• GrimRabbit

★★★ Added by GrimRabbit

Rather than watch the Super Bowl, which by all accounts was a tedious affair, I had a look at a film I have wanted to see for a while. Based on Jim Thompson's book of the same name, The Grifters tells the tale of three interconnected con artists. Starring John Cusack, Annette Bening and Anjelica Huston, this tale is at times funny and light hearted and at others, very down beat. I think this summarizes my problems with the movie,…

• BiblicalZombie

★★★½ Watched by BiblicalZombie 26 Jan, 2016

It's a drama with the coating of a slick comedy, like if Grosse Point Blank wasn't total rubbish and was a drama instead.

John Cusack's acting isn't up to scratch, but never mind Angelica Huston makes it up. How different would this film have been if Scorsese had directed it? Better? Probably After Hours with con artists. That would be a great thing. This is Frears' immitation of that.

Stephen Frears did a good job directing, but it's not as…

• Jack Paterson

★★★★ Added by Jack Paterson

A quick, fun neo-noir. With a few surprises, some classic dialogue and terriffic characters, it's a lot of fun. The strength is with the two leading ladies who were both nominated for Best Actress and Supporting Actress, although Anette Benning is the one with the stellar performance of the two. Anjelica Huston's performance feels like a bit of a Maerose Prizzi rehash, but still has flair. Both are fantastic Femme Fatales while Cusack's role could've been played by anyone else, though it's not for lack of trying.

• Billy

★★★★ Watched by Billy 15 Jan, 2016

That ending! That was... different.

What's interesting about this movie is that it's not about any kind of a con, just about the con artists themselves. It's a different and unique way to look at it.

It doesn't hurt that The Grifters has such a likable cast. There are no clear 'hero' or 'villain'- they all have their own side of the story. It's up to the viewers to decide who's in right or in the wrong. Some obvious, some not so much.

If only Cusack was still an "A Lister" :(

• Liam Hathaway

★★★★½ Added by Liam Hathaway

A finely acted, hugely entertaining - and overlooked - '90s thriller with some fascinatingly labyrinthine mind games at play between the three leads.

• Waldo

★★★★★ Watched by Waldo 12 Jan, 2016 3

One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. Three criminals, con men, hustlers, grifters, Lilly, Myra and Roy. Lilly is Roy's mother and Myra is the hot girlfriend. Roy is a short con man that spends all day cheating people and padding his stacks of money. Myra wants the long con with Roy. And .Lilly plays bets for the mob and is robbing them blind too. A little accident, Roy getting hit in the stomach by a pissed off…

• Bill Stiteler

★★★★ Watched by Bill Stiteler 06 Jan, 2016

It's not a *take* on noir, with twist upon twist upon twist, it *is* a noir, with a trio of very damaged characters who are likable only because we see how everything they do comes out of pain.

• Emily

Added by Emily

If I don't like a movie 15/20 minutes into it then I stop it because if I watch the whole thing I always end up regretting it. I stopped this and I have no regrets.

• Eric

★★★ Watched by Eric 02 Jan, 2016

I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this one.

On one hand, I like Jim Thompson, and this semi-retro take on 70's noir is a lot of fun, but on the other it's tonally very strange. Granted, a good deal of that comes from a pretty inconsistent score (Annete Benning's theme inparticular is very odd), but more than that too, there's something wonky in just exaclty what Stephen Frears is after in how he plays his characters off one…

• Daniel Barnes

★★★★★ Watched by Daniel Barnes 01 Jan, 2016

"You don't know what I'd do. You have no idea. To live."

• Danh Nguyen

★★★½ Watched by Danh Nguyen 14 Dec, 2015

um. one never knows. slick is what scorsese likes and produces.

• Matt Noller