• Nick

Added by Nick

After the smash success that was Borat and pretty-good spiritual successor Bruno, we have finally hit the turning point for Sascha Baron Cohen's foreign character films.

The Dictator completely abandons what made its predecessors great: the real-life reactions from people who didn't realize they were the victims of a bit.

There were points in Borat where the reactions illicited by the victims of each gag provided some shockingly profound social commentary on American culture and our often-ignored flaws. In Bruno,…

• russman

★★★ Watched by russman 18 Nov, 2014

I thought this movie was Aladeen

• James Healey

★★★ Watched by James Healey 11 Mar, 2014

Some funny bits but wasn't as good as Bruno or Borat. Maybe I wasn't in the mood.

• Harry Simmo

★★★½ Watched by Harry Simmo 14 Nov, 2014

Pretty meh storyline but made me laff.

• Jesus Malpartida

★★★ Watched by Jesus Malpartida 14 Nov, 2014

Pone a prueba constantemente los límites del humor de cada uno. Los míos los sobrepasó con el "gag" de la violación de niños. Se le va la puta olla a veces. Por lo demás, es entretenida y tiene algunos puntos memorables.

• Rodrigo

★★★★★ Added by Rodrigo

Melhor filme de comedia ever! Nunca os EUA foram tão zuados !

• Ediz Can Günenç

★★★½ Added by Ediz Can Günenç

I have 2 words for you; Aladeen Madafaka!

Mostly funny, definitely didn't bore me.

Sacha Noam Baron Cohen's accent was magnificent! (^-^)
    Watch it. You'll like it.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 11 Aug, 2012

No longer able to pull off the hidden camera antics of Borat and Bruno due to his rising popularity, Cohen has to settle for scripted storytelling, and in that sense this is no better nor worse than many crass comedies (including his big screen debut in Ali G in Da House). Cohen remains a hoot to watch, though, and the film does have enough laughs based on his performance to put it in the "good" category. The script also features many delightful dialogue exchanges which often had me in stitches.

• DeadCeluloid

½ Added by DeadCeluloid

Makes for truly remorseful viewing. Poor Ben Kingsley. His career has not aged as gracefully as he has. Avoid.

• Alfie_Packham

★★★ Watched by Alfie_Packham 06 Nov, 2014

A step backwards for Sacha Baron Cohen after more innovative comedies like Borat. While it's disappointing to see that the US has been let in on the satire, the gags themselves are still mostly funny.

• ronniejewell

★★★★★ Watched by ronniejewell 01 Nov, 2014

Sasha Baron Cohen is one of the biggest contributors to the idea of putting hidden messages inside of vigorous comedy films, that seem to serve no purpose at all aside from being comedic. He has done this in order to be entertaining to large audience, but also in order for him to spread his views and messages on current events in the world. This film focuses on two different major instances. It is comparable to the situation that the citizens…

• Breanna Justice

★½ Watched by Breanna Justice 01 May, 2012

I saw this with a boy I was dating named Alessio. Alessio had a really annoying laugh and thought this was a very funny movie.