• wonderlanding

★★★★★ Added by wonderlanding

It's quaint, British, and charmingly slapstick. But it's more than that.

On the surface, it's a rather pointless tale. However, it's one of the deepest films out there. And takes a lot of thinking about when you're not laughing.

• thenextreel

★★★★★ Watched by thenextreel 22 Jan, 2015

“I think I’ve succeeded in the co-polymerization of amino acid residues and carbohydrate molecules, both containing ionic groups! It’s really perfectly simple."

Ealing Studios comedies, particularly the ones we’ve been talking about, have all had a bit of an anti-establishment feel to them but “The Man in the White Suit” feels like they were trying to something a bit more with it. The film is fascinating satirical comedy looking at the relationship between the factory owners and the union laborers…

• Ron Spencer

★★★ Watched by Ron Spencer 12 Nov, 2014

Lots of pre-Gilliamesque interiors. Guinness does a dreamy eyed protagonist, almost cartoonishly one-dimensional. All determination and pluck. The restored print looks amazing. The most polite and restrained slapstick I've ever seen. A social satire slapstick ballet. Has a vaguely Moliere-feeling resolution, a deus ex machina literally woven into the story. Great British acting faces from the forties and fifties. Gadgets. The working class. The ruling class. Sound effects. Close ups. Night time streets empty for perfunctory chases. Double crosses galore. For fans of Sellers, Gilliam, and all actors whose first name became Sir.

• Lowbacca

★★ Watched by Lowbacca 22 Sep, 2014

The film is basically the idea of someone (Alec Guinness) inventing a fabric that never gets dirty or damaged. It falls into the same sort of problems that often get talked about with things like a car that runs on water and the like. My real problem with it is that it just feels so tiresome, the movie seems to go through the same motions over and over. I like the concept, but the film isn't nearly as durable as the fabric is supposed to be. Perhaps there's something fitting in that.

• DavidKleinSucks

★★★½ Watched by DavidKleinSucks 20 Sep, 2014

Benjamin Frankel's hurried and manic main titles FTW.
    Library not having said score FTL.

• Dan Gaertner

★★★★★ Watched by Dan Gaertner 14 Sep, 2014

Alexander Mackendrick's whip-smart "The Man in the White Suit" is the type of film that would provide you with a killer college paper. You can read all kinds of things in the picture.

• Glorbes

★★★★ Watched by Glorbes 11 Sep, 2014

Ealing Studios made a legendary run of comedies in the fifties, many of which starred Alec Guinness, and this is my first one of them!

What struck me about The Man in the White Suit is how satirical and biting it is...both labour and capital are outraged by an invention that Guinness's character (a young and eccentric scientist named Stratton) creates that may be too high quality to allow them to exploit the textile market. As a result, the old…

• kcooley

★★★★ Watched by kcooley 30 Aug, 2014

Brilliant Ealing Comedy, satire about technology and capitalism with Alec Guinness as the scientist.

• Mark C

★★★★ Rewatched by Mark C 30 Aug, 2014

The joy of Ealing comedies is they're so often considered to be the domain of homely traditional English values, all quaint and innocuous. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth, and the very best of Ealing's output were trenchant affairs that took an obvious delight in their scalpel like incisions into the underbelly beyond their seemingly cosy appearance.

Alexander Mackendrick, American born and raised in Scotland, was perhaps more disposed than most in turning a critical almost outsider…

• Roman Colombo

★★★½ Watched by Roman Colombo 05 Aug, 2014

A classic Alec Guinness comedy, and he's quite wonderful in it. I don't have much to say. It's just a delightful little film.

• Cevin Moore

★★★½ Rewatched by Cevin Moore 23 Jul, 2014

A superb slab of satire about the disposable nature of everything manufactured and also the "everybody out" ethos of the trade unions that was pretty much on the nose in 1951 and even more relevant in today's "free upgrade" culture.

The look of our main protagonist in the climactic scene (a man that wanted nothing more than to help people) left alone with all his dreams crushed by the status quo in a large crowd is still a beautifully poignant moment in an otherwise lightweight comedy. It's moments like these that cemented the reputations of both Alec Guinness and Ealing Studios.

• Kerry Maxwell

★★★★ Rewatched by Kerry Maxwell 17 Jul, 2014

"Why can't you scientists leave things alone? What about my bit of washing when there's no washing to do?" – Mrs. Watson (Edie Martin)

Entertaining and effective satire that features Alec Guinness as Sidney Stratton, a bumbling scientist intent on producing a form of cloth that won't wear out, but Capital and Labor conspire to suppress what they fear will be their undoing. This invention doesn't quite work out the way he planned, but Sydney would go on to work for MI6.

There are two outstanding bits of sound design; Sydney's lab contraption, and Joan Greenwood's voice.