• robthefilmgeek

★★★ Watched by robthefilmgeek 26 Mar, 2015

I've been wanting to see The Burning for a long time but the stars never aligned, but with me finally getting to see it I've got to say I really liked it.

• Brendan Taylor

★★★ Rewatched by Brendan Taylor 24 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I'll always have fond memories of this slasher from the golden age of horror movies. Remembering being terrified watching the raft massacre scene, but not wanting to take my eyes off the screen for a minute. The murder set-pieces, done by Tom Savini, are the only things worth mentioning about this film, produced and written by the Weinstein brothers, before they were anything.

The cinematography and editing sink the film massively. There are strange zoom-ins throughout the movie, and bizarre…

• Hannah Lynch

★★★½ Watched by Hannah Lynch 14 Mar, 2015

This camp-side chiller stands out as a dark mark on a legacy of whitewashed slashers through blatant originality with a now cliched concept. Unlike its counterparts which rely on supernatural elements to establish scares and sequels, this piece sacrifices a multiple-film run to frighten viewers through a realistic concept. A likable cast of characters both mirror the audience's younger selves, and ask for their sympathy, allowing for more thrilling anticipation surrounding their demise.

• Kevin Bechaz

★★★½ Watched by Kevin Bechaz 14 Mar, 2015 2

Despite being overshadowed by the more popular “Friday the 13th”, this relatively similar summer themed slasher benefits from a most immersive atmosphere and a cast of likeable and entertaining characters. Striking photography in addition to an eerie music score set the mood from the get go. Special effects are an obviously draw-card for fans which hold up well despite the film's age. Viewers will have fun spotting the many young faces of the then up and coming actors; most noticeably Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter.

• King Kongo

★★½ Added by King Kongo

Teenage boobs, blood, lots of 80's Adidas sneakers and a 2 second quotation of 'Psycho'... enough to create a simple shocker without any higher meaning. But so what? Scissor man will cut you OFF! Muhahahahahaa!!!

• John Pritchard

★★★ Watched by John Pritchard 11 Mar, 2015

Whoa- Jason Alexander had hair once!!

• Adam Grikepelis

Watched by Adam Grikepelis 09 Mar, 2015

I truly wish I'd seen The Burning when I was growing up, because seeing this now, I found it really truly awful and somewhat difficult to see what there is to like about it. Even early on in their career, this film has the Weinstein stamp all over it.

It goes without saying it's an obvious Friday the 13th cash-in, just based around a 'summer camp' instead (up there with films set in 'college dorms' for cringe inducing Americana, I…

• Trinity Martin

★★★½ Watched by Trinity Martin 07 Mar, 2015

Somehow this film escaped my attention until recently, and it was actually much better than I expected. Nothing ground-breaking here, but it's a solid entry in the late 70's - early 80's slasher genre. This movie felt like a mix of Friday the 13th and Halloween, only with more gore. The gore never felt gratuitous, though; I've seen much worse, and I actually wish those old Halloween and Friday the 13th films had the stones to show a little bit…

• Jeane Chisholm

Watched by Jeane Chisholm 07 Mar, 2015

A Vingança de Cropsy

• Michael Thompson

★★½ Watched by Michael Thompson 27 Feb, 2015

The raft scene was pretty great and I like that this film was made before the huge slasher boom because it isn't bogged down by all the classic tropes and rules. One thing I found particularly interesting was that we knew who the killer was right from the beginning. That said, it's a little too harshly '80s at points and most of the kills aren't really that exciting. It certainly isn't a scary film by any means. Just an interesting, insignificant little film that's worth the watch for a bit of fun.

• Michael Williams

★★½ Watched by Michael Williams 03 Mar, 2015

Watch as the most boring characters in horror film history are justly killed of one by one.

A 13th inspired slasher, gore-tastic horror, that has the boobs, the pools of throat-slicing blood warmly dripping from the screen and a blood thirsty serial killer. The only problem with the film is its annoyingly boring characters and rather wasted death scenes that has a huge empathise on the blood and not the suspense nor guts. When someone says to me 80's horror…

• DKAudio

★★★½ Rewatched by DKAudio 21 May, 2011

Classic horror that takes place at a summer youth camp. A prank gone wrong motivates the victim to seek revenge.

This is one of those horrors that everyone needs to see (like Sleepaway Camp). Totally enjoyable 80's horror. Plus you get to see 23 year old Costanza!