• BodyBoy

★★★½ Watched by BodyBoy 27 Aug, 2014

When I review too much, I can feel the pages of my internal thesaurus crumble to dust by the dozen. I worked (still do sort of) for a review website from 2008-2010, but it became too much and my writing suffered. From 2010-2014, I have only completed two for said site. Woops... Still, I'll try. Forgive me if they're not everything you were hoping for based on my previous.

The House of the Devil is a very slow burning Ti…

• Jaime Rodriguez

★★★★½ Watched by Jaime Rodriguez 27 Aug, 2014 2

Nunca había visto una película de Ti West pero por lo que he leído en sus películas utiliza mucho la manera de contar las historias de la forma en que lo hizo aquí.
    Hacía mucho que no veía una película que se preocupara tanto por hacer que te conectes con el personaje, pienso que ese es su mayor atributo.
    A la película le falta MUCHO terror pero lo que la hace efectiva, también, es la tensión que se genera en…

• Liam Hathaway

★★★ Added by Liam Hathaway

It's a film which seems to be a straight relic of 60s and 70s horror cinema with its overarching style, visuals and nuances. It's just a shame that the film slow-burns to an ineffective payoff. Since The House Of The Devil however, Ti West has established himself as one of the most reliable names in modern horror.

• Roger Potersnak

★★★ Watched by Roger Potersnak 24 Aug, 2014

An attempt at recreating the horror films of the 1980s, The House of the Devil succeeds im craft, feel, and convention. While the twists are easily spotted and the narrative is derivative, there is something effective about the film's slow burn and crafting of a sympathetic central character that struck my fancy.

• Lindsay Blair

★★★★ Watched by Lindsay Blair 23 Aug, 2014

I loved this! The feel of an 80's horror film was captured so well. The slow build up was perfect and really succeeded in putting me on edge. Damn good film.

• Jesue Valle

★★★★ Watched by Jesue Valle 22 Aug, 2014

Rosemary's Baby meets The Shining.

Slow in all the best ways.

A final act that is genuinely terrifying and one that is earned because of the well-crafted, deliberately paced first and second act.

A score that isn't just used to scare but also to set the wonderfully eerie mood.

Greta Gerwig.

I think an 80s horror marathon is in order.

• AngryAssSloth

★★★ Watched by AngryAssSloth 20 Aug, 2014

The House of The Devil is about a women currently enrolled in college who is looking for some extra cash so she can move out of her dorm. She luckily finds an ad for a babysitter and calls the number looking for some quick cash.

As I've seen before in my least favorite segment in V/H/S, "Second Honeymoon", Ti West loves to really drag on a story. For me unfortunately, there was some kind of glitch with Plex's player so…

• mo_shack

★★★½ Rewatched by mo_shack 16 Aug, 2014

The House of the Devil reminds me of watching scary movies as a kid and how fun that was. Ti West does a masterful job of recreating the look and tone of the greatest low budget horror films from the late 70's and early 80's. The intentionally grainy and saturated color palette is the key component in delivering the well-crafted suspense and a creepy feeling of isolation. In fact, I cannot recall any recent films of the genre that come close to this level of careful refinement and understanding. The opening credits sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

• Jonathan Lamb

★★★ Watched by Jonathan Lamb 02 Aug, 2014

Really surprised by this film, I absolutely hated Ti West's entry in VHS. It was boring and lazy.

Here however, he shows a real talent for recreating a film from another era. House of the Devil is like a lost horror film from the 70's, it's shot, paced and edited wonderfully and really feels like it belongs to that era rather than feeling like a tribute or parody of 70's horror films.

The pacing for me is the best thing…

• Guillermo Bosque

★★★½ Watched by Guillermo Bosque 23 Jul, 2014

Summary: The House Of The Devil has too much suspense and quickly becomes boring. But it succeeds as a throwback-ish experiment and the last 20 minutes are quite good. 71/100 [B-]

Sam is a pretty college sophomore, so desperate to earn some cash for a deposit on an apartment that she accepts a babysitting job even after she finds out there is no baby. Mr. and Mrs. Ulman are the older couple who lure Sam out to their creaky Victorian…

• 3rdRevelation

★★½ Watched by 3rdRevelation 08 Aug, 2014 3

The House of the Devil failed to keep my attention to the point that pretty much some of the more sinister realizations of the film failed to impact me. The film picks up steam towards the end, but then ends on an awful and overdone horror convention. It's a stylish film though (at least it has that going for it), but I really wish it would have coupled that style with an interesting story.

This is now the 2nd well-regarded…

• Alex

★★★★½ Watched by Alex 09 Aug, 2014

So good! So 80s! So scary!

I've enjoyed Ti West's other movies, but after having watched this I'm mad the other's aren't as good. But, wow what a fun movie.