• Mully Mullennix

★★ Added by Mully Mullennix

I was excited to see this and I had heard so many good thing but I was just bored. Black comedies are tough because if you don't find them funny they can be boring if the story is not good. I think of HAPPINESS. The cover says a hilarious black comedy and I didn't laugh once, but the story still had me locked in by its awkwardness and mortified by its progress. This was not this case with Grifters. I couldn't wait for this to end.

• Tom Morton

★★★ Watched by Tom Morton 08 Mar, 2014

Noirch, film 13.

One of the many things I love about classic-era noir films is the brevity - so many of them fit their twists and turns into taut 90-minute packages, a sort of "all killer, no filler" approach. Weirdly, of all the noir tropes that neo-noir films inherit, this is the one that always seems to go missing. The Grifters is an interesting story, told with style, but it seems to take forever to get going.

The cast is…

• JoseIgnacioWert

★★★★ Added by JoseIgnacioWert

El británico Stephen Frears se reveló como la elección idónea para dirigir esta adaptación de una novela de Jim Thompson, una auténtica actualización de los cánones del cine negro americano clásico.

El director de Las amistades peligrosas se sintió a gusto manejando esta historia tan sórdida como atractiva, con unos personajes al límite que consiguen el milagro de no resultar ridículos. Sobre un guión de Donald E. Westlake (también autor de novela negra), Frears filma una película contundente que se…

• Stephen Earnest

★★★★½ Rewatched by Stephen Earnest 11 Feb, 2014

I love this.

I relish films like this. I really, truly adore them. If Stephen Frears only, only could have stuck to churning out films like The Grifters, dear God would I be in love with the man.

The source material comes from classic crime novelist Jim Thompson, whose work (After Dark, My Sweet, The Killer Inside Me) has been transferred to the screen several times, so it comes as no surprise that The Grifters is just as successful as…

• Wonderful Cinema

★★★★½ Watched by Wonderful Cinema 04 Aug, 2013

★★★★½ = Superb

An unacknowleged classic, The Grifters is a neo-noir of the highest order. For my tastes, it is the best noir I have seen, with Double Indemnity (1944) a close second.

The film is based on the novel, The Grifters, by legendary pulp crime fiction novelist Jim Thompson.

John Cusack, Anjelica Huston and Annette Bening take you on a journey you will never forget. The casting here is absolutely superb. Highly-respected supporting actors such as Pat Hingle, J.T.…

• Chris Jensen

★★★½ Watched by Chris Jensen 07 Feb, 2014

Sold film, well written, produced, acted; and yet, I didn't warm to it. I didn't like any of the characters: I didn't really want any of them to succeed.

• Andrew Bemis

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Bemis 03 Feb, 2014 2

Watching this a few weeks after House of Games made for an interesting contrast. Where Mamet's film is entirely structured around the long con of its final twist and tailors its characters' motivation towards that end, The Grifters is much more interested in the psychology of its characters than conning its audience. The protagonist, Roy (John Cusack) prefers to stick to relatively low-risk short cons, but his girlfriend Myra (Annette Bening) and mother, Lily (Anjelica Huston) - who Roy hasn't…

• Andy Barksdale

★★★★ Watched by Andy Barksdale 05 Feb, 2014

Kind of like American Hustle, but without the pretension. Also - with an actually interesting style.

• JC Shaffer

★★★★ Watched by JC Shaffer 10 Jan, 2014

Begins as a romp and spirals downward into the darkness and cynicism to be expected from a Jim Thompson story. Never dull, often funny, and sometimes disturbing. Pretty good.

• anne_f_

Watched by anne_f_ 26 Dec, 2013

I started watching this on Christmas Eve and gave up this morning with 30 minutes to go. So very very boring, and so very poorly acted, although to be fair to the actors I don't think they had much to work with.

• Tyler Foster

★★★★ Watched by Tyler Foster 04 Sep, 2013

Was not expecting this to be quite so dark. Not that I have a problem with that.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

Playing the short con
    Ends up being a long con.
    John Cusack grows up.