• Mitch Anderson

Watched by Mitch Anderson 25 Nov, 2015

The Women of November, #20/30.

Doesn't have much of a through-line, but knows how to shape its formal chaos into something even more visceral for the viewer. Definitely a rorschach test of of punk culture, demonstrating the allure of hedonism and the release of aggression, but also the toxicity that nihilism almost always breeds and the attacker-viewing-themselves-as-the-attacked mentality that punk attracts. Pretty great soundtrack, obviously. It might be cheating to use The Metal Years as another entry in this project before the month's over, but I'm still probably gonna.

• JulieC

★★★★ Watched by JulieC 19 Nov, 2015

That was intense.

• russman

★★★★ Watched by russman 14 Nov, 2015 1

I was never the biggest Black Flag fan, but their logo is the best

• Tom McHenry

★★★ Watched by Tom McHenry 07 Nov, 2015

Spheeris' documentary catches a whole movement right when it's working out its identity via music. Here are some bands, here are some excited kids. They feel like they might make some changes in things if they can just reject the past hard enough (the "civilization" of the title) and build something new and more humane.

• Steven Flores

Watched by Steven Flores 07 Nov, 2015

An absolutely exhilarating and fierce documentary on the Los Angeles punk-rock scene of 1980 at its peak and most controversial as it's a compelling look into the culture and the bands that defined the scene such as X, Fear, the Circle Jerks, the Germs, and Black Flag.

• Jerry Downing

★★★½ Watched by Jerry Downing 07 Nov, 2015

I've seen Part 2 before, but this was my first time seeing this one. I have always been more of a metal fan than a punk fan. Entertaining watch, even if some of the participants can get a bit grating.

• Anna

★★★★½ Added by Anna

I want to be Exene Cervenka when I grow up.

• Deven Seymour

★★ Watched by Deven Seymour 01 Nov, 2015

I should like this documentary. It's on a subject that is dear to me, punk music, it highlights some bands that I love, such as the Circle Jerks, and it was filmed in a year when I was a kid, and should feel nostalgia.

And yet... I did not like this movie. It seemed to have nothing to say, it seemed to especially focus on those punk rockers that had nothing to say, and the interviews with the managers, club…

• Jandy Hardesty

Watched by Jandy Hardesty 29 Oct, 2015

I've decided I quite like films about musical moments/scenes that capture a certain zeitgeist. Spheeris hangs out with bands in the LA punk scene - the ones down on the ground, putting on $6 shows at grimy clubs and living in closets for $16 a month. It's fascinating and sad and exhilarating and scary and alive.

Here's how it entered my Flickchart:

The Decline of Western Civilization > Hotel Chevalier
    The Decline of Western Civilization > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    The Decline…

• Fesapo

★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 29 Oct, 2015

• ebmsp

★★★★ Watched by ebmsp 17 Oct, 2015

A vital document--and not just since many of the interviewees are no longer among the living. The L.A. punk scene never got the respect that NYC & London did; I think this flick corrects the history a bit.

• Dan Heaton

★★★½ Watched by Dan Heaton 21 Oct, 2015 1

It's a fascinating look at the early days of punk, but I was less engaged by the music than the culture. There were exceptions like X, of course. Glad I finally saw this film, and I'm looking forward to seeing the others (thanks TCM!). It's been on my list for so long.