• giamarie23

★★★★½ Watched by giamarie23 11 Apr, 2014

THRILLING!!! But the reckless attitude of the leader got to my nerves..

• Carlyus Almeida

★★★★ Added by Carlyus Almeida

The Hurt Locker (2008) - 8

A film that portrays the precarious existence of a little Explosive Ordnance Disposal team in the Iraq war. Very well directed, excellent acting. Intelligent, thrilling and very raw (in all aspects) from beginning to end. It manages, in an interesting way, to lay bare how insignificant and vain can be the motivations that lead someone to submit itself to the distress of warfare. I'll have to watch this movie again as I feel that…

• Keith LaFountaine

★★½ Added by Keith LaFountaine

There is a poetic story which deserves to be applauded, but the film itself suffers from bad pacing and obvious plot holes.

• Daryl Purdie

★★★★ Watched by Daryl Purdie 30 Mar, 2014

#Filmreview The Hurt Locker ★★★★ Taut, military thriller feels real & shows how gung-ho adrenaline rush soldiering impacts on all the cast.

• monte75

★★★½ Added by monte75

The movie is a piece well-filmed, tense vignettes. The ending (which I won't spoil here) is strong. I've read that the characters were meant to be shells that you could fill in with your own family/friends that have/are serving in Iraq/Afghanistan. I think that this detracted from the movie as a whole. However, I would recommend seeing it -- a strong piece of film-making.

• TheRantAsArt

★½ Watched by TheRantAsArt 26 Mar, 2014

THIS won Oscars for directing, writing, & best picture?! Wow.

Jeremy Renner did a solid job with his role, but something tells me he deserves as much credit as Kathryn Bigelow for that. And it's a shame his talent is mostly wasted in this film. Some of the action sequences are well done, but after watching an interview with Bigelow, I have a feeling that the film's Pentagon advisers & stunt coordinator(s) are responsible for that. The drama between the action is…

• Dave

★★★★★ Added by Dave

It is Hollywood’s pick as the best film of 2009, and it’s a damned good choice. A tense, engaging thriller about a bomb-disposal unit in Iraq that is refreshingly apolitical and urgent. The cast is tops, the direction is assured and smart, and the film works as both a commentary of the fragile, emotional state of soldiers at war as well as a kinetic popcorn action picture.

• MasterRick

★★★★½ Rewatched by MasterRick 09 Aug, 2012

Kathryn Bigelow has always been a very visceral director (the action scenes from Point Break and the “playback” sequences in Strange Days are proof of this), and nowhere has she used this characteristic as well as in The Hurt Locker. Instead of trying to make a political statement about the Iraq War as a lot of recent war films have allegedly tried to do, she puts us in the feet of a bomb disposal team working through their daily routine.…

• Steve Moyle

★★★★★ Added by Steve Moyle

I love how this film can make the audience feel uneasy and in suspense throughout, it works so well actually that I found this film distracting and hard to watch the first time around. The shaky cam direction makes the film feel so real, it's almost like we are watching real footage. The performances were great, I loved the massive amount of cameo's. The chemistry between the three main characters was the stand out, the intensity of the explosion scenes were a breath of fresh air.

• Jessica

★★½ Watched by Jessica 20 Mar, 2014

hm hm hmm. Kinda weak? Best picture worthy? Probably not. My love for Jeremy Renner still remains, he was great in this! This guy needs to be in better films and given some more lead roles, I love this dude. Back to the film, I'm not sure what to think it's just alrighttt. I liked the last 15 minutes, which was very true to character. I'm glad a female director won in all but I just don't love the direction of this movie.

• robert_holly

★★★ Added by robert_holly

Has its moments for sure.

• kylegarvey

★★★ Added by kylegarvey

THE HURT LOCKER's immediate on-the-ground action is preternaturally tense: a recipe for a nearly perfect war movie. And Bigelow's film does seem to perfectly capture the ugly, unforgiving psychosis of the Iraq war; but at what narrative cost? I appreciate the ambiguity of the whole thing (matching the messed-up, awful, unwinnable conflict itself) but can't really see a sensible story in it.