• acanac

★★ Added by acanac

not a huge fan of mindless trope

• Frozone

★★★½ Rewatched by Frozone 18 Apr, 2014

The film is visually astonishing but the story gets a little bit confusing.

• Al

★★ Watched by Al 15 Apr, 2014

Is this one of those films that is actually not as deep and meditative as it thinks it is or did I just not "get it"?

• Rian Mercer

★★½ Watched by Rian Mercer 15 Apr, 2014

The Fountain was a frustrating ordeal. Visually stunning and impressive in Aronofsky's daring vision. The symbolism had potential and the soundtrack was pleasant.
    The awe-inspiring moments of aesthetic bliss and transitions were the only moments that maintained my interest though. The plot was unnecessarily convoluted—the problem wasn't in complexities however, but that the symbolism was made too obvious with ham-fisted and unnatural dialogue, which gave me no empathy for the characters.
    This could've been brilliant with more subtlety and poise, and I'm left feeling frustrated by what could have been.

• Naughty

★★★★ Watched by Naughty 14 Apr, 2014 4

I found Darren Aronofsky's film to be a creative, compelling, poignant story of mans obsession with beating death! I was especially enthralled with the story his dying wife had written! And more importantly the journeys destination... the road to awe!

There is a strong fantasy element to it which may be off putting for some. But it truly adds to the film in my not so humble opinion! I feel I need to revisit this film because it was so…

• jimmystakadugan

★★★ Watched by jimmystakadugan 13 Apr, 2014

La verdad es que no me he enterado de mucho pero esas imagenes hipnoticas con esa banda sonora made in aranoski me han atrapado por completo.

• Neil McCalmont

★★★★ Watched by Neil McCalmont 11 Apr, 2014 1

Say what you will about Darren Aronofsky, you can't deny that he's a guy with a lot of interesting ideas. Whether you think those ideas are executed well is not important, the ideas are still there.

I don't think that this is Aronofsky's best film (that title has to go to Requiem for a Dream for me) but I definitely think this is his most interesting movie he's made.

I liked the non-chronological way in which the story was told.…

• Dan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Dan 11 Apr, 2014 1

Haven't seen "Noah," but Aronofsky's been on my mind. What better time to reassess his biggest flop, "The Fountain?"

Here's the thing, when I first saw it, I loved it. Rewatching now solidifies it for me as a significant work by a visionary director. It's gotten a second look from the critical community recently, but I'm baffled it wasn't championed on its release. Maybe it was too different from Aronofsky's first films and came after too long a break? Six…

• Alec Price

★★★★ Rewatched by Alec Price 06 Apr, 2014

The ambition of Aronofsky's sometimes brilliant, often baffling metaphysical depiction of love, death and grief far exceeds its reach, but what it lacks in cohesion is more than amply compensated by the depth of feeling. The film is like an open wound, and even it's most fantastic sequences - though brilliantly conceptualised and designed - can't match the raw, intimate power of the small moments between Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, who bring the kind of conviction to their roles required to make the film around them fully come to life.

• YingaGarten

Watched by YingaGarten 07 Apr, 2014

Boring, painfully dull, aesthetically ugly, pretentious load of shit from a director I've yet to see anything from that lives up to his lofty 'reputation'. Got two more films to go before I'm done with his filmography.

• Cody Lang

★★★ Watched by Cody Lang 06 Apr, 2014 4

Not that great but I really enjoyed it overall. Definitely feels unfinished and too short.

• Sean Summ

★★ Watched by Sean Summ 07 Apr, 2014

There were many points where I was really intrigued as to where it was going, but it just ended up tripping on it's own ambitions and falling flat. I hate society's overuse of the word 'pretentious' but....