• Dave

★★★★½ Rewatched by Dave 24 Jan, 2015

After watching American Sniper, I felt the need to revisit this gem which I feel does everything and more better than the latest from Clint Eastwood.

What takes Sniper basically the whole movie to do, Locker does it way better in just one scene. The addition of PTSD towards the end for Jeremy Renner's character was just brilliant. Not clunky, watching Bradley Cooper hearing things that aren't there.

I could rewatch this over and over again. While with Sniper, I'm one and done.

• Nick Silvia

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nick Silvia 24 Jan, 2015

I needed to get American Sniper out of my mind.

Thankfully, we have The Hurt Locker.

• Luke McGowan

★★★★½ Rewatched by Luke McGowan 09 Jan, 2015

The Hurt Locker masterfully weaves between stunningly authentic and heart stoppingly tense situations that are bolstered to near perfection by Bigelows assured direction and powerful performances from Renner and Mackie.

• Daniel O'Raw

★★★★★ Watched by Daniel O'Raw 22 Jan, 2015 3

I've been wanting to re-watch this since I saw American Sniper and I wanted to remind myself of an Iraq war film done well. It's a film that manages to show the horrors and effects of war but also manages to be utterly gripping and thrilling, something American Sniper didn't achieve. It's brilliantly directed and it feels constantly intense and seeks to entertain while also trying to have a certain sense of realism where it doesn't always succeed but it…

• Jason MD-P

★★★★ Added by Jason MD-P

Skillfully shot and told. Reminds me of Vietnam films of equal caliber like Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket (it's episodic like FMJ). Not a linear narrative per se, but a story about soldiers and what makes them and breaks them.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★★ Rewatched by Joe DiCanio 19 Jan, 2015

Rating: B+

• Stefan Griens

★★★★ Rewatched by Stefan Griens 15 Dec, 2014

War drama about a bomb squad. There is a real good mix between the tension of war and the boredom of waiting or war and how those extremes enhance each other. Plus the grittiness of the terrain shows in the way it was filmed gives it such a natural feel, making you experience all of those emotions yourself.

• jdue

★★★★ Rewatched by jdue 18 Jan, 2015

"How do you do it, take the risk?"

This is everything I think American sniper wanted to be and should have been, it tells a personal story while closely reflecting on the relationship between men and war. It doesn't take some sort of political stance on this war, it approaches the material with objectivity and let's the war unfold through the eyes of the soldiers who fight it.

• Justine Guzman

★★★★ Watched by Justine Guzman 13 Jan, 2015

Very interesting subject matter and I really liked the psychological/ptsd aspects of the film. Very little nitpick: I enjoyed the handheld camera work, which kept in line with the subject matter BUT every once in a while, there would be a kinda amateurish, documentary film student-like movement of the camera (fast zooms) that actually took me out of the film.

• jonbonraki

★★★★½ Rewatched by jonbonraki 04 Jan, 2015

Kathryn Bigleow has always been on my commendable directors list with the realistic tone to her movies, and kind of stories she chooses to translate movie, she has always moved with perfection.

The hurt locker to me was attitude and internal struggle a bomb squad can put up to survive the severity of war, Jeremey Renner was bomb defuser with 876 defused bombs on his name, the odd guy attitude , how he gets through the perils of his job…

• Bruno Rubio Anthony Brennan

★★★★½ Watched by Bruno Rubio Anthony Brennan 03 Jan, 2015

Liked the original name better: "The Falcon & Hawkeye Super Team-Up All-Star Special"

• Daniel Mumby

★★★½ Added by Daniel Mumby

The Academy has an annoying habit of giving out awards to films which don't really deserve them, in a desperate attempt to cover its past mistakes. When Sean Penn won the Best Actor award for Milk, there was a sense of the Academy atoning for snubbing Brokeback Mountain (with the usual excuse that Hollywood "just wasn't ready" for Ang Lee's film). Similarly, The Hurt Locker's victory in the Best Picture category was as much about rewarding the film's merits as…