• tstern1

★★★★ Added by tstern1

That damn dog...

• ReedRothchild

★★★★★ Watched by ReedRothchild 19 Oct, 2014

If it was possible at all to improve on this film it would be a perfect fit for a Coen brothers remake. Aside from having characters who are begging to be reinterpreted by the likes of William H. Macy, John Tuturro and John Goodman, the themes and narrative seem like a precursor to their work. But The Killing cannot be improved on. Adding his own technical flourishes (including a couple of gorgeous tracking shots and close-ups) to the aesthetics of…

• Jacob Gehman

★★★★½ Added by Jacob Gehman

I am amused after reading some of the reviews below (from my review's original Flixster home) that I'm not the only one who thinks that Tarantino must have been influenced by The Killing (and, to a lesser extent, Killer's Kiss). I don't really view this as a bad thing since I tend to think that Tarantino does the whole "jumbled chronology" thing better than Kubrick does here.

However, while Kubrick's jumping back-and-forth in time feels slightly awkward, it is still…

• slyman

★★★★½ Watched by slyman 15 Oct, 2014

"I've often thought that the gangster and the artist are the same in the eyes of the masses. They are admired and hero-worshipped, but there is always present underlying wish to see them destroyed at the peak of their glory."

Kubrick's first commercial film presents the heist as an artform - elaborate, immaculately planned and crafted, and relying on many factors, including a little bit of luck, to succeed.

Fresh out of the slammer, an ex-prisoner pulls together an eclectic…

• Bill Shannon

★★★½ Added by Bill Shannon

Methodical and cynical, Kubrick presents a heist film with all killer, no filler. Less interested in character than the trappings of its plot, it's surprisingly easy to follow given the half-dozen subplots.

Each character is an archetype -- the heavy, the wimp, the kindly man, the femme fatale, the doting girlfriend, the crooked cop -- and the action flashes back and forth from the past to the present, and while it's somewhat confusing initially, it all falls into placse by the end.

There is simply not fat in this movie: every scene advances the plot, and nothing is unnecessary. A classic heist flick.

• Sean Balanger

★★½ Watched by Sean Balanger 11 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Kubrick Ampersand

★★★½ Watched by Kubrick Ampersand 07 Oct, 2014

I'm finally getting around to the lesser-known/less popular Kubrick catalog and, I've gotta say, I'm loving it so far. This is a classic noir thriller with an ending that had me laughing and really invested.

• Joe DiCanio

★★★½ Watched by Joe DiCanio 13 Feb, 2012

Rating: B

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 05 Oct, 2014

Together with Paths of Glory this little masterpiece basically solidifies my view that Kubrick was a decent director who disappeared up his own arse rapidly after spaced-out hippy survivors over-praised the pretty but sterile 2001. For once Stan the Man with the Widescreen Pan doesn't treat actors, characters, dialogue and actual stuff happening as obstacles to his love affair with camera lenses and the result is excellent. Hell, there's suspense - otherwise utterly alien to Kubrick films - on show in this one.

• Raghu

★★★★½ Added by Raghu

Classic Film-Noir From Kubrick, Flawless Narration Spellbound Screenplay !!

• simon evans

★★★★ Watched by simon evans 04 Oct, 2014

Having watched this Spanish blu ray (same print as the Criterion) it was a joy to see the movie presented in it's original cinema viewing aspect ratio of 1:66. This simply enhances what is a superb noir/crime thriller with an excellent performance from Sterling Hayden. The story involves a major horse racing event heist, planned to the last detail amongst a group of associates. Director Stanley Kubrick rarely puts a foot wrong in this movie that is a joy to watch.

• quantumcircus

★★★★ Rewatched by quantumcircus 22 Aug, 2014

I was amazed how fresh and co temporary the film feels even after all this time.leaves you completely. The edge and unsure who to root for (in a good way). Fast paced, but steady too.