• Eboolas

★★★ Watched by Eboolas 11 Dec, 2014

Even though I always hope for an excellent experience when I watch a new movie, especially acclaimed German movies underwhelm or even create a deep sense of disappointment on a regular basis. I would not go as far and say that our movie culture was utterly disgraceful, but I have not experienced anything modern that was on a par with top tier international films. “The Lives of Others” is at least a first step in the right direction, but still,…

• Matthew Wooldridge

★★★½ Watched by Matthew Wooldridge 23 Apr, 2007 1

I think PAN'S LABRYINTH deserved the Oscar for best foreign film instead of this, but I can understand why this German film got it.

It’s a pretty damn solid drama. Set in the communist East Germany of 1982, the story follows a 'Stasi', a state police intelligence officer who poaches any citizen that stands against their regime. His target is a playwright, and so he sets to work bugging his home. This is where comparisons to THE CONVERSATION come into…

• androb78

★★★★ Watched by androb78 08 Dec, 2014

Lo dije de Bárbara y lo digo aquí multiplicado por diez: me produce una envidia infinita cómo los alemanes encaran su Historia y con qué sinceridad y sutileza saben ponerla en imágenes.

• Nathan Anderson

★★★★½ Watched by Nathan Anderson 06 Dec, 2014

• thebladeofyee

★★★★½ Added by thebladeofyee

I need a second viewing, because though the first one really made me ponder about how and what fascinating character development it has, I didn't fully grasp it well enough.

• Louisa

★★★★★ Watched by Louisa 05 Dec, 2014

After watching and reviewing a film from Eastern Germany's state run film industry, I decided that I should take in some other perspectives of the GDR. When it comes to the GDR/DDR, there are two films that people tend to remember - the bittersweet reunification comedy Goodbye Lenin! and The Lives of Others.

The film details the life of Wiesler, a Stasi (state police) agent, who spends his life carefully monitoring the population for the merest hint of resistance. Wiesler…

• Jacob Willinger

★★★★★ Watched by Jacob Willinger 05 Dec, 2014

A perfectly-paced, fine-tuned, emotional piece with an ending that made me both crack a smile and shed a tear. Satisfying and wonderful.

• Sean Wu

★★★★½ Watched by Sean Wu 27 Nov, 2014

*furiously unscrews lightswitch covers*

Great movies instill a viewer with a sense of wonder. "The Lives of Others" ended with me feeling a stone in my stomach: an awful sense of curiosity and paranoia, a sign of success in my book.

• dellamore

★★★★ Watched by dellamore 23 Nov, 2014

I'm not quite sure if a real STASI-agent who works for a government for so many years could change himself simply by reading some poems and hearing some music. It's idealized and naive story, but a very nice one.

• SJHoneywell

★★★★★ Added by SJHoneywell

Is this the best film
    From 2006? Maybe.
    Hell of a story.

• Eugene McCrann

★★★ Added by Eugene McCrann

The meticulous character change did less for me than I anticipated, mostly because from the moment that Wiesler is assigned the job until his first act of humanity, you know he's going to sabotage the mission. After he changes course though, the film is an exceptional bit of cat and mouse, with a very heartfelt coda. Least valuable player: Martina Gedeck, who takes metaphorical showers like clockwork.

• Gilval Menezes

★★★★½ Added by Gilval Menezes

Is it possible to find love and compassion in the Nazi regime?
    This movie proves that it is. And it does it in a gorgeous and clever way.