• Gabriel Hardman

★★★ Rewatched by Gabriel Hardman 26 Jun, 2015

I love all the Jim Thompson perversity loaded in this movie but as filmmaking, I'm less convinced. There are good performances but the script is sloppy, full of half-formed ideas and entertaining but ultimately pointless flashbacks. And the film itself is just poorly made. But all that said, there is still plenty to enjoy here.

• Sam M.

★★ Watched by Sam M. 22 Jun, 2015

Hey look at this deadly serious movie about absolutely nothing that never really wavers from Decent overall at any point. Doesn't that make you desperate to watch it?

• moviegrande

★½ Watched by moviegrande 17 Jun, 2015

I guess I was expecting more of a stylish slickly made film with very violent scenes but this isn't that. It's a lot slower than that and kind of got boring to me by the middle. Not without its shining moments, "the grifters", doesn't warrant a watch other than to watch some fine performances by the main cast.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 05 Jun, 2015 1

"Well, who's a boy gonna talk to if not his mother?"

Who would have thought Lester Burnham's wife could play a conniving Bimbo to perfection?

John Cusack excels in a restrained performance.

Anjelica Huston as expected nails down the part of the experienced grifter who has seen it all.

A juicy neo noir with killer lines with twists and turns around the corner!

• Samuel B. Prime

★★★★ Watched by Samuel B. Prime 03 Jun, 2015

"Screw this noise."

aka Oedipus Roy

Long legs for the long, hard con. Right, Roy? Only the short-sighted prefer the short game, because it's the only sort of game they'll ever know. Right, Roy...

• Reego

★★★★½ Added by Reego

A neo nor knockout of a film that I adore, John cusack delivers a decent performance, he of course, is one of my favorite actors, but I felt this film was more for Hollywood's powerhouse Angelica Huston and Annette Bening. Something about Bening that I find attractive, somewhat was her physical beauty, but I think is the way she brought the character, that little wild, sex con artist kitten performance, overall great, great film, with some elite acting.

• Scott D'Agostino

★★★ Watched by Scott D'Agostino 19 May, 2015

An interesting neo-noir with a star-making performance from Annette Bening.

• PerseuEvans

★★★★ Rewatched by PerseuEvans 16 May, 2015

Showing the danger and the excitement in the world of "grifting", but also the misery and complicated backstory of the people behind it, Frears develops a powerful drama with tragic consequences. Anjelica Houston delivers the best performance in her career.

• RoundMyWay

★★★ Watched by RoundMyWay 25 Apr, 2015

"The Grifters," has some great parts and some not so great parts: for one the pacing was slow, 30 minutes of character exposition could have easily been cut from the film and I would have understood what was going on. Also, despite what the film shows us about these characters in the beginning, those characteristics do not figure into where the movie goes at all. They are all much darker than what we think but I was left feeling like…

• Teenagecaveman

★★★ Watched by Teenagecaveman 25 Apr, 2015

I think the dialogue on this film was a bit too novelesque and at time the line readings were stilted and unnatural. If could have been an issue is the script or it could have been the direction to the actors and it's had to tell where the fault lay.

It's certainly worth watching though.

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 06 Apr, 2015

#90sMarathon

Stephen Frears had such a great start to his career. The Hit, My Beautiful Launderette, Dangerous Liaisons, and this, The Grifters.

The Grifters is a 1990 crime movie, like The Godfather: Part III and Goodfellas. But unlike those, this is more about conmen and less about wise guys and mafioso types. The film is a neonoir to the bone, about the terrible impulses within all of us. John Cusack plays a young conman, son of Anjelica Huston, who begs…

• Dave Bastian

★★★½ Rewatched by Dave Bastian 30 Aug, 2007

Tantalizing tension-builder about a conman torn between his estranged mother and his new girlfriend, with a shocker ending. Frears’ first American production is an effective neo-noir based on a 1950s pulp novel, and if everything doesn’t exactly translate to a modern setting, strong performances by Huston, Cusack, and Bening more than make up for any shortcomings.