• Felix Vijay Coffet

★★★½ Added by Felix Vijay Coffet

• Ken Coffelt

★★★★ Rewatched by Ken Coffelt 04 Oct, 2015

On Friday, I noticed that Fandor had added a number of great movies to their selection, things I was keen to see, like Things (1989) and Penelope Spheeris's entire Decline of Western Civilization series of films. Fandor, I'm digging it!

Of the three films, the only one I had ever seen was the first, The Decline of Western Civilization. I may have seen parts of the second film, but I definitely have still not yet seen the third one though…

• Damian Costanza

Watched by Damian Costanza 04 Oct, 2015

Supongo que la intención del documental en su momento fué intentar dar una explicación o ahondar de un las raices de un movimiento muy concreto, el hardcore punk de principio de los 80 en L.A. Lo mas seguro es que ni la propia autora ni los implicados sabían por aquel entonces la influencia que iban a tener en la música en un futuro, asi que ahora queda como una fotografía de una parte del nacimiento del punk hardcore de EEUU.

PD. Alguien debería haberle dado dos bofetadas a Kickboy y al resto de Catholic Discipline. Menudo canallita.

• Patrick Lohmeier

★★★★ Watched by Patrick Lohmeier 01 Oct, 2015

Ehrlicher, unterhaltsamer Einblick in den amerikanischen Musik-Underground anno 79/80. Just don't call them punks!

• Justin Hullinger

★★★ Watched by Justin Hullinger 30 Sep, 2015

While the fly-on-the-wall format of the L.A. punk crowd of the early 80's is much appreciated and a great representation of the time and place, an off-beat pace keeps this from being too captivating.

We get up-close and personal with a pre-Rollins Black Flag, The Germs only months before Darby Crash's death, influential punk-based magazine Slash, and the wildly underrated X. We also get to see The Circle Jerks and Fear, but their time is mostly spent in concert-footage form.…

• Austin Wolf-Sothern

★★★★★ Rewatched by Austin Wolf-Sothern 25 Sep, 2015

The people aren’t always the most lovable, but this is a truly effective document of a time and place, with some electric performances. The stuff with Darby is the best. His friend Michelle’s brief impression of him getting hurt makes me laugh every time. It’s just too bad there aren’t interviews with Alice Bag, Circle Jerks, or Fear (I suppose we get enough of what we need from Fear).

• JPC

★★★½ Watched by JPC 06 Sep, 2015

Un documental acerca del punk pero, sobre todo, un documental punk. Es lo que tiene vivir el momento y no contar la historia treinta años después.

• M.R. Turnage

★★★★★ Watched by M.R. Turnage 17 Sep, 2015

I am finally catching up with this documentary almost 35 years too late, and living in a post-"Anvil" world.

This is a really good document of a specific time and place. I understand the anger behind the music, but the emotions are so strong, they come across as cartoony. There is a humor in this film around the edges, and I can see how the humor would become more pronounced in the next films in this series.

If anything, this film should be an inspiration to any documentarian seeking to record their local music scene.

• Edwin Davies

★★★★ Watched by Edwin Davies 14 Sep, 2015

A raw, passionate and unvarnished look at a raw, passionate, and unvarnished scene. Spheeris nimbly blends interviews with live performances to give a sense of the LA punk scene without overexplaining anything. It places the audience in the mosh pits and offers some context for how the scene grew up, but it's much more interested in sweat than sociology.

• James Clark

★★★★ Watched by James Clark 11 Sep, 2015

Documentary filmed in 1979 and 1980 focusing on the Los Angeles punk music scene.

The first entry in the documentary trilogy directed by Penelope Spheeris, who later went on to direct Wayne's World. This documentary features concert footage and interviews with various band members, along with fanzine publishers, promoters and fans of the music. The subject matter will be of interest to any fans of punk music as it focuses on a subculture that was all but forgotten by the…

• Bruno Ferreira

★★★★½ Watched by Bruno Ferreira 11 Sep, 2015

A delinquência juvenil do passado

• Hooded Justice

Watched by Hooded Justice 10 Sep, 2015

"We got a bad reputation for some reason."

A vital document of a music scene that was completely off the mainstream's radar at the time. In light of how impossible it has been to get hold of this for so long, it was especially gratifying to see it with Penelope Spheeris present.