• Kiko Vega

★★★★ Rewatched by Kiko Vega 21 Sep, 2014

Sleepway Camp llegó después y esto es más divertido que los Albóndigas y más cruel que Viernes 13
    Es la polla.

• Patrick Walker

Watched by Patrick Walker 18 Sep, 2014

Though still arguably even the best of the sub-sub-genre, this is nonetheless a not-very-good "camp slasher" film from 1981, and also one of the movies included in the infamous DPP list of 'video nasties' back in 1983. Happily it is redeemed by a couple of surprisingly super-violent and quite stylishly directed murder set pieces, a Rick Wakeman-written synth score, and a film debut from Seinfeld's Jason Alexander.

• Charles Johnson

★★★ Watched by Charles Johnson 17 Sep, 2014 3

Tonight is old-school slasher night, and a film that I've been looking forward to seeing for a long time.

About a year ago, I looked into the list of 'video nasties', a number of films that were banned or heavily cut in the UK due to their excessive violence, and while I never actually watched any at the time I tried my damnedest to find some good ol', ultraviolent clips. My favourite clip, and one that I've watched again and…

• Aaron

★★★ Added by Aaron 16

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Curtis

★★★ Watched by Curtis 13 Sep, 2014

Solid early slasher with a lot of recognizable faces. Goes for density of kills over quantity.

• No-Personality

★½ Watched by No-Personality 01 Oct, 2011

This comment was written in 2011:

Very well shot, the acting is mostly top notch, and there are 2 excellent death scenes. One of which is pic'd here, neither of which I count as being the unbelievably overrated raft sequence. Apart from that- the music score isn't anything special, the story is shit, the characters have no character (which leaves all the charisma on the actors and most of them have none), there's enough pointless sleaze to fill the grand…

• mook

★★★ Watched by mook 31 Aug, 2014

I'd never got around to watching this as I assumed it was just a rip-off of 'Friday the 13th'. Although there are many similarities it seems it was actually written before or at the same time as Sean S. Cunningham's classic and is based on a scary urban legend that became popular at American summer camps in the 1960's and 70's.

There's some good T&A and a fun musical score from Prog Rock icon Rick Wakeman. It also features a…

• Chris Hustwayte

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Hustwayte 29 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Patrick Pryor

★★★ Watched by Patrick Pryor 12 Aug, 2014

Above average slasher (written by the Weinstein Brothers!) with some nicely composed sequences -- loved those tracking shots through the forest and the silhouetted murderer in the boat. It also boldly replaces the final girl with a grody teen-boy peeper. Unlike other camp outings gone gory entries in the horror genre, I actually cared about these characters a little. They had no particular hand in creating the burn victim murderer and were just looking to have a fun time at…

• Jerry Downing

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jerry Downing 03 Aug, 2014

Such a great slasher flick from the early 80's. Tom Savini's makeup effects are amazing.

• COBRARocky

★★★★ Added by COBRARocky

The Burning is pretty original for a film about a tormented killer seeking revenge on kids at a summer camp.

It's better than any of the Friday the 13ths, and I say that as a fan of the F13 series. This is one of the very few slasher movies where I actually gave a shit about the victims. All the camp shenanigans leading up to the killings dont feel like just filler, they're actually fun to watch. Cropsy is an awesome villain and Jason Alexander (and his ass) are in it, plus Tom Savini when he was in his prime. The raft scene is legendary.

• David