• fieldmouse

Watched by fieldmouse 25 Sep, 2014 18

Sixty in September: 40/60

Man eats ranch dressing, turns into flowers. Also, currents of sexism and racism so deep it tires me to even think about.

• John Riley

★★★★ Watched by John Riley 23 Sep, 2014

Beautiful film with a deeper message.

• Riccardo Angelynyrd

★★½ Added by Riccardo Angelynyrd

A little less conversation, a little more action please,
    All this aggravation ain't satisfactionin' me.

• David González

★★★★½ Watched by David González 14 Sep, 2014

MARAVILLYA. Es "complicada" (a nivel narrativo, visual, temático) pero no se pasa de pedante ni resulta demasiado literal. ¡Muy bien!

• Jonathan Wright

★★½ Watched by Jonathan Wright 11 Sep, 2014

Watching this film in 2014, I couldn't help but feel that at least parts of The Fountain feel dated (especially the "modern day" portion). This is not to pass judgement on the film's quality, but is only an observation.

For the most part, The Fountain is a well-put-together film, displaying a competency in Aronofsky's weaving together of the three situations. He brings these into focus with each slowly, allowing some time for confusion before the viewer has an understanding of…

• M.A. DeRuyter

★★★ Added by M.A. DeRuyter

Saw this a while back. I remember it being marketed as having a lot to do with time travel, but I found that it is remarkably more satisfying to interpret it as having nothing to do with time travel at all. Try it. I firmly think time travel is in no way essential to this film. It only complicates it. The "past/present/future" motif is fairly useful, but that doesn't have to mean "time travel" and I don't think it's literal. Great Hugh Jackman performance.

• Christian Flemm

★★★★½ Watched by Christian Flemm 04 Sep, 2014

As convoluted and messy as the script is, everything does end up coming full circle in a way that hasn't really been done before (and my-oh-my does it look fantastic; Aronofsky needs to direct the Deus Ex: Human Revolution film...).

I loved the idea of "divine inspiration" and Hugh Jackman's search for enlightenment (and therefore immortality) throughout time. Speaking of which, is distorted so well in this film that one shouldn't need to question it. Like a lot of Eastern…

• Mel S

★★★ Watched by Mel S 03 Sep, 2007

Excellent visuals but not much more to it. Their "meaning" is a bit simple but it does get you thinking... about other stuff mainly.

• Bill Shannon

★★★★½ Added by Bill Shannon

it is a little dense at times? Yes. Is there melodrama? Oh you betcha. But this film from the great auteur Aronofsky has some of the most breathtaking and poetic scenes in any film I've ever seen. The minimalism that most of the film employs is offset by some scenes of stunning beauty and romance.

Jackman is a scientist hellbent on finding the cure for his wife's fatal disease. He struggles with the futility of death, as well as the…

• Barbara Henry

★★★★★ Added by Barbara Henry

Sorry, guys. This was nothing at all like a science fiction story about time-traveling. It was a meditation on grief, and it was gorgeous and difficult, encompassing all the stages therein, up to and exceeding acceptance. I wish I'd seen it in a theater to more fully feel Aronofsky's Road to Awe.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 03 Aug, 2008

Thematically ambitious and with a complex though somewhat meandering storytelling, The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky is a really good film nonetheless thanks to its breathtaking visual power, compelling performances, inspired direction, and evocative score. It's absolutely worth-watching.

• Simon Curry