• Dara Khan

★★ Rewatched by Dara Khan 19 Nov, 2014

I haven't read the original Fitzgerald short story that Eric Roth's screenplay is loosely based on, but judging from the Wikipedia synopsis, the source material feels a lot more 'David Fincher' than the adaptation: the tale of a privileged blue-blood with strained relationships, who eventually goes to Harvard when he is 'young' as an act of revenge against Yale, which rejected him when he was 'old'. One wonders if The Social Network, with its focus on a Mark Zuckerberg obsessed…

• Michael502

★★½ Watched by Michael502 19 Nov, 2014

A baby is born in 1918 New Orleans with all the qualities of a shriveled old man and grows younger with each passing year, this is the story of Benjamin Button. Told in flashback as his soul mate lies on her deathbed, just as Hurricane Katrina is heading to town.
    This is the curious case of David Fincher making a pretty ordinary film. It's sorta like Forrest Gump, just not as good. It's just so flat. There are no conflicts…

• Adrian Zachow

★★ Added by Adrian Zachow

Quiet boring. Things seemed to happen very slowly, and as far as I'm concerned, with no real emotional impact. Just because the whole thing is narrated "Morgan Freeman" style by Brad Pitt will not make it a movie of substance. The themes and ideas may be lurking there somewhere in a barely defined way, but the clumsy execution of the story's inherent magic realism just didn't do it for me. Better than average make-up effects, though. Handsome production values.

• Gui Park

★★★★★ Rewatched by Gui Park 17 Nov, 2014

Benjamin Button: Some people, were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by lightning. Some have an ear for music. Some are artists. Some swim. Some know buttons. Some know Shakespeare. Some are mothers. And some people, dance.

• Anne-Julie

★★★ Rewatched by Anne-Julie 16 Nov, 2014

First viewing after my reading of the Fitzgerald's original story.
    Really difficult to appreciate it as much now...

• Abdullah Muhana

★★★★★ Watched by Abdullah Muhana 16 Nov, 2014

what a movie ! fantastic soundtrack great love story

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★½ Added by Iestyn Lloyd

Typical Holywood movie. first half was ok, second half was just a downward spiral that seemed rushed.
    About 30 mins too long.
    Don't bother with this one. Maybe the book was better.

• Mathias Axberg

★★★★ Watched by Mathias Axberg 15 Nov, 2014

Yay:

+ Looks great.

+ The aging make-up and vfx are first rate.

+ Brad Pitt is one handsome bastard.

Nay:

- I liked hanging out with Benjamin and hearing anecdotes from his trials & tribulations, which is a good thing since the screenplay pretty much abandons ideas like a traditional three-act structure, character development or conflict of any kind.

- Really slow. As I mentioned above I liked the movie even if it really isn't interested in any traditional arc or thinking regarding pacing, but especially the first hour could probably have been trimmed.

• Michael Kastner

★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Kastner 14 Nov, 2014

Ich schaue gerade alle Werke von David Fincher. Vor 'Benjamin Button' hatte ich etwas Angst. Hab ihn damals im Kino gesehen und bin mit dem Ganzen nicht so warm geworden.
    Jetzt beim Rewatch ist mir aufgefallen, wie handwerklich perfekt der Film ist: Kamera, Ausstattung, Musik und vor allem die Effekte sind sehr gut. Die Geschichte ist durchaus interessant, aber so richtig rein gezogen wurde ich nicht. Brad Pitt ist (wie immer) spielstark, mit Cate Blanchett kann ich wenig anfangen.
    Einige…

• Derek Diercksmeier

★½ Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 06 Nov, 2014 3

Oh, boy.

I love David Fincher and consider him to be one of the finest directors alive.

However, this film does not appear to have anything to do with Fincher.

The script, written by 'Forrest Gump' screenwriter Eric Roth, is absolutely awful.

The performances are on the same level, with some admittedly pretty cinematography.

This feels like a parody of the type of absurdly sentimental garbage that Hollywood loves to award.

The director of 'Fight Club' and 'The Social Network' is not the same director who made this. He mustn't be.

• allflicker

★★★★ Added by allflicker

Overlong and not that involving but its a wryly funny and melancholy movie about death in all its forms.

Flat out the best special effects I've yet to see in a movie. A packed theater gasped loudly when a 20 yr old Brad Pitt stepped out of the shadows.

• salma

★★★★★ Added by salma

I watched this movie in the middle of the night on a Sunday and when it was over I stared at the screen for like an hour and I still don't know why