• Kikuchisawa

★★★★ Rewatched by Kikuchisawa 23 Mar, 2015

Second viewing, this film is dark, intriguing, and goes by really fast, with a runtime of less than an hour and a half. Great film!

• Jack Dignan

★★★★ Watched by Jack Dignan 23 Mar, 2015

A stylish, suspenseful and wholly entertaining film noir. Not Kubrick's best, but it's certainly a taste for what's to come.

• Steve

★★★★ Watched by Steve 14 Mar, 2015

One of the best Noirs I've ever seen owing undoubtedly to the stellar cast and Stanley Kubrick's notably clear vision for film making. A skill he had clearly developed early in his career.

• Big Tim

★★★★★ Rewatched by Big Tim 19 Mar, 2015 3

My Top 100 Movies of all Time
    Stanley Kubrick — Ranked
    It's My Party and I'll Watch What I Want To: My Birthday Movie Celebration
    My Criterion Collection

"Johnny, you've got to run!"
    "Eh, what's the difference?"

Someone asked me a good question once: "If you were stranded on a desert island, which director's filmography would you want to have?" I didn't even have to think about it. I instantly blurted out "Stanley Kubrick."

That kind of question is easy…

• Rob Simpson

★★★★½ Watched by Rob Simpson 17 Mar, 2015

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect film, even the films I gave a 5 star rating to haven't earned that unattainable status. But I do think that there are movies that have an act, a scene or a passage that couldn't get any better. Even the recent Godzilla had such an example with the skydiving scene. Using a more classic cinematic example, the final 30 minutes of Ikiru are perfect.

The Killing can join Ikiru…

• NewOrder

★★★★★ Rewatched by NewOrder 15 Mar, 2015

O GRANDE GOLPE

(The Killing, 1956)

Check-Ins 43

Movies {O/4}

• Matt Wooldridge

★★★½ Watched by Matt Wooldridge 12 Mar, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

A great crime caper of a film led by Sterling Hayden, who is the George Clooney in a darker kind of Ocean's Eleven at the race track, and with Stanley Kubrick at the helm who covers the events masterfully. I love the narration that sets up all of the players in the scheme, the commanding score totally sets the mood for something dramatic and the performances from everyone is top notch. But this film really excels as all the elements come together, then begin to fall apart, in the final reel. Riveting stuff, with a 'The End' title that works in more ways than one.

• BilltheThrill

★★★★½ Rewatched by BilltheThrill 14 Feb, 2015 2

The Killing is one of my favorites of all of Kubrick's magisterial films. It's an absolutely outstanding, fast paced, and influential heist noir--which is probably the coolest genre ever. Timothy Carey is brilliant in a small supporting role, and it's always nice to see film-noir legends Sterling Hayden and Coleen Gray.

• OtisPGrumble

★★★★½ Watched by OtisPGrumble 08 Mar, 2015

Exceptionally good, right up there with Kubrick's best.

• Jorge Pardo M.

★★★★ Watched by Jorge Pardo M. 04 Mar, 2015 1

A ratos me ha recordado a Reservoir Dogs y a Pulp Fiction y eso habla, mucho y bien, de su grandeza. Nada menos que 36 y 38 años de diferencia respectivamente entre la cinta de Kubrick y las de Tarantino. Un visionario.

Fay: —Johnny, you've got to run!
    Johnny Clay: —Eh... what's the difference?

• Luke McCarthy

★★★★ Watched by Luke McCarthy 03 Mar, 2015

The New Years Resolutions - Film #12
    (Kubrick 2/5)

A taught, tightly plotted heist film which illustrates just how great 'early Kubrick' can be. The Killing's slim running time only enhances it's propulsive pace; every minute feels essential to the narrative, forcing us to never lose focus of what's on screen. As to be expected, the cinematography is wonderful, each composition demonstrating an attention-to-detail which Kubrick will eventually become famous for. The performances are mostly great here, especially Sterling Hayden;…

• danote

★★★★★ Watched by danote 01 Mar, 2015

Hace poco anunciaron a esta exposición en el museo de arte contemporáneo de mi ciudad, y para ir bien estudiado, me propuse ver las películas de Kubrick que me faltan. Cronológicamente, The Killing era la primera en la lista.

The Killing es una película sobre un grupo de ladrones que decide robar un hipódromo, y sobre un par de intrusos que decide robar al grupo de ladrones. Las cosas por supuesto se complican y nada sale como lo planeado. La…