• Brett Doze

★★★★★ Watched by Brett Doze 02 Dec, 2016

Buster Keaton was the master of interweaving great physical comedy with thrilling suspense. This film is pretty much a long chase scene with romance, role reversals, and the Civil War as the background. Even at 90 years old, this film makes me laugh audibly and ensures an entertaining good time. I like silent films overall, but there's something really special about the comedies. It's something that just cannot be replicated today. Keaton was a stoic master of the cinema, and…

• Noah Marger

★★★★ Watched by Noah Marger 02 Dec, 2016 2

There's just a lot of jokes and the music was awesome. I watched this for a research project in which I'm gonna compare and contrast the artistic and aesthetic similoaries and differences in comedies during the silent era and with sound. It feels like I had to watch this for school, but it was pretty good.

• Carlos Magalhães

★★★★★ Added by Carlos Magalhães

A true classic in every sense of the word, hysterically funny like few others and featuring some of the most exciting locomotive chases ever filmed, as well as an epic-scale production, a beautiful score and a cinematography in sepia that feels like a travel in time.

More reviews on filmotrope.com

• Sheldon Farough

★★★★ Watched by Sheldon Farough 21 May, 2016

This is such a fun silent movie. There are so many fun scenes and Buster Keaton is so great at his stunt work that each little action part is really impressive when you think about the work that went into it. The flirtation scenes are fun and I found the scenes where he put on disguises to be fun too (unless I'm mixing this up with another movie?) But overall this is a pretty great silent film. A little boring maybe at times to a modern audience (myself included) but there is still plenty of enjoyment that can be had with this one.

• filmusicinemike

★★★★ Added by filmusicinemike 3

Buster Keaton should be a household name in the community but it's rarely mentioned. Seeing this makes me pissed off about that.

Anyone here a big fan of Bob Dylan? He's making his way i tommy too 5 artists.
    1. Sinatra
    2. Dean Martin
    3. Johnny Cash
    4. Bob Dylan
    5. S&G

• Shoombo

★★★★★ Added by Shoombo

One of the earliest action movies still holds up

• Lord Auch

★★★★½ Watched by Lord Auch 23 Nov, 2016

ok, ça c'est drôle.

ps: Marion Mack is one fine pre-1930 babe. That flirty gagging/kissing bit got me going (for better or for worse).

• Emily Wheeler

★★★★ Watched by Emily Wheeler 22 Nov, 2016

A true blend of genres, this action/comedy/romance has become one of Buster Keaton's most enduring films. There's little question why. The gags are both intricate and daring, the action builds to a grand scale, and the romance powers the film from beginning to end.

Even when the film stuffs in a few more gags than needed, Keaton's expressive but not overwhelming body language keeps all attention firmly on a film that was perhaps too complex for its time.

• Mette

★★★★½ Watched by Mette 22 Nov, 2016

Scavenger Hunt #20 - November 2016 | Film #26
    Task #7: A film that you would be willing to spend $ 50 / € 50 / ¥ 5600 to see it on the big screen for the first time

To think that this is 90 years old, only two years younger than my grandmother, is so fascinating for me to think about. I find it incredible how they managed to do all this nearly 100 years ago.

This was my…

• Iulia

★★★★½ Watched by Iulia 18 Nov, 2016

This is truly Buster Keaton's masterpiece.

And (in the version I watched) Joe Hisaishi did a great job in rescoring.

• David_Bautista

★★★½ Added by David_Bautista

3.6

• Not Pauline Kael

Added by Not Pauline Kael

One of Buster Keaton's most celebrated comedies. It's a classic and many people swear by it, although it isn't funny in the freely inventive way of his STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928). Its humor is too drawn out for laughter. And yet it has a beauty: it has the shape of comedy. The time is the Civil War. Keaton plays a shy railroad engineer on a steam engine called The General. He wrote the script and directed, in collaboration with Clyde Bruckman. The girl is Marion Mack. Silent.