• Omar Almulla

★★★★★ Watched by Omar Almulla 25 Aug, 2016

Thank you Buster Keaton for this unforgettable masterpiece.

The General perhaps is the best movie to date to blend Action with Comedy. Neither overshadows the other. The whole train chase is an attractive breath-taking spectacle.

• Harry J. Ford

★★★★ Watched by Harry J. Ford 07 Mar, 2016

A-.

• Louis Hill

★★★★★ Rewatched by Louis Hill 23 Aug, 2016

MAGIC.

• elzastory

★★★★★ Watched by elzastory 14 Aug, 2016

Par šo nav ko gari izteikties - vienkārši brīnišķīga un neatkārtojama. Patīk, ka filmā par amerikāņu pilsoņu karu ir tik daudz humora :) Paldies arī K-Sunim par īpašo iespēju šo filmu noskatīties dzīvās mūzikas izpildījumā. Ja tai būtu skaņa - tā būtu tieši tāda! Iesaku no visas sirds :)

• Lindsay

★★★★ Watched by Lindsay 15 Aug, 2016

As soon as Buster Keaton pulls the trick of letting the children out the door, closing it behind them and scooting back to his seated sweetheart. I knew I was in good hands. Keaton is so understated, espcially compared Chaplin. Plus the amount of planning and architecture that must have gone into those train stunts - holy cow.

• Joshua Correll

★★★★½ Rewatched by Joshua Correll 12 Aug, 2016

Watched at Hollywood Theatre with a brand new live score. The music was good, but it didn't match the movie. They leaned a bit too hard into the folk sound, and not enough into the action-comedy sound.

• Lucas Simão

★★★★★ Watched by Lucas Simão 07 Aug, 2016

Uma passada cômica, passional e leve sobre a guerra civil. O motor do Keaton (e sua paixão) se tornam o Cinema em movimento.

• Julia

★★★★½ Watched by Julia 04 Aug, 2016

The Summer Of Directors Challenge: #17 Buster Keaton

This is my very first silent movie ever watched, and believe me, I am impressed. I could almost question my choices on why I didn't get to these kind of movies earlier.

The cinematography is so simple, but so rich in script, even if there's no voice at all, it flows, it's steady and it's just brilliant.

Buster Keaton does a great acting and direction job.

Worth watching.

• Stu

★★★★★ Watched by Stu 05 Aug, 2016

What Buster Keaton didn't know about train-based tomfoolery isn't worth knowing. But there's more to this film than slapstick and stunts on board steam engines (though that's not to diminish any of that at all...it's all excellent and funnier than reviews at the time suggested). This film is still the kind of spectacle we can marvel at today, the mirror-like structure is interesting and I like how The General tries to be all things to all people: romance, action film, war film, underdog story, chase movie, comedy, historical epic.

Also...Keaton was amazing.

• stevenedwards

★★★★ Watched by stevenedwards 04 Aug, 2016

Some incredible set pieces, a straightforward but effective story and lots of humorous physical gags by Keaton make this one of the better silent films I've seen. It was the first one that I saw that had absolutely no sound, and that definitely threw me off at the beginning and took a while to adjust.

• Robert Cullen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Robert Cullen 03 Aug, 2016

It's still kinda crazy that this movie was a bit of flop when it was released. You would think that if nothing else it would have been a hit because of what a spectacle it was. But also, it's funny.

• ludditerobot

★★★★ Added by ludditerobot

Keaton's masterpiece has come to represent the culmination of his sensibility, the lasp gasp of his independent work before his catastrophic alliance with MGM and steady slide into alcoholism, curious obsession with solitaire, and eventual anonymity in an industry he helped build, only recuperated by legions of cinephiles a generation later.

The General rests on an uncomfortable narrative, but one typical of the times. Based on a real-life incident, popularly retold in an 1863 novel titled The Great Locomotive Chase,…