• David

★★★½ Watched by David 30 Aug, 2014 3

"Venderías a tu madre por un trozo de torta, pero eres lista. Sabes cuándo vender y cuándo quedarte quietecita, como ahora."

—Johnny Clay

• Omar Arteaga

★★★½ Watched by Omar Arteaga 30 Aug, 2014

No sé que tanto habrá innovado e influenciado en las películas de robos, pero sin dudas está bien hecha y la historia se deja disfrutar mucho aun con lo predecible y sencilla que es.

Técnicamente está muy bien lograda, el suspenso es muy efectivo, el soundtrack complementa perfectamente, las actuaciones no son las mejores y el final me sacó una carcajada que terminó en un poco de lástima hacia los personajes. The Killing va a lo que va y entretiene en su propuesta.

"You like money. You've got a great big dollar sign there where most women have a heart."

• cronic

★★★★ Watched by cronic 24 Aug, 2014

8/10

Normally i dont like these ancient fuck movies but the Killing was very good. Great dialogues, interesting plot, solid narrating

• sschuster

★★★½ Added by sschuster

Kubrick does a great job bringing this film-noir caper to life on the big screen.

• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 20 Aug, 2014

It's a bad joke without a punchline." ~ Sherry's dying words.

Oh yes there is a punchline to Stanley Kubrick's famed film noir crime thriller. In fact, the entire story builds up to it. And I laughed harder at the end of this than I have at the conclusion of any recent comedy.

Sterling Hayden plays Johnny Clay, a convict recently released after five years in prison and anxious to make a big score that will turn his life around.…

• Evan Daniels

★★★★½ Watched by Evan Daniels 19 Aug, 2014

It's certainly difficult to compare The Killing to Kubrick's later epics like A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, but by no means should it be overlooked. The Killing is an extremely strong, thoroughly engaging film. Though the cinematography doesn't come near immaculacy of his later films, it still looks wonderful here, especially during the heist sequence. The characters are lovable, and it's interesting how there doesn't seem to be a single main character; they're all "pieces of the puzzle," as the narrator describes in the beginning. This is a classic from Kubrick, and it should definitely be seen.

• Tyrion Lannister

★★★½ Watched by Tyrion Lannister 20 Aug, 2014

Kubrick has done it all. I honestly can't think of a genre he didn't cover in the wide range of his movies. Here he takes on the crime/heist/noir film. It's a good standalone film, and it's great to see this film as an influence to films like Reservoir Dogs, because it clearly is.

The movie follows a group of guys as they plan and act out a horse race robbery. Like many heist/crime movies to follow it, it has a…

• WhitsMovies

★★★★★ Rewatched by WhitsMovies 18 Aug, 2014 10

Before you read this, let it be known I haven't done anything like this before. This is a story somewhat inspired by a movie, it is not a review. At least not in the traditional sense it's not. This review (it's not really a review at all, but whatever) is dedicated to my friend Reelz. Thanks for the inspiration Mark!
    Now let's get down to business.

The prettiest dame I ever laid my eyes on was Cornelia Oates. The funny…

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 17 Aug, 2014

The Killing applies the multiple perspective of Rashomon to a noir crime caper with great success. The disjointed timeline makes the movie fly by, even if the narration (from an omniscient narrator, not a character) seems a bit dated. Without the narration though, a viewer might easily be lost there are so many jumps in time.

Sterling Hayden is great, talking fast and tough throughout. And better yet the ending is satisfying as all the plot strands come together in…

• Harrison Miller

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Miller 18 Aug, 2014

An intense criminal procedural that probably inspired many in its wake. I have never seen a Kubrick film less thematic, and this film is all the better for it, at least for me that is so. The film just focuses on how everything is planned and structured, but unexpectedly to the film's characters, complications ensue.

• Alice Bishop

★★ Rewatched by Alice Bishop 16 Aug, 2014 5

When a director has already established themselves as a master of their craft it can often be underwhelming to look back on their early work. I had seen The Killing once before but had forgotten almost all of it (and perhaps for good reason).

There are two factors that I admit heavily influence my dislike of this film:
    1. Having now seen all of Kubrick’s work my expectations could not have been any higher.
    2. I am a lazy 90s…

• jackrys

★★★★½ Watched by jackrys 09 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.