• moviemanwill

★★★★ Added by moviemanwill

That last shot. THAT LAST SHOT!

• JPALM007

★★★½ Watched by JPALM007 03 Apr, 2015

Enjoyable enough, glad I watched it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Great actors, decent albeit predictable/cliche outcome. Pretty scathing on Tony Blair

• Mark C

★★★½ Rewatched by Mark C 05 Apr, 2015 4

There's little original in The Ghost, especially when its big reveal harks back to the work of Frederick Forsyth (specifically the stuff about then leader of the GLC Ken Livingstone in his novel The Fourth Protocol) and the paranoid delusions of Peter 'Spycatcher' Wright - albeit with a 21st Century, Post Cold War twist, but regardless of its familiarity this remains a strong outing for director Roman Polanski in the twilight of his career.

In Robert Harris' novel (which he…

• William Kretschmer

★★★½ Watched by William Kretschmer 11 Nov, 2012

A ghostwriter hired to complete the memoirs of a former British prime minister uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.
    In all departments skillfully executed thriller, although the final revelation of the conspiracy is rather disappointing.

• Nazeer Vawda

★★★★ Watched by Nazeer Vawda 25 Mar, 2015

I've known about this film since it came out. I was so excited. The Trailer made it look like a Da Vinci Code kinda thriller and I love that. SO for five years I was look for this film (whenever I remembered it exists) and today I found it. And it was glorious. It isn't a Da Vinci Code style thriller. It's a very slow movie, that keeps pulling twists and turns.This isn't a whodunit thriller though, it's much more…

• Paukzen

★★★ Rewatched by Paukzen 25 Dec, 2010

DVD, Casa Pollio

• Josephus

★★★ Watched by Josephus 22 Mar, 2015

If I ever could own this fantastic beachhouse. Best of all, the beachhouse was a set in Usedom (interior & exterior) and Sylt (landscape) although it's supposed to be on Martha's Vineyard as Polanski can't enter the US. The NY publishing house actually is in Berlin.

Until the very end, an enjoyable plot that only suffers from a weak ending and lost the movie half a star.

• Aaron King

★★★★ Rewatched by Aaron King 14 Mar, 2015 8

I saw this film five years ago and loved it but hasn't seen it since then and wanted to see if it held up and man did it ever. The film reminds me of the great paranoid thrillers from the 70s and the ending is brutal.

• cspooner

★★½ Watched by cspooner 10 Mar, 2015

Within ten minutes it became clear I was watching a novel adaptation. Unfortunately it was also clear the novel was probably 1000x better. It had a few good lines, from the book no doubt, but other than that the scenes seemed to blend into each other with no real suspense or emotional fluctuation of any sort. I feel like I could've watched the first and last 15 minutes and still enjoy it equally.

Also, Obi-Wan Kenobi so +1/2 star. But also douchey James Bond so -1/2 star. Ah, so close.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

An intelligent and well-made political thriller with great photography, smart characters and terrific acting. What's not to like? The script does a great job of telling a complicated story in a very simple way and keeps you interested in the main character, who in comparison to everyone else is pretty boring (thankfully Ewan McGregor has a knack for playing boring people - just like William Hurt). My only complaint is in the end the film leans on the politics rather…

• Jakub Flasz

★★★½ Watched by Jakub Flasz 23 Feb, 2015

Films like that only serve to remind me of a vast ocean of cinema that I have not yet watched, or I am in a dire need of re-watching due to memory loss problems. As such, "The ghost writer" is Roman Polanski's subdued attempt at going back to his roots. It is a paranoid thriller of a hitchcockian variety where a man (McGregor) finds himself in a situation where he can't trust anyone and his life may be at stake…

• Tim Schäfer

Watched by Tim Schäfer 08 Feb, 2015

Pierce Brosnan totally fits into that role.