• LiteYear

★★½ Watched by LiteYear 13 Feb, 2010

"Benjamin Button.. it's an irony right?"

• Cassandra Javier

★★★★ Added by Cassandra Javier

Ahhh, this broke my heart. Read the book, too, it was quite short so I was surprised at how they orchestrated this but more than that, I also remember how a friend of mine slept at the cinema while we were watching this late late at night lol

• Josiah Morgan

★★★★ Watched by Josiah Morgan 13 Dec, 2014

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is an odd beast in the oeuvre of David Fincher's filmography.

So many aspects of the film are inherently very strong: the acting is perfect, right down to the casting, the make-up, while fake-looking sometimes, adds a certain glossy, polished feel to the film.

David Fincher's directing is perhaps at it's strongest between this film and The Social Network, after really hitting his stride with Zodiac.

I think then, that the only real issues…

• ChasingTheDawn

★★★ Added by ChasingTheDawn

It's a nice film.

• Matt Newton

★★★ Watched by Matt Newton 26 Dec, 2008

Eric Roth, the screenwriter of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, won an Oscar for his screen adaptation of Winston Groom’s Forrest Gump, and has now revisited his Oscar-winning game plan by penning a seemingly ingenious script under sneaky pretenses. Here, fifteen years later, Roth (who I’ve always thought to be a very talented and prolific screenwriter) looks to recapture the “Gump” buzz by swapping out handicaps, love interests, and epic journeys through the decades without notice. Unfortunately, even when…

• turnaboutint

★★★★ Watched by turnaboutint 06 Dec, 2014

Long as Hell but good

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 28 Apr, 2009

This felt like a more mature Forrest Gump, but not as good as that film. It’s still a good film with a fascinating story ... however I felt they didn't go beyond the premise enough to make it the masterpiece everyone was hoping for ... they must have expected the bizarre premise to be all they needed ... but didn't really go far from there. There’s some top notch casting and performances all around. Fincher's vision was faultless and it’s nice to see him trying something less serious and more personal.

• Chip

Rewatched by Chip 04 Dec, 2014

Benjamin Button is completely anomalous with the rest of Fincher’s filmography – dealing with none of his usual themes and eschewing any kind of attention to plot. It lumbers aimlessly with a cutesy gimmick that it only barely mines to inform the story or characters. Brad Pitt plays a character with the fantastic aliment of aging backwards, and yet this condition gives Pitt’s character no special insight or unique insecurities. He floats along with a kind of Zen boredom and…

• SJHoneywell

★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Strangely beautiful,
    But being pretty does not
    Make me like the film.

• Richard Murphy

★★★ Added by Richard Murphy

Pretty decent film with an excellent role by Pitt

• CinePersona

★★★½ Added by CinePersona

It's an interesting beast, no doubt. But the screenplay has some very glaring problems, mainly in its framing device.

Blanchett is marvelous in her chemistry with Pitt though, who is also very good here. The scene where she seduces him about an hour into the film is one of the best things Fincher's ever done. I just wish the script had served her better when she's in that hospital bed.

• Marshall Granger

★★★★ Rewatched by Marshall Granger 25 Nov, 2014

Probably the least accessible of Fincher's films for me, most of which I could watch more than once in one sitting. But it really is a lovely film. I hope he returns to period drama sometime.