• Patrick Mulcahy

★★½ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 07 Jul, 2011

A documentary about product placement funded entirely by the proceeds from product placement. That’s the conceit behind Pom Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, dreamed up by Super-Size Me director Morgan Spurlock.

Now Spurlock is a fool hardy filmmaker – wearing hillbilly facial hair in New York City takes guts. However, ever since he went looking for Osama Bin Laden in his last suck-u-mentary, he has lost his way creatively. (He didn’t find him – but did he have…

• Noah Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Noah Wilson 17 Sep, 2015

Definitely better than super size me. not super important, but funny and well made.

• honorsphysics

★★ Watched by honorsphysics 22 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Morgan Spurlock has built a reputation for going all the way to make a point, and this film is no different. The majority of the movie requires a very odd suspension of disbelief: "I am watching a movie about the development and structuring of the movie I am watching". It's almost as if a behind-the-scenes / making-of feature on a DVD graduated to a full film.

The camerawork (and use of juxtaposition) reminds me of Michael Moore's stuff, the interview…

• mattthephotoman

★★★ Added by mattthephotoman

I dont dislike morgan spurlock, hes no Michael moore but he is charismatic enough to keep your attention in this insight into the world of movie product placement.

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

Spurlock goes meta
    Selling ads to make a film
    About marketing.

• PhilParma

★★½ Added by PhilParma

"You have a couple choices. One choice is to allow yourself to be co-opted a little bit. You dip your toe in the water. Pretty soon you're putting your foot in the water. Pretty soon you're swimming. And you don't think you're changing. You just say 'okay I'll do a little more'...you end up swimming. That's what they're anticipating. The other option is to resist. And maybe end up in Montana, you know, growing your own food."

- Noam Chomsky

• turkie

½ Added by turkie

the wrong kind of meta movie.

• Judy

★★ Watched by Judy 23 Apr, 2015

It is interesting, but this is what I already know about Product Placements (I actually had a study about it). The approach was funny and satirical, but it is not so much of the Greatest Documentary to Ever tell me about my profession.

• Agnis

★★½ Watched by Agnis 18 Mar, 2015

Insight into the world of advertising with a somewhat novel approach.

• Nate Peterson

★★★ Watched by Nate Peterson 31 Jan, 2015

Kinda interesting, but like most Spurlock docs, doesn't really tell you anything you didn't already know.

• DanielRoss

★★★★★ Added by DanielRoss

Everything a documentary should be.

• Julian Towers

Added by Julian Towers

I learned more about product placement in one scene of Gone Girl than I did this in this whole non-movie.