• orbit4l

★★★ Watched by orbit4l 26 Jul, 2015

I couldn't help it being pretty underwhelmed by Kubrick's clunky-feeling crime-noir exercise while having seen impressive Asian cinema the days before...

• JeffPed

Watched by JeffPed 02 Aug, 2015

The greatest director of all-time working in one of the most interesting genres of all-time will of course equal one of the greatest movies of all-time.

However, being a great director means being a great collaborator, and here, Kubrick surrounds himself with impeccable talents:

Jim Thompson, who provides some quintessential stylized noir dialogue. ("You know, I've often thought that the gangster and the artist are the same in the eyes of the masses. They are admired and hero-worshiped, but there…

• Gray Whitten

★★★★½ Rewatched by Gray Whitten 03 Jul, 2015

Have y'all seen THE KILLING ('56) before? This is maybe my 3rd viewing & I LOVE IT.

Also:
    HIGHLY recommend this French Sterling Hayden interview on the @Criterion KILLING Blu--look at his BEARD!

• Paddy Walker

★★★★★ Watched by Paddy Walker 02 Aug, 2015

Looks like Tarantino was heavily influenced by The Killing's heist-structure for Jackie Brown, and the rest of the film's non-linear timeline for Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Maybe this is known fact already, I don't know.
    Still, what a tautly-composed, economic, tense little film. This is all story and no filler. I loved it.

• Xebeche

★★★★½ Rewatched by Xebeche 25 Jul, 2015

NOIR NIGHT - 1 of 4

Stanley Kubrick's style and mastery of space really takes form in The Killing. It is beautiful, carefully constructed, and one of the most visually dynamic of the noir genre. Later down the road, Kubrick's idiosyncrasies would become so distinct and powerful that he would be the star of his films (I'm not complaining). In The Killing, he isn't emenating so much wizardry that he outshines monumental performances or overpowers great writing. It's a cool…

• Samuele Picarelli Perrotta

★★★★½ Watched by Samuele Picarelli Perrotta 28 Jul, 2015

Kubrick always forward!

• Michael Wilson

★★★★★ Watched by Michael Wilson 20 Jul, 2015

Just when I thought I might never again have one of those "sitting at the edge of the chair" experiences while watching a film in the comfort of my home theater, I discovered Stanley Kubrick's 1956 Film Noir THE KILLING.

One of the most ingenious crime capers ever constructed, the screenplay was written by Kubrick and Jim Thompson and based on the novel The Clean Break by Lionel White.

Sterling Hayden stars as ex-con Johnny Clay, who is planning a…

• Jon Demske

★★★★½ Added by Jon Demske

Narrative nimbleness and an an honest yet honestly brutal ending make for a great watch.

• paulsell

★★★★ Watched by paulsell 18 Jul, 2015

“I don’t think I’ll have to kill her, just slap that pretty face into hamburger meat that's all"

Now I see where Tarantino got the whole Jackie Brown repeating time on same event to see different characters' perspectives bag switch sequence from.
    A great film, with strong vivid characters and awesome exchanges, the violence feels brutal for its time, didn't like the narration. Sterling Hayden is great as always, and nice to see Timothy Carrey, what a strong, memorable and peculiar character actor he was.

• David Koenig

★★★★ Added by David Koenig 1

Film Noir #18: The Killing (1956) film thoughts... Well, I have seen (and own) Killer's Kiss by Kubrick and also had this DVD for a long while and decided it's time to see it... It's a complex robbery scheme set up by an ex-con who confidently has it all figured out...or does he? There is a big horse race coming up with an estimated $2,000,000 up for grabs...can they pull it off?

First and foremost, people who have an interest…

• RodrigoJerez

★★★½ Added by RodrigoJerez

The Killing is a crime film by Stanley Kubrick about a group of men that are making a plan to steal money from a famous hippodrome that seems to be impossible to rob.

The movie itself is a good time, nothing to special about it, nothing too wrong either. The dialogue is ok, the camera is ok and the acting is ok too. Now the characters are good for the most part except a few like Jonnhy's wife, she's the…

• Jonathan Storey

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Storey 13 Jul, 2015

Criterion Blu-Ray #52. Thrilling and seedy and beautiful in the moment, but I don't think its going to have the same staying power with me as any of Kubrick's masterpieces, or even something like Paths of Glory. Still, as far as noirs go, this is A-OK with me.