• Not David Lynch

★★★★½ Watched by Not David Lynch 17 Apr, 2016

The obvious hook for the film is the way the main heist is structured. This is a writer's movie more than a director's, and it shows. The way it continuously loops back to the start of the race is brilliant, and a great way to place everyone in the same area and time while having us understand exactly what everyone's role is. It's also amazing that various parts of the heist could go wrong without necessarily ending the whole thing.…

• Hunter Ruth

★★★★½ Watched by Hunter Ruth 27 Apr, 2016

Well... shit.

• La Pantalla Invisible
  • tony

★★★★ Rewatched by tony 23 Nov, 2015

Over the past few years my Kubrick appreciation has fluxuated from god like admiration to aw shucks he is human after all. Your talking to a man who loved Clockwork Orange before id even watched it,I spent years buying the posters and soundtrack without actually seeing the film until the advent of bootleg videos. But re-watching The Killing I kind of prefer this pretty much straight forward adaptation of novel Clean Break by Lionel White.A terrific and fast paced noir…

• Scotty Bryant

★★★★★ Added by Scotty Bryant

I recently checked this film out from my local library, I had not heard a lot about the film, and I was actually surprised since this was a Kubrick film. It's a fantastic heist film, I really enjoyed it, the performances from the entire cast was great, especially from Sterling Hayden and Marie Windsor, they were the shining stars in this film. I loved how simple the plot was and its easily now one of my favorite Kubrick films. I loved how dark it went in the final act and that ending, wow, I did not expect that.

5/5

• SpringwdSlasher

★★★★ Watched by SpringwdSlasher 12 Apr, 2016

The Killing is the first film of Kubrick's filmography that makes you realize you're watching a master in the making.

The Killing tells the story of a bunch of criminals who plan to stage a racetrack heist-a heist for the tune of $2 million. Of course, because this is a heist film-noir, things go wrong. Be it the scheming wife of one of the men involved, who plans with her lover to rob the robbers of the money once the…

• mesnalty

Watched by mesnalty 20 Apr, 2016

God, the cast is so good in this, especially Marie Windsor - it would have been interesting to see what she would have done with some meaty roles, instead of being relegated to B-movies.

• Daniel Charchuk

★★★★ Rewatched by Daniel Charchuk 11 Mar, 2009

Not really a Kubrick film, despite claims to the contrary. It's quite plain and basic, all things considered.

• Mackenziemovies

★★★★ Watched by Mackenziemovies 12 Apr, 2016

4/5
    This film is a slow burn but a very good slow burn.

• EvanstonDad

★★★★½ Added by EvanstonDad

Stanley Kubrick directed this slick heist film early in his career, and it stands as one of the most exciting of the many crime thrillers released during the 1950s.

Our friend Quentin Tarantino owes much to this film. Anyone who thinks Tarantino invented the gimmick of telling a story through topsy-turvy chronology should watch this to see how much this movie had to have influenced "Jackie Brown" and "Reservoir Dogs." Stylish black and white photography (which includes some trademark Kubrick Steadicam shots) add much to this film's atmosphere. Watch and enjoy.

Grade: A

• Andrew Saunders

★★★★★ Rewatched by Andrew Saunders 10 Apr, 2016

Here is Kubrick's first big film, and damn do I enjoy it. I remember owning the Kubrick DVD collection, but then discovering that the set did not include much of his early stuff. I don't get why they leave those off, because as soon as I saw this I knew it was being under appreciated.

The character of George in this makes me love every minute he's in. When we first meet him and his wife, I cannot contain my…

• Lars Sieval

★★★★ Watched by Lars Sieval 09 Apr, 2016

"You'd be killing a horse - that's not first degree murder, in fact it's not murder at all, in fact I don't know what it is." - Johnny Clay

So Kubrick's first feature film starring professional actors turn out to
    I just loved the story, the ending, the acting, even the voice over and the way the story was told. It's just lovely through and through. At 86 minutes long I do believe everyone should watch this one. YES.

A great entry in the lovely genre of Film Noir!