• Jonathan Gadd

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 27 Mar, 2015

Not only was this an amusing comedy, it was also clever satire on scientific discoveries. Very good

• Jack Caulfield

★★★ Watched by Jack Caulfield 26 Mar, 2015

A typically erudite Ealing satire, The Man in the White Suit is one of those films I've always wanted to watch (probably due to it's iconic poster) but never actually got round to it. Thankfully though BBC iPlayer understood my burden and so today I got to witness Alec Guinness running around London with a brilliantly white suit. That's about it in terms of plot, and while there are a few nice moments of slapstick, White Suit is about as interesting as it's poster in the end. At least I can say I've seen it now though.

• Matt Thomas

★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 22 Mar, 2015

Guinness does fine, but for me this isn't of the same quality of some of the really great Ealing comedies. The plot is a bit ho-hum. You could imagine Hitchcock turning this into something more special.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 06 Mar, 2015

The film has some charm, thanks to Alec Guinness, of course, but jokes are sparse (these Ealing comedies seem to get increasingly subtle with the humor), and the satire doesn't really land (many different parties are concerned about the economic and social impacts of a revolutionary invention....um....take that, British society!)

• Ruth

★★★½ Watched by Ruth 02 Mar, 2015

The brilliantly incisive and timeless The Man in the White Suit is a streamlined fable on the sobering cause and effect follies of capitalism. The innocent idyllic innovations of the aloof genius are pitted against the systemic purr of world-weary reality (which don't just audaciously unite the vested interests of capital and labour, but additionally with a thematic crescendo the general postwar community desires for the understandable comforts of mundanity), and are played out through unexplainable lab infestations (the recurring…

• lobsta

★★★★ Watched by lobsta 08 Feb, 2015

Absolutely no clue as to why I've ended up with the film, I can only assume that I picked it up in a Alec Guinness induced madness. A British comedy with Guinness in lead as an inspired inventor who slyly invents a material and subsequent perfect suit that will never stain or damage, forcing ramifications with industry and unions alike. It's an interesting look at consumerist culture in a light and enjoyable way that never resorts to dumbing down or…

• Ben Lott

★★★ Watched by Ben Lott 26 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The Man in the White Suit is the story of a man who works for a clothing manufacturer who invents a fabric that does not wear down and will not stain. He views it as a brilliant discovery that will change the world, but his bosses view it as a brilliant discovery that will put them out of business. The film is actually a very unique look at the cause and effect of progress in industry. I didn't seem to…

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 26 Jan, 2015

Before the socially awkward scientist with the crazy-brilliant ideas became a Disney staple in the 1960s (and revived in THE IMITATION GAME in the 20-teens), Alec Guinness established the template in THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT. There's good humor and some keen observation here, but the pacing doesn't quite work and the movie drags a bit.

• magnetrap

★★★★ Added by magnetrap

Funny, eccentric fantasy satire. Great dialogue. I haven't seen much early Alec Guiness and he's such an interesting character in this. Love the music. And all the chemistry scenes. Very entertaining.

• wonderlanding

★★★★★ Added by wonderlanding

It's quaint, British, and charmingly slapstick. But it's more than that.

On the surface, it's a rather pointless tale. However, it's one of the deepest films out there. And takes a lot of thinking about when you're not laughing.

• thenextreel

★★★★★ Watched by thenextreel 22 Jan, 2015

“I think I’ve succeeded in the co-polymerization of amino acid residues and carbohydrate molecules, both containing ionic groups! It’s really perfectly simple."

Ealing Studios comedies, particularly the ones we’ve been talking about, have all had a bit of an anti-establishment feel to them but “The Man in the White Suit” feels like they were trying to something a bit more with it. The film is fascinating satirical comedy looking at the relationship between the factory owners and the union laborers…

• Ron Spencer

★★★ Watched by Ron Spencer 12 Nov, 2014

Lots of pre-Gilliamesque interiors. Guinness does a dreamy eyed protagonist, almost cartoonishly one-dimensional. All determination and pluck. The restored print looks amazing. The most polite and restrained slapstick I've ever seen. A social satire slapstick ballet. Has a vaguely Moliere-feeling resolution, a deus ex machina literally woven into the story. Great British acting faces from the forties and fifties. Gadgets. The working class. The ruling class. Sound effects. Close ups. Night time streets empty for perfunctory chases. Double crosses galore. For fans of Sellers, Gilliam, and all actors whose first name became Sir.