• Alex Tărău

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Tărău 27 Mar, 2015

Film #15 in Around the World in 50 Movies!
    letterboxd.com/alextarau/list/around-the-world-in-50-movies/

How can the average person describe the Holy Mountain? They can't, It's one of those films that is so bizarre that one has to witness it at least 5 times to fully appreciate it. Alejandro Jodorowsky takes every form of religion and mysticism and puts it into symbolic imagery, that turns into a two hour mind trip. The film is not thrown together, each scene is so chock full of…

• Zach Evans

★★★★★ Watched by Zach Evans 19 Mar, 2015

A dazzling vision of bizarre worlds and characters that simultaneously feels like a meditation on and takedown of religion, society, and human nature in general. I feel like I need to see it again before I can make any more of a coherent opinion about it than that.

• derick

★★★½ Added by derick

Hmm. Filled with interesting imagery, not sure if I understood it on a conscious level though I enjoyed it.

• Dominic Griffin

Watched by Dominic Griffin 24 Mar, 2015 1

I can't say it's the BEST movie ever made, but it might be the MOST movie ever made.

At times, it feels pretentious and scatter shot, but others it so artfully skewers artsy wankery. Jodorowsky fills each frame with so many startling compositions and textures. This is the kind of film I know I will spend the rest of my life revisiting.

• Hamus

Watched by Hamus 16 Mar, 2015

My first mistake was watching The Holy Mountain.
    My second mistake was watching The Holy Mountain while eating breakfast.
    My third mistake was loving The Holy Mountain.

There's are similarities between this film and Salo. Both possess a vile disregard for any kind of human decency. Both also involve the process of dehumanization and depersonalization at some point. Yet, I'm fond of both. Hmmm...

Needless to say, I'm excited for another Jodorowsky film whether that be El Topo or Santa Sangre.

• Zack Quaintance

★★★★ Watched by Zack Quaintance 15 Mar, 2015

The avant garde imagery throughout the first 3/4 of The Holy Mountain hits hard and breaks one down.

The journey at the end to the top of the Holy Mountain, as it were, builds one back up. Just slightly.

I don't know what most of that means. Just like I don't know what most of The Holy Mountain means. But I'm definitely lost in thought about all of it.

• Peter Strauss

★★½ Watched by Peter Strauss 12 Mar, 2015

While there is more imagination poured into each individual scene of this movie than most movies have in their entirety it's still nonsense. Glorious, creative, go-for-broke nonsense.

It's one of those movies where the star rating is basically pointless, your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance of New Age spiritualism bullshit and as you can tell from my condescending tone, I don't have that much patience for it. The images themselves, divorced of meaning are still pretty wild, often…

• Ava Davis

★½ Watched by Ava Davis 06 Mar, 2015 6

im so sorry........ this is art..... and i am dumb..... but i didnt enjoy watching this at all. maybe this just wasnt for me but this was so boring............ why is this above synecdoche new york in yms' favorites list........ i am so disappointed fuck my life

• Jason Hernandez

★★★★½ Added by Jason Hernandez

You don't—can't, actually—watch Alejandro Jodorowsky's post-drug culture art films in the same way that you watch most other films. The Jodorowsky experience has more in common with the 16th century art experience. You don't follow a plot; you observe themes via onion layers of iconography and symbolism. The story here is simple: A lowly, loincloth-clad thief in a state of spiritual crisis works with a master alchemist in order to achieve capital "E" Enlightenment via scaling a holy mountain where…

• Honey Moore

★★★★½ Added by Honey Moore

This film is so stunning i was blown away, my sister made me watch it because she thought it was silly. I loved it with all my heart.

• Josh Bogatin

★★★★★ Watched by Josh Bogatin 27 Feb, 2015

One of the best movies I've seen in a long long time.

• Kenneth Kriheli

Watched by Kenneth Kriheli 28 Feb, 2015

I sat through it, but inconsequential of the fact that Jodorowsky's movies are meant to be viewed like dreams, I know I nodded off at least three times.