• Owen Hughes

★★★★ Rewatched by Owen Hughes 24 Oct, 2014 1

Another that's been C&P'd from something I put together for the Failed Critics website!

The 2000’s was the first decade that I was actually old enough to go to the cinema and watch horror films. Of course, like a lot of people, I grew up watching them regardless of their recommended age certificates. However, the thrill of being allowed in to see films such as Thir13en Ghosts or Jeepers Creepers made up for the guff quality of a few of…

• Rhys13

★★★★ Watched by Rhys13 17 Oct, 2014

“The House of the Devil” is a meticulous homage to 1970s horror films, expertly blending the haunted house and satanic cult sub-genres. Director Ti West’s film is a slow burn punctuated by bursts of violence. While I found this approach to be very effective, viewers will either be enthralled or bored to tears. With spot-on casting and a great soundtrack featuring The Fixx, Thomas Dolby, and The Greg Kihn Band, “The House of the Devil” is easy to recommend.

• Benedict Keeler

★★★★ Watched by Benedict Keeler 30 Oct, 2014

Now this is a horror film.

Very good at keeping it casual and building the atmosphere with brief glimpses of what's to come. The lead reminded me of a younger, even prettier Brooke Adams which reinforced the late 70's/early 80's vibe it clearly is harking back to - and she more than carried the film.

The final act is where it all kicks off and is perfectly executed, finding an aesthetic somewhere between the classic horrors of that time period…

• starkaryen

Watched by starkaryen 30 Oct, 2014

It doesn't happen anything right until the end, and then the movie ends. Awful.

• lobsta

★★★ Watched by lobsta 30 Oct, 2014

Stop #27 for Hoop-Tober

Most reviews here on letterboxd that have problems with the film take issue with pacing of the film, that its slow and arduous for far too long. I think I partially disagree with that as there is plenty of setups and goings ons in the beginning of the film to satisfy, the way the film recaptures without repackaging the 80's aesthetic (freeze frame titles card and all) is superb which seems to highlight the problematic lull…

• DataAngel Ferdinand

★★★★ Watched by DataAngel Ferdinand 29 Oct, 2014

Ho-lee shit. How was this made by the same person who did "The Inkeepers"? This was genuinely creepy and looked fantastic. The whole "late 70s/early 80s" horror movie feel/look, the credits in the same style. The great big question mark ending.

There's a few honest scares in it. It's more suspense than flat-out horror, and it works. Other people have described it as a "slow burn" and it is. It's also completely worth the wait.

Also, I'd completely forgotten about "One of our Submarines" by Thomas Dolby. That shows up in the soundtrack.

• Adam Smith

★★★½ Watched by Adam Smith 27 Oct, 2014

Very very slow burner of a movie. Extremely well done and mimics the low budget slasher films of the the 80s. Does well with building believable tension.

• Jake Strunk

★★★½ Watched by Jake Strunk 27 Oct, 2014

"The House of Devil" is all mounting tension and build up to a horrifying climax.

An early 1980's setting provides just the right amount of quirk. All the independent spirit of Carpenter's Halloween with a pinch of Rosemary's Baby.

• Patrick Finn

★★★½ Added by Patrick Finn

Seriously had to double check to see what year this movie was created. Great job creating the ominous 80s atmosphere.

• hydra815

★★★★½ Added by hydra815

Being a pretty unashamed fan of 1980's horror cinema, I have been meaning to catch up with this one for a while and after seeing Ti West's *The Innkeepers* and enjoying it a lot, especially the cultured direction, I thought it was a good time to have a look at West's earlier work too. I'm so glad I did because this is a film that manages to replicate the trashy charm of the 80's then use it to a slick…

• Matthew Birt

★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew Birt 25 Oct, 2014

Take your headphones off, silly. The pizza guy is on his way.

Also, so is Satan.

• Sara Williams

★★★ Watched by Sara Williams 25 Oct, 2014

The House of the Devil is a well crafted intense thriller. You know something's going to happen inside the house because of the films' title but you can never be sure what, or why.
    Samantha, a college student, eager to get a house of her own decides to take a job as a babysitter one night from two rather odd individuals. Despite the obvious creepiness of the situation, Sam's in desperate need of funds and decides to take on the…