• wildestpenfield

★★ Watched by wildestpenfield 25 Feb, 2015

Phenomenally unambitious slasher film. Better production values than usual (including marginally more competent acting, though it's weirdly hard to tell who are meant to be camp counsellors vs counsellees... especially since apparently there's no such thing as a "young Jason Alexander" given he already looks 40 at age 22), but absolutely no personality. There are lots of options that might be a bit less competent, but are distinctly more memorable.

• Hollie Horror

★★★★★ Rewatched by Hollie Horror 22 Feb, 2015 4

A mutual love for The Burning helped ignite the relationship that resulted in the marriage between Richard and I.

For that biased reason alone, this movie deserves every star and heart I'm able to offer it.

• Fish

★★★½ Watched by Fish 07 Feb, 2015

An incredibly violent, demented and bloody a-typical summer camp slasher. And one that is camp, startling and completely ridiculous. 'The Burning' is a film I have been saving for a very long time. One of the last great slashers from the golden age, that I hadn't seen.

With a bunch of irritating teens, and nauseating camp councillors as fodder for a disfigured, angry mad man, you know The Burning is going to be carnage. This is backed up with some…

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Watched by Jason Hernandez 03 Jul, 2014

The kids in The Burning REALLY want to be in a summer camp sex comedy, but no such luck for these dorks. They're in a slasher movie instead. That's what happens when you go to a camp where the caretaker disappeared years ago after he got disfigured in a fire caused by a prank gone wrong. Obviously, he now lurks the woods with a pair of garden shears and a mind for revenge against the world. Makes sense to me.…

• Valdimar Hauksson

★★★½ Watched by Valdimar Hauksson 28 Jan, 2015

The Burning is a slasher film with very similar premise and story as Friday the 13th which was released a year earlier. It has not achieved the same level of recognition as Friday the 13th, which is rather unfortunate because I like The Burning just as much.

Some interesting notes:

The Burning is the feature film debut of Jason Alexander (who would later go on to play George Costanza in Seinfeld) and he steals every scene he is in. This…

• Rakestraw

★★★½ Watched by Rakestraw 24 Jan, 2015

Adam's Movie Challenge: Stage 2-1 Complete

I knew Jason Alexander was in this, but Ned Eisenberg? Fisher Stevens? Holly Hunter? (I actually don't remember seeing her)

Boy, this one takes its good old time getting started with endless prattle and chatter and summer camp shenanigans (I actually just wanted to stop and watch Wet Hot American Summer instead).

"And what about Glazer!"

The effects are something to behold though. When this film finally gets to the gore, it delivers. It's…

• Gian Tabagon

★★★★ Added by Gian Tabagon

I feel like it never got the widespread recognition it deserves. One of my favorite slasher films.

• Sexyrajko

★★½ Added by Sexyrajko

A kako da nastavimo Slashermaniju bez ovog dela.

Burning je zapravo prica...Ma zamislite samo da se Dzejson nije udavio nego izgoreo, eto to je otprilike to. Lik koji je izgoreo zbog sale koja je lose prosla puko je s mozgom(logicno) i vratio se u taj kamp da se osveti, tako sto ce poklati sve jebeno... Ubica je nekako i strasniji s njegovom sprzenom facom koja deluje nekako groteskno i unezvereno nego Dzejson koji podseca na cudoviste.

Preporuka za film jer je i ovde Tom Savini radio efekte odma posle Petka 13-og, manje vise to bi bilo to, zabavite se fino i sanjajte Kropsija!

• Cliff

★★★½ Added by Cliff

If you're going to rip off Friday the 13th, you might as well do a good job of it, and The Burning does, despite taking its time getting to the killings. A very basic campsite slasher is enlivened by superb gore from Tom Savini and some nice music cues from Rick Wakeman.

• Michael

★★ Watched by Michael 29 Aug, 2013

A routine slasher film structure with a few uncommon elements: the rafting adventure, and the substantial daylight activity among them. Shooting during daylight offered opportunities for some unusual and occasionally striking lighting. Particularly effective is the last image of the villain. Notable as the first Weinstein/Miramax film, and for the Rick Wakeman score and early Holly Hunter and Jason Alexander roles.

• David Koenig

★★★ Added by David Koenig

Not as good as people tend to say but a well made slasher... (own on DVD)

• Andy Lunn

★★★★★ Watched by Andy Lunn 15 Dec, 2014 2

I love a good slasher, but somehow I'd got to 38 years of age without ever seeing 'The Burning'

What a mistake that was. The Burning is a very well made, very gory, classic of the slasher genre. The raft massacre sequence alone is worthy of five stars, it's so good. It's rare that I watch a movie (particularly an 80's movie) with my jaw hanging down in amazement; but this really was something special.

Forgive the pun, but this was a shear delight.