• RRaja96

★★★½ Added by RRaja96

Maybe not a great movie... But it's a guilty pleasure and I take no shame

• Not David Lynch

★★★★ Watched by Not David Lynch 23 May, 2015

Remember in 2001 when it was a big deal that Shrek made a post-modern cartoon that played with the traditional narrative? Turns out they lost that race by a year. The Emperor's New Groove takes the general story of Aladdin, tells it from a different perspective, and then puts in various modern touches to make sure we understand the movie isn't taking itself too seriously.

Let's start with the fact that this is a Disney film set in an ancient…

• Mr. Knoll

★★★★★ Added by Mr. Knoll

By crafting a simpler, gentler story of burgeoning friendship in lieu of its usual romantic epicness, Disney has managed, here, to produce a no-holds-barred comedy masterwork while staying true to its ethos.

• Alex MacPherson

★★★★½ Rewatched by Alex MacPherson 21 May, 2015

"Don't tell me? We're about to go over a huge waterfall?"
    "yep"
    "Sharp rocks at the bottom?"
    "most likely"
    "Bring it on"

I have never laughed so much at a Disney animated film as I have "The Emperor's New Groove". It's absolutely hilarious, and definitely one of my favorite animated films of all time. David Spade who is usually hit and miss, smacks this performance way out of the park. His character is tailor made for his talents, and would…

• Chris Upson

★★★½ Watched by Chris Upson 20 May, 2015

establishes all its' characters so fast and so well, and they're all so great. john goodman carries his role fantastically. such a great bounce & verve to the movement of the whole thing. mostly a v predictable story for the characters to go through, tho. besides kronks' late-game turn, which is wonderful.

• Amanda

★★★★ Added by Amanda

evil llama

• Dominic Peters

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dominic Peters 12 May, 2015

Good as always.

• Sam

★★★★ Rewatched by Sam 11 May, 2015

While it's not my favorite Disney film, it certainly does have its moments. The characters are great, and there are some memorable scenes/jokes, but it definitely didn't hold up for me since the last time I saw it... nearly 15 years ago. Wow, I feel old.

• louisebelcher

★★ Watched by louisebelcher 05 May, 2015

Eh.

• Cappie Chamberlain

★★★ Watched by Cappie Chamberlain 02 May, 2015 2

I've said many times on Letterboxd that I didn't grow up on Disney Classics. I can't recall seeing any in my youth and as a result I don't have any nostalgic memories for them. I've found as I've worked my through the Disney Classics range as an adult that they are perfectly good films, with gorgeous animation, a keen sense of humour, their heart firmly in the right place and the right messages for kids to grow up on.

But…

• Ángela C.

★★★½ Watched by Ángela C. 25 Apr, 2015

Great sense of humor!

• moviemanwill

★★★ Added by moviemanwill

Upon revisit, I was surprised that a lot of the humor I loved as a child fall completely flat on its face. There's a lot of cheapness, frequently hack material. The saving graces here are really only Eartha Kitt & Patrick Warburton. The story doesn't hold up nearly as well either. Some inspired comedic animation doesn't stop this from being fairly forgettable. A shame.