• Hayley Woodward

★★★★ Added by Hayley Woodward

This film captures the bleakness of East German life through the eyes of a Stasi officer. Genuinely emotional and heartbreaking, I sometimes found the score repetitive and the drama a bit overdone at a few moments. Beautiful otherwise.

• Rick Burin

★★★★ Watched by Rick Burin 17 May, 2015 1

This is probably the most widely-praised film I'd never seen (except Fury Road, but that only came out about eight minutes ago), so I thought I better finally get around to it.

It’s a brilliant story, brilliantly told, in which a security service operative (Ulrich Mühe) in mid-'80s East Germany is asked to spy on a renowned playwright (Sebastian Koch) - apparently loyal to the communist state - and finds his blind loyalty to his paymasters severely tested. While it…

• Rocío Pérez

★★★★ Watched by Rocío Pérez 14 May, 2015

It was amazing. The ending was perfect.

• Marcos Araujo

★★★★★ Watched by Marcos Araujo 13 May, 2015

Extraordinário.

• Stacey Bates

★★★ Watched by Stacey Bates 07 May, 2015

The fiction-based-on-fact premise of this plot is spine-chilling. I learned vaguely about the Stasi in school at some point, but I had no idea that the citizen to Stasi informer ratio was so ridiculously close. Totalitarian society is just an entertaining movie idea for something like 'The Hunger Games' for many of us in democratic countries, and I think films like this are really important to remind us that these governments were and still are very real and VERY terrifying.…

• 11L4U

★★★ Added by 11L4U

"too clean" but really useful if you can't imagine/have never heard of living in the DDR

• nikae

★★★★★ Added by nikae

A belief which makes a life worth. Someone who makes other to live his own life.

• theresapham27

★★★★★ Added by theresapham27

one of my favourite movies of all time. it's deeply moving, and has a unique storyline and cinematography. it also has one of the best endings of all time. I'm a big fan of Florian, and this movie is even more memorable to me following the untimely death of Ulrich Muhe before the film could win its awards. Martina Gedeck is also wonderful in it, and i suppose because of that, i usually watch this movie with the Baader Meinhof Complex. overall, a pretty perfect film.

• TASSJA

★★★★½ Watched by TASSJA 28 Dec, 2014

the perfect ending scene IMO

• Mikey Stough

★★★★ Watched by Mikey Stough 21 Apr, 2015

I went into this film, from what I had read previously, expecting a bit of a political thriller. What I ended up getting was a beautifully bleak portrait of life in late cold war East Berlin. While this film can function as a dark drama, with focus of the duality of man and connection between human beings, I think if that was the main purpose the film falls short. However, the film succeeds as a portrayal of dark times and…

• Sonia Cerca

★★★★★ Watched by Sonia Cerca 18 Apr, 2015

Danke, danke, danke für dieses Meisterstück! The Lives of Others is many things. It is a wonderful film, full of emotions and poetry. It is an example that must be followed by modern cinema, because it is possible to craft a magnificent film without special effects, violence and banalities. It is the kind of film what captures your attention from the first moment, and keeps you interested the whole time.

It is absolutely stunning to witness the process of transformation…

• Jack Godwin

★★★½ Watched by Jack Godwin 13 Apr, 2015

The outstanding script and performances is enough to call this a classic, but what I really found interesting was how it played with ideas of audience, art and reality. Maybe someone smarter than me should write an essay about that