• Mark Boszko

★★★★★

What a delicious modern noir. Olivia Williams is mesmerizing in her femme fatale role, Pawel Edelman’s cinematography is just superb, and the blocking in some of the scenes is spectacular. Plus, I kind of love that people in the movie are often depicted as half asleep or just waking up.

• Steven Monroy

★★★

What if Brosnan and Cage had switched movies with similar titles?

• ksongderulo

½

i found out halfway through it was directed by roman polanski and turned it off lmao

• Amy

★½

There used to be a time when I'd watch anything with Ewan McGreggot in it. I'm glad that time has passed.

• JoeDunn

★★★½

Terrific thriller about a writer that finds trouble digging to deep. I love Ewan McGregor in films like this. There are scenes where it's just him on screen thinking, processing information and he does so much with it. Great stuff.

There is, believer it or not, a thrilling ferry boarding scene. How often does that happen?

• JC13

★★★

"Some peace protesters are trying to kill me!"

This Roman Polanski Thriller is about a ghost writer that is hired to finish the memoirs of a former British Prime Minister. Naturally he gets more than he bargained for. Ewan Mcgregor is very good in the lead role and the supporting cast is solid. My problem with the film was that the story failed to hold my complete attention. There are many parts throughout that I really liked, but at other…

• Chris

★★★★

A bit flawed in that the ending discovery was easily avoidable, but otherwise a great in all aspects from acting to cinematography

• emkang

★★★★

I will never endorse Roman Polanski unreservedly, but looking at his filmography and talent alone, he is undoubtedly a master. Even this film, which is actually not one of his stronger ones, is effective, tense and slick. Highly entertaining and thrilling.

• LLFIN

★★★½

Not sure how many times I have seen this. Luckily i had forgotten it all again. Still works.

• Riley McDonald

★★½

A perfectly competent, but somewhat drab outing from Roman Polanski. The Ghost Writer dresses up its noirish plotting with some ripped-from-the-headlines political themes, and features strong performances by Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, and Olivia Williams, but feels ultimately formulaic.

All of the pieces are there for an exceptional movie--the kind of grand-scale dirtywork of politics played out through the seediness of a noir investigation that Polanski covered so famously in Chinatown. And yet the film seems to edge away from…

• Jaron Carter

★★★★

"A less equable man than I might start to find your questions impertinent"

• Justin Willis

★½

I'm just gonna quickly write a review so I can get to my upcoming dissertation on A Separation. The Ghost Writer is a weird movie for me to watch. It's not particularly remarkable in any way, so much so I'm questioning how this perfectly average movie even ended up on my watchlist. The scores are mediocre, I'm not some Polanski fanboy, nor am I watching it because of any of the actors.

The Ghost Writer is a therefore weird because…