• Jake Bart

★★★★★ Watched by Jake Bart 02 Jun, 2014

Hadn't seen it since the year it was released. Boy oh boy does it hold up. As deliciously made and devilishly entertaining as paranoid thrillers get these days. Meticulously crafted by Polanski.

• luis reséndiz

★★★★★ Rewatched by luis reséndiz 11 May, 2014 2

digámoslo sin exagerar: the ghost writer es una película perfecta. ¿no? a ver, revisemos: está su fotografía, con esos hermosos cielos despeñados en el expresionismo, en acentuar lo ominoso; están sus diálogos, punzantes, precisos, nunca despreciando la inteligencia de su espectador; está su guion, escrito con una concentración en el suspenso tal que resulta difícil encontrar otros a su altura (no es el único apartado en el que es clara descendiente del mejor hitchcock); está su música y su mezcla…

• Jabba Hutt

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jabba Hutt 03 Apr, 2014

A smart but simple political thriller about a writer hired to finish the memoirs of Britain's former PM, only to find that the previous writer may have been murdered when he found out too much about his subject.
    Beautifully shot, well-acted, and ends with a finale that is one of the better movie endings I've ever seen. Roman Polanski had to recreate Cape Cod in Europe, and does an amazing job.

That ending stays with you and makes you want to watch the movie over again. So good.

• Eric

★★★★★ Watched by Eric 18 May, 2010

A slick thriller from Roman Polanski with stand out performances from Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnon. With definite shades of classic film noir, Polanski keeps us in the dark most of the film, creating a wicked "behind closed doors" tone. Brosnon plays a former prime minister whose ghost writer turns up dead. McGregor steps in to replace him and begins uncovering more dirt than he can handle.

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★★★ Added by JoseIgnacioWert

Polanski consiguió volver a la actualidad estrictamente cinematográfica gracias a este espléndido thriller en la mejor tradición de Hichcock.

Con un ritmo medido y una dirección muy elegante, el polaco envuelve al espectador en su interesante historia, basada en una novela de Robert Harris, aquí coautor del guión. Tras una atractiva presentación de situación y personajes, la película parece experimentar un bajón cuando McGregor sale a investigar por su cuenta, pero a partir de la secuencia de la persecución en…

• Lukas Funk

★★★★★ Added by Lukas Funk

This has been my favourite thriller ever since seeing it for the first time. Ewan McGregor's character is very interesting and he's convincing in every scene. I can't quite put my finger on it but music and camera work, along with the development of the characters make this a very special film for me. This is perfect.

• Eli Showalter

★★★★★ Added by Eli Showalter

This is one of my favorite movies to put on in the background when I'm working. The mix of stormy New-England atmosphere, tension-building music, and international thriller plot put me in the mood for some reason. While this movie constantly reinforces to me that Brosnan lacks the acting chops to portray someone who isn't cool and collected all the time, Ewan Mcgregor smooths things over. He's great.

• Sara

★★★★★ Watched by Sara 22 Sep, 2013

A very smart story. Roman Polanski is a genius to direct this movie and this is one of the best performances of Ewan McGregor.

• Matt Thomas

★★★★★ Added by Matt Thomas

An excellent, restrained and tense thriller. Brosnan & McGregor are perfectly cast.

• Jesue Valle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jesue Valle 24 Aug, 2013

It feels good to sit back and watch a movie and know that you're in the hands of a director who knows what they're doing and knows exactly how they want their film to be.

I can never resist seeing this film again and again, revisiting this world Polanski creates of paranoia, isolation and uncanniness.

• Brien Kelly

★★★★★ Rewatched by Brien Kelly 23 Aug, 2013

I love this movie, but the dubbing drives me nuts.

• Mark_Lemmond

★★★★★ Watched by Mark_Lemmond 05 Aug, 2013

A novel idea for a thriller in the hands of a master produces an excellent movie. Polanski is great at using complicated events to showcase the basest human emotions and paranoia is an old favorite.