• Juan .

★★★★½ Watched by Juan . 28 Feb, 2015

Touching tale of a boy rediscovering love in his life.

• James Frazier

★★★★ Watched by James Frazier 27 Feb, 2015

I had always pictured Belgium as idyllic but clearly it's a dreadful place.

• Skim Piff

★★★★ Watched by Skim Piff 25 Feb, 2015

The Dardenne brothers definitely know how to make a film. Their directing style is very personal, and gets up close to the characters. If there was something I disliked about the two movies of theirs I've seen (the ither being Two Days, One Night) is that they would probably be better as short films, for after around 30-45 minutes they feel tired. I wonder how these movies would fair if they were made by an American director. Despite my gripes, The Kid with a Bike is a nice, beautiful little film that I'm sure will make it's place among foreign indie movies.

• FredM

★★★ Watched by FredM 19 Feb, 2015

We, Belgians, are not especially known for being chauvinistic.
    After seeing three pieces of the filmography of our national most known movie export product, the Dardenne brothers, I cannot fully understand the quasi universal praise (Cannes,...) they're receiving.
    They always follow a familiar recipe: similar to the British kitchen sink dramas, they pick a social problem, and construct a tale around this social realism which is almost always emotionally gripping but sometimes make use of plot conveniences to propel the story.
    And that's my main complaint here, althoug being well acted and smoothly directed.

• Lucas Souza

★★★★★ Watched by Lucas Souza 18 Feb, 2015

It's so incredible how Dardennes describes women in their movies, just make me love women even more.

• Cinemashoppe

★★★½ Added by Cinemashoppe

Loved it.

• caio matheus

★★★★ Rewatched by caio matheus 15 Feb, 2015

um filme que consegue de uma cabeleireira e um garoto trocando de bicicletas durante um simples passeio uma cena de inaudita beleza é digno dos mais bem cuidados dramas recentes.

• Alex Austein

★★★★ Watched by Alex Austein 13 Feb, 2015 2

I considered rating this higher, for sheer emotional strength. Thomas Doret's titular character is stellar, conveying so much hurt and repression as he furiously darts across the screen. For a Dardennes film there's so much motion throughout: shots of Cyril racing on his bike, his physical altercations with people, several scenes of him wriggling his way out of the hands of people who want to help him. He's viciously immature and rambunctious, but it's so obviously a result of his…

• Joe

★★★★½ Watched by Joe 13 Feb, 2015 3

As heartbreaking, cruel, tender, and beautiful as real life, but somehow more than just that. My first Dardenne movie so I can't speak to how it stacks up with their other work, but I was surprised to see this much tension and nervous energy in what I thought was going to be a sedate Euro arthouse movie.

• Katie

★★★★★ Added by Katie

This film is so raw and beautiful.

• Jordan Smith

Added by Jordan Smith

Watched this on Netflix to prep for Two Days, One Night tonight. I hadn't seen a movie from the Dardennes brothers before but their thing seems to be clean, simple, character-driven storytelling. Yes, the kid is a punk but ya gotta feel something for him. I've been a pain in the ass before so I felt sympathetic towards him and his bratty behavior. The performances are very natural and the movie has momentum out the ass.

• rick

★★★★½ Added by rick

“How,” asks the mother, “can you be guiltier than anyone in the eyes of all? There are murderers and brigands. What crimes have you committed to blame yourself more than everyone else?” “My dear mother, my deepest love, know that everyone is guilty in everyone’s eyes. I do not know how to explain it to you, but I feel that is so, and it torments me.”

-from Dostoyevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov