• loureviews

★★★★½ Rewatched by loureviews 24 Apr, 2015 1

While this Buster Keaton film is not total perfection, it remains a feat of stunts, humour, and high energy which is still very entertaining.

Keaton plays a railway engineer who is not allowed to enlist in the American Civil War due to his value in his day job (but not being told this, he simply feels rejection in his own heart and from the family of his intended). However when his locomotive, the 'General' of the title, is stolen by…

• David Germer

★★★★ Rewatched by David Germer 16 Mar, 2015

My 5 year old couldn’t quite process the absurdity of the amazingness of all that was happening on the train fast enough to be sufficiently floored by it. Parts of it he loved (as with every Keaton movie), but in terms of the pacing of the story and the density of the visual nuances and gags, this was a bit more of a slog than so many of the other shorter movies that have more purely delighted him.

• Zach B

★★★★½ Added by Zach B

I loved this film but I’m a little confused. Is it anti-war? I feel like it kind of is. Our hero is turned down from the Southern army but turns out to be a macho and brave character without the military. The fact that our hero is from the south, and the north is portrayed as bad is also interesting, because the south has always been portrayed as the bad guy. When Johnny even tries to be somewhat of a…

• Carlos Valladares

★★★★★ Rewatched by Carlos Valladares 18 Apr, 2015 1

On New Year's Eve 1926, when Buster Keaton released the movie he would later call his "masterpiece", audiences and critics alike were aghast at what to make of it. Variety called it "far from funny", the New York Times said "the fun was not exactly plentiful”, and the Los Angeles Times said that it “dragged terribly.” Released about a decade after Griffith’s serious melodrama The Birth of a Nation (which contemporaneous audiences lauded for its respectful treatment of the Civil…

• Jeremy Koh

★★★★½ Watched by Jeremy Koh 15 Apr, 2015

Hilarious and moving. Although it does get a little uncomfortable in the way it plays war and death for laughs.

• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

The best silent action comedy film of all time? Perhaps. Chaplin may have tweaked the pathos and comedy a lot more - he certainly worked harder for laughs, with his shameless mugging and his gloriously creative gags. Keaton doesn't mug so shamelessly, thus his low-key hangdog reactions may have dated better than The Little Tramp's theatricality. His gags though seem as equally creative as Chaplin's - and a lot more physical. In fact, while Chaplin may have cornered the market…

• Liam Haber

★★★½ Watched by Liam Haber 03 Apr, 2015 3

The Remainder #8: The General

One of the biggest challenges posed to movie fans is who is better, Chaplin or Keaton. Chaplin is given more notoriety by the public at large, but Keaton is an auteurs favorite. I have been saying I'm a Keaton fan for most of my life, but I almost have to change my mind to Chaplin after finally seeing the biggest hit of Keaton's career.
    I don't dislike The General, nor do I dislike Buster Keaton.…

• Gex

★★★ Watched by Gex 03 Apr, 2015

Pretty good stunts. Film is a bit slow in the beginning and middle, but once those train chases start... Impressive camera work for a silent era film, and stunt work and choreography that puts much of Hollywood's modern action scenes to shame.

PS: I guess there were plenty of directors back then who were still sympathetic to the Confederate cause. Sore losers.

• FelliniForever

★★★★★ Added by FelliniForever

This is the greatest silent film ever made. It is cinema in its highest form. It moves me every time I watch it. I think it simply is glorious, hysterical, divine yet human comedy.

• Daniel Mármol

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Mármol 31 Mar, 2015

RETO 2015:Una comedia.

The General fue hecha tanto para impactar en su fecha de estreno como para hacerlo con todas las generaciones que venían, simplemente es una maravilla de comedia. Increíble todo lo que logró Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman y todos los que colaboraron, pero por alguna razón, al igual que me pasó con Modern Times, no logró maravillarme tanto como esperaba, y ya no es culpa de las películas en sí, es por mi parte que no sé por…

• Nick Chaffey

★★★★★ Added by Nick Chaffey

If you've never watched a movie from the silent era, this is the one to start with.
    I was naive once. I started watching The General expecting 20 minutes or so of funny pratfalls on a steam engine.

What I got a hilarious action-comedy epic (2 whole hours) in which Buster Keaton saves a girl, witnesses a massive locomotive piling into a ravine, and wins the American Civil War.

If we're marking on sheer entertainment value, I have no objection to crowning this the greatest movie ever made.

• Ian Osmond

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Osmond 29 Mar, 2015

Very impressive with the physical comedy and stunts pulled off. Precision timing I tell ya.