• airolg

★★★★ Added by airolg

To me it seems like the inspiration for American beauty. A lot of the same character traits and themes line up. Both is about bored suburban families dealing with issues about love and sex.

I could write a 2-page analysis comparing the two, but I'm lazy.
    I found a link to a very thorough comparison here:

(((SPOILER ALERT- do not reach the bottom half of the page)))
    cla.calpoly.edu/cla/legacies/rsimon/rsimonsite/hum410/IceSAmeBchart.htm

Also, it has Tobey Maguire, chick who played Wednesday Adams, and Elijah Wood in it so you know it's good.

• theactualjase

★★★★★ Watched by theactualjase 21 Feb, 2015

This is a stunning film about the icy (see what I did there) relationships between husbands and wives, sons and daughters, and friends. I was so so impressed by Joan Allen - I remember being blown away by her performance in Pleasantville and this performance is just as good, if not better as a housewife dealing with the realisation that her husband is having an affair. Kevin Kline is incredible as the husband also. It's such a beautiful looking film…

• Filmmad

★★½ Watched by Filmmad 07 Jan, 2015

Inconsistent drama starring Sigourney Weaver. Starts and finishes well.

• pretzelhearts

★★★★★ Added by pretzelhearts

• Kurt Fabisch

★★★★½ Watched by Kurt Fabisch 13 Feb, 2015

Watched The Ice Storm for the first time

I thought it was great!

Such a great cast in this thing. Sigourney Weaver, maybe my favourite non-Ripley performance of hers.

Kevin Kline I thought was VERY good as he tends to be. I wish he was in way more movies as good as this.

Ang Lee never ceases to amaze me, the variety of movies he makes.

I was shocked how funny it was in parts. It's a dark movie and…

• Justin Swanson

★★★ Watched by Justin Swanson 11 Feb, 2015

Well that was depressing.

• Danielle McCallion

★★½ Watched by Danielle McCallion 09 Feb, 2015

"Libbets? What sort of a name is Libbets?"

• James Reynov

★★★★★ Watched by James Reynov 05 Feb, 2015

Wow, what a movie. What it essentially does in the first hour is set up all its pieces, like a row of dominoes, and then for the second half just knocks it down, but that lasts an hour and just builds its tension through that. Also this easily has one of the best scenes I've seen in a film for awhile, which involves a certain character and a Richard Nixon mask that makes the film worth the watch just for…

• veronica

★★★★★ Added by veronica

Quintessential 90s with a wonderful ensemble cast. One of my very favorite films.

• aProtagonist

★★★★ Added by aProtagonist

technically excellent in every aspect, but fails to manage its web of interconnected plots or develop any of its characters; the result is a beautiful husk of a tragedy that says much but reveals little

• Michael Matthews

★★½ Added by Michael Matthews

Really compelling but very ending makes us realize how little room there is for nuance in a film that wants to be liked but depicts unlikable, shallow characters. Great director/producer(s). Not a great film.

• Dave

★★★★★ Added by Dave

I'm always weary of picking a single film out as my favorite of all time. I just don't find that process fair. However, if I were pressed to quickly think of a particular movie that would come close to nabbing that prestigious title, "The Ice Storm" is it.

Everything about it is perfect.

The editing: Not a single shot in this film does not belong here. The story flows seamlessly.

The score: So melancholy, tearful, and genuine. Oh, that flute…