• John Lees

★★★½ Watched by John Lees 19 Oct, 2014

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is a film I've long heard mixed reports about. It has not been David Fincher's most acclaimed of works, to say the least. But I finally got the chance to see it, and I must say I rather enjoyed it. It is pretty languidly paced, and not much happens, but there's a beautiful, aching melancholy that runs through the narrative, with both Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett skillfully bringing to life the bittersweet romance…

• Auri

★★★½ Watched by Auri 05 Oct, 2014

Interesting story but I am struggling to interpret it.
    Also, it's completely different to Fitzgerald's short story.
    Though, since I love Brad Pitt and the idea behind it: 3.5/5

• Odeon

★★★ Added by Odeon

There's a review on this site, by a user called 'Fintan Hurl' that reads "It's like Forrest Gump except not good."

Since Fintan Hurl stole my reaction somewhat, I'm going to unpack that a little. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is the same quirky life-story tale about an innocent fish-out-of-water man whose life serves up endless lessons in the richness of the human experience.

Except.

Except that unlike the eminent Mr. Gump, Benjamin Button is not mentally handicapped. He…

• JMSavoyBoy

★★★½ Rewatched by JMSavoyBoy 16 Oct, 2014

While as impeccably shot and as beautifully told as Fincher's best work, the story is perhaps too sprawling to confine to a tight, briskly executed film.
    Acting wise, Blanchett and Pitt are stellar co-leads. Blanchett continues to prove she is consistently good in all her roles, while Pitt continues to prove he has talent that seems best unlocked when working with top notch directors like Fincher.
    All in all, an enjoyable film, but it is almost sprawling to a fault.

• Francesco Marioni

★★★★ Rewatched by Francesco Marioni 14 Oct, 2014

Its a charming if at times very cheesy fairy tale or fable that has moments that are truly charming. Pitt and Blanchet are excellent and the effects are out of this world and still carry the wow factor. Everyone compares this to Gump and I think I prefer this. This will always however feel like a strange anomaly in Fincher's career an anomaly that I would welcome revisiting a few times in the future.

• Antonio Guzman

★★★½ Added by Antonio Guzman

Morbid

• thestrelow

Added by thestrelow

One of the most curious aspects of Benjamin Button is what a relatively small portion of the running time contains the things you remember.

Let's back up. For me, the most resonant part of the film is the love story; the image of an elderly woman rocking a baby to sleep that happens to be her dying lover -- this is an irresistible image, and I would be surprised if David Fincher pursued making this film for the sole reason…

• Tristiac

★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 12 Oct, 2014

The outlier among Fincher's films, exuding a warmth that is found in precisely zero of the rest of his cold and clinical filmography. The special effects still impress; Brad Pitt's deaging is as convincing as it needs to be. The film is often really striking visually and I actually quite enjoy the heavily criticized languid pace, but the framing story is such an enormous miscalculation. I'm not a fan of framing stories in general, and I especially hate it when…

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Directed by David Fincher, wonderful film, a fantasy film. Loved the performance of Brad Pitt. Love the make-up, art-direction and cinematography!

• davf

★★½ Added by davf

i was bored. Blanchett phones it in.

• Joe DiCanio