• Adam

★★★★ Watched by Adam 27 Jul, 2014

A tense and intriguing film with an impressively understated and nuanced performance from the late Ulrich Muhe at it's centre.

• Fesapo

★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 28 Dec, 2006

84/100

• Brett the Wiese

★★★★ Watched by Brett the Wiese 19 Jul, 2014

Very slow-burn, unfortunately I wasn't in the right mood for it, but it was due back at the library soon. Maybe I'll rewatch it someday and like it more.

• Ross Whyte

★★★★ Watched by Ross Whyte 18 Jul, 2014

Watching such a wordy drama after midnight may have meant it didn't get my fullest attention, but nonetheless The Lives of Others shone through as an intense portrayal of both period, character and German efficiency.

• Tina Nikolova

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tina Nikolova 17 Jul, 2014

Even more powerful on a second viewing. I'm sure it won't be my last.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 11 Jul, 2014 2

"To think that people like you ruled a country"

This is a stunning debut in which the director creates an atmosphere which made me think that this really was 1984!!! it has excellent performances aided by some beautiful western classical music at the right moments...in certain aspects it reminded me of Harry Caul...

This winner of the Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards is a powerful look at lives crumbling and resurrected under a strict regime...

• Paul Lister

★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Lister 02 Jul, 2014

I heard they were remaking this film based around the News of the World hacking scandal.

• David

★★★½ Watched by David 01 Jul, 2014

"Las Vidas de Otros" es un filme alemán de 2006, que narra la historia del Capitán del Ministerio de Seguridad Estatal (Stasi) Gerd Wiesler durante finales de la Guerra Fría en Alemania. Wiesler es conocido por ser un experto en métodos de interrogación, haciendo que "rebeldes" entre estos artistas y escritores, que estén en contra del partido socialista, sean chantajeados, torturados psicologicamente, y sus carreras sean arruinadas a menos que suelten cualquier información que pueda dar información al extranjero sobre…

• JasonWhy

★★★★★ Added by JasonWhy

HGWXX/7

• Blots

★★★★½ Watched by Blots 23 Jun, 2014 2

Meticulous, and incredibly sensitive without being sentimental.

None of the film’s posters do it justice.

• GregoryK

★★★★½ Added by GregoryK

Rewatched this last week. It was every bit as amazing as I remembered when I saw it in the theater without any expectations. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

• Jørgen Alvestad

★★★★½ Watched by Jørgen Alvestad 14 Jun, 2014

What an excellent film! Ulrich Mühe exceptionally portrays a Stasi officer assigned to spy on a suspected Western friendly playwright by placing microphones all over his apartment and listening in on everything that happens in his life. Though the two never actually meet, Mühe's character forms a strong connection with the playwright which makes him question what he's doing. It's a really moving and emotional portrayal of interhuman relationships in the old DDR, but it's something that still relates today. And that ending though, really felt a lump in my throat there.