• Nathan Sizemore

★★★★★ Rewatched by Nathan Sizemore 16 Nov, 2015

96/100 (4)

There's a sequence in a cross-section house at the end of this film that is pure cinematic gold. It's just one of the best sequences ever committed to celluloid. The rest of the film is great, too, but that portion, with Buster cycling through trap doors and trick wall panels, is otherworldly.

• matthew

★★★★ Watched by matthew 03 Oct, 2015

The ending sequence is stunning in its athleticism.

• Louis Beer

★★★★½ Watched by Louis Beer 26 Sep, 2015

I suppose the best thing about physical and visual comedy is that it can't really get old - as this hilarious short proves. As other reviewers have said, it's only downside is that it's overstuffed with gags so some don't hit as much as they could.

• Ryster

★★★★½ Watched by Ryster 26 Sep, 2015

Here's the thing with The "High Sign", it's close to being my favourite Buster Keaton short. Everything that he's done that is amazing in his other shorts come together to give us this. The thing I don't get about this though is the reason Keaton shelved it for so long. It's honestly terrific and is hilarious while giving us an interesting story and some amazing, jaw-dropping stunts. The end is particularly amazing with Keaton getting chased by the bad guys…

• Ali

★★★★★ Watched by Ali 24 Sep, 2015

• John

★★★★ Watched by John 06 Sep, 2014

You can find a more colorful version of this with pictures at my blog at: tinyurl.com/o3nppec

Nearly a century later and the physicality to this man’s humor still holds up. Looking for a job, our man (Buster Keaton) gets hired to be bodyguard, but also gets pressured to kill the same man by the local gang.

I know all of my reviews haven’t migrated over here, but if you’ve been following me for any length of time on previous media,…

• Kevin Matthews

★★★★ Watched by Kevin Matthews 24 May, 2015

There's fun at a shooting gallery and then a third act that takes place in a house full of trapdoors and secret escape routes. Another great escapade for Keaton.

• leroymarko

★★★★ Watched by leroymarko 23 Feb, 2015

Hilarious! It might be just 20 minutes long, but this film contains a lot of laughs and a ton of action. Buster Keaton is great.

• directorscut

★★★½ Watched by directorscut 14 Feb, 2015

Buster Keaton finally breaks free of the stifling shackles of Fatty Arbuckle and makes... an okay movie. Nothing great but some laugh out loud gags about Keaton being the worst shot ever (he shoots a bird out of the sky while aiming for a bottle on a wall). The final five minutes set in a house full of secret doors and exits is terrific.

• Luke Ryan

★★★½ Watched by Luke Ryan 26 Jan, 2015

Though released after other shorts directed by and starring the one and only Buster Keaton, The High Sign was in fact the first two reel picture he made. Unsatisfied with it, he shelved it until the following year when he was injured on the set of his latest film, and needed to put something out.

It shows, as The High Sign is far from his best work, yet Keaton not at his best, will likely beat many at the top…

• John Barlow

★★★★ Rewatched by John Barlow 15 Jan, 2015

By the way, is it me, or is the drunk guy with the top hat and moustache that almost shoots Keaton supposed to be a play on Chaplin?

• Michael Bihari

★★★★ Watched by Michael Bihari 07 Dec, 2014

One of Keaton's best shorts. Clever and very funny with a set that becomes one of the main characters.