• Nick Doucet

★★★★ Watched by Nick Doucet 04 Oct, 2015

Beautiful cinematography and an amazing Hugh Jackman performance. I don't think I completely understood everything, so I'll probably need to re-visit this one.

• derekwkim

★★★★ Added by derekwkim

I am one of those who loved the film. At it's heart, The Fountain is a science fiction love story which confronts the inevitability of mortality. I found it to be hard-hitting, rich, and beautiful.

My take on the ending was that Hugh Jackman's present-day character was able to find the cure to living forever. Obviously, this doesn't mean he can resurrect his already dead wife. Under this film's narrative, this can never be undone.

So he takes in…

• JohannesCheddar

★★★★★ Added by JohannesCheddar

Perfection in cinema

• JohnTyler

★★★★½ Added by JohnTyler

The Fountain is not only a complex, unique, and dazzling story of life, love, death, obsession, eternity, and spirituality but also the most underrated film from writer/director Darren Aronofsky, with breathtaking visuals, superb performances from Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, stunning cinematography, compelling symbolism and themes, and a rousing score from Clint Mansell.

• CurateGrace

★★★★½ Added by CurateGrace

i thought about the story and cinematography long after viewing.

• TOSD

★★★★★ Watched by TOSD 21 Sep, 2015 24

• This is by far the most gorgeous, transcendental and engrossing love story I’ve ever seen
    • There are so many fantastical elements surrounding the eternal mystery that is life and death and Darren Aronofsky makes it all seem grounded in reality with the way he connects both the mythical and real world
    • You will struggle to grasp everything that is happening at first, but then you eventually realize how intimate and subtle this whole journey is

• Sean Geraty

★★★★★ Added by Sean Geraty

• mbritt1

★★★½ Added by mbritt1

Difficult movie to figure out how to rate. Definitely does not live up to all the ideas it tries to introduce. Also, believes it falls apart (if that's even possible) at the end. But fascinating imagery, interesting metaphysical themes stand out in this one.

• Joseph Henderson

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Henderson 11 Sep, 2015

Hugh Jackman is iffy.

• SaltyTheBeast

★★★½ Rewatched by SaltyTheBeast 12 Sep, 2015

So. "The Fountain."

Nearly a decade ago (geez, has it really been that long?), this film was released to savage critical reception, with many writers and journalists calling it a colossal failure and quickly damning director Darren Aronofsky as a once-talented has-been who had successfully swallowed his own tail. Really? "The Fountain" is the one that broke all the critics? I think it's pretty good. To be fair, yes it's tonally uneven, yes it slips into…

• Richard Goddard

★★★½ Watched by Richard Goddard 10 Sep, 2015

- Beautiful, haunting and totally mesmerising, but a bit of a mess, and Darren my friend, please give the sepia tone a rest, it's ugly as hell.

• Ordinair