• Michael

★★★★★ Rewatched by Michael 28 Sep, 2014

Orson Welles called THE GENERAL "the greatest comedy ever made, the greatest Civil War film ever made, and perhaps the greatest film ever made."

It's among my very favorite movies.

• FrEaken

★★★★½ Added by FrEaken

I just love Keaton.

Almost as much an action movie as a comedy, and it's great at both.

Love the bridge explosion, as well as the whole final sequence where Keaton gets more and more annoyed at his sweetheart because she's so unhelpful at manning the train.

• Danny Schick

★★★★ Watched by Danny Schick 21 Sep, 2014

My local indie theater was showing this with a live orchestra, so I couldn't pass it up.

It's a lot of fun, surprisingly quick and nimble for being made in 1926 and just straight up funny. It's only the second silent film I've seen, but halfway through I forgot it was silent. It's just that good.

• Franco

★★★★★ Watched by Franco 20 Sep, 2014

Finally saw THE GENERAL (and on the big screen with live musical accompaniment.)

It definitely lived up to the hype. Funny and great pacing. I knew it was gonna be kinetic but it's pretty much a full-fledged action film.

The place was packed and people were super into it. One of my best moviegoing experiences of the year.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been said a million times before.

• Rich Dolt

★★★★★ Watched by Rich Dolt 21 Sep, 2014

If you're looking to delve into silent films, The General is a great place to start. This is such an amazing film and definitely worthy of being on the list of the greatest films of all time. Buster Keaton is spectacular in this as he is in all his other films that I've seen so far.

• slyman

★★★★★ Watched by slyman 18 Sep, 2014

There is no way this film can be improved.

• wadestevens

Watched by wadestevens 16 Sep, 2014

I did not really like this film. It was to unrealistic for me. It was in black and white so nothing was as good as it would have been in color. This film was made in 1926 so they did not have colored cameras in 1926. The film was 1 hour and 18 minutes long. The film was shot in a wide-open space so you were not seeing the same scenery over and over again. The train was a big…

• CaptJackSparrow

Added by CaptJackSparrow

I, myself thought that the film, 'The General' was pretty terrible. The main reason I didn't like the film, is because it was, in a way, promoting the South(And the South sucks). It was showing that the North were nimrods and that there entire army couldn't take on a single man, his train, and his dumb girlfriend that if anything, just got in the way. It also showed the South blowing up the North railroad and then killing all of…

• Wubilicious

★★★★★ Watched by Wubilicious 16 Sep, 2014

• Sweglord430

★★★★ Rewatched by Sweglord430 16 Sep, 2014

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Evan Cogswell 13 Sep, 2014 1

On the big screen, with a live score improvised by my former film music professor. A delightful treat.

• SamA