• Sami Abdul-Razzak

★★★★★ Watched by Sami Abdul-Razzak 13 Feb, 2016

The two train sequences in this film are pretty amazing. Buster Keaton displays such skill and confidence to pull of those intricate gags. Doesn't have the heart-tugging aspect of Chaplin's City Lights, but in terms of spectacle its really great.

• guythebored

★★★★½ Watched by guythebored 12 Feb, 2016

Se il sito 400 calci fosse esistito sotto forma di settimanale cartaceo ben rilegato 90 anni fa, questo sarebbe stato il loro Mad Max/comedy (imo). Forse il primo film "calcistico" della storia? Sarebbe interessante chiederlo a Nanni Cobretti & Co.

• Michelangelo Mendez

★★★★★ Watched by Michelangelo Mendez 13 Feb, 2016

This was my first Buster Keaton film and, among others, a classic to the cinema world. I believe greatly that one can never go wrong with this ADVENTUROUS, laugh-out-loud SILENT COMEDY; fused together with never-ending ACTION sequences that will keep you at the edge of your seat till the last frame. I speak, of course, of Clyde Bruckman and Buster Keaton's 1926 masterpiece, THE GENERAL.

I found this film on Kanopy Streaming Service, where they have a pretty good selection…

• Gabriel Guimarães

★★★★½ Watched by Gabriel Guimarães 12 Feb, 2016

One of the best action comedies ever - made 90 years ago. Brilliance does not age.

• Bobby LePire

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bobby LePire 10 Feb, 2016

Arguably, Buster Keaton’s most famous movie. “The General” still holds up today not only as a great comedy, but in its efficient and simple storytelling. Keaton is as affable as he’s ever been, and his dedication to the set pieces and pratfalls is impressive.

Those set pieces are funny, but more than that, they serve a narrative purpose. The constatnly falling logs for steam is hilarious, the iconics sitting on the wheel bit, and so on- all excellent and timed well.

It is a silent movie, but don’t be fooled. It is an almost ageless and enjoyable movie that everyone should see.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 11 Feb, 2016

To save me from some light googling, how did they film that scene where the bridge collapses with the train on it? That looked quite real...

• Pandora 4

★★★★ Watched by Pandora 4 08 Feb, 2016

Unfortunately my enjoyment of this wonderful film was marred slightly by the dubious choice of background incidental music on the DVD version I saw. There were only 3 or 4 musical tracks that were used over and over again throughout the film. They didn't even fit what was happening on the screen. Way too much Vivaldi's 4 Seasons.

So it's a great film, but make sure when you watch it that there's fitting music in the background.

• Scott Lineberg

Watched by Scott Lineberg 08 Feb, 2016

My first movie in my quest to finish watching the movies I own. Only having seen a couple of silent (or mostly silent) films before this, it was actually my first Buster Keaton movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I had seen some of the stunts from this movie previously, but it didn't take away from how impressive of a physical actor and stuntman Keaton was. Much prefer his more subdued manner than the quirkiness of Chaplin's Little Tramp. And his dead pan stares are killer.
    I definitely look forward to seeing more of Keaton's works.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Hilarious and essential. Buster Keaton wrote the book on deadpan comedy and stunt work and should be seen by all cinephiles.

• Ryan

Watched by Ryan 07 Feb, 2016

Did you get that?

Shit.

• Myles Couch

★★★ Added by Myles Couch 3

Now that's a set piece! Not as snappy as Sherlock Jr. but still a lot of fun.
    Anyone know why Keaton is fighting for the South?

• framptonhollis

★★★★½ Added by framptonhollis

A spectacularly epic comedy with tons of amazing scenes throughout.