• macabre87

★★★½ Watched by macabre87 20 Oct, 2015

I'm not the biggest fan of punk music, but I do have a lot of admiration for the attitude and the lifestyle. This documentary does a superb job of capturing an era in time by spotlighting not just the bands and the punk music scene, but also the anarchic spirit that brought together thousands of wayward teens and social outcasts and gave them an outlet, a release, for all their pent-up anger and aggression.

Watching fan after fan, each individual…

• dr_chile

Location: Home, projected
    Company: Maxim

• Noyer

★★★½ Watched by Noyer 16 Jan, 2016

Film three of my "52 Films by Women" pledge. Honestly, THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION is a bleak, unpleasant look at a bleak, unpleasent, and self-destructive subculture.

• talisencrw

★★★★½ Watched by talisencrw 14 Jan, 2016

Though I both am neither a punk aficionado (I have seen X live in Detroit in 2008) nor an expert on Spheeris' films (I have seen and enjoyed both 'Wayne's World' and 'Little Rascals'), this was very satisfying. The energy and spirit of these rebellious youths really comes across well, and the clever assertion from one of the interviewees that punk is simply another form of folk and protest music, albeit with different instruments and at a faster speed, rings…

• Carey Norris

★★★ Watched by Carey Norris 15 Jan, 2016

I'm no expert on the L.A. punk scene of the late '70s/early '80s, but it's still amusing to see people describe punk music in such clinical terms as a couple of the club owners do here. And I like Fear as much as the next guy, but, yikes, is there some troubling homophobia!

• Joe

★★★★ Watched by Joe 14 Jan, 2016

As offensive and detestable as some of the characters are here, and as terrible as some -- SOME -- of the music is, it was refreshing how genuine these musicians were , versus the preening douchebags in Decline II.

• Jacob Wencel

★★★½ Added by Jacob Wencel

Showing an unknown side to the influential era of punk in the early 80's, this unfluctuating documentary creates an interesting narrative to the wild side of the LA Punk scene. Captivated by live footage of shows and interviews with the bands/participating members (club owners, punk heads) focused on in the film, Decline brings an outrageous story unlike many. True to nature of punk, this wild documentary should bring out the thrasher in all of us.

• Brad Lewis

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brad Lewis 02 Jan, 2016

Punk is the best thing that ever happened. My only wish is that Fear could have invaded the dummies from part 2. I'm sure Lee would have had some things to say to Odin.

• Mickey

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mickey 28 Dec, 2015

Full disclosure: while I find the scene and the individuals in it very interesting, I don't like hardcore punk at all. I never have. I'm much more of a '77 New York, London, Manchester type of guy. So a couple of bands here (X, Fear, Catholic Discipline) are up my alley, but stuff like Black Flag, the Germs and Circle Jerks does not hold any sonic appeal to me in the slightest.

It's interesting to watch this years later, now…

• Austin Lugar

★★★★ Watched by Austin Lugar 30 Dec, 2015

I'm not a punk fan and the odds are very good that I will never go to a punk concert. But I loved watching all of these musicians explain what they're doing with some of the oddest little asides I've seen in a documentary. This movie is alive and angry and amused by it all. It's insane that Penelope Spheeris is now stuck making Hallmark Christmas movies.

• Drew Dahle

★★★½ Watched by Drew Dahle 27 Dec, 2015

Not much insight to be found (perhaps there's none to be had?) but still a fascinating document of LA punk culture in motion. The Decline of Western Civilization is most valuable as a document of some really great music, particularly the fantastic but short-lived Catholic Discipline who never made any proper recordings as far as I know.
    One of the songs Circle Jerks play called "Back Against the Wall" aptly sums up the vibe: "So you can cuss/Spit/Throw bottles/Broken glass/But it all ends up with handcuffs on you hands/You run around and spray paint/Graffiti on everybody's wall/You think that's bitchin' man/That ain't nothing at all!"