• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 26 Nov, 2014

An unexpectedly decent movie. I preferred the 60s parts more than the 90s parts, but overall worth a viewing.

• Derek Wood

★★½ Watched by Derek Wood 15 Nov, 2014

Kept me interested, I suppose. Weirdly uneven and overwrought.

• Myriad

★★½ Watched by Myriad 14 Nov, 2014

Boring

• Mully Mullennix

★★★ Watched by Mully Mullennix 14 Nov, 2014

Pretty generic spy mystery. I was pretty bored but it was well acted and well shot. It was worth watching but didn't do much for me.

• Henrik Schunk

★★★ Added by Henrik Schunk

A pretty solid spy-thriller that focuses much more on the psychological drama unfolding atwixt the parties involved than the actual "caper". In my opinion, the film hinges on two key factors that underperform and therefore prevent this one to be more than just a hint above average. First of all, the seemingly "enigmatic" nazi villain is played to the point but without verve and esprit by Christensen. Of course, one could argue that a nazi villain should never be portrayed…

• Joe Cool

★★★ Watched by Joe Cool 04 Nov, 2014

I suppose that going in to this John Madden helmed spy movie I should have known that it would lean more towards the emotional and less towards the espionage but for some reason I was hoping it would be a bit less Shakespeare In Love and a bit more Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Well, it's not. While not as sappy as it could have been it definitely chooses to focus on the emotions behind the Nazi hunt and its outcome rather than the method. It's a valid choice, but one that didn't quite work for me.

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 02 Nov, 2014

A surprisingly gripping espionage thriller. The chunk of the movie set in 1965 is ridiculously good -- unbearable suspense, peak Jessica Chastain, and a really clever use of an unreliable narrator. The 1997 scenes, on the other hand, drag it down a little (namely because of poor casting of the older versions of the agents and somewhat of a contrived climax).

As a result, "The Debt" feels like two movies, one vastly better than the other, that are clumsily woven…

• rangerfan1041

★★★ Rewatched by rangerfan1041 20 Sep, 2014

Letter Grade: C+

• elliotx

★★★ Rewatched by elliotx 21 Sep, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Si Sharp

★★★ Watched by Si Sharp 03 Sep, 2014

Decent enough acting and some good dialogue but the promising set-up fails to satisfy in the final act.

• Jacob HB

★★★½ Watched by Jacob HB 02 Aug, 2014

The Debt is well written, well shot and very well performed but lacks that spark to make truly memorable or emotionally engaging cinema.

The central story of the Mossad agents, tracking down the infamous 'Butcher of Birkenau' is intriguing and well sequenced. Matthew Vaughn has written an elegantly paced script which throws in enough surprises to keep the outcome of the mission tense. However, the film falls down in the bookended present timeline which is nowhere near as compelling as…

• Joyce Heinen

★★★★ Watched by Joyce Heinen 05 May, 2014

“The Debt” is based on the Israeli movie “Ha-Hov” from 2007. Three Mossad agents try to capture a Nazi doctor. Their mission didn’t go according to plan. The decision they make will haunt them when they’re older. They are seen as heroes in their country, but do they really deserve that?

The heart of the film is formed by a flashback from 1965, where Rachel, Stephan and David are send to East Berlin. Their task is to find doctor Bernhardt,…