• Ian Buckwalter

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 03 Aug, 2011

Read my DCist review.

• Lucciano Vezina

Watched by Lucciano Vezina 30 Jun, 2014

I could understand this is trying to be a different film, but The Future is just a total fail in Independent cinema and there are no characters to relate to. The narration was really unnecessary since the narrating is coming from a cat. Not only could I not relate to the characters, but they were so unrealistic. I find it terribly funny that the couple in this film exact same haircuts. The Future is just really pitiful film to that's not even worth your time watching not even close to renting it.

• redrkr

★★★★ Watched by redrkr 31 Oct, 2012

Let's start with the metaphor portion of this film, because it's the most captivating. Even if it is on screen for less than 10 minutes. Paw-Paw is a stray cat. Injured, old, dying. The couple who've found it has decided to adopt it. But they can't take him home until the cast comes off in one month. So Paw-Paw, from his cage at the shelter, narrates to the audience his hopes and dreams. Of finding a safe and loving home.…

• Luis de los Santos

Watched by Luis de los Santos 06 Jun, 2014

WTF.

• ジェイソン

★★★★½ Rewatched by ジェイソン 02 Jun, 2014

touching and misunderstood. does for quirk what THE COMEDY does for irony. an idiosyncratic and self aware dig at living through a thick layer of quirkiness to the point of having an empty personality. i.imgur.com/KlXe3Ry.jpg

praise be to Miranda July.

• Bob R.

Watched by Bob R. 11 May, 2014

Deep, dark, depressing dreck. If the idea behind The Future is to make you feel bad about your own personal clock ticking down, then well done Miranda July. Well done. I can't imagine anyone ever watching this twice.

• robert_holly

★★★½ Added by robert_holly

Apocalyptic.

• Addis Pérez

★★½ Watched by Addis Pérez 16 Mar, 2011

Not a review, just an anecdote: I was the very last person allowed inside for the screening I attended. The only seat available was in the front row, far right. It made for an awful viewing experience :(

• Ben

½ Watched by Ben 17 Apr, 2014

Ok so although I watched this purely out of morbid fascination, I really didn't want to once again be one of THOSE users that just blindly follows Adam and Dirk's opinion. The Future got a generally favourable response from critics and other sites like Mubi generally liked it and even Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 out of 4. So I went in with an open mind and before the movie started (note before I actually witnessed any of the movie)…

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

Like Kaufman for the 25-35 demographic, with little bubbles of nihilistic truth encrypted in all of July's whack-a-mole subterfuge. The coding isn't nearly as brilliant, but it suits my state - a fear of time, of people missing the message, of the one you love. Obligatory hipster interests aren't as relatable - IPADS and YouTube making their presence felt in the first minute, and we can't forget the genuine terror that overcomes Linklater's mug when July informs him that the Internet is going out in a wee bit.

• kylegarvey

★★★★ Added by kylegarvey

Miranda July's sophomore feature after 2004's ME & YOU & EVERYONE WE KNOW, her 2011 film, is a cute, very promising touch of philosophy. Sometimes laughably stupid, other times broader and more interesting… "Maybe something profound"… always quietly, deliciously weird and magical.

A couple, together bumping into crises of identity -- Sophie (Miranda July) and Jason (Hamish Linklater) -- face being 35 years old, when you should (shouldn't you?) have your life sorted out. They plan to adopt Paw Paw, an injured cat with an absurdly wise-sounding croak and an eerie self-awareness.

• Bob Hovey

★½ Watched by Bob Hovey 07 Mar, 2014

Stupefyingly self-indulgent film from director (and star) Miranda July about a very strange couple who decide to "fix" their relationship by adopting a terminally-ill cat (who narrates portions of the film). In the month that passes before they can pick up the cat from the vet, the prospect of cat ownership and its attendant responsibility causes them to experience an existential crisis that involves job-changing, infidelity, abortive attempts to dance, clueless self-examination and, as if all that were not enough,…