• Nik

★★★★½ Rewatched by Nik 17 Jun, 2015

Although I've read numerous times that there are no documented cases of Stasi agents rebelling to the extent that HGW does, I couldn't help but be seduced by the optimistic humanity present in "The Lives of Others" on my second viewing.

The only thing I disliked was the cartoonishly evil portrayal of the bureaucrat antagonist, and I'm also sure the very bleak depiction of East Germany outraged a lot of contemporary marxist-leninists.

Tension and character are both developed subtly by having the audience observe what the protagonist is tasked to monitor, and the poetic ending is perfect.

"No, It's for me."

• Rana

★★★★★ Watched by Rana 28 Sep, 2015

"It's NOT about ideology , it's about him"

• ab

★★★½ Watched by ab 27 Sep, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Steve Moyle

★★★★ Added by Steve Moyle

A brilliant political thriller that takes itself very seriously as it should, it also doesn't feel as long as it really is. Just for some reason I only thought it was very good as opposed to great, the performance's and overall craft didn't truly have any faults. This and Downfall are very essential modern German films that both deal with reality very well.

• Ollie

★★★★ Watched by Ollie 12 Sep, 2015

Damn fine film but it failed to blow me away.

• Noel Anderson

★★★★½ Watched by Noel Anderson 11 Sep, 2015

Very well made and engrossing film! Each shot and scene set up with great care and detail. Directing, acting, cinematography all well done.

• majella

★★★★ Watched by majella 07 Sep, 2015

I have been meaning to watch this film for ages and finally got around to it. I loved this film!

• Prasath

★★★★★ Rewatched by Prasath 09 Sep, 2015

Finest movie to watch......

• Simon Crookston

★★★★ Watched by Simon Crookston 06 Sep, 2015

A fantastic central performance

• Wes Ball

★★★★★ Watched by Wes Ball 03 Sep, 2015 2

The Lives of Others is a masterfully plotted historical and fictional drama that never bores its audience with mediocre side plots that add nothing of substance. Instead, it intricately examines a Stasi investigator's own humanity, and suggests some rays of hope still shone on their own in the dark recesses of East Berlin. Hauptmann Wiesler is assigned to eavesdrop on a suspected opposer of the state's political party, yet he slowly shows more and more humanistic tendencies, and forms…

• Kyle Hoover

★★★★ Watched by Kyle Hoover 29 Aug, 2015

Well done German flick that shows how Germany was in the 1980s.

• Luis de los Santos

★★★★ Watched by Luis de los Santos 28 Aug, 2015 1

Este mes, el cineclub de mi pequeña ciudad decidió proyectar un ciclo con algunas de las más recientes películas ganadoras del Oscar a Mejor Película Extranjera.
    Esta semana fue turno de Das Leben der Anderen, aliás La Vida de los Otros.

Y tengo que admitirlo, era la película que más esperaba.
    Sobre todo por mi curiosidad por saber qué clase de película era la responsable de que La Academia le haya negado el Oscar a Guillermo del Toro por El…