• Cevin Moore

★★★½ Rewatched by Cevin Moore 23 Jul, 2014

A superb slab of satire about the disposable nature of everything manufactured and also the "everybody out" ethos of the trade unions that was pretty much on the nose in 1951 and even more relevant in today's "free upgrade" culture.

The look of our main protagonist in the climactic scene (a man that wanted nothing more than to help people) left alone with all his dreams crushed by the status quo in a large crowd is still a beautifully poignant moment in an otherwise lightweight comedy. It's moments like these that cemented the reputations of both Alec Guinness and Ealing Studios.

• KerryMaxwell

★★★★ Rewatched by KerryMaxwell 17 Jul, 2014

"Why can't you scientists leave things alone? What about my bit of washing when there's no washing to do?" – Mrs. Watson (Edie Martin)

Entertaining and effective satire that features Alec Guinness as Sidney Stratton, a bumbling scientist intent on producing a form of cloth that won't wear out, but Capital and Labor conspire to suppress what they fear will be their undoing. This invention doesn't quite work out the way he planned, but Sydney would go on to work for MI6.

There are two outstanding bits of sound design; Sydney's lab contraption, and Joan Greenwood's voice.

• loureviews

★★★★½ Rewatched by loureviews 11 May, 2004

This film concerns young inventor Sidney Stratton (another superb role from Alec Guinness) who is, without his factory bosses knowing, working on a new fabric which will never destruct, never need mending, never need cleaning. A wonder fabric which will revolutionise the world.

The mill owners get greedy and think of the immense profits they will make putting the wonder material into production; while the workers revolt at the thought of their standard job roles being eroded. The plethora of…

• Declan

★★★★ Added by Declan

What's it about? Sidney Stratton (Alec Guinness) is an eccentric scientist who invents an indestructible new fabric that never needs washed. But not everyone in the textile industry is as happy with his invention as he is.

Is it any good? This is probably the most complex film produced from the famous Ealing Studios during the post-war years, being a curious mix of sci-fi, satire and social commentary. Key to this is the astute observation of the reaction to Sidney's…

• Graham Williamson

★★★★★ Rewatched by Graham Williamson 27 Apr, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Alex Leadbeater

★★★ Watched by Alex Leadbeater 20 Apr, 2014

Any film that deals with finance-endorsed prostitution with such assurance has to has to be doing something both daring and right. Although it may elicit chuckles rather than all-out laughs, The Man In The White Suit makes up for it with some biting satire that still rings true today.

• Richard Iliff

★★★ Watched by Richard Iliff 07 Apr, 2014

The Man in the White Suit is a peculiar film. When I heard the premise was about a guy who invents a fabric that never wears out and never has to be cleaned, I thought to myself, this is the most underwhelming science fiction plot of all time. But about half way into the movie the real purpose begins to show itself. Sure, an indestructible suit wouldn't cure world hunger or get us to Mars, but it might just crash…

• Abdil Ali

★★★★ Watched by Abdil Ali 19 Mar, 2014

It takes its time, but it really is a wonderful film.

• Niklas Larsson

★★★½ Watched by Niklas Larsson 02 Mar, 2014

Lovely, simple politic film, workers and capitalists hand in hand against science/progress. Ealing studio at its best!

• Jason Wray

★★★★ Watched by Jason Wray 28 Feb, 2014

Compelling story, even if it is full of ungrateful luddites. I'm not quite sure I can suss out what the contemporary response would have been: progress or anti-progress? I daresay it was no contest to these modern eyes, but was it so clear cut in 1951? I should damn well hope so, and yet...

My appreciation for Guinness continues to grow with every new role—he is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He plays the idealistic naive here, giving it life enough that his character doesn't fall into the increasing shrillness of everyone around him.

• Goodwin

★★★ Watched by Goodwin 31 Jan, 2014

Well done satire of capital and labor probably seemed funnier before the evisceration of the labor movement and full-bore embrace of all technological advances regardless of social impact. Not flawless, but quite enjoyable.

• Alec Price

★★★★ Watched by Alec Price 26 Jan, 2014

Very entertaining capitalist satire from Ealing Studios, with Alec Guinness on top form and Alexander Mackendrick directing with trademark deadpan wit. Amidst the slapstick, there's something resoundingly stirring about the depiction of individualism in the face of mob rule.