• Jason MD-P

★★★★½ Added by Jason MD-P

Absolutely brilliant.

• irene_at

★★★★ Watched by irene_at 18 Jan, 2015 1

Wir leben ohne hoffnung ..

• neue

★★★★½ Watched by neue 17 Jan, 2015

Brilliantly directed and more chilling than ever taking into account modern surveillance that is taken for granted.

• Robert Knaus

★★★★½ Added by Robert Knaus

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• ShadetreeDad

★★★★½ Watched by ShadetreeDad 11 Jan, 2015

I knew that it sucked in East Germany during those years. But to view the drab clothes, buildings, cars, and the stifling government, really made an impact on me. Perfect atmosphere and acting. Very engaging film. Highly recommended. Voted into my "top" films!

• onemarathon

★★★★ Rewatched by onemarathon 11 Jan, 2015

The Lives of Others is a subtle yet impressive spy film.

This isn't your typical escapist stuff, with exploding ballpoint pens and laser-equipped wristwatches. It also isn't The Spy Who Came in From the Cold... but it is closer to that sort of grim realism.

The Lives of Others is primarily about two men: Captain Wiesler of the Stasi (East German Secret Police), who does the surveillance; and playwright Georg Dreyman, who is suspected of having anti-East German views in…

• Matt Thomas

★★★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 10 Jan, 2015

A quietly compelling and important film which, sadly, just seems to get more relevant each year.

Given events currently happening around the world (NSA/Snowden, North Korea, Charlie Hebdo etc) this film helps to re-enforce the notion of how important freedom of expression is.

To quote Stonewall: "people perform better when they can be themselves".

Je Suis Charlie.

• Caitlin Russell

★★★★★ Added by Caitlin Russell

This is hands down the best acting performance I've ever seen. Everything about this film touched me deeply, as well as it being about a subject that is truly fascinating. As someone who is interested in editing, this film editor was definitely on the ball. I will applaud this film for the rest of my life. It is truly spectacular.

• J. Leonard Dietz

★★★★½ Added by J. Leonard Dietz

Ulrich Mühe gives an incredible performance as a member of the secret police as he tails a playwright who he suspects is working against the communist government of East Germany. His understated, subtle character development is at once readily apparent and deceivingly subtle.

The film does not shy away from showing the dreadful state of affairs found east of the Berlin Wall. An absolute must-see for history buffs and lovers of gripping cinema.

• Iestyn Lloyd

★★★★½ Watched by Iestyn Lloyd 08 Jan, 2015

It's a rare thing to find a film that gets better and better with each act.

• Daniel Mármol

★★★★ Watched by Daniel Mármol 02 Jan, 2015

Das Leben der Anderen es posiblemente uno de los mejores thriller con uno de los guiones más inteligentes que he visto, que a pesar de que la primera hora de presentación de los personajes sea lenta y muy poco entendible, pero que cuando se sabe de qué va la historia se hace casi imposible no disfrutarla. Los últimos minutos de metraje creo que son los responsables de colocar a esta película alemana en un reconomiento mundial bastante notable.

"Estoy pensando…

• boddabing

★★★★½ Watched by boddabing 31 Dec, 2013

This film kept coming up as the one to see all over the place so I gave it a whirl and was very very impressed. Superbly acted and a great if shocking ending. Highly recommended.