• Mitch Anderson

★★★★ Watched by Mitch Anderson 31 Jul, 2014

The House of the Devil is a perfect example of a film telling a simple, often-told story in a unique way. Ti West's focus on creating a realistic environment, then introducing small scares that begin to add up to a deep sense of unease allows The House of the Devil to straddle the line between the satanic horror and psychological horror genres. These details allow West to utilize the natural passage of time to create tension, rather than creating an…

• Will M-L

★★★★ Watched by Will M-L 29 Jul, 2014

Officially the biggest homage horror movie of all time, but it's never obnoxiously obvious, Ti West demonstrates a clear understanding of what makes the horror genre so great when done right.

It's a study in suspense rather than jump scares, which in my opinion is always the better kind of horror film, and its success lies in its simplicity and its direction by West.

It is very easy to make this kind of horror film, but it's very hard to make em this good.

• MooseMeister

★½ Watched by MooseMeister 29 Jul, 2014

From the (maybe intentionally) cheesy logos for its different production companies to the (kind of fitting) 80s horror movie title cards, it is off to a good start (and it has Greta Gerwig in it). But then soon the movie turns out to be rather boring and uninspired.

What did I follow Amazon's recommendation for this one? I had watched another Ti West movie lately (and did not like "The Sacrament" very much), so here I am again *sigh*

• Brett

★★★★ Watched by Brett 25 Jul, 2014

361/365 (365 films in 365 days)

Really good film. Not too scary but suspenseful and, occasionally, shocking. Great pacing and it did a good job of the period setting.

• Lintel Soups

★★★★★ Added by Lintel Soups

This movie is hardcore and if you disagree you're wrong. Definitely need more satanism movies like this.

• Audrey Karloff

★★★ Watched by Audrey Karloff 27 Jul, 2014 4

Man, Ti West is never in a hurry, is he?

• PRY

★★★★½ Rewatched by PRY 22 Jul, 2014

Slow and almost perfect. Directed with almost too much horror confidence.

• tedmills

★★½ Watched by tedmills 24 Jul, 2014

A nice pastiche of Argento and Bob Clarke starring Jocelin Donahue as a Karen Allen/Jessica Harper/Barbara Hershey lookalike all alone in a spooky house. Like Ti West's similar (but I think better) The Innkeepers, this also features an indie actress (Greta Gerwig) with much too little screen time, totally fleshing out a role that's usually a throwaway in genre films like this. Builds to a fine climax, but then the final ambiguity left me a bit meh. Feels less like a film and more like an essay about all its influences, but you may like that sort of thing.

• Shawna of the Shire

★★★½ Watched by Shawna of the Shire 23 Jul, 2014

A disappointing last 20mins but I dug it.

• GazingIntoLight

★★★★ Watched by GazingIntoLight 12 Jul, 2014

Wonderfully creepy and atmospheric until the big reveal -- which took me out of the movie and made for a dissapointing final 20 minutes.

• loupea

★★★½ Watched by loupea 07 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Ben Hyde

★★★ Watched by Ben Hyde 07 Jul, 2014

More impressive as a calling card for Ti West than as a movie in and of itself. The neatest trick it pulls isn't the appreciably committed 80s throwback formalism but the fact that for the first hour, absolutely nothing happens narratively to indicate that this is a horror movie (not counting that one scene with Greta Gerwig). A young woman rents a house. She needs money. She agrees to babysit for money. Turns out she's babysitting an ailing old woman.…