• Cait Cibulsky

★★★½ Watched by Cait Cibulsky 26 Oct, 2012

What a fun fucking movie. Very successful as an homage and really feels from the beginning like it was shot in Ye Olden Times of the early 80s.

I don't trust Ti West tho, even though I liked this + The Inkeepers. I...basically just don't trust anybody involved in the violently upsetting misogynistic shitproject that was V/H/S

• Anton Bitel

Added by Anton Bitel

Review published by EyeforFilm

• Michael Candelario

★★★½ Watched by Michael Candelario 23 Aug, 2015 1

A little wacky/indie and not as compact as I would have liked, but overall I enjoyed it.

• mfulton

★★★½ Added by mfulton

B

• Egon

★★★★ Added by Egon

I love it when movies surprise you out of nowhere like this. The House of the Devil literally feels like this lost gem of a horror movie from the early 80's that's recently been discovered. It's also one of the most suspenseful movies I've seen in the last 10+ years.

Writer/director Ti West knows it's not always about the payoff in this genre, but the anticipation. The pace, the atmosphere, the tension...this is a fantastic throwback horror/suspense film in the…

• Wes Ball

★★★½ Watched by Wes Ball 22 Aug, 2015 2

Ti West's The House of the Devil has all the great workings of essential 80's horror classics. He even nails the grainy cinematography and the oftimes cheesy overacting of the characters from horror films of that time. He manages to recreate a realistic 1980's atmosphere that never falls short, like the vain attempt in The Box. Instead, everything is corded, the televisions are tubes, and the old Coke logo is back in full view. Ti does everything possible to make…

• Stephen

★★ Watched by Stephen 21 Aug, 2015

An '80s throwback in plot, style, setting and music — with some gorgeously retro titles — that unfortunately inherits the most annoying thing about the genre: the ability to coast by with lots of "moody" "tension-building" sequences, so little plot it could fit on a napkin and so few scares it's hard not to feel short-changed.

(I did watch this with some philistinic housemates who kept chatting and texting throughout, but I'm not sure how much difference their absence would make.)

• Richard

Watched by Richard 21 Aug, 2015

What felt like hours of pointless dialogue leading up to a pretty dull climax. Someone needs to tell the director that an hour of dialogue and shots of characters walking around does not equal suspense-building. Seriously, barely any time was spent actually building suspense to the main 'scares'.

• shampoocell

★★★★ Watched by shampoocell 20 Aug, 2015

I'm a big fan of the original "golden era" of horror (roughly 1977-1986). There are a handful of directors who no doubt grew up watching those horror films on late night television, and are now doing some pretty amazing homages.

Ti West really nailed the direction here. There are so many dramatic zooming shots that at times I actually forgot I was watching a modern film. The costuming department absolutely nailed the wardrobes. The ONLY place I think this film…

• Brent Williams

★★★ Watched by Brent Williams 14 Aug, 2015

The House of the Devil is predictable, yet it left me on the edge of my seats throughout.

There are a few surprises in the film, especially the ending, but I could predict some things that happened thirty minutes before. That was disappointing but it doesn't take away from what is a creepy and suspenseful film.

• Kurdt

★★★½ Watched by Kurdt 20 Aug, 2015 2

Hey you!

Yeah you. You like 80s horror, right? Of course you do. Well how about an 80s horror made in the 2000s!

...

No? No seriously it's exactly like an 80s horror - grainy picture, tight jeans, haunted house - except y'know, made recently.

...

Ok fine I understand your trepidation, it's pretty hard to capture the essence of nostalgia-inducing horror in the modern day. How about this? You know that scene in Alien where the guy is searching…

• Andrew Tilley

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Tilley 17 Aug, 2015 2

Amazing slow burn horror with a stupendous climax. Definitive proof that great horror is still being made. Couldn't recommend this enough.