• Chris Hodgson

★½ Added by Chris Hodgson

Since I fell asleep twice half-way through, I feel justified in saying this is a failure. An unbelievably dull film where literally nothing happens until the final few minutes. Paxton and Healy are fine but that's about it..

• Damian Costanza

★★½ Watched by Damian Costanza 18 Jul, 2014

A mi me dejó bastante frío. La mezcla de generos no me convenció demasiado, tal vez porque me esperaba algo mas de terror.

• Cody Walker

★★★½ Rewatched by Cody Walker 05 Jul, 2014 2

Director Ti West has a reputation for offering throwback horror gems, starting with his excellent 2009 flick, The House of the Devil. His follow-up, The Innkeepers, attempts to revive the old-fashioned ghost story and succeeds...mostly. Set on the last week of operation for a small New England hotel, the film focuses on the paranormal adventures of the last two staff members: Claire (Sara Paxton) and Luke (Pat Healy), a pair of dropouts trying to find proof of the hotel's hauntings…

• Ian Buckwalter

★★★★ Rewatched by Ian Buckwalter 07 Jan, 2012

Read my Atlantic essay.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★½ Watched by Grant Fitzgerald 27 Jun, 2014

The Innkeepers scared me more than most horror films. I have never been so tense during a horror film before. I usually find it very easy for me to sit relaxed and poised while my girlfriend hides her face. But I think I may have been even more scared than her this time around.

The movie has this wonderful charm that is carried out by its lead played by Sara Paxton. There is a constant sense of humor that lasted…

• Shaun Heenan

★★★ Watched by Shaun Heenan 25 Jun, 2014

Solid camerawork and a few interesting character quirks serve to elevate this somewhat.

As usual, it's easier to imagine a movie I'd like more than this with just a few subtle changes.

It's been a while since I've really enjoyed a horror movie. Not really my genre, I guess, because this seems like a pretty good one and I'm still not huge on it.

• Mully Mullennix

★★½ Watched by Mully Mullennix 20 Jun, 2014

Average. This movie just kind of happened. It did have a few creepy parts and the end. There is a fine line between a slow burn and boring. This movie gets slow burn but its close. Too many movies have a clever twist. This movie needed one. I know the kid and the actress where behind it the whole time. Would have added a half star.

• Romain Mereau

★★★★ Watched by Romain Mereau 19 Jun, 2014

There's a really interesting tonal shift in this movie - it's quite hard to pinpoint exactly where it happens, but you get a growing impression that the light-hearted opening has been substituted for a pretty terrifying experience. Having the 'horror' element of this film gradually sneak up on you like this is pretty effective, and the rest is just good genre work. Worth checking out if you feel like something spooky.

• Asher

★★★ Watched by Asher 20 Jun, 2014

Hilarious. Creepy. Fun. Sadly The Innkeepers kind of disappoints with its ending. But other than that I really enjoyed watching this film.

Plus, not many films can scare you and make you laugh at the very same time - The Innkeepers does, even if only for the first few scares.

The main stars give good and enjoyable to watch performances. The guy is funny and the girl is cute (and also funny) it's sad that she, oh sorry, you'll have…

• Chuck Pedroza

★★★½ Watched by Chuck Pedroza 11 Jun, 2014

More formed than West previous efforts but takes to long to start and although it gets very tense, it never delivers on its promise. Sara Paxton however is very good in this one. The cliches here are almost unforgivable.

• imzeesh

★★★½ Added by imzeesh

Ti West's direction was top. Loved it. The film has its moments, and the way the story is told is quite interesting. Also, the last scene has got such a subtle 'strangeness' that it really creeped me out.

• Jordan_The_Bailiff

★★★½ Watched by Jordan_The_Bailiff 01 Jun, 2014

I have only seen very, very little of Ti West's work, but of this, his prior film, and a few shorts, I already have grown to appreciate him greatly.

I mentioned this in my review for The House of The Devil, and the same goes for this film: this is nothing new. There are plenty of horror films in the past that do what this film attempts, only far better. But what makes this film stand out is the incredible sense of atmosphere created by it's setting and set design.

Ti West is one I'm going to be looking out for.