• Nick Vass

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nick Vass 16 Nov, 2015

The most gripping audiovisual drama. It's tightly plotted, extensively detailed and strongly performed. I'd almost forgotten how superbly it utilizes the voyeur to take in the couple's tumultuous relationship and domestic privacy through East Germany's political upheaval. It reaches an ultimate conclusion of wrenching anguish as even the Stasi are incapable of human decency. I used to consider the ending a bit saccharine on its initial theatrical run yet now it's suddenly moving.

• Andrew Baek

★★★★★ Watched by Andrew Baek 22 Nov, 2015

A bit sentimental at the end, but what a complex and captivating slice of history. I immediately pored over Wikipedia for a crash course on the Stasi, das Schild und Schwert der Partei.

• rellisfrs1

★★★★½ Watched by rellisfrs1 22 Nov, 2015

A remarkable film; the best German film I've seen so far with excellent acting and a gripping plot about a Stasi official in East Berlin in 1984 charged to find fault with a prominent playwright who, at first, seems beyond suspicion but, eventually writes a story about the high rate of suicides in East Germany which is printed in the West. The story unfolds in an unpredictable way and the ending is very moving. Brilliant performances by all the major actors.

• Buzz Borders

★★★ Watched by Buzz Borders 15 Nov, 2015

On a first viewing of The Lives Of Others there's a nagging flaw which almost goes by in the flow of this enthralling, intense, emotionally charged polical thriller. I'm not even refering to the clunker of an ending which seems made for awards season. No. The main character Wieler is too thinly depicted and as the story unwinds the looming question bubbles up again and again: what is it that draws him in about the couple he's listening to, where,…

• Jim Schen

★★★★ Watched by Jim Schen 10 Nov, 2015

Film #13 of the 2015 Scavenger Hunt November Challenge!
    Task #8: A film about political conspiracy.
    My Scavenger Hunt November 2015 List .

The Lives of Others was a very solid film about an investigation into a playwright by the Socialist Party in East Germany. The constant paranoia of that time was made evident throughout the film. I enjoyed the performance of Ulrich Mühe as Wiesler, the lead investigator as his feelings change towards the people he is spying on.…

• Jon Mears

★★★★½ Watched by Jon Mears 09 Nov, 2015

Another film that's been sat on the shelf shouting "I'M FUCKING GREAT AND EVERYONE KEEPS TELLING YOU I'M GREAT SO WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME"

Turns out everyone was right, which is annoying.

• Akokash

★★★★ Watched by Akokash 07 Nov, 2015

"Das Leben Der Anderen" Aka The lives of Others is the first movie Florian Henckel directed , and I can safely say that this is one of the best character study movies I have ever watched , with a very powerful performance from Ulrich Mühe who was absolutely outstanding , also the soundtrack was really good along with the well written screenplay , the lives of others is definitely one of the best foreign movies out there.

• Paul Zoccolillo

★★★★½ Added by Paul Zoccolillo

(Original review outdated, re-evaluation required at later date)

• Knox Gray

★★★★★ Added by Knox Gray

Wow, the main character is the closest you can get to a saint in this dark world. I teared up at the end of this and if you don't just keep in mind, you're probably under surveillance right now.

• Alex

★★★★ Watched by Alex 16 Oct, 2015

Incredibly good acting however an emotionally exhausting experience.

• mavi

★★★★ Added by mavi

♡ ☭☭☭☭☭☭ ♡

• Liv

★★★★ Watched by Liv 14 Oct, 2015

New entry to all time favorite movie scene: "I am your audience" scene