• Robert

★★★ Watched by Robert 27 Jun, 2015

A very relevant film even today, presenting the great curse of innovation. It's a shame to think that the world isn't all that it could be due to greed, and it makes you wonder just what kind of amazing things may have been created over the years that have been ultimately denied us.

• Jason Ratigan

★★★★½ Watched by Jason Ratigan 01 Jul, 2015

Thought provoking and funny. Very funny.

• James Peter Cox

★★★★½ Watched by James Peter Cox 13 Jun, 2015

Trumpeted as a classic and happy to agree.

• Matt J.

★★★★½ Watched by Matt J. 01 Jun, 2015 2

It's a simple story about a brilliant scientist (Guinness) who, while working in a textile factory, invents a 'perfect' fiber that cannot be soiled. The only problem is that nobody else seems to share his enthusiasm for his invention.

This classic comedy is just as depressing as it is funny. The satire here is painfully bleak, due to its realistic premise. It seems like something could just as easily occur today, if it hasn't already. For instance, how many people…

• Jonathan Gadd

★★★★ Watched by Jonathan Gadd 27 Mar, 2015

Not only was this an amusing comedy, it was also clever satire on scientific discoveries. Very good

• Jack Caulfield

★★★ Watched by Jack Caulfield 26 Mar, 2015

A typically erudite Ealing satire, The Man in the White Suit is one of those films I've always wanted to watch (probably due to it's iconic poster) but never actually got round to it. Thankfully though BBC iPlayer understood my burden and so today I got to witness Alec Guinness running around London with a brilliantly white suit. That's about it in terms of plot, and while there are a few nice moments of slapstick, White Suit is about as interesting as it's poster in the end. At least I can say I've seen it now though.

• Matt Thomas

★★★ Rewatched by Matt Thomas 22 Mar, 2015

Guinness does fine, but for me this isn't of the same quality of some of the really great Ealing comedies. The plot is a bit ho-hum. You could imagine Hitchcock turning this into something more special.

• Ryan Fischer

★★★ Watched by Ryan Fischer 06 Mar, 2015

The film has some charm, thanks to Alec Guinness, of course, but jokes are sparse (these Ealing comedies seem to get increasingly subtle with the humor), and the satire doesn't really land (many different parties are concerned about the economic and social impacts of a revolutionary invention....um....take that, British society!)

• Ruth

★★★½ Watched by Ruth 02 Mar, 2015

The brilliantly incisive and timeless The Man in the White Suit is a streamlined fable on the sobering cause and effect follies of capitalism. The innocent idyllic innovations of the aloof genius are pitted against the systemic purr of world-weary reality (which don't just audaciously unite the vested interests of capital and labour, but additionally with a thematic crescendo the general postwar community desires for the understandable comforts of mundanity), and are played out through unexplainable lab infestations (the recurring…

• lobsta

★★★★ Watched by lobsta 08 Feb, 2015

Absolutely no clue as to why I've ended up with the film, I can only assume that I picked it up in a Alec Guinness induced madness. A British comedy with Guinness in lead as an inspired inventor who slyly invents a material and subsequent perfect suit that will never stain or damage, forcing ramifications with industry and unions alike. It's an interesting look at consumerist culture in a light and enjoyable way that never resorts to dumbing down or…

• Ben Lott

★★★ Watched by Ben Lott 26 Jan, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The Man in the White Suit is the story of a man who works for a clothing manufacturer who invents a fabric that does not wear down and will not stain. He views it as a brilliant discovery that will change the world, but his bosses view it as a brilliant discovery that will put them out of business. The film is actually a very unique look at the cause and effect of progress in industry. I didn't seem to…

• Michael

★★★ Watched by Michael 26 Jan, 2015

Before the socially awkward scientist with the crazy-brilliant ideas became a Disney staple in the 1960s (and revived in THE IMITATION GAME in the 20-teens), Alec Guinness established the template in THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT. There's good humor and some keen observation here, but the pacing doesn't quite work and the movie drags a bit.