• Carter A

★★★½ Watched by Carter A 26 Jun, 2016 6

yeah buster you go get the filthy union

• Alex

★★★½ Watched by Alex 26 Jun, 2016 1

My first silent film, and I won't soon forget it. Very funny, and well paced. The 78 minutes flew by and was quite enjoyable. I definitely look forward to seeing more Buster Keaton films (and Charlie Chaplin, for that matter!)

• willmsfilms

★★★ Watched by willmsfilms 21 Jun, 2016

Chaplins better but I appreciate Kearons wackiness

• Ryan Rosendal

★★★★ Added by Ryan Rosendal

Holy crap, Buster Keaton fights on the side of the Confederacy! Great movie though.

• Pek Mi

★★★★★ Watched by Pek Mi 01 Jun, 2011

I mean, it's a classic, so...

• sam schulte

★★★★½ Watched by sam schulte 15 Jun, 2016

most likely wrong, but this feels like the blueprint for modern blockbuster moviemaking. buster himself is a physical miracle. also sports some beautiful landscapes to boot.

• Noah

★★★★ Watched by Noah 13 Jun, 2016

Since silent films often Don't seem to move the camera unless necessary (like for a train chase). Buster Keaton makes use of his characters movement to tell the story, make us laugh or create tension (instead of the camera).

He uses action. He relies solely upon it, because their is no score, no Diolauge (none spoken), no camera movement, no color storytelling, no nothing. Just very specific framing, blocking, and acting.

Creativity out of restrictions. If you want to learn…

• Hannah

★★★★½ Rewatched by Hannah 22 Aug, 2014

Buster Keaton was the king. The king of the silent era, the king of action and comedy in the genre, and the king of stunts. He’s the master, I mean he’s known for his iconic stunts (grabbing on to a moving car, having the frames of houses fall on him, jumping roof to roof, and of course, any of his stunts involving a train). Watching him work stops your heart, makes you hold your breath, and then burst out in…

• Darren Carver-Balsiger

★★★★½ Watched by Darren Carver-Balsiger 13 Jun, 2016

A fun adventure with brilliant physical comedy and two of the best movie chases of all time.

• Ken Rudolph

★★★★ Watched by Ken Rudolph 11 Jun, 2016

This is a classic 1926 Buster Keaton silent comedy that somehow I had never watched before. It was presented with an amazingly pristine B&W print and a wonderful new symphonic score (complete with orchestral "sound effects" and familiar American folksong motifs) by Studio Ghibli composer Joe Hisaishi. I was impressed by the sheer scope of the Civil War production...cast of thousands of men and horses, vintage trains. The slapstick comedy seemed a little antiquated; but occasionally struck my funny bone.…

• Jacob

★★★★ Watched by Jacob 13 Jun, 2016

Although I didn't love this as much as I loved 'Sherlock Jr.', 'The General' is still a fantastic comedy that will cheer you up no matter how down you are.
    Keaton > Chaplin

• Sean Gilman

★★★★★ Rewatched by Sean Gilman 11 Jun, 2016 1

SIFF advertised this as featuring a new score by Joe Hisaishi. They played the Robert Israel score.

Still a great movie though.