad, es la primera peli que produjo la famosa Miramax, ex compañía de los Weinstein.