• Vonne Patiag

★★★★½ Rewatched by Vonne Patiag 05 Dec, 2014

The Future has that melancholy charm, balancing a mundane portrayal of existence mixed with some dream-realism. The time-stopping and chat with the moon in particular are very Murakami-esque, but it's a nice meditation on what it means to age and a refreshing attitude to love.

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• Zach Skov

Added by Zach Skov 3

...I enjoyed the cat's narration...

• Chris Monks

★★★ Added by Chris Monks

The half stars this film is receiving from many viewers here are more ridiculous than the film itself. The Future is funny and cute...and a bit ridiculous.

• karamashi

★★★★ Added by karamashi

I don't take life serious enough to shit on Miranda July and her films.

• Eduardo Insaurriaga

★★½ Watched by Eduardo Insaurriaga 20 Sep, 2014

Bem difícil de definir. O filme possui diversas facetas, que parecem que vão dar o tom do restante da história, mas que é completamente subvertido no momento seguinte. Se você procura um filme redondo, onde tudo faz sentido e a narrativa seja simples, fuja deste! Porém, se tiver interesse em poesia, confusão de emoções e detalhes que sugerem possibilidades, sinta-se em casa. Mesmo sem entender muito bem onde o filme queria me levar, ele está lotado de elementos que me…

• John Connor

★★½ Watched by John Connor 17 Nov, 2011

A frustratingly mixed bag, when 'The Future' was working it was a tender, sad little movie about the disintegrating relationship between two aimless, child-like 30-something hipsters. When it didn't work, it was ... an obnoxious, annoying movie about the same two hipsters. How you react to the main characters will dictate how you react to this film, I think, and I was only able to put up with them to a certain point.

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 16 Sep, 2014

Been wanting to see this for awhile but was hesitant because I assumed it would be overwhelmingly twee. I mean, a cat narrator!?

Turns out, it's a bit twee as it's about aimless 30 something's selfishly "finding" themselves but the quirkier elements are surprisingly engaging. The cat is great.

Kind of drips with melancholy and best suited for people in relationships that can't seem to get it together.

• joeyyy

★★★ Watched by joeyyy 06 Sep, 2014

I really like how Miranda July, represents artists. In both this and her first feature she plays a kind of failed (failing?) artist and these characters are so spot on in their patheticness. Which seems like a good way for a really successful artist with an incredibly diverse practice to express their insecurities.

Anyway, The Future is not as funny as Me, You & Everyone we know and so sometimes the twee stuff is a bit much. The creepy stuff is…

• ReedRothchild

★★★½ Watched by ReedRothchild 24 Aug, 2014

This is an odd, odd film that does little to hide its performance-art origins. Miranda July fits her own material like a glove (and she is seriously odd) while Hamish Linklater is gives a solid performance worthy of his co-star and this universe. Despite its oddness, this film nonetheless has enough going on to make it worthwhile - putting aside the cat narrator, the time-freezing and the interpretive dance (all of which are legit awesome)- - there is some beautiful emotional truth about reconciling your present with the future you want. Embrace the oddness, this is not just quirk for quirk's sake.

• Michael

★★ Watched by Michael 22 Aug, 2011

Teeters a back and forth between engaging and annoying but, despite some marvelous segments, ultimately lands more on the annoying side. Not so much so that I wouldn't give another Miranda July movie a try, though.

• Mauricio Xavier

★★★★★ Watched by Mauricio Xavier 23 Jul, 2014

The beginning is so simple. Two relatively lame jobs, responsability in the horizon, and aging. That's all it takes.

This movie shares the Frances Ha thesis, which proposes that growing up is the sort of thing that gets harder the better you try to be at it. The moment they face what's ahead of them with a deep fear, most everything else is par for the course. The big difference between their roles is the figures to which they turn…