• Daniel Mármol

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Mármol 31 Mar, 2015

RETO 2015:Una comedia.

The General fue hecha tanto para impactar en su fecha de estreno como para hacerlo con todas las generaciones que venían, simplemente es una maravilla de comedia. Increíble todo lo que logró Buster Keaton, Clyde Bruckman y todos los que colaboraron, pero por alguna razón, al igual que me pasó con Modern Times, no logró maravillarme tanto como esperaba, y ya no es culpa de las películas en sí, es por mi parte que no sé por…

• Nick Chaffey

★★★★★ Added by Nick Chaffey

If you've never watched a movie from the silent era, this is the one to start with.
    I was naive once. I started watching The General expecting 20 minutes or so of funny pratfalls on a steam engine.

What I got a hilarious action-comedy epic (2 whole hours) in which Buster Keaton saves a girl, witnesses a massive locomotive piling into a ravine, and wins the American Civil War.

If we're marking on sheer entertainment value, I have no objection to crowning this the greatest movie ever made.

• Ian Osmond

★★★★½ Watched by Ian Osmond 29 Mar, 2015

Very impressive with the physical comedy and stunts pulled off. Precision timing I tell ya.

• stephencaswell
  • wardview

Added by wardview

I’ve heard the name Buster Keaton mentioned in discussions on film or read his name in articles on silent film, but The General is the first time I’ve seen him on screen.

Johnny Gray (Keaton) must become a soldier for the Confederate Army to gain his lady’s respect and the respect of his peers.
    The film definitely appears to portray an American man only as such if he is an American soldier.
    Gray is an engineer on The General and…

• Brandon Douglas

★★★★ Watched by Brandon Douglas 25 Mar, 2015

Actually throughly enjoyed this movie. Highly recommend if you want a old slapstick comedy.

• Fsjallink

Direction: 10/10
    Pacing/Editing: 9/10

• Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

★★★★★ Added by Cameron M. Gambas Johnson

Not only a very funny comedy, but an excellent romance and a superb action-adventure movie as well. Is creative on levels we rarely see today, without any talking, color, and minimal special effects. Probably my favorite silent movie.

• Devin Sheridan

★★★★½ Watched by Devin Sheridan 22 Mar, 2015

Keaton was definitely a man of subtlety. There is a part where he does a pratfall off a front porch but its in the background of the shot and while someone is crossing in front of the frame. It's almost as if he makes you work to noticed all the craziness involved. Also it's kind of interesting that this movie is from the Confederate's perspective.

• Jason Darby

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jason Darby 23 Mar, 2015

The General is a film that has long outlived many of its silent film bretheren, despite being both a critical and financial failure upon its initial release in 1926. Today it is considered the best example of Buster Keaton's brand of comedy, and while it may not be his most artistic film, it is his funniest, and along with Chaplin's The Gold Rush ranks as the funniest film of the silent era.

Keaton, like Chaplin, grew up in the music…

• Hari Prasad Mohan

★★★★★ Watched by Hari Prasad Mohan 19 Mar, 2015

The sheer audacity, immensity and complexity of this film. In 1926.

Buster Keaton. God. Same Guy.

• Alex Tărău

★★★★½ Watched by Alex Tărău 18 Mar, 2015

A true classic in every sense of the word, hysterically funny like few others and featuring some of the most exciting locomotive chases ever filmed, as well as an epic-scale production, a beautiful score and a cinematography in sepia that feels like a travel in time.