• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

Morgan Spurlock's new documentary, "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold," finances itself by its own bootstraps. It is a movie about making a movie paid for by product placements. In fact, its official title is "POM Wonderful Presents the Greatest Movie Ever Sold," after the pomegranate juice that is, I now know, 100 percent pomegranate juice — unlike Minute Maid's, which is mostly apple and grape juice, with pomegranate finishing under 2 percent.

The film also makes mention of Hyatt Hotels,…

• Manuel Iragorry

★★½ Watched by Manuel Iragorry 02 Apr, 2014

Clever idea, wrong execution.

• Simon Carletti

★★★ Watched by Simon Carletti 25 Mar, 2014

This funny look at advertising tells the audience to open their eyes, while watching a film that keeps on advertising!

It's a clever premise, but an average documentary. However, when you get to the home stretch of the film, you can see the influence one film, about making a film, can have when you have some brands behind you...

• JJ79

★★½ Watched by JJ79 02 Mar, 2014

Tries to take on too much without delivering anything hard hitting or impactful. Noble effort to educate the public, but does anyone honestly, truly care about product placement in films? Instead of making his own film, Spurlock should have followed another film production, tracking the product placement there.

Points, though, for tackling a new subject even if it doesn't fully materialize on the screen.

• filibustier

★½ Watched by filibustier 09 Jan, 2014

Rarely entertaining and instantly forgettable, probably because it really doesn't need a feature-length film to convey its all too obvious message.

• Mr. DuLac

★★ Watched by Mr. DuLac 01 Dec, 2013

You can satirize and spoof yourself out of your objective. Out of this film may come a transformed, commercialized, corporatized Morgan Spurlock. And you'll never be able to shake that identity.
    -Ralph Nader

The synopsis for the film says "A documentary about branding, advertising and product placement that is financed and made possible by brands, advertising and product placement" and I actually think that's not completely correct. It's a film about THIS film's product placement and not much else which…

• Hiran Venugopalan

★★★½ Watched by Hiran Venugopalan 25 Nov, 2013

Very clever way of documentary making.

• Stu Kirwan

★★★ Watched by Stu Kirwan 17 Nov, 2013

Entertaining enough at times but whether the subject matter is important or interesting enough to make a documentary on is the question. Like with Super Size Me, Spurlock also exaggerates things massively in order to back-up the argument against advertising that he's trying to make.

• Eastwood Allen

★★★★ Rewatched by Eastwood Allen 09 Nov, 2013 1

My second viewing of this and I have to say I enjoyed it much more. Very clever use of the format when you think about it

• mistang

★★★★★ Watched by mistang 01 Dec, 2012

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Captain Howdy

★★★ Watched by Captain Howdy 23 Sep, 2013 2

Intro to Film # 3

Not selling out by selling out? I don't think I get Morgan Spurlock's sense of humor. But I enjoy the scenes of befuddled businessmen pretending to be civilized and 'caring about their product's appearance' in this documentary. Really reminds you of how trivial the movie making, fundraising process is. I also liked this idea that with sponsors you could lose complete artistic control of your film. Of your life. What do you mean, he can only eat Amy's Pizza? Oh I get it, you're all assholes. What's your brand personality? I like fart jokes.

• Dan

★★★½ Watched by Dan 14 Sep, 2013

If you've seen any of Morgan Spurlock's stuff, you know you aren't getting an impartial documentary. What you get is something entertaining, but Spurlock always has an agenda to get across and sacrifices the complete picture of his subject matter to show it. That's not necessarily a bad thing; he calls himself a filmmaker not a documentarian after all.

I think "Greatest Movie" is entertaining and an interesting look at advertising and product placement, but it's not the comprehensive look…