• Dave Holmes

★★★★½ Added by Dave Holmes

Stunning, visceral , deeply involving film. Direction and performances are perfect. As in Jaws the predator effects are dodgy, unless used subtly, which thankfully, they are, mostly. As in Jaws, the predators get a mostly-undeserved rap, but as in Jaws, the predators are used primarily as metaphor. The Grey ain't no uplifting survival epic, there's a tiny bit of self-indulgent philosophising, but mostly, the message - about a man rediscovering faith, and a will to live - is beautifully conveyed. And i love the way it ends too.

• Mosh Graye

★★★★★ Rewatched by Mosh Graye 27 Sep, 2015

A film that sucks all the hot air out of the action spectacle and replaces it with cold, unflinching reality about our place in the world, in the universe.

• Andrew D.

★★ Watched by Andrew D. 25 Sep, 2015

He should've been punching wolves the entire movie.

A Scott Free Production! I was mildly excited to watch this, but it left me wanting more. This is my first Joe Carnahan movie, and he is one of those director with a style that I have trouble getting into: he loves close-ups, and to a fault, I'd say. In a lot of cases where I wanted to see the wreckage and/or the landscapes, he shows Neeson and other actors faces. Sure,…

• jarrettouthere

★★★★ Added by jarrettouthere

Bareknuckle brawling giant wolves bro.

• Calum Iain MacIver

½ Watched by Calum Iain MacIver 28 Mar, 2013

Far from being the ultimate in survival movies, which "The Grey" purports to be, it is in fact one of the most ridiculously idiotic and facile movies I've seen in a very long time. It tells the story of John Ottway (Liam Neeson), a suicidal Alaskan wolf hunter, who is employed by an oil company to protect their installations. With his job completed Ottway fly’s home alongside a planeload of oil workers, but unfortunately their aircraft crashes into the vast…

• Mark Richards

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mark Richards 20 Sep, 2015 2

This movie taught me 2 things: don't fuck with wolves, and don't fuck with Liam Neeson.

• Luca Lagerstrom

★★★★★ Watched by Luca Lagerstrom 18 Sep, 1270

"Live or die on this day."

Liam Neeson stars in an intense cinematic fight for survival with trusting companions by his side. This is by far one of the most intense movies I have seen in recent years.

This is not only about a man's fight for survival. It is about a man's strong hope to live and his painful loss of faith in God. This story may not be so original, but it so shot so amazingly and acted…

• Sam Blackburn

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sam Blackburn 13 Sep, 2015

After Taken Liam Neeson's career resurged and he became the go to guy for the old man kicking ass movies. Now while Taken 2 and 3 were bad he has managed to be able to do better with movies outside of Taken and I believe that "The Grey" might be the best one. You feel the cold and everything the characters have to go through to prevent being eaten by wolves and Liam Neeson continues to show that even in a movie like this he will still deliver a awesome performance.

• Vikram Dogra

★★★★½ Watched by Vikram Dogra 17 Sep, 2015

Extra star for black dude makin' the first cut!

• GumboGumbo

Watched by GumboGumbo 27 Aug, 2015

Jarrett Duncan Memorial Film Challenge
    12/30 A movie about the outdoors

It's blunt. Could be a bit sharper. I need lots of edge in my movies, for I am such an edgy man!

did a good enough job of putting some nature fear in me
    entertaining men man male movie

• Josh Savage

★★★½ Added by Josh Savage

A lot better and grimmer than I expected, with an utterly frustrating ending, yet you know it was the best way to end the film.

• Justin Willis

★★★ Watched by Justin Willis 23 Aug, 2015

A true testimony to human's will to survive, The Grey is a thrilling survival/horror/action/thinker movie that sets a unique tone and delivers on it. Liam Neeson does a phenomenal job anchoring this movie as the likable survivalist, while still giving us the emotion needed for the tougher scenes. The movie's themes are about giving your all, every day, no matter what struggles are before you. The ending in particular really nails this theme home, crafting a unusual yet oddly satisfying…