• Jordan

★★★★ Watched by Jordan 12 May, 2014

Greta Gerwig eats pizza in a scene that combines quite possibly my two favorite things on this planet.

• Hooded Justice

Rewatched by Hooded Justice 19 Sep, 2014

"The following is based on true unexplained events..."

I'm not quite sure I buy that, but this pitch-perfect '80s throwback builds nicely (and patiently) to its grand guignol climax. It also makes me want to dig up my clunky old Walkman and rock out to The Fixx.

• Fitzers227

★★★½ Watched by Fitzers227 13 Sep, 2014

This movie is all build up with one, big, bloody climax at the end. It's clearly channeling Carpenter's Halloween, in a really wonderful way. It could almost be considered parody, it's almost over-the-top in its building of tension. Great little horror movie!

• Mark Atkins

★★★★ Watched by Mark Atkins 12 Sep, 2014 1

Still digesting this, but really enjoyed it. It's so well done, and I appreciated the slow build up. Plus Tom Noonan! He's tall.

• Mark_Lemmond

★★★ Watched by Mark_Lemmond 12 Sep, 2014

It's a slow film, it takes it's time to get where it's going. That's not necessarily a bad thing but here they could have increased the pace a little. It's never a good sign when I start wondering how much of the movie is left. The performances are all good and I loved seeing some genre favorites given a little screen time.

• Kyle

★★★½ Watched by Kyle 09 Sep, 2014

Now this is an interesting little film. Clearly lovingly sending up the old horror films of late 70s/early 80s, but much more subtle than a routine homage. Spends a long time, majority of run time, creating an atmosphere of tension in a place that clearly isn't safe, kudos to a fantastic short part where Megan stops her car to light a cigarette, but the ending does fall a bit short. Too much of a jump to the final act, which…

• Samuel

★★★★★ Rewatched by Samuel 08 Sep, 2014

Are you not the babysitter?

My favorite modern horror film. I could see this becoming a yearly tradition.

• IfWeMadeIt

Watched by IfWeMadeIt 17 Aug, 2012

Episode 61

• Travis Wilson

★½ Watched by Travis Wilson 06 Sep, 2014

Yawn. A bore fest that was mildly interesting till half way through, then it just become a slow decrepit film trying to build on suspense that really wasn't there. In the first hour, the only hint at suspense was when her friend is shot. That's it. Then, when it's to late, it just flops and flails in redundant cult sacrifice ritual been there done that plot. And here, I was expecting this great movie from all the hype I've heard on podcast. I've got to stop listening to hype built up on podcast. Another one down that I didn't care for.

• Matt Thomas

★★★½ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 06 Sep, 2014

Easily Ti West's best film to date. Builds well with an decent payoff. Good old school horror.

• ScottPhillips

★★★½ Added by ScottPhillips

An homage to '80s horror films that manages to be scary in its own right. A slow burn modern-day installment in the "Babysitter in Peril" genre. Tom Noonan delivers another in a long line of creepy performances. Simply casting Noonan can be a spoiler these days, but Ti West ratchets up the tension to a surprising conclusion.

• BodyBoy

★★★½ Watched by BodyBoy 27 Aug, 2014

When I review too much, I can feel the pages of my internal thesaurus crumble to dust by the dozen. I worked (still do sort of) for a review website from 2008-2010, but it became too much and my writing suffered. From 2010-2014, I have only completed two for said site. Woops... Still, I'll try. Forgive me if they're not everything you were hoping for based on my previous.

The House of the Devil is a very slow burning Ti…