• Stacy

★★★ Added by Stacy

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"The Dictator" is funny, in addition to being obscene, disgusting, scatological, vulgar, crude and so on. Having seen Sacha Baron Cohen promoting it on countless talk shows, I feared the movie would feel like deja vu. But no. He establishes a claim to be the best comic filmmaker now working. And in a speech about dictatorships, he practices merciless political satire.

Compared to the gleeful transgressions of "Borat" and "Bruno," this is Cohen's most conventional film. It has a plot,…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 07 Jun, 2012

Far too broad, stupid, and unfunny to really make an effective satire. Aladeen's speech about America at the end is far too on-the-nose and thus doesn't work at all, neither as comedy nor social commentary.

Should've just made another mockumentary.

• Joe

★★★★ Watched by Joe 18 Apr, 2014

I feel bad liking this as much as I did. Most of it was really mean, shitty humor. But I laughed. There's enough other absurd / funny stuff piled on other than the many, many jokes about women or Jews.

• Nikki Pinney

★★½ Watched by Nikki Pinney 06 Apr, 2014

After watching WHITE CHICKS, I was in a dumb comedy mood for the weekend. Ever since that Thanksgiving I tried to watch BRUNO with my mom, I've sort of shied away from Sacha Baron Cohen flicks. Penises are a big enough joke to me in theory, I don't ever need the visual.

• Phil

★★½ Added by Phil

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Ari Gunnar Thorsteinsson

★★ Watched by Ari Gunnar Thorsteinsson 06 Apr, 2014

Oh boy. There's a lot of funny stuff here, especially the overtly silly stuff (like the helicopter scene), but the satire ranges from overly ham-fisted to completely insipid.

Even though I understand through context and irony that the endless barrage of sexist and racist jokes aren't actually meant to be sexist and racist, I still can't help feeling that it's just so completely easy and uninspired.

Also, someone give Jason Matzoukas a whole movie for himself. That guy is the best.

• Alex Krajci

★★ Watched by Alex Krajci 05 Apr, 2014

I Don't Like 2012's The Dictator, I Don't Like It Because Katie Rossino Saw This Movie Back In May Of 2012 At Classic Cinemas In Fox Lake, IL.

• David Clausson

★★½ Watched by David Clausson 29 Mar, 2014

Några roliga skämt är det, men det når inte riktigt fram.

• Robb Rauen

★★★★ Watched by Robb Rauen 24 Mar, 2014

The first half hour I felt like it was just meh. But then, the next hour, I laughed my Aladeen off.

• Fitzers227

Watched by Fitzers227 22 Mar, 2014

I'll admit right off that bat that I am not a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen's humor. I'm not a fan of this "undercover/gotcha" type filmmaking like Borat or Bruno. It feels mean spirited and cheap to me. I also feel like in a scripted comedy like this you're able to see what a crutch it is for Cohen. It was nice to see him paired against a true comedian like Fred Armisen in what was probably the funniest bit…

• Ezra Cubero

★★★½ Watched by Ezra Cubero 05 May, 2012

Not as good as BORAT, but far superior to BRUNO, Sacha Baron Cohen's latest comedy, THE DICTATOR, still delivers big laughs consistently.