• stevenedwards

★★★½ Watched by stevenedwards 02 Oct, 2015

Fun enough, especially the performances by Benning and Huston with Cusack providing the calm and cool center

• John Uptergrove

★★★ Watched by John Uptergrove 17 Sep, 2015 1

Great performances from all the actors, but I didn't enjoy the film as much as I expected to.

• Chad Comello

★★★½ Watched by Chad Comello 10 Aug, 2015

Well... that was bleak.

• Jay

★★ Watched by Jay 24 Jul, 2015

On paper, "The Grifters" is a film I should have loved but instead was shocked at how bored and uninterested I was. It was a shame because I love literally everybody that was involved in the film, especially the film's versatile director, Stephen Frears. My favorite genre is Neo-noir/Noir, with that said, usually those types of films have a darker, mysterious, pulpy tone with a stylish approach. What we got instead was a much slower paced drama film that studied…

• Keith

★★½ Watched by Keith 13 Jun, 2015 2

Despite being pulpy and noirish, the affected acting style was an obstacle I couldn't overcome- every scene has the characters quibble and squawk using overdramatic mannerisms that are reminiscent of high school drama class.

Come to think of it, would have worked much better as a Max Fischer Players presentation.

• Anthony Albarran

★★★★ Watched by Anthony Albarran 11 Jul, 2015

Entertaining con film. John Cusack and Annette Bening are very good.

• Gabriel Hardman

★★★ Rewatched by Gabriel Hardman 26 Jun, 2015

I love all the Jim Thompson perversity loaded in this movie but as filmmaking, I'm less convinced. There are good performances but the script is sloppy, full of half-formed ideas and entertaining but ultimately pointless flashbacks. And the film itself is just poorly made. But all that said, there is still plenty to enjoy here.

• Sam M.

★★ Watched by Sam M. 22 Jun, 2015

Hey look at this deadly serious movie about absolutely nothing that never really wavers from Decent overall at any point. Doesn't that make you desperate to watch it?

• moviegrande

★½ Watched by moviegrande 17 Jun, 2015

I guess I was expecting more of a stylish slickly made film with very violent scenes but this isn't that. It's a lot slower than that and kind of got boring to me by the middle. Not without its shining moments, "the grifters", doesn't warrant a watch other than to watch some fine performances by the main cast.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 05 Jun, 2015 1

"Well, who's a boy gonna talk to if not his mother?"

Who would have thought Lester Burnham's wife could play a conniving Bimbo to perfection?

John Cusack excels in a restrained performance.

Anjelica Huston as expected nails down the part of the experienced grifter who has seen it all.

A juicy neo noir with killer lines with twists and turns around the corner!

• Samuel B. Prime

★★★★ Watched by Samuel B. Prime 03 Jun, 2015

"Screw this noise."

aka Oedipus Roy

Long legs for the long, hard con. Right, Roy? Only the short-sighted prefer the short game, because it's the only sort of game they'll ever know. Right, Roy...

• EnterTheTico

★★★★½ Added by EnterTheTico

A neo nor knockout of a film that I adore, John cusack delivers a decent performance, he of course, is one of my favorite actors, but I felt this film was more for Hollywood's powerhouse Angelica Huston and Annette Bening. Something about Bening that I find attractive, somewhat was her physical beauty, but I think is the way she brought the character, that little wild, sex con artist kitten performance, overall great, great film, with some elite acting.