• sdb_1970

★★★★★ Rewatched by sdb_1970 22 Nov, 2014

Part 1 of a double feature revisiting the existential angst/malaise of my generation in the waning years of the 1990s ... On 70", BD 15 years later, The Matrix is still one of the closest-to-perfect sci-fi actions films of all time. And having just sat through The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1A(1)(i)(a), I have relatively fond memories of the much-maligned two-part sequel, Reloaded/Revolutions. Considering a line of dialogue by Agent Smith in retrospect, maybe 1999 did represent the peak of Western Civilization after all.

• Kauri Singh

★★★★★ Added by Kauri Singh

Blue pill or Red pill?

• maskull

★★★★★ Rewatched by maskull 21 Nov, 2014

The only real problem with this movie is that it was so awesome and ground-breaking that everyone else ripped it off. Now when you watch it, some of the cool effects and visuals don't work as well as they used to because they've now been over done...but it doesn't really matter because this movie is still freaking amazing!

• Mohsen

★★★★½ Rewatched by Mohsen 21 Nov, 2014

I don't how exactly I was watching this before and somehow I even doubt if I really did watch this before! I could remember almost nothing from the last watch, so it made it as amazing as it is now.

• Travis Lytle

★★★★½ Rewatched by Travis Lytle 18 Nov, 2014 12

Perhaps the defining science fiction film of the 1990s, The Wachowski siblings' "The Matrix" is a genre marvel. With its bold aesthetic, layered narrative, and heady and classic themes and archetypes, the film is a strikingly visualized, fully imagined, and excitingly told piece of work. Combining a cerebral genre tale with an action-enhanced hero quest, "The Matrix" entertains, provokes, and completely engages.

Fifteen years after its original release, its story is ingrained in the pop culture canon. When a programmer/hacker…

• nowomannocry

★★★★★ Added by nowomannocry

Wow this film is awesome!

• thori

★★★★½ Rewatched by thori 18 Nov, 2014

Meine Fresse...ist DER immer noch Geil !!!!!

• Bill Shannon

★★★★½ Added by Bill Shannon

I never thought I could like a Keanu Reeves movie so much: this is an incredibly ambitious, eye-popping, dazzling sci-fi film that pulls off the rare (and I mean hardly EVER successful) feat of marrying dynamite special effects with a layered, thoughtful plot.

An alternate universe is skillfully and convincingly created, meant to inspire awe visually, but not to overshadow the complex, existentially mind-altering story.

Neo (Reeves) is sucked down a rabbit hole, so to speak, to a universe so…

• Paul Cryer

★★★★★ Rewatched by Paul Cryer 08 Nov, 2014

Still a great film. Pity about the follow ups, but The Matrix itself is a fantastically original film that entertains, makes you think and has plenty of action.

• Joey

★★★★½ Added by Joey

Dude... it's the Matrix.

• Andrew Nichols

★★★★★ Added by Andrew Nichols

Incredible.

• Jonny G

★★★★ Watched by Jonny G 05 Nov, 2014

So I have finally done it. I have finally seen "The Matrix". Sadly it was a little underwhelming. While I understand that back in 1999 this film would have blown my mind the same way that watching "Gravity" did last year. I just have seen so many technical films that this film can't even compare to. My other problem with the film was I thought it was an incredible mix of "Star Wars" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and since…