• Chris Miele

★★★★ Watched by Chris Miele 21 Jul, 2015

A film about what it's like to be lost and filled with anger at a young age (and it's got top notch child acting).

• mfulton

★½ Added by mfulton

C-

• macdude

★½ Watched by macdude 14 Jul, 2015

It seemed that almost everything in this movie was setup for the final scene, which ultimately wasn't even a great payoff. The first third of the movie was setting up this annoying kid character, and the last two thirds were all the setup for how the main character got into his situation in the end. Ultimately, although this movie wasn't particularly long, it felt as such because we just didn't know where the story was headed until the very end.…

• Jeff Schroeck

★★★★★ Watched by Jeff Schroeck 04 Jul, 2015

Cyril, the kid with the bike, is already full of rage when the film opens. It is a close up of his face. He's on the phone trying to reach his dad. We, as adults who know how unfair the world can be, can already tell that this father doesn't want Cyril to find him. He doesn't know this. Even after seeing his father's empty apartment and an advertisement listing his bike for sale (he was under the impression his…

• The Film Fox

★★★ Watched by The Film Fox 01 Jul, 2015

I didn't understand how Cecile De France's character could be so relentlessly compassionate to the orphan boy.....I was waiting for some kind of reveal or explanation that never came. Other than that frustration the film was great.

• Paukzen

★★★½ Rewatched by Paukzen 26 Jun, 2015

Dvd

• yrsurfinman

★★★★ Watched by yrsurfinman 22 Jun, 2015 1

The Dardennes may be known for the simplicity of their style, but I can't think of many other filmmakers of the contemporary era that make such effective, thorough use of wide shots. It's shocking and refreshing to see actors' full bodies such a high percentage of the time.

• fabitof

★★★ Watched by fabitof 24 Jan, 2015

Os irmãos Dardenne são foda. O cinema deles é simples e ao mesmo tempo poderoso. Passei o filme inteiro querendo bater no menino IN-SU-POR-TÁ-VEL, mas no final fiquei com dó do póbi.

• Gonçalo

★★★½ Watched by Gonçalo 17 Jun, 2015

Its greatest strength is character construction and development and a great performance by the kid.

• Alex

★★★★½ Watched by Alex 12 Jun, 2015

There's something so calming about the realism of Dardenne films. The slow panning shots, the flawed but generally likable characters, the simple but powerful look into the lives of some Belgian people. The Kid with a Bike isn't any different. Though the film, unlike other Dardenne films, has music, it still doesn't stray far from their trademark realism. And what a lovely film it is.

• John Jay

★★★★ Watched by John Jay 16 Jun, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The long, uninterrupted takes play into what I've seen from these brothers. They are unafraid to allow their actors (even as young as this kid) work with basic emotions and sincerity. Even when the roughness of life appears, it all feels natural, giving each character an excuse for how they truly act.

We see a horrible kid, then we start to understand. Pain exists even in the youngest of people. How do we help these situations that are so bound…

• Ulf Kjell Gür

★★★ Added by Ulf Kjell Gür

A rare little film that carries a mediocre name. But it is about "le gamain" with or without his bike. My choice of title - Cyril's father. The film editing, tempo, Cyril's cascades of words and a wonderful hairdresser, are a few fantastic assets here. Also Cyril's reactions to disaster aswell as when he gets in touch with his emotions.