• Luke Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Luke Ryan 27 Aug, 2015

An astonishingly powerful, yet simple drama about a young boy dealing with the rejection of his father, who leaves him to live in a home. Much like the Dardenne brothers 2014 film Two Days, One Night, this has a very realistic tone and feel, drawing you in to the characters quite easily. Top performances all round, just a great, great film.

• Conan Tan

★★★½ Watched by Conan Tan 11 Aug, 2015

It was a rewarding experience watching this. The boy in the movie is acting like a child would have in those same situations making him realistic as people are not always likable.

• Josh Rosenthal

★★★★½ Watched by Josh Rosenthal 24 Aug, 2015

Due to my enjoyment of Two Days, One Night, I decided to watch the Dardenne Brothers other movie on Netflix, which was The Kid With a Bike, and after consideration, I liked it a lot more than Two Days, One Night.

The movie centers around a kid who is abandoned by his father and is taken in by a young woman. They grow closer to each other, but when the neighborhood dealer wants the kid to do something illegal for…

• Annie

★★★★★ Watched by Annie 20 Aug, 2015

I'm easily affected by movies that involve acts of kindness and give you hope for humanity. This is no exception.

Very powerful.
    You see the world through the eyes of the kid (with a bike). Cruelty, selfishness and ignorance.
    You're not just watching the film, you're feeling it!
    Loved the story.

Funny, but it totally made me want to get my own bike and go for a ride.

• Benjamin Devasir

★★★★★ Watched by Benjamin Devasir 22 Aug, 2015

Literally stood up in my living room and started clapping. Holy shit.

• Nicolas Curcio

★★★★½ Added by Nicolas Curcio

At this point, I've decided to watch every Dardenne Brothers film. "The Child" is still my favorite, but I liked this a lot more than "Two Days, One Night." Interesting to see them using a partial score here, just for a few seconds at a time, as I don't think they've ever done that? Excellent film. Their signature hyperrealism juxtaposed with the protagonist's constant movement in this film was just beautiful.

• Not Ben Sachs

Added by Not Ben Sachs

In their patience, tolerance and political utility, the films of Belgium’s Dardenne brothers evoke the noble practice of social work, and their latest is no exception. The simple story concerns an 11-year-old boy abandoned by his no-good father and living as a ward of the state; as played by an amazing discovery named Thomas Dorset, he is a very real case study, arousing neither pity nor cooing sympathy. Cyril is given to running away and attacking authority figures: clearly he…

• Shane Tarnowski

★★★★ Watched by Shane Tarnowski 09 Aug, 2015

Eventhough the story has been done many of times but the character investment and the acting does end up bringing a tear in my eye.

• Jeremy Heilman

★★★½ Watched by Jeremy Heilman 13 Sep, 2011

This seems to be, like many (if not all) Dardenne movies, a parable about forgiveness and unconditional love. In it, a troubled child finds himself systematically abandoned by adults, with the exception of a veritable stranger with no obligation to him. Her acts of kindness and capacity for forgiveness seem to approximate a state of grace here, and the suspense in this film seems to come from whether or not the boy whom she loves will recognize this miracle when…

• Chris Miele

★★★★ Watched by Chris Miele 21 Jul, 2015

A film about what it's like to be lost and filled with anger at a young age (and it's got top notch child acting).

• mfulton

★½ Added by mfulton

C-

• macdude

★½ Watched by macdude 14 Jul, 2015

It seemed that almost everything in this movie was setup for the final scene, which ultimately wasn't even a great payoff. The first third of the movie was setting up this annoying kid character, and the last two thirds were all the setup for how the main character got into his situation in the end. Ultimately, although this movie wasn't particularly long, it felt as such because we just didn't know where the story was headed until the very end.…