• SJHoneywell

From 2006? Maybe.
    Hell of a story.

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

The meticulous character change did less for me than I anticipated, mostly because from the moment that Wiesler is assigned the job until his first act of humanity, you know he's going to sabotage the mission. After he changes course though, the film is an exceptional bit of cat and mouse, with a very heartfelt coda. Least valuable player: Martina Gedeck, who takes metaphorical showers like clockwork.

• Gilval Menezes

★★★★½ Added by Gilval Menezes

Is it possible to find love and compassion in the Nazi regime?
    This movie proves that it is. And it does it in a gorgeous and clever way.

• p -

★★★★½ Watched by p - 19 Nov, 2014

golly. the atmosphere is so on point. palpable. even the filming is grainy.

• ApeLincoln

★★★★ Watched by ApeLincoln 17 Nov, 2014

Interesting portrayal of the Stasi and the inner struggle of one of its members.

• Munir El-Omar

★★★★ Watched by Munir El-Omar 11 Nov, 2014

This film came as a surprise. The story is amazing but the way they shot the film, and the actors themselves were top notch too. Loved the setting, and the film explored a lot of worthwhile themes. Highly recommend this.

• Heljar Wilhelmsen

★★★★★ Watched by Heljar Wilhelmsen 09 Nov, 2014

In communist Eastern Germany, a Stasi agent carrying out the surveillance of a group of rebellious artists has a change of heart when he starts suspecting what the secret police has in store for the artists.

A brilliant reconstruction of East-Germany with an immaculate attention to detail. A deeply gripping tale about how a grey conformist party loyalist changes his way of thinking and discovers his human side. A very serious and grave look at the affairs and matters in…

• PitchingBear

★★★½ Watched by PitchingBear 30 Oct, 2014

A very human story set in an inhuman time and place. It somehow manages to be slow and plain but still thrilling. Wonderfully paced and performed, The Lives of Others is a rarely tasteful film.

• Tom Bannatyne

★★★★½ Watched by Tom Bannatyne 25 Oct, 2014

'They can destroy you too, despite your talent and your faith. Because they decide what we play, who is to act, and who can direct.'

The Lives of Others faces a problem that many films with highly emotional and controversial premises face, that its central character is one who ought not to elicit sympathy. The story of a Stasi officer being drawn deeper into the lives of the people on whom he spies, it would be easy to feel sorry…

• Quintijn Vos

★★★★★ Watched by Quintijn Vos 31 Oct, 2014 2

Wow.
    just wow.
    A breathtaking journey through the cold, paranoid streets of East-Germany.
    The last scene keeps playing in my head, and I don't know what to feel. It's a beautiful bittersweet ending, one that made me weep like a little girl.
    I wanna write about all these emotions I felt, the characters, some who were so love-able to me. But I can't. Das leben der Anderen is an extraordinary experience which shouldn't be told in a review, I can't even try to capture the greatness of this film.
    Do yourself a favor, watch Das leben der Anderen! afterwards, thank yourself.

• Richard Doyle

★★★★★ Rewatched by Richard Doyle 14 Oct, 2014

A really wonderful thriller that balances human drama with a meditation on what it's like to live under a state that controls all aspects of life. The ending is a little bit mawkish, but it's sort of earned after the events of the climax. It manages the delicate task of depicting a character who undergoes a transformation while subtly demonstrating that he had the seeds of it in him all along.

• TomKavanagh

★★★★ Rewatched by TomKavanagh 17 Oct, 2014

It had been some years since I’d seen The Lives of Others, so I was happy for the chance to revisit a film that I recalled very fondly. It did not disappoint. It works so well on so many fronts. As a taut, psychological thriller. As an insightful historical account of the disturbing surveillance practices of the Stasi in East Germany. And, most powerfully, as a character portrait of the intelligence officer, Gerd Wiesler, the film’s protagonist. When we first…