• PatrickRipoll

★★★★½ Added by PatrickRipoll 2

As vital a document as cinema has ever produced. I want to declare this one of the best films of all time. I've never felt a stirring of pride in my life for any number of groups I belong to, but as an anthropological study of the ignoble race of angry young white men, this gets me the closest. Astounding. A

• scottmarra

★★★★★ Watched by scottmarra 13 Jun, 2015

Wow. Unlike most of the other documentaries I've seen on the late-70s early-80s punk movement, this one was filmed and produced while it happened and made me feel like I was there. This is a historical document. I would show this to people who have zero interest in the music but have an interest in human beings and history.

I've always been interested in this area of music history and watched this mainly for Black Flag and Circle Jerks, but…

• Simon Abrams

★★★★ Rewatched by Simon Abrams 10 Jun, 2015

It's kind of amazing how much of the film's music has stayed with me despite the fact that I don't own any of the featured bands' work except G.I. and Los Angeles, and haven't seen Decline in, what, five, six years?.

Anyway, I'm interviewing director Penelope Spheres for The Dissolve. More soon.

• Justin LaLiberty

★★★★★ Rewatched by Justin LaLiberty 05 Jun, 2015 1

So fucking raw. This remains surprisingly urgent and potent. That final performance from FEAR is the most terrifying, palpable concert footage put to film outside of Gimme Shelter.

• Negative Creep

★★★★ Watched by Negative Creep 28 Apr, 2015

Although this documentary is rather select, focusing only in a few among the plethora of bands which composed the punk and post-punk music scenery in L.A., it's fascinating because it managed to capture perfectly an unique moment in history (not only in rock history).

It's awesome to get a closer look at the band members who were a part of the movement, some leaders more empathic and politically active than others...some performing a dramatic jesus-like role (Darby Crash, much like…

• Thomas Roche

★★★★★ Rewatched by Thomas Roche 24 Apr, 2015

Okay, this is NOT a five-star film. It's just that it was really important to me when I was young. It convinced me that whether or not one was/is punk, there was no benefit whatsoever to being, well, basically a privileged white pompous self-important acting-out a-hole. That happened just in time for the second-wave, touchy-feely wave of anti-racist NorCal hippie-punk in Oakland and Berkeley, which I got involved with, and I ended up being a lifelong activist rather than a…

• MrSneakyMan

★★★★★ Rewatched by MrSneakyMan 22 Feb, 2015

I love this movie, been a while since I last watched it.

Darby Crash was a high powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live, but too rare to die. Until he did die. From a heroin overdose.

It blows my mind that not only is Lee Ving still alive, but he seems to have barely aged at all.

I miss the zine scene.

Pat Smear, angry punk kid.

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★ Added by Jason Hernandez

Entertaining documentary on the early 80s Los Angeles hardcore punk scene. The kids are all fucked-up, but they pogo the pain away to Black Flag and The Circle Jerks. Most of the punk youngsters interviewed here are probably accountants and marketing managers now, but in 1981 they were fresh-faced sociopaths with Southern California accents who talk frankly about cracking skulls, doing drugs, and living dangerously. In between that, we get loads of live material such as The Germs' train wreck…

• MrMonstrosity

★★★★½ Watched by MrMonstrosity 06 Jul, 2011

The film stands now more as a time capsule of the late 70s/early 80s hardcore punk scene than as an exploration of its music. You can practically smell the unpleasant aroma of desperation that these people have, as charismatic as they may be.

All of the bands featured (some more than others) are great in their ability to channel every fucking thing that is enraging them into a performance. And that is what makes this so damn compelling. They may…

• Colin Rinehart

★★★★★ Added by Colin Rinehart

A definitive time capsule of the hardcore punk scene in LA in the early 80s, featuring one legendary band after another in their prime playing some of their best material. Interesting enough solely from a sociological standpoint but for fans of hardcore and all things punk this is absolutely must own material. Worth a watch if only to see Darby Crash try to make food while clearly high on heroin. Also worth noting the LAPD chief of police tried to get this film banned entirely.

• Jack Rys

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Rys 16 Nov, 2014

Damn, insane look at the early LA Hardcore punk scene in the 80's. Seeing punk legends like Black Flag and the Circle Jerks is amazing and the film is so brutal in its depiction of the counterculture of the time. Perfect historical and artistic documentation.

• PezEspada

★★★★ Watched by PezEspada 29 Jun, 2014

Todos son tan tontos que hay que quererlos.