• Stephenpbreeze

★★★★ Watched by Stephenpbreeze 21 Oct, 2014

Critics aren't wrong when they say The General is the height of silent comedy. An outstanding movie with production values light years ahead of its time

• Sarfaraz Abbasi

★★★★½ Added by Sarfaraz Abbasi

Buster Keaton, what an awesome film, silent films are gem. Buster Keaton gives a wonderful performance in this highly excellent story, truly a fabulous and enjoyable.

Loved the Bridge scene, conspiracy meeting scene, as well as beginning scene of Buster at ticket-line

• Riley Shingler

★★★★ Added by Riley Shingler

The era of silent film was the time of some of the greatest comedians of all time. Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and the comedic duo of Laurel and Hardy are legends in cinema and they can still elicit laughs from practically anyone almost a century after their heyday. Perhaps the greatest of all these comedians, and certainly the biggest daredevil, was Buster Keaton.

Keaton, who was world famous for his death-defying stunts and gags, is most famous for his classic…

• Matthew Hodgkin

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Hodgkin 06 Oct, 2014

I can appreciate for its time its insane. It has some set pieces and some ideas that are revolutionary, the camera paves the way for modern car chase movements and its entertaining in the most. The civil war struggle and the whole plot winds from interesting to just not caring, yes its lost something with the two or three generation gap thats between us but hopefully I can look at it and Keaton and appreciate them for what they were, rathe than what it is now.

• Connor Denney

★★★★½ Watched by Connor Denney 03 Oct, 2014

The General does not top Sherlock, Jr. in its slapstick wildness, but what can? It features Buster Keaton as a wannabe soldier who fights against the North in the Civil War for his homeland, but more importantly, for the woman he loves. With some great gags and a fun story, this is a highly entertaining work, if not so shockingly phenomenal as Sherlock, Jr.

• Timcop

★★★★★ Rewatched by Timcop 01 Oct, 2014 1

i like when the trains go

• Timmy Semenza

★★★★★ Added by Timmy Semenza

I've seen this movie several times, but I remember the first vividly: It was the end of my sophomore year at UConn, and I had completed all my finals. I was merely waiting for the last days to peter out so I could be picked up by my parents from school.

The particular day I watched this film was a very rainy one indeed, and I scarcely left my dorm the entire day. To pass the time, I watched a…

• Michael

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael 28 Sep, 2014

Orson Welles called THE GENERAL "the greatest comedy ever made, the greatest Civil War film ever made, and perhaps the greatest film ever made."

It's among my very favorite movies.

• FrEaken

★★★★½ Added by FrEaken

I just love Keaton.

Almost as much an action movie as a comedy, and it's great at both.

Love the bridge explosion, as well as the whole final sequence where Keaton gets more and more annoyed at his sweetheart because she's so unhelpful at manning the train.

• Danny Schick

★★★★ Watched by Danny Schick 21 Sep, 2014

My local indie theater was showing this with a live orchestra, so I couldn't pass it up.

It's a lot of fun, surprisingly quick and nimble for being made in 1926 and just straight up funny. It's only the second silent film I've seen, but halfway through I forgot it was silent. It's just that good.

• Franco

★★★★★ Watched by Franco 20 Sep, 2014

Finally saw THE GENERAL (and on the big screen with live musical accompaniment.)

It definitely lived up to the hype. Funny and great pacing. I knew it was gonna be kinetic but it's pretty much a full-fledged action film.

The place was packed and people were super into it. One of my best moviegoing experiences of the year.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been said a million times before.

• Rich Dolt

★★★★★ Watched by Rich Dolt 21 Sep, 2014

If you're looking to delve into silent films, The General is a great place to start. This is such an amazing film and definitely worthy of being on the list of the greatest films of all time. Buster Keaton is spectacular in this as he is in all his other films that I've seen so far.