• Alex Harrison

★★★½ Watched by Alex Harrison 27 Sep, 2016

This was probably a bad film to watch this early in my Keaton career, because in all honesty, this is barely a silent comedy. Instead, it feels more like Keaton wanted to make a grand war epic, but for one reason or another left in some of his trademark slapstick humour. To the film's credit though, this works really well,as the more comedic moments help balance the tension of the train chase and the action of the combat scenes, to…

• Em

★★★★ Watched by Em 27 Sep, 2016

Buster Keaton's biggest production is also his best. Maybe not quite laugh-out-loud funny in this day and age, but still every gag is very amusing and there's not a dull moment. Keaton is hands down the master of slapstick.

• Corey B

★★★★½ Watched by Corey B 25 Sep, 2016

Keaton is a marvel of physical comedy. For some reason, my favorite gag is him shoving his future wife into a bag so he can secretly load her onto a train. Just watching him bumble and stumble over her is worth the admission. Also, that train bridge collapse puts most modern movie special effects work to shame.

• Tim Leggoe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tim Leggoe 25 Sep, 2016

A masterpiece. Obviously. Although it's always surprising how many films from this era portray Union soldiers as villains.

• Julius

★★★★★ Rewatched by Julius 24 Sep, 2016

This really needs to be seen on the big screen, which I did. Saw so much more this time.

• Porkins

★★★ Watched by Porkins 19 Sep, 2016

• Gavin Bard

★★★★★ Watched by Gavin Bard 21 Sep, 2016

Film #4 of Smiler Grogan's September 2016 Scavenger Hunt
    Task 4/30: A silent comedy

"If you lose this war don't blame me!"

While it pains me to admit this on a website full of film aficionados, my knowledge and interest in cinema begins to wane as the further back I go from the New Hollywood era. This is mostly because I find large majorities of what happened during the "Golden Age of Hollywood" when the studio system had its iron…

• NSlater90

★★★★½ Watched by NSlater90 21 Sep, 2016

A pretty fun chase movie that some how manages to turn the chase on it's head half way though and not loose any of it's impact. Buster Keaton plays the accidental hero who unintentionally outwits a group of men with far greater number than just himself.

I did think that the laughs were a little less frequent than I'd perhaps expected, but then given your working with a feature length film you a. don't want to burn out on slapstick…

• Ingen

★★ Watched by Ingen 20 Sep, 2016

Our 2016 Movie Challenge
    September - Silent Films
    # 55

Likes - The entire sequence from when Billy  hides under the table to where he and Annabelle sleep in the woods was clever and entertaining.

Dislikes - There was a disconnect between the visuals (which made the movie seem like a Western) and the setting (which, I believe, was in the South). I found much of the movie tedious and Buster Keaton was unconvincing as a leading man.

• Ben Elder

★★★★ Watched by Ben Elder 19 Sep, 2016

Classic! Got to hear Hollywood Theater's new score which was fantastic!

• Joyce Heinen

★★★★★ Watched by Joyce Heinen 18 Sep, 2016

Film # 10 of the "Scavenger Hunt # 18" Challenge
    Task # 26: A silent action movie
    letterboxd.com/joyceheinen/list/scavenger-hunt-18-september-2016/ ___________________________________________________________________
    Who would have thought that I would love “The General” as much as I did? The dry humor, a beautiful love story and a clumbsy leading character. All together works. And the film has amazing stunts and action too, somethine I didn’t expect at all.

Buster Keaton is one of the masters of the silent movie. He plays Johnny Gray, an…

• Edwin Davies

★★★★★ Rewatched by Edwin Davies 17 Sep, 2016

It's been so long since I last watched this that I'd forgotten everything apart from the stunts and jokes involving the trains. Those are the indisputable highlights, if only because their mix of precision and genuine danger set it apart from everything except the work of Jackie Chan.