• Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

★★★★★ Added by Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

Favorite movie of all time!
    Haven't cried that much, to any other film!

• stevenedwards

★★★ Watched by stevenedwards 08 Aug, 2015

Well done and features some searing performances from Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah among others. I was not ready for some of the comedic tones that are sprinkled in at times throughout this normally bleak and dour film. There were some quite powerful moments (reading the letters the most among them) but it doesn't sustain itself for the two and a half hour running time.

• jasmineluck

★★★★ Watched by jasmineluck 30 Jul, 2015

"I loves me some Harpo, lord knows I do. But I'll kill him dead before I let him beat me", says Sofia (played by Oprah). If you haven't seen this film I'm sure that you've heard this famous quote. This Spielberg film was made in the 1980's, but was set in the early 1900's. This movie tells the story of Celie, fourteen-year-old black girl, and her younger sister Nettie living in Southern Georgia. Celie is separated from her sister and…

• Jussi Hulkkonen

★★½ Watched by Jussi Hulkkonen 28 Jul, 2015

While Spielberg's quaint sentimentalism drains the dramatic impact of the film's more harrowing depictions of post-emancipation life in the South, particularly evident in Glover's character who becomes more of a befuddled stern old man than a despicable abusive one as written, his empathetic strain imbues the film's depictions of female friendship with a warmth that serves the story's themes of strength in solidarity.

The depiction of the South is ultimately a touch too quaint and fondly golden hued, echoed in…

• Lukas Ridge

★★★ Watched by Lukas Ridge 20 Jul, 2015

This is Spielberg's Return of the King. It doesn't know how to fucking end.

• Steven Wolf

Added by Steven Wolf

Fantastic acting from the women. The men are racist caricatures. Mister is supposed to be abusive and terrifying presence in Celie's life, but he is often played for cheap laughs. Plenty of plot points could have been trimmed. Acting almost saves it.

• mmund2

★★★★ Added by mmund2

great story, great characters, great messages

• derpzerplin

★★★ Watched by derpzerplin 12 Jul, 2015

I can see how this was well-loved and praised when it was released, but some tonal irregularities kept me from loving it. It's clichéd to say it, but I probably should have read the book.

• Wilson

★★★ Rewatched by Wilson 10 Jul, 2015

The Colour Purple is an admirable film. It covers a long period with quiet skill, condensing Alice Walker's well-loved novel with an easy grace. The film is crafted around a fine lead performance by the never-better Whoopi Goldberg, with strong support from Danny Glover and Oprah Winfrey. It is beautifully shot, if a little soft-focused, by Allen Daviau, and Steven Spielberg restrains his natural inclination for grandness, replacing it with an intimate warmth. The Colour Purple works impressively when dissecting…

• Mickey Chiechi

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mickey Chiechi 04 Jul, 2015

CHRONOLOGICAL SPIELBERG-A-THON FILM #9:

This is a heartbreaking, painful, stomach turning film, but it's not without its joy, a brilliant, bursting color palette and a true myriad of visual gags. The tone is never taken for granted and even the silliest of gags never feels inappropriate.

Oprah Winfrey gives a hell of a performance, one of my favorites of all time. She's a perfect actor for Spielberg, broad and almost cartoonish, but real, powerful and intimate all at once. It's a shame they never worked together again.

There is also an impossibly cool Larry Fishburne milling around in the background.

• Avalanche

★★★½ Watched by Avalanche 04 Jul, 2015

This is one of those biographically structured films which I always seem to have a problem maintaining interest in, and this is no exception. Things happen, and are either resolved straight away or seemingly stay forgotten for most of the film. At times the film feels like it is agonisingly slow.

What it lacks in pace it makes up for in just about everything else. Spielberg's direction is at the top of its game in this film. Whoopi Goldburg gives…

• FilmGuy1997

★★★★★ Added by FilmGuy1997

This is a very sweet and touching film, with beautiful cinematography.