• Ocean

Watched by Ocean 28 Apr, 2016

cant believe a white guy made this

• Neil Alcock

★★★★★ Watched by Neil Alcock 27 Apr, 2016

Whoopi Goldberg is terrific in her first screen role as punchbag and doormat to a hardscrabble existence in early 20th century Georgia. Spielberg transforms the gobby New York stand-up into a shy, downtrodden housewife who just about keeps a slender grip on her pride in the director’s first “grown up” film, retaining his effortless visual storytelling tics and necessary sense of humour despite the bleak subject matter. The Colo(u)r Purple wrings joy from small kindnesses, lacing a potentially crushing experience with the sweet potential of hope, but despite all that I definitely did not cry.

(I definitely did)

• La Pantalla Invisible
  • Alan Jarvis

★★★ Watched by Alan Jarvis 20 Apr, 2016

Showing that if you were a black woman in the south in the first half of the last century some truly terrible things might happen to you. This has things to commend it, and even if Spielberg can find ounces of sentiment where there shouldn't be any, the story gets through and I think he should be commended for making it.

• Paul Griffin

★★★★ Added by Paul Griffin

Less-known (by me) 1980s Spielberg adaptation of a Pulizer Prize winning novel - the story of a young African American girl named Celie Harris - which covers the problems African American women faced during the early 1900s, including extreme poverty, racism, sexism, and straight up beatings from MEN. Whoopi Goldberg is actually pretty damn good in her first major role and was oscar nominated for this one. Danny Glover also was outstanding. Felt like a mix of Peter Weir's Witness…

• Sc8lo

★★★ Rewatched by Sc8lo 19 Nov, 2011

A good enough drama. Oprah is great. I just wouldn't watch it that often. Hard watch.

• Whitney

★★★½ Watched by Whitney 14 Apr, 2016

There were things I liked about this movie, but it was also so melodramatic, which is not my favorite genre. And I thought the character development was nice until the ending when it suddenly and abruptly changed without anything but a superficial explanation. I want to read the book now and see how it's handled there.

• Arielrocks5

★★★★½ Watched by Arielrocks5 13 Apr, 2016 49

Sorry this took so long to finally do, but I've been having some personal issues as of late that kept me from sitting down and finish this in one sitting on top of the fact that I felt really drained after the last four films I watched so I needed some time to refuel my writing mind before I tackled a movie like this.

It's weird that Spielberg is a director that can go from something as grand and out…

• grace barber-plentie

★★ Rewatched by grace barber-plentie 11 Apr, 2016

I understand why I hate this film so much more now I know that Steven Spielberg's favourite film is Gone With The Wind

• EvanstonDad

★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

Well zip-a-dee-doo-dah, I kept expecting Uncle Remus to come bounding out of the bushes while watching Steven Spielberg's screen adaptation of the Alice Walker novel.

In retrospect, Spielberg shouldn't have been let near this story with a ten-foot pole. His maudlin, well-intentioned approach to liberal message movies is completely at odds with Walker's spare, unsentimental storytelling. But, all in all, the results could have been much worse. Yes, Spielberg paints a painfully one-dimensional picture of poor blacks in the 1930s…

• Kevin Riegle

★★½ Watched by Kevin Riegle 04 Apr, 2016

#180 THE COLOR PURPLE - The first Spielberg movie I haven’t liked #DLMChallenge #366Movies #366Days

• agard