• Collin

★★½ Watched by Collin 28 Jun, 2015

I found the story very interesting, but that's one of the only things I liked about The Crazies. I think the low budget helped the movie. It helped make the movie feel authentic. The editing was choppy and all around bad, which hindered the directing. The acting was okay, nothing bad enough to hurt the movie. I just didn't find myself caring for the characters. Like I said before, the plot was very intriguing and original. I did want to…

• Gustaf Ottosson

★★ Watched by Gustaf Ottosson 28 Jun, 2015

Redemptions VHS release of Romeros "The Crazies" promises that the film relies on a lot of gore. What is a lot or not is of course subjective, but not many horror fans - particularly those who love Romero because of titles such as "Dawn of the Dead" or "Day of the Dead" - would agree with the author of the description. In fact it is one of the less gory horror movies I've seen.

That in it self doesn't have…

• Chad Anderson

★★★½ Watched by Chad Anderson 21 Apr, 2015 2

I saw and enjoyed the remake in the theater but I had no idea. This movie, admittedly weak in production value, is amazing. The zombie-like theme is way ahead of its time, the politics are spot-on, and the critique of bureaucratic response to crisis is so great that I wish I had a version with Korean subtitles to show in class. This is a fantastic film!

• Tyler Henry

★★½ Added by Tyler Henry

The remake is better....in my opinion of course.

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 21 Dec, 1979

The military attempts to contain a man-made combat virus that causes death and permanent insanity in those infected, as it overtakes a small Pennsylvania town.
    Superior and intense, a low-budget zombie shocker with a distinct political message.

• Goremaster

★★ Added by Goremaster

In between his zombie movies, George Romero directed other pictures like "The Crazies". It's about a biological experiment that gets out of control and releases a virus that contaminates a small town in Pennsylvania. People get mad and start to kill anyone.

It's not everyday that I can say that, but in this case the remake is better.

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Hernandez 13 Aug, 2011

Nobody directs the end of the world like George Romero did in the 70s. In a Romero apocalypse, everyone shouts at each other, no one knows what's going on, blood sprays, heads explode, and life tips into outright surrealism. The world actually isn't ending in this movie, but it may as well be for a small town just outside of Pittsburgh where a biological military weapon that makes people go insane was accidentally let loose in the water supply. Now…

• ghostdinosaur

★★★ Watched by ghostdinosaur 15 Feb, 2015

The tranquil chirping of birds and the sound of a siren are mixed so closely together in volume that they become almost the same sound. Are angry people infected, or is their irrationality the only coping mechanism in a system of faceless violent oppression? Romero takes what could be a one-sided premise (following a bacterial outbreak the military attempts to quarantine a small town) and complicates it by refusing to deny any group a sense of humanity and agency. The…

• Raúl Cornejo

★★★ Watched by Raúl Cornejo 11 Dec, 2014

Máscaras, cuarentena y militar

• JD Dawson

★★★½ Rewatched by JD Dawson 25 Oct, 2014

The plot might be thin and the actors don't react realistically to anything happening in the movie, but hell, Romero's "The Crazies" is a visual feast. Just watch the first hour and you'll be struck by how dynamic the look of this movie is. It's raw, rough, and frenetic: a piece of low-budget genius.

• ManBitesZombie

★★★★ Rewatched by ManBitesZombie 05 Nov, 2014

Smart and timely social horror marred by inconsistent editing and poor sound design. But it does have what I love most about Romero, social commentary, some great direction, independently made, great villains, raiding homes like the Ghetto Holocaust scene in Dawn, and plenty of people just arguing about the situation to each other.

• Karen Morris - Kola

★★½ Added by Karen Morris - Kola

A man made virus causes insanity and death. The military tries to control it. Lots of talking with sprinkles of action. This movie was all over the place and a little boring.