• Jakub Flasz

★★★½ Watched by Jakub Flasz 23 Feb, 2015

Films like that only serve to remind me of a vast ocean of cinema that I have not yet watched, or I am in a dire need of re-watching due to memory loss problems. As such, "The ghost writer" is Roman Polanski's subdued attempt at going back to his roots. It is a paranoid thriller of a hitchcockian variety where a man (McGregor) finds himself in a situation where he can't trust anyone and his life may be at stake…

• Tim Schäfer

Watched by Tim Schäfer 08 Feb, 2015

Pierce Brosnan totally fits into that role.

• Mike Mariano

★★★★ Rewatched by Mike Mariano 18 Feb, 2015

I remember the ending being sour even by Polanski's impish standards, but that didn't affect any of the fun I had rewatching this.

Hey, remember when torturers had to worry about facing war crimes tribunals? Good times.

• Alex Tărău

★★★½ Watched by Alex Tărău 17 Feb, 2015

No doubt Roman Polansky knows how to build a gripping movie, with craft and wit, in this case a political thriller, where references to Blair and Bush are no so much explicit, but subtle enough to be perceived somehow. Reviews underlined a style resembling Hitchcock: indeed, the story proceeds, creating suspense, thrill, without appealing to excessive action or shock, although never reaching Hitchcock's subtlety of insight and mystery, both in characters and situations. Mostly, the plot proves some loose ends…

• Gert Verbeek

★★★½ Watched by Gert Verbeek 22 May, 2010

The Ghost Writer is een lekkere thriller vol verwijzingen naar persoonlijke besognes (Polanski’s huidige isolatie onder wakend oog van de media), wereldpolitiek (Tony Blair en de invasie in Irak) en filmklassiekers (zowel good ol’ Hitchcock als Polanski’s eigen back catalogue). Geïnspireerde casting en solide script zorgen voor afgeronde personages.

• Panta Oz

★★★★ Added by Panta Oz

A political thriller with a bite! I'll agree that he can do much better, but I'll have to say Polanski knows his job! Intelligent, clean, well executed, enjoyable! I am not great fan of Ewan McGregor but I have to say that he was a logical choice for this role and he did his best. Pierce Brosnan proves that he is a serious actor not just James Bond male bimbo! My favourite was Kim Cattrall and Olivia Williams with her role could make everyone proud. A movie which is perfect for long winter nights! Don't miss it!

• Cecilia Barroso
  • Ben Lane

★★★★½ Watched by Ben Lane 04 Feb, 2015

THE GHOST WRITER is exactly what a thriller should be. It's tight, tense, well filmed, and well written. An intriguing story matched with fine performances makes this movie soar. It's riveting.

• awise7

★★★★½ Added by awise7

This movie messed with my mind! I loved the thrill and the mystery of it. It was just so sublime, I don't know any other way to describe it...

• CinemaClown

★★★ Watched by CinemaClown 21 Jan, 2015 12

Carrying a very mysterious vibe from its opening moments, full of twists n turns throughout its runtime & benefiting greatly from Alexandre Desplat's sensational score, Roman Polanski's The Ghost Writer is a finely crafted & nicely performed political drama that's narrated in a highly controlled manner yet turns out to be slightly underwhelming in the end.

Based on Robert Harris' novel, the story of The Ghost Writer concerns a nameless ghostwriter who's hired to complete the memoirs of a former Prime Minister…

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Ewan plays the wide-eyed naive ghost writer very well, Brosnan is also wonderful, as is Williams. Quaintly Hitchcokian, but everyone says that.

• Rocco

★★★★ Watched by Rocco 19 Jan, 2015

As boring as it is subtle (get it?), Polanski's political mystery is clever and engaging throughout. McGregor is given the burden of delivering some truly bad lines, but makes up for it with a good performance. However, it is Olivia Williams who steals the show here, as the neglected wife of Brosnan's Tony Blair-esque character (for legal purposes, I am required to mention that Brosnan's character may or may not have been influenced by the former PM).

Well worth a watch.