• Zarban

★★★ Watched by Zarban 26 Sep, 2014

Fun and atmospheric, if extremely unlikely, thriller about a writer hired to finish another writer's work on a UK PM's autobio who stumbles on (surprise!) the same shocking secret the first writer stumbled upon. And I do mean "stumble". There's hardly a single thing McGregor does to earn the clues he collects; then he comes to the wrong conclusion. But the fact that the shocking secret turns out to be total hearsay is even more unfortunate; it's supported only by…

• Lowbacca

★★★½ Watched by Lowbacca 21 Sep, 2014

There's none-too-subtle parallels here that compare the controversial former prime minster accused of war crimes in this and Tony Blair, although I don't think that weighs down the film once one is far enough in. There's also some bitter irony that a key point of this film is that the former PM is staying in the US to avoid being transported to the Hague on war crimes charges when it's directed by Roman Polanski, who had to shoot it all…

• Anton Amnehagen

★★★ Watched by Anton Amnehagen 16 Sep, 2014

It gets better.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 20 Dec, 2010

The Ghost Writer is a slowly paced psychological political thriller that was superbly acted, well told, and expertly directed. Although there were around 20 o 30 minutes in the middle that could have been expendable, they served to enhance the tense atmosphere present throughout. Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan delivered wonderful performances. Though Roman Polanski has made much better films in the past, it is undeniable that this was an elegantly crafted and intelligent piece of filmmaking, and it is by all means a worthy addition to his filmography.

• 24thhero

★★★★ Added by 24thhero

The mysterious, atmospheric, film noir feel-like film has excellent plot that is greatly directed and that makes it one of Polanski's best recent films.

• Mandalorian

★★★ Added by Mandalorian

The Ghost Writer is one of those films I admire, but feel almost nothing for when I watch it. That actually sums up my feelings towards Polanski's filmography in a nutshell. This film was the epitome of anticlimactic, with a build up that has its highs, and its valley lows. The build up resulted in nothing interesting, in my opinion. The performances are what save the film for me, and its sleepy cottage town setting. I also really liked the…

• elliotx

★★★★ Rewatched by elliotx 22 Aug, 2014

I loved the book, and this is a very good adaptation with just the right amount of humour and suspense!

• Paul Kapsalis

★★★★ Watched by Paul Kapsalis 30 Aug, 2014

Ewan MacGregor's hairstyle was really well-made.Oh,and the film was too.

• Daniel

★★★ Watched by Daniel 27 Aug, 2014

La verdad me aburrió, no soy partidario de Ewan McGregor ni de los últimos trabajos de Polanski, mezcla todo eso con un trama policiaco y creas a mi nemesis.

En realidad no es mala, siendo objetivo es buena y en su primera media hora creó bastantes espectativas, pero su ritmo es lento e imperdonable, quizás en otra situación la hubiese valorado mejor. Not my cup o tea, sorry.

• andytorino

★★ Watched by andytorino 17 Jan, 2014

Polanski lost it. It's worth a watch but this film proves that even a great film maker loses his magic touch. The plot, the leading role, the cinematography receive a big minus. Personally I thought Brosnan and the ending were the best part.

• Aljosa

★★★★ Rewatched by Aljosa 18 Aug, 2014

Re-watching because I read the book. Good stuff.

• cezv