• Simon Crookston

★★★ Watched by Simon Crookston 28 Sep, 2016

Polanski should be prosecuted for crimes against green screen, amongst other things

• Lena Lighthouse

Rewatched by Lena Lighthouse 24 Sep, 2016

Roman Polanski macht Entertainment für Intellektuelle. Der Film macht einfach Spaß. Ein spannender Krimi, elegant inszeniert, mit stimmungsvollen Drehorten (allein dieses Haus, das Innen und Außen vereint) und gewitzten, originellen Einfällen (ein Navi im Auto als Brotkrumen im Wald - super!) und das auf einer oberflächlich politischen Basis. Aber einen großen Beitrag spendet auch Alexandre Desplats ironisch-märchenhafter musikalischer Kommentar, der dem Film erst seinen spielerischen Ton gibt, der ihn zu einem Abenteuer für Theoretiker macht.

• Will

★★★★ Watched by Will 13 Sep, 2016 2

Loses its way a little in the sea of convoluted, sometimes hard to believe political conspiracy, but great effort with some majestic stylistic touches (notably the passing of the note scene at the end in glorious shallow focus, building to that crescendo).

I know this is obviously an allegory on Blair era UK politics and whatnot so it's grounded in some reality, but I've always found the political system here to be so dull and dreary I think it's amazing…

• Hayden Lewis

★★★ Watched by Hayden Lewis 09 Sep, 2016

Ewan McGregor performs well in this, but other than that it is a pretty lackluster movie. It's nice to see a mystery unravel, although a tad convoluted, anyway it's alright but it's not something I'm going to rave or even remember in a month.

• Craig

★★★½ Watched by Craig 10 Sep, 2016

The Ghost (as it is called in the UK) is an intriguing political thriller bolstered by a very natural and charming performance from Ewan McGregor.

In contrast, a truly awful performance from Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall doing her best (read: hilarious) English accent derails any building of tension any time she is on screen. I honestly believe the film would have been immeasurably improved by recasting her.

On the plus side Cattrall does detract from Pierce Brosnon's…

• RoundMyWay

★★★★ Watched by RoundMyWay 04 Sep, 2016

A journalist is tasked to be a ghost writer for a Tony Blair-esque prime minister's memoirs but not is all as it seems in “The Ghost Writer.” While the twists get a bit silly towards the end, Roman Polanski can still make a good thriller. The casting of the film is interesting as well - Timothy Hutton, Jim Belushi, and Kim Cattrall all make appearances and are used well as character actors. Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan are also excellent as the writer and prime minister respectively. If you like a good (and a bit trashy) political thriller, give this one a watch.

• Noronen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Noronen 07 Sep, 2016

If you were to essentially remake your greatest film, by all rights the goal would be to outdo yourself or else what would be the point? Roman Polanski (finishing the film from Swiss prison!) gave himself that nearly impossible task, and succeeded.

Small complaint -- The ADR used in trimming this down to a PG-13 is a bit distracting.

• loureviews

★★★½ Rewatched by loureviews 07 Sep, 2016

A rather good thriller directed by Roman Polanski and co-written by him with Robert Harris, the author of the original book, 'The Ghost', on which this is based.

Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan) is a former PM, not unlike our own Tony Blair, a slimy opportunist who is eventually hunted for the war crimes he may or may not have committed during office.

'The Ghost' of the title (I'm watching it in the UK, where it didn't have the explanatory word…

• Austin Coppernoll

★★★★½ Rewatched by Austin Coppernoll 31 Aug, 2016

The Ghost Writer is one of my favorite underrated films and one of the most refined political thrillers I've seen. I hadn't thought much of it upon initial viewing roughly 6 years ago now, but it has really grown on me ever since. I'm not much of a Roman Polanski fan anymore, but his direction of this film simply takes the cake. His cut-and-dry, piece-by-piece, tension-riddled execution puts forth the perfect amount of restraint necessary to adapt this film and…

• Janne

★★★★½ Rewatched by Janne 21 Aug, 2016

Still love it.

• tsunamis

★★★★ Added by tsunamis

I mean I feel bad for liking a Polanski film, but this is a really good movie!

• Brendan Edwards

★★★½ Rewatched by Brendan Edwards 05 Aug, 2016

Still a very mysterious and thrilling film at my second watch. McGregor and Brosnan never fail to perform, and Polanskis directing is close to spotless in the business to create the tense vibe in the film.