• Gonçalo

★★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 24 Jul, 2015

The war scenes are beautifully filmed and the cinematography is first class, but the screenplay is too cheesy at some moments.

• Simon Harris

★★★½ Watched by Simon Harris 09 Jun, 2015

Could have spared us a few unnecessary lenghty rape scenes. We got that this was horrible, no need to hit us on the head. Some beautiful images though and well balanced script.

• Phil Newton

★★★½ Watched by Phil Newton 29 May, 2015

As the Japanese attack Nanking during WW2, mortician John Miller (Christian Bale) takes shelter in a church and finds himself having to protect a group of young convent girls and local brothel workers. Directed by Zhang Yimou, and inspired by real events and characters, The Flowers Of War is a sumptuous wartime drama that's clearly had a lot of money spent on it. It's not without its flaws, however it doesn't pull its punches and is quite moving in places.

• John Winters

★★ Watched by John Winters 25 Mar, 2015

I watched this for Christian Bale, but by the time the film was over I questioned why it was even his story to tell. I feel like there was probably a better central character that could've been the focus here rather than a white American. I wouldn't really recommend watching this.

• Akram Ben Dhia

★★★½ Added by Akram Ben Dhia

A powerful performance from Christian Bale.

• Zack Wallace

★★★★ Watched by Zack Wallace 05 Mar, 2015

How different would the world be today if we all just stopped and thought for five minutes about our actions?

• Lucas Rabelo

★★★★ Added by Lucas Rabelo

I loved this movie, but it's a little different of the zhang yimou's films. The Bale's performance was not so good to me, and the way how the christians and the nanjing massacre was showed was very interesting. To read my complete review about the movie, please acess www.asianocinema.com

• Robert Motherwell

★★½ Added by Robert Motherwell

Terribly overlong and deeply mishandled drama manages to come off just okay with a superb production design.
    Zhang Yimou is one of the best Chinese directors-but his efforts here feel either over done or underplayed.
    The story follows a western mortician who gets stranded in an orphanage with a group of young girls as well as a host of prostitutes.
    They're all trying to survive and hide from the Japanese during the rape of Nanking in 1937. A love subplot…

• Joe Baker

★★★½ Watched by Joe Baker 15 Feb, 2015

Strong effort from wonderful Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou about the attack on Nanking from a more personal angle than "City of Life and Death", which took the atrocity to a hyper-real action film level. This one looks at the survival of a group of schoolchildren within the confines of a church and their unlikely protector, drunk mortician Christian Bale. Moments of over-sentimentality exist, but "The Flowers of War" is largely a gut wrenching and visually poetic treatise on the brutality…

• Panta Oz

★★★½ Added by Panta Oz

I had a pleasure to watch this movie on the opening night in the International cinema in Suzhou after spending last two weeks in Nanjing, where all these events occurred (Nanjing Massacre happened on the 13th December 1937). The Flowers of War (金陵十三钗) is a war drama directed by Zhang Yimou, starring Christian Bale, Tong Dawei and Shigeo Kobayashi. The film, which is based on the novel The 13 Women of Nanjing by Geling Yan, has been selected as the…

• cinemagazine

★★★★ Watched by cinemagazine 08 Dec, 2014

"Ongemakkelijk, maar intrigerend. Moeilijk, maar mooi. ‘The Flowers Of War’ is een film die je niet snel uit je hoofd krijgt. Dit is een intense kijkervaring over een zeer pijnlijke geschiedenis."

• Bobby Edwards

★★★½ Added by Bobby Edwards

Wow!!! Such a great film and it has christian bale(batman) in it