• SJHoneywell

Proves comedy chops.

1001plus.blogspot.com/2015/07/planned-obsolescence.html

• Flickers in Time

★★★★ Watched by Flickers in Time 21 Jul, 2015

This biting satire might be my favorite of the Ealing comedies.

flickersintime.com/movie-reviews/the-man-in-the-white-suit-1951/

• Jordi Sánchez-Navarro

★★★★ Watched by Jordi Sánchez-Navarro 20 Jul, 2015

Comedia + drama + ciencia ficción + cine social + Alec Guiness y un puñado de genios más...
    So British.

• Jumpingfrog

★★★★½ Rewatched by Jumpingfrog 12 Jul, 2015

Although undoubtedly one of the best films to come out of Ealing Studios, nigh perfectly played directed and written, and very much a defining Ealing comedy The Man In The White Suit despite quite a lot of slapstick isn't actually one of the funniest films in the series, but is, with it's dark satanic mills, industrial suppression, poverty, striking workers and social comment, one of the darkest. Alec Guinness's Sydney Stratton isn't so much the knight in shining armour as…

• Robert

★★★ Watched by Robert 27 Jun, 2015

A very relevant film even today, presenting the great curse of innovation. It's a shame to think that the world isn't all that it could be due to greed, and it makes you wonder just what kind of amazing things may have been created over the years that have been ultimately denied us.

• Jason Ratigan

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Ratigan 01 Jul, 2015

Thought provoking and funny. Very funny.

• James Peter Cox

★★★★½ Watched by James Peter Cox 13 Jun, 2015

Trumpeted as a classic and happy to agree.

• Matt J.

★★★★½ Watched by Matt J. 01 Jun, 2015 1

It's a simple story about a brilliant scientist (Guinness) who, while working in a textile factory, invents a 'perfect' fiber that cannot be soiled. The only problem is that nobody else seems to share his enthusiasm for his invention.

This classic comedy is just as depressing as it is funny. The satire here is painfully bleak, due to its realistic premise. It seems like something could just as easily occur today, if it hasn't already. For instance, how many people…

• Jonathan Gadd

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 27 Mar, 2015

Not only was this an amusing comedy, it was also clever satire on scientific discoveries. Very good

• Jack Caulfield

★★★ Watched by Jack Caulfield 26 Mar, 2015

A typically erudite Ealing satire, The Man in the White Suit is one of those films I've always wanted to watch (probably due to it's iconic poster) but never actually got round to it. Thankfully though BBC iPlayer understood my burden and so today I got to witness Alec Guinness running around London with a brilliantly white suit. That's about it in terms of plot, and while there are a few nice moments of slapstick, White Suit is about as interesting as it's poster in the end. At least I can say I've seen it now though.

• Matt Thomas

★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 22 Mar, 2015

Guinness does fine, but for me this isn't of the same quality of some of the really great Ealing comedies. The plot is a bit ho-hum. You could imagine Hitchcock turning this into something more special.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 06 Mar, 2015

The film has some charm, thanks to Alec Guinness, of course, but jokes are sparse (these Ealing comedies seem to get increasingly subtle with the humor), and the satire doesn't really land (many different parties are concerned about the economic and social impacts of a revolutionary invention....um....take that, British society!)