• Christopher McQuain

★★★ Rewatched by Christopher McQuain 22 Sep, 2014

This is an idiot savant of a film.... It would've been much better silent (or dialogue-free, at least); its verbally articulated "ideas" barely work even as satire, all banal third-rate hippy-dippie quasi-observations, whether they're political or metaphysical. (Kenneth Anger is so much better at weaving the occult/"Satanic" stuff into his similar-minded but much more whole and successful works.) Still, a great many of its images, in composition/re-composition, movement, mise-en-scène, and color, have an undeniable accomplishment and power to them. Next time, I might watch it with the sound off!

• Greg Dinskisk

★★★★★ Rewatched by Greg Dinskisk 21 Sep, 2014

Showed this to my roommate. First film I've chosen since I got here. He liked it a lot. He understood what I meant by, "there's no real sense of pacing," but he said that there's nothing else quite like it.

• Khristopher Marang

★★★★½ Rewatched by Khristopher Marang 20 Sep, 2014

Jodorowsky's spiritual journey through material excess.

• Carlos Rodríguez

½ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 02 Aug, 2013

The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jodorowsky is a pompous, extremely boring, self-important, pseudo-transcendental-philosophical-existentialist (etc.), annoying, headache-inducing, and utterly hideous mess. I don’t understand how on Earth someone could like a thing like this and the sad part is that many do or at least they say they do. I don’t even want to write anymore about it, except to say that I hated it with all my guts.

• TheMovieVampire

★★ Watched by TheMovieVampire 06 Sep, 2014

Alejandro Jodorowsky seems to be everywhere this year, so I thought I should finally catch up with his “other” early 70s surrealist midnight-movie sensation. Alright, so, I’ve seen some weird movies in my day but this one really “takes the cake” so to speak. The moviehints at an over-arching narrative, but I don’t know that there’s really one there. For the most part it feels like a series of short films, most of them involving naked people, each connected by…

• ZScott

★★★★★ Watched by ZScott 09 Sep, 2014

Few films can be described at transcendent, monumental, and groundbreaking. The Holy Mountain accomplishes all 3. Jodorowsky puts the viewer in a trance by using some of the trippiest and surreal imagery imaginable. Its a hallucinatory journey loaded to the brim with symbolism. Every scene, no matter how bizarre or surreal is rich in underlying meaning and substance. Jodorowsky has truly created a timeless masterpiece with the Holy Mountain. 41 years after its release, this film still shows what cinema can be, at its most daringly unique and ambitious form.

• QED

★★★★★ Watched by QED 12 Sep, 2014

Written, directed by and also staring Alejandro Jodorowsky this film also features Horacio Salinas. A man awakes in the desert and goes on a strange journey involving religion and enlightenment.

This is a real acid trip of a film that drifts through bizarre imagery which is littered with religious and mystic symbolism. For my liking the narrative is a little too undirected but there is tons to admire as well as plenty of depth to this exploration of some of…

• Jamey Gouger

★★★★★ Rewatched by Jamey Gouger 20 Apr, 2007

The finest mix of art and esoteric material put on film. Amazing

• Cameron Harrison

★★★ Added by Cameron Harrison

Wow. Wowwy wow wow. Huh? Holy Mountain is the second film by Alejandro Jodorowsky. And though narratively it makes less sense than El Topo, it felt more cohesive to me, because I was more able to see what he was trying to say with the film. Somewhat.

The film begins quite incomprehensibly. A dead(?) man is brought back to life by a crippled dwarf and...you know what, it doesn’t matter. I could try to explain the plot, but it wouldn’t…

• Martin Jensen

★★★★★ Added by Martin Jensen

Weird shit.

• NinaMetro

★½ Added by NinaMetro 2

Just too fucking weird for my taste with several disturbing images. This would be great screening in the background of a artsy fartsy party.

• Kurdt

★★★★★ Watched by Kurdt 30 Aug, 2014

Oh my, what a film. Astounding. There's more unique imagery here than in thousands of other films put together. Every shot is exquisitely crafted and it's impossible to look away from the sheer beauty of this masterpiece. The plot is so complex and takes you on this surreal, fantastic journey that is one of the best experiences I've ever had. I was in a limbo throughout the whole runtime, completely transfixed on the amazing spectacle I was witnessing. Thank you Jodorowsky.