• Robbie Newman

★★★★½ Watched by Robbie Newman 03 May, 2013

(originally written in early 2014)

The Cabin in the Woods is written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, a frequent Whedon collaborator. While I enjoy some of Whedon’s work, I think writing is his real strength, directing less so. It’s refreshing to see a Whedon-related project that he doesn’t control entirely. And it shows. Goddard takes the helm, in his directorial debut, and does an excellent job.

The Cabin in the Woods is a deconstruction of the horror genre, playing…

• mitchkz

★★★★½ Watched by mitchkz 30 Apr, 2016

Absolutely brilliant homage to and deconstruction of a classic horror film trope. Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard keep things moving as we experience a mash-up of two different settings with separate casts and wonder how they're related, what will happen, and why it's happening in the first place. Lots of Easter eggs for horror movie fans but a novice can watch without any trouble at all.

• drpritch

★★ Watched by drpritch 02 Apr, 2016

I still don't like horror. Even Joss Whedon horror.

• Paul Griffin

★★★★½ Added by Paul Griffin

The new Hallowe'en tradition. Will watch it every year 'til I die.

• heyannakate

★★★★½ Added by heyannakate

The perfect horror comedy for everyone: whether you're a horror buff who appreciates a good twist on horror conventions, or a newbie looking for a good access-point in the genre, this movie will have you splitting your sides even as you jump, scream, and say 'what the hell?'

• Thomas Welch III

★★★★★ Watched by Thomas Welch III 01 Apr, 2016

Man I love this movie, I don't know how I just recently got around to seeing it. Plays with all sorts of horror cliches and tropes and is just a fun watch. This is a film that will definitely hold up to multiple viewings!

• Mark James Atienza

★★★★ Watched by Mark James Atienza 10 May, 2012

"The Cabin in the Woods" is truly a rare film. After watching it, I just can't help thinking about how smart it really was. It's a marriage of two unlikely genres that unexpectedly worked harmoniously. There's more I would like to share but I'm gonna shut my mouth now. Don't really wanna spoil anything. But it's more than what you think it was.

• Josh Needle

★★★★ Rewatched by Josh Needle 27 Apr, 2016

I've never been the asshole to say "oh you just didn't get it" to people who don't like what I like...but if you didn't like Cabin in the Woods, I can't think of any other reason why aside from...well, you just didn't get it!

In all seriousness though, this movie is fantastic. Though technically it isn't truly a "horror" movie, it really is one of the smartest horror movies, if not THE smartest horror movie of this generation. So close to perfect, I love it so much!

• Jackson Ross

★★★★½ Watched by Jackson Ross 18 Apr, 2016

Like throwing all of horror's preconceived notions and putting them in a blender, only to then feed the blended mess to a teenager with serious munchies, the camera placed perfectly in the teen's mouth so the audience can see the absolute chaos perfectly.

• BennyDurden

★½ Watched by BennyDurden 27 Apr, 2016

Cabin in the what?
    I'm a fan of the horror genre, not the splatter, gore and blood type, tho. The best horror movies are the ones with a creepy atmosphere. However, this movie isn't scary at all. Why? Because it is predictable, it doesn't build up any tension due to the weird shifting between the cabin and labour scenes and it simply fails to establish an authentic atmosphere. Despite all that, I have to admit that, in a way, this…

• Trevor Church

★★★★½ Rewatched by Trevor Church 26 Apr, 2016

I was afraid it might get stale after the 5th time.

Nah.

• Joshua Huffman

★★★★½ Rewatched by Joshua Huffman 26 Apr, 2016

The seamless transitions between true comedy and true horror is unparalleled.