• Shaun Michael

★★★★ Watched by Shaun Michael 31 Jul, 2015

The stunts are innovative, creative and a miracle for 1926. But it lacks the usual Keaton charm. And the whole Union as the "bad guys" was a bit awkward.

• Marcus Sølvberg

★★★★ Watched by Marcus Sølvberg 31 Jul, 2015

The General is nothing extraordinary, it's a simple, forward story of a train getting stolen and a man wanting to prove his bravery.
    It's fun, simple and very charming. i was chuckling the whole way through, oddly engaging, and left me whit a grin on my face by the end.

• Mike D

★★★★ Watched by Mike D 27 Jul, 2015

Clyde Bruckman's First Repose

• Jake Anderson

★★ Watched by Jake Anderson 24 Jul, 2015

Srry to be a contrarian, but The General, first and foremost, is utterly boring. Perhaps I would've benefited the original cut rather than the bloated 1:47 one, but the comedy flat out didn't work, I perceived no charm whatsoever, and there doesn't even seem to be much originality. The story is comparable to pirates meet the damsel and distress narrative. There's a good helping of not only misogyny, but general sexism (the protagonist's lover doesn't see him as honorable until…

• thori

★★★ Watched by thori 24 Jul, 2015

Im Zuge von MAD MAX: FURY ROAD habe ich immer wieder von diesem Stummfilmklassiker gehört und gelesen...
    Und tatsächlich: Die Verfolgungsjagden mit Dampflokomotiven aus dem Sezessionskrieg machen THE GENERAL zum wahrscheinlich besten Film seiner Ära den ich jemals gesehen habe, auch wenn das eine durchaus überschaubare Anzahl an Streifen ist.
    Unglaublich viele originelle Ideen und für seine Zeit technisch und dramaturgisch phantastisch umgesetzt. Gut man muß für die zahlreichen, für die Zeit typischen, Slapstick-Einlagen Verständnis aufbringen aber wenn einen das…

• Xplodera

★★★★ Watched by Xplodera 20 Jul, 2015

“There were two loves in his life”

Buster Keaton’s classic The General isn’t really a movie to watch for its story, but for some high-octane action comedy. The film’s only real flaws lies in the thin plot, Keaton’s vaguely platonic relationship to his fiancée Annabelle never makes Annabelle much more than a simple damsel in distress and Keaton’s unexplained eager to go out in war to murder Yankees is quite morally arguable.

Luckily, the movie never puts much weight into…

• Not Dave Kehr

Added by Not Dave Kehr

Buster Keaton may have made more significant films, but The General (1927) stands as an almost perfect entertainment. Keaton is a locomotive engineer in the Civil War south whose train is hijacked by Union spies; his attempts to bring it back become a strangely moving and very funny account of man's love for machine. Marion Mack is the girl, who can't quite compete.

• Bennett Malcolmson

Watched by Bennett Malcolmson 15 Jul, 2015

Quick fire reviews to help me catch up: Buster Keaton is a genius and so is The General. It's truly a marvel of cinema, and still hilarious after all these years. Chaplin's still my man though.

• lcgrant03

★★½ Added by lcgrant03

I saw this film as part of a music festival where the music was played live with the film. Wonderful experience.

• Mr. Knoll

★★★★ Added by Mr. Knoll

The General could be described as the Avatar of the 1920s: they're both mostly empty, simplistic movies on a narrative level that nonetheless satisfy by coasting on sheer, perfectly-executed "wow" factor. The only things Keaton's film really has over Cameron's are that 1) it's funny and 2) it hasn't yet been forgotten.

• Katherine Cavanagh

★★★½ Watched by Katherine Cavanagh 16 Jul, 2015

Funny, enjoyable and easy to watch. Reminds me I need to see more Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin.

• Wirbelwurm