• Braindead

★★★½ Watched by Braindead 23 Oct, 2014

“Is great when a machine films other machines” said Rivette regarding Kubrick’s 2001. I have always felt that this quote would be more suitable for someone like David Fincher, who like Kubrick has been accused of being cold. Maybe it’s because both directors have an interest in exploring men darkest impulses that this coldness is somehow inevitable. However, while Kubrick’s later films work in a grander, abstract scale, where the characters are often nothing more than Kubrick’s guinea pigs, Fincher…

• nosaj

★★★★½ Rewatched by nosaj 22 Oct, 2014

information, information, information

• Scott Johnson

★★★ Watched by Scott Johnson 18 Oct, 2014

Running time is 158 minutes. The middle 110 minutes is fantastic. The opening 30 minutes happened *so fast* it made my head spin. There wasn't a non-rushed conversation for at least 30 minutes into the movie. The last 20 minutes felt the same. Just in a hurry.

Rooney Mara was pretty great though.

• Hemi

★★★ Added by Hemi

This was actually better then i expected. I have not read the books so i have no context from there.

• Wilson

★★★½ Rewatched by Wilson 19 Oct, 2014

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a finely constructed thriller, it is impressively directed, it has a cinematic sheen that the Oplev Swedish version does not. David Fincher marshals the story and actors very successfully, however the unwieldy plotting straight from the novel gives this film a weak centre to revolve around. The first hour, where the film trades between Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are the weakest, Craig in particular does not convince in his role.

However, once…

• fotobill

★★★★ Watched by fotobill 18 Oct, 2014 1

το είδα την ημέρα που τελείωσα το βιβλίο και ήταν μια υπέροχη οπτική επανάληψη

• Nuno

★★★★ Watched by Nuno 18 Oct, 2014

Terrifying and mesmerizing adaptation from David Fincher...a must see film!

• Robert Armitage

★★★★ Watched by Robert Armitage 18 Oct, 2014

The movie took its time getting the two leads together and felt unfocused as their separate stories played out.. Another factor in that feeling is the left turn into the family drama or it felt like a left turn as it was happening. So, by the time Lisbeth and James Bond get together, the reasons for getting them together seemed more convenient than inevitable.
    The investigation felt very surfacey. The montages and music of 'I'm putting it all together' happened…

• Jayson Quearry

★★★★ Rewatched by Jayson Quearry 17 Oct, 2014

Stylistically unique to a degree that the Swedish original is not, Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel fits snuggly into the director's auteur style. Like Se7en, Zodiac, and The Game before it, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a procedural mystery. Fincher's deliberate, beat-by-beat pacing and cinematography feeds off of such a structure, using each reveal of information, each discovery as an indicator of characters' growing obsessions. Blomkvist and Salander bond over their shared obsession with digging up information,…

• Ryan H.

★★½ Rewatched by Ryan H. 15 Oct, 2014 1

As I've been sketching out some thoughts about Gone Girl, I wanted to revisit this one. I didn't warm up to it.

• markdlarson

★★★ Watched by markdlarson 29 Sep, 2014

I loved the trippy oozy music video opening. Seemed like they were trying to kick off a brand. (I’m glad Fincher didn’t get sucked into a trilogy though). Dunno. It’s good. A little cold.

• Francesco Marioni

★★★★ Watched by Francesco Marioni 07 Oct, 2014

I read and was unimpressed by the book, I watched and was unimpressed by the Swedish trilogy of films and so it comes as a complete surprise to me that I found this absolutely terrific.
    Fincher's direction is effortlessly cinematic his cross cutting between the two protagonists at the end had me on the edge of my seat, Mara out performs Rapace and makes the character her own. A truly fantastic genre piece that is unfairly maligned.