• Sean Dzenawagis

★★★★½ Watched by Sean Dzenawagis 27 Apr, 2015

I found myself constantly checking this films release date while watching. It perfectly encapsulates everything horror movies were in the 80's. Surprise of the year for me.

• Justin Robert Vinall

★★ Watched by Justin Robert Vinall 26 Apr, 2015

Paying homage to the horror genre of filmmaking from the late 70's and 80's stylistically it holds up to that level but falls completely flat on its face when suspense and story are conceived.

Jocelin Donahue plays a sweet and fun college student who gets herself involved with babysitting an ill mother supposedly. She does a pretty good job along with her co-stars but all character and personality is dropped once a particular event is carried out. Much of the…

• tskimmett

★★★ Watched by tskimmett 26 Apr, 2015

This was a bit of a letdown. I was looking forward to the 80s style and atmosphere-heavy aspect to the horror. Unfortunately the transition from a state of awaiting danger, and actual danger is just not effective and too jarring. I've also started wondering if the whole satanic cult thing does not resonate with my fears as I generally just find it hokey (might be why I didn't enjoy Rosemary's Baby as much as I'd like).

• Ebanezer Nevermind

★★★★ Rewatched by Ebanezer Nevermind 25 Apr, 2015

Ti West is one of my favorite directors working today. I like this film in particular.

• TheTallMan

★★★★½ Added by TheTallMan

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

(SPOILERS)
    For this movie, it's really better if you know absolutely nothing about it going in and there are actually really major spoilers in here that you shouldn't read if you haven't seen it. I knew literally nothing about House of the Devil before I saw it and it legitimately terrified me. Now if you know me at all, a movie that scares me is well....let's just say this is literally the only film I've seen since I was 10…

• Dermot Arnold

★★★½ Watched by Dermot Arnold 20 Apr, 2015

I guess I sort of liked this movie, but it got me to realise that Horror must be the most deconstructed genre ever. Has anyone put a mirror to other genres as much as there are self referential horror movies?

• Fsjallink

Direction: 8/10
    Pacing/Editing: 8/10

• Brandon Mazzara

★★★ Watched by Brandon Mazzara 12 Apr, 2015

A fine horror film, but I kind of enjoyed the slow burn of a buildup quite a bit more than the payoff, which was super unsatisfying and generic.

• haleybourgeois

★★★★ Added by haleybourgeois

One of the best horror films made in the 2000's. I love how it was made to look like a eighties movie.

• Dead Moon Night

★★★★ Rewatched by Dead Moon Night 16 Apr, 2015 2

A note outside of campus with the letters Baby $itter Needed is the beginning of a diabolic event during a full lunar eclipse...

It's 80s horror but made in the year of our lord 2009 (shot on 16mm film, which makes it feel even more retro). Ti West's satanic horror movie The House of the Devil is a stylish, creepy slow burner that slowly builds up the tension to the great finale. The House of the Devil is really good and West's best movie.

• VisitorQ

★★★★ Rewatched by VisitorQ 14 Apr, 2015

One of the best horror movies of the last 20 years... ah fuck it, ALL TIME! ♥

• Christopher Bowes

★★★ Watched by Christopher Bowes 12 Apr, 2015

Horror films are often victims of their own excess. The House of the Devil avoids most of the pitfalls of the genre, but it might actually have too much patience for my taste. It hold back on its scares so long that it feels as if West is padding the already slim running time. Besides one effective burst of violence at the twenty-five minute mark, it takes about an hour to cash in on any of the dread the filmmakers…