• matthewmarkham

Added by matthewmarkham

Great Afghanistan war film.

• Conan Tan

★★★ Watched by Conan Tan 04 Apr, 2015

I am honestly bored of this movie.

• Kikuchisawa

★★★ Watched by Kikuchisawa 31 Aug, 2015

Aside from a few intense sequences, this war film isn't really much to rave about.

• Haydn Elmore

★★ Watched by Haydn Elmore 22 Jun, 2015

In all honesty, I thought this movie is very overrated.
    I mean it's not in the words awful because it does some good directing, solid performances and does bring some tension.
    But in terms of telling a good story, complex characters, and actually put in some realism of the soldiers who goes into war, it all seems to play of very flat and uneven with the outcome.
    Again it's not the worst, but it's clearly overrated.
    4.5/10 (D+)

• pgswi

★★½ Watched by pgswi 13 Aug, 2015

Pretty aimless until the very end. Then I got it. Not a bad movie, but how did this beat out Inglourious Basterds for best original screenplay??

• Justin Jagoe

★★★★½ Rewatched by Justin Jagoe 27 Aug, 2015 1

5+ years later, it still feels odd to call this a Best Picture winner. That's not to speak ill of The Hurt Locker in any way; rather, it's to sing the praises of the Academy for such a refreshing change of pace. It seems odd that such a voting body would give awards for something this compact in scope (unlike, say, Return of the King, this narratively focused (unlike Birdman), this ambivalent in meaning (unlike Argo). Who knows, maybe the…

• nrbeaton

★★★★ Watched by nrbeaton 21 Feb, 2010

Fantastic film. Very intense, it draws you in and leaves you breathless. Renner and Mackie are outstanding.

• VictorD

★★★½ Watched by VictorD 24 Aug, 2015

Whoa there Rotten Tomatoes, 98%? A guy diffuses some bombs and smokes some cigarettes and develops a few average relationships with a few guys. It's intense because of the bombs & stuff, and it's exciting to watch.

• Bryan Parrill

★★★★★ Rewatched by Bryan Parrill 26 Aug, 2015

This movie stresses me out.

• Chris Galegar

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Galegar 24 Aug, 2015

The silence throughout is so powerful. Hardly a moment of swelling score or pestering underscore to get in the way of just how immediate James's mortality is. ...Then an epic rock anthem undermines everything. Credits roll.

I hate when a great film is accused of being awful solely because someone dislikes the conclusion, but it does feel like this was ripped from a completely different film.

With the exception of that final scene I loved it all more the second time around.

• Rick

★★★★ Watched by Rick 24 Aug, 2015

Intense, bro.

• Haikal_F

★★★★ Rewatched by Haikal_F 24 Aug, 2015

The Hurt Locker follows the exploits of a bomb disposal unit in the last days of their tour in Iraq. Told through a series of tense setpieces out in the field, that are interspersed with scenes of bonding back at the base, it tries to capture the drudgery and repetitive nature of war. Each action sequence is different, though most involve the defusing of explosives, which is an inherently dramatic activity. The performances are really good, specifically Renner and Mackie…