• TheMovieVampire

★★★½ Watched by TheMovieVampire 15 Dec, 2009

I went into this documentary pretty skeptical, because frankly I don’t give a rat’s ass about dolphins. Sure they may be marginally more intelligent than the average farm animal, but I don’t for a minute think they’re anywhere near as smart as even the dumbest human. If some people should think that they’re delicious, more power to them. If a group of Hindus were to give me a lecture about eating hamburgers I wouldn’t be too impressed, why should I…

• Compassionist

★★★½ Added by Compassionist

Tragic story of a movement's attempt to stop the mass slaughter of dolphins, led by the trainer of the most famous dolphin and start of a show that I watched religiously as a kid...Flipper.

• AvenueDave

★★★½ Watched by AvenueDave 30 Jan, 2016

Movie #438

My 2 cents: Incredible and sad. If you found 'Blackfish' interesting, the you should check this one out. 3.5/5

• Haydn DePriest

½ Watched by Haydn DePriest 05 Apr, 2016

It’s hard to give this rating to a film with high production values, competent direction, and somewhat good intentions, but this film really displays everything that you can do wrong with a documentary. This strikes me as so odd considering this documentary seems to be universally loved by everyone who’s seen it on Letterboxd. Imagine every bad documentary rolled in to one.

* It’s horribly unfocused, moving from one story to another with no grace and with many being downright…

• Roshni Nanhkoesingh

★★★½ Added by Roshni Nanhkoesingh

Very touching, since it gives a realistic representation of the situation the dolphins live in.

• Giovanni

★★★★★ Watched by Giovanni 25 Mar, 2016

This movie CHANGED MY LIFE. 5 mother fucking stars.

• Gavin Donnelly

★★★★½ Rewatched by Gavin Donnelly 18 Mar, 2016

I have been in quite a documentary mood recently. I decided to revisit The Cove 5 years after I had first seen it.

It is still a great documentary, eye-opening and inspiring. One thing jumped out at me from viewing again. How much this parallels Blackfish I had seen both films but never really connected them in my head (which seems oblivious now). It is great to see progression and these films having an effect instead of being forgotten about.

Would recommend to anyone interested in a good documentary and would make a great double header with Blackfish.

• Gerti

★★ Watched by Gerti 07 Mar, 2016

Despite the seriousness of the subject matter, it's hard to take this film seriously, since it's made by a bunch of white people flying into a foreign culture with not even the slightest interest in getting to know said foreign culture.

Instead, they view themselves as the Ocean's 11 of activists (their words), and the Japanese people as the villains in their hero's story.

They obviously succeeded in creating a lot of buzz at the time of release, so for their intents and purposes, the film did its job. I just wish it hadn't done so through misinformation and demonizing a whole nation.

• crucifixion

★★★★½ Watched by crucifixion 26 Jan, 2016

🔪 January Scavenger Hunt 🔪
    letterboxd.com/crucifixion/list/january-scavenger-hunt/
    #27. A nature documentary

Not really much I can add that hasn't been detailed in other reviews, all I can say is that this is essential viewing.

• MichelleK

★★★★★ Added by MichelleK

This film is what assured me of the power behind documentaries.

• Alvaro The Great

★★★★ Watched by Alvaro The Great 17 Jan, 2016

The Cove takes you on a journey to Taiji, Japan where every year dolphins are captured and either sold to big corporations or slaughtered for their meat. This documentary exposes the brutality that these intelligent and magnificent creatures endure.

• Vinícius Garcia

★★★½ Watched by Vinícius Garcia 17 Jan, 2016

vinicius garcia gostou muito de como o filme utiliza as filmagens na construção de um arco narrativo, e de como a trilha sonora consegue habilmente escoltar o fluxo emocional do espectador.

porem a mensagem me deixa um pouco incomodado. embora eu ja tenha lido por fora pra ver a reação da sociedade japonesa e de como o diretor respondeu a isso, vinicius nao consegue parar de perceber o quanto o filme tenta maniacamente criar um conflito de "Nós vs. Eles",…