• Matt Thomas

★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 26 Apr, 2016

Despite not having the vibrancy of Zhang Yimou's better known films, this is still visually striking. More Wong Kar-Wai in tone. Echoes of Schindler's List in story. One of Bale's more interesting performances.

• Charlie Derry

★★★★½ Watched by Charlie Derry 18 Apr, 2016

This was nothing like I was expecting it to be, and now I'm so frustrated that I put off watching it so many times. This film is absolutely beautiful.

• John Lees

★★★ Watched by John Lees 23 Apr, 2016

THE FLOWERS OF WAR is a quietly moving film, dealing with harrowing subject matter in the Rape of Nanking with sensitivity. It features some really strong, emotionally vulnerable work from Christian Bale.

• Ruobing

★★★½ Watched by Ruobing 10 Apr, 2016

I'm gonna be honest, at first, I hated it because I was predicting a white savior type movie and I despised Christian Bale's character. It says something about western society that there needs to be a white character in order to tell a moving story about a tragic event. The Nanjing massacre didn't happen so an audience could feel good about one white dude redeeming himself. In fact, as I'm typing this, I still dislike it a lot but I'm going to say that there was a lot to the film that I enjoyed besides Christian Bale's boring weirdo fetishizing character.

• Kyle

★★★★ Watched by Kyle 03 Mar, 2016

Like most of Yimou's films this movie is beautifully shot with great use of color. It's a little muted in this compared to some of his others due to the war scenery but he makes up for this by using an amazing stained glass window in several scenes.

I really enjoyed what he did with the language in this movie. Everyone speaks their native tongue unless they know another language and then they speak that to the people who know…

• Wen

★★★★★ Added by Wen

I was never bored because I was just sobbing of how Amazing this was

• Ben Larson

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Larson 30 Nov, 2015

The Flowers of War shows the miracles that can happen when people seek the well-being of others.

One of those mvies that allow us to see timeless truths on film.

• Angelsfeelings

★★★★½ Watched by Angelsfeelings 25 Nov, 2015 1

People who don't like this movie are robots.

• johnable32

★★★★ Rewatched by johnable32 08 Oct, 2015

A mixed bag of tragedy and humor bring this history based movie to high level enjoyment. Well done acting.

• Kyle McMahon

★★★★ Added by Kyle McMahon

This was one of Bale's more recent movies that isnt well known. I was shocked at how intense this movie was. Lots of real war brutality. Great overall movie

• Aurora Esterlia

★★★★½ Added by Aurora Esterlia

Another underrated movie, so beautiful history for native women really want to save this handsome man out to be killed.
    Hey, I'm just saying the truth. It's so tragic.
    I do really love the whole plot and great picture of the setting-up era. The ensemble casts so perfect that made our big man was so different but yet, he's a great actor that meant to be in this great movie.

• Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

★★★★★ Added by Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

One of my absolute favorite movies.
    The colors and cinematics are so stunning. Love the visuals and the sound editing, as well as the story.