• thezoomfilmblog

★★★★ Watched by thezoomfilmblog 22 Jan, 2016

Possibly a little too grimy with the fingerprints of The Innocents to be called truly great.

But still an expertly crafted ghost film that reaffirms Nicole Kidman as a Goddess in my eyes. Also two of the most impressive child performances I've seen in a while.

• godfather1977

★★★½ Watched by godfather1977 21 Jan, 2016 1

Painfully slow. Could've been 70 minutes long instead of 100. Boring boring boring. Exciting last 20 minutes, I'll give them credit for that.

• Brennan Klein

★★★½ Watched by Brennan Klein 02 Oct, 2014

Excellent interplay of light and darkness provide a delicious atmosphere for this chilly, post-Sixth Sense thriller.

• Felipe Scavo

★★★★ Watched by Felipe Scavo 18 Jan, 2016

Uma das mais gratas surpresas que tive nos últimos tempos. “Os Outros” é um filme de terror eficiente, criativo e causa arrepios. Com uma trama, à primeira vista, bem simples. Porém com uma reviravolta surpreendente.

Muito bom o tom sombrio e tenso que envolve a narrativa desde o início – o fato da maioria dos cômodos serem mantidos na escuridão por conta do problema de saúde das crianças funciona. Além disso, o diretor ainda é hábil ao evocar claustrofobia também…

• Madeleine Wall

★★★½ Added by Madeleine Wall

Disheartening that the class divide exists in the afterlife.

• Matt Skylar

★★★★ Watched by Matt Skylar 17 Jan, 2016

I wish I hadn't been spoiled on the main twist before seeing this, but it's taken me 14 years to see it so that one's on me. Having said that, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of this atmospheric horror film. There are a couple of other twists that I didn't expect, which aren't done that often, unlike the main twist itself and it was all very well put together.

Nicole Kidman is great in the lead role of a woman…

• paul

★★★½ Added by paul

Watching this b2b with The Innocents was a good idea. I liked the plot of the older film better mostly because The Others got dangerously close to Shutter Island depths of "wait for the twist" storytelling. Despite the "twist" actually being rather clever, the opening of the film got off on the wrong foot with the "rules." Namely: No two doors shall be open at the same time and the children must be shielded from all natural light. I think…

• Shayne Bock

★★★½ Watched by Shayne Bock 16 Jan, 2016

A very solid take on the Gothic haunted house story. Some very genuine moments of horror, an amazing performance by Nicole Kidman (obviously), and dripping in gorgeous macabre atmosphere. Also, surprisingly decent performance by the kid actors. I'm not sure about the last half star, I think it deserves 3 stars, but I did really enjoy it.

• Rene C.Lover

★★★★ Watched by Rene C.Lover 17 Jan, 2016

(84/100)
    It really hits hard knowing the truth once you finish it. The movie gives a pretty creative thought about ghosts and their manifestation. The plot, the twist, and the characters are all done right and the movie deserves a recognition for its smart moves.

• Lewis

★★★½ Watched by Lewis 16 Jan, 2016

I'd never seen the movie before but my girl really wanted to watch it - so we watched it. Go figure. I knew the twist ending - no spoilers - and even then found the movie pretty enjoyable. Really well made shot, well acted and a pretty decent premise for a horror movie, especially a ghost one which I'm normally not that into. I'm interested in the occult so many that helped me get into it. I dunno. The last scene was pretty cool. Why do I feel the need to justify my liking of this movie to myself? Argh.

• JN

★★★½ Watched by JN 12 Sep, 2015

Reasonably well done, considering how awry that screenplay could have gone. The payoff is a bit murky though, the movie feels like it suddenly ends

• coffeekermit07

★★★½ Rewatched by coffeekermit07 10 Jan, 2016

Very slowly paced film, but nonetheless just as atmospheric. Also on the plus side: the chilling conclusion of the mystery, who the Others really are.

Still, the main character (Kidman) is just a little too annoying and the tension a little too thin.