• Luis de los Santos

★★★★ Watched by Luis de los Santos 28 Aug, 2015 1

Este mes, el cineclub de mi pequeña ciudad decidió proyectar un ciclo con algunas de las más recientes películas ganadoras del Oscar a Mejor Película Extranjera.
    Esta semana fue turno de Das Leben der Anderen, aliás La Vida de los Otros.

Y tengo que admitirlo, era la película que más esperaba.
    Sobre todo por mi curiosidad por saber qué clase de película era la responsable de que La Academia le haya negado el Oscar a Guillermo del Toro por El…

• Teproc

★★ Rewatched by Teproc 23 Aug, 2015

Remembered this as very good, but on the rewatch it seemed overly sentimental, even melodramatic, and so much of the story is based on mere happenstance. The performances are good, and that first sequence is still pretty great, but the film really drags on after a certain point. Big disappointment.

• Lauren H

★★★★★ Watched by Lauren H 17 Aug, 2015

One of my favorite movies. I hadn't seen it in a while, so it was my pick to show to a few friends. It's so gratifying to see people affected by a beautiful movie that you love.

• Brian Stack

★★★★★ Added by Brian Stack

Gerd Wiesler is tasked to spy on playwright Georg Dreyman, who the Minister of Culture is convinced is a security threat despite his communist sympathies. However, the Minister has a hidden agenda: he fancies Dreyman's girlfriend, actress Christa-Marie Sieland, and uses the information supplied by Wiesler to blackmail her into a sexual relationship.

During his surveillance, Wiesler grows sympathetic to Dreyman and must choose between the country he loves and the friends who are unaware he exists.

The final, beautiful…

• Pyait Sone Kyi Myint

★★★★½ Watched by Pyait Sone Kyi Myint 14 Aug, 2015

Georg Dreyman: You know what Lenin said about Beethoven's Appassionata, 'If I keep listening to it, I won't finish the revolution.' Can anyone who has heard this music, I mean truly heard it, really be a bad person?

One of the most beautiful films with one of the most beautiful endings. Rest in peace, HGW XX/7.

• CinemaClown

★★★½ Watched by CinemaClown 09 Aug, 2015 1

Winner of Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, The Lives of Others has a very serene ambience when compared to other entries in the spy genre which are usually filled with chases, action or violence for this German drama tries to paint an authentic portrait of life in East Germany and is a silent observation of human nature.

Set in 1980s East Germany, the story of The Lives of Others (also known as Das Leben der Anderen) focuses on…

• Toby Leman

★★★ Added by Toby Leman

Ulrich Mühe makes this film. The other characters; meh, but he carries the whole show. What a man.

• thewayofcinema

★★★★½ Added by thewayofcinema

Ulrich Muhe, I bow to you. Just a brilliant film, one of those period pieces that feels like science fiction.

• Glen Grunau

★★★★ Watched by Glen Grunau 01 Aug, 2015

What we like about your plays,” he says, “is your belief that people can change. But in reality, people don’t change.”

This quote early in the film was a foreshadowing of the central theme and underlying question of this film: Which characters will have the courage to change and which will succumb to self-doubt, fear or the corruption of power, and remain unchanged? It was this essential question that gripped me for the duration and provided the greatest rewards in my viewing experience.

A bit of trivia - this film won the 2007 foreign-language Oscar over Guillermo del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth.

• Álvaro De França

★★★★★ Watched by Álvaro De França 28 Jul, 2015

Com uma narrativa tão envolvente e uma atuação singular do Ulrich Mühe foi impossível tirar os olhos da tela.

E agora toda aquela tirania me deixou curioso sobre como funcionava a Stasi, que antes não conhecia.

• Jason Ooi

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Ooi 27 Jul, 2015

Our protagonist in The Lives of Others is Gerd Wieler, a high ranking member of the Stasi secret police. His skills include wiring the apartments of iconoclasts, interrogating enemies of the state, and defending the general ideals of socialism.

His newest assignment is a piece of cake: a playwright and his actress girlfriend, who, despite being open advocates of the government, see their loyalties under scrutiny. With cold and skillful proficiency, he wires and bugs the artist’s home.

And so…

• Frederick Parra

★★★½ Watched by Frederick Parra 15 Jul, 2015

La primera parte es aburrida y un tanto lenta, debido a la forma en que se va armando todo.

Luego se convierte en un thriller bastante interesante, con actuaciones sólidas y que sabe meter el suspenso en los momentos claves, utilizando el trasfondo político de la férrea Stasi de la Alemania Oriental, quizás la policía política más efectiva que ha existido en la historia.

Bastante loable para ser el primer largometraje de Henckel von Donnersmarck.