• Janne

★★★★½ Rewatched by Janne 21 Aug, 2016

Still love it.

• tsunamis

★★★★ Added by tsunamis

I mean I feel bad for liking a Polanski film, but this is a really good movie!

• Brendan Edwards

★★★½ Rewatched by Brendan Edwards 05 Aug, 2016

Still a very mysterious and thrilling film at my second watch. McGregor and Brosnan never fail to perform, and Polanskis directing is close to spotless in the business to create the tense vibe in the film.

• RyanGoodwin

★★★★ Added by RyanGoodwin

A perfect example of a director who hasn't lost his craft with old age.

Polanski is the master of thriller post-Hitchcock. So much confidence is on display here and it's very clear that the actors allow Polanski to work. The performances are all so great from just the directing, that the acting takes a backseat. Nevertheless Ewan McGregor is captivating and he is just the right amount of naïve and diligent in order to be the perfect catalyst.

As with…

• trostlerp

★★★½ Watched by trostlerp 04 Aug, 2016

By-the-book thriller that doesn't spend enough time on intriguing plot developments and vice versa. In the end, it does not add up to much and if you think too hard about how things play out, the film falls apart completely.

• Driftwood

★★★★★ Added by Driftwood

my favourite hitchcock.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 07 Aug, 2010

Paced like a motherfucker, sly as hell, and funny to boot!

• Andrew Akada

★★★★½ Rewatched by Andrew Akada 27 Jun, 2016

Edited from the confines of a Swedish prison, Polanksi's understated and moody political thriller is just the right amount of fun. It's caustic without being conspiratorial and is intelligent but not contrived. Sure, it can't hold a candle to the work of Costa Gavras. At worst it's a poor man's "Manchurian Candidate". But by the end--even as we roll our eyes and toss up our hands at the sheer paranoia--there is an inescapable sense of dread and wonder at our…

• Will Cundall

★★★½ Watched by Will Cundall 26 Jun, 2016

What a dreary atmosphere this film has that envelops a political mystery thriller that is intriguing to say the least. It's the kind of movie you can't completely leave until its all done and the films entire vibe is is one of slight drabness, but it was to me all that more beautiful because of it. Roman Polanski is the man at the helm of this story which tells of a fictional former prime minister (Brosnan) of the UK who…

• Addy K.

★★★★½ Rewatched by Addy K. 28 May, 2016

A master on cruise control. Effortless storytelling with Polanski's trademark visual imprint (mood, atmosphere). GHOST WRITER is the kind of film Hitchcock made (over and over) and people loved. Somewhere down the line, this type of thriller became "cliched". Polanski and co-writer Robert Harris rejig the formula with political intrigue plus a poetic, cynical ending. Desplat's score is propulsive, tense and beautiful.

• droptoons

★★★½ Added by droptoons

A perfect blend of suspense, mystery, and thrills, all with a dash of politics, and heavily soaked in genre. This is definitely a dark movie, bleak and atmospheric, with a slow-burn pace. Though, the key to this one may be the writing. It is lean - no gratuitous sequences - no slack in the pacing or in the focus, and, most importantly, it's damn intelligent. Mr. Polanski knows his craft. Masterful. Subtle.

• Junior Andrade

★★★★ Watched by Junior Andrade 22 May, 2016

An engaging and tense thriller with an intriguing mystery and a stylish direction that bring to mind Polanski's finest works, and some scenes here are spectacular, especially the final sequence, while Ewan McGregor puts in a very strong performance.