• Dan Gaertner

★★★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 13 Nov, 2014

Spielberg's "The Color Purple" started its life as an acclaimed film, but now finds its legacy stuck in a sort of cinematic purgatory. Some of the crimes supposedly found within the film are that it's too pretty looking (?), anti-black male (?), too white (?), not true to the source (?) and too sentimental (sure). The crimes are intended to bludgeon Spielberg. I personally think the film is wonderful. I am blind to the crimes so often lobbed at the film.

• Daniblacksmoke
  • Daniel Escaners

Watched by Daniel Escaners 09 Nov, 2014

Me ha gustado, y bastante. Es una historia dura y muy emocional, y aunque en ocasiones recalca en exceso dicha tragedia (que, por otro lado, es normal hacerlo porque vaya tela), funciona bien gracias a que los personajes tienen mucha fuerza. Eso sí, yo le habría quitado por lo menos media hora a la película, y es que ya en el tramo final notas el cansancio de una historia que podría haber acortado alguna historia secundaria (algo que no le…

• Alex Repole

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Repole 20 Oct, 2014

Absolutely love films like these! Such class and integrity.

Steven Spielberg is a god.
    And Whoopi was a goddess in this film.

Completely forgot Oprah could act! What a surprise.

"There is one thing I want you to know; I love you and I am not dead"

• Glen Grunau

★★★★ Added by Glen Grunau

Oprah who?!!

• Brett Blumenkopf

★★★ Watched by Brett Blumenkopf 02 Sep, 2014

Some very nice performances and a handful of striking images are undercut by the worst of Spielberg's impulses as a director. The subject matter only occasionally receives the gravity it deserves, and the mawkish sentimentality feels unearned. It's not a bad movie, but Spielberg clearly hedges his bets when it comes to deciding on an appropriate tone (this is even more obvious with the knowledge of what he would make in the future).

• Lars Sieval

★★★½ Watched by Lars Sieval 26 Sep, 2014 1

Steven Spielberg: The Challenge.

At the end Danny Glover finally realised he was "too old for this shit". I can understand why this won the oscar for best picture. It's a great story, with some beautiful shots, great acting (Whoopi Goldberg was amazing and so was Oprah!), it has Danny Glover and a young Laurence Fishburne. So, what I didn't like about it? This one felt like a drag near the end because of the long running time. Usually I…

• Joe

★★ Watched by Joe 19 Sep, 2014

This movie is the equivalent of watching a child cry at a restaurant. Its loud and obnoxious. Obviously something is wrong but I'm in no position to do anything about it. I just want it to stop.

This may sound like a fickle complaint but it goes to a core problem with the movie. Spielberg is unsuccessful at making me care about these characters or their plight so when they scream it becomes annoying instead of tragic.

• loureviews

★★★★ Added by loureviews 2

The film version of Alice Walker's hugely emotive and influential 1983 novel (written largely as letters from the central character Celie to God) was a massive Oscar success, and rightly so.

In the role of the abused and awakened Celie, Whoopi Goldberg gave her best screen performance by miles. Not far behind her was Oprah Winfrey as Sofia, the fiery woman tamed by fate. Others in the cast fleshed out the characters Walker had introduced so clearly on the page…

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 04 Oct, 2009

Based on the great epistolary novel of the same name, The Color Purple is an emotive film adaptation that captures the essence and spirit of the source material flawlessly. While it's much lighter in its treatment of certain topics, it's quite compelling in its representation of the main characters and main plot events. It was well told, it had a beautiful cinematography, and the cast was stunning. Whoopi Goldberg was absolutely splendid in the role of her career, and she was joined by Danny Glover, Margaret Avery, and Oprah Winfrey, among others, who were also remarkable.

• Agnis

★★★½ Watched by Agnis 24 Aug, 2014

Slow and long but intense and interesting story. I don't think I've seen a Danny Glover movie to date where I actually enjoy his acting and it doesn't look fake.

• JOKain II

★★★½ Watched by JOKain II 21 Aug, 2014

Some seemingly tangential, yet still emotionally rewarding subplots, and a few melodramatic scenes, but it still has some wonderful humor and great payoffs at the end.