• Jacob Hamblen

★★ Watched by Jacob Hamblen 21 Nov, 2015

i was disappointed. i enjoyed the remake and wanted to watch the original. i thought it was very boring though. it picked up a little by the end but i still didn't like it.

• Guilherme Machado

Watched by Guilherme Machado 13 Nov, 2015

"You, what do you own the world?
    How do you own disorder, disorder,
    Now, somewhere between the sacred silence,
    Sacred silence and sleep,
    Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep,
    Disorder, disorder, disorder." (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, Toxicity)

• damug

★★ Watched by damug 22 Oct, 2015

Why did that army man need that poor family's fishing poles?

I think the remake was a whole lot better too.

• WizardmanJones

★★½ Watched by WizardmanJones 23 Oct, 2015

It's heavily flawed movie, and poorly edited, but it's actually a very ambitious and an intriguing plot. That doesn't mean it's good, but it's...interesting.

The parallel story lines, wherein the heroes of each are essentially the villains for the other, is a really cool idea that unfortunately doesn't really go anywhere.

I wish this had been a better movie altogether, which is why I'm actually now MORE disappointed with it's 2010 remake than I was previously. The remake is more…

• Steve Hunt

★★★ Watched by Steve Hunt 18 Oct, 2015

Is it possible to make a pandemic horror film interesting by putting the pandemic itself in the background? Whether by budget limitations or Romero feeling really ambitious, The Crazies manages to find some good talking points about the response to an outbreak by focusing on the infrastructure set up to deal with it, and the various failings in place that reveals itself to be a bit of a team effort, but not before fingers start pointing at each other, followed…

• Michael Rich

★★½ Watched by Michael Rich 14 Oct, 2015

I saw the remake when it came out in 2010. I'd have to go back and rewatch it, but, from what I remember, it's a lot better than Romero's original.

I know it's a low-budget movie, but I never bought that the town was under attack. It's pretty campy.

• Megan Baker

★★★ Watched by Megan Baker 14 Oct, 2015

While flawed, I found The Crazies to be ambitious and unique. Compared to Romero's zombie films, The Crazies uses minimal effects to create it's thrills. It's also lighter in tone, not as much as a horror film as a thriller. It has social commentary but doesn't feel heavy handed.

The whole thing is quite chaotic which fits the story. I found some plot lines pointless and laughable, I didn't mind the missteps as much. Romero does a lot with a little.

• t-hom

½ Watched by t-hom 14 Oct, 2015

This one is a real weak point for Romero. His trademark commentary is there, front and center, but it's a bit on the nose, even by Romero's standards. The film also comes across and technically inferior to most of his other work. Romero tends to be a bit rough around the edges, but this film's pacing, poor production design, lackluster cinematography, and lack of many gore effects, leaves the audience hungry for something else. Ultimately, this movie is for completists only.

• Mike P

★★★★ Rewatched by Mike P 15 Oct, 2015

I love a film that rips out of the gates, and this one never lets up that energy. Couple that with its local cast and pointedly period-specific details and you have a tremendously strange and alluring film.

It's also one of the few films that manages to inject its title into the viewer's experience.

• neglify19

★★★½ Watched by neglify19 12 Oct, 2015

Film #12 of the "Scavenger Hunt #7 Challenge"
    Item #29: A horror movie you wanted to watch

This isn't one of Romero's best movies, but it's far from his worst. I liked that it wasn't a splatter-fest infection horror flick, but a smart story with a message. It did feel a little too long, especially in the first half with the government and scientists scenes. I saw the remake a few years ago and didn't care for it, but I should probably rewatch it. Recommended.

• Jaime Grijalba

★★★★ Watched by Jaime Grijalba 10 Oct, 2015

The Crazies (1973)

This movie is (haha) crazy! It's, more than anything else, a class in how to edit a film that has too many grounds to cover. The film moves from one place to the next, presenting new characters, situations and at the same time stating the sensation that everything may go to hell in swift camera movements and cuts, clearly stating that this is the portrait of a situation instead of the plot being about the situation…

• Mr. DuLac

★★★½ Watched by Mr. DuLac 08 Oct, 2015

They're coming!

I've seen the 2010 remake countless times but this is my first time seeing the George A. Romero original. The biggest difference right out of the gate is that there is two distinct stories being told in the original, one of the people in the town trying to survive and the other of the army and politicians trying to deal with the outbreak.

The remake also leans more towards being an action/horror film while Romero explores the…