• mist

★★★★★ Added by mist

Jodorowsky is a genius! This is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen! His role as The Alchemist was perfect! Mad respect for what the actors performed in this movie. I'm sure not a lot of actors wouldn't be comfortable doing what the actors did in this movie.

• bmprooney

★★★★½ Added by bmprooney

Most essential.

The Holy Mountain is at first a story about Jesus Christ. Then, the film becomes something else. The set pieces and imagery are astonishing. The themes are delivered well. Available on iTunes, the Holy Mountain is essential viewing.

DVD Combo Pack: Brazil/ Goodbye to Language/ Life of Brian/ My Dinner with Andre

• Simon Smith

★★★★★ Watched by Simon Smith 19 Jan, 2015

He shits in a bowl and turns it to gold!
    Beyond that though this film is utterly mind blowing. Art and symbolism combine to see wonderfully fucked up representation of escapism and commercialism verses enlightenment and the path to it. However I don't nearly pretend I "get it" - I then I also think that's the whole point too on reflection. I'm going to watch it very drunk and see if I understand it any better second time around but for now, I am in awe.
    Drinking Game: Every WTF shot
    Bottom Line: Masterpiece of cinematic art.

• Mike

★★★★½ Watched by Mike 12 Jan, 2015

Some very obvious political/cultural commentary; some very oblique references and imagery which would require a greater knowledge of religion and 1970s culture on my part. At times frustrating, but always beautiful, the Holy Mountain is exemplary of why Jodorowsky must be considered one of the more masterful directors in cinematic history. (Zizek voice) The tableaus, my God! Uproariously funny at the end.

• no no

★★★★½ Watched by no no 11 Jan, 2015

fuck. super horny.

• fury_

★★★★★ Watched by fury_ 08 Jan, 2015

It is so difficult to love The Holy Mountain, but at the same time so hard to reject it. I find myself delighted by its visual creation, yet bored by Jodorowsky's self-indulgence. The film is donnish, grating and loaded with exasperated shock tactics, but contemplated by lots of meaningful moments. Perhaps this may qualify it as a grotesque relic.

• Tom Silvestro

★½ Watched by Tom Silvestro 08 Jan, 2015

I don't get the rabid fandom that adores this movie. For me, it's a beautifully shot movie with segments of unfunny and unpleasant sketch comedy. It's championed as a great midnight movie, but at nearly 2 hours, it quickly wears out its welcome.

Cranky Film Lover Rant: Cult and/or midnight movies should be under 90 minutes. Too many movie theaters, like IFC Center don't obey this and program THE SHINING or RAGING BULL as a midnight movie. They're great movies but too long for midnight!

• eaisenbr

★★★★★ Watched by eaisenbr 07 Jan, 2015

The Holy Mountain is a film that is both ahead of its time, and still to this day, would viewed as controversial to many. It is a true masterpiece and a crucial watch for any film fan. While it is a slow burn, in the end, it leaves you contemplating the true meaning of existence.

• M. McGinnis

½ Added by M. McGinnis

Jesus fekking Christ, what a self-serious fartsack of self-indulgent surrealist wankery. You know how Seventh Seal's famous chess game with Death has become shorthand for a kind of "ha ha, European art cinema?" joke? Well, The Holy Mountain is the same joke, about itself, but without a punchline. Christ.

• Carl Sandell

★★★★½ Watched by Carl Sandell 12 Dec, 2014

Weirdly coherent both narratively and thematically considering how outrageous each individual scene is. Jodorowsky shows that you can use all sorts of crazy strangeness with purpose and still be playful. Every scene is a surreal piece of art that is shocking and often funny but also a sweeping criticism of various institutions. The surreal presentation makes even the broad stabs at low hanging fruit seem clever.

The first part about a Christ lookalike being disgusted with the corrupted world is…

• kungen

★½ Watched by kungen 29 Dec, 2014

I really don´t know what I saw just now, probably to stupid to understand. Sometimes ingorance is bliss. A lot of religous mumbo jumbo, and other things tat is closely related to that like supersticous... The only great thing is the closing sceene..

• Raoul Gonzo

★★★★★ Added by Raoul Gonzo

I was warned not to start here if I wanted to get in to Jodorowsky - so naturally I started here.

It is possibly the (intentionally) funniest movie I've ever seen that isn't a comedy, and I'm not sure it isn't supposed to be a comedy. Near the end, after something like an account of the entirety of human civilization, The Alchemist (played with the eternal good nature and goofy smile that could only be Jodorowsky) tells his charges that…