• Paulo Godchalk

★★★★★ Watched by Paulo Godchalk 02 Aug, 2015

As a cultural document, an intimate portrait of depravity and human behavior on the fringes, The Decline of Western Civilization is essential viewing. It thrills for its entire runtime and makes you wonder how such a thing was made - and incredibly thankful that it exists.

• wolfnote

★★★★ Watched by wolfnote 30 Jul, 2015

The good, the bad, and the very, very ugly of LA punk rock in 1980. Back before punk had a conscience, and the entire scene was just about fuck everything.

• Hannah

★★★★ Added by Hannah

An unflinching portrait of a scene that my parents, and many family friends, were a part of. One of the rare movies that captures the raw, visceral energy of live shows, sometimes captured in beautifully abstract shots of moshers careening around in the pit and electric concert performances from LA legends, sometimes in detached, straightforward footage of musicians and fans alike acting like fucking morons. Either way, it's impossible to look away.

• JesseCataldo

★★★½ Watched by JesseCataldo 06 Jul, 2015

I’ve repeatedly seen Spheeris cite her primary inspiration as Wiseman, and that influence shows, although such a comparison does a disservice to her focus on temporality, the desperation to fit into groups/social structures that always seem about to supernova. She also misses (or isn’t interested in replicating) the insane, interlinked delicacy with which Wiseman’s films are constructed, although this does has a definite flow. There’s also definite savvy exhibited in examining the outlines of this ‘scene’ the social stratification that…

• Eric

★★★ Watched by Eric 23 Jul, 2015

Punk fans are the worst.

• Rumsey Taylor

★★★★ Watched by Rumsey Taylor 19 Jul, 2015

As a snapshot of Los Angeles’ potent punk rock scene circa 1980, the film is indispensable if only for the performances: Black Flag, Circle Jerks, X, and Fear among others. Each possesses an unstable power, projected indefatigably outward as fans thrash below and precariously among them.

Spheeris is less coercive in her approach here than in the sequel. One gets the sense that she’s more fond of the music, or at least more sympathetic with its practitioners who seem more…

• Liam O'Donnell

★★★★½ Watched by Liam O'Donnell 13 Jul, 2015

THIS FILM IS RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS

• elvers

★★½ Watched by elvers 12 Jul, 2015

hate the sport

• Nathan Rabin

★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Rabin 10 Jul, 2015

Look for a big piece on the series in the Globe and Mail.

• bmprooney

★★★ Added by bmprooney

Good.

The Decline of Western Civilization is about music. The film looks and sounds good. Some of the bands are lame. Most of what the bands have to say off stage is lame. The direction is good. There is an awesome and wild performance. The lyrics are cool enough. The ending works well. Available on Dailymotion, the Decline of Western Civilization is recommended.

DVD Combo Pack: Dig!

• J Hobbs

★★★★★ Watched by J Hobbs 08 Jul, 2015

A monumental work

• Alex

★★★ Watched by Alex 05 Jul, 2015

Bland documentary, I had high hopes for The Decline of Western Civilisation and upon seeing it; I was disappointed by what I watched. This first part focuses on the Punk rock scene of L.A and features interviews with those involved. I felt that the documentary could have been done much better than this, and that the film really didn’t have much to offer, which I was surprised, as I had nothing but good things about this film. Unfortunately, most of…