• Brandon Vander Hey

★★★★ Added by Brandon Vander Hey

So yeah, this is basically Ti West's 1978 horror movie, produced and distributed in the year 2009. Behind the throwback is a remarkable demonstration of terror in silence. There's no doubt from frame one that "The House of the Devil" will leave you shocked. It's eerie as hell and the horror is all under your nose... but it's hiding. Invisible.

Every carefully chosen shot and off-putting camera angle aid the film's crippling tension. Following suit, the most minute things, even a smile, seem like a cover-up. Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Experience the subtle

• Cameron Croston

★★★★½ Rewatched by Cameron Croston 29 Jun, 2015

Ti West's best film thus far. Great tension throughout and a fantastic ending make this a future horror classic. Along with an aesthetic that not only feels genuine to the horror films of the 80's it also provides a great leap in quality for the film. If this was shot on digital it just wouldn't feel the same.

• Martin Sergio

★★ Watched by Martin Sergio 28 Jun, 2015

Le tenia fe y me termino desilucionando. Me parecio tibia. Cuando parece que algo va a ocurrir no pasa nada. Es una pelicula que le sobran entre 15-20 minutos. Otro ejemplo de que el genero de terror sigue dormidisimo.

• fatpie42

★★★½ Watched by fatpie42 15 Jan, 2011

I saw this a while back, but I never got around to reviewing it. It's an odd one really, but in a good way.

House Of The Devil has been made to look like it's an older classic horror movie, even to the point where it was given a limited release on videotape. I'd have said that the style looked like it came from the 70s, but it's more likely mimicking the style of movies during the 80s (which would…

• mrza

★★★½ Watched by mrza 21 Jun, 2015

A nice lil nugget

• Matias Gallipoli

★★★★ Watched by Matias Gallipoli 14 Jun, 2015 3

Esta pelicula me hizo confiar en el genero otra vez. Veanla.

• Robert Cullen

★★★★ Watched by Robert Cullen 16 Jun, 2015

I was 100% sold on it starting with the first shot, and then it keeps getting better and better. I couldn't look away. This movie has got some killer tension buildups. The score is subtle but compelling, and the "aged" film becomes something your hardly notice, but never stop appreciating. How did it take me so long to see it?!

• Trevor Brown

★★★★ Watched by Trevor Brown 16 Jun, 2015

This, for me, was a great horror movie. Loved the slow pace, the constant set up for scares that never happen, until they do and then have a greater impact. Also very impressed with the 80's style of directing, a tribute to that era of slasher flicks.

• Rick DeSantis

★★★ Rewatched by Rick DeSantis 14 Jun, 2015

I like this devil worship movie that is set in the 80's but harkens back to devil worship flicks of the 70's, Great setting (the house is super cool) and I love the way the movie was filmed. Jocelin Donahue is so good in the lead. Tom Noonan, Mary Woronov and AJ Bowen are extremely creepy and do so well. The cameo by Dee Wallace is the bomb. A slow burn of a movie but the tension is ratcheted up throughout.

• Laser

Watched by Laser 13 Jun, 2015 4

There is nothing scary in this movie
    There is nothing creepy in this movie
    There is nothing spooky in this movie
    There is nothing original in this movie
    There is nothing disturbing in this movie
    There is nothing interesting in this movie
    There is nothing entertaining in this movie
    There is nothing atmospheric in this movie

Why does everyone praise this?

• SmokingPizza

★★★★½ Added by SmokingPizza

Subtly executed but promisingly strong. I understand how people thought of this as slow or even perhaps boring for some of it but you have to look past that. You have to view this for its homage elements, for it's way to keep spinning the web slowly until finally the spider comes down and sucks out your neck meat. Had this come out in the 70s or 80s it'd be a cult classic today. Hopefully it will reach something of that fame as time goes on but from what I gather a lot of people like this as much as I do.

• Paul Phoenix

★★★ Watched by Paul Phoenix 12 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

There's a scene in this movie where the protagonist, Samantha Hughes (played by Jocelin Donahue), dancing without a care just moments before, goes downstairs for no reason and sees a suspicious RV parked outside the mansion. This is one of the few moments in the movie where plot was sacrificed for forced suspense.

From the first 10 minutes of the movie, you could tell what kind of movie Ti West was trying to make - a slow-crawl thriller that hearkens…