• vanslater

★★★★ Watched by vanslater 24 Jun, 2010

• emmmmily

★★★★ Watched by emmmmily 19 May, 2016

the original mad max: fury road

• drescon

★★★★ Watched by drescon 17 May, 2016

I was pretty surprised to see that The General wasn't a success in the 20s. While the story could be fairly repetitive at times, it was largely fun to watch.

• nashattack

★★★★½ Rewatched by nashattack 14 May, 2016

My admiration for this film and the people involved in making it borders on worship but I simply cannot fathom the guts it would have taken to attempt half the stuff in "The General".

The stunts are still hugely impressive 90 years later and Buster's minimalist acting choices are surprisingly modern and perfect for his brand of deadpan comedy.

• DarknessLingers

★★★★½ Watched by DarknessLingers 14 May, 2016

Buster Keaton had a face fit for film. There is a magnetic quality to that melancholic expression, and he maintains it throughout every situation, whether it be joyous, perilous or disastrous. But Keaton was also a filmmaker, and though The General is the first of his features that I’ve seen, I can tell that his eye was an immaculate one. Let’s be honest: this is an incredible achievement for its time. The beautiful intermixing of wide and medium shots brings…

• Xavier

★★★★½ Watched by Xavier 11 May, 2016

A brilliant film.
    Keaton is a genius.

• Corley Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Corley Johnson

Slapstick done right before melissa mccarthy and kevin james ran it too the ground.
    if you have never seen silent movie this is a great stared point

• Craaw

★★★★½ Added by Craaw

Some poorly-paced gags, but besides that, this is a comedy classic.

• Introspector

★★★½ Added by Introspector

Pre-Letterboxd

• Matthew Roberts

★★★★ Watched by Matthew Roberts 08 May, 2016

Honestly so much funnier and even more exciting than I imagined it would be it's a shame the second half isn't as good as the first but this really is a very charming film.

• Fitzers227
  • James Sansom

★★★★ Watched by James Sansom 04 May, 2016

Keaton's action comedy has in many ways aged wonderfully. The stunt work on display here is dazzling and still deserves to be envied by any would-be actioner. Witness Keaton clambering over a speeding locomotive or throwing pylons around. Keaton is a special effect who has only ever been rivalled by Jackie Chan. What he pulls off by himself is unbelievable. This film can't help but feel authentic. Its reality is what has kept it feeling so fresh.

Beyond that Keaton…