• Voina

★★★★★ Added by Voina

In East Germany the secret police known as the Stasi would spy on everyone, from actual enemies to political foes and even innocent people who did nothing. In the wake of the NSA revelations this German film is as relevant to an American Audience as any other. A great movie with an unexpected twist.

• LoLoKC

★★★★★ Added by LoLoKC

A hauntingly good film. Lead German actor is amazing.

• stu geekofoz

★★★★★ Rewatched by stu geekofoz 13 Feb, 2015

Gets me every time.

• Chris Jensen

★★★★ Watched by Chris Jensen 08 Feb, 2015

A convinced Socialist and idealistic Stasi officer begins to surveil a couple, and what he hears begins to melt his icy heart.

Very well done, with a nice, light touch at the end. Recommended.

• Isa Crepaldi

★★★★½ Watched by Isa Crepaldi 02 Feb, 2015

I didn't like it at first, but after the second half of the movie I was completely involved.

• Colin

★★★★½ Watched by Colin 28 Jan, 2015

Quietly devastating. East German secret police agent Gerd Wiesler is very good at his job, doing what is asked of him without questioning why and to what purpose. One night he's invited out to see a play, where he watches from afar the handsome, successful playwright and his beautiful, talented girlfriend. Does jealousy and longing stir within Wiesler? He's then asked to spy on the playwright, Dreyman, to make sure, as he's told, that he's not involved in any subversive…

• Jason MD-P

★★★★½ Added by Jason MD-P

Absolutely brilliant.

• irene_at

★★★★ Watched by irene_at 18 Jan, 2015 1

Wir leben ohne hoffnung ..

• neue

★★★★½ Watched by neue 17 Jan, 2015

Brilliantly directed and more chilling than ever taking into account modern surveillance that is taken for granted.

• Robert Knaus

★★★★½ Added by Robert Knaus

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

Before the fall of the Berlin Wall at the end of the decade, the populace of the mid-1980's Germany was under constant surveillance from the secret police, or Stasi.

They had complete power to monitor the private lives of any citizen they suspected of Western leanings, or of rabble-rousing against the suffocating pall of paranoia and depression their constant arrests and detentions instilled in the people. One such surveillance specialist is Gerd Weisler (the late Ulrich Mühe, who tragically passed…

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★½ Watched by ShadetreeDad 11 Jan, 2015

I knew that it sucked in East Germany during those years. But to view the drab clothes, buildings, cars, and the stifling government, really made an impact on me. Perfect atmosphere and acting. Very engaging film. Highly recommended. Voted into my "top" films!

• onemarathon

★★★★ Rewatched by onemarathon 11 Jan, 2015

The Lives of Others is a subtle yet impressive spy film.

This isn't your typical escapist stuff, with exploding ballpoint pens and laser-equipped wristwatches. It also isn't The Spy Who Came in From the Cold... but it is closer to that sort of grim realism.

The Lives of Others is primarily about two men: Captain Wiesler of the Stasi (East German Secret Police), who does the surveillance; and playwright Georg Dreyman, who is suspected of having anti-East German views in…