• Michael Schmidt

★★★½ Watched by Michael Schmidt 28 Mar, 2015

Ganz nett. Hatte mehr Finsternis erwartet. Und mehr Mystery. Vielleicht nochmal anschauen.

• SriK

★★★★ Watched by SriK 31 Mar, 2015

It's a good movie with a really intense atmosphere and more than a few really gripping scenes, but plot-wise it's overall kind of uneven. I cared way more about Lisbeth's story than anything else happening onscreen; Daniel Craig's character's investigation seemed almost secondary, and I wasn't nearly as invested in it until the end.

• Jeremy Clark

★★★★★ Added by Jeremy Clark

What is hidden in snow comes forth in the thaw. If you're about to enter the world of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for the first time, this is a terrific place to start. I’ve read the novels and seen the 2009 Swedish film, knew everything that was going to happen, and I was still captivated. Family skeletons. Power and corruption. Dark allure and damaged brilliance. A transfixing glimpse into a cold and brutal universe that seethes with twisted…

• Xplodera

★★★ Rewatched by Xplodera 29 Mar, 2015

“You can nod because it's true. I am insane”

If you must do an American adaption of something, I really appreciate when real effort is put into it and luckily that’s obvious as soon as you realize David Fincher is behind the wheel in this American remake of the Swedish movie Män Som Hatar Kvinnor. If that wasn’t enough, the movie starts off with a kickass version of Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, so what could really go wrong with…

• hakan1395

★★★★ Rewatched by hakan1395 30 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

I never understood why this was one of Fincher's least loved films. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has all the elements of a great Fincher thriller and more.

For starters, we have the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross which is no weaker than the score for the Social Network or Gone Girl. We have Jeff Cronenweth, who in my opinion delivers the best visuals he had ever delivered. The sound is mixed and delivered as well as…

• Frederic Da

★★★½ Watched by Frederic Da 29 Mar, 2015 1

Very blah and convoluted for the first 20 minutes before hitting a harrowing peak for a good hour and a half and ultimately losing steam again in its denouement. But that hour and a half was totally worth it.

• Jonathan Boehle

★★★½ Watched by Jonathan Boehle 20 Dec, 2011

(Originally posted at the AwardsWatch forums the day viewing; slightly modified to remove group discussion points)

All in all, pretty much what I expected - bloated but enjoyable enough, mostly thanks to Fincher, the tech people and Mara/Lisbeth.

Having never read the book, I can see why it would be such a hit - the story is provocative, the mystery is pretty intriguing if incredibly convoluted, and it's anchored by one likeable enough character and one incredibly compelling character. Lisbeth…

• Mareks Smilga

★★★★ Watched by Mareks Smilga 11 Jan, 2012

Neko daudz nezinu par romāniem un zviedru filmas versiju, taču šī man patika pat ļoti. Ne gluži klasiska Finčera filma, taču labi uzburta atmosfēra un interesantie varoņi strādā labi.

• Starsk

★★½ Rewatched by Starsk 25 Mar, 2015

James Bond goes to Sweden and gets caught up in a pretty tedious storyline. For a Fincher movie, this is well below par and compares poorly to his masterful previous work like Zodiac, Fight Club and The Social Network. It does contain his trademark atmospheric sheen, which is very welcome, but the story is just too stodgy and bloated. Best part is the beginning with an impressive cover of the mighty Immigrant Song.

• Jules Mumford

★★★★ Watched by Jules Mumford 28 Aug, 2012

Unless you have been living on the outlying tip of a remote island, under a pile of rocks, you may well of heard of the late Stieg Larsson and his Millennium book trilogy.

The books have been phenomenally successful, kick started a Swedish literary thriller bonanza and inspired three critically acclaimed and box office successful Swedish film versions, albeit subtitled for English speaking markets.

Whether there was a need for a remake, is largely irrelevant, Hollywood found many compelling arguments,…

• David Gómez-Rosado

★★★½ Watched by David Gómez-Rosado 20 Mar, 2012

So different to the original Swedish movie, it deserves its own assessment. It uncovers parts of the novel not done properly in the former, but it also hides aspects better defined before. Overall, less shocking than the predecessor film.

• connie