• Chris Stanton

★★★★ Rewatched by Chris Stanton 26 Sep, 2014

The Ice Storm clearly has some of the best costume design and art direction ever, not to mention solid performances (Adam Hann-Byrd and Elijah Wood were my favorites) and an absolutely devastating ending. The storm itself is beautifully realized and the film is worth seeing for it alone. Ang Lee has shown he's proficient in any genre he takes on.

• Samuel

★★★½ Watched by Samuel 24 Sep, 2014

The Ice Storm is really great till the final act which got way too melodramatic. To me it felt like the writer just thought "Uhh, it's the final act, something dramatic should happen, right?" and almost ruined the movie completely for me. It's too bad because until the last 15 minutes this is very well directed and written. Ang Lee has HUGE range as a director.

• Matthew Vallée

★★★ Watched by Matthew Vallée 13 Sep, 2014

This film was beautifully shot with cinematography that gave it an almost haunting quality which made it feel like a quiet thriller without actually being a thriller. The atmospheric setting was the perfect backdrop for the intertwining stories of two dysfunctional families. All of the secrets happening behind closed doors made the story quite captivating. While each character was only given a little screen time all of the performances were excellent and together each story arc worked to form a very intriguing drama.

• Jack Cox

★★★½ Watched by Jack Cox 19 Sep, 2014

Let's get the obvious out of the way about the Ice Storm, this is a stunningly beautiful film. Frederick Elmes, erstwhile collaborator with David Lynch beautifully photographs and lights this film. The Costume Design by Carol Oditz really captures the period perfectly. Mark Friedberg does a terrific job with the Production Design along with Bob Shaw and Stephanie Carol as the Art Director and Set Decorator. When I was watching this movie I thought some of the design screamed Mad…

• Adam Cadre

★★ Rewatched by Adam Cadre 24 May, 2010

• Sebastian Gronback

★★★½ Watched by Sebastian Gronback 13 Sep, 2014

One of the many pieces in the kaleidoscopic career of Ang Lee, who seemingly has the goal to direct a film in every genre, The Ice Storm is another entry into the suburban family dramas that were so popular during the late 90's and early 2000's. This one takes place in a quiet Connecticut town in the 1970's, amidst a growing wave of cautious yet desperate liberation, and focuses on two families caught in the everchanging times. The cast here…

• Kevin Jacobsen

★★★ Watched by Kevin Jacobsen 13 Sep, 2014

The titular ice storm featured in the film is very impressive. The special effects, for 1997, truly hold up today. And Sigourney Weaver truly uses her 'Alien' experience to her benefit as she heroically battles the elements. C+

• Eugene McCrann

★★½ Watched by Eugene McCrann 31 Aug, 2014

An inferior drama would surely conclude the Paul / Libbets thread with some type of date rape, and it would probably harness Weaver’s aggression into some public, belittling speech. Suburban dysfunction films are rigged to clank you over the head with predictable aberrant behavior so the fact that this harbors Lee’s even-tempered approach, plus a sincere sadness - versus the sardonic fuck-off tone of something like American Beauty - is appreciable, but it’s also too sincere, comparing family to the…

• Tim Ehrens

★★★½ Rewatched by Tim Ehrens 26 Aug, 2014

"Your family is the void you emerge from, and the place you return to when you die."

Such a sad, heartbreaking film. I don't really have too much to say about it, just the fact that I saw it when it came out at too young an age and just revisited it and that it's a well-acted, superbly directed little film.

I love Ang Lee's directing style. His camera moves beautifully and he captures amazing visuals all the way through…

• Julia Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Julia Ryan 23 Aug, 2014

Devastating, and beautiful.

• firelordazulas

½ Watched by firelordazulas 11 Aug, 2014

Were 70's kids rly that fucked up God save us all. Also I spent the last half wandering whether Frodo or Spiderman was gonna die which I guess is fun or smth.

• Stribit

★★★ Watched by Stribit 11 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.