• Aetius925

★★ Added by Aetius925

Ughh...I love Aronovsky but this was a mess. It looks beautiful but the message is just awful! Just imagine an existential version of Crash and you know what you're getting.

• Richard Webber

★★★★½ Rewatched by Richard Webber 03 Feb, 2016

There are movies to which justice simply can't be done on a single viewing. When I first saw The Fountain, on its DVD release, I was titillated and confused. Titillated because it was extravagantly and thrillingly visual, confused because I struggled to bring its three stories into a digestible unity. I knew it needed to be seen again, but was put off firstly because it deserved a bigger screen experience, and then because life intervened. So to the backburner it…

• onemarathon

★★★½ Watched by onemarathon 30 Jan, 2016

Weird but beautiful. The Fountain wasn't quite what I expected. Then again, I didn't really know what I expected of this movie. Historical, fantasy/sci-fi, spiritual, drama... this thing is beyond genre. What is it?

Hugh Jackman does indeed deliver a great performance here. Rachel Weisz is fine, I guess. The leap-frogging of sequences from the 16th century Spanish Conquistadors in Central America to some fantastical monk-in-a-bubble-space-ship, to a modern-day medical drama.... it doesn't really add up, but I suppose with…

• Alex Johan

★★★★ Watched by Alex Johan 29 Jan, 2016 3

Aranovskys The Fountain is one of the most beautiful movies there is, and requires multiple viewings to truly be appreciated.
    I've seen reviews that say it's perfect and I've seen reviews that say it's a complete waste of time, and I think that sums it up perfectly because this film will resonate with people in completely different ways, this film is what you make it out to be.
    I'm certain that I'll see this film again and when I do I think my score will be even higher.

• Aaron

★★★ Added by Aaron

A lot going on in this one. Deep. Very emotional. Need to revisit.

• Alexander Båtsvik

★★★ Watched by Alexander Båtsvik 27 Jan, 2016

Aranofsky sure knows how to direct and make things visually appealing. And this movie is now exception, it just lack's something on the narrative end of things. Liked the score and end good tho.

• Sigfred Storstrand

★★★ Watched by Sigfred Storstrand 27 Jan, 2016

I didn't really invest myself enough to really understand most of it, but it looked pretty, beautiful music, fine cinematography and Hugh Baldman is exquisite as always.

• Austin Lawrence

★★★½ Watched by Austin Lawrence 27 Jan, 2016

Some concepts of this film went straight over my head, specifically the three separate timelines.However, I don't remember a film that literally forced me backwards in awe!!! I mean my body was physically pushed away from my laptop during the last 5 minutes of this movie.

Don't know if I'd watch it again as this feeling could only be experienced once.

Watch it and feel for yourself!!!

• Patrick Walsh

★★★ Watched by Patrick Walsh 26 Jan, 2016

This was not what I was hoping for.

Sorry Mr. Aronofsky, but all you have left me with after this film is the confirmation that high concept does not equal a good film.

I think this one probably looked better as a screenplay. The finale had me chuckling to myself; not the reaction I think they were going for.

I'll try it again someday and see if things change...

• caitlinmc

★★★★½ Watched by caitlinmc 28 Dec, 2015

This film had an interesting concept.

• liz jacobs

★★★★½ Watched by liz jacobs 24 Jan, 2016

This is such a fundamental film, I can't believe I've been putting this off for so long. From the topics of dying nebulas and stars to brain cancer to the futility of life -- this film is absolutely beautiful and it is everything. The symbolism and plot it contains, covers everything from death to life to love to loss to philosophy. The way the plot is divided and reconnected through imagery and certain symbols is absolutely extraordinary.

It's been a…

• SamCricket

★★★★ Added by SamCricket

Even though it's horribly sabotaged by Hollywood music, clean perfectionist false camerawork and Hugh Jackman, I will always love this kind of film.
    It's flawed, and at times tiresome to follow, but the moments of awe really carry one away. Such a moment is the tree of eternity that waves over humanity, hidden by God for a sacred purpose. To defy our obsessions, are attachment to life and thus free ourselves into eternity, awe and maybe even holiness.
    The Mayas…