• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Zach Stetson

★★★★ Watched by Zach Stetson 13 Oct, 2014

I didn't understand it all, but I felt it all... deeply!

• Matt R

★★★★½ Watched by Matt R 08 Oct, 2014

Possibly the quintessential film about human mortality, The Fountain boasts a highly intriguing and thought-provoking story that pulls at your emotions as much as your pre-frontal cortex. This level of story-telling backed by outstanding cinematography, beautiful acting, and a pitch perfect score, make The Fountain an unforgettable and timeless piece of art.

• John Winters

★★ Watched by John Winters 28 Feb, 2007

There are three paths through the film. Each tells a small part of a larger story: fantasy, reality, and meta-physicality. Each of them boring, predictable, and a little pretentious. Just not my cup of tea.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★½ Watched by Joe DiCanio 03 Apr, 2014

Rating: B

• BendePapi

★★★★ Added by BendePapi

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• fieldmouse

Watched by fieldmouse 25 Sep, 2014 18

Sixty in September: 40/60

Man eats ranch dressing, turns into flowers. Also, currents of sexism and racism so deep it tires me to even think about.

• John Riley

★★★★ Watched by John Riley 23 Sep, 2014

Beautiful film with a deeper message.

• Riccardo Angelynyrd

★★½ Added by Riccardo Angelynyrd

A little less conversation, a little more action please,
    All this aggravation ain't satisfactionin' me.

• David González

★★★★½ Watched by David González 14 Sep, 2014

MARAVILLYA. Es "complicada" (a nivel narrativo, visual, temático) pero no se pasa de pedante ni resulta demasiado literal. ¡Muy bien!

• Jonathan Wright

★★½ Watched by Jonathan Wright 11 Sep, 2014

Watching this film in 2014, I couldn't help but feel that at least parts of The Fountain feel dated (especially the "modern day" portion). This is not to pass judgement on the film's quality, but is only an observation.

For the most part, The Fountain is a well-put-together film, displaying a competency in Aronofsky's weaving together of the three situations. He brings these into focus with each slowly, allowing some time for confusion before the viewer has an understanding of…

• M.A. DeRuyter

★★★ Added by M.A. DeRuyter

Saw this a while back. I remember it being marketed as having a lot to do with time travel, but I found that it is remarkably more satisfying to interpret it as having nothing to do with time travel at all. Try it. I firmly think time travel is in no way essential to this film. It only complicates it. The "past/present/future" motif is fairly useful, but that doesn't have to mean "time travel" and I don't think it's literal. Great Hugh Jackman performance.