• jdue

"-That meatball?
    -Meatball with gravy."

• Carl

★★★ Watched by Carl 24 May, 2015

I don't if it was just the mood I was in, or if I was expecting too much, but I found this kind of disappointing. It has a very slow pace, and I wasn't interested in the story as I wanted to be. That being said, the acting is good, writing is good, the last act saved the film, and by far the best thing about this movie is how it was shot and the cinematography that was pretty damn…

• Logan Jones

★★★★ Rewatched by Logan Jones 24 May, 2015

Despite an irritating expository voiceover and slightly unengaging characters, the superb performances (Sterling Hayden, to name one), stunning cinematography, fast dialogue and brilliant direction from a man who would go on to be one of the most celebrated directors of all time, make this an electric, truly iconic, surprisingly violent film noir.

• Diogo Vale

★★★★½ Watched by Diogo Vale 19 May, 2015

Why did every men in the 50s have such cool, manly voices?

• Benedict KS

★★★★ Watched by Benedict KS 16 May, 2015

The rise of a master.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

First real Kubrick film
    Shows the man started with a
    lot to offer us.

• Craig Dawson

★★★★ Watched by Craig Dawson 21 Apr, 2015

Crooks plan and execute a daring race-track robbery.

An early Kubrick film that while not as essential as his lauded work, is still very good and well worth catching. I'd not seen this before and with the ever reliable Arrow Video releasing it on Blu-Ray, picking it up was a no brainer.

Plot wise it's pretty simple, a group of men decide to rob a racetrack during the biggest race on the most profitable day of the year. You can…

• Amy Holmes

★★★★½ Rewatched by Amy Holmes 07 May, 2015

Of all the stylish noir heist movies out there, this is one of the most fun to watch. The characters are all colorful, horrible, wonderful oddballs, and as a group executing a plan they really don't work well together at all. Everything goes wrong. It's a blast.

I don't know if a new restored print was created or what, but the version they were showing on TCM looked incredibly crisp and gorgeous.

• Jesse

★★★★½ Watched by Jesse 12 May, 2015

While it's not my favorite Stanley Kubrick movie he absolutely nails the film noir genre here. With him also writing the screenplay the dialogue is very strong and he applies the cliches of the crime drama genre extremely well. There are some excellent performances throughout particularly Elisha Cook, Sterling Hayden and Marie Windsor. The score by Gerald Fried fits the pacing and suspense perfectly. The heist that is planned out in this is pretty interesting and I found the ending to be very satisfying.

• DavidM3000AD

★★★★ Rewatched by DavidM3000AD 11 May, 2015

Kubrick's The Killing is unusually lean for him: a tough, taut b-movie noir. In his top three, easily.

• Colin

★★★★ Watched by Colin 11 May, 2015

Tough-talking Sterling Hayden leads a group of ne'er-do-wells plotting to steal millions from a racetrack. They have the perfect plan, and the film tracks the various motivations of those involved, the intricate and perfectly timed heist, and what follows.

This is one of those short and sweet movies. It's only 84 minutes and moves very quickly - even the actors are talking fast, all saying this great dialogue like they are in some pulp paperback. Nobody in real life speaks…

• Bill Baker

★★★½ Watched by Bill Baker 08 May, 2015

I have been wanting to see this film since I was 16 years old and thought Stanley Kubrick was God. I have long since revised my opinion about Kubrick, but I'm glad to finally see this noirest of noir existential heist film. Thanks to TCM. A cruel film, in the Artaudian sense, a relentless look at the absurdity of human endeavor. " Eh, what's the difference?" It's all for nothing.