• Arthur Tuoto

★★★★ Watched by Arthur Tuoto 21 Jul, 2015

Dentro dessa onda que venera uma chave clássica do gênero deve ser um dos filmes mais bem-sucedidos. Consegue conservar muito bem todo o seu culto a elementos universais, a uma iconografia que beira o caricato, mas tudo dentro de um movimento bem próprio. Parte de uma emulação derivativa mas no fim das contas ritualiza muito bem todo o modelo que reverencia.

• Lilias

★★★ Watched by Lilias 25 Jul, 2015

Talk about suspense, this movie has got it in spades. In fact, the whole first two-thirds are very tense, thanks to the camera work and the excellently creepy house. I do think the suspenseful part lasted too long, though, and when the finale finally came, it felt a little short.

I did love the nod to 70s and 80s horror, and Greta Gerwig is great!

• Paul Robinson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Robinson 26 Jul, 2015

I had to double take the year this film was made - Yes 2009 - yet it’s more 80’s than any 80’s horror I have ever seen. From the opening credits, it’s grainy style, it’s washed out colours, the soundtrack, even the poster, everything about this film oozes 80’s horror. It isn’t however just a clever gimmick - Ti West’s The House of the Devil does everything right. EVERYTHING.

This is no slasher film. It relies on the classic combination…

• oneinfinity

★★★★ Rewatched by oneinfinity 23 Nov, 2014

8/10. 90% an outstanding creeper that loses a point for the unsatisfying climax.

• M Kitchell

★★★ Watched by M Kitchell 07 Feb, 2010

What I liked best about this was how simple it is-- it's a very straight-forward story that isn't cluttered by much of what makes other contemporary horror frustrating (i.e. irrelevant plot to make the characters 'three dimensional').  It is understood here that character hardly matters in a horror film, that the affect inherent in spending much time with a single character is enough to develop a necessary level of empathy.  This empathy generally isn't even needed: since culture is inherently…

• Carter

★★½ Watched by Carter 19 Jul, 2015 2

It's a nice little '80s throwback that does a great job of setting the scene but ultimately takes too long to gain steam.

• Yago

★★★★ Watched by Yago 21 Jul, 2015

Extremely good in tone and pacing, The House of the Devil sets the mood in a perfect way, but it could've benefited from a better editing.

You know something bad is gonna happen, but it almost never does. It's unnerving, but sometimes not in a good way.

The setting and the costumes are on point and the cinematography pays obvious homage to 70s and 80s horror movies, succeeding unlike many others who tried.

I'd rate it 5 stars if it weren't for some unnecessary, repetitive scenes. Don't watch it if you're sleepy.

• qajacobs

★★★★ Watched by qajacobs 18 Jul, 2015

An excellent throwback / homage to horror films from the mid-to-late 70s and early 80s. What makes The House of the Devil special is that Ti West successfully recreates the aesthetic he aimed to mimic (the camera zoom tactic, the style of the opening and closing credits, the use of 16mm film) while incorporating contemporary horror tricks (realistic gore, strobe-like cuts). This melding of techniques makes for a genuinely scary, suspenseful hour and a half.

• Alex O'Meara

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alex O'Meara 18 Jul, 2015

Horror is a tricky genre to be successful in with mainstream audiences without continuous jump scares (trust me, they get boring fast) or over the top gore. One of two things is required in order to pull off a horror flick: a creepy location and/or a creepy villain.
    Luckily in the case of The House of the Devil, it has both.

Samantha is a sophomore at university and is in desperate need of money to pay for her new apartment,…

• Bryan Williams

★★★★ Added by Bryan Williams

A nice little slow burn horror film that definitely pays off in the end. Also Greta Gerwig is in this and she's so hot! It also has one of the coolest death scenes, I have ever seen in a horror film. So bloody!

• robosllim

★★★★ Added by robosllim

Scariness/creepiness: 3/5
    Effects: 4/5
    Atmosphere: 6/5
    Originality: 3/5

I just can't get over how awesomely retro this movie looks. It doesn't do anything too incredible, but what it does do it does perfectly.

• Jake O'Brien

★★★ Watched by Jake O'Brien 15 Jul, 2015

Ti West and I are on the same page when it comes to fonts, opening credits, music and shot composition but wow is this thing slow or what. Could have made a much better short film.