• Brandon McGee

★★★½ Added by Brandon McGee

Expertly directed and incredibly, The Hurt Locker's occasional pacing issues and mixed-message ending only just get in the way of this visceral war film.

• Courtney Cheshire

★★★★ Watched by Courtney Cheshire 03 Jul, 2015

Is this a good film? Yes. Is it exactly what I expected? Yes. The Hurt Locker is a well oiled machine of a movie (which is exactly why Bigelow got her well deserved best director win). The performances are good, it looks good, the battle scene are engaging, but it's not really anything new or special.

• Damen

★★★½ Added by Damen

A very good modern war film. I love the fact Ministry is on the soundtrack. My only beef with the film is the sniper scene. One of the better studio films from the last decade.

• jake340

★★★★ Added by jake340

Not best picture worthy but it was very good.

• Banners

★★★½ Watched by Banners 26 Jun, 2015

'Going to war is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It could be fun.'

Where are all the films about the Iraq War?

Someone asked me this once, and I didn't really have an answer for him. But having seen The Hurt Locker, I don't understand what his problem is. The Hurt Locker has action, has explosions, has fighting, but like all good war films, it is about the effects of war, and about the people involved. It is a modern update on…

• Bim

★★★★½ Watched by Bim 24 May, 2015

I don't really watch war movies, but watched this one because of Renner and damn son. I got so obsessed with it I ended up watching it 4 times in 3 weeks. No shame.
    I just fall in love with the character so much. There's something about him being so rackless and addicted to war and him not knowing how to function out of war that makes me go ughh. I could watch this 100 more times tbh. I'm so…

• Alan Jarvis

★★★★ Watched by Alan Jarvis 25 Jun, 2015

Perhaps ironic that the first woman to win an Oscar should get it for such an intensely male film (maybe two women have speaking parts, and then for seconds). Difficult to deny the amount of craft involved: intensely claustrophobic and tense. Its a worm's eye view - that of the average soldier - the context is not explained its just utterly bewildering. Apocalypse now?

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Prankerd 20 Jun, 2015

A different point of view from most war films gives The Hurt Locker a range and angle which overcomes a lot of the genre's staples. Jeremy Renner excels as a sort of Clint Eastwood/John Wayne character dropped into a realistic backdrop, with the price of his selfish heroism and lust for danger starkly spelt out.

• cakefactory

★★★ Rewatched by cakefactory 20 Jun, 2015

I can't say I enjoyed this the second time, I sorta wondered what I'd seen in it the first time. It has some individual scenes of great tension and power, but ultimately just seems to add up to a big nothing. I'm probably in the wrong on this one given how much of a critical darling it is, but ugh. Maybe part of it is just being so sick of Jeremy Renner's little leprechaun face from him being cast in what feels like every action movie made in the last 7 years.

• JerrysGold

★★★★ Watched by JerrysGold 22 May, 2014

The Hurt Locker is a nail biting war movie. It almost gave Mr a heart attack on numerous occasions. The Hurt Locker shows us an unflinching look at war and what it does to people. Like it said in the beginning war is a drug. And this movie shows us this. Jeremy Renner gave what I think is his best performance as a war addicted bomb specialist. He is as unafraid of death as they come. If anything he wants…

• Joseph Henderson

★★★★ Rewatched by Joseph Henderson 15 Jun, 2015

Loses its majesty on repeat viewing. Didn't notice it being so 'America, fuck yeah!' before...

Still. Bigelow is a fine director, even if the content is ideologically over persuasive.

• Dan Doherty

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Doherty 18 Jun, 2015

Jeremy Renner is incredible.