• Taylor Brown

Watched by Taylor Brown 18 Dec, 2014

Reaction to the closing image was "Aw! Fuck yea!"

• feedingbrett

★★★½ Rewatched by feedingbrett 18 Dec, 2014 2

Included In Lists:
    Criterion Collection - #575

Review In A Nutshell:

The Killing marks as the pivotal turning point for Kubrick, telling a story that is not only exciting but also told in such a clever approach. It displays the director close to the top of his game, showing that he is willing to be innovative in the way he approaches his stories that it doesn't have to be told through the conventional three act arc. The Killing shows the…

• Andrew

★★★ Watched by Andrew 07 Dec, 2014

Interesting attempt by Kubrick to create an engaging retelling of a heist. Pacing was a little off, details weren't as tight as his later films, and the acting was fairly wooden.

Shots were beautiful.

• Simon Abrams

★★★★ Watched by Simon Abrams 05 Dec, 2014

I love how Kubrick toys around with the conceit of the film's protagonists as participants in a race, or maybe just a labyrinthine chess game. Ostentatious tracking shots reveal the limitations of characters' movements. And the voiceover narration is, as Haden Guest notes in his exciting liner notes for the film, like a race track announcer.

I also love the abusive nature of the relationships that these characters to crime. That's Jim Thompson's forte, I know, but between Sterling Hayden's bullying, and Elisha Cook Jr.'s whimpering I felt completely worked over. Loved that.

• YI JIAN

★★★½ Watched by YI JIAN 13 Dec, 2014

While warming up for the avalanche of masterpieces that he would soon produce, Stanley Kubrick came up with a surprisingly mediocre heist film. The Killing tells a simple plot in which a few men plan to rob a race track, though General Jack Ripper and his gang deliver fantastic performances here, the totally unnecessary narration had annoyed me and affected my overall enjoyment. But the ending? The ending is an entire different story, the stuff dreams are made of.

The…

• Paul Davey

★★★★½ Watched by Paul Davey 08 Dec, 2014

I was going to write something about this, but... eh, what's the difference.

• PointMan528491

★★★ Watched by PointMan528491 05 Dec, 2014

From a younger, less experienced Stanley Kubrick, The Killing is a suspenseful and exciting heist movie with a unique way of telling its story, once it gets past its slow paced first act and obnoxious narration.

• itsrainingfrogs

★★★★½ Watched by itsrainingfrogs 02 Dec, 2014

Kubrick-cember Film #1: The Killing

Kubrick's first feature film after hour-long pieces like "Fear and Desire" and "Killer's Kiss", The Killing is a great starting point for the great director. It starts off slow, and can be boring at times, but the third act is so incredible and so well crafted that these complaints are overshadowed. Every heist movie ever made since this one owes something to it.

• Christina

★★★★ Watched by Christina 02 Dec, 2014

A terrific heist picture told from multiple perspectives and fractured timelines to create a tense, engrossing picture. Highly enjoyable, beautifully-styled film noir classic.

Sterling Hayden is wonderful but I will always picture him holding his throat in The Godfather.

Watching this movie, I understand why Tarantino emulated it with Reservoir Dogs.

• bmart17

★★★★ Watched by bmart17 26 Nov, 2014

Kubrick's early film is a superb crime story with a brilliant ending. As with many films, it takes some setting up, but by the end you're glued to the screen and although you think you know what is coming next, you probably do not know at all....

• 48ONIRAM

Rewatched by 48ONIRAM 01 Dec, 2014

"They've all got a little larceny in 'em."

I love that the greatness of Kubrick, truly one of the finest film artists, really began to show itself in a coupl of nasty little noir films.

• Līna Sondore

★★★★ Watched by Līna Sondore 29 Nov, 2014

Fay: "Johnny, you've got to run!"
    Johnny Clay: "Eh, what's the difference?"

Man tik mīļā film-noir žanra pārstāvis ar morāli - (stulbas) sievietes rada problēmas. Vienmēr un visur.