• Robert McDonald

★★★ Watched by Robert McDonald 01 Dec, 2015

I wish I connected to this more, it looks pretty & uses it's 70's setting well to it's advantage, but it just doesn't come together well for me, just left me cold. After watching this & Buffalo '66, could Christina Ricci please come back to our movies?

• Garon Cockrell

★★★★½ Watched by Garon Cockrell 26 Nov, 2015

Didn’t realize this movie took place over Thanksgiving so that was a nice fit for today. It’s definitely one of the best movies of the 90s and I am really surprised it was virtually ignored by the academy. It is chock full of superb restrained performances and every single shot is like a painting. Look at that cover art for the Criterion bluray. It’s gorgeous. An incredible cast, a wonderful, fearless script peeling back the layers of these two families and not shying away from their darkness, and perfect direction definitely make this a classic. One of my favorites.

• Matthew E. Ryan

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matthew E. Ryan 23 Nov, 2015

A holiday classic.

(I realize this is the boring snooty film snob equivalent of watching Die Hard every Christmas but this movie does the holiday thing so well as well as a ridiculously on-point deconstruction of the Fantastic Four)

• marisacarpico

★★★★ Rewatched by marisacarpico 21 Nov, 2015

Feel like this gets more inscrutable every time I watch it. The performances are great from top to bottom. Makes me sad that Ricci doesn't really work anymore.

• robert_holly

★★★½ Added by robert_holly

The cast is phenomenal as is the depiction of the era. Some character arcs aren't as strong as others.

• Shelby

★½ Watched by Shelby 17 Nov, 2015

The reason I wanted to see this film is because of the cast. Elijah Wood, Tobey Maguire, Katie Holmes, and Christina Ricci are all actors that I enjoy watching. I didn't know that this film was based on a book or really anything about it. Well, I didn't really care for it. This movie has a lot of underage drinking, drug abuse, and sexual content. I just don't like watching things like that to this extreme. It was very awkward…

• Paul Reese

★★★★½ Added by Paul Reese

Nature plays a huge part in almost all of the work Ang Lee does. That he doesn’t pander our become some kind of obnoxious environmentalist is something I have much gratitude for. The most fascinating element of "The Ice Storm" is not only in the restrained way it captures a historical American frame-of-mind beneath melodramatic stories of sexual expression - but the fact that Lee recalls history even beyond the period he is analyzing. Mychael Danna’s music score for the…

• joebacon

Watched by joebacon 28 Oct, 2015 1

Thanksgiving, 1973.

A small family gathers together to celebrate the holiday. The daughter watching TV about political scandal, the son preparing to go back home from school by getting high with his friend, a husband thinking when he can next met up with his lover, a wife losing the connection with her family and an ice storm coming to bring those lives together.

Ang Lee's The Ice Storm opens with Tobey Maguire illustrating the connection between a Marvel Fantastic Four…

• Brandon

★★★★★ Watched by Brandon 24 Oct, 2015

I have been scalped by everyone and everything that has to do with this movie.

• Murphy Kenefick

★★★★ Watched by Murphy Kenefick 22 Oct, 2015

Steadily tightening all around the main characters of two dysfunctional families, "The Ice Storm" explores people's desires and fears right on the edge of the explorative 1970's.

Great performances and wonderful direction from Ang Lee.

Good Film.

• Steven Baker

★★★★★ Rewatched by Steven Baker 17 Oct, 2015

What you don't get when you stream this film on Netflix is a wonderful interview with novelist Rick Moody about the process of adaptation #videostoreday

• Stefan Novakovic

★½ Watched by Stefan Novakovic 02 Oct, 2015

Hilariously hollow and pretentious. So much talent wasted.