• bpage14

Watched by bpage14 16 Feb, 2015

A clever combination of action and comedy that uses some of the most wonderful set pieces of early cinema.

• Keith LaFountaine

★★★★ Watched by Keith LaFountaine 16 Feb, 2015

Civil War narrative aside, The General is a great comedy film with the legendary Buster Keaton in the leading role. Its pacing is a bit of an issue at times - the runtime feels rather bloated given the content - but the majestic nature of the film and the great performances make up for its shortcomings.

• Alex Lovendahl

★★★ Watched by Alex Lovendahl 16 Feb, 2015

An inattentive viewing done while studying. I have to admit I don't always get silent films nor comedies, but the filmmaking here is strong. What some people claim to see in Metropolis, I see in this film; this is a well-realized world, and one that can hold Keaton's Johnnie and his physical comedy without losing credibility.

• sleepingjamie

★★★ Watched by sleepingjamie 13 Feb, 2015

Well, obviously this film has dated, but the stunts and set pieces are still impressive even if the story is pretty insignificant. Watched more as a curiosity than for entertainment.

• Jon Mears

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jon Mears 09 Feb, 2015

There's no denying that Keaton was a fantastic performer, director and writer.

The humour is subtle and the stories are entwined with simple yet clever messages.

I just prefer EVERYTHING Chaplin did.

• Paul Anthony Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Paul Anthony Johnson

[Originally appeared, in slightly modified form, at Cinespect.com.]

Buster the adventurer: Keaton’s consensus masterpiece, and I’m not going to argue against it since the fact that nobody’s right doesn't mean that everybody’s wrong. And the damn thing is great, full of little grace notes, like the oft-commented upon moment when Keaton turns on a dime from exasperatedly mock-strangling his beloved to exasperatedly kissing her. Keaton plays a confederate soldier who rushes off to the rescue when his girl, along with…

• Mike Ambs

Watched by Mike Ambs 28 Jan, 2015

04 / 52 FILMS mikeambs.com/52

Why This Film?

Buster Keaton said, of all his films, this was always his favorite.
    Keaton’s fondness for The General is especially interesting considering this was the last film he had (nearly) full artistic and creative control on - this was one of the most expensive films made at the time, 1926, and it was an action-comedy, not an epic.

The film failed at the box office… it released so poorly that MGM put Keaton…

• zweidreifuenf_1

Watched by zweidreifuenf_1 04 Feb, 2015

Buster Keaton Triple Feature!
    alles gute kommt von oben: Keatons Witze entstehen oft aus einer Wahrnehmungslücke beim Protagonisten die für diesen bestimmte Ereignisse übernatürlich erscheinen lässt, ein genialer schauspieler, charaktere, slapstick, akrobatik, gar nicht stoisch, siehe "Playhouse"
    "The General" ist viel: eine kriegskomödie, eine heldenreise, eine liebesgeschichte, kleine witze mit großem aufwand, perfekt choreographiert und inszeniert, teilweise extrem lustig, im gegensatz zu den beiden kurzen keine aneinanderreihung von witzigen visuellen ideen sondern eine konsequente narration, die intelligent und sehr unterhaltsam…

• Fioleila

★★★★★ Rewatched by Fioleila 03 Feb, 2015

Still makes me laugh as much as when I was 10 - if that isn't a sign that Buster Keaton is forever an absolute God, I don't know what is.

• Barry Levitt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Barry Levitt 03 Feb, 2015

Quite simply one of the most refreshing, hilarious, exciting and utterly thrilling films in the history of cinema. There's a reason this has endured for almost 90 years.

• Davo Davo

★★★★½ Watched by Davo Davo 03 Feb, 2015 1

Two thoughts on THE GENERAL:

1) Every single time a character (or train!) is traveling North, he moves across our screen from right to left. When he’s traveling South, he goes from left to right. I don’t think a single shot breaks from this. Spatial consistency matters!

2) The final minute—with the kisses and the salutes—was BY FAR the hardest I’ve ever laughed during a silent movie. I’m talking full-on, tears-down-my-face belly laughter. God that was good

What a movie!

• joebacon

★★★★½ Watched by joebacon 31 Jan, 2015

Man, Keaton had to do a lot of work for his acting role! Its amazing to see how much of the effects in the film were real, actually happening as the camera was rolling. Over the past year, I have grown to appreciate older films that were from another generation. The General is one of the greats during its era and, even though its been 89 years, is still a great work of cinematic achievement.