• Jason Kaiser

★★★★ Watched by Jason Kaiser 25 Jul, 2014

A lot to like here - very original script, great performances, & several twists. Seemed well paced and dramatic from start to finish.

• Michael Offerosky

★★★★ Watched by Michael Offerosky 30 Jun, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• SMRIDGLEY74

★★½ Watched by SMRIDGLEY74 23 Jun, 2014

Bit serious for me, but ok. The Mirren steals the show of course.

• Niall Blackie

★★★ Watched by Niall Blackie 22 Jun, 2014

A film of two halves, even if they are meshed into one. Flicking back and forth between the 1960s/70s and late 90s the film looks at 3 Mossad agents' efforts to track down and bring to justice a Nazi war criminal. For me this is where the film falls down; the flashback action was tense, dramatic and well acted (especially the always magnificent Chastain). Unfortunately I found the more modern parts rather boring and even poorly acted, this was especially…

• Agnis

★★★½ Watched by Agnis 22 Jun, 2014

Slow start, but gets pretty interesting. Ending falls a bit flat.

• loureviews

★★★½ Watched by loureviews 08 Jun, 2014

This film by John Madden uses interfiling stories from 1965 and 1997 to show how three Mossad agents tracked down the evil Surgeon of Birkenau, Dieter Vogel, in Berlin, and returned as heroes.

With two generations of casting: Jessica Chastain/Helen Mirren, Marlon Csokas/Tom Wilkinson, Sam Worthington/Ciaran Hinds, this story is perhaps most successful in the closer to present day passages, but the feeling of tension within the Berlin apartment in 1965 is keenly felt, although Vogel (Jasper Christensen) occasionally veers…

View

• badblokebob (100 Films in a Year)

★★★★ Watched by badblokebob (100 Films in a Year) 31 Mar, 2013

Screenwriting partnership Jane Goldman and Matthew Vaughn vacate their usual milieu (see Stardust, Kick-Ass, etc.) for this Israeli spy thriller remake.

In a dual-pronged narrative, a team of Mossad agents are hailed as heroes following a high-value mission, only to face serious repercussions decades later. A cast led by Oscar winner Helen Mirren and nominees Jessica Chastain and Tom Wilkinson help affirm this as serious-minded Cold War drama, miles away from the Bondian world Goldman & Vaughn will next enter for Mark Millar adaptation The Secret Service.

Perhaps a little stodgy in places, it’s nonetheless an engrossingly plausible espionage drama.

• TajLV

★★★ Added by TajLV

Despite Helen Mirren’s absence for half the film, as Jessica Chastain takes her place as the “young” Rachel Singer, this film works pretty well as a thriller, trying to hunt down a Nazi war criminal in East Germany then Russia. Not the best or worst of spy flicks of recent mintage. I found it enjoyable.

• Alissa Wilkinson
  • junior1z1337

★★½ Watched by junior1z1337 18 May, 2014

Built on an interesting premise and a strong performance from Jessica Chastain, this movie had its moments. In particular, the intricate web of tension spun between the 3 agents and their captive. But it fails to capitalise on its strengths, once the great reveal occurs, it appears Madden has played all his cards. The movie quickly changes focus and slowly disintegrates into a fairly mundane resolution.

• Rolivers

★★★½ Watched by Rolivers 04 May, 2014

good political thriller!

• Joe Hastings

★★★★ Added by Joe Hastings 3

While I'm unfamiliar with the director that's not necessarily a bad thing. Helen Mirren, Sam Worthington, Ciarán Hinds, Jessica Chastain, Marton Csokas and Tom Wilkinson are well known talents that make up this fantastic movie. It may be a few years old, but I wasn't dying to see something with Sam Worthington in it.

I made a lot of assumptions about this one and I was wrong. The direction was smooth especially when it came to scene transitions. Worthington's acting…