• Secretkey

★★★★ Added by Secretkey

Müsste ein belgischer Film sein, der mich doch recht berührt hat. Es geht um einen kleinen Jungen, der von seinem Vater verlassen wurde, der dies allerdings nicht realisieren möchte und dann ist es doch echt traurig mitanzusehen, wie deren Beziehung mit so einer Kälte verblasst. Dabei wird das Kind dann von einer Pflegemutter übers Wochenende zu sich geholt, um ihm ein angenehmeres Leben zu ermöglichen, wobei dies für beide Parteien nicht immer einfach ist, da das Kind natürlich schon vom Mileu gezeichnet ist. Der Film kommt zwar ohne große Überraschungen aus, ist aber trotzdem emotional ergreifend und endlich mal mit einem überzeugenden Kinderdarsteller!

• Harrison Miller

★★★★★ Rewatched by Harrison Miller 26 Jul, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• some_writing

★★★ Watched by some_writing 22 Jul, 2014

Prachtig intieme film.

• Cameron Morewood

★★★★½ Watched by Cameron Morewood 18 Jul, 2014

Like most of the Dardenne brothers' work, The Kid with a Bike is simple, but emotionally involving and rich in its characters. Dardenne films are all similar in that they all focus solely on the characters, and this film is no different. The titular "kid" gives an astonishing performance, which is a massive compliment coming from me, because I typically hate child actors. Cécile De France is also quite good as a working woman who encounters the boy and shares…

• Dirk van Eck

★★★ Watched by Dirk van Eck 19 Jul, 2014

It is extremely hot in the Netherlands right now, so I was relieved to find out that the Belgian channel showed this, so that I could watch something in my much cooler basement, instead of behind my PC in this boiling living room. ‘The Kid with the Bike’ is perhaps the most accessible film of the influential brothers Dardenne of whom I have as of yet never seen a picture, but I still had some trouble to get into it.…

• Devin

Added by Devin

dardennes with a dash of happy. well as happy as they get. which is pretty happy in the end after a lot of stuff in the middle and beginning. (wait the kid almost dies in the end, wait he doesn't die, wahoo!) kindness wins! hurrah! in your face cynicism! the more i reflect about it the better it gets (like all dardennes films I have watched they cannot be digested only in the moment you consume them). maybe i will rate it later.

• Ferrandis

Watched by Ferrandis 14 Jun, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Dave Crewe

★★★★ Watched by Dave Crewe 27 Jun, 2014

An inversion of The 400 Blows (with a comparable level of craft). Here, the central character (an 11 year-old boy) is a largely unlikable (if quite sympathetic) character who overcomes adversity largely thanks to the admirable persistence of his foster mother - as opposed to Antoine, a fundamentally good-hearted kid who fails because the authority figures in his life can only forgive him so many times.

• Nick Kline

★★★★½ Watched by Nick Kline 25 Jun, 2014

Yes this is kind of a greatest-hits tape by the Dardennes (at the beginning it seems like it's a semi-sequel to The Child if Renier's epiphany at the end of that film a) didn't happen or b) didn't hold), but these guys can emotionally wreck me in a way no one else can. Super impressive when we deal with protagonists as flawed as theirs.

It's actually that greatest-hits vibe about this and Two Days, One Night that I find most…

• Wesley Emblidge

★★★★ Watched by Wesley Emblidge 19 Jun, 2014

Maybe get a bike lock?

• Matt Heiser

★★★ Watched by Matt Heiser 19 May, 2014

First movie I've seen by the Dardenne Brothers, good story and acting.

• Kurt Velghe

★★★½ Watched by Kurt Velghe 10 Jun, 2014

Typische Dardenne met een voor hen ongewoon optimistische ondertoon.