• John

★★★★ Watched by John 06 Sep, 2014

You can find a more colorful version of this with pictures at my blog at: tinyurl.com/o3nppec

Nearly a century later and the physicality to this man’s humor still holds up. Looking for a job, our man (Buster Keaton) gets hired to be bodyguard, but also gets pressured to kill the same man by the local gang.

I know all of my reviews haven’t migrated over here, but if you’ve been following me for any length of time on previous media,…

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Matthews 24 May, 2015

There's fun at a shooting gallery and then a third act that takes place in a house full of trapdoors and secret escape routes. Another great escapade for Keaton.

• leroymarko

★★★★ Watched by leroymarko 23 Feb, 2015

Hilarious! It might be just 20 minutes long, but this film contains a lot of laughs and a ton of action. Buster Keaton is great.

• directorscut

★★★½ Watched by directorscut 14 Feb, 2015

Buster Keaton finally breaks free of the stifling shackles of Fatty Arbuckle and makes... an okay movie. Nothing great but some laugh out loud gags about Keaton being the worst shot ever (he shoots a bird out of the sky while aiming for a bottle on a wall). The final five minutes set in a house full of secret doors and exits is terrific.

• Luke Ryan

★★★½ Watched by Luke Ryan 26 Jan, 2015

Though released after other shorts directed by and starring the one and only Buster Keaton, The High Sign was in fact the first two reel picture he made. Unsatisfied with it, he shelved it until the following year when he was injured on the set of his latest film, and needed to put something out.

It shows, as The High Sign is far from his best work, yet Keaton not at his best, will likely beat many at the top…

• John Barlow

★★★★ Rewatched by John Barlow 15 Jan, 2015

By the way, is it me, or is the drunk guy with the top hat and moustache that almost shoots Keaton supposed to be a play on Chaplin?

• Michael Bihari

★★★★ Watched by Michael Bihari 07 Dec, 2014

One of Keaton's best shorts. Clever and very funny with a set that becomes one of the main characters.

• Joe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 06 Dec, 2014

This is one of the best Buster Keaton shorts, with a ton of amazing athleticism (watch how many times Buster takes the hard way around that house in one continuous take towards the end) and surreal gags. If anything it's overstuffed, with some bits coming and going before they have time to sink in, which might be a feature or a detriment depending on your POV. My favorite part also happens to be a perfect (albeit modest) example of what…

• Josh Brooks

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Brooks 14 Nov, 2014

The fact that this isn't mentioned more when the topic of Buster comes up is criminal, it's borderline perfect and every gag pretty much works effortlessly. Buster is god.

• Michael

★★★½ Watched by Michael 26 Oct, 2014

Keaton shelved this movie for quite a while because he wasn't satisfied with it as his first solo project. It's a hoot, though. Keaton's prop comedy is front and center here, climaxing with an extended chase through a house loaded with trap doors and secret passages.

• TheMovieVampire

★★★★ Watched by TheMovieVampire 21 Jun, 2014

The first solo film that Buster Keaton directed and starred in was The High Sign, which was about a man who rigs a shooting gallery’s bell so that he appears to be an expert shot. He’s so convincing that a man hires him as a bodyguard and soon thereafter a gang of crooks called The Blinking Buzzard also insist that he work for them as a hit man to kill that man he’s supposed to be protecting. Keaton himself was…

• Tom Morton

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Morton 02 May, 2014

Probably the best Buster Keaton short I've seen so far, with the writing matching up to the stunts - I got nearly as many laughs from the intertitles as from the action for once! There's some great wordplay and one of the most impressive uses of alliteration I've ever seen.

The physical humour is top level too though, with Buster hired to protect and kill the same man, due to his (faked) prowess on the shooting range. Luckily for all…