• Phil Sternwise

★★★ Added by Phil Sternwise

Okay. When your plane crashes in the middle of winter and you're miles from the woods, and you're surrounded by wolves... here's the deal: you just struck it rich. Mother nature just gave you a smorgasbord lining up for you to eat. Stay at the plane, build a fire, make lots of weapons from the metal, and let them come to you. One by one you'll have one barbecue after another. Do not leave the plane and continue to fortify…

• Richard Murphy

★★½ Added by Richard Murphy

Not Neeson's finest hour. Very slow and often quite boring. Stay away from this one.

• Kevin Wight

★★★★½ Watched by Kevin Wight 12 May, 2015

I tried to think of another instance in which I felt moved at the end of an action, or survival-thriller film. Not just engaged or adrenalized, but really strongly, emotionally connected. I think the last time was perhaps The Descent, and this was coincidentally the film that I kept returning to as a comparison while watching The Grey.

I had completely disregarded Joe Carnahan’s film upon its release, assuming it to be another generic entry in Liam Neeson’s action renaissance.…

• ThrashtilDeath

★★★½ Rewatched by ThrashtilDeath 17 May, 2015

Fuck wolves.

• molf

★★½ Watched by molf 17 May, 2015

The premise is exceptionally stupid. But it's quite entertaining nonetheless, and the scenery and sound design are fantastic.

• Tom Bozeman

★★½ Watched by Tom Bozeman 16 May, 2015

The first 40 minutes were a surprisingly strong example of solid genre filmmaking - and then Carnahan detours into a morass of hamfisted sentimentality, gratuitous interpersonal drama, and preposterously inane philosophizing. The rest of the film veers sharply between each of those moods, resulting in a film both disappointing and (tellingly) Carnahan's best to date.

• Bludgeoner86

★★★ Watched by Bludgeoner86 05 May, 2015

The Grey is a lot like that movie, Alive. In fact there is a scene that directly references the movie and how they ate all dat ass. But the folks on this plane are rugged Alaskan oil workers, no way they will eat dat ass. Luckily for them this movie is only about surviving a huge pack of wolves, wolves that wanna eat dat ass. So you have Liam Neeson and crew running through the icy tundra, getting picked off…

• Kevin Collins

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Collins 09 May, 2015

Film #11 of the "Scavenger Hunt" Challenge!
    Task #25: A survival film!
    letterboxd.com/kcoll001/list/scavenger-hunt/

I’ve passively disapproved of most of Liam Neeson’s post-Taken career, so the Grey was a surprise. I’d always heard it summarized as a middle of the road survival story involving ridiculous hand-to-hand combat with wolves. The film is much more tense, heartfelt, contemplative, and substantial than it’s often given credit. Replete with both spoken and unspoken moments of profundity, the characters are forced to confront their mortality.…

• Gaurav Basnyat

★★★½ Watched by Gaurav Basnyat 11 May, 2015

Hauntingly Depressive!

• Marna Larsen

★★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

Hard to get away from. Made me really not want to venture too far from my house (there's this logging road not far from my house where the pack here has been seen...well, probably not so much now that it's been bought and turned into subdivisions. Yay, progress)!

• Adam Kaump

★★★★½ Watched by Adam Kaump 04 May, 2015

Thoroughly enjoyable. Excellent plane crash scene. Wolves were an amazing source of tension. Vistas were beautiful. There were several scenes that I'll be thinking about a long time from now.

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Watched by Reece Leonard 03 May, 2015

Not just another Liam Neeson popcorn film, "The Grey" is surprisingly poignant and comes complete with existential musings, an indictment of the toxic nature of masculinity, thrilling action sequences, and a phenomenal central performance from Neeson.