• Jonathon Parker

★★★½ Watched by Jonathon Parker 19 Nov, 2015

This is, in some respects, an antidote to the modern horror landscape, where traditional formalism has been usurped by the amateurish verisimilitude of "found footage," which purports that, to truly scare an audience, filmmaking must embrace the constructed illusion of reality (the brilliance of Man Bites Dog has become a simulacrum, its Baudrillardian undertones neglected by the rote repetitiveness of Cloverfield and Paramornal Activity). In a move that seems iconoclastic in the Whedon era, The House of the Devil doesn't…

• Aidan

★★★★ Watched by Aidan 31 Oct, 2015

Really liked this. The look was perfect. The pacing. Pretty much everything about it was super.

• Paul Reese

★★★★ Added by Paul Reese

While most are too damn eager to sing praises for Ti West on making "The House of the Devil" feel like a film freshly re-discovered from the 1980s, it seems not often brought up how refreshingly well-developed the emotional dilemma of its lead character is brought forth. Yes, the film is deeply suspenseful and blows into a finale of terrifyingly graphic terror, but the fact that so much time has been taken to develop the story of a girl trapped…

• Michael Keene

★★★★ Watched by Michael Keene 15 Nov, 2015

The House of the Devil is similar to Kill List in a lot of ways, so much so that if you enjoy super slow burn occult horror flicks, they would make for a great double feature. However, where Kill List implements a very vague approach to the proceedings that most critics mistook for brilliance, here is a film that is simple and unburdened by too many unseen plot points.

Also similar to Kill List is the backlash to the third…

• Ian Loring

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Loring 31 Oct, 2015

One of my favourite horrors of the last decade. Off-kilter and uncomfortable dialogue gives way to quiet tension which then gives way to madness. It's great and by far the best thing Ti West has done up to this point.

• mjnania

★★★½ Watched by mjnania 29 Oct, 2015

Impressive recreation of '70s horror. Stupendous in that regard, which is enough to overcome the super thin plot and lack of suspense, which is particularly lacking in the climax as the tone defies what came before. Still, been thinking about this one for days as its construction is truly fascinating.

• TimeParadox

★★★ Watched by TimeParadox 06 Nov, 2015

I can see myself going a bit higher on the rating after some reflection, but I agree with another reviewer who said the movie felt essentially like a proof of concept. Nothing was as fully-realized as it could have been.

There are about two or three moments in the film that are absolute 5-star moments, but otherwise I think the film misstepped quite a bit.

• Alice Byford

★★★★★ Rewatched by Alice Byford 06 Nov, 2015 4

Originally published: blogvodfilm.wordpress.com/
    Ti West’s The House of the Devil is a homage to those old eighties horror films back when “satanic panic” was in it’s prime, and this movie really plays on the idea. It’s a slow burn but stylistically it’s great and when we take the real turn into horror this movie really pays off. I would recommend this film to anyone, but I’d call it a must watch if you’re a fan of older horror films.

• Evan Daniels

★★★★ Rewatched by Evan Daniels 30 Oct, 2015

A blissfully horrifying film with an astounding amount of well-crafted tension. As is the problem with most horror movies, once you reach the climax it's hard to keep the movie perpetually scary. In other words, once you see the pentagram on the floor, the gig is up and the audience can rest. And while that is the case here, Ti West recovers quickly and finishes the movie with a powerful punch.

I love this movie. So much.

• bashfoal

★★½ Watched by bashfoal 03 Nov, 2015

I really want to love this movie. The time period is so tactile and believable, I want to crawl in and live there for a day... but the story feels as though it lasts ten minutes. It feels like the build-up to a slasher and the ending stings irresolutely like anything potentially ending the world. I loved the casting, but there just isn't ENOUGH OF IT. It feels like a proof-of-concept. Where's the rest of the movie?

• Greg Boyd

★★★★½ Rewatched by Greg Boyd 01 Nov, 2015

If this movie didn't feel the need to throw in that ludicrous, unnecessary final scene, it might be one of my favorite horror films ever. As is, it's still one of my favorites of the last ten years or so. I love how witty and self-aware it is; not only does Ti West's script contain numerous creepy (and delightfully unsubtle) double meanings, but there are also some wonderful visual jokes that play on our…

• Kyle Porter

★★★★ Rewatched by Kyle Porter 30 Oct, 2015

I, uh... I think this is one of the best horror movies of the last ten years. It really does feel like it could have been made in the late 70's or early 80's. The performances are great, the suspense is overwhelming, and the overall feel is utterly creepy. A lot of people call it boring or slow... I call it suspenseful and unnerving. A great film to watch around Halloween.