• Roger Potersnak

★★★ Watched by Roger Potersnak 24 Aug, 2014

An attempt at recreating the horror films of the 1980s, The House of the Devil succeeds im craft, feel, and convention. While the twists are easily spotted and the narrative is derivative, there is something effective about the film's slow burn and crafting of a sympathetic central character that struck my fancy.

• Lindsay Blair

★★★★ Watched by Lindsay Blair 23 Aug, 2014

I loved this! The feel of an 80's horror film was captured so well. The slow build up was perfect and really succeeded in putting me on edge. Damn good film.

• Jesue Valle

★★★★ Watched by Jesue Valle 22 Aug, 2014

Rosemary's Baby meets The Shining.

Slow in all the best ways.

A final act that is genuinely terrifying and one that is earned because of the well-crafted, deliberately paced first and second act.

A score that isn't just used to scare but also to set the wonderfully eerie mood.

Greta Gerwig.

I think an 80s horror marathon is in order.

• AngryAssSloth

★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 20 Aug, 2014

The House of The Devil is about a women currently enrolled in college who is looking for some extra cash so she can move out of her dorm. She luckily finds an ad for a babysitter and calls the number looking for some quick cash.

As I've seen before in my least favorite segment in V/H/S, "Second Honeymoon", Ti West loves to really drag on a story. For me unfortunately, there was some kind of glitch with Plex's player so…

• mo_shack

★★★½ Rewatched by mo_shack 16 Aug, 2014

The House of the Devil reminds me of watching scary movies as a kid and how fun that was. Ti West does a masterful job of recreating the look and tone of the greatest low budget horror films from the late 70's and early 80's. The intentionally grainy and saturated color palette is the key component in delivering the well-crafted suspense and a creepy feeling of isolation. In fact, I cannot recall any recent films of the genre that come close to this level of careful refinement and understanding. The opening credits sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

• Jonathan Lamb

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Lamb 02 Aug, 2014

Really surprised by this film, I absolutely hated Ti West's entry in VHS. It was boring and lazy.

Here however, he shows a real talent for recreating a film from another era. House of the Devil is like a lost horror film from the 70's, it's shot, paced and edited wonderfully and really feels like it belongs to that era rather than feeling like a tribute or parody of 70's horror films.

The pacing for me is the best thing…

• Guillermo Bosque

★★★½ Watched by Guillermo Bosque 23 Jul, 2014

Summary: The House Of The Devil has too much suspense and quickly becomes boring. But it succeeds as a throwback-ish experiment and the last 20 minutes are quite good. 71/100 [B-]

Sam is a pretty college sophomore, so desperate to earn some cash for a deposit on an apartment that she accepts a babysitting job even after she finds out there is no baby. Mr. and Mrs. Ulman are the older couple who lure Sam out to their creaky Victorian…

• 3rdRevelation

★★½ Watched by 3rdRevelation 08 Aug, 2014 3

The House of the Devil failed to keep my attention to the point that pretty much some of the more sinister realizations of the film failed to impact me. The film picks up steam towards the end, but then ends on an awful and overdone horror convention. It's a stylish film though (at least it has that going for it), but I really wish it would have coupled that style with an interesting story.

This is now the 2nd well-regarded…

• Alex

★★★★½ Watched by Alex 09 Aug, 2014

So good! So 80s! So scary!

I've enjoyed Ti West's other movies, but after having watched this I'm mad the other's aren't as good. But, wow what a fun movie.

• Putri Dyanti R.

★★½ Watched by Putri Dyanti R. 07 Aug, 2014

I thought the ending was a let down. The film itself was running really slow and I was waiting for something unexpected or a twist to happen throughout but it didn't. Nevertheless, I really did enjoy the 80's vibe, the music, and the style, it just felt nostalgic. I expected more from this film, but in the end it's still really scary.

• Mitch Anderson

★★★★ Watched by Mitch Anderson 31 Jul, 2014

The House of the Devil is a perfect example of a film telling a simple, often-told story in a unique way. Ti West's focus on creating a realistic environment, then introducing small scares that begin to add up to a deep sense of unease allows The House of the Devil to straddle the line between the satanic horror and psychological horror genres. These details allow West to utilize the natural passage of time to create tension, rather than creating an…

• Will M-L

★★★★ Watched by Will M-L 29 Jul, 2014

Officially the biggest homage horror movie of all time, but it's never obnoxiously obvious, Ti West demonstrates a clear understanding of what makes the horror genre so great when done right.

It's a study in suspense rather than jump scares, which in my opinion is always the better kind of horror film, and its success lies in its simplicity and its direction by West.

It is very easy to make this kind of horror film, but it's very hard to make em this good.