• Juan Jiménez

★★★★ Added by Juan Jiménez

Dotado de un escenario que pareciera sacado de algunas de las cintas de Bergman (me recordó Through a Glass Darkly), Polanski hace un Shyamalan.

• PatrickRipoll

★★★★ Added by PatrickRipoll

Gets so far by merely not stumbling where thrillers often do: the plot isn't twisty for the sake of it, the film doesn't force action set-pieces where they don't belong, the characters are three-dimensional, and, most shockingly of all, I didn't always know what was going to happen next. Great ending and an interesting milieu take it the rest of the way home. B+

• cineedo
  • gingerjew

★★★★ Added by gingerjew

I really enjoyed this film.
    It was smart and eerie throughout each scene, and had me guessing at a few parts.

Although I feel like, as an American, most everything sounds better in a British accent. Had this movie been filled with strictly American actors, I probably would not have been nearly intrigued.

Come to think of it, this mindest could be affecting my whole outlook on cinema. What other films could have been better with British actors...

Stay tuned.

• Eugene McCrann

★★½ Added by Eugene McCrann

Polanski's compression chamber approach to ubiquitous corruption. The cleverly rolled out masquerade is significantly more magnetizing than the duplicity that's exhorting it, with Polanski remodeling Repulsion's house of psycho-sexual horrors into one of political tabloid - infidelity, covetous personal aids, well spoken passive aggression, alcoholism and political puppeteering. McGregor does a nice job as the POV drone, gazing half curiously at the preposterous security measures while generally taking in the sense of unease. Second half drags - if Lang needed…

• Lorrany Oliveira

★★½ Watched by Lorrany Oliveira 05 Apr, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this movie. On a side, it has a great plot and an interesting development, But on the other side its progress is slow and boring. Seems to me that a lot of pieces do not fit and the real storyline gets confuse amidst all those things that get a large amount of focus but turns out having no actual importance in the end.
    I don't know if it's pretty good or awfully bad. Must rewatch later and make up my mind.

• kpitman

★★★★★ Rewatched by kpitman 03 Apr, 2014

A smart but simple political thriller about a writer hired to finish the memoirs of Britain's former PM, only to find that the previous writer may have been murdered when he found out too much about his subject.
    Beautifully shot, well-acted, and ends with a finale that is one of the better movie endings I've ever seen. Roman Polanski had to recreate Cape Cod in Europe, and does an amazing job.

That ending stays with you and makes you want to watch the movie over again. So good.

• rakésh mohandas

★★★★ Watched by rakésh mohandas 23 Mar, 2014

A taut verbose thriller which is political and mysteriously inter-layered.

Polanski's revelatory treatment is what makes the movie otherwise different from what is usual.

• EvilTwinRuss

★★★★½ Watched by EvilTwinRuss 15 Mar, 2014

Another great thriller from my favorite fugitive from justice, Roman Polanski. Liked in the theater and liked it when I finally got the chance to watch again finally. Filled with atmosphere in an off season Martha's Vineyard and a movie that is political without being didactic. The Brosnan character is a fascinating figure whose tribulations very much mirror the directors. My homeboy Ewan remains one of the most underrated movie stars who can actually act on the planet. Understated, charismatic,…

• FridayPfender

★★★½ Watched by FridayPfender 13 Mar, 2014

I think that Roman Polanski might be my favorite director.

• Samuel B. Prime

★★★★ Rewatched by Samuel B. Prime 07 Mar, 2014

Fuck whoever keyed the airport scene (seriously), but this political thriller from Polanski holds up much better on a re-watch than I might have expected.

• Pignut

★½ Added by Pignut

Awful. Either this film can't make up its mind whether it wants to be a serious political thriller or a trashy action movie, or it aims for the former and misses by a really long way.

I know it's Polanski, but it's directed in the sort of way I'd direct a film halfway through a bottle of gin. I can only describe it as amateurish and boring - there's even a five-minute sequence of Google search results on a screen.…