• Goremaster

★★ Added by Goremaster

In between his zombie movies, George Romero directed other pictures like "The Crazies". It's about a biological experiment that gets out of control and releases a virus that contaminates a small town in Pennsylvania. People get mad and start to kill anyone.

It's not everyday that I can say that, but in this case the remake is better.

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Hernandez 13 Aug, 2011

Nobody directs the end of the world like George Romero did in the 70s. In a Romero apocalypse, everyone shouts at each other, no one knows what's going on, blood sprays, heads explode, and life tips into outright surrealism. The world actually isn't ending in this movie, but it may as well be for a small town just outside of Pittsburgh where a biological military weapon that makes people go insane was accidentally let loose in the water supply. Now…

• ghostdinosaur

★★★ Watched by ghostdinosaur 15 Feb, 2015

The tranquil chirping of birds and the sound of a siren are mixed so closely together in volume that they become almost the same sound. Are angry people infected, or is their irrationality the only coping mechanism in a system of faceless violent oppression? Romero takes what could be a one-sided premise (following a bacterial outbreak the military attempts to quarantine a small town) and complicates it by refusing to deny any group a sense of humanity and agency. The…

• Raúl Cornejo

★★★ Watched by Raúl Cornejo 11 Dec, 2014

Máscaras, cuarentena y militar

• JD Dawson

★★★½ Rewatched by JD Dawson 25 Oct, 2014

The plot might be thin and the actors don't react realistically to anything happening in the movie, but hell, Romero's "The Crazies" is a visual feast. Just watch the first hour and you'll be struck by how dynamic the look of this movie is. It's raw, rough, and frenetic: a piece of low-budget genius.

• ManBitesZombie

★★★★ Rewatched by ManBitesZombie 05 Nov, 2014

Smart and timely social horror marred by inconsistent editing and poor sound design. But it does have what I love most about Romero, social commentary, some great direction, independently made, great villains, raiding homes like the Ghetto Holocaust scene in Dawn, and plenty of people just arguing about the situation to each other.

• Karen Morris - Kola

★★½ Added by Karen Morris - Kola

A man made virus causes insanity and death. The military tries to control it. Lots of talking with sprinkles of action. This movie was all over the place and a little boring.

• Hannah Lynch

★★★★ Rewatched by Hannah Lynch 29 Oct, 2014

Director George Romero yet again proves he knows how to utilize and justify a budget, no matter how small. Incidental music liberally springs up in the most appropriate areas to enhance emotions, or juxtapose violence while a strong allegorical tale is woven throughout heinous acts to be unraveled by the viewer.

• Forrest B P

★★ Watched by Forrest B P 30 Oct, 2014

It has some good action and a lot of the themes that George A. Romero perfected early on in his career, but with its manic editing, lack of vivid characters, and feeling surprisingly lengthy, this film falls surprisingly flat.

• rossboyask

★★ Watched by rossboyask 23 Oct, 2014

A really interesting concept but the original film does not hold up well, especially compared to the much superior recent remake.

• Dave Seguin

★★ Watched by Dave Seguin 15 Oct, 2014

By the end of the Crazies I wanted to cry....from boredom! UGH! Ok so don't hate me cause I know George Romero is awesome and can make awesome movies. I mean this is from the Godfather of zombie movies and you think I would enjoy a film about a virus turning people crazy! But it's boring. I can't believe I actually enjoyed the remake better.

The problem with the original Crazies is that they have no budget to tell the…

• Dean Jones