• Michael Bihari

★★★★ Watched by Michael Bihari 07 Dec, 2014

One of Keaton's best shorts. Clever and very funny with a set that becomes one of the main characters.

• Joe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 06 Dec, 2014

This is one of the best Buster Keaton shorts, with a ton of amazing athleticism (watch how many times Buster takes the hard way around that house in one continuous take towards the end) and surreal gags. If anything it's overstuffed, with some bits coming and going before they have time to sink in, which might be a feature or a detriment depending on your POV. My favorite part also happens to be a perfect (albeit modest) example of what…

• Josh Brooks

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Brooks 14 Nov, 2014

The fact that this isn't mentioned more when the topic of Buster comes up is criminal, it's borderline perfect and every gag pretty much works effortlessly. Buster is god.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 26 Oct, 2014

Keaton shelved this movie for quite a while because he wasn't satisfied with it as his first solo project. It's a hoot, though. Keaton's prop comedy is front and center here, climaxing with an extended chase through a house loaded with trap doors and secret passages.

• TheMovieVampire

★★★★ Watched by TheMovieVampire 21 Jun, 2014

The first solo film that Buster Keaton directed and starred in was The High Sign, which was about a man who rigs a shooting gallery’s bell so that he appears to be an expert shot. He’s so convincing that a man hires him as a bodyguard and soon thereafter a gang of crooks called The Blinking Buzzard also insist that he work for them as a hit man to kill that man he’s supposed to be protecting. Keaton himself was…

• Tom Morton

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 02 May, 2014

Probably the best Buster Keaton short I've seen so far, with the writing matching up to the stunts - I got nearly as many laughs from the intertitles as from the action for once! There's some great wordplay and one of the most impressive uses of alliteration I've ever seen.

The physical humour is top level too though, with Buster hired to protect and kill the same man, due to his (faked) prowess on the shooting range. Luckily for all…

• David Pearce

★★★ Watched by David Pearce 06 Apr, 2014

"The brutal bungalow of the Blinking Buzzards, a bold bad bunch of blood-thirsty bandits who would break into a bank, blow a battleship to bits or beat up a blue eyed baby blonde."

This is undoubtedly one of Keaton's best shorts, but I can't say I'm in love with it. The story is well told and the final chase sequence was impressive, but I can't say I found it as funny as his other films. Keaton usually brings this kind…

• Dave Jackson

★★★½ Watched by Dave Jackson 23 Feb, 2014

Buster Keaton thought this unworthy to be his first independent two-reeler. I don't agree.

• Tyler

★★★½ Watched by Tyler 01 Mar, 2014

Holy guacamole at those final few minutes! Was not prepared for that at all. The deception with the shooting range, the Buzzards high sign, and Buster throwing the hat on the rack...all so good. Really pleasantly surprised by this.

• Owen Erasmus

★★★★ Watched by Owen Erasmus 26 Feb, 2014

Definitely one of the better shorts, its a lot more plot heavy than most but also includes a huge amount of mechanical invention to build to a classic slapstick conclusion.

Buster tricks his way into a job at a shooting range which leads to jobs as both the bodyguard and the allocated killer of the town miser. Reading that my earlier claim that this one is more plot lead seems funny but it does actually contain some characterisation and a…

• Adam Redman

★★★★★ Watched by Adam Redman 10 Feb, 2014

So energetic Buster nearly breaks the frame, and the casual toss of the hat over the shoulder onto the stand in the middle of a take is one of my favourite sights in the movies. He really was that good.

• Sam M

★★★★ Watched by Sam M 17 Jan, 2014

While it is heavier on plot than some of his other films, Buster squeezes in some laughs here. I was admittedly disappointed with the lack of visual comedy, but the last few minutes more than made up for the scarcity of comedy throughout.