• meltwaterfalls

★★★★ Rewatched by meltwaterfalls 29 Sep, 2016

The chase scene through the house is exceptional.

• John DeCarli

★★★ Watched by John DeCarli 15 Sep, 2016

There are a few funny gags that emphasize Keaton's interest in comedy based on raw physics - such as the pulley system to shoot bullseyes - build up and execution of the film doesn't reach the promise of the premise. There' s a cohesion to the story missing that would have justified the time spent on its narrative developments.

• Joseph Perez

★★★★½ Watched by Joseph Perez 02 Sep, 2016

This is it. This is the first film of Buster Keaton that I've seen (I wanted to start off with shorts); Wow! What a way to kick things off!

All who spoke of Buster's irreproachable creativity, were veracious. My jaw literally hung in astonishment at the film's quick and always exciting culmination (after having just watched The Scarecrow, I reckon this is something I'm going to have to get used to.). Three of the short's shining attributes are showcased at…

• Steve Hunt

★★★★½ Watched by Steve Hunt 02 Sep, 2016

This is easily a contender for the all-time greatest climactic setpiece. Not that this wasn't already fun, but the last 3 minutes or so is some of the most creative filmmaking ever.

• Rob Simpson

★★★★★ Watched by Rob Simpson 22 Jul, 2016

So much fun, if ever I do a list of favourite short films this will be the first on it. Its already funny with its procession of perfect sight gags then it gets to the finale in which the house becomes a character. The set design has countless trap doors, pulleys and trick doors, which Keaton shows how insanely talented a performer he was.

From him rocking up to town like the most unwanted western archetype to the madcap ending,…

• Tim Leggoe

★★★★ Watched by Tim Leggoe 07 Aug, 2016

Buster Keaton's first starring role and it's pretty great. The final chase scene is better than anything he had done in his previous thirteen films with Fatty Arbuckle.

• elliem_m

★★★★ Watched by elliem_m 02 Aug, 2016

Do I actually watch anything other than Buster Keaton movies? Apparently not.

There must be some kind of award for gag choreography (if there isn't there really ought to be) and it should go to Keaton for the last few moments of this film. This movie combines Keaton's acrobatic skill as a stuntman and fantastic timing, as well as a marvelous set that allows all of this skill to shine.

To Buster Keaton, the world is a slapstick playground.

• Bryan Strang

★★★★ Watched by Bryan Strang 23 Jul, 2016

Basically The Raid.

Hulu puts two ad breaks into this. But they can't ruin it.

• ActuallyDarcy

★★★★½ Watched by ActuallyDarcy 14 Jul, 2016

I'll say the same thing I say about most of Buster Keaton's films, and that's that you should watch this for the final act alone

• Drew Dahle

★★★½ Watched by Drew Dahle 07 Jul, 2016

An early influence on Kevin McCallister's Battle Plan.

• kike herrmann

★★½ Watched by kike herrmann 17 May, 2016

El guardaespaldas

• Craig Hamilton

★★★½ Watched by Craig Hamilton 07 May, 2016

An inauspicious start to Buster Keaton's solo career, the first half is very slight and doesn't feature any particularly memorable jokes. However, the film is salvaged by an absolutely wonderful finale full to the brim with imaginative sight gags and Keaton's trademark athleticism.