• joelhwa

★★★ Watched by joelhwa 12 Sep, 2012

6/10: Very well written script with engaging dialog. Overall, amazing performances by the actors.

• dave

★★★ Watched by dave 11 Dec, 2014

Pretty good, i enjoyed the whole nazi hunting gone wrong aspect of it. But the love triangle thing was pain in the ass. It was kinda slow too, but worth it in the end...i guess...

• MIRIAM

★★★ Watched by MIRIAM 27 Nov, 2014

I was expecting more from The Debt. I finally got around to watching it and while it had some good twists and built tension, atmosphere, and mood well, the film felt like it was missing something. I think, as others before me have said, the modern day portions of the film fail to match the 1960s plotline in quality, interest, and suspense. Additionally, the attempted accents were distracting and Sam Worthington is always a bit weak as an actor. The…

• Chopperfireball

★★½ Watched by Chopperfireball 08 Dec, 2014

Uneven thriller that tries to wed cover espionage excitement with weightier themes on violence and revenge.

Unfortunately the fusion doesn't work, leaving the film feeling like two separate entities bolted uncomfortably together.

• missundazstood

★★½ Added by missundazstood

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 26 Nov, 2014

An unexpectedly decent movie. I preferred the 60s parts more than the 90s parts, but overall worth a viewing.

• Derek Wood

★★½ Watched by Derek Wood 15 Nov, 2014

Kept me interested, I suppose. Weirdly uneven and overwrought.

• Myriad

★★½ Watched by Myriad 14 Nov, 2014

Boring

• Mully Mullennix

★★★ Watched by Mully Mullennix 14 Nov, 2014

Pretty generic spy mystery. I was pretty bored but it was well acted and well shot. It was worth watching but didn't do much for me.

• Henrik Schunk

★★★ Added by Henrik Schunk

A pretty solid spy-thriller that focuses much more on the psychological drama unfolding atwixt the parties involved than the actual "caper". In my opinion, the film hinges on two key factors that underperform and therefore prevent this one to be more than just a hint above average. First of all, the seemingly "enigmatic" nazi villain is played to the point but without verve and esprit by Christensen. Of course, one could argue that a nazi villain should never be portrayed…

• Joe Cool

★★★ Watched by Joe Cool 04 Nov, 2014

I suppose that going in to this John Madden helmed spy movie I should have known that it would lean more towards the emotional and less towards the espionage but for some reason I was hoping it would be a bit less Shakespeare In Love and a bit more Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Well, it's not. While not as sappy as it could have been it definitely chooses to focus on the emotions behind the Nazi hunt and its outcome rather than the method. It's a valid choice, but one that didn't quite work for me.

• Sam's Labyrinth

★★★★ Watched by Sam's Labyrinth 02 Nov, 2014

A surprisingly gripping espionage thriller. The chunk of the movie set in 1965 is ridiculously good -- unbearable suspense, peak Jessica Chastain, and a really clever use of an unreliable narrator. The 1997 scenes, on the other hand, drag it down a little (namely because of poor casting of the older versions of the agents and somewhat of a contrived climax).

As a result, "The Debt" feels like two movies, one vastly better than the other, that are clumsily woven…