• Bobby LePire

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bobby LePire 10 Feb, 2016

Arguably, Buster Keaton’s most famous movie. “The General” still holds up today not only as a great comedy, but in its efficient and simple storytelling. Keaton is as affable as he’s ever been, and his dedication to the set pieces and pratfalls is impressive.

Those set pieces are funny, but more than that, they serve a narrative purpose. The constatnly falling logs for steam is hilarious, the iconics sitting on the wheel bit, and so on- all excellent and timed well.

It is a silent movie, but don’t be fooled. It is an almost ageless and enjoyable movie that everyone should see.

• An Angry Bear

★★★★½ Watched by An Angry Bear 11 Feb, 2016

To save me from some light googling, how did they film that scene where the bridge collapses with the train on it? That looked quite real...

• Pandora 4

★★★★ Watched by Pandora 4 08 Feb, 2016

Unfortunately my enjoyment of this wonderful film was marred slightly by the dubious choice of background incidental music on the DVD version I saw. There were only 3 or 4 musical tracks that were used over and over again throughout the film. They didn't even fit what was happening on the screen. Way too much Vivaldi's 4 Seasons.

So it's a great film, but make sure when you watch it that there's fitting music in the background.

• Scott Lineberg

Watched by Scott Lineberg 08 Feb, 2016

My first movie in my quest to finish watching the movies I own. Only having seen a couple of silent (or mostly silent) films before this, it was actually my first Buster Keaton movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I had seen some of the stunts from this movie previously, but it didn't take away from how impressive of a physical actor and stuntman Keaton was. Much prefer his more subdued manner than the quirkiness of Chaplin's Little Tramp. And his dead pan stares are killer.
    I definitely look forward to seeing more of Keaton's works.

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Hilarious and essential. Buster Keaton wrote the book on deadpan comedy and stunt work and should be seen by all cinephiles.

• Ryan

Watched by Ryan 07 Feb, 2016

Did you get that?

Shit.

• Myles Couch

★★★ Added by Myles Couch 3

Now that's a set piece! Not as snappy as Sherlock Jr. but still a lot of fun.
    Anyone know why Keaton is fighting for the South?

• framptonhollis

★★★★½ Added by framptonhollis

A spectacularly epic comedy with tons of amazing scenes throughout.

• Paranoyer

★★★½ Watched by Paranoyer 07 Dec, 2015

Die moderne (westliche) Filmwelt gibt vor, nur das Neue zu wollen, ihm zu huldigen und in seinem Optimierungswahn ja auch nur den Willen des Publikums zu befriedigen. Internetkommentare geben dieser Auffassung (scheinbar) Recht, wenn Filme, die keine 15 Jahre alt sind als antiquiert bezeichnet werden oder sich das Wissen um die Originale zu der Flut der Remakes und Reboots bestenfalls in Grenzen hält. Dabei war die Dichte genuiner Stoffe wohl noch nie so gering wie momentan, gerade Hollywood kannibalisiert sich…

• Taylor Brown

Rewatched by Taylor Brown 31 Jan, 2016

Always reminiscent when stunts and money on screen translate into actual spectacle.

• Azal Abedi

Watched by Azal Abedi 31 Jan, 2016

Mad Buster: Fury Railroad

Masterpiece.

• Chris West

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris West 30 Jan, 2016

I've seen this a couple times, and viewing it again right now..

The stunt work is insane, and amazing. You don't see anything like this anymore. Buster Keaton moves from train to train doing all types of insane stunts. Just awesome.

You can find this on youtube. You can find a good chunk of really old work on youtube.

This is something if I find on dvd/blu-ray really cheap I'll want to pick it up for the collection.

WATCH IT.