• Guavatin

★★★★ Watched by Guavatin 04 Nov, 2015

Great horror film with excellent cinamatography and a nice twist at the end.

• TheMovieVampire

★★★½ Watched by TheMovieVampire 29 Oct, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

The Others was a rather lo-fi period horror movie in the vein of The Haunting and when it came out it actually made pretty resptectable box office for something this quiet and conceptual. It’s interesting to watch this and compare it to the current crop of haunted house movies like Paranormal Activity and The Conjuring, because this one seems a lot more restrained and less jump-scare reliant. It’s minimal almost to a fault because it doesn’t really start to cook…

• Zach Ralston

★★★★½ Rewatched by Zach Ralston 31 Oct, 2015

Holds up like gangbusters. The idea of light as a weapon or source of terror is a killer premise, as is everything else Amenabar cooks up. Kidman is fantastic, so is Flanagan, so are the kids. And somehow even though this is a series of frightening haunted house setpieces and sustained gothic horror tension, it's also a film about war, child abuse, the family unit, and the cycle of violence both societal and personal. A near-masterpiece.

• Matt Gaffney

★★★★★ Watched by Matt Gaffney 01 Nov, 2015 2

Holy shit.

I've been getting more into scary movies over the last year or so. Heard this was a good one, and I was not let down.

Everything about this movie worked for me. I love the setting. Post WWII England on a giant manor shrouded in fog. The performances are excellent. Kids in movies can get on my nerves sometimes but the 2 here were perfect. The family dynamics are so strong in this they could work even without…

• emecé

★★★★ Rewatched by emecé 02 Nov, 2015

Aquí se acaba Amenábar. Tras esta película él, como Grace, es el único que no se da cuenta de que está muerto.

Sigue funcionando como un tiro. La secuencia de la sesión de espiritismo es espectacular.

• JaySalahi

★★★★ Rewatched by JaySalahi 31 Oct, 2015

Astonishingly atmospheric. While you can sense the twist coming, the way it revels its self is top notch. Love that it works just as much as a drama as it does high class horror.

B+ (87)

• Reece Leonard

★★★★ Watched by Reece Leonard 31 Oct, 2015

Both a compelling period drama and an unnerving haunted house tale, The Others focuses on a mother with strangely complex religious beliefs attempting to deal with the emotional trauma that formed in her husband's absence. That it works so well is a testament to Kidman's performance, a reminder to those who now write her off with trite complaints about her face "not moving anymore" due to plastic surgery, and the deft hand of director Alejandro Amenábar, who imbues the proceedings…

• Aishling

★★★★★ Rewatched by Aishling 30 Oct, 2015

Rewatched this and it's just as good as I remembered! A unique story about ghosts haunting a house.

• Tristiac

★★★★ Rewatched by Tristiac 31 Oct, 2015

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

It is remarkable that this film works as well as it does considering it employs the standard haunted house tropes and the same twist as The Sixth Sense which came out just a couple of years earlier.

• Ricardos LaFleur

★★★★½ Watched by Ricardos LaFleur 31 Oct, 2015

The best kind of horror to me is that with potent drama at its core, as well as that that possesses elements of religion. The Others is a beautiful vintage gothic horror that outclasses any other of similarity in the 21st century. I don't believe I've ever seen Nicole Kidman so unhinged. Slow burn pacing and atmospheric direction. Undoubtedly one of the finest horror films of the last 15 years.

• voggggg

★★★½ Added by voggggg

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

This worked better for me than it did the first time I saw it maybe 10 years ago. At the time, I didn't like the twist (I didn't like Sixth Sense either). There's some room to play with this concept though, the way ghosts are trapped between worlds, and I'd like to see more of that in other films.

• silentrunnning

★★★½ Watched by silentrunnning 30 Oct, 2015

"Doves are anything but holy."