• Chris Vallée

★★★★ Watched by Chris Vallée 24 May, 2015

A chilling horror that expertly managers to build extreme tension and terror without revealing nearly anything until the final act when it explodes into a crazy satanic nightmare. The vintage 80's tone throughout was perfectly executed, down to the wide zooms and cheesy freeze frames, which made the film a feel like a long lost classic.

• GERALD

★★★ Watched by GERALD 23 May, 2015

When "The House of the Devil" appeared on the suggested movies on my Netflix account I decided to give it chance, I wasn't expecting much from this movie knowing that it was a Ti West film, but I gotta tell ya this movie surprised me.

The story of the movie I thought it was interesting although it takes a long time to get to the good stuff. "The House of the Devil" is a pretty slow paced movie and I…

• Amelia

★★ Watched by Amelia 24 May, 2015

I decided to watch this film after reading Playlist's list of the 25 best horror films of the 21st century so far (blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the-25-best-horror-films-of-the-21st-century-so-far-20141030). I don't understand how this film made the cut as it wasn't scary or visceral in any way. I actually think horror movies don't have to be scary but they should at least make you feel SOMETHING and this film just bored me. I kept waiting for something to happen but it was all suspense with no pay-off. You are better off watching It Follows if you want a film that pays homage to John Carpenter while still being unique and anxiety-inducing.

• Noetic Hatter

★★★★ Rewatched by Noetic Hatter 21 May, 2015 2

Watched bluray commentary with director West and star Donahue.

Not a lot of fascinating insights here. Donahue is quite dull. Plus, she says "Rad" a lot.

• Joe

★★★★★ Rewatched by Joe 19 May, 2015

This movie demonstrates how one thing leads to another.

• Courtney Cheshire

★★★★ Watched by Courtney Cheshire 17 May, 2015 2

Pretty good! I really admire how well this used slow burning build up, it prevented it from getting too cheesy when the cult stuff finally started. The acting was good, especially when horror can have cheap acting. The direction and cinematography was very raw, but showed a lot that was seen in West's later films as he grew and learned. Definitely worth the watch.

• Noetic Hatter

★★★★ Watched by Noetic Hatter 16 May, 2015

Jocelin Donahue reminds me of the young Jennifer Beals, though with 2002!Beals straighter hair.

Also, she looks amazing in 80's jeans, especially while dancing to The Fixx songs.

Did you know that you can buy this movie officially released on VHS?

I am actively considering it.

• Thariq Fauzan

★★★★ Added by Thariq Fauzan

An 80's vibe slow burn horror flick. From the acting, scoring, script, cinematography, and the plot, it's what 80's horror fans will like.

• Chris Vaughan

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Vaughan 14 May, 2015

I love the look and feel of this film. It's made to be from the 80's and for once that works.
    The music is great, the atmosphere is creepy and very 80's and the ending is classic Ti West stuff.
    I really like this film.

• Travis Cooper

★★★½ Watched by Travis Cooper 13 May, 2015

Film 133 of Project365, a project in which I watch a new film every day for a year.

Shot with a retro vibe and given a classic horro film treatment, House of the Devil shows that good horror is not all glitz and glamor, but rather a solid yet simple story meant to terrify your bones.

• Bravistickle

★★ Watched by Bravistickle 14 May, 2015

The rating I've gave this is generous. 75 minutes of a girl doing absolutely nothing and after that,10 minutes of action. Forward the film to 70 mins and watch from there,You will pick up the story from that and get the only good bit of the film.Then you do something good with the time you would of lost.

• Jas

★★★ Watched by Jas 13 May, 2015

This gets all these insane rave reviews and idk why because you are literally just watching an early 80s film that happened to be made in 2009. It's fine, but it's not some earth-shattering experience for fans of the horror genre.

I did have to look it up on my phone twice, once to see if amazon prime had fucked up and put the wrong year, and a second time to see if there was a remake and we were…