• Russell Limprecht

★★★★★ Watched by Russell Limprecht 04 Sep, 2015

It kept my attention from the start to finish. I rated it 29 of 742.

• Kyle Sykes

★★★★★ Watched by Kyle Sykes 15 Aug, 2015

Now I decided to try something from Buster Keaton, and it's one of the best decisions I ever made. My experiences with silent films have gotten better since the first one I watched (Pandora's Box), that's for sure.

That was very fun to watch!! While again, it wasn't laugh out loud funny (aside from one moment where a soldier ends up with the blade of a sword in his back. It's complicated), watching the antics of Keaton and Mack, and…

• Paddy Walker

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Walker 31 Aug, 2015

Outdoor Cinema Screening, Dartington, Totnes.

Beyond words, really.

• Nick

★★★½ Watched by Nick 25 Aug, 2015 1

for a movie of its time, its advanced set pieces and hugely amusing gags more than live up to its ambition, but there's something puzzling about how thoroughly unsubtle this insists on being, despite having the best excuse of all to not have to over-explain its plot: being literally incapable of verbally doing so.

• Walker King

★★★½ Watched by Walker King 22 Aug, 2015

The Confederate sympathizing in this film has aged... poorly. I don't think it really edges Steamboat Bill Jr, for me.

• Alex

★★★★★ Watched by Alex 22 Aug, 2015

Keaton perfects the hapless hero in The General.

A straightforward there-and-back-again plot, but embedded throughout with brilliant stunt-work, masterful comedy and jaw-dropping set pieces.

Mad Buster: Fury Railroad

• Brian Stack

★★★★★ Added by Brian Stack

Johnnie Gray (Keaton) is not allowed to sign up for the Confederate cause because he's too valuable as a train engineer. Mistaking this for cowardice, his girlfriend, Annabelle Lee refuses to see him.

When Union soldiers steal Johnnie's train, he chases them on foot, handcar, and boneshaker bicycle. After he sneaks into their camp and overhears the Union plan for a surprise attack, he's chased by Union soldiers as he races back to warn his platoon.

Because of Gray's heroics,…

• bowiecoen

★★★★ Added by bowiecoen

One of the funniest parts of this movie is that, even after the end, you know that the main characters are going to lose the war in a few months. (and some of them probably own slaves!)
    All kidding aside, this is one of the most charming films ever made. Hilarious, deft, masterfully-acted by one of the greatest American comedians.

• Joel Vered

★★★½ Watched by Joel Vered 12 Aug, 2015

Great visuals with funny moments, but a bit overacted. Strongly reccomended for any fan of cinema.

• Willowaelfin

★★★★★ Added by Willowaelfin

One of the great masterpieces of silent comedy.

• sagestacy

★★★★ Added by sagestacy

One of the first silent films i have seen fully through. I enjoyed the scenery and the new taste in film, something i would not usually watch

• joshcurtis