• Karl Hungus

★★★★ Watched by Karl Hungus 27 Nov, 2015

It's really unbelievable that this movie flopped when it was first released, and at the same time signified the end of Buster Keaton's cinematic independence. Today, The General is regarded as Keaton's magnum opus, it's regarded as the peak of his craft. And now, I absolutely know, why.

This movie is the paragon for the using of slapstick comedy. There are so many great laughs in it, and nearly every time, it is Johnny Gray, played by Buster Keaton, who…

• Aidan Sears

★★★★★ Watched by Aidan Sears 26 Nov, 2015

welp, my first keaton. realized i needed to get into him after tony zhou's video about him. and damn i've been missing out.

he's a master of physical comedy and physicality in general. his face conveys so much melancholy and underdogness that he's the perfect protagonist for a movie like this. it's such a perfect one-against-the-world kind of story and he plays it so well.

will be catching up with the rest of his features and shorts in the weeks to come.

• A_lonely_grape

★★★½ Watched by A_lonely_grape 26 Nov, 2015

First of Buster Keaton's I've seen, and certainly won't be the last.

• Craiggers

★★★ Watched by Craiggers 24 Nov, 2015

I can see why this picture is highly regarded as one of the best silent movie comedies. There are plenty of dangerous looking stunts (performed by Buster Keaton himself), some great action scenes, and a heavy dose of Keaton's straight-faced humor. But I couldn't help but feeling bored about halfway through the picture. Maybe I'm a guy who just needs some wordplay to enjoy, but I have a hard time staying interested in silent movies with few exceptions.

• Gonzo135

★★★★½ Watched by Gonzo135 23 Nov, 2015 1

The action and comedic gags here are unparalleled, and they're accompanied by fun performances and great music. Almost all of the train chases I've ever seen must have taken inspiration from this, because so many of the stunts were familiar, and yet so much more real and impressive than the imitators.

• sambartz

★★★★★ Added by sambartz

Simply outstanding. The precision and scope of this film are truly astonishing, but there's also enough humor in the underdog story to keep casual viewers attached. This film is a historical landmark and worthy of any cinemaphile's deepest admiration.

• paul

★★★★½ Added by paul

My first Buster Keaton film!
    Good stuff.

• CureTap

★★★★ Watched by CureTap 22 Nov, 2015

I wasn't expecting to like this quite as much as I did. What a delightfully dopey farce. What kind of madman would crash an actual train to make his movie?

• Zach

★★★★½ Watched by Zach 21 Nov, 2015

The General - 3.5/4

Movie Magic. Mesmerizing entertainment. Buzz words like these are really the only way to summarize the feeling one gets when watching the flow and giddiness of Keaton's films. That final bridge scene is phenomenal. This film features some of the greatest real stunts ever. Pretty much awestruck by some of the things this man performed and the countless times he risked his life for his movies.

On another note: "Why didn't you enlist?!" "I don't want to talk to you until you're in a uniform"

What a bitch...She doesn't deserve Keat...uh, Johnnie.

• PezEspada

★★★★★ Rewatched by PezEspada 21 Nov, 2015

a lo mejor nos pasamos flipándolo con Mad Max.

• Zach Cheney

★★★★½ Rewatched by Zach Cheney 19 Nov, 2015

Keaton is all about space + timing. Resounding shots include: Johnnie on the train barreling past the retreating troops (huge scope, depth of space), the cannon firing past the curve in the track, those pans showing one action and then a separate action separated by a whole frame of space (these are more impressive than present-day long-take cheats), and also all those times Keaton's body expresses *everything* when his back faces the camera. Remarkably precise rag doll acrobatics produce laughs through movement alone, even disconnected from the actions or reactions they perform; it's like, bodies just don't/shouldn't move through space that way, but Keaton's somehow does.

• Tom Silvestro

★★★½ Watched by Tom Silvestro 17 Nov, 2015

Silent films are a blind spot in my movie nerdom and I’m trying to rectify that. Anyway, it’s hard to believe this film was made in 1927 because the action, editing, and tension are so well done. This must’ve been like the DIE HARD of the 20s and blown people’s minds. I’m sure they were just used to seeing dumb films about horses standing still or barns being raised. I’ll bet at least 53 elderly people died of amazement while…