• Steven Espinoza

★★★★½ Watched by Steven Espinoza 03 Feb, 2016

What worked:
    Aesthetically, the film is an all in foray into look and feel of a classic 1980s horror picture. The filmmakers used 16mm film to capture the era they intended and it did not falter. The cinematography was outstanding, and hearkened back to flashes of The Shining. The music was helped set the atmosphere and keep the tension burning throughout the entire film. The production design was fantastic as it perfectly recreated the 1980s as seen in cinema. Jocelin…

• Kalpit Tandon

★★½ Watched by Kalpit Tandon 01 Feb, 2016 4

Sinful for excessive detailing, plentiful buildup and foreshadowing for which the reveal makes one feel cheated, The House of the Devil is more like The House of the Yawns.

Nonetheless, courtesy to grainy nostalgic texture, the throwback feeling to 70's horror is bang on correct!

• awiki

★★★ Added by awiki

The 3 stars are for the amazing ambiance & cinematography. It truly feels like a horror movie from the 70's, and honestly it's beautifully filmed.

BUT I am a story driven horror nerd; and story-wise there is nothing original happening here. I don't have a problem with a slow paced film. I love the Changeling, and I love Rosemary's Baby - and this film was obviously an homage to those films -- but the ending needs to be king in a…

• Alexander Båtsvik

★★ Watched by Alexander Båtsvik 29 Jan, 2016

Trust me! Do not watch this film, it's just a waste of time!

• Sigfred Storstrand

★½ Watched by Sigfred Storstrand 29 Jan, 2016

Ti West tries to make a 70s horror flick 40 years too late.

• Steven Adam Renkovish

★★★★★ Added by Steven Adam Renkovish

The House of the Devil is one of the best feature debuts that I have ever seen. I’ve heard reviewers compare this film to the early work of Polanski, and I would have to agree. If you took the isolation and the paranoia of Repulsion and the satanic horror of Rosemary’s Baby, put them in a blender and poured out the contents, you’d probably get something like The House of the Devil.

The House of the Devil tells the story…

• Pax

★★★ Watched by Pax 19 Jan, 2016

Not a great horror film, but a successful one. They went out with the idea to replicate the days of the 80's horror genre. They succeeded, I couldn't imagine this film being made in 2009. I was so impressed with the sincerity they strobe to pay homage to the genre. However, because they really sought to evoke that style, they also took on the negatives of the style. My major issue was pacing. The first hour of the film is pretty slow, even for a film "from" the eighties. Still a very interesting and for all intensive purposes successful film.

• megann

★★★★ Added by megann

great directing, cinematography (holy crap), acting

i think we've collectively shit ourselves when we realized this isn't a "classic" but actually released in 2009. whaaaa ???

no seriously, this is the kind of movie i want to pop in on a dark stormy night while cuddled into someone. the atmosphere of this movie and overall decade specific aesthetic is fantastic. cheap scares/thrills are out of the question too surprisingly.

4/5

• JN

★★★★½ Watched by JN 31 Jul, 2014

Super retro old-school vibes, with clear influences from early Polanski like Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion. Some really sick twists, meshed well with a great lead performance from Donahue. I quite enjoyed Ti West's commitment to homage.

It escalated quickly. Slow building of tension for 80% then a furious foot to the pedal in the last few moments.

• Tom Normandy

★★★★ Watched by Tom Normandy 09 Jan, 2016

Rating: B+

• Alex DelPriore

★★½ Added by Alex DelPriore

Although I respect the nod to 70s and 80s horror films, The House of the Devil failed to scare or entertain through the first 80 minutes of the film.

• Jarret Blinkhorn