• pstead

★★★★ Rewatched by pstead 12 May, 2015

This is a class act. Similarities in tone to '10 years a slave', and a stunning lead performance. A great movie.

• KMOKLER

★★★★ Added by KMOKLER

Its going to be a while before I revisit this movie again but its still proof that Steven Spielberg is a God.

• AndresMtl

★★★½ Watched by AndresMtl 26 Apr, 2015

Film #10 in my revisiting of the Films of 1985

Spielberg had an uncanny ability to make films that feel timeless. Of all the '85 films watched to date, this is the only one that feels like it could have been made in the last decade. The story here is a fascinating look at gradations of female empowerment - from the beaten down to the successful to the newly awakened.

• David Howland

★★ Watched by David Howland 12 Apr, 2015

Spielberg can do unabashed sentiment better than most but not here. His 154 minute adaptation of Alice Walker's novel is a tedious exercise in earnest melodrama. The subject matter plus Spielberg is too worthy for its own good and what wants be an emotional roller coaster of a movie mostly fails to engage.

• Matt Fisher

★★★½ Watched by Matt Fisher 27 Apr, 2015 2

***Blind Spot Project: Film #16***

Man, I gotta tip my hat a couple times here; once for Whoopi for having real dramatic chops, once for Danny Glover for having real asshole chops and in a practically unfathomable display of generosity, I have to give Oprah Winfrey the slightest of nods for she truly owned her role. Kudos to Spielberg as well for not completely whitewashing the story or shying away from the lesbianism. His tendency to wallow in the saccharine…

• Jimmy Bobo

★★★★ Watched by Jimmy Bobo 24 Apr, 2015

The thin tightrope of tone that The Color Purple routinely walks sways more precarious than I suppose it would like sometimes but Spielberg's thoughtful compositions and Whoopi Goldberg's soulful performance make the whole all the richer.

• Justin Willis

★★ Watched by Justin Willis 11 Apr, 2015 2

Wow, Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey gave surprisingly great performances. The started in opposite places, one quiet while the other vocal, but they ended up almost switching personalities during the course of this movie's development. Those two characters were the best part of this movie, but the rest of the movie was very sub-par. Spielberg normally does a wonderful job directing, but this movie was tonally inconsistent and awkward. At times, it felt emotional and dark, then some comedy or…

• Cameron Wayne Johnson

★★★ Rewatched by Cameron Wayne Johnson 10 Apr, 2015

Wow, this is a very powerful and inspiring portrait on how anyone can do anything despite their race, even if they're a white Jew making a movie about black people. By 1985, all he was doing was sci-fi flicks and adventure thrillers, so, yeah, producer or not how in the world did he end up getting this gig? Steven Spielberg can direct anything he darn well pleases, although he was probably able to slip into this project amidst the chaotic…

• Reece Leonard

★★★★½ Added by Reece Leonard

Unabashedly sentimental and emotionally stirring, "The Color Purple" is a vital piece in the mosaic of American film, with winning direction from Spielberg, absolutely captivating performances from Winfrey and Goldberg and plenty of social commentary to boot.

• Dempson Juvenal

★★★★ Watched by Dempson Juvenal 03 Apr, 2015

wooooooow

• Lagaan

★★★ Watched by Lagaan 22 Mar, 2015

This film follows the life of Celie, a young black girl growing up in the early 1900's. The first time we see Celie, she is 14 - and pregnant - by her father. We stay with her for the next 30 years of her tough life.

Forgotten Spielberg Masterpiecev.Whoopi Goldberg performance was awesome.

• John Guerin

★★★½ Watched by John Guerin 15 Mar, 2015

Goldberg's performance is magnificent, a radiant guiding light through the films emotional prism, through its peaks and its valleys. I wept. [B]