• Gavin Sanders

★★★★½ Watched by Gavin Sanders 11 Jul, 2014

The Ice Storm moved me on an emotional level, which is something that Ang Lee films rarely do to me. The cast is phenomenal, the direction is superb, and the writing is top notch. What makes this movie so good though is the characters and the story. Everything that happens actually has an effect on the overall story going on, making this a really strong film. I was deeply touched, and I have few problems with The Ice Storm. Highly recommended.

• Bobby Analog

★★★ Watched by Bobby Analog 20 Jul, 2014 2

Before 'American Beauty,' Alan Ball and Sam Mendes saw this film, and said, "lets make a version of this movie that doesn't hold up over time."

• Pratyushkh

½ Watched by Pratyushkh 19 Jul, 2014

Such a boring movie. I didn't care about any of the characters. I also found the characters undifferentiable from each other.

Like in 'Life of Pi', Ang Lee shows a story and talks about a concept - god in Pi, family in 'The Ice Storm'. I do not like the style of film making either - there are a lot of dialogues and the plot moves slowly.

• AndrewJS

★★★★★ Watched by AndrewJS 13 Jul, 2014

Despite how melodramatic the plot is on the surface, it's the subtle moments of the film that are most moving, and make Lee's direction so beautiful.

• Cinemaddict

★★½ Watched by Cinemaddict 14 Jul, 2014

I see where they were going in The Ice Storm, and usually this is a movie I go for, especially with Ang Lee directing, but I think he only partially succeeds. The acting was very good on all sides, and there are some great sequences, especially some nice shots of the ice covered tree branches clinking together like wind chimes, or when Elijah Wood is sliding on his back down the middle of the street like he's a luge runner.…

• Cole Bradley

★★½ Watched by Cole Bradley 29 Mar, 2014

Week 53 in my Criterion a Week Project: Spine #426

Ang Lee isn't a subtle director. Which isn't in and of itself a bad thing, but he thinks he is. He makes these blunt, obvious movies about quiet heady themes and he doesn't bring anywhere near the level of restraint or depth needed to make his films work.

The Ice Storm came out in 1997, twelve years after the release of the all time greatest deconstruction of the suburban dream…

• Sea Lucas

★★★★★ Watched by Sea Lucas 11 Jul, 2014

For my two cents, The Ice Storm remains Ang Lee's best work and is also one of the top films of the 90s. That being said, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes this film so brilliant. The cast is excellent and the performances are top-notch, but it is much more than simply a well-made production. Perhaps it's only the voyeuristic appeal of watching two families on the verge of collapse, being unable to look away while knowing full well that the worst is yet to come. Whatever the case, The Ice Storm invokes a sort of heaviness that lingers with you long after viewing.

• Blots

★★★★ Watched by Blots 07 Jul, 2014

“You have messed with my shit, Charles.”

Baby's first Lee.

A visual drama that aches with authenticity. Ang Lee's directorial presence is strongly felt, and it exudes true integrity. Must revisit.

• sicksadworld

★★★ Watched by sicksadworld 06 Jul, 2014

It's good, I get it, but whatever.

• Mitch Anderson

★★★★ Watched by Mitch Anderson 03 Jul, 2014

A bummer movie of the good variety. The Ice Storm proves Ang Lee's ability to effortlessly apply himself to just about any genre or type of filmmaking. Occasionally approaching Michael Haneke levels of frigidness, The Ice Storm slightly suffers from its constant sour mood, but it knows when to move between being quiet and powerful. That finale in particular is a real punch in the gut.

• Fesapo

★★★★½ Added by Fesapo

90/100

• Jason Gacek

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Gacek 21 Jun, 2014

First viewing. Loved it. All the actors are superb, but it was Christina's Ricci's performance that stood out to me. It's really a shame that Ghost World didn't go into production in 1998; Ricci was born to play the part of Enid [Thora Birch ended up being pretty good as Enid, certainly better than expected. Ricci would have owned the part, though.] The Ice Storm was mostly ignored in 1997: zero Oscar noms and a paltry $8 million at the…