• Helen

★★½ Added by Helen

31 Horror Films in 31 Days Challenge: Film 1

Its October and so the aim is to watch 31 horror films, mainly going for ones I've not seen before and Lovefilm sent this one through. I gave it a watch, didn't enjoy it and wondered if it was because I was so damned tired.

So I tried again. I still didn't really enjoy it anymore. The characters didn't move me one way or the other and I didn't find it…

• brittany alyse

★★ Watched by brittany alyse 02 Oct, 2015

Weird, tolerable, and strangely lighthearted for a horror film. I dig the ambition but it definitely struggled to find the right pace. With a little tightening and more focus, it could've been great.

• Kenn Gilmartin

★★★ Watched by Kenn Gilmartin 02 Oct, 2015

I really wanted to love this, but found that it struggled to find it's voice. there was some good scares, and the lead was adorable. I just felt that by the time the movie started going, it ended.

• Al

★★ Added by Al

Stupid people pointlessly doing stupid things. Is there a genre for these kind of movies yet? This is such a disappointment especially after just seeing House of the Devil.

• Jack Keane

★★★★½ Watched by Jack Keane 24 Sep, 2015 1

"There are no beginnings. There are no ends. There are no ghosts."

Imagine if 'Clerks' took a casual detour into 'The Shining', and that is basically 'The Innkeepers' in a nutshell.

Although such a flippant description as that does a massive disservice to how creepingly insidious and chest-tighteningly eerie this film truly is.

But it is also genuinely hilarious.

But it's also not really a comedy-horror.

It's in its own weird little offbeat world.

One that manages to tread…

• DemonToLeanOn

★★★½ Rewatched by DemonToLeanOn 17 Sep, 2015 16

Film 3 of Hoop-Tober 2.0 / film 1 from Ti West

Contrary to popular belief, Ti West is the man. Is he horror's knight in shining armor? No probably not, but he's what the genre needs. Because what is the biggest gripe people have with horror films, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME DUMB SHIT!!! Well haters, here you get a filmmaker whose style is completely different from everything else out there yet you still complain. Isn't this what you wanted, something…

• Kira

★★★ Watched by Kira 12 Sep, 2015

3 stars for the characters and cinematography, but this is horror for those who -think- they like feeling scared. Nice story, regardless.

• JohnTyler

★★★★ Added by JohnTyler

A chilling slow-burn thriller from writer/director Ti West, The Innkeepers is more proof that he has what it takes to become a new master of horror, with terrific performances from Sara Paxton and Pat Healy, likeable protagonists, a creepy atmosphere, and excellent suspense.

• Charlie Strangelove

★★ Watched by Charlie Strangelove 08 Sep, 2015 4

While I appreciate that it never spells out the supernatural connections for its audience, I'm not exactly convinced that The Innkeepers is worthy of any serious thought at all. Sara Paxton's performance possesses an extra dimension that the story fails to match. Watching her struggle to handle a heavy trashbag captivated me more than the supposed climax of the movie.

Of the three Ti West films that I've seen so far, I've yet to understand the hype.

• Paul Robinson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Robinson 06 Sep, 2015

Ti West is a master of modern Horror. Classic use of roaming cams and expert angles causing your eyes to dart from door to door. His direction is top class and this film oozes his skills. The main reason this film captured me was its characters. Our two leads are nothing short of great, their relationship is centre stage here and is as interesting, if not more so, as the ghost story itself. Genuine, fresh and one of my favourite films of 2012. A balanced and quality character driven ghost story.

• Bernardo Villela

★★★½ Added by Bernardo Villela

One-Line Review: I enjoyed the film West is clearly talented and I enjoy watching his films and seeing what he’s doing but at the moment his films play almost like the opening acts of Carpenter’s work. If West escalates and concludes a movie like Carpenter can he has classics waiting to happen in him.

Full Mini-Review here: themovierat.com/2015/09/02/mini-review-the-innkeepers-2/

• Sheena

★★★★ Added by Sheena

It's hard to describe this one, so I will just say "heartwarming paranormal romantic comedy". I can't criticize this one at all, despite hoping that it was going to be scarier, I just loved the two characters so much. Their chemistry was organic. I love when actors are comfortable with each other like this because it sucks me in. I didn't even care if they found ghosts or not...their pursuit of them was just as interesting.