• Matt Noller

★★★ Watched by Matt Noller 07 Nov, 2015

• mattmav45

★★★½ Watched by mattmav45 01 Nov, 2015 2

Simply a damn cool film.

Roy Dillon lives the life of a grifter. While I couldn't tell just what the hell that term meant prior to my viewing, apparently it's a term for living life by way of pulling cons on unsuspecting folk. Naturally, it just so happens that Roy is seeing another con artist by the name of Myra Langtry. When long-lost mother Lilly Dillon shows up, what follows is a game of cons in which nothing is what…

• SouloGuero

★★★ Added by SouloGuero

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Implied incest and a mother killing her son for money.

• Peter Parker

★★★ Watched by Peter Parker 24 Sep, 2015

There really is no secret as to why we love the appeal of a con artist. We, as a people, want to indulge in our dark sides. We want to know what it feels like to rob a bank, or to take someone’s life; however, we don’t want to deal with the consequences that would follow. So, we don’t do it. We identify with con men, because most people want to prove how smart or how important they are. Quintessentially,…

• stevenedwards

★★★½ Watched by stevenedwards 02 Oct, 2015

Fun enough, especially the performances by Benning and Huston with Cusack providing the calm and cool center

• John Uptergrove

★★★ Watched by John Uptergrove 17 Sep, 2015 1

Great performances from all the actors, but I didn't enjoy the film as much as I expected to.

• Chad Comello

★★★½ Watched by Chad Comello 10 Aug, 2015

Well... that was bleak.

• Jay

★★ Watched by Jay 24 Jul, 2015

On paper, "The Grifters" is a film I should have loved but instead was shocked at how bored and uninterested I was. It was a shame because I love literally everybody that was involved in the film, especially the film's versatile director, Stephen Frears. My favorite genre is Neo-noir/Noir, with that said, usually those types of films have a darker, mysterious, pulpy tone with a stylish approach. What we got instead was a much slower paced drama film that studied…

• Keith

★★½ Watched by Keith 13 Jun, 2015 2

Despite being pulpy and noirish, the affected acting style was an obstacle I couldn't overcome- every scene has the characters quibble and squawk using overdramatic mannerisms that are reminiscent of high school drama class.

Come to think of it, would have worked much better as a Max Fischer Players presentation.

• Anthony Albarran

★★★★ Watched by Anthony Albarran 11 Jul, 2015

Entertaining con film. John Cusack and Annette Bening are very good.

• Gabriel Hardman

★★★ Rewatched by Gabriel Hardman 26 Jun, 2015

I love all the Jim Thompson perversity loaded in this movie but as filmmaking, I'm less convinced. There are good performances but the script is sloppy, full of half-formed ideas and entertaining but ultimately pointless flashbacks. And the film itself is just poorly made. But all that said, there is still plenty to enjoy here.

• Sam M.

★★ Watched by Sam M. 22 Jun, 2015

Hey look at this deadly serious movie about absolutely nothing that never really wavers from Decent overall at any point. Doesn't that make you desperate to watch it?