• Colin Rinehart

★★★★★ Added by Colin Rinehart

A definitive time capsule of the hardcore punk scene in LA in the early 80s, featuring one legendary band after another in their prime playing some of their best material. Interesting enough solely from a sociological standpoint but for fans of hardcore and all things punk this is absolutely must own material. Worth a watch if only to see Darby Crash try to make food while clearly high on heroin. Also worth noting the LAPD chief of police tried to get this film banned entirely.

• Jack Rys

★★★★★ Watched by Jack Rys 16 Nov, 2014

Damn, insane look at the early LA Hardcore punk scene in the 80's. Seeing punk legends like Black Flag and the Circle Jerks is amazing and the film is so brutal in its depiction of the counterculture of the time. Perfect historical and artistic documentation.

• PezEspada

★★★★ Watched by PezEspada 29 Jun, 2014

Todos son tan tontos que hay que quererlos.

• Neil McCalmont

Watched by Neil McCalmont 31 May, 2014 2

My band is thinking of doing a bunch of Germs covers, since everyone in the band is so untalented and inebriated that it's inevitable that we'll sound better than the original.

View

• John (Magic Rat Movies)

★★★½ Watched by John (Magic Rat Movies) 16 Apr, 2014

The first part of Penelope Spheeris' trilogy of documentaries about L.A.'s alternative music/lifestyle scene has a near mythical reputation - perhaps largely as a result of its rarity - the only copy I've ever seen is a DVD-R taken off a Japanese laserdisc! The Decline Of Western Civilization is very much a celluloid time capsule, capturing as it does a short period between the 1970s and 80s and concentrating on a handful of Los Angeles punk bands, some on the…

• fizzybenilyn

★★★★ Watched by fizzybenilyn 12 Feb, 2014

Our Band Could Be Your Life: The Movie

• onemarathon

★★½ Watched by onemarathon 27 Nov, 2013

Only slightly of interest to me, this forerunner to the "sequel" - TDOWC Part II: The Metal Years - was a much more raucous experience, but the interviews were dull and lifeless. My knowledge of punk was minimal, so I actually learned a little from this documentary, but again, this genre of music - and its less than colourful characters - didn't excite me one bit.

The film featured about a half dozen early punk bands. The ones I liked…

• Noetic Hatter

★★★★½ Watched by Noetic Hatter 10 Sep, 2013

Invaluable look at the Los Angeles punk scene around 1980 -- a film as raw as the artists and music it chronicles.

Penelope Spheeris starts with an overview of the genre before diving into interviews with band members interlaced with footage from their shows. She also spends some time with Slash magazine, one of the big fanzines from the period. And at the end, she interview some kids from the "scene" - though you'll notice Pat Smear (The Germs, Nirvana,…

• mrbalihai

★★★★ Added by mrbalihai

Before Penelope Spheeris veered off into dopey comedies based on television shows, she made this brilliant documentary of L.A. punk. This is what lightning captured in a bottle looks like.

• spungzilla

★★★★½ Added by spungzilla

If you like hardcore punk rock from the 70s and 80s, this movie is for you. It's a documentary on the music and the lifestyle embodied by punk rockers back in 1981, from the mouths of the rockers themselves.

• Mario

★★★★★ Added by Mario

Awesome documentary. Contains some of the best Black Flag footage ever.