• Steve Grzesiak

★★½ Watched by Steve Grzesiak 02 Oct, 2014 8

The Road To Halloween - Eliminating The Horror 'Classics'

Spooky antics abound as Nicole Kidman frantically searches for some curtains.

I'm starting to think that if I never see another haunted English country mansion film again then that won't be an entirely bad thing at all. This is about the 14,000th film adapting or heavily influenced by The Turn Of The Screw and I think that's just about all I can take, really. I've seen this story enough. I've never…

• Andrew Amphlett

★★ Rewatched by Andrew Amphlett 14 Sep, 2014

I haven’t seen “The Others” in years; I remembered enjoying the concept and story when I was younger, so saying that I fancy giving it another go, being on Netflix UK.

And oh dear! In the words of Homer Simpson “BORING” time haven’t serve this film well, has a drama horror type, it’s full of ignoring LOUD NOISES and cheap scares that doesn't make any sense and bringing up ideas/hints that got nothing do with anything. Yes! The finale twist…

• Bizon

★★★★ Rewatched by Bizon 06 Sep, 2014

One of the great haunted house pictures. Moody and spooky, with Nicole Kidman supplying plenty of nervous tension.

• John Murphy

Watched by John Murphy 26 Aug, 2001

FROM MOVIE STUB COLLECTION

This is the first movie stub I saved. I don't remember anything about this film other than it's a horror film and Nicole Kidman is in it. And I seem to remember that it was generally well received.

• DK

★★★½ Watched by DK 26 Aug, 2014

Nicole Kidman whispering in the dark for nearly 2 hours
    was going to be my review, but it turned out better than I expected.

• Will Jamieson

★★★★ Watched by Will Jamieson 13 Aug, 2014

What makes The Others so effective, is the subtle touch with which it is executed and paced, relying on the art of suggestion to rank up tension, creating a spooky and suspensful, old fashioned horror with a twist that is not just clever, but rewarding.

• dazed

★★★★ Added by dazed

An amazing film, this is one of those films where you don't understand whats going on until right at the end.. I won't go into detail for those who haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely a must-see. Nicole Kidman is the main character as a mother of two children living in the middle of nowhere in a big, creepy house, with lots of unexplained noises and other stuff happening which confuses you at first.. but all is explained at the end of the film:)
    My only criticism is that the film is a bit slow at times.

• MatthewLB

★★★★ Watched by MatthewLB 11 Aug, 2014

A creepy and chilling movie with a predicable twist.

• RedDirect

★★★ Watched by RedDirect 31 Jul, 2014

A haunted house story that doesn't do a whole lot to mix up the formula.

Score and atmosphere work together well to create some moments of genuine dread. This is a spooky movie. The characters spend the entirety of the film within the confines of the house and the grounds. The tension builds as the characters are forced to remain in the same location.

Nicole Kidman is pretty great in the lead role as well. She's a stern mother concerned…

• loldaniel

★½ Watched by loldaniel 27 Jul, 2014

The only thing scary about this movie is Nicole Kidman's acting.

• Sc8lo

★★★ Rewatched by Sc8lo 13 Jul, 2014

Still looks great over 10 years on. Still holds a chill too.

• David Topper

★★ Watched by David Topper 20 Jul, 2014 4

There is a point in a horror film, where all the build up leads to something, most usually a big twist or a payoff.

Which is the big problem in The Others. Director Alejandro Amenábar teases and builds tension, but forgets to make that tension lead somewhere.
    Amenábar creates a wonderful atmosphere, in a huge yet empty manor house, where only Nicole Kidman lives with her two children. The problem though, is her two children are sensitive to sunlight, and…