• Carl

★★★★ Watched by Carl 29 Jun, 2015

I have only watched one silent film, and that was Charlie Chaplin’s City Lights, which I really liked, and so I’m moving on to another silent film era champion, Buster Keaton in The General. I don’t know much about this movie, or Buster Keaton other than he likes to do a lot of dangerous stunts. So going in I was excited to see the action he partook in.

Some of the action is here is really impressive, especially when you’re…

• abbyphillips

★★★★½ Added by abbyphillips

Buster Keaton- need I say more? An effective combination of drama and a touch of comedy that is in no way other than its lack of speaking dated. Keaton's immense physical talents and stunts never cease to amaze, and I firmly believe the lack of people like him in the industry today is very sad indeed.

• Banners

★★★★ Watched by Banners 22 Jun, 2015

I haven't seen all that many silent films, but of those that I have, The General is among the best. Buster Keaton, like Charlie Chaplin, is a peculiar screen presence, but one who single handedly anchors the film - he catches our interest and provides the comedy. The General doesn't do quite enough to rival Chaplin's best because there is a little spark of emotion missing. Nevertheless, it is funny, engaging and impressive to watch.

Keaton feels a sympathetic lead,…

• Banquo

★★★★★ Rewatched by Banquo 17 Jun, 2015

Excellent.

• Thomas Flew

★★½ Watched by Thomas Flew 09 Jun, 2015

Disappointingly low on laughs compared to the fantastic Sherlock Jr. , Buster Keaton's legendary The General may still be lauded today as a prime example of silent comedy, but it felt slow and plain, lacking a lot of the inventiveness of other superior silent films.

In spite of some iconic moments, such as Keaton sitting on a moving train's side rods, or daringly clambering over moving trains, there was far too much American Civil War back-story which holds very little…

• matattack

★★★★ Watched by matattack 15 Jun, 2015

super solid silent film entry from my personal favorite buster keaton. wonderful stunts and humor!

• Benjamin James

★★★★★ Watched by Benjamin James 22 May, 2015

Why did I wait so long to see this? Buster Keaton is amazing, he's like a live action Bugs Bunny. How could he get away with all the physical comedy he manages in this film? Jumping off trains, nearly being run over by trains (!), hurling axes about, chucking huge lumps of wood, leaping between moving carriages - the stunts are thrilling and impressive. The spectacular action is just part of it thought, his characterization, the little movements, gestures and…

• Kieron Moore

★★★★ Watched by Kieron Moore 10 Jun, 2015 3

Here's a piece I've written on The General for The Big Picture.

A masterpiece in both daring comic performance and narrative simplicity. We've all recently praised Mad Max: Fury Road for playing out a simple chase movie concept to maximum effect, and The General is the silent comedy equivalent.

A point I didn't make on that Big Picture piece: it's a bit disconcerting how we're on the side of the South in the American Civil War, when any film today wouldn't dare to portray them as anything other than the slavery-supporting baddies. Still, the politics is hardly relevant; it's all about that train.

• ObscureHollywood.net

★★★★★ Watched by ObscureHollywood.net 18 May, 2015

Buster Keaton's masterpiece.

• guybrush

★★★★★ Added by guybrush

DVD original

• Sachin Dharwadker

★★★★★ Watched by Sachin Dharwadker 27 May, 2015

Unintentionally saw this the night before I saw Mad Max: Fury Road. What an occurrence

• Erik J.

★★★★★ Watched by Erik J. 26 May, 2015

Some of the best editing, staging, and physical comedy ever put to film.