• Chris Gelderd

★★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Gelderd 30 Oct, 2014 1

This 2009 Swedish thriller, directed by Niels Arden Oplev, is based on the novel of the same name by Swedish author Stieg Larsson and the first in the trilogy known as the ‘Millennium’ series, published in 2005. The film stars Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace, Sven-Bertil Taube, Peter Andersson, Lena Edfre and Peter Haber.

Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Nyqvist), publisher of ‘Millennium’ magazine, losel a libel case against billionaire financier Hans-Erik Wennerstrom (Stefan Sauk) and faces 3 months in prison. However,…

• Kaisergustaf

★★★★ Rewatched by Kaisergustaf 27 Oct, 2014

Such a great role for a young actress, we cheer her on in her fight against corrupted pigs and then the plot moves to the drama of the dissapeared girl. This original Swedish in much longer than the American remake, the photography is also warmer, softer. Two different ways to tell the story.

• Stu Kirwan

★★★★½ Watched by Stu Kirwan 19 Oct, 2014

Since we are unfortunately seemingly never going to get to see this trilogy completed at the hands of David Fincher, I figured it was high time I got round to the acclaimed Swedish versions.

I can see why people who see a movie based on a book that they have already read are often disappointed; knowing the story in advance taints your vision dramatically.

This was probably never going to match up to the Fincher version in my eyes (unashamedly biased) but it is still well-executed and in parts, even darker than it's English counterpart.

• thonika

Added by thonika

horrible. the first 3 pages of the book are better than this entire film with its made for tv movie feel

• Carlos

★★★★½ Added by Carlos

• jack_nance

★★★★ Watched by jack_nance 25 Sep, 2014

A "Library Look" selection. Being somewhat allergic to boffo box office blockbusters (especially trilogies, especially adapted from best sellers I've not read), I put these off for some time... but thought I'd give the original Swedish films some time.

On the plus side this is a mystery/thriller that concentrates on character and intelligence over kung fu and car chases. It also takes the genre of uneasy procedural partnerships and disassembles all the expectations.

An embattled veteran journalist is hired by…

• Derek Diercksmeier

★★★★★ Watched by Derek Diercksmeier 29 Sep, 2014 2

Wow.

This film is fucking phenomenal.

As much as I love David Fincher, I must say this version is vastly superior to his adaptation.

Noomi Rapace is absolutely iconic as Lisbeth Salander. She owns this role.

This story is richly detailed and ferociously compelling, with each scene more riveting than the last.

It's also a heartbreaking film. I was much more emotionally engaged than I could have expected.

This is deeply powerful storytelling.

It creates an extraordinary amount of tension…

• vinni2002

★★★★ Added by vinni2002

blu-ray
    extended version

• Luis Botelho

★★★ Watched by Luis Botelho 24 Sep, 2014

Eu gosto de pensar que a versão sueca tem um sério problema: não foi dirigida pelo Fincher.

• 24thhero

★★★★½ Added by 24thhero

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of the best mystery films that have been produced since Se7en, and that is saying a lot. Noomi Rapace is amazing and the film leaves you craving for a worthy sequel. Atmospheric and dark the film is an artistic suggestion.

• dasabsurde

★★★ Watched by dasabsurde 05 Sep, 2014

Vermeidet es, nur spannend sein zu wollen, bedient aber auch Klischees.

• Peter Pibson

★★★★★ Watched by Peter Pibson 16 Aug, 2014

Is knowledge a good thing? If the knowledge that is gained is obtained in an immoral manner, but provides a positive purpose, is it overall something moral? I don't know. People often mimic the phrase "knowledge is power!" as something lame and you'll be familiar with the trope of a character, often the villain, feeling cheated finding knowledge as their reward, as opposed to money, or treasures.

I'm just gonna leave this on relevant a Neil deGrasse Tyson quote...

"I…