• Quintijn Vos

★★★★★ Watched by Quintijn Vos 31 Oct, 2014 2

Wow.
    just wow.
    A breathtaking journey through the cold, paranoid streets of East-Germany.
    The last scene keeps playing in my head, and I don't know what to feel. It's a beautiful bittersweet ending, one that made me weep like a little girl.
    I wanna write about all these emotions I felt, the characters, some who were so love-able to me. But I can't. Das leben der Anderen is an extraordinary experience which shouldn't be told in a review, I can't even try to capture the greatness of this film.
    Do yourself a favor, watch Das leben der Anderen! afterwards, thank yourself.

• Richard Doyle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Doyle 14 Oct, 2014

A really wonderful thriller that balances human drama with a meditation on what it's like to live under a state that controls all aspects of life. The ending is a little bit mawkish, but it's sort of earned after the events of the climax. It manages the delicate task of depicting a character who undergoes a transformation while subtly demonstrating that he had the seeds of it in him all along.

• TomKavanagh

★★★★ Rewatched by TomKavanagh 17 Oct, 2014

It had been some years since I’d seen The Lives of Others, so I was happy for the chance to revisit a film that I recalled very fondly. It did not disappoint. It works so well on so many fronts. As a taut, psychological thriller. As an insightful historical account of the disturbing surveillance practices of the Stasi in East Germany. And, most powerfully, as a character portrait of the intelligence officer, Gerd Wiesler, the film’s protagonist. When we first…

• Jeff Irvine

★★★★½ Watched by Jeff Irvine 13 Oct, 2014

This was an amazing film that I would hold up to any Hollywood film that came out at the time. I have only recently begun challenging myself with foreign films, and have particularly stuck to older classics. I'm going to need to start looking at newer films after seeing this. Such a heartfelt tale that you can tell was important to the filmmakers. It's amazing how much Cold War era Germany and Russia felt like some sort of dystopian post-apocalyptic…

• dartagnan

★★★★ Watched by dartagnan 12 Oct, 2014

Loved. It.

• Wilf Wilson

★★★½ Watched by Wilf Wilson 12 Oct, 2014

Didn't enjoy it completely.

• Anne

★★★★★ Added by Anne

Orginal Title: das leben der anderen.

Have watched this movie about 6 times.
    Very good portait of the DDR, and the consequences of it.
    Great acting by Muhle, Koch and Gedeck.

• Tim Woods

★★★★ Added by Tim Woods

It's good, but it's a tough watch.

• Robyn Nesbitt

★★★★★ Added by Robyn Nesbitt

Similar to the communist witch hunts that alarmed American's in the 1950's, "The Lives Of Others" offers a riveting view of life behind the Berlin Wall. Director von Donnersmarck engages us in the life of a cold, dispassionate character that takes us on a journey that transforms him from detached observer to involved partisan. The film is careful to avoid overt melodrama, but at the same time, it engages the emotions. Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the movie is…

• pyke_1

★★★★½ Added by pyke_1

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Peter_Leigh

★★★★½ Rewatched by Peter_Leigh 04 Oct, 2014

Really enjoyed, amazing story line. Looks beautiful

• bille