• Timothy E. RAW

★★★★½ Added by Timothy E. RAW

A brooding rebuttal to Hollywood's bullshit ideas of masculinity. A film in which the men are men and the hero shows his bravery by admitting he's scared shitless.

The way the group deal with death has never felt more real -- music cut completely out so the audience have no familiar comforts, and the sound of a body's last movements amped up, so it brings out every aching, weirdly poetic moment of watching someone expire.

When it is used, Marc…

• LLFIN

Watched by LLFIN 29 Jul, 2015

ENough suspense and snow blizzard, but nothing really happened, men were escaping wolfs in the woods, wolfs were killing them or they just died accidentally and the end was not even told. rather dull. even though it was with Liam Neeson.

• pstead

★★★½ Watched by pstead 19 May, 2016

Man vs Wolf. Standard survival movie which shifts into existentialism.

• pillole di cinema

★★★ Watched by pillole di cinema 24 Oct, 2012

I due maschi alpha che combattono si prestano sempre a molte chiavi di lettura, la mia però, è che The Grey sia soltanto un film irrisolto.

• Mark James Atienza

★★★★ Watched by Mark James Atienza 25 Jul, 2012

...an emotional and satisfyingly grisly thriller.

• Gabby Ferro

★★★★½ Watched by Gabby Ferro 08 May, 2016

A poignant character based film with a great performance at the center. Touching, with added help from stunning visuals.

• William Wright

★★★★½ Rewatched by William Wright 15 May, 2016

"I'm going to start beating the shit out of you in the next five seconds. And you're going to swallow a lot of blood for a fucking billfold."

Like many things about The Grey, this dialogue seems slight to begin with, but after a series of brilliant echoes -- a cycle of memories and fragments, occurring and recurring -- it becomes quietly heartbreaking. Neeson is older and more fragile than his stereotyping might suggest, and those who enter expecting an…

• Flo Reh

★★★ Watched by Flo Reh 10 May, 2016

Spannend! Der weiße Hai ist ein Kindergeburtstag gegen diese Wölfe!

• Degaré Moreau

★★★ Added by Degaré Moreau

This is much closer to a horror film than I imagined it would be and much more touching to boot.

• Flo Lieb

★★½ Rewatched by Flo Lieb 06 May, 2016

Maybe because I rewatched the mediocre The Edge prior to this, maybe because it was already late but I did not enjoy The Grey the second time around as much as I did back at the movies. One of the issues (still) is that this film way overstays it's welcome. This should've been a crisp 90 minutes survival thriller. I do love that poem though.

• Neil Studd

★★★ Watched by Neil Studd 24 Apr, 2016

Essential viewing for prospective wallet inspectors.

• Steve Schrader

★★★★ Watched by Steve Schrader 23 Apr, 2016

If I'm ever stranded in the Alaskan wilderness, I really hope Liam Neeson is with me.

This is a fairly intense story about survival, but at it's heart it's even more a story about how we face our own mortality. Really nicely shot and good sound work really makes the environment and the dangers it contains come alive. Might be a bit slow paced for some, but I really enjoyed it.