• Scott D'Agostino

★★★ Watched by Scott D'Agostino 19 May, 2015

An interesting neo-noir with a star-making performance from Annette Bening.

• PerseuEvans

★★★★ Rewatched by PerseuEvans 16 May, 2015

Showing the danger and the excitement in the world of "grifting", but also the misery and complicated backstory of the people behind it, Frears develops a powerful drama with tragic consequences. Anjelica Houston delivers the best performance in her career.

• RoundMyWay

★★★ Watched by RoundMyWay 25 Apr, 2015

"The Grifters," has some great parts and some not so great parts: for one the pacing was slow, 30 minutes of character exposition could have easily been cut from the film and I would have understood what was going on. Also, despite what the film shows us about these characters in the beginning, those characteristics do not figure into where the movie goes at all. They are all much darker than what we think but I was left feeling like…

• Teenagecaveman

★★★ Watched by Teenagecaveman 25 Apr, 2015

I think the dialogue on this film was a bit too novelesque and at time the line readings were stilted and unnatural. If could have been an issue is the script or it could have been the direction to the actors and it's had to tell where the fault lay.

It's certainly worth watching though.

• TJ Duane

★★★★ Watched by TJ Duane 06 Apr, 2015

#90sMarathon

Stephen Frears had such a great start to his career. The Hit, My Beautiful Launderette, Dangerous Liaisons, and this, The Grifters.

The Grifters is a 1990 crime movie, like The Godfather: Part III and Goodfellas. But unlike those, this is more about conmen and less about wise guys and mafioso types. The film is a neonoir to the bone, about the terrible impulses within all of us. John Cusack plays a young conman, son of Anjelica Huston, who begs…

• Dave Bastian

★★★½ Rewatched by Dave Bastian 30 Aug, 2007

Tantalizing tension-builder about a conman torn between his estranged mother and his new girlfriend, with a shocker ending. Frears’ first American production is an effective neo-noir based on a 1950s pulp novel, and if everything doesn’t exactly translate to a modern setting, strong performances by Huston, Cusack, and Bening more than make up for any shortcomings.

• Scott Liening

★★ Watched by Scott Liening 20 Mar, 2015

A competently produced film that unfortunately features performances that occasionally slip into noir affectations and a plot that is pitched at a frustratingly consistent level of tension that is just above neutral.

• Michael Nazarewycz

★★★★½ Rewatched by Michael Nazarewycz 01 Mar, 2015

Delicious neo-noir where cons are mere backdrops to mother of all love triangles. Powered by Huston's chill & Bening's heat.

• Travis Lytle

★★★ Rewatched by Travis Lytle 23 Feb, 2015 2

Stephen Frears' "The Grifters" is a competent con-person drama that blends touches of light, dark, crime, and family politics. It is an engaging piece of work that is at its best when Frears focuses on his characters' criminal streaks but becomes slightly sodden when their interactions with one another take center stage.

At times, "The Grifters" is a jazzy crime drama where criminal machinations and the long and short grifts of its characters are capably entertaining. When the film's narrative…

• Cappie Chamberlain

★★★½ Watched by Cappie Chamberlain 28 Feb, 2015

Frears, Cusack, Huston, Benning. Names I associate with lighter entertainment. All of which are involved in a film about grifting. You'd expect The Grifters to follow suit and be a light, fun romp about stealing and deception.

Nope. Big fucking nope. The Grifters is a dark and grim neo-noir that is breathlessly relentless in trying to pull a bag over your head and sock you in the face. It has an non-traditional narrative structure, it refuses to hold your hand…

• disinvite

★★★ Watched by disinvite 02 Feb, 2015

Not much to say about this one, but it’s a neat little movie. The performances felt a little off to me: Huston is solid, Bening is okay if a little one-note, and Cusack is a total flatline as he always is. Perhaps that’s because the movie was trying to capture that film noir feel, but it didn’t quite make it for me. I will say that the zaniness did remind me of early Coen brothers, but watered down to be sure. The Grifters was enjoyable, but outside of some brief scenes of suspense, it didn’t really pull me in.

• Stelios

★★★½ Watched by Stelios 14 Feb, 2015

Μαθήματα film-noir από τον Stephen Frears και υποκριτικής από την θαυμάσια Anjelica Huston!