• Christian

★★★★★ Watched by Christian 21 May, 2015

What a piece of wonder O.O!!!

• Steve Austin

★★★★★ Rewatched by Steve Austin 21 May, 2015

As I suspected, this is one of the best films to pair with MAD MAX: FURY ROAD - rapid forward momentum of the action, clear geographical chaos, great vehicular destruction, unusual characters and such a terrific yarn.

• Cadj

★★★★★ Added by Cadj

Don't know if you know this or not but that Buster Keaton guy was pretty good.

• •antivist•

★★★★★ Added by •antivist•

Buster Keaton's The General is in my opinion the greatest film the silent era ever saw. Rarely do films ever pack such raw energy and vibrance into them yet The General does it effortlessly. At this point I have seen every Buster Keaton film and this is without doubt his best while also being his most famous. Most film enthusiasts have at least heard of it and most have seen it (I hope) yet his other pictures are barley recognised,…

• theresapham27

★★★★½ Added by theresapham27

one of the greatest silent films for me. Buster Keaton is his usual comedic self, he can make you laugh with his facial expressions alone. this movie has a simple story-line about a man's love for his train; which is perfect for this type of comedy. it's very easy to follow, and just generally an enjoyable hour and a half to spend. the soundtrack that was added by the distributor was also wonderful (for those who like classic instrumental music). i highly recommend it to people who enjoy Charlie Chaplin or of course, Keaton's other films.

• Sam Burgess

★★★★½ Watched by Sam Burgess 13 May, 2015

It amazes me how such such a great comedy film can be made without the use of spoken dialogue. It feels like most modern films of the genre rely on dick jokes told by characters. But back in 1927 Buster Keaton could only rely on visuals to express a gag.

But Buster Keaton was perfect for the job. In The General, Buster Keaton writes, co-directs and stars as the lead character Johnny Cash. Keaton is perfect in the role as…

• Mike A.

Watched by Mike A. 12 May, 2015

Good times. I love Keaton's screen presence: the mixture of stiffness and clumsiness, the blinkered purposefulness, the pallid face with its tiny range of subdued expressions. The send-up of macho standards here is great, and the ending instance of Gray saluting while kissing sums up the story's paradoxes nicely and, of course, unpretentiously. When he gets carried off on the revolving train pistons, it's a vision of contemplation that's as moving as it is funny. Some of the gags are pretty misogynistic but, for whatever reason, they got the biggest laughs at the screening I attended--and I chuckled too, I admit. Sorry!

• Kyle Hoover

★★★★★ Watched by Kyle Hoover 10 May, 2015

Wow this was great, so funny!

• Justin Morales

★★★★½ Added by Justin Morales

Action comedy doesn't get much better than Buster Keaton. There is so much action and silliness going on in The General that it's hard to keep up. It has everything you'd expect in this sort of light-hearted chuckle fest. It has also grown up to be a silent movie classic. This is the type of film where praise must be paid out in equal measures to its star and the brilliant film-making. Some might even say that this is Buster…

• zach parker

★★★ Rewatched by zach parker 09 May, 2015

- still funny

• Joshua David

★★★★★ Watched by Joshua David 25 Apr, 2015 1

What a fun movie. A masterwork of visual comedy that flies by. I won't be so cliched as to say that "it's silent, but you won't even notice." But I will say, it's silent and you won't even care. It wouldn't work with sound - it's perfection with a piano soundtrack.

• Katherine Bolinger

★★★★½ Watched by Katherine Bolinger 27 Apr, 2015

My favorite silent film thusfar.