• wabbit

★★★★★ Rewatched by wabbit 06 Oct, 2015

Loved the book, love the film, love, love, love it.

• Matt Thomas

★★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 05 Oct, 2015

Such a good thriller. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the makers of the updated House of Cards were fans too. Possibly Polanski's last great film.

• Phil Sternwise

★★★★ Added by Phil Sternwise

Did Tony Blair work for the CIA the whole time? Ewan discovers the truth... sort of...

• Marie Bardi

★★★½ Watched by Marie Bardi 24 Sep, 2015

Very amusing of Polanski to make a film about being stuck in America.

Wonderful ending.

• skype jonze

★★★★ Rewatched by skype jonze 27 Sep, 2015

It was on tv so i watched it again, it's really cute

• Cory

★★★½ Rewatched by Cory 26 Sep, 2015

I remember this being better. Still some great suspense, but the twist seemed so meh. I like watching Ewan Mcgregor walk and look at things.

• der Dude Brodel

★★★★★ Added by der Dude Brodel

Ziehmlich genial inszenierter Film, wie fast jeder Film von Roman Polanski. Auf jedenfall zu empfehlen

• calamityhey

★★★½ Watched by calamityhey 09 Sep, 2015

I wish I could like Polanski "casually" but, you know how this goes. Anyway he's very much still "got it", Ghost Writer moves so well and looks great, plus its ending rivals Chinatown in terms of meanness. Polanski gets great performances out of Ewan and Pierce (surprisingly), as well as Olivia WIlliams (not surprising) in what is a consistently surprising, taught, and provocative take on recent political events. If I have one complaint I suppose its that Desplat score which is overbearing and sounds suspiciously like the leftover pieces of his Harry Potter scores.

• David

★★★★ Rewatched by David 11 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

No one quite captures the hidden malevolence of the modern world like Polanski. Every word, every gesture, every moment holds the potential for this great evil in waiting to unmask itself, most likely with an innocuously polite statement. There is a dread-inducing ambiguity surrounding even the most honorable character; literally, no one can be trusted. The noir hero, our only window into this diseased world, is himself nameless: an "unimportant" member of the 99% like the rest of us, who…

• Bryan W

★★★★ Watched by Bryan W 01 Sep, 2015

[Writer/Director] Roman Polanski's shrewd and sinuous adaptation emulates with such thrilling atmospheric telling of a narrative tied from within an eerie political underbelly.

Structured in and around a ministerial heartbeat. ‘The Ghost Writer’ earns its high-praise as being a finely tuned well-shot thriller. And in completion is rounded off by a number of level headed performances. This modern-day film noir effectuates into a literal balance of perfection and imperfection. Its cinematic use of suspense, timing, layering and carefully crafted audience…

• nrbeaton

★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 15 Aug, 2010

Not terrible but it didn't quite come together for me. The plot was interesting but I found the performances difficult to believe, Cattrall in particular. And the avoidance of the main character's name was glaring and stupid.

• Leandro Luz

★★★★★ Added by Leandro Luz

Não há motivos para desmerecer O ESCRITOR FANTASMA. Polanski mais uma vez acerta em cheio, gerando um filme de mistério com uma atmosfera muita tensa e cheia de suspense. Seus personagens são sempre muito bem apresentados e trabalhados, nos possibilitando entrar de cabeça nos seus problemas e aflições. Como não se colocar na pele do "Fantasma", interpretado pelo sempre competente Ewan McGregor? Detalhes como a pista que Ruth (Olivia Williams) dá ao dizer que o primeiro ministro sempre segue os…