• A_Dawg

★★★★

Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is hired by Henrik Vanger, the head of a wealthy family, to investigate the disappearance of his niece, who's been missing for 40 years. Henrik believes that one of his family murdered her. Blomkvist teams up with professional hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace - the "Girl" of the title) to try and solve the mystery. Well-constructed thriller benefits from the chemistry and performances of the two leads, particularly Rapace, who makes Salander a woman…

• Martin Tillkvist

★★★★

A very well put together crime story that still looks great. All of the characters are believable and even though the story is pretty straightforward, it's very intriguing.

• Skye Nathaniel Schiefer

★★★★

It bothers me a little that the mystery itself has nothing to do with the lead characters who take it up, meaning that their involvement is arbitrary—doubly so for Lisbeth, as she actually throws herself into it after monitoring Mikael's activities well beyond the investigation she was tasked with, and the reasons for her obsession are never made clear.

However, despite the circumstances, these characters manage to make the case feel personal to them, and it certainly doesn't hurt that…

• ristubasan

★★★★½

Every bit as gripping as the book, largely because the film is equally unapologetic in showing the horrific damage inflicted on women by many of the male characters. Helps that the acting is good.

• juliafletcher

Long but rewarding.

• Foggy Pebble

★★★★

The only part I didn't like was how Martin died, and his death was an important part of the story. A serial killer spooked into riding his car off a cliff because he's being tailed by someone on a small motorcycle, right right. I'd have liked the scene more if there was some logical reason for this, like perhaps she'd nicked a gun from his house and shot one of his tires causing him to not be able to turn away from the cliff. Dumb scene.

• Iamjacsmusings

★★★★

I watched these out of order, if you consider that a thing? I missed the zeitgeist moment when the Swedish originals were out originally and, as a big Fincher fan, caught the remake instead. It's safe to say, having now watched this version, that it was definitely a case of a pointless remake.

It's also no surprise what an international sensation Noomi Rapace went on to be as she is astounding in this (I know, Millennium's old news).

Did find…

• James Merchant

Extended Edition

• Matt Thomas

★★★★★

The original and the best. This film doesn't need to spell things out as much as Fincher's.

• Sigfred Storstrand

★★★★

It's great, but it's not Fincher though.

• reefak
  • detritustank

★★★★

Suspenseful, well acted. Loses some momentum near the end.