• Brett Hatten

★★★★ Added by Brett Hatten

Sort of like a modern version of '400 Blows' but in Belgium. It's fairly straight-forward in its plot/ execution but that doesn't mean there isn't anything special about it. Recommended.

• JesseSP

★★★★ Watched by JesseSP 26 May, 2015

My first Dardennes film, and I look forward to watching more.

• JP Ocampo

★★★½ Watched by JP Ocampo 25 May, 2015

The Kid with a Bike has characteristics of neo-realism. It tracks a period in 11-year-old Cyril's life when he is abandoned by his father, and does so in a completely grounded believable way, as tends to be the case with the Dardennes' work. The film rests on good performances and even if at times it seems a bit too cliche and manipulative, the message comes through strong. It is a tale of growth; of overcoming confusion and understanding you must stick to those who care for you and answer for your mistakes. A simple, beautiful piece.

• Luiza Soares

★★★★ Watched by Luiza Soares 21 Apr, 2015

No melodrama, with relevant dialogues and excellent performances, this film shines when dealing with actions that result from the deepest emotions of the boy Cyril without bringing any kind of judgment for the character.
    A beautiful film, simple and needs to be watched! I recommend it to everyone!

• Glen Grunau

★★★½ Watched by Glen Grunau 08 May, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne seem to have a knack for creating simple-yet-profound social awareness stories. The Son and L'Enfant are two of their previous movies I have enjoyed. I recall the profound impact L'Enfant had on me when I first watched it, prompting a second viewing. Jérémie Renier played the naive father in L'Enfant and fills a brief but comparable role here as a pathetically inadequate and rejecting father.

I found this story of paternal rejection and the traumatic impact…

• Arnold Furious

★★★ Watched by Arnold Furious 01 May, 2015

I watched this in an attempt to get my number down on the 1001 Movies you should watch before you die.

The Kid with a Bike is made by the same brothers who shot L'Enfant, and as with that film the cast is made up of largely despicable characters. Here we have a deadbeat father, who's abandoned his young impressionable son, sold his bicycle and fucked off to another town. The son is a total shithead, with a disregard for…

• Richard Webber

★★★★½ Watched by Richard Webber 29 Apr, 2015

Dardenne, Dardenne, they've done it again. The brothers, darlings of the Cannes Film Festival are creating a genre all their own, and by genre lore, it comes with expectations. There's a growing confidence as a viewer in the predictable emotional beats and manipulations Luc and Jean-Pierre will put us through, a formula to the way they ensnare us with tales of fractured humanity finally giving way to hope and possibility. It might be just a flicker or a gentle glow…

• Reece Leonard

★★★★½ Watched by Reece Leonard 22 Apr, 2015

With an affecting look at a young boy's struggle to move on from his toxic male father-figures, the Dardennes capture a slice of a life that is both fascinating and moving (with several nods to the iconic Bicycle Thieves thrown in for good measure).

• Dave Imboden

★★★★ Watched by Dave Imboden 19 Apr, 2015

My second Dardenne Brothers picture. I seem to be working my way backwards through their filmography. I get their style, though - quiet neorealism with a big heart. And I like it.

I didn't find this as affecting as the Dardenne's latest, TWO DAYS ONE NIGHT, but having worked in child care it was easy to empathize with our poor little lost Kid. I think only a sociopath couldn't. This one's like Antoine Doinel meets Lupe Fiasco's "Kick Push". Little son of a bitch really should have bought a bike lock.

• BENJAMINTO

★★★★ Watched by BENJAMINTO 14 Apr, 2015

I've somehow managed to avoid registering the name "Dardenne" to my mental catalogue of directors in the last 25 years, and I've done an even better job of avoiding watching any of the Dardenne brothers' films. Two Days, One Night was a film I'd been interested in seeing when it was being championed as an Oscar season underdog (mostly for Marion Cotillard's performance), but the closest I got to watching it was letting the opening studio/financier credits roll before deciding…

• Erwin

★★★★ Watched by Erwin 25 Mar, 2015

Film #23 of the 30 countries 30 films challenge
    list: Subtitle month 2015

• Brandon

★★★★½ Watched by Brandon 19 Mar, 2015

A third installment of "Brandon Hates His Father Even More Because of a Movie."