• Richard Iliff

★★★ Watched by Richard Iliff 07 Apr, 2014

The Man in the White Suit is a peculiar film. When I heard the premise was about a guy who invents a fabric that never wears out and never has to be cleaned, I thought to myself, this is the most underwhelming science fiction plot of all time. But about half way into the movie the real purpose begins to show itself. Sure, an indestructible suit wouldn't cure world hunger or get us to Mars, but it might just crash…

• Abdil Ali

★★★★ Watched by Abdil Ali 19 Mar, 2014

It takes its time, but it really is a wonderful film.

• Niklas Larsson

★★★½ Watched by Niklas Larsson 02 Mar, 2014

Lovely, simple politic film, workers and capitalists hand in hand against science/progress. Ealing studio at its best!

• Jason Wray

★★★★ Watched by Jason Wray 28 Feb, 2014

Compelling story, even if it is full of ungrateful luddites. I'm not quite sure I can suss out what the contemporary response would have been: progress or anti-progress? I daresay it was no contest to these modern eyes, but was it so clear cut in 1951? I should damn well hope so, and yet...

My appreciation for Guinness continues to grow with every new role—he is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. He plays the idealistic naive here, giving it life enough that his character doesn't fall into the increasing shrillness of everyone around him.

• Goodwin

★★★ Watched by Goodwin 31 Jan, 2014

Well done satire of capital and labor probably seemed funnier before the evisceration of the labor movement and full-bore embrace of all technological advances regardless of social impact. Not flawless, but quite enjoyable.

• Alec Price

★★★★ Watched by Alec Price 26 Jan, 2014

Very entertaining capitalist satire from Ealing Studios, with Alec Guinness on top form and Alexander Mackendrick directing with trademark deadpan wit. Amidst the slapstick, there's something resoundingly stirring about the depiction of individualism in the face of mob rule.

• DanMyers

★★★★★ Added by DanMyers

Wonderful and whimsical story about a scientist committed to bettering peoples lives, but who's innovation is kept suppressed by corporate titans and union workers committed to maintaining the status quo.

• Bryan Colley

★★★★★ Added by Bryan Colley

I was lucky enough to get the Alec Guinness Collection for xmas and watched this terrific Ealing comedy that's obviously done on a shoestring but is high British humor at its best. Recommended. Script by John Dighton (Kind Hearts & Coronets, Roman Holiday), director Alexander MacKendrick (Sweet Smell of Success), and playwright Roger MacDougall (The Mouse That Roared).

• Baz Film

★★★ Watched by Baz Film 01 Jan, 2014

I watched it. It made me chuckle somewhat. But it didn't have a lasting affect.

• jddunlop

★★★ Watched by jddunlop 19 Nov, 2013

Respect the chemistry... and a charmingly gormless Guinness.

• Isaac Lee

★★★★ Watched by Isaac Lee 24 Dec, 2013

An Ealing Studio’s satire on capital and labor’s aligned suppression towards the revolutionary invention of an unbreakable and dirt-free fabric. A Cambridge graduate (Guinness) is debarred from a short-sighted garment manufacturer (Gough) to proceed his research, but with the help of another industrialist’s daughter (Greenwood), he is financed by her father and unprecedentedly invents the fabric, which he thinks can benefit all mankind but both the workmen and their high-handed authority figures say otherwise, then a series of cat-and-mouse games…

• Brent Paton

★★★½ Added by Brent Paton

Great comedy. Should be remade today with the product being a computer or mobile device.