• Patrick Mulcahy

★★★★★ Watched by Patrick Mulcahy 13 Oct, 2011

At its core, writer-producer-director Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s naturalistic drama, The Kid With A Bike (Le Gamin au Velo) is about a twelve-year old boy desperate to connect with an adult male – his father or a surrogate – who subsequently learns that there is an alternative. For us in Britain, this is an extremely resonant narrative. Much crime in the UK is committed by young adult males – sometimes younger – without a viable male role model. Indeed, one…

• wakeupjyoo

★★★½ Watched by wakeupjyoo 01 Oct, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

아버지가 나를 버리고 떠났다. 연락처도 없다. 그러나 그런 아버지를 간절히 원한다. 세상은 그런 나를 이해하지 못하고 나를 꼴통이라고 한다.
    나를 세상과 이어주는 것 - 자전거.
    그런데 그것을 아빠는 팔아치우고 떠났다.

그 자전거를 찾아준 여인.
    세상 모두 자기 자신, 자기 가족만을 위해 사는데 (심지어 나의 아버지마저) 나를 위해 자기 삶을 희생하는 여인.

소년의 엄마 얘기는 전혀 다뤄지지 않고 있다. 소년의 삶을 볼때 어린 시절에 이미 떠난듯.
    소년이 알지 못하는 엄마의 정을 그 여인이 조금씩 나눠준다.

영화 막바지에서 감정의 롤러코스터를 불러일으키는 장면 -
    그래도 삶은 이어진다

• Corey Hiscocks

★★★★★ Rewatched by Corey Hiscocks 22 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Every time that kid rides around the corner and every time the kids I teach ride around corners of their own, the music swells and I think to myself: "God, I just want to see this kid to make it."

• muchogroucho

★★★ Watched by muchogroucho 18 Sep, 2015

An understated coming-of-age that avoids answering some complicated questions it raises by offering up a weirdly tidy answer in its final moments. It's hazy mood was intoxicating, and I can watch almost anything this naturalistic, but the style was like a gloss. It gave the film an emotional distance, which isn't always a bad thing to me, but it seemed to want to explore some emotions it couldn't quite get to.

It's also possible that following this up with the…

• Prasath

★★★★½ Watched by Prasath 23 Sep, 2015

Good Movie....Must Watch

• micah1984

★★★★½ Watched by micah1984 22 Sep, 2015 2

I've never seen such a real portrayal of neglect in a movie. This film blows ASPCA commercials out of the water with heartfelt performances from both main characters. After seeing this I'm convinced that the Dardenne brothers are child psychologists. I was very impressed with this work of art and will definitely be watching their other movies sometime soon.

Dealing with the lack-of-a-father-figure theme, The Kid with a Bike makes The Squid and the Whale look like pessimistic, pretentious garbage.

• Jay

★★★½ Watched by Jay 20 Sep, 2015

This is the definition of a good film. It's not great, nor bad, it's just.. good."The Kid With a Bike" tells a story that's not anything new but tells it with heart.

• Catty_Mills

★★★ Watched by Catty_Mills 19 Sep, 2015 1

Double Review of Two Days, One Night and The Kid with a Bike

Two Days, One Night and The Kid with a Bike, by the Dardennes brothers, are extremely similar, so I guess that makes the brothers auteurs. But seeing as they’re both inherently flawed in the same ways leaving the films not much more than solid that isn’t necessarily an effusive compliment. It’s easy to see why they’ve become populist darlings with both the critics and the audience. The…

• Aymen

★★★★★ Watched by Aymen 09 Sep, 2015

A simple story that manages to make you feel so great...LOVE les freres Dardenne

• inri222

★★★★ Watched by inri222 08 Sep, 2015

Until he can get back on his feet a father leaves his son at a boys home. After a month and with the father nowhere to be found, he is fostered on the weekends by a woman who works as a hairdresser. As she tries to be a parent the child, he becomes more difficult since he refuses to believe that he was abandoned by his deadbeat father. Another good slice of life film from the Dardenne Brothers in which they borrow a bit from Truffaut & De Sica.

• mdh

★★★ Watched by mdh 06 Sep, 2015

A clinic in sentiment without sentimentality. I like to think of this film as a comment on the inanity of expecting clear motivations for characters in fictional works, when they are only intermittently present in real life; obviously Samantha's decision to play the role she does is never specified, but some of Cyril's decisions are pleasingly opaque as well (though too many too cleanly fit into a standard search-for-a-father-figure narrative). Absorbing enough while it's on the screen but this is…

• Luke Ryan

★★★★★ Watched by Luke Ryan 27 Aug, 2015

An astonishingly powerful, yet simple drama about a young boy dealing with the rejection of his father, who leaves him to live in a home. Much like the Dardenne brothers 2014 film Two Days, One Night, this has a very realistic tone and feel, drawing you in to the characters quite easily. Top performances all round, just a great, great film.