• Kyle McMahon

★★★★ Added by Kyle McMahon

This was one of Bale's more recent movies that isnt well known. I was shocked at how intense this movie was. Lots of real war brutality. Great overall movie

• Aurora Esterlia

★★★★½ Added by Aurora Esterlia

Another underrated movie, so beautiful history for native women really want to save this handsome man out to be killed.
    Hey, I'm just saying the truth. It's so tragic.
    I do really love the whole plot and great picture of the setting-up era. The ensemble casts so perfect that made our big man was so different but yet, he's a great actor that meant to be in this great movie.

• Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

★★★★★ Added by Emil Grove Dencher Andersen

One of my absolute favorite movies.
    The colors and cinematics are so stunning. Love the visuals and the sound editing, as well as the story.

• Gonçalo

★★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 24 Jul, 2015

The war scenes are beautifully filmed and the cinematography is first class, but the screenplay is too cheesy at some moments.

• Simon Harris

★★★½ Watched by Simon Harris 09 Jun, 2015

Could have spared us a few unnecessary lenghty rape scenes. We got that this was horrible, no need to hit us on the head. Some beautiful images though and well balanced script.

• Phil Newton

★★★½ Watched by Phil Newton 29 May, 2015

As the Japanese attack Nanking during WW2, mortician John Miller (Christian Bale) takes shelter in a church and finds himself having to protect a group of young convent girls and local brothel workers. Directed by Zhang Yimou, and inspired by real events and characters, The Flowers Of War is a sumptuous wartime drama that's clearly had a lot of money spent on it. It's not without its flaws, however it doesn't pull its punches and is quite moving in places.

• John Winters

★★ Watched by John Winters 25 Mar, 2015

I watched this for Christian Bale, but by the time the film was over I questioned why it was even his story to tell. I feel like there was probably a better central character that could've been the focus here rather than a white American. I wouldn't really recommend watching this.

• Akram Ben Dhia

★★★½ Added by Akram Ben Dhia

A powerful performance from Christian Bale.

• Zack Wallace

★★★★ Watched by Zack Wallace 05 Mar, 2015

How different would the world be today if we all just stopped and thought for five minutes about our actions?

• Lucas Rabelo

★★★★ Added by Lucas Rabelo

I loved this movie, but it's a little different of the zhang yimou's films. The Bale's performance was not so good to me, and the way how the christians and the nanjing massacre was showed was very interesting. To read my complete review about the movie, please acess www.asianocinema.com

• Robert Motherwell

★★½ Added by Robert Motherwell

Terribly overlong and deeply mishandled drama manages to come off just okay with a superb production design.
    Zhang Yimou is one of the best Chinese directors-but his efforts here feel either over done or underplayed.
    The story follows a western mortician who gets stranded in an orphanage with a group of young girls as well as a host of prostitutes.
    They're all trying to survive and hide from the Japanese during the rape of Nanking in 1937. A love subplot…

• Joe Baker

★★★½ Watched by Joe Baker 15 Feb, 2015

Strong effort from wonderful Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimou about the attack on Nanking from a more personal angle than "City of Life and Death", which took the atrocity to a hyper-real action film level. This one looks at the survival of a group of schoolchildren within the confines of a church and their unlikely protector, drunk mortician Christian Bale. Moments of over-sentimentality exist, but "The Flowers of War" is largely a gut wrenching and visually poetic treatise on the brutality…