• Tim

★★★ Added by Tim

The first feature that I saw from up-and-coming director Ti West was "Cabin Fever 2", an unimaginative direct-to-video sequel that could have been directed by anyone with no experience behind the camera. And even though the finished product is flawed, West has grown into a filmmaker with great potential with his follow-up, called "The House of the Devil".

The first thing that grabs you about the film, and really the best thing about it, is the retro feel. West clearly…

• Eric Hatch

★★★★½ Added by Eric Hatch

My favorite horror film of the 2000s.

• PnkLdy783

★★½ Watched by PnkLdy783 13 Dec, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• prnapper2

★★★½ Added by prnapper2

Excellent slowburner. Good nod to 70s/80s slashers with editing/credits/overall atmosphere. Always a delight to see Noonan as well.

• Marna Larsen

★★★★ Added by Marna Larsen

I really liked this. I think maybe the retro feel might have rubbed me the wrong way at some other point in time but I found myself absorbed immediately.

• Matt Greene

★★★½ Added by Matt Greene

The best kind of horror-mystery is one in which you don’t trust anything you’re shown. House of the Devil does this with its slow burn of tension and its astute paranoia. It also looks great, being a movie set in the early 80s and looking like it was made then as well. Unfortunately once the climax kicks in, the thrills let off and it becomes kinda generic.

• Adam Massingham

★★★★ Rewatched by Adam Massingham 09 Dec, 2014

In amongst all the torture and found footage genre offshoots in the world, film maker Ti West wanted to do something different which still had elements of the genre he loved; moving forward while at the same time looking back for inspiration. The House of the Devil did just that. Released in 2009 but looking and feeling like a lost 80's classic, it has the slow build up of tension throughout, focus on the eccentricities of the characters along with…

• Josiah Morgan

★★★ Watched by Josiah Morgan 09 Dec, 2014 9

dat atmosphere is astounding; and the film-making and direction succeeds at exactly what it sets out to do, but unfortunately it just doesn't feel like there's much THERE.

Will perhaps revisit this at some point?

• Gabrielle

★★★★ Watched by Gabrielle 07 Dec, 2014

Pretty good. Genuinely creepy throughout, cool 70s vibe. I enjoyed this. The only thing I didn't like was the "terrified female character stumbled up the stairs instead of running out of the house" cliché but it really wasn't a big deal. Fun ending, too.

• Aaron A.

★★★½ Watched by Aaron A. 06 Dec, 2014

Genuinely creepy and frighting throughout, and it doesn't come off like a parody of 80's horror but more of a period piece horror movie, if that makes sense. The ending is pretty great as well.

• Byron Lueders

★★★½ Watched by Byron Lueders 04 Dec, 2014

Nailed it.

• CT_Sexybeast

★★★★½ Watched by CT_Sexybeast 30 Nov, 2014

That's some crazy shit. Horrifying, creepy, and downright insane, The House of the Devil is easily one of the best modern horror films out there. TI West really distances himself from most of the "jump scare" movies polluting the market and showcases the power of just how great a well-built tense atmosphere can be. All in all, this is horror done right. Amazing filmmaking right here.