• Sam

★★★★★ Watched by Sam 18 Dec, 2014

Great film. Definitely one of the all-time classics.
    Orson Welles once said the film is the best comedy ever made, the best Civil War film ever made, and quite possibly the best film ever made.
    I can't beat that analysis, so I won't even try.

• Jon Baum

★★★★ Watched by Jon Baum 21 Dec, 2014

When I turn on a Keaton movie it means i really want to laugh. Unfortunately as far as comedic value goes, I would consider this to be the least humorous of the Keaton films i've seen. I was initially going to rank it a 3 stars. Then it dawned on me that the shot composition of this film is beautiful and so before it's time that it deserves 5 stars. So an even compromise.

• yrsurfinman

★★★★★ Rewatched by yrsurfinman 20 Dec, 2014

Sometimes really funny, but more consistently really thrilling. The General is one of the best action movies ever made.

Kind of makes you wonder, though-- What was with Hollywood and the confederacy?

• samShipp

★★★★½ Watched by samShipp 17 Dec, 2014

Forest Gump from a different time.

• Bjorn Bouterse

★★★★★ Watched by Bjorn Bouterse 16 Dec, 2014 6

The 15 Greatest Films Of All Time

97/100

Buster Keaton's The General is in my opinion the greatest film the silent era ever saw. Rarely do films ever pack such raw energy and vibrance into them yet The General does it effortlessly. At this point I have seen every Buster Keaton film and this is without doubt his best while also being his most famous. Most film enthusiasts have at least heard of it and most have seen it (I…

• AronSteinn

★★★★½ Watched by AronSteinn 15 Dec, 2014

One of the funniest silent films i have ever seen and the stunts are incredible for the time being 1926!

• Christopher Tennant

★★★★★ Watched by Christopher Tennant 10 Dec, 2014

I think when watching a movie from the 20s, the best you can hope for is that it "holds up" to the modern filmgoer's tastes, expectations, sensibilities, humor, etc.

The General does not just hold up, it surpasses in just about every way. I don't want to sound like a "the old days were better" rant, but I think The General is a gem of a film that earned its place among the top films of all time.

• salpi

★★★★★ Added by salpi

really good

• walatomus27

★★★★ Watched by walatomus27 05 Dec, 2014

This is not very funny if talking about Buster Keaton in General

• Sulli

Added by Sulli

This movie was a funny black and white silent comedy film made in 1926. It takes place during the civil war, the main character, Johnnie, wants to enlist in the Confederate army to impress his girl, Annabelle Lee, but is turned down, because his current job as an engineer aboard "The General" is more important. Annabelle thinks he is a coward and refuses to talk to him until he's in uniform. After some time the Union spies manage to capture…

• maps9

★★★★★ Added by maps9

I saw this in a theater with a live orchestra a little while ago and it was a phenomenal experience. There were a few moments where they may have been a split second off their marks, but otherwise, truly great work. I've not heard the score that was played on any disc I have, but I'm still not sure which version is my favourite.

The General is one of those films that works perfectly as example of movies-as-moving-images. Many comedic…

• LaFemmeNisita

★★★★½ Watched by LaFemmeNisita 26 Oct, 2014

This was my first Buster Keaton movie... and I loved it! He (as in the character) is not as silly as Charlie Chaplin, but the situations are just as silly. The movie had a particular flow to it... although I found that the music didn't always match the scene. And now the song is stuck in my head again.