• Ben

½ Watched by Ben 17 Apr, 2014

0.2

Ok so although I watched this purely out of morbid fascination, I really didn't want to once again be one of THOSE users that just blindly follows Adam and Dirk's opinion. The Future got a generally favourable response from critics and other sites like Mubi generally liked it and even Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 out of 4. So I went in with an open mind and before the movie started (note before I actually witnessed any of the…

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

Like Kaufman for the 25-35 demographic, with little bubbles of nihilistic truth encrypted in all of July's whack-a-mole subterfuge. The coding isn't nearly as brilliant, but it suits my state - a fear of time, of people missing the message, of the one you love. Obligatory hipster interests aren't as relatable - IPADS and YouTube making their presence felt in the first minute, and we can't forget the genuine terror that overcomes Linklater's mug when July informs him that the Internet is going out in a wee bit.

• kylegarvey

★★★★ Added by kylegarvey

Miranda July's sophomore feature after 2004's ME & YOU & EVERYONE WE KNOW, her 2011 film, is a cute, very promising touch of philosophy. Sometimes laughably stupid, other times broader and more interesting… "Maybe something profound"… always quietly, deliciously weird and magical.

A couple, together bumping into crises of identity -- Sophie (Miranda July) and Jason (Hamish Linklater) -- face being 35 years old, when you should (shouldn't you?) have your life sorted out. They plan to adopt Paw Paw, an injured cat with an absurdly wise-sounding croak and an eerie self-awareness.

• Bob Hovey

★½ Watched by Bob Hovey 07 Mar, 2014

Stupefyingly self-indulgent film from director (and star) Miranda July about a very strange couple who decide to "fix" their relationship by adopting a terminally-ill cat (who narrates portions of the film). In the month that passes before they can pick up the cat from the vet, the prospect of cat ownership and its attendant responsibility causes them to experience an existential crisis that involves job-changing, infidelity, abortive attempts to dance, clueless self-examination and, as if all that were not enough,…

• BillyStevenson

Watched by BillyStevenson 05 Mar, 2014

Miranda July’s second film is just as haunting and melancholy as her debut. Originally titled Satisfaction, it’s about a couple in their mid-thirties – Sophie (July) and Jason (Hamish Linklater) – who decide to cement their relationship by adopting a stray, injured kitten named Paw Paw, who narrates the film, and is voiced by July. They’re given one month to get their lives in order while Paw Paw is recovering at the vet, and it quickly comes to feel like…

• Paolo Carone

★★★★★ Added by Paolo Carone

"Dear persons, I am writing this to you, a letter with no pencil, so I hope that you are able to read it. By day, I know I am yours, but when night comes, I am alone and always have been and always will be wild, so it is only the sun that returns the wonderful feeling of being pet again. Please come soon. Nights are getting longer."

• Carlos Laron

Watched by Carlos Laron 28 Feb, 2014

Profound but pretentious. Mysterious but ultimately does nothing for me. The two leads look like siblings for lovers honestly.

P.S: If it wasn't for Hamish I wouldn't have watched this!

• Jonas Danielsson

★★★½ Watched by Jonas Danielsson 03 Nov, 2013

Miranda July doesn't hold back when it comes to making her films quirky. This might infuriate some, make some eyes hurt from rolling and prevent others from engaging in the film. But I did not have that problem this time. I think it's because there is quirk and quirk. This one is not the kind that can cause me a light nausea and start to mumble about Wes Anderson wannabe. In fact, in this film the quirk has a disquieting…

• alexanderveee

★★★ Watched by alexanderveee 20 Jan, 2014

The Future (2011)
    6.4
    1/20/14
    Netflix\1080p
    D: Miranda July
    W: Miranda July
    DP: Nikolai von Graevenitz (1.85:1 / Digital ( Red One))
    C: Jon Brion

• Joseph Brown

★★★ Watched by Joseph Brown 16 Jan, 2014

Don't watch if you have a particular emotional fondness for cats.

The Future starts off well - inspired, funny even. Then it spirals into a melancholy that it never crawls out of.

• nosaj

★★★★½ Rewatched by nosaj 14 Jan, 2014

2 quirk 4 me

cat speak lol

write on shoes lol

wrong movie

lol fuck miranda july amirite?

• Chris Vallée

★★★ Watched by Chris Vallée 11 Jan, 2014

An obtuse indie comedy that fused strangely relatable moments of woeful self-doubt with awkward science fiction hilarity. The intermitted segments of banter from 'paw-paw' the cat, were simultaneously adorable and creepy. The ending was rather unsatisfying and overly ambiguous, but overall the movie was a rather fun watch.