• Dan Corbett

★★★★ Watched by Dan Corbett 24 Nov, 2014 1

I watched The Grey for the first time last night. Since I had very little preconceived notions about the film, other than I heard that it was generally well received, I was pleasantly surprised by my reaction to the film. I didn’t even know that it was a survival horror story coupled with a meditation on life and death. Watching Liam Neeson’s Ottway (perfectly cast and played) and his small group battle the brutal Alaskan environment as well as an…

• Tom McHenry

★★★ Watched by Tom McHenry 21 Nov, 2014

Some men stagger out of a plane crash to be set upon by wolves over and over again. Essentially the Perils of Pauline but lacquered over with suicidal despair. The wolf effects are silly but the plane crash itself has a shocking beauty.

• MovieMan23

★★★½ Added by MovieMan23

A fresh film that is more thought provoking than enjoyable.

• Sarah

★★★★ Watched by Sarah 21 Nov, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• link_be

★★★ Watched by link_be 21 Nov, 2014

Snow, freezing wind and death...
    Liam is not the one who knocks this time.
    This movie is about survival but maybe too much ;)

• cwcarruth23

★★★½ Watched by cwcarruth23 19 Nov, 2014

Liam Neeson never fails to impress me, and once again in this film I am impressed. Despite the movie not being completely what I thought it was going to be, I still enjoyed it!

The everlasting suspenseful moments of this movie is what really kept my attention when I would start to get bored here and there, and especially worrying if anything was going to happen to good 'ol Liam! It was sad to see the different characters get killed…

• esosh

★★★★ Watched by esosh 17 Nov, 2014

Fucking wolves running around, teasing, howling and preying and shit.. Damn..

• Devon Rosenberg

★★★★ Added by Devon Rosenberg

I saw this movie the first time I ever got high. It was weird.

• Kaisersoze

★★★★½ Rewatched by Kaisersoze 16 Nov, 2014

A criminally under-rated film that cemented Liam Neeson's rise to the top of the action-thriller market, and is actually far deeper than one might expect from viewing the trailers. The direction by Joe Carnahan is spot on and most of the characters feel real enough that you come to care about their survival. Featuring a note-perfect ending, this is not one to watch with your squeamish significant other.

• Joey

★★★★★ Added by Joey

I take my five star ratings very seriously. There are truly great, classic movies I will only give 4.5 stars because it takes a LOT for me to consider a movie 5-Star A+ Perfect. This movie was the first since Fellowship of the Ring to earn that distinction, and it couldn't be more different from that movie.

The Grey is a stark, beautiful poem about death. That's really all I can say without writing an essay. To me, this movie is perfect.

• Jodyle

★★★½ Added by Jodyle

Εκεί που σου πετάει το απρόσμενο, εκεί σου παραθέτει και το προβλέψιμο κι εκεί που πεθαίνεις για τη ζωή, εκεί ζεις για να πεθάνεις. Νομίζω στην τελική ότι αυτό ήταν και το μυστικό του.

• Adrian Zachow

★★★½ Watched by Adrian Zachow 30 Sep, 2012

Often horrific survival drama about 7 plane crash survivors fighting for their lives against a pack of woods in the wilderness. Liam Neeson puts in a commanding performance and there is the chillingly effective sound design and impactful editing (and gore) to ramp up the tension and scares, but the film sometimes has moments in which it tries to approach themes of spirituality and comes off as a bit pretentious. Not a deal breaker though - a solid thriller.