• DKAudio

★★★½ Added by DKAudio

I have only seen this film once but the more I think about it the more I feel that this can easily make a top horror movie list. This is not do to the story (I am actually tired of the whole cult type idea) but the way this was shot as a nod to 80's horror, the details, the set-up, the acting, the creepy house, the suspense, etc where all done exceptionally well.

• Chris Flippo

★★★½ Watched by Chris Flippo 28 Feb, 2015

The house never catches on fire!

But still a pretty fun horror film.

• Cameron

Watched by Cameron 01 Mar, 2015

I haven't loved a horror this much since you're next

• Kevin Hsieh

★★★ Watched by Kevin Hsieh 27 Feb, 2015

64/100

• Garrett Smith

★★★ Watched by Garrett Smith 27 Feb, 2015

Oh hell yes. This movie is essentially an 80's tone poem. It just wanted me to remember a time before cell phones and the internet and how that itself lends a level of unease and terror to even the mundane. And this movie is full of the mundane. It just keeps slowly building a sense of dread, with each act being punctuated with a brief scene of horror until we reach the finale. And although the finale is exactly what…

• Jez Meyer

★★½ Added by Jez Meyer

This atmospheric homage starts strong but flounders as Ti West misses the mark with his pacing. Slow-burns can't be left to extinguish completely, and if they are the way to re-light them is not to shoehorn in a balls-to-the-wall final act. Consistent and effective aesthetic needs ideally to be married to compelling narrative, something which just doesn't happen here.

• Chase Eiland

★★★★ Watched by Chase Eiland 12 Oct, 2014

A perfectly shot retro horror film with effective slow building terror and a crazy end.

• Lynchead

★★½ Watched by Lynchead 15 Feb, 2015

The only way one can even describe this as a decent horror film is if their knowledge of the genre hasn't been thoroughly schooled on the '70s and '80s.

Ti West exhibits a complete and fundamental lack of not only the genre he claims to love so much, but simply how to entertain without a hokey script.

Half the time, it felt like I was viewing a shitty tribute to a much better film.

This is an unpopular opinion but Kevin Smith made a slightly better version of this 2 years after with Red State.

• Gert Verbeek

★★★½ Watched by Gert Verbeek 02 Jun, 2010

De fletse gele belettering in de openingstitels en de walkman van Samantha (Jocelin Donahue) zorgen in deze horrorfilm voor een prettig retrogevoel. De filmtitel zegt genoeg over het gevaar dat de babysitter loopt als ze, gemotiveerd door geldgebrek, bevestigend antwoordt op de vraag van de sinistere Mr. Ulman (Tom Noonan) of ze een paar uur op zijn bedlegerige moeder wil passen. Buiten staat de maan op het punt uit het zicht te verdwijnen door de schaduw van de aarde. The…

• BeetleEye66

★★★★½ Watched by BeetleEye66 12 Feb, 2015

"Are you not the babysitter?"

I really loved how perfectly the movie gets the 80s vibe, even though I don't watch 80s movies that much. A film that imitates a type of film so transportatively is not just a copy or homage, as I feel like transportive homage is a genre in itself. Whereas films that merely copy the plot or style of these old films (like Berbarian Sound Studio) in a knowing way, but without actually making an effort…

• Gordo

★★★★½ Watched by Gordo 06 Jan, 2011

Basically a 70's horror film set in the 80's and made in the 00's. Really enjoyed this even though in its heart it is really just a very good ripoff of Rosemary's Baby. What elevates it above standard horror fare is the atmosphere and pacing, the main character's struggle between paranoia and real fear is extremely convincing and the pace at which she goes from nervous that she might be in a bad situation to horrified is just very realistically conveyed. The cast is great too, especially Tom Noonan. I think I would have liked the ending better without the hospital epilogue entirely.

• sprizzle

★★ Watched by sprizzle 04 Feb, 2015 5

What starts as an average night babysitting in the 1980s, continues as an average night babysitting in the 1980s for most of the film. This is what they call a "Slow Burn".

Ti West nails the 80s. I mean, I can't speak from experience, I wasn't really around but it looks and feels authentic. You have the promise of a horror movie but this makes you wait. What you get is a lot of slightly strange occurrences revolving around a…