• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Charchuk 10 Jan, 2010

A pretty interesting throwback, even if the climax is a bit of a letdown. That said, it's a masterclass in suspense and tension and all of those other Hitchcockian terms. It's also admirably restrained and subtle for a horror film these days, even as it uses gore to its utmost shocking and aesthetic end.

Plus Donahue, while remaining pretty cute, does a pretty good job balancing the light (her Walkman-induced dance through the house) and dark (covered in blood and…

• Andrew Rolfe

★★★★ Watched by Andrew Rolfe 15 Apr, 2014

I don't agree with Sam's stay-alone-at-a-spooky-house policy, but I do agree with her eat-nothing-but-pizza policy

• Eugene McCrann

★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

The film implies that scrupulous retrospection is irreproachable because it propagates trenchant reflexivity. But why is the presentment of former trendiness - that most of us now recognize as campy, cheesy and unusually boring - such a noble position? I can't seem to understand the answer. The House of the Devil's unhurried approach allows us to acquaint ourselves with the few main players - all of whom are horribly bland except the menacing Tom Noonan - but the slow burn…

• David Jenkins

★★★★ Watched by David Jenkins 12 Apr, 2014 4

A creepy and effective slow burn horror film. When it first started I thought things looked a bit cheap and nasty considering the film is only a few years old. That initial assessment however was wiped away when the opening credits began and I knew exactly what I was in for. Director Ti West has created a horror film that is firmly rooted back in the 80s. He seems to have aimed to recreate the magic of the horror genre…

• R. J. Daniel Hanna

★★★½ Watched by R. J. Daniel Hanna 11 Apr, 2014

Two Ti West in a day. This film also makes a strong stylistic choice, so perfectly resembling a film made in 1980 that the viewer does a double take when Greta Gerwig shows up. She must be, like, sixty if she shot this thirty years ago, right?

The first hour is a wonderfully creepy, slow-burn suspense story with a couple big shockers to raise the stakes. Some of the best work in the genre. The last thirty minutes or so feel like they're from a different movie, and the air goes out of it rather quickly. Unfortunate considering the strength of everything that came before.

• grrhinks

★★ Added by grrhinks

A leering, winking, wincing homage to 70s slasher flicks, there's an air of forgery about the whole thing which can't help but leave the audience feeling duped. There is no creeping sense of dread as in the best of the genre and while Ti West can make walking through a deserted old house at night look scary, this thing feels too much like an embryonic offshoot of everything that inspired it that it never shocks as much as it so clearly intends to.

• fearghal1986

★★★★ Added by fearghal1986

Didn't expect must from this but is great. Slow build up bit worth it

• Nick Lavigne

★★★½ Watched by Nick Lavigne 05 Apr, 2014

Ti West is certainly a force to be reckoned with in the horror genre. While other directors in horror are keeping things bloody, West refuses to stick to the status quo, making suspense his top priority in scaring the hell out of the audience. He also knows how to use gore the right way: minimally and realistically. Known for some straight-to-video B-grade work, West finally cracked the A-list of horror with "The House of the Devil," his 2009 effort that…

• johnch

★★★★ Watched by johnch 02 Apr, 2014

Atmospheric, scary and for the most part chilling spin on "teenage baby-sitter" horror movies.

• KerryMaxwell

★★★ Watched by KerryMaxwell 03 Apr, 2014

Ti West gets a lot right with The House of the Devil: mood, cast, 80's period details, location. But as with The Innkeepers, there was a bit of disappointment for me in the end. It's obvious West has a lot of love and devotion to the genre, but I wish he'd put just a bit more of what's in his head on the screen, and flesh out (no pun intended) his stories instead of relying on old houses to carry the film.

• Devon Wells

★★★★ Watched by Devon Wells 02 Apr, 2014

The best '70s horror you've never seen, 'cause it was made in 2009. Mumblegore Omen/Halloween mash-up entertains for ages.

• DaNiedabaya

★★★½ Watched by DaNiedabaya 02 Apr, 2014

One of those rare occasions where a movie managed to genuinely freak me out. I was watching the damn thing with the lights on and still was scared shitless.

And I'm probably in a minority here but after seeing Greta Gerwig in this and Frances Ha I still think she's a horrible, horrible actress.