• ecspiegel

★★ Watched by ecspiegel 29 Nov, 2015

I know and recognize this film as a classic and important piece, but I just couldn't get into it. I found some parts funny and some of the action was unique but overall I found the film to be kind of dull.

• Devin Sheridan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Devin Sheridan 21 Nov, 2015

Watched this with some friends who have never seen a Buster Keaton film. Kind of mesmerizing how accessible these are.

• Arka Sengupta

★★★★ Watched by Arka Sengupta 29 Nov, 2015

Classic Keaton

• Karl Hungus

★★★★ Watched by Karl Hungus 27 Nov, 2015

It's really unbelievable that this movie flopped when it was first released, and at the same time signified the end of Buster Keaton's cinematic independence. Today, The General is regarded as Keaton's magnum opus, it's regarded as the peak of his craft. And now, I absolutely know, why.

This movie is the paragon for the using of slapstick comedy. There are so many great laughs in it, and nearly every time, it is Johnny Gray, played by Buster Keaton, who…

• Aidan Sears

★★★★★ Watched by Aidan Sears 26 Nov, 2015

welp, my first keaton. realized i needed to get into him after tony zhou's video about him. and damn i've been missing out.

he's a master of physical comedy and physicality in general. his face conveys so much melancholy and underdogness that he's the perfect protagonist for a movie like this. it's such a perfect one-against-the-world kind of story and he plays it so well.

will be catching up with the rest of his features and shorts in the weeks to come.

• A_lonely_grape

★★★½ Watched by A_lonely_grape 26 Nov, 2015

First of Buster Keaton's I've seen, and certainly won't be the last.

• Craiggers

★★★ Watched by Craiggers 24 Nov, 2015

I can see why this picture is highly regarded as one of the best silent movie comedies. There are plenty of dangerous looking stunts (performed by Buster Keaton himself), some great action scenes, and a heavy dose of Keaton's straight-faced humor. But I couldn't help but feeling bored about halfway through the picture. Maybe I'm a guy who just needs some wordplay to enjoy, but I have a hard time staying interested in silent movies with few exceptions.

• Henry

★★★★½ Watched by Henry 23 Nov, 2015 1

The action and comedic gags here are unparalleled, and they're accompanied by fun performances and great music. Almost all of the train chases I've ever seen must have taken inspiration from this, because so many of the stunts were familiar, and yet so much more real and impressive than the imitators.

• sambartz

★★★★★ Added by sambartz

Simply outstanding. The precision and scope of this film are truly astonishing, but there's also enough humor in the underdog story to keep casual viewers attached. This film is a historical landmark and worthy of any cinemaphile's deepest admiration.

• paul

★★★★½ Added by paul

My first Buster Keaton film!
    Good stuff.

• CureTap

★★★★ Watched by CureTap 22 Nov, 2015

I wasn't expecting to like this quite as much as I did. What a delightfully dopey farce. What kind of madman would crash an actual train to make his movie?

• Zach

★★★★½ Watched by Zach 21 Nov, 2015

The General - 3.5/4

Movie Magic. Mesmerizing entertainment. Buzz words like these are really the only way to summarize the feeling one gets when watching the flow and giddiness of Keaton's films. That final bridge scene is phenomenal. This film features some of the greatest real stunts ever. Pretty much awestruck by some of the things this man performed and the countless times he risked his life for his movies.

On another note: "Why didn't you enlist?!" "I don't want to talk to you until you're in a uniform"

What a bitch...She doesn't deserve Keat...uh, Johnnie.