• Jack Gaffney

★★★½ Watched by Jack Gaffney 21 Oct, 2014 4

There's a lot to be said about "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - a few stuff hurt this movie and a lot makes this movie quite lovable. But to start off talking about this movie, I must say, everything single element that supports the technical department for this film is magnificently done. Claudio Miranda can make some truly beautiful looking films. By looking at their filmography, this person has done the cinematography to beautiful looking films such as "Life…

• JackieGigantic

★½ Added by JackieGigantic 6

"People are stuff sometimes and whatever."
    - Summary of Benjamin Button's fucking retarded and out-of-left-field final soliloquy.

David Fincher was the least likely director for this material. David Fincher was the least suited director for this material. Why did David Fincher choose to direct this movie? There are some profound and nagging questions in life that will never be answered. If you're aware of the film's production history you'll know that Frank Oz, Spike Jonze, Ron Howard, and even Charlie…

• raginbowener

★★★½ Added by raginbowener

I was more impressed with this film than I thought I would be in all honesty. The plot has almost nothing to do with the Fitzgerald tale upon which it is "based", so if that's what you're looking for then you're out of luck, but the film justified itself in deviating from the original through its own merits. Strong acting throughout, especially from stars Pitt and Blanchett. Altogether yet another thought-provoking and worthwhile watch from Fincher, who has proven himself to be one of today's best directors.

• John Lees

★★★½ Watched by John Lees 19 Oct, 2014

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is a film I've long heard mixed reports about. It has not been David Fincher's most acclaimed of works, to say the least. But I finally got the chance to see it, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. It is pretty languidly paced, and not much happens, but there's a beautiful, aching melancholy that runs through the narrative, with both Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett skillfully bringing to life the bittersweet romance…

• Auri

★★★½ Watched by Auri 05 Oct, 2014

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is "based" on a short story by F. S. Fitzgerald, just that it's completely different to it.
    I loved the pictures and the feeling of the movie (and let's be honest - Brad Pitt!), but I am struggling to interpret it.
    Maybe it's not meant to be interpreted.
    Overall, I give it 3 1/2 stars, it was a nice saturday evening entertainment.

• Odeon

★★★ Added by Odeon

There's a review on this site, by a user called 'Fintan Hurl' that reads "It's like Forrest Gump except not good."

Since Fintan Hurl stole my reaction somewhat, I'm going to unpack that a little. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is the same quirky life-story tale about an innocent fish-out-of-water man whose life serves up endless lessons in the richness of the human experience.

Except.

Except that unlike the eminent Mr. Gump, Benjamin Button is not mentally handicapped. He…

• JMSavoyBoy

★★★½ Rewatched by JMSavoyBoy 16 Oct, 2014

While as impeccably shot and as beautifully told as Fincher's best work, the story is perhaps too sprawling to confine to a tight, briskly executed film.
    Acting wise, Blanchett and Pitt are stellar co-leads. Blanchett continues to prove she is consistently good in all her roles, while Pitt continues to prove he has talent that seems best unlocked when working with top notch directors like Fincher.
    All in all, an enjoyable film, but it is almost sprawling to a fault.

• Francesco Marioni

★★★★ Rewatched by Francesco Marioni 14 Oct, 2014

Its a charming if at times very cheesy fairy tale or fable that has moments that are truly charming. Pitt and Blanchet are excellent and the effects are out of this world and still carry the wow factor. Everyone compares this to Gump and I think I prefer this. This will always however feel like a strange anomaly in Fincher's career an anomaly that I would welcome revisiting a few times in the future.

• Antonio Guzman

★★★½ Added by Antonio Guzman

Morbid

• thestrelow

Added by thestrelow

One of the most curious aspects of Benjamin Button is what a relatively small portion of the running time contains the things you remember.

Let's back up. For me, the most resonant part of the film is the love story; the image of an elderly woman rocking a baby to sleep that happens to be her dying lover -- this is an irresistible image, and I would be surprised if David Fincher pursued making this film for the sole reason…

• Tristiac

★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 12 Oct, 2014

The outlier among Fincher's films, exuding a warmth that is found in precisely zero of the rest of his cold and clinical filmography. The special effects still impress; Brad Pitt's deaging is as convincing as it needs to be. The film is often really striking visually and I actually quite enjoy the heavily criticized languid pace, but the framing story is such an enormous miscalculation. I'm not a fan of framing stories in general, and I especially hate it when…

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Directed by David Fincher, wonderful film, a fantasy film. Loved the performance of Brad Pitt. Love the make-up, art-direction and cinematography!