• Roger Joseph Ebert

★★★★½ Added by Roger Joseph Ebert

"The Grey" is an unrelenting demonstration that wolves have no opinion. When they attack, it's not personal. They've spent untold millennia learning how to survive, naked and without weapons, in fearsome places like the Arctic Circle in the dead of winter. They aren't precisely unarmed; they have their teeth and claws, but how far would that get us, even if we had rifles?

In the movie, a group of oil company workers get the opportunity to answer that question. They're…

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★½ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 31 Jan, 2012

Not quite as dumb as I was expecting (high praise, I know), it’s actually quite effective as both a tale of survival and an exploration of masculine anxieties. Where it falters, though, is in its usage of wolves: cool as they may be, the use of CGI (a death knell for a film such as this) to render them, as well as the frenetic editing depicting their attacks. It’s at odds with the carefully composed framing of much of the…

• Nazeer Vawda

★★★★ Rewatched by Nazeer Vawda 20 Apr, 2014

Still Fantastic

• Stephen Brown

★★★★ Watched by Stephen Brown 18 Apr, 2014

I was going to call this one of the best action films of recent years but it isn't really an action film. Mostly a survival story but the almost super natural wolves means it works as a horror film as well. Some of the visual effects are distracting but the excellent sound design does a great job of creating atmosphere and tension without having to show too much.

• James Gant

★★½ Added by James Gant

Ahh it was a little ridiculous, but not entirely a waste of my time.

• Tom Morton

★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 17 Apr, 2014

Starts well, ends well, sags terribly in between. Suffers from an interchangeable cast of supporting characters and (pretty unforgivably, for a film about wolves) terrible-looking wolves, at least when they're shown up close. Neeson is solid, but the cheesy flashbacks seemed like a desperate attempt to stir up emotion.

• Max Martinez

★★★★ Added by Max Martinez

I remember watching this movie in the theater and I was thinking that this movie is crazy. I was watching it and seeing everybody get picked off one by one by the wolves was scary. I was scared to see what was gonna happen next. I thought there are some drawbacks to this film but I honestly can't really remember them even though many people don't like the ending, I actually for what it was and in the end The Grey is a fun movie to watch and a good thriller(Well I treat it as that).

• Aaron T. Rex

★★★★½ Rewatched by Aaron T. Rex 15 Apr, 2014

The ending holds up great, but there was just a little something missing this time around. Maybe it was low expectations first go around. Neeson still kicks ass and almost everyone gets some good stuff to work with.

• Paul Davey

★★★½ Watched by Paul Davey 13 Apr, 2014

Hyper-masculine survival story, like Predator in Alaska. Better than it needed to be, though.

• Alex Leadbeater

★★★★ Watched by Alex Leadbeater 13 Apr, 2014

I knew from the hype around release that the Liam Neeson vs. Wolves trailers had been mis-marketing, but that didn't prepare me for this.
    Any familiarity The Grey has (the group of distinct characters picked off one by one by nature) is offset by a great sense of place (the wind howls like the wolves) and Neeson's anchoring performance.

• moviefreak666

★★★★ Rewatched by moviefreak666 28 Jan, 2012

THE GREY is a thrilling, heart pounding, depressing and terrifying movie about survival. It stars Liam Neeson (in one of his best roles)as John Ottway who survives a plane crash along with other survivors, the movie folds the plot along as they have to survive the brutal Alaskan cold and wind and...hungry ravaging wolves.

We know that wolves in real life are savage predators who hunt and eat their prey but in THE GREY they are portrayed as terrifying monsters…

• Si Sharp

★★★ Watched by Si Sharp 09 Apr, 2014

It would seem that Hollywood has run out of actors for Liam Neeson to punch in the face so it's time for the dogs.

Well-shot and acted, and to be fair, not that dumb given its simplicity.

I just found it a little boring. Maybe because I'm starting to find Liam Neeson a little boring.