• Doug Dickinson

★★★½ Watched by Doug Dickinson 03 May, 2016

I was really digging this movie until about the final 20 minutes. A nice slow-building mystery with a good balance of spooks and laughs. Then it falls into the expected horror beats. Still pretty good, but I did feel a little underwhelmed by how predictable the climax is.

• Christopher Haskell

★★★ Watched by Christopher Haskell 21 Oct, 2012

"The Innkeepers" is effectively eerie, yet strays away from ever really going anywhere. The atmosphere is solidly designed, with some of the scenes actually being filmed in the real Yankee Pedlar Inn, however the acting is mediocre, with Sara Paxton not proving to be more than an awkward, young actress. I do commend Ti West and his ability to capture certain elements of the horror genre so effortlessly, but with a lack of any real scares and a questionable ending, I do also expect a little more effort in his next film.

• Ben

★★½ Added by Ben

OK

• mikep

★★ Watched by mikep 25 Apr, 2016

One day Ti West may make a good horror film. He might have to relinquish the casting and screenwriting to someone else to get there based on this very tedious and annoying 90 minutes.

• Gabriel Novo

★★★½ Watched by Gabriel Novo 24 Apr, 2016

This movie was better than expected because of the strength of Sara Paxton's performance and the director's focus on building tension. It easily could have devolved into a low-budget jump scare film, but instead created an interesting atmosphere mixing the tediousness of reality with the danger of the supernatural.

• Tyler Hanan

★★★½ Rewatched by Tyler Hanan 07 Apr, 2016

It suffers in comparison to Ti West's masterpiece The House of the Devil, but the delightful Sara Paxton helps keep this slow burn alight.

I also discovered that my hair comes dangerously close to matching Pat Healy's here, which is... a thing I'll have to come to terms with.

• RussellD

★★★★ Watched by RussellD 26 Mar, 2016

Ti West knows how to pace a fuckin' movie. Hot damn.

• Trevor Maekelburger

★★½ Watched by Trevor Maekelburger 23 Mar, 2016 2

"Pessimism is just a higher form of optimism."

The Innkeepers successfully managed to lower my expectations just enough to be okay with it. While it had some awesome set pieces, great chemistry between Sara Paxton and Pat Healy, the hotel employees working the graveyard shift, and some great tilted low angle shots, they don't ever seem to add up to much. Based on the haunting score and spooky shots of the inn in the opening scene, I had high hopes…

• James Skosky

★★★ Watched by James Skosky 16 Mar, 2016

Very well acted, and well written characters are what make the movie. However, it has very little in terms of "horror".

• Nicola Altieri

★★★ Watched by Nicola Altieri 14 Mar, 2016 4

A me Ti West e tutta la nuova generazione di autori americani di horror non piace. Trovo che nella migliore delle ipotesi siano capaci di ricreare alla perfezione atmosfere del passato ma che non abbiano nulla di personale. Al di là di ciò lui e James Wan hanno maestria tecnica e capacità di creare tensione non comuni. Questo The Innkeepers è a suo modo un piccolo gioiello nel riuscire a tenere in piedi una inquietudine costante di fatto sul nulla,…

• MyCornFlakes

★½ Added by MyCornFlakes

"I'm a realist", says the avid ghost hunter.

For some reason, I really wanted to watch this film. I'd heard reviews of mediocrity, mostly mentioning its status as a cult film. But I didn't care. Something was drawing me to it, some sort of visceral, intuitive pull. There must be something decent about it if I feel so strongly, I told myself. On this day I realized that I in fact possess no otherworldly powers, and am not to be…

• dizzy4111

★★½ Watched by dizzy4111 14 Feb, 2016

Between this and The Sacrament I'm starting to worry if whether or not Ti West peaked with his awesome debut The House of the Devil.

Sure, this was competently made but it committed the only unforgivable horror movie sin: being dull as hell.