• Lindsey Soliday

★★★★ Added by Lindsey Soliday

Wow! Not the story I was expecting from the trailer, but no less exciting! Great performance by Jessica Chastain, Sam Worthington, Helen Mirren, and the rest. Definitely worth my 2 hours!

• SatellyteHye

★★½ Watched by SatellyteHye 11 Jan, 2015

Could have been a pretty engaging movie if the director didn't seem so completely dedicated to evoking heavy-handed 'gravitas' at every turn. This is a story about a Nazi war criminal and the effort to apprehend him, I don't need two hours soft-focus tracking shots to understand the import of what's at stake.

Felt like a great script that got turned into a terrible movie. Also, the director isn't "that" John Madden, which was a huge bummer. Could have used more turduckens.

• Trash City

★★★★ Watched by Trash City 23 Dec, 2014

Full review: trashcity.org/BLITZ/BLIT2890.HTM

The flashback technique can be problematic in thrillers, because it restricts the outcomes, e.g. you know who lives, but here it works in favor of the film, when you realize that what you were initially told isn't necessarily 100% accurate. It's hard to say much more than this - I'm already tip-toeing delicately around spoilers - but Madden does a good job, and the "lightbulb moment" when you eventually figure out, makes it worth trawling through some…

• Mark_Lemmond

★★★½ Watched by Mark_Lemmond 28 Dec, 2014

With an incredibly strong cast, a tight script and good direction The Debt delivers an nice thriller. If the story had stayed only in the 60's it would be brilliant but once the story moves to the present it becomes a weaker picture.

• joelhwa

★★★ Watched by joelhwa 12 Sep, 2012

6/10: Very well written script with engaging dialog. Overall, amazing performances by the actors.

• dave

★★★ Watched by dave 11 Dec, 2014

Pretty good, i enjoyed the whole nazi hunting gone wrong aspect of it. But the love triangle thing was pain in the ass. It was kinda slow too, but worth it in the end...i guess...

• MIRIAM

★★★ Watched by MIRIAM 27 Nov, 2014

I was expecting more from The Debt. I finally got around to watching it and while it had some good twists and built tension, atmosphere, and mood well, the film felt like it was missing something. I think, as others before me have said, the modern day portions of the film fail to match the 1960s plotline in quality, interest, and suspense. Additionally, the attempted accents were distracting and Sam Worthington is always a bit weak as an actor. The…

• Chopperfireball

★★½ Watched by Chopperfireball 08 Dec, 2014

Uneven thriller that tries to wed cover espionage excitement with weightier themes on violence and revenge.

Unfortunately the fusion doesn't work, leaving the film feeling like two separate entities bolted uncomfortably together.

• missundazstood

★★½ Added by missundazstood

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 26 Nov, 2014

An unexpectedly decent movie. I preferred the 60s parts more than the 90s parts, but overall worth a viewing.

• Derek Wood

★★½ Watched by Derek Wood 15 Nov, 2014

Kept me interested, I suppose. Weirdly uneven and overwrought.

• Myriad