• Danny Schick

★★★★ Watched by Danny Schick 21 Sep, 2014

My local indie theater was showing this with a live orchestra, so I couldn't pass it up.

It's a lot of fun, surprisingly quick and nimble for being made in 1926 and just straight up funny. It's only the second silent film I've seen, but halfway through I forgot it was silent. It's just that good.

• Franco

★★★★★ Watched by Franco 20 Sep, 2014

Finally saw THE GENERAL (and on the big screen with live musical accompaniment.)

It definitely lived up to the hype. Funny and great pacing. I knew it was gonna be kinetic but it's pretty much a full-fledged action film.

The place was packed and people were super into it. One of my best moviegoing experiences of the year.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been said a million times before.

• Rich Dolt

★★★★★ Watched by Rich Dolt 21 Sep, 2014

If you're looking to delve into silent films, The General is a great place to start. This is such an amazing film and definitely worthy of being on the list of the greatest films of all time. Buster Keaton is spectacular in this as he is in all his other films that I've seen so far.

• slyman

★★★★★ Watched by slyman 18 Sep, 2014

There is no way this film can be improved.

• wadestevens

Watched by wadestevens 16 Sep, 2014

I did not really like this film. It was to unrealistic for me. It was in black and white so nothing was as good as it would have been in color. This film was made in 1926 so they did not have colored cameras in 1926. The film was 1 hour and 18 minutes long. The film was shot in a wide-open space so you were not seeing the same scenery over and over again. The train was a big…

• CaptJackSparrow

Added by CaptJackSparrow

I, myself thought that the film, 'The General' was pretty terrible. The main reason I didn't like the film, is because it was, in a way, promoting the South(And the South sucks). It was showing that the North were nimrods and that there entire army couldn't take on a single man, his train, and his dumb girlfriend that if anything, just got in the way. It also showed the South blowing up the North railroad and then killing all of…

• Wubilicious

★★★★★ Watched by Wubilicious 16 Sep, 2014

• Sweglord430

★★★★ Rewatched by Sweglord430 16 Sep, 2014

• Evan Cogswell

★★★★★ Rewatched by Evan Cogswell 13 Sep, 2014 1

On the big screen, with a live score improvised by my former film music professor. A delightful treat.

• SamA

★★★★ Added by SamA

• vireos

★★★★½ Added by vireos

This movie was pretty good got some nice humor and all, but there were some things that I didn't like at all. Lets say that the South being victorious and being better than the North was something that I didn't like at all. Another thing that I didn't like was that it had to be in a sepia black and white color, but its understandable because it was made in the '20s. Other than that it was good. Now lets…

• Brainhead12

★★★★ Rewatched by Brainhead12 16 Sep, 2014

The general was groundbreaking and jaw dropping when it was made it 1926.But in modern times the actual quality of the film wouldn't even come close to today's standards but the story makes up for it double fold. The general was a love story/comedy about a train conductor during the civil war time period. This was a silent film but the characters did a good job of emphasizing their movement so sound was not needed. But the music was needed…