• minnie melts

★★★ Added by minnie melts

Pretty good despite a bit of hammy acting. Some scenes are really tensional, but the end feels a lil bit too rushed and awkwardly inconclusive.

• Rizki Fachriansyah

★★★½ Added by Rizki Fachriansyah

Propesterous and insidiously comical to a fault, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle benefits from its leads and Amanda Silver's efficient screenplay. The first few scenes that introduce the central characters and premise play a lot like a montage - which in turn evoke memories of the entirety of 2011's Planet of the Apes, also written by Amanda Silver.

• Redrumpanda

★★½ Watched by Redrumpanda 30 Apr, 2014

Despite the fact that much of the film is dated, and the premise flawed, this was alright for a once off watch. The villain is largely unsympathetic so it's just a matter of waiting for the right -THWACK! Ah, there it is. Rebecca De Mornay: Super Nanny Biatch!

• Tolksdorf

★★½ Rewatched by Tolksdorf 09 Jan, 2015

Casa comigo De Mornay.

• Andrew Drewes

Watched by Andrew Drewes 02 Jan, 2015

If you can't guess what the final scene will consist of and what everybody's role in it will be, you must not be paying attention. But that's no knock on the film, in fact, it's kind of what makes Curtis Hanson's 1992 thriller such a treat. It has such a perverse sense of giddy playfulness and love for genre convention that you can't help but go along.

Side Note: This film was the beginning of a 5 film, 10 year…

• Stacey Bates

Watched by Stacey Bates 30 Dec, 2014

Ok first of all that is not how asthma works. This lady's inhaling just fine and wheezing on the exhale and like flatlining 20 seconds into an attack. I mean get it together, this was made in 1992 y'all should know how to be accurate by this time on the film timeline.
    Anywho, this was so boring. An hour and fifty minutes of a very slow-moving, unemotional plot and bad acting. The only positive thing I have to mention is Solomon, the mentally-impaired man that the family lets work around the house. He's an alright guy, that Solomon. I liked him. Everyone else was a bummer.

• Loren

★★★ Added by Loren

the film that I'm pretty sure inspired the Amazing Amy Dunne....

• Jonathan Davies

Watched by Jonathan Davies 01 Feb, 2010

Watched in St. Mary's EJCR with Mel, Laurie etc date estimated.

• Curtis

★★★ Watched by Curtis 16 Nov, 2014

This domestic thriller was better than I expected it to be. It's not perfect, but it's definitely effective and hinges almost entirely on Rebecca De Mornay's ability to shift from (relatively) normal nanny to calculating psychopath. And for the most part, I think she delivered.

Bonus points to John de Lancie for managing to be even creepier than her with just a single scene.

• Joe Cool

★★★½ Watched by Joe Cool 15 Nov, 2014

One of the patron saints of the "hysterical crazy woman" genre that seemed to have its renaissance from the mid '80s through the mid '90s. I can't get enough of these trashy delicacies. I just wish there were more.

• Hershal Whiteman

★★½ Rewatched by Hershal Whiteman 15 Nov, 2014

90s thrillers were a hit-and-miss affair. For every piece of glorious trash like Basic Instinct, you could find five pieces of garbage like Jade. Then there were movies like this. Films that fell somewhere in between. Not trashy enough to be awesome but not bad enough to be forgettable. It's filled with stupid people doing stupid things and features Ernie Hudson in a regrettable performance as a well-meaning handy man.

• TheMovieVampire

★★½ Watched by TheMovieVampire 07 Oct, 2014

Director Curtis Hanson has had a pretty wacky career all told. He started out making B-grade comedies like Losin’ It, then became the maker of slick if schlocky and dated Hollywood thrillers, then out of nowhere he became a legitimate prestige filmmaker in the late 90s and early 2000s when he made L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys, and 8 Mile but then kind of fell apart again and has only made mediocrities in the ensuing years. The film I’m looking at…