• Michael Gannaway / Hucksta G

★★★½ Watched by Michael Gannaway / Hucksta G 27 Jan, 2015

As subtle as a sledgehammer to the face and often overly melodramatic, but still I found it to be a good watch.

• Shachar Gannot

★★★★½ Watched by Shachar Gannot 24 Jan, 2015

What a beautiful adaptation of the Alice Walker novel! I read the book over a year ago but, honestly, didn’t enjoy it half as much as I did the film. There’s just something about me and books that doesn’t click quite as well as me and films.

I cried a dozen times in the course of watching The Color Purple. The story, clearly a one of triumph, is able to convey so well the problems plaguing Celie and the other…

• Daniel Mumby

★★½ Added by Daniel Mumby

Throughout his career Steven Spielberg has proved that when it comes to popcorn thrills and light-hearted entertainment, there is almost no-one better on the planet. But when he turns his hand to more serious subject matter, he has a habit of pulling his punches for the sake of a sentimental cop-out, betraying an audience?s trust so that he can make us cry. That is the central problem with The Color Purple.

Spielberg does not seem like a natural choice for…

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★★★ Added by JoseIgnacioWert

Spielberg sintió la necesidad de mostrar que había un director “serio” detrás del rey del espectáculo, y se sirvió para ello de una novela de Alice Walker. El empeño se tradujo en una contundente obra maestra.

Criticada en su día por su tono poco realista, El color púrpura funciona perfectamente en clave de cuento de hadas, pese a lo tremendo de muchas de las cosas que se llegan a ver sobre la pantalla. Los sentimientos del espectador son puestos a…

• Nicole

★★★ Added by Nicole

A bit convoluted at times. It was a very powerful story about a woman growing up and finding herself through the strong relationships she develops over time. A fantastic performance by Whoopi.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 05 Dec, 2014

A very important, powerful film, wonderfully acted. Really a great piece of cinema.

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★½ Watched by Dan Gaertner 13 Nov, 2014

Spielberg's "The Color Purple" started its life as an acclaimed film, but now finds its legacy stuck in a sort of cinematic purgatory. Some of the crimes supposedly found within the film are that it's too pretty looking (?), anti-black male (?), too white (?), not true to the source (?) and too sentimental (sure). The crimes are intended to bludgeon Spielberg. I personally think the film is wonderful. I am blind to the crimes so often lobbed at the film.

• Daniblacksmoke
  • Daniel Escaners

★★★ Watched by Daniel Escaners 09 Nov, 2014

Me ha gustado, con sus peros. Es una historia dura y muy emocional, y aunque en ocasiones recalca en exceso dicha tragedia (que, por otro lado, es normal hacerlo porque vaya tela), funciona bien gracias a que los personajes tienen mucha fuerza. Eso sí, yo le habría quitado por lo menos media hora a la película, y es que ya en el tramo final notas el cansancio de una historia que podría haber acortado alguna historia secundaria (algo que no…

• Alex Repole

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex Repole 20 Oct, 2014

Absolutely love films like these! Such class and integrity.

Steven Spielberg is a god.
    And Whoopi was a goddess in this film.

Completely forgot Oprah could act! What a surprise.

"There is one thing I want you to know; I love you and I am not dead"

• Glen Grunau

★★★★ Added by Glen Grunau

Oprah who?!!

• Brett Blumenkopf

★★★ Watched by Brett Blumenkopf 02 Sep, 2014

Some very nice performances and a handful of striking images are undercut by the worst of Spielberg's impulses as a director. The subject matter only occasionally receives the gravity it deserves, and the mawkish sentimentality feels unearned. It's not a bad movie, but Spielberg clearly hedges his bets when it comes to deciding on an appropriate tone (this is even more obvious with the knowledge of what he would make in the future).