• Todd Gaines

★★★★½ Watched by Todd Gaines 31 Aug, 2014 25

Them Yankee spies picked the wrong choo choo train to steal in this Buster Keaton classic. Hot date. A gentleman always tips his cap to a lady. Kodak moment. Dixie Land. Trickeration. The way Buster shakes his head. Wheel rider. Slick sideburns. Buster's bow tie. Bootleg rail car. Real motherfuckers ride big pimpin' bicycles. The baddies scare me. I bet they sound menacing. Gag a ho'. Buster has fantastic hair. Cannonball motherfucker. I don't think too many actors today would…

• Steve Sharrot

★★½ Watched by Steve Sharrot 30 Aug, 2014

Well I fell asleep in the last 10 minutes. To say the least it doesn't hold up very well but it's humorous and good at what it's supposed to be.

• cronic

★★ Watched by cronic 24 Aug, 2014

4/10

These movies don't work for me, 88 years to late

• Paul 7String

★★★★★ Watched by Paul 7String 17 Aug, 2014

It's hard to believe that a silent movie made in 1926 has more action, thought, stunts, drama and laughs then some of the crap made since 1970.

This is truly a great film made by a man who cared about making a great movie.

• Steve Rogers

★★★★½ Watched by Steve Rogers 12 Aug, 2014

This movie is 18 on the 2007 version of AFI Top 100 American Films and rightfully so. Doing his own stunts, and there are some dangerous moments, the Great Stone Face entertains us on so many levels. Yes there are his trademark slap stick moments, but there are clever moments throughout the film.
    It is based on an event that happened in 1862 during the Civil War.

• Matt Heckler

★★★★ Watched by Matt Heckler 10 Aug, 2014

Silent comedies are a tough sell for me. They rely so much on sight gags that usually do nothing for me, but that's an unfortunate restriction of the medium. I watched The General because of it's favorable position on "best of all-time" lists, and specifically because I noticed on Hulu shortly after seeing it on Roger Ebert's Great Movies list. Although I don't think it's a masterpiece of film like other critics and filmmakers do, there is certainly a ton…

• goldfleck

★★★½ Added by goldfleck

Really quite amusing! I watched it with a symphonic background, but I think it would hold up without the music.

• James Utley

★★★★½ Watched by James Utley 07 Aug, 2014

Another silent film icon is Buster Keaton, who directs and stars in this film. Set during the civil war, The General is about an engineer who loves both his train, The General, and a woman called Annabelle Lee. Jonnie (the engineer) tries to enlist to fight but is rejected as he is more useful as an engineer, yet he and everyone else (including Annabelle) think he is a coward. After Annabelle and The General are stolen, Jonnie goes to reclaim…

• BrianLinn

★★★★ Watched by BrianLinn 09 Jul, 2014

Buster Keaton’s “The General” is a massively scaled action comedy set during the Civil War. Desperate to impress a young woman, Johnnie Gray (Keaton) decides to join the Confederate Army. Unfortunately, he is deemed too valuable as a train engineer to serve. When Northern troops steal Gray’s beautiful engine, “The General”, and kidnap his girl, it is up to him to retrieve both. What follows is a crazy stunt filled spectacular, shot in the foothills of the Cascades in the…

• Runcil Rebello

★★★★ Watched by Runcil Rebello 28 Jul, 2014

My first classic movie on the big screen.

I've just recently gotten into Buster Keaton. 'Sherlock, Jr.' was my first watch and what struck me that his moviemaking involved a lot of magic tricks. Conversely, this movie does not involve "tricks", at least not as many as 'Sherlock, Jr.' It has a straighter narrative but is it still insane! Such fluidity in the stunts and it flows so well with the slapstick humour. I'm sure my Keaton enthusiasm won't stop here.

P.S.: Does Keaton have a brilliant poker-face or what!

• ReCreation

★★★★ Watched by ReCreation 27 Jul, 2014

Die Hard on a train was way better then Die Hard on a plane.

• Alex Krajci

★★★ Rewatched by Alex Krajci 27 Jul, 2014

1926's The General Is One Of My Favorite Films, I Like It Because Logan And Yan Were Born The General Was 69 Years Old In 1995.