• TheLogfella

★★★½ Watched by TheLogfella 28 Jan, 2015

Acting: 8/10

Acting is solid, and rather commendable for a variety of characters with different motives and personalties. Some may even be able to point at the roots for similar characters in later films, and the experience is rewarding. Not the best of Kubrick's characters, but still good nonetheless.

Story: 8/10

It's a sleek noir film that won't be pushing any boundaries, but it offers enough tension and originality to stand out from the crowd. Narration feels a bit forced…

• disinvite

★★★★½ Rewatched by disinvite 21 Nov, 2014

Kubrick’s ‘50s movies give you a glimpse of the great artist yet to come, but they also have a style all their own. I wish he’d made at least one more of these pre-Spartacus movies. There is an urgency and grit about them that is unmatched by his later pictures.

The Killing is especially lean and mean, and its sparkling dialogue is the main attraction. Marie Windsor plays the femme fatale archetype to a particularly nasty degree, and her byplay…

• ScreeningNotes

★★★★ Watched by ScreeningNotes 22 Jan, 2015 4

Decades Project: 4/5 of the 50's

"You have not yet learned that in this life you have to be like everyone else—the perfect mediocrity—no better, no worse. Individuality's a monster, and it must be strangled in its cradle to make our friends feel confident."

Early feature from the man who would become one of cinema's great masters. Something about the way The Killing builds tension reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock, and it's incredible to think the two were both making…

• anoopchag

★★★★½ Watched by anoopchag 23 Jan, 2015

After two solid but tried films, Kubrick lays down the law with this timeless masterpiece that continues to inspire films to this day, and forever. Expertly crafted and brilliantly performed on all accounts.

• Ethan Warren

★★★½ Watched by Ethan Warren 17 Apr, 2013

Not a big fan. Doesn't show any hint of the developing Kubrick style, feels like it could have been made by anyone.

• Vincent Mollica

★★★★ Watched by Vincent Mollica 18 Jan, 2015

I'm one Barry Lyndon away from seeing all the Kubrick that I've missed/have interest in. This was a delight from start to finish.

• AronSteinn

★★★★★ Watched by AronSteinn 19 Jan, 2015

Holy s**t that movie was entertaining! It kept me on my toes and not expecting all the left turns it took. With it's narrative surrounding i got sucked in to the scenery and amazing story. Sterling Hayden stole the show for me.

• Sean Kelly

★★★★★ Watched by Sean Kelly 18 Jan, 2015

An incredibly well-executed fractured narrative crime film, which obviously helped to influence films such as Reservoir Dogs.

• zweidreifuenf_1

Watched by zweidreifuenf_1 17 Jan, 2015

cool und reflektiert, ein Kommentar zum Genre, "Whats the Difference?"

• Wes Andrieu

★★★★½ Watched by Wes Andrieu 13 Jan, 2015

An incredible early work from Kubrick.

• PetShopGirl

★★★★ Watched by PetShopGirl 11 Jan, 2015

Watching this as it was on top ten list of heist movies.

• Po

★★★★★ Rewatched by Po 06 Jan, 2015

The "killing" of the title is the loot, the cash, the approximately $2 million that Sterling Hayden's Johnny Clay bumps off from a racetrack. As in, "to make a killing." The deaths in this film, although they are all murders and are dramatic and shocking, are somehow too mundane, too inevitable to warrant titular reference. The only death that Kubrick and cinematographer Lucien Ballard let us really feel is caused by injuries sustained some minutes earlier, more of a dying…