• Elias Elias

★★★½ Added by Elias Elias

The ending surprised me!

• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

In Roman Polanski's "The Ghost Writer," a man without a past rattles around in the life of a man with too much of one. He begins by reading the work of an earlier ghost who mysteriously drowned, and finds it boring and conventional. Hired to pep up the manuscript to justify a $10 million advance, he discovers material to make it exciting, all right, and possibly deadly.

This movie is the work of a man who knows how to direct…

• Sean Kelly

★★★ Watched by Sean Kelly 21 Apr, 2014

Not nearly as clever a film as it thinks it is. McGregor, Brosnan and Polanski each add some style to make it enjoyable. But it's way too long. The novel could have been shortened to a novella.

• Fesapo

★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 23 Jan, 2013

86/100

• Juan Jiménez

★★★★ Added by Juan Jiménez

Dotado de un escenario que pareciera sacado de algunas de las cintas de Bergman (me recordó Through a Glass Darkly), Polanski hace un Shyamalan.

• PatrickRipoll

★★★★ Added by PatrickRipoll

Gets so far by merely not stumbling where thrillers often do: the plot isn't twisty for the sake of it, the film doesn't force action set-pieces where they don't belong, the characters are three-dimensional, and, most shockingly of all, I didn't always know what was going to happen next. Great ending and an interesting milieu take it the rest of the way home. B+

• cineedo
  • gingerjew

★★★★ Added by gingerjew

I really enjoyed this film.
    It was smart and eerie throughout each scene, and had me guessing at a few parts.

Although I feel like, as an American, most everything sounds better in a British accent. Had this movie been filled with strictly American actors, I probably would not have been nearly intrigued.

Come to think of it, this mindest could be affecting my whole outlook on cinema. What other films could have been better with British actors...

Stay tuned.

• Eugene McCrann

★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

Polanski's compression chamber approach to ubiquitous corruption. The cleverly rolled out masquerade is significantly more magnetizing than the duplicity that's exhorting it, with Polanski remodeling Repulsion's house of psycho-sexual horrors into one of political tabloid - infidelity, covetous personal aids, well spoken passive aggression, alcoholism and political puppeteering. McGregor does a nice job as the POV drone, gazing half curiously at the preposterous security measures while generally taking in the sense of unease. Second half drags - if Lang needed…

• Lorrany Oliveira

★★½ Watched by Lorrany Oliveira 05 Apr, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this movie. On a side, it has a great plot and an interesting development, But on the other side its progress is slow and boring. Seems to me that a lot of pieces do not fit and the real storyline gets confuse amidst all those things that get a large amount of focus but turns out having no actual importance in the end.
    I don't know if it's pretty good or awfully bad. Must rewatch later and make up my mind.

• kpitman

★★★★★ Rewatched by kpitman 03 Apr, 2014

A smart but simple political thriller about a writer hired to finish the memoirs of Britain's former PM, only to find that the previous writer may have been murdered when he found out too much about his subject.
    Beautifully shot, well-acted, and ends with a finale that is one of the better movie endings I've ever seen. Roman Polanski had to recreate Cape Cod in Europe, and does an amazing job.

That ending stays with you and makes you want to watch the movie over again. So good.

• rakésh mohandas

★★★★ Watched by rakésh mohandas 23 Mar, 2014

A taut verbose thriller which is political and mysteriously inter-layered.

Polanski's revelatory treatment is what makes the movie otherwise different from what is usual.