• sbaldwin16

★★★½ Added by sbaldwin16

Streep totally earned her Oscar in this film. Margaret Thatcher is not the most likeable person yet Streep gives her such personality and humanity, even if you disagree with Thatcher's politics it's hard not to root for her with the way Streep portrays her. Unfortunately, the performances are the only good thing in this otherwise formulaic biopic.

• Craig Duffy

★★★½ Watched by Craig Duffy 18 Apr, 2014

Liked this a lot better than The Queen. Streep is excellent as is her old-age makeup. Does a good job of humanizing Thatcher and giving both sides of her popular perception but I'm not really sure what the film is trying to say. Also - I think the old person looking back (even with dementia thrown in) is a bit played out in terms of biopic framing devices.

• Craig Holder

★★½ Watched by Craig Holder 12 Apr, 2014

Rather disappointed all the major factors that gave Margaret Thatcher her name are glossed over...well played by Meryl Streep though

• Neil Binks

★★★½ Watched by Neil Binks 02 Apr, 2014

This has been on my watch list for ages, based on the actors and the hype. This wasn't what I expected, setup wise. Was a nice surprise, and fantastically acted by Meryl Streep and Jim Broadbent. A much better film than I expected.

• Ashley Jackson

★★★½ Rewatched by Ashley Jackson 03 Apr, 2014

The second time in 4 days....
    Commitment to the cause. Making a short film and this constitutes research. I watched it first alone but had previously promised the director i'd watch it with her so felt obliged!
    However on second viewing I was even more captivated by Meryl Streep's uncanny performance. And she wasn't half convincing...

• Ashley Jackson

★★★½ Watched by Ashley Jackson 31 Mar, 2014

Although I enjoyed the dramatisation of Thatcher and the truly remarkable character, I found the whole experience simply... unusual considering she was still alive when it was released and suffering with dementia. A risky current day portrayal.

• Richard Duxbury

★★★ Watched by Richard Duxbury 25 Mar, 2014

The trailer made it look ridiculous, but I found much of it to be unexpectedly tender. The framing device is interesting, they seem to be more interested in telling that story than the biographical details, which are superficial to the point of silliness. Streep is outstanding, not a hint of caricature, and keeps it watchable however it missteps.

Not an important issue, but what a disgrace that this won the Oscar for makeup. The work is a constant distraction --…

• The Briquette

★★ Watched by The Briquette 24 Mar, 2014

There was far too much of the elderly senile Thatcher in the film. As a result, the remainder of her life suffered with the movie glazing over many landmark moments.

This is chaotic. It tried to fit in too much, ended up showing little - it turned into a history lesson rather than a biography.

Meryl Streep is immeasurable in the lead. She was barely recognisable and totally became her character. She is what raises this film above a shambles.

• Venguin

★★½ Watched by Venguin 23 Mar, 2014

Impressive, five star performance by Meryl Streep. The film as a whole suffers greatly from the manner of conveying the story of Britain's iconic female Prime Minister through flashbacks. Furthermore, dementia and seeing dead spouses feature far too heavily in the parts that are not flashbacks.

• Owen Stimpson

★★½ Watched by Owen Stimpson 18 Mar, 2014

I just watched The Iron Lady on Netflix and have to say I'm quite disappointed. Prior to the film I was quite ignorant on the subject of Margaret Thatcher and was looking forward to gaining knowledge through the film, however I did not.

The film was just poorly executed in every way. I thought it was far too choppy and lacked flow. It cut from her late years to real clips to present to random scenes, it was just all…

• Henrik Wilhelmsson

★★½ Watched by Henrik Wilhelmsson 15 Mar, 2014

Strong performance from Meryl Streep. Boring movie thought. Not interesting.

• TheInvernessie

★½ Watched by TheInvernessie 05 Mar, 2014

Ah...I was looking forward to this. Now that I've seen it, I'm not entirely sure why it was up for Oscar contention. This wasn't good.
    Meryl Streep is a goddess among actresses, but this role...Thatcher. Not cute.