• funsohng

Added by funsohng

This gripping thriller-drama plays with human emotions in an expert fashion; by the time The Lives of Others's credits roll, it will have touched your life as well.

• Carlos Rodríguez

★★★★★ Watched by Carlos Rodríguez 19 Aug, 2010

Set in East Berlin in the 1980s during the Cold War, this is a brilliantly made, perfectly slowly paced, thrilling, and, in every single aspect, a remarkable film. The plot doesn't have many characters or locations but everything was in its right place and magnificently directed and that resulted in a compelling and completely absorbing motion picture. The acting was superb, in particular Ulrich Mühe, who didn't need to speak much in order to deliver one of the most mesmerizing…

• Pedro Cinemaxunga

★★★★ Watched by Pedro Cinemaxunga 15 Aug, 2014

I really regret postponing this movie for so long.

• Diego Garrido

½ Added by Diego Garrido

Aburrida hasta decir basta. 2 veces.

• John

★★★★ Watched by John 10 Aug, 2014

Very solid, well-constructed film about a very interesting period of Germany's history. Weird to think it's only been 24-25 years since Germany reunified.

• Sean Balanger

★★★★ Watched by Sean Balanger 03 Aug, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Adam

★★★★ Watched by Adam 27 Jul, 2014

A tense and intriguing film with an impressively understated and nuanced performance from the late Ulrich Muhe at it's centre.

• Fesapo

★★★★ Watched by Fesapo 28 Dec, 2006

84/100

• Brett the Wiese

★★★ Watched by Brett the Wiese 19 Jul, 2014

Very slow-burn, unfortunately I wasn't in the right mood for it, but it was due back at the library soon. Maybe I'll rewatch it someday and like it more.

• Ross Whyte

★★★★ Watched by Ross Whyte 18 Jul, 2014

Watching such a wordy drama after midnight may have meant it didn't get my fullest attention, but nonetheless The Lives of Others shone through as an intense portrayal of both period, character and German efficiency.

• Tina Nikolova

★★★★★ Rewatched by Tina Nikolova 17 Jul, 2014

Even more powerful on a second viewing. I'm sure it won't be my last.

• Varghese Eapen

★★★★★ Watched by Varghese Eapen 11 Jul, 2014 2

"To think that people like you ruled a country"

This is a stunning debut in which the director creates an atmosphere which made me think that this really was 1984!!! it has excellent performances aided by some beautiful western classical music at the right moments...in certain aspects it reminded me of Harry Caul...

This winner of the Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards is a powerful look at lives crumbling and resurrected under a strict regime...