• Dave Bastian

★★★½ Rewatched by Dave Bastian 30 Aug, 2007

You Don’t Argue With Bobo
    Tantalizing tension-builder about a conman torn between his estranged mother and his new girlfriend, with a shocker ending. Frears’ first American production is an effective neo-noir based on a 1950s pulp novel, and if everything doesn’t exactly translate to a modern setting, strong performances by Huston, Cusack, and Bening more than make up for any shortcomings.

• Scott Liening

★★ Watched by Scott Liening 20 Mar, 2015

A competently produced film that unfortunately features performances that occasionally slip into noir affectations and a plot that is pitched at a frustratingly consistent level of tension that is just above neutral.

• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 01 Mar, 2015

Delicious neo-noir where cons are mere backdrops to mother of all love triangles. Powered by Huston's chill & Bening's heat.

• Travis Lytle

★★★ Rewatched by Travis Lytle 23 Feb, 2015 2

Stephen Frears' "The Grifters" is a competent con-person drama that blends touches of light, dark, crime, and family politics. It is an engaging piece of work that is at its best when Frears focuses on his characters' criminal streaks but becomes slightly sodden when their interactions with one another take center stage.

At times, "The Grifters" is a jazzy crime drama where criminal machinations and the long and short grifts of its characters are capably entertaining. When the film's narrative…

• Cappie Chamberlain

★★★½ Watched by Cappie Chamberlain 28 Feb, 2015

Frears, Cusack, Huston, Benning. Names I associate with lighter entertainment. All of which are involved in a film about grifting. You'd expect The Grifters to follow suit and be a light, fun romp about stealing and deception.

Nope. Big fucking nope. The Grifters is a dark and grim neo-noir that is breathlessly relentless in trying to pull a bag over your head and sock you in the face. It has an non-traditional narrative structure, it refuses to hold your hand…

• disinvite

★★★ Watched by disinvite 02 Feb, 2015

Not much to say about this one, but it’s a neat little movie. The performances felt a little off to me: Huston is solid, Bening is okay if a little one-note, and Cusack is a total flatline as he always is. Perhaps that’s because the movie was trying to capture that film noir feel, but it didn’t quite make it for me. I will say that the zaniness did remind me of early Coen brothers, but watered down to be sure. The Grifters was enjoyable, but outside of some brief scenes of suspense, it didn’t really pull me in.

• Stelios

★★★½ Watched by Stelios 14 Feb, 2015

Μαθήματα film-noir από τον Stephen Frears και υποκριτικής από την θαυμάσια Anjelica Huston!

• Billy Cahill

★★★★½ Watched by Billy Cahill 13 Feb, 2015

Cryptic delight, amongst con-films it stands above

• mrza

★★★½ Watched by mrza 25 Jan, 2015

Oh yes.

• hydra815

★★★½ Added by hydra815

Films about con artists may be a genre all of their own. They fuse elements of noir and mystery together whilst almost always maintaining a romantic bloodline and have a habit of keeping their audience on their toes as any film about the long-con will inevitably be in the market to make a fool of their audience. This approach has both succeeded (House of Games, The Prestige, F for Fake) and failed (American Hustle, Heartbreakers) but ultimately audiences are drawn…

• No-Personality

★★★½ Watched by No-Personality 18 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

#36 in my 99 90's Movies month.

Well... I was expecting something but I sure wasn't expecting this. I thought for sure this would be about how successfully each of the Grifters would play each other. Maybe one of them had a grand loot and thems would be the stakes and the others would try to swindle it. But, these are some pretty desperate people. And it seems the only real scheme to follow are the deaths. I mean, I…

• jonbonraki