• Tim Ehrens

★★★½ Rewatched by Tim Ehrens 26 Aug, 2014

"Your family is the void you emerge from, and the place you return to when you die."

Such a sad, heartbreaking film. I don't really have too much to say about it, just the fact that I saw it when it came out at too young an age and just revisited it and that it's a well-acted, superbly directed little film.

I love Ang Lee's directing style. His camera moves beautifully and he captures amazing visuals all the way through…

• Julia Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Julia Ryan 23 Aug, 2014

Devastating, and beautiful.

• firelordazulas

½ Watched by firelordazulas 11 Aug, 2014

Were 70's kids rly that fucked up God save us all. Also I spent the last half wandering whether Frodo or Spiderman was gonna die which I guess is fun or smth.

• Stribit

★★★ Watched by Stribit 11 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Roy-Petter K. Johansen

★★★★★ Rewatched by Roy-Petter K. Johansen 08 Aug, 2014

"The Ice Storm looks like the best American film of the nineties", Bill Krohn writes in his essay accompanying the Criterion release of the film (recently out on blu-ray, 7 years after the initial dvd-release). Not only the best of the nineties, If you ask me. The Ice Storm is easily one of the best American films of the last 25 years.

• Sean

★★★★ Added by Sean

The sexual energy running rampant in this film is executed masterfully. Really fantastic piece of storytelling with great performances all around, especially Kevin Kline, Joan Allen, and Christina Ricci.

• TheMovieVampire

★★★★½ Rewatched by TheMovieVampire 27 Jul, 2014

Revolutions are almost always messy business, and The Ice Storm argues that this was also true of the sexual revolution. The film’s characters are living in the aftermath of the 60s and are trying to participate in the new norms but aren’t entirely comfortable with them and don’t quite understand where “the line” is supposed to be anymore. In a sense this suggests that “free love” isn’t really liberating for everyone and can in fact be rather alienating in practice.…

• SJHoneywell

★★★½ Added by SJHoneywell

A film to respect
    But impossible to like.
    Well made, depressing.

• Gavin Sanders

★★★★½ Watched by Gavin Sanders 11 Jul, 2014

The Ice Storm moved me on an emotional level, which is something that Ang Lee films rarely do to me. The cast is phenomenal, the direction is superb, and the writing is top notch. What makes this movie so good though is the characters and the story. Everything that happens actually has an effect on the overall story going on, making this a really strong film. I was deeply touched, and I have few problems with The Ice Storm. Highly recommended.

• Bobby Analog

★★★ Watched by Bobby Analog 20 Jul, 2014 2

Before 'American Beauty,' Alan Ball and Sam Mendes saw this film, and said, "lets make a version of this movie that doesn't hold up over time."

• Pratyushkh

½ Watched by Pratyushkh 19 Jul, 2014

Such a boring movie. I didn't care about any of the characters. I also found the characters undifferentiable from each other.

Like in 'Life of Pi', Ang Lee shows a story and talks about a concept - god in Pi, family in 'The Ice Storm'. I do not like the style of film making either - there are a lot of dialogues and the plot moves slowly.

• AndrewJS

★★★★★ Watched by AndrewJS 13 Jul, 2014

Despite how melodramatic the plot is on the surface, it's the subtle moments of the film that are most moving, and make Lee's direction so beautiful.