• Chris Alley

Watched by Chris Alley 05 Feb, 2010

A really great horror movie that feels like it should have been released in 1983. You can even buy it on VHS. That is pretty awesome.

• Kev.

★★★★ Watched by Kev. 30 Jan, 2015 2

80's throwback. this movie was pretty fucking awesome. it almost entirely hinges on the building of suspense, and it does this extremely fucking well. by the time the third act kicks in, the tension is thick as butter. and then we get to see everything split apart with blood-curdling horror. it's fuckin' terrifying. the final scene is cliche as shit, but nonetheless foreboding. a new horror classic. looking forward to exploring Ti West's filmography.

• choombaz

★★★ Watched by choombaz 29 Jan, 2015

A terrific exercise in suspense let down by a cliche ridden, over baked ending.

• Jacob C-S

★★★ Watched by Jacob C-S 26 Jan, 2015

A decent 80s throwback horror which focuses on suspense, not scares. However, the 80s aesthetic and funky music cannot disguise the bloated beginning and clichéd finale. Worth a watch though.

• ChairTax

Watched by ChairTax 25 Jan, 2015

Personal feat of strength in fighting the urge to swap in Last Action Hero instead of this garbage when I saw Tom Noonan. Dunno how you make Tom Noonan boring but this movie sure is special.

• Kristopher Brandt

★★★★½ Added by Kristopher Brandt

How did I miss this little gem in 2009!?

The House of the Devil is a stunning example of build up, build up build up and suspense is just as, if not more important than the reveal.

Written, Directed and edited by Ti West, The House of the Devil is shot to look like a good ol' 70's-early 80's horror flick, and it almost brought a tear to my eye. Not only the shots and tone, but the character interaction,…

• Jason MD-P

★★★½ Added by Jason MD-P

Great homage to seventies/eighties Satanic cult horror, right down to the ambiguous ending, but it doesn't really add anything new to the horror sub genre. I love "slow burn" horror and West does a great job recreating it, but why will I watch this instead of something that was actually filmed in the seventies? I'm not criticizing it necessarily; I just think he could have gone someplace new and really blown us away.

• #Phatcox

★★½ Watched by #Phatcox 19 Jan, 2015

Another mediocre Ti West horror film.... God damn it

The House of the Devil (2009) is actually kind of cool. It's made to look like an old 70's/80's low budget horror film like Cannibal Holocaust (1980) or Black Christmas (1974). The plots okay, acting fine too but where the film actually shines is in it's ability to build tension. The film very successfully builds you up to it's climax and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Basically, if…

• D.A. Zapata

★★★★½ Added by D.A. Zapata

Despite having been released only a few years ago, Ti West’s House of the Devil looks like it’s straight out of the 70s. With its grainy camera cinematography and vintage bellbottoms, the film feels like a perfect throwback to the early days of experimental horror, and it does not disappoint. We follow a young college student, Samantha, as she takes a babysitting job late at night. As the film progresses, Samantha learns the job is not at all what she…

• Jordan Collier

★★★ Watched by Jordan Collier 14 Jan, 2015

So while I wasn't very impressed with the film as a whole, I am very impressed in one particular aspect. This movie succeeds in being more than a horror movie that recalls the genre in the 80s. The way it is shot and presented is so true to that era that it feels like it may have been created in that time period, went mysteriously missing, and recently resurfaced in 2009.

Good job Ti West.

• minnix

★½ Watched by minnix 11 Jan, 2015

i didn't like this. i didn't think it was good. i thought it was very boring and the writing was lazy. i thought the acting was ok, and the story could have been great, but the execution was extremely poor. it came off as a high school stage play written by edgy kids instead of something scary or genuinely creepy. and geeze, what a god awful ending. i've only seen two ti west movies, this and the innkeepers, but that's two strikes so far.

• Felix Hubble

★★★★ Rewatched by Felix Hubble 13 Jan, 2015

Beautifully constructed, final 20 are still absolutely terrifying - holds up.