• ghoststark

★★ Watched by ghoststark 16 Jul, 2014

Lacks the style of Chaplin's uproarious films, while simultaneously being a real chore to watch. The brown color palette is extremely off-putting, and really coats this film in a layer of aesthetic flatness that kept me at arms length. The set-pieces are so bland, and lack imagination. I can't even remember a moment in the film that made me laugh. There is a tedium that set in around minute 20, that sadly never left me for the remainder of the film.

• Joseph Brown

★★★★ Watched by Joseph Brown 06 Jul, 2014

Great comedy.

• Victor Volchenko

★★★★ Watched by Victor Volchenko 02 Jul, 2014

Хоть мне очень понравился "Генерал" Китона, но я не мог не сравнивать этот фильм с "Sherlock, Jr" (1924) от того же Китона. А Шерлоку Генерал уступает к не крути - нету той же неожиданности, элемента сюрприза и легкости. Не смотря на это, все так же присутствует оригинальная операторская работа и экстравагантность Китона.

• Sean Sexton

★★★★ Watched by Sean Sexton 14 Nov, 2013

Great Keaton classic with Keaton shining through as a truly lovable character in hilarious situations.

Good: Great comic train-chasing-train sequences. Lots of action to go with the slapstick.

Bad: A little confusing at times trying to figure out which guys are North vs. which South.

Rating: 8.5 / 10 (Great)

• feedingbrett

★★★★ Watched by feedingbrett 27 Jun, 2014

Review In A Nutshell:

Before this film, I have never seen a full length feature film from Buster Keaton and The General would only mark as the second silent film I have seen in my life. I came into this film thinking I may possibly not enjoy it as Keaton never truly made an impression on me when I was younger. It was always Chaplin that comes into my mind when someone brings up the topic of films in the…

• Avalanche

★★★★ Watched by Avalanche 21 Jun, 2014

While I didn't find this the laugh-a-minute roller-coaster comedy extravaganza that some people do, I still found it hugely entertaining. If you don't want view it as an all out comedy, I still found it works quite well if viewed as a template for the modern blockbuster. There are some pretty gripping action sequences interspersed with humour and a love story. Rather than structure the action around comedic set pieces, the comedy is based on the action. Indeed, so is…

• Luke Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Luke Ryan 29 May, 2014

Buster Keaton movies never fail to impress me. Whether it's masterfully staged stunts that wow and make me laugh, Buster's impeccable comedic timing, or innovative special effects, I'm always left thinking: "that man was a genius." As an actor and director in most of his feature films, he had a tremendous amount of talent. The General optimises all of these things. It's so rare that I will see a film and be able to not only say it's simply one…

• Chris Jensen

★★★½ Watched by Chris Jensen 15 Jun, 2014

My first Buster Keaton film. A simple story, made remarkable by BK's charisma and physical comedy gifts. In addition, the cinematography is at times superb.

I'm also left impressed once again by just how many extras films used in those days. A seemingly endless supply.

• Autumn Faust

★★★★ Watched by Autumn Faust 08 Jun, 2014

An obvious Spielberg influence (the vehicular setting and resulting insular narrative recalls Duel especially), this is one of the tightest, most thrilling silent films. Essentially a pure string of equally potent setpieces, most tense, comedic and technically impressive, as Keaton always is, the film functions extremely well even brainlessly. Its ultra-crisp structure lends itself to subtexts rooting themselves in blind ambition and tunnel vision, a conceit a film with this setting desperately needs in order to work.

This is because,…

• moviegrande

★★★½ Watched by moviegrande 13 Jun, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Alex Krajci

★★★ Rewatched by Alex Krajci 12 Jun, 2014

1926's The General Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like It Because It's Turning 90 Years Old In 2016.

• Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel

★★½ Watched by Rembrandt Q Pumpernickel 11 Jun, 2014 2

Doesn't have the things that bothered me in other Buster Keaton films yet still I was not truly entertained. At this point, I simply throw my hands up in frustration because I have no idea what's going on.