• Paolo Carone

★★★★½ Added by Paolo Carone

Still the best Fantastic Four-related film.

• pirs

★★★½ Watched by pirs 11 Aug, 2015

One of those films where "there's no plot", the only focus is on character development and how two families lead their lives and interact with each other. Think movies like Magnolia and American Beauty. There's even a big final "thanks to the weather" scene. No raining frogs, though.

Ang Lee's themes and aesthetics, along with a couple of characters (mostly those played by Christina Ricci and Sigourney Weaver), are the highlight here. Set on the east US, there's remarkable detail…

• Kenneth Morefield

★★★½ Rewatched by Kenneth Morefield 31 Jul, 2015

I've always been a bit lukewarm on The Ice Storm. On a revisit, I found I liked Sigourney Weaver's character a lot better.

• Matty Stanfield

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matty Stanfield 28 Sep, 1997

Ang Lee's masterful film is almost too dark to take, but it is probably one of the most powerful examinations of American culture at a very precise moment in time you will ever see.

This film has only grown in it's power since I saw it in the cinema.

It is largely to it's credit that I always have a hard time articulating an opinion about it.

There is something in this examination of the early 1970's that feels a…

• Emily C

★★★★★ Added by Emily C

This film is so intertwined with my personal history-- with my love of movies in general-- that there's no way I can give a reasonable review of it. This was the first movie I watched that hinted there was a poetic and humanistic world within films that I could fall into-- that films had the potential to communicate something profound.

I take issue with the description of Wendy Hood as a "young, budding nymphomaniac." Really?? Sexually exploratory, yes-- not unlike her father (or the "not averse to wife-swapping" crowd that makes up this affluent community.) I call foul.

• Cameren Lee

Watched by Cameren Lee 28 Jul, 2015

And the award for least sex-talk proficient father of cinematic 1997 goes to...

• Taylor Gilbert

★★★★ Watched by Taylor Gilbert 20 Jul, 2015

Ang Lee shows an impressive control over the ensemble cast, every performance hitting a high note. The story is scattered in various locations following a separated family come to terms with their situations.

The narration and dialogue is excellent, and the characters are all engaging and real.

• Rosp

★★½ Added by Rosp

Nota = 4,5

• Tim Lawrence

★★★★★ Watched by Tim Lawrence 08 Jul, 2015

Lee's understated direction is perfect for this quietly devastating (and at times, hilariously scathing) critique of a culture in ruins.

• Malcolm

★★★★ Watched by Malcolm 06 Jul, 2015

"Masturbating in the shower wastes water and electricity."

The Ice Storm is a quick look into the lives of multiple families with messages and lessons that endure the test of time. It is an intrinsic part of every human to follow urges and this film addresses the consequences and values of that aspect of life. Ang Lee use beautiful close-ups, cuts and framing to let us experience the ups and downs of these intricate characters and their primal urges and indulgences.

• Njabs Phungula

★★★★½ Watched by Njabs Phungula 26 Jun, 2015 2

Before there was American Beauty there was The Ice Storm. While, I don't think it's necessary to compare the two films (I love American Beauty) I just want to say that between the two, this takes the cake (by a very small margin). What I like about The Ice Storm is how complex the characters are. There is a tendency, in a film with many characters, to exaggerate certain personality traits in each character so as to make each character…

• Mirthbound

★★★★½ Watched by Mirthbound 03 Jun, 2015

Fantastic Four framed snapshot of two family households. A mother bringing her son to a key party is the type of underlying sexuality examined.