• Airunh23

★★★★★ Rewatched by Airunh23 27 Mar, 2015

Rating: A

One of the best horror movies ever made!!!!

• Zachary Lashley

★★★½ Added by Zachary Lashley

The pacing of the first two acts is absolutely exquisite. The third act isn't nearly as impressive. It doesn't quite fall apart, but it certainly left me unsatisfied. The explosive "final battle" doesn't really jive with the subtlety of everything that preceded it. The film had been building up to something, but I didn't really want it to build to something that feels so blunt, invasive and slightly uncomfortable.

I do like the very final scene. It's foreboding and works well. I just think the bridge from the beginning of the third act to that final scene should have been more esoteric.

• David Walters

★★★★½ Rewatched by David Walters 26 Mar, 2015

A stylish exercise in tension.

• Gregory David Escobar

★★★½ Watched by Gregory David Escobar 27 Mar, 2015 2

Ti West da aquí una gran clase cinematográfica de suspenso. Usando los códigos visuales old school de los 70-80 (16 mm, granulado, zoom en vez de dolly, una cámara clavada en el suelo pero siempre dinámica), un cast pequeño y una mínima banda sonora, ha creado una película con una gran atmósfera.

Sin embargo, en el último acto West no cobra mayores dividendos. Pensé usaría la oportunidad para innovar un poco (quizás utilizar el mismo medium old-school para hacer mas…

• Matthew H

★★★★½ Watched by Matthew H 24 Mar, 2015

What a great throwback movie. The tone is perfect for the late 70's or early 80's. I had to double check that this movie was made in 2009.

Much like Paranormal Activity nothing much happens for 90% of this movie and I never found myself bored. The climax is very unbelievable but that doesn't take away from the movie.

This movie shows what a director can do with a simple concept that is executed nearly perfect.

• Joseph Brown

★★★ Watched by Joseph Brown 24 Mar, 2015

Greta Gerwig should do more horror.

• Ed Glendenning

★★★★ Watched by Ed Glendenning 22 Mar, 2015

The creeping pace. The creeping camera zooms. The creeping score. Man, that was fucking unnerving.

• Scott Smith

★★★★ Watched by Scott Smith 21 Mar, 2015 1

I think I'm in love with Jocelin Donahue.

• R Stewart

Added by R Stewart

I liked the music and the slow build and anticipation for the story to take off but it had many typical horror movie tropes and fallacious continuity and story errors and just stupid stuff. Stylized and shot well, just not anything of note.

• Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski

★★★★ Watched by Steve "The Schmuck" Pulaski 12 Mar, 2015 2

Ti West has proven time and time again he's capable of not simply making a film that's a brilliant homage to classic, 1970's horror films, but he's capable of making such a film stand on its own and be a truly remarkable piece of work even if examined outside of the aforementioned context. West's The House of the Devil adheres to the principles that would continue to be upheld through his future with films, which would be emphasizing mounting dread…

• wheathusker

★★★★ Watched by wheathusker 16 Mar, 2015 1

Masterful example of building tension and slow burn horror. Quite slow in the beginning, but never boring thanks to good performances and a plethora of awesome early 80s period detail. The massive walkman seemed a little over the top (although probably accurate for 1982), but overall it just felt really well done and evocative of the time. This slow pace led into a sudden shock that was truly frightening and one of the best I've seen. The methodical pace stayed…

• fluxtrip

★★★★★ Added by fluxtrip

Best horror film of its decade.