• No-Personality

★★★★ Rewatched by No-Personality 15 Apr, 2014

Gets better every time you see it. It does waste considerable screen time on fleshing out the entire military operation as it dives into the delirium of trying to contain the virus when 75% of the movie at least should have stayed with the townspeople. The remake definitely got that right. Also, the effect of watching a bunch of extras try and act crazy becomes numbing very quickly. And there's too much ultra-fake looking blood. (No, I won't let that…

• mizpol

★★★★½ Watched by mizpol 17 Mar, 2014

Really great, fast paced Virus film from Mr Dawn of The Dead himself. The movie follows a group of survivors that have to both fear the infected people, but also the army that have been sent in to quarantine the town. There is also a sub plot following the military trying to find a cure. The film is bleak, with a few scenes that I didn't expect!!. Some memorable performances and a great film in any horror collection

• adam_j_scott

★★★ Rewatched by adam_j_scott 22 Feb, 2014

A rare virus contamination, quarantining small town America. The military getting involved. The constant paranoia of who has it or who doesn't. You get the picture!

Kind of a shame that George Romero's non-zombie movies don't get a fair shake.

• mrpigeon

★★★ Watched by mrpigeon 16 Feb, 2014

The Crazies could almost fit in with Romero's apocalyptic "Dead" series, telling the tale of a rural town exposed to a virus that sends (almost) anyone exposed to it into a psychopathic rage. The film follows the resulting government clean-up and a group of people attempting to escape the quarantine zone.

It gets full marks for ambition but neither the film's budget, nor Romero's experience as a filmmaker, seem quite able to match it. It drags heavily in spots, and…

• Colin Rinehart

★★½ Watched by Colin Rinehart 19 Jan, 2014

Paranoid cult film from horror maestro George A. Romero that can be slow at times, but is fraught with tension and dread. Well acted and directed, but plays it too safe where it should be more daring. Worth a look for genre fans.

• Andrew Bemis

★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Bemis 05 Dec, 2013

Much of The Crazies plays less like a horror movie than an early, prototypical version of recent procedural thrillers like Contagion and World War Z. Like those films, The Crazies centers around an epidemic - an Army plane crashes near a rural Pennsylvania town, releasing an experimental chemical weapon that causes many of the townspeople exposed to it to turn into homicidal maniacs. The movie cuts back and forth between townspeople attempting to survive and government and military personnel trying…

• HorrorQueen

★★★½ Watched by HorrorQueen 22 Nov, 2013

This was one of the few Romero films I hadn't seen before, and after seeing it I have no idea why I waited so long!

This very low budget movie about a town infected with a virus via its water supply has the classic Romero feel, in that the film focuses far more on the people affected than the situation at hand. The acting is not the best you'll ever see, but believable, and you do feel for the characters…

• Adam Cuttler

½ Watched by Adam Cuttler 18 Oct, 2013 1

This isn't made by the same guy who made Night of the Living Dead just 5 years prior, one of the greatest American movies of all time, is it?

• Austin Vashaw

★★★ Watched by Austin Vashaw 17 Oct, 2013

This is one instance in which I watched the original long after the (excellent) remake. Not unreasonably, I went in expecting a horror film but that's not really the case here. This one's more of a science fiction drama with a lot of satire swirled in, focusing instead on the ineptitude of the government and military, and the manner in which they respond to the accidental release of a weaponized biohazard agent on a rural civilian populace. It's every bit as smart as the 2010 remake, but not nearly as fun.

• inri222

★★★★ Watched by inri222 05 Oct, 2013

A biochemical warfare virus infects the water supply of a small Pennsylvania town causing it's victims to die or become insane. The town is then placed under quarantine by the goverment under martial law when chaos breaks loose between the military and the locals. An underrated George Romero classic.

• AfterMovieDiner

★★★★ Rewatched by AfterMovieDiner 22 Sep, 2013

a wonderful metaphor for the late sixties, early seventies hippy and civil rights movements that had the government, police and military unsure of what to do to control the situation.
    It's rapid montage editing style, pace and plot maybe hard to follow and the sound quality is not exactly terrific but getting past that there is a rich, complex, intelligent film here.

• Double_Dubs

★★★★ Watched by Double_Dubs 23 Sep, 2013

Although I rarely use this term, underrated is an apt description for The Crazies. It’s no Dawn of the Dead, even though both utilize a brand of “what would you do?” fantasy that Dawn succeeds in by leaps and bounds. The Crazies, though it lacks the roller coaster of emotions, namely fun, that Dawn possessed, is still a terrifying and agoraphobic ride that pits us into extremely uncomfortable situations, again making us question, “what would we have done?”.

This is…