• John Connor

★★½ Watched by John Connor 17 Nov, 2011

A frustratingly mixed bag, when 'The Future' was working it was a tender, sad little movie about the disintegrating relationship between two aimless, child-like 30-something hipsters. When it didn't work, it was ... an obnoxious, annoying movie about the same two hipsters. How you react to the main characters will dictate how you react to this film, I think, and I was only able to put up with them to a certain point.

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 16 Sep, 2014

Been wanting to see this for awhile but was hesitant because I assumed it would be overwhelmingly twee. I mean, a cat narrator!?

Turns out, it's a bit twee as it's about aimless 30 something's selfishly "finding" themselves but the quirkier elements are surprisingly engaging. The cat is great.

Kind of drips with melancholy and best suited for people in relationships that can't seem to get it together.

• joeyyy

★★★ Watched by joeyyy 06 Sep, 2014

I really like how Miranda July, represents artists. In both this and her first feature she plays a kind of failed (failing?) artist and these characters are so spot on in their patheticness. Which seems like a good way for a really successful artist with an incredibly diverse practice to express their insecurities.

Anyway, The Future is not as funny as Me, You & Everyone we know and so sometimes the twee stuff is a bit much. The creepy stuff is…

• ReedRothchild

★★★½ Watched by ReedRothchild 24 Aug, 2014

This is an odd, odd film that does little to hide its performance-art origins. Miranda July fits her own material like a glove (and she is seriously odd) while Hamish Linklater is gives a solid performance worthy of his co-star and this universe. Despite its oddness, this film nonetheless has enough going on to make it worthwhile - putting aside the cat narrator, the time-freezing and the interpretive dance (all of which are legit awesome)- - there is some beautiful emotional truth about reconciling your present with the future you want. Embrace the oddness, this is not just quirk for quirk's sake.

• Michael

★★ Watched by Michael 22 Aug, 2011

Teeters a back and forth between engaging and annoying but, despite some marvelous segments, ultimately lands more on the annoying side. Not so much so that I wouldn't give another Miranda July movie a try, though.

• Mauricio Xavier

★★★★★ Watched by Mauricio Xavier 23 Jul, 2014

The beginning is so simple. Two relatively lame jobs, responsability in the horizon, and aging. That's all it takes.

This movie shares the Frances Ha thesis, which proposes that growing up is the sort of thing that gets harder the better you try to be at it. The moment they face what's ahead of them with a deep fear, most everything else is par for the course. The big difference between their roles is the figures to which they turn…

• Ian Buckwalter

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Buckwalter 03 Aug, 2011

Read my DCist review.

• Lucciano Vezina

Watched by Lucciano Vezina 30 Jun, 2014

I could understand this is trying to be a different film, but The Future is just a total fail in Independent cinema and there are no characters to relate to. The narration was really unnecessary since the narrating is coming from a cat. Not only could I not relate to the characters, but they were so unrealistic. I find it terribly funny that the couple in this film exact same haircuts. The Future is just really pitiful film to that's not even worth your time watching not even close to renting it.

• Nik

★★★★ Watched by Nik 31 Oct, 2012

Let's start with the metaphor portion of this film, because it's the most captivating. Even if it is on screen for less than 10 minutes. Paw-Paw is a stray cat. Injured, old, dying. The couple who've found it has decided to adopt it. But they can't take him home until the cast comes off in one month. So Paw-Paw, from his cage at the shelter, narrates to the audience his hopes and dreams. Of finding a safe and loving home.…

• Luis de los Santos

Watched by Luis de los Santos 06 Jun, 2014

WTF.

• nosaj

★★★★½ Rewatched by nosaj 02 Jun, 2014

touching and misunderstood. does for quirk what THE COMEDY does for irony. an idiosyncratic and self aware dig at living through a thick layer of quirkiness to the point of having an empty personality. i.imgur.com/KlXe3Ry.jpg

praise be to Miranda July.

• Bob R.

Watched by Bob R. 11 May, 2014

Deep, dark, depressing dreck. If the idea behind The Future is to make you feel bad about your own personal clock ticking down, then well done Miranda July. Well done. I can't imagine anyone ever watching this twice.