• Chad Nichols

Watched by Chad Nichols 28 Aug, 2015

Penelope Spheeris is a badass.

• Chris

Rewatched by Chris 28 Aug, 2015

"Public school makes leeches"

Incredible time with a crowd. Demands to be seen with a room full of excited human beings.

• laird

★★★★★ Rewatched by laird 28 Aug, 2015 3

Pretty much anyone who was ever into punk rock has some boring story about how it affected them personally. Here's mine (nobody has to read this, but this movie welled up a bunch of old memories and feelings so I feel compelled to exorcise them here):
    Last time I saw this movie I was 14 or 15-years-old, sitting on a musty couch with Mary Blackwell in the basement of her aunt and uncles' house in Candler Park. Mary was a…

• Joe

★★★★½ Watched by Joe 28 Aug, 2015

There's a slender thread here, and some would probably say in the DNA of punk itself, of creepy shit like white supremacy, homophobia, and genuinely antisocial and violent behavior (as opposed to the cool kind) that to the movie's credit isn't brushed under the rug but isn't quite the subject of serious exploration either. Contrast that with the often straight-ahead mockery of Part II and you have quite a study in how subtle differences in presentation can make a huge difference in material. It's also a study in how much shittier music apparently got in less than ten years.

• Jacob Knight

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jacob Knight 28 Aug, 2015

Something happened with these kids. We don't understand it. Maybe we never will. But it did happen.

• PatrickRipoll

★★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

Watched with Penelope and Anna Spheeris commentary

Really warm and lovely commentary. Penelope Spheeris walks a incredibly fine line between feeling like part of the punk world and proud parent of it. This series, this scene, these people, all became incredibly important parts of her and her daughter's lives, and that feeling that kind of familial affection over something like the hardcore punk movement has unexpectedly emotional results.

• PatrickRipoll

★★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll

Watched with Dave Grohl commentary.

Not really much insight into anything but hearing him reminisce is occasionally interesting.

• Jody Whipp

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jody Whipp 14 Aug, 2015

(BluRay from The Collection) Seen this several times but not for years and I don't think I've enjoyed it this much before. Some cool extras and both commentary tracks are worth a listen, particularly Dave Grohl's... and I'm pretty Dave Grohl'd out.

Fun fact... "Eugene" is a folk singer now.

X-Man is still frightening.

Fear is silly.

• ranxxerox

Rewatched by ranxxerox 08 Aug, 2015

Saw in a double feature with pt III, Penelope Spheeris was in the audience and did a short Q&A between the movies.

• Paulo Godchalk

★★★★★ Watched by Paulo Godchalk 02 Aug, 2015

As a cultural document, an intimate portrait of depravity and human behavior on the fringes, The Decline of Western Civilization is essential viewing. It thrills for its entire runtime and makes you wonder how such a thing was made - and incredibly thankful that it exists.

• wolfnote

★★★★ Watched by wolfnote 30 Jul, 2015

The good, the bad, and the very, very ugly of LA punk rock in 1980. Back before punk had a conscience, and the entire scene was just about fuck everything.

• Hannah

★★★★ Added by Hannah

An unflinching portrait of a scene that my parents, and many family friends, were a part of. One of the rare movies that captures the raw, visceral energy of live shows, sometimes captured in beautifully abstract shots of moshers careening around in the pit and electric concert performances from LA legends, sometimes in detached, straightforward footage of musicians and fans alike acting like fucking morons. Either way, it's impossible to look away.