• JesseSP

★★½ Watched by JesseSP 12 May, 2015

Features some above-average camera work, and it's fun to see Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens and Holly Hunter in their debuts, but there's a 40-minute stretch that's deadly dull. Also, why does everybody stand up for the creepy peeping tom kid?

• nspirn

★★★½ Watched by nspirn 09 May, 2015

This 80s slasher film flew under the radar for me until this year, what a gem. The Burning takes what is now a cliché, 1981 summer camp slasher, and easily becomes one of the more inspired pictures in the genre. It is ugly, low budget and really gets under your skin, in a good way. I'm a little desensitized to 'Jump Scares' and this movie managed to get me once towards the end.

• Grind_house

★★★½ Added by Grind_house

Good fun.
    Featuring Tom Savini's inventive horror effects, lots of boobs, and a glimpse of George Costanza's bare buttocks.
    How could you go wrong.

• MovieGenius

★★½ Watched by MovieGenius 01 May, 2015

In recent years baseball fans, scouts, and stats nerds have elevated the concept of WAR (wins above replacement), which in turn has made aficionados more aware of replacement-level players, especially those who are most obviously overpaid or overpraised. But of course even the most hopelessly mediocre, replacement-level player is capable of making a nice play in the field and producing runs in a given situation.

THE BURNING so purely embodies basic slasher conventions that it's impossible to hold it up…

• Chris Ward

★★★½ Rewatched by Chris Ward 28 Apr, 2015

I like The Burning but I don't think it's the masterpiece that a lot of other people do. If Friday the 13th didn't exist then I might do but then again, if Friday the 13th didn't exist then neither would this probably.

• Joachim Andersson

★★★½ Rewatched by Joachim Andersson 26 Apr, 2015

Sure, The Burning is well and truly a basic slasher. It has all the ingredients of the genre and is completely predictable from the beginning to the end. If you aren't a fan of the genre it's nothing for you apart from the really bloody murders and the oddball score by Rick Wakeman. But if you are a fan you get exactly what you want. Blood and boobs. A lot of blood. And sometimes that's all you want and The Burning serves it up in a tasty package.

• Jason M

★★★½ Watched by Jason M 26 Apr, 2015

Two films the same year where working off the Legend of Cropsy, one of them went on to become a genre classic, one not so much, even though it's a great flick.

As the story goes someone working on Tony Maylam's The Burning was dating someone who was working on Joe Giannone's Madman. Told them that they where both shooting slashers based on the same legacy, so Madman changed its content and The Burning stuck with its Cropsy story. Possibly…

• Fred Anderson

★★★ Rewatched by Fred Anderson 26 Apr, 2015

Nice effects, decent acting and a final nerd instead of a final girl. That's fun alright, BUT motherfucking FUCK what a looooong time it takes to start moving.

• Wilco

★★★ Watched by Wilco 05 Apr, 2015

Vista por tener a Jack Sholder como montador, que creo que hace un trabajo muy fino aquí, incluso maquillando algunas cosas que no funcionan bien (todo el inicio me pareció muy torpe, del enfermero charlatán a la escena del asesinato de la prostituta). En adelante mejora bastante y lo cierto es que la brutalidad de algunos momentos me dejó de piedra. Sobre todo porque la muerte de niños, no ya adolescentes con picores (que también), sigue siendo un tabú de…

• Harry Fuertes

★★★ Watched by Harry Fuertes 10 Apr, 2015

Gloriously executed slasher with a hollow finale. Does not quite satisfy like great horror should but the sheer craft of it makes The Burning worth a watch. Recommended.

• Ross Birks

★★★½ Watched by Ross Birks 03 Apr, 2015

A relatively by-the-numbers example of 80s slasher filmmaking but still extremely satisfying. It's even more interesting being that it's the first real Miramax production - they've come a long way since 1981 - and even here you can feel the Weinstein's passion for crowd pleasing cinema.

The Burning is extremely entertaining even though it hardly strays from the template set by films like Friday the 13th. I dig Cropsey as a boogeyman and enjoyed the cast of then-fresh faces (I…

• Kongald

★★½ Watched by Kongald 02 Apr, 2015

Jason Alexander is cool as fuck!