• Bettina K.

Watched by Bettina K. 23 Jul, 2012

A friend of mine (who is a Disney fan, just like me) gave me a DVD with this movie and its sequel for my birthday, telling me they were so funny. I didn't really laugh at all. I almost felt like I was watching a Disney parody rather than a Disney movie. That's why I kinda felt "offended" by this movie - what were they thinking? Were they high when they made this?!
    Not even the fact that, in the…

• Conor Murnane

★★★★½ Added by Conor Murnane

With such an intense, troubled history, this could have easily ended up as yet another Arabian Knight-situation.

The result was one of the most clever, subversive Disney films of the '00s.

• GoodBadAndOdd

★★★★½ Rewatched by GoodBadAndOdd 12 Apr, 2014

BOOM, BABY!

An excellent Disney animated feature, this time going for the out and out comedy, and completely succeeding, and definitely funnier than the vast majority of comedies.

Hilarious characters and situations (I do love Kronk and his own theme tune, and his angel and devil moments), and even with all this, it has a lot (and I mean A LOT) of heart.

This just gets better and better with each watch.

• wildlark

★★★★ Rewatched by wildlark 03 Apr, 2014

The 2000s are generally looked on as a disappointing decade for Disney, and it's easy to see why. Michael Eisner's way of running the company was all about making a profit with very little understanding of the timelessness (and marketability) of the most successful Disney films, so there definitely is more of a Dreamworks-y quality to the movies that the company released during this period. And I like Dreamworks just fine, but Disney was never meant to make a biting…

• Charlie Spira

★★★★★ Rewatched by Charlie Spira 01 Apr, 2014

This movie is just as good, if not better, than I remember. Easily the best movie ever associated with the word "Disney," The Emperor's New Groove is unprecedented in style and content, breaking storytelling conventions I didn't know existed and delivering a message so profound that I have decided to abandon my college plans and move to Peru to start a llama farm. I have already adopted a three-footed llama named Pogo that fought in the Nicaraguan civil war. Although…

• jintor

★★★★★ Watched by jintor 30 Mar, 2014

Supremely entertaining. I'd always thought of it as one of Disney's lesser-knowns, but the visual gags were amazing, the voice acting was superb, and the writing was incredibly solid. Could've perhaps used more songs, but otherwise something no animation fan should miss out on.

• Kai

Watched by Kai 27 Mar, 2014

If only it didn't take such a crisis to make Disney this inventive and irreverent.
    I'd still love to see Empire of the Sun in addition to this. Too bad it's a zero sum game.

• Peter Strauss

★★★★ Watched by Peter Strauss 26 Mar, 2014 3

That time when Disney nuked the shark. That is, it gave the studio the shot in the arm it desperately needed, updating the fairy tale grand musicals to a more humble comedy. The humour is more along the lines of a zany Looney Tunes cartoon than anything Disney really did in the past, with lots of meta-humour, breaking the fourth wall, and joking about cliches and linguistics -- it's practically KISS KISS BANG BANG for the whole family. Of course,…

• Ryan Preston

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ryan Preston 25 Mar, 2014

"Oh, right. The poison. The poison for Kuzco. The poison chosen especially to kill Kuzco. Kuzco's poison. That poison?"

There are so many ridiculously hilarious quotes in this film, most of them delivered by Kronk (Patrick Warburton), that choosing a quote for the start of this review took longer than writing the actual review.

The Emperor's New Groove is criminally underrated, but it's among my favourite 21st century Disney films. Perfectly paced, with on-point laugh-a-minute humour, a well-written script and an engaging plot.

Kuzco is also my favourite Disney Princess.

• tiffany rosenqueen

★★★½ Added by tiffany rosenqueen

i hate to be that reviewer whos all "i watched this when high and" but i watched it high and it was the funniest shit

• Claire Gell

★★★ Added by Claire Gell

Pretty good. And:
    "Pull the lever, Kronk..... WRONG LEVEERRRRRRRR!!!!........"
    ...will always be hilarious.

• wfox

★★★★ Rewatched by wfox 22 Mar, 2014

The forgotten Disney classic.