• Kace

★★★ Rewatched by Kace 01 Sep, 2014

I still don't get the big deal. This is a movie I think I came to too late.

• Mel S

★★ Watched by Mel S 03 Sep, 2007

Watch this with Rifftrax to realize how shit it really is.

• John Lane

★★★★★ Added by John Lane

There are many imitators, but only one original. Science Fiction movies this visionary are few and far between. Unfortunately, I fear the convoluted sequels to this movie may have tarnished the franchise's original promise.

• whatthehec_tor

★★★★½ Rewatched by whatthehec_tor 25 Aug, 2014

The very first movie theater I remember experiencing, I saw the Matrix at the age of 5 back in 1999. This movie still pulls me to my seat and never let's go. The movie kicks off at 100 mph and never lifts its foot off the gas pedal.

Action, and direction play into what makes this a modern classic in the action/sci-fi genre.

Coming from a guy who dislikes 3D, The Matrix is definitely a film worth re-releasing in IMAX 3D.

• RedDirect

★★★★½ Watched by RedDirect 28 Aug, 2014

A modern sci-fi classic that still has quite a bit going for it, even if it is no longer on the cutting edge of cinema special effects.

The movie is now undoubtedly a staple of the late 1990s, but I was surprised that a lot of the visual effects never looked particularly dated to me. Some of the script was fairly corny in places, but I thought the action was always really engaging and the special effects never really detracted…

• Maximilian Maintz

★★★★ Added by Maximilian Maintz

groß

• Ryster

★★★★★ Rewatched by Ryster 28 Aug, 2014

Ever since 'The Matrix' got released, Sci-fi films have had a lot to live up to. Films have copied but never surpassed 'The Matrix' and it feels like this film could have easily been released last month. The idea and concept is still so fresh and is one of the greatest a Sci-fi film has had.

Without giving too much away, Neo is a computer hacker who has wanted to find a meaning in his life for quite some time.…

• jintor

★★★ Watched by jintor 19 Aug, 2014

The Matrix is not a film that fully withstands the test of time; many of its special effects, revolutionary at the time, now feel dated, cheesy and almost criminally idiotic. The acting from almost everyone bar Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishburne feels sloppy (arguably deliberately on the part of Keanu), the dress sense is... absurd, and worst of all, the entire movie gives off this sense of simply trying too hard to be the cool kid in town - although,…

• Vero

★★★★ Watched by Vero 18 Aug, 2014

Am I on drugs or something?

Seriously, it feels like the candies I ate while watching this had some sort of drug hidden inside them and now I am hallucinating.

• Ghostbuster_86

★★★★ Rewatched by Ghostbuster_86 15 Aug, 2014

15 years on this genre defining film still holds up and bar the out dated 90's hacker scenes the film is even more relevant today as nearly everyone has a digital version of themselves. It's just a shame the Wachowski's went on to tarnish this films greatness with two mediocre sequels.

• brokaaa

★★★★★ Added by brokaaa

Is there anyone who has not seen this film yet? If so: nearly perfect mix of action, coolness, gadgetery, dystopian sci-fi elements and, yes, philosophy. Shot with revolutionary technology. Easily one of the outstanding pieces of entertainment from the 90s. Too bad Hollywood had to do two more than mediocre sequels, of course.

• Matt Heckler

★½ Watched by Matt Heckler 14 Aug, 2014 2

Cyberpunk is one of science fiction's most interesting subgenres. The way it is able to ask questions about our technology-filled society, and our rapidly growing dependence on it, makes for some really thought provoking work. The fact that early examples of it like William Gibson's seminal masterpiece Neuromancer basically predicted the future make it even more compelling. Unfortunately, The Matrix is an overrated film that is pretty much a piece of shit.

First things first: practically every "clever" idea is…