• Mash

★★★★ Watched by Mash 20 Nov, 2015

Not read the book but the last half hour seems to just squish a lot of story in too quickly. One too many things get resolved one after the other but overall I liked this a lot. Fundamentally about the power of female friendships. Maybe we need more movies about stuff like that.

• Warriors

★★★★ Added by Warriors

Although this picture was very controversial it didn't have my attention when i was 19 years old!
    Good movie though with nice filming locations and good actors - sometimes raw scenes, but it happened!

• Gabriel Camillozzi

★★★½ Added by Gabriel Camillozzi

The Color Purple é um drama de época que ficou marcado como um clássico do cinema, produzido por Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Quincy Jones e Frank Marshall. Baseado no romance de Alice Walker, Menno Meyjes adaptou para o cinema esse que era a oitava direção de Steven Spielberg, estrelado por Danny Glover e Whoopi Goldberg com participações de Oprah Winfrey e Margaret Avery. O filme teve onze indicações ao Óscars, quatro ao Globos de Ouro e uma indicação ao BAFTA,…

• Ladybug Kay

★★★★ Rewatched by Ladybug Kay 11 Oct, 2015

The West Bloomfield Library presents a Monday Evening Film Discussion Series with Dr. Tara Hayes:

Oct 11 2015

Tara's reference notes:

This month's film? The Color Purple (1985) directed by Steven Spielberg. The film itself is based on Alice Walker's 1982 novel of the same name, and while we will talk briefly about the novel as source material as well as Alice Walker's response to Spielberg's film, the majority of our discussion will focus on the film itself and how…

• Brett Leach

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brett Leach 01 Nov, 2015

There are so many great scenes in this movie that it far outweighs the few poor ones. This a real roller-coaster for your emotions. And the music is great. And the photography is phenomenal.

• Ross Bonaime

★★★ Watched by Ross Bonaime 20 Oct, 2015

The Color Purple is the first drama that Steven Spielberg made and it really feels like he is still figuring out how to handle more sensitive material. For me, the biggest issue with The Color Purple is tone and Spielberg having a hard time hitting that tone with his score - a strange complaint since his previous films were only made better and iconic because of the scores.

So first: tone. The Color Purple is all over the place, poorly…

• pillole di cinema

★★★ Watched by pillole di cinema 02 Oct, 2015

Fluviale e un pelo noioso #Ilcoloreviola comunque risulta commovente. Non scade quasi mai nel ricattatorio, ma è sempre troppo sbilanciato.

• Si Sharp

★★★ Watched by Si Sharp 14 Oct, 2015

Tough to do this story justice from a tonal point of view. Certain aspects are certainly done very well. The performances are excellent. The three main female leads (Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey and Margaret Avery) hold the story together.

There's a few uneasy bits of character development but they're mainly due to script and its jumps in time, not the acting. Every nuance of personality comes across perfectly. This isn't a film with evil men, just lost boys with the…

• Cole Schneider

★★½ Watched by Cole Schneider 13 Oct, 2015

Although it has great performances and subtle camerawork, it's also uneven, melodramatic, blunt, and exploitative. But its bloatedness is what really does it in.

• Wesley Rose

★★★★★ Watched by Wesley Rose 12 Oct, 2015

This was my first time seeing The Color Purple. Whoopi Goldberg knocked this one out of the park. I cannot believe the range of emotions and growth seen in her character. Accompanied with the directing of Steven Spielberg, this film completely took me by surprise. I was not expecting to see such a beautiful picture and storyline. The way the culture was represented demonstrated a new perspective of culture I had never seen. I would suggest this movie to anyone I know.

• Justin Jagoe

★★★★½ Watched by Justin Jagoe 04 Oct, 2015

B for execution. A+++++ for effort.

This movie's "Hello, again" finale is nearly as great as E.T.'s "farewell" finale.

• steve belt

★★★★ Added by steve belt

“The Color Purple” is an intriguing, if flawed, entry in Steven Spielberg’s resume. It was a risky move at the time, even for a guy who, before the age of forty, had already become the most commercially successful filmmaker in history. It was his first major effort at a “serious” drama that didn’t involve sharks, aliens or Nazis. As such, it allowed him to show his strengths as a film craftsman, which are epic, as well as his weaknesses, which…