• Tom Watchorn

Extra Viewing:
    Sherlock Jr.
    The High Sign
    The Cook

One thing that became clear watching Keaton and Arbuckle do their 'silent comedy icon' thing in these four still charming films is that as soon as synchronised sound came in (just one year after The General, which is hard for me to fathom) comedy gravitated towards increasingly pacy one liners, and the intricacy, daring and imagination of slapstick and…

• Jordan Theiss

★★★

A playful film with great stuntwork by the master tumbler Buster Keaton. The story is thin (as with most silent films) but it delivers a fun 20 minute tale with great gags and set design.

• audreyv

★★★½

a supremely excellent comedy if you love to watch people fall down

• Max Restaino

★★★★★

A comic crime thriller thats decades ahead of it's time, with amazing sets, and a career high for my personal hero, Buster Keaton.

• Matthew Roberts

★★★★

Absolutely brilliant and one of the best of all Buster's shorts; I've laughed more in the first five minutes than in most film's entire runtimes.
    The bottle shooting scene was brilliant
    Knowing how short Buster was I wouldn't be surprised if that newspaper was just a normal one

• Steve P

Chronological Keaton

Short films watched in my lunch hour at work

Although One Week was the first of the Arbuckle-free shorts Keaton released, The High Sign was the first one to be produced. Disappointed with the result, Keaton shelved the film. It was not until a year later, when he broke his ankle and delayed the completion of The Electric House that the film was released. I felt chronologically though this was the best place to watch it. However knowing…

• meltwaterfalls

★★★★

The chase scene through the house is exceptional.

• John DeCarli

★★★

There are a few funny gags that emphasize Keaton's interest in comedy based on raw physics - such as the pulley system to shoot bullseyes - build up and execution of the film doesn't reach the promise of the premise. There' s a cohesion to the story missing that would have justified the time spent on its narrative developments.

• Joseph Perez

★★★★½

This is it. This is the first film of Buster Keaton that I've seen (I wanted to start off with shorts); Wow! What a way to kick things off!

All who spoke of Buster's irreproachable creativity, were veracious. My jaw literally hung in astonishment at the film's quick and always exciting culmination (after having just watched The Scarecrow, I reckon this is something I'm going to have to get used to.). Three of the short's shining attributes are showcased at…

• Steve Hunt

★★★★½

This is easily a contender for the all-time greatest climactic setpiece. Not that this wasn't already fun, but the last 3 minutes or so is some of the most creative filmmaking ever.

• Rob Simpson

★★★★★

So much fun, if ever I do a list of favourite short films this will be the first on it. Its already funny with its procession of perfect sight gags then it gets to the finale in which the house becomes a character. The set design has countless trap doors, pulleys and trick doors, which Keaton shows how insanely talented a performer he was.

From him rocking up to town like the most unwanted western archetype to the madcap ending,…

• Tim Leggoe

★★★★

Buster Keaton's first starring role and it's pretty great. The final chase scene is better than anything he had done in his previous thirteen films with Fatty Arbuckle.