• Aaron White

★★★ Watched by Aaron White 17 Jan, 2011

Good old, Roman Polanski. Known for his international film work and dark psychological tales, as well as some rather troubling personal issues, here he offers us a “Hitchcock-like” political thriller. The film follows a man hired to finish the auto-biography of a former Prime Minister after his predecessor mysteriously died. As he delves deeper into the past of the Prime Minister (Pierce Brosnan in a totally underwhelming performance), he questions more and more regarding the current political drama surrounding his…

• joelhwa

★★½ Watched by joelhwa 20 Jul, 2010

5/10: Roman Polanski's latest thriller is just so-so, there are many similar movies which I felt is better.The running time at 2 hours is rather too long for my liking. It makes the movie feel draggy. Just don't watch this when you are sleepy.

• Paul Kapsalis

★★★★ Watched by Paul Kapsalis 14 Dec, 2014

"Forty thousand years of human language, and there's no word to describe our relationship. It was doomed."

Άλλο ένα πολιτικό θρίλερ που πέρασε και δεν ακούμπησε από τον μάστορα Roman Polanski.Ντυμένο στα γκρίζα μας παρουσιάζει μια μουντή ατμόσφαιρα κατά την διάρκεια ολόκληρης της ταινία.Θυμίζει πολύ Hitchcock και αυτό τίποτα άλλο παρά καλό θα μπορούσε να ήταν.
    Ewan McGregor αποδεικνύει για άλλη μια φορά γιατί θα πρέπει να λαμβάνεται περισσότερο υπόψιν στο Hollywood,δίνοντας μια ακόμα πολύ καλή ερμηνεία.Ο Pierce Brosnan πάλι…

• siss400

★★★★★ Watched by siss400 08 Dec, 2014 3

Άψογο! Αν έπρεπε να χρησιμοποιήσω μια λέξη θα ήταν ακριβώς αυτή. Είναι το φιλμ που λέει ακριβώς όσα πρέπει ακριβώς όσο γρήγορα πρεπει να τα πει, περνάει ένα δίωρο και δεν έχεις σηκωθει να πας πουθενά γιατί θέλεις να δεις που το πάει και κυρίως πως το πάει.

Στα τέλεια συν του μια σκηνή δολοφονίας που μόνο με τη σκηνή στο ψυχώ συγκρίνεται, που δε βλέπεις ούτε το θύμα ούτε το δολοφόνο, ούτε καν πανικό δηλαδή.

Στα μείον ότι αν…

• msmere

Added by msmere

Pretty good.

• WhiteLady3

★★★ Watched by WhiteLady3 07 Dec, 2014

I've never been curious to see this movie but it was quite interesting and some twists caught me off guard. And I did love the ending! :D

• André Belo

★★★½ Watched by André Belo 30 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Jonathan Pincus

★★★★ Rewatched by Jonathan Pincus 24 Nov, 2014

The Ghost: You ought not to be written out of history.
    Ruth Lang: Why not? Most women are.
    The Ghost: Then I'll reinstate you. I'll put in all the occasions that he's forgotten.
    Ruth Lang: How kind, like the boss's secretary who remembers his wife's birthday for him.

Roman Polanski’s “The Ghost Writer”, a mystery and Hitchcockian thriller, is an intricate story about a ghostwriter who gets too curious for his own good. Using ghosts as an analogy for being…

• Doc Cortex

★★★ Watched by Doc Cortex 13 Nov, 2014

Three of the unlikeliest bedfellows; McGregor, Brosnan and Cattrall combine in this slick political thriller. It sounds like a recipe for disaster but somehow it produces an engaging, atmospheric and likeable journey into the world of premier league politics. Cattrall is especially believable as the erstwhile Prime Minister's aid, Brosnan is suitably false and Olivia Williams steals the show as the harsh, Cheri Blair style wife behind the man. The most surprisingly decent film I've seen this year and if you like a limited grey colour palette and a downcast atmosphere then you'll like it too.

• liad

★★ Watched by liad 22 Nov, 2014

At least it gives you the chance to explore the interesting and modern architectural design of the house.

• David Thomson

★★★★ Watched by David Thomson 15 Nov, 2014

This film features one of the greatest closing shots in history. Polanski still brings the heat.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 14 Aug, 2010

Enjoyable mystery-thriller has a tantalizing premise. Ewan McGregor's is superb as a replacement ghost writer (the first one apparently killed himself) who gradually finds out circumstances surrounding the ex-PM he's writing for are extremely suspicious. It won't always make the best of sense, but it's all done in such seriousness and intensity, it's hard not to get carried away. Roman Polanski is a great director, and the artistry of this film is evident, from the stark and yet beautiful cinematography, to faultless editing, and clever score by Alexander Desplat.