• Conor Head-McCarthy

★★ Added by Conor Head-McCarthy

The best way I can think of describing this is with a strong "meh"

• Richard Goddard

★★ Watched by Richard Goddard 19 Aug, 2014

A really interesting concept and solid performances all round can't stop this movie from ultimately being hollow and tedious at best, which is a shame because the make up and special effects are fantastic and deserve better. The Hurricane Katrina metaphor felt very heavy handed and the ending didn't feel very impactful at all, it actually felt quite rushed and pushed aside. I'll probably go and read the Fitzgerald original now though and see if it handles the concept better, so I can say this movie wasn't a complete failure at least, it has encouraged me to read some more important literature...

• Bryan Colley

★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

Uses the template of Forrest Gump, but completely fails to find the humor and irony and scale needed to make it as entertaining. A few interesting moments, and an awful lot of dull moments, and also has a lot in common with the far better Schenectady, New York.

• Matt Florkiewicz

★★★★ Watched by Matt Florkiewicz 07 Aug, 2014

You can never go wrong with David Fincher; although his films are always dark (both plot-wise and color-wise), they seem to also have an intrinsic charm to them. This movie is the same case; Brad Pitt delivers a stellar performance and the sharp contrast between Benjamin's outward appearance and his inward personality is an amazing thing to watch; seeing that balance shift all throughout the years is another feat worth noting. All in all, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a great movie that leaves you wondering what really defines age.

• ReCreation

★★★½ Rewatched by ReCreation 05 Aug, 2014

There is an amazing film hidden in this movie. Certainly one of Fincher's most visually striking and inventive films is, unfortunately, repeatedly brought to several screeching halts by detrimentally inconsequential and eye rollingly basic hospital drama to either A)Tell you things the main narrative JUST told you or B) Awkwardly segue when the screenwriter couldn't do it with... I don't know... SCREENWRITING!
    If, however, you view all those hospital nonsequiters like commercials--the same type of outdated and downright unamerican commercial…

• Gordondon

★★★½ Added by Gordondon

This is like the lovechild of Forrest Gump and The World According to Garp. Enjoyed it but don't think I'll need to watch it again. I am a big fan of David Fincher, but this is the least Finchery of his films in my opinion.

• dr_exploitation

★★★½ Watched by dr_exploitation 17 Jan, 2009

UCI Arrábida 20
    Price: 4€40

• Danica Guinid

★★★★½ Watched by Danica Guinid 20 Jul, 2014

So much ringing truth in such an odd circumstance. I could not stop the ugly cry all throughout the last half when all the crucial knots sprouted from the characters' efforts to meet in the middle.

• MatthewLB

★★½ Watched by MatthewLB 30 Jul, 2014

I think the director went backwards when he was writing this movie. This movie is about a man who was born in his 80s in 1918 ages backwards. As the years pass, he grows younger, encounters love and joy, death and sadness. this movie felt kind of shallow movie with a good cast.

• Nick Silvia

★★★½ Watched by Nick Silvia 18 Jul, 2014

The titular character of The Curious of Benjamin Button has a disease where he ages backwards. I wish the movie had a similar "disease" and played in reverse so I could have stopped watching this flawed but good film.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button follows the life of Benjamin Button (Pitt) from birth to death. He is born under strange circumstance causing him to age in reverse. At the age of six he looks like an old man and…

• Matthew Donahue

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matthew Donahue 16 Jul, 2014

An excellent film by David Fincher. A detailed and touching story of two people - one aging backwards - meeting each other in the middle. Missed opportunities and life experiences truly grow each of this characters and make them richer for it. For the length of it (under three hours), it's surprisingly simple. It's inherent fantasy element might keep it from gelling with some audiences, but in many ways it is also it's strength. Worth taking a look at again.

• Stef

★★★ Watched by Stef 23 Jan, 2009

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.