• TajLV

★★★½ Watched by TajLV 20 Aug, 2014

It's a bad joke without a punchline." ~ Sherry's dying words.

Oh yes there is a punchline to Stanley Kubrick's famed film noir crime thriller. In fact, the entire story builds up to it. And I laughed harder at the end of this than I have at the conclusion of any recent comedy.

Sterling Hayden plays Johnny Clay, a convict recently released after five years in prison and anxious to make a big score that will turn his life around.…

• Evan Daniels

★★★★½ Watched by Evan Daniels 19 Aug, 2014

It's certainly difficult to compare The Killing to Kubrick's later epics like A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, but by no means should it be overlooked. The Killing is an extremely strong, thoroughly engaging film. Though the cinematography doesn't come near immaculacy of his later films, it still looks wonderful here, especially during the heist sequence. The characters are lovable, and it's interesting how there doesn't seem to be a single main character; they're all "pieces of the puzzle," as the narrator describes in the beginning. This is a classic from Kubrick, and it should definitely be seen.

• Tyrion Lannister

★★★½ Watched by Tyrion Lannister 20 Aug, 2014

Kubrick has done it all. I honestly can't think of a genre he didn't cover in the wide range of his movies. Here he takes on the crime/heist/noir film. It's a good standalone film, and it's great to see this film as an influence to films like Reservoir Dogs, because it clearly is.

The movie follows a group of guys as they plan and act out a horse race robbery. Like many heist/crime movies to follow it, it has a…

• WhitsMovies

★★★★★ Rewatched by WhitsMovies 18 Aug, 2014 8

Before you read this, let it be known I haven't done anything like this before. This is a story somewhat inspired by a movie, it is not a review. At least not in the traditional sense it's not. This review (it's not really a review at all, but whatever) is dedicated to my friend Reelz. Thanks for the inspiration Mark!
    Now let's get down to business.

The prettiest dame I ever laid my eyes on was Cornelia Oates. The funny…

• Chris

★★★★ Watched by Chris 17 Aug, 2014

The Killing applies the multiple perspective of Rashomon to a noir crime caper with great success. The disjointed timeline makes the movie fly by, even if the narration (from an omniscient narrator, not a character) seems a bit dated. Without the narration though, a viewer might easily be lost there are so many jumps in time.

Sterling Hayden is great, talking fast and tough throughout. And better yet the ending is satisfying as all the plot strands come together in…

• Harrison Miller

★★★★ Watched by Harrison Miller 18 Aug, 2014

An intense criminal procedural that probably inspired many in its wake. I have never seen a Kubrick film less thematic, and this film is all the better for it, at least for me that is so. The film just focuses on how everything is planned and structured, but unexpectedly to the film's characters, complications ensue.

• Alice Bishop

Rewatched by Alice Bishop 16 Aug, 2014 5

When a director has already established themselves as a master of their craft it can often be underwhelming to look back on their early work. I had seen The Killing once before but had forgotten almost all of it (and perhaps for good reason).

There are two factors that I admit heavily influence my dislike of this film:
    1. Having now seen all of Kubrick’s work my expectations could not have been any higher.
    2. I am a lazy 90s…

• jackrys

★★★★½ Watched by jackrys 09 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Chris Purdie

★★★★½ Added by Chris Purdie

Worth watching alone for the bit where the big, bald, hairy guy goes bezerk & rips his shirt off.

Dipping back into my Kubrick retrospective, it was high time I threw myself into The Killing.
    I hadn't watched this in a few years, but I remembered it was a solid crime movie. What I didn't remember however, is that it's a surprisingly nail biting affair.
    It's a solid, intricately plotted crime masterpiece and a large part of it's success is surely…

• Alex Hunter

★★★★★ Watched by Alex Hunter 26 Jul, 2014

A complete whirlwind of action, comedy, and suspense. When it's funny, it's hilarious. When it thrills, you're on the edge of your seat. Such a joy that engages you for the entire duration, which is amazingly short given how much happens in this concise period.

• Klep

★★★★ Watched by Klep 23 Jul, 2014

Similar to Paths of Glory, which I watched a week or so ago, The Killing is a briskly paced, strikingly efficient film. But where Paths is interested in exploring what makes men do what they do, The Killing dispenses with motives perfunctorily (for the most part) and gets right to the action.

My understanding is that this is basically Kubrick's first mature feature. That being the case, it's remarkable how good he already is. Aided by snappy dialog and a…

• Jeff Irvine

★★★ Watched by Jeff Irvine 08 Jul, 2014

Well made crime thriller from early Kubrick. You can tell that he is a special director even at this early stage. I can see a lot of this film in Taratino's Reservoir Dogs, which he has admitted this film was an influence on. Good movie.