• JaviOsuna

★★½ Watched by JaviOsuna 01 Nov, 2014

Something more than a good plot twist at the end is needed (mostly if that plot twist is kind of a cliché). And, definetly, something more (much more) than Nicole Kidman.

• Zach Betonte

Watched by Zach Betonte 27 Oct, 2014

Clearly inspired by Cat People in how it accomplishes the melodrama and conveys displacement leading to tragedy. Kidman delivers a tour-de-force, using her fragile hysteria to convince the audience of her integrity and in-cognizance. Alejandro Amenábar is able to formally indulge while keeping the camera's relationship to it's subjects remarkably intimate yet sustain the ambiguity of their motivations. It successfully exploits the well-defined setting, gradually exploring and revealing new cinematic space and supernatural set pieces. Thematically, the final act's revelation serves the film sensibly, but I couldn't help but feel disillusioned by it's obligation to satisfy stale genre language.

• Sean Kelly

★★★★½ Rewatched by Sean Kelly 29 Oct, 2014

October HorrorFest 2014 Film 15

A great old-school ghost story.

• Matt Taylor

★★★ Watched by Matt Taylor 27 Oct, 2014

Alejandro Amenábar is clearly a fan of "The Innocents." This classically told haunted house movie owes (a lot) to that film, and many other scary movies from past. But while Amenábar's visual eye is solid, he lacks the skills necessary to direct a truly memorable ghost story.

The pacing for "The Others" is sort of a mess. It stretches on for about twenty minutes too long, and can't quite figure out when to ratchet up the intensity. The film is…

• Cinemole

★★★★ Rewatched by Cinemole 25 Oct, 2014

Dismissed this as silly when I saw it as an 8 year old. Appreciated it for being silly when I saw it as a 20 year old.

• Travis Paul

★★ Watched by Travis Paul 25 Oct, 2014

I think I missed something.

• Jimmy Jones

★★★★ Added by Jimmy Jones

Ooooo-oooo, I'm always up for a good ghost story, as long as it doesn't look too shoddy. This one I had heard was looked upon pretty favorably, so I decided to give it a go, despite the fact that it's modern horror and pretty much everything sucks.

This was surprisingly good and actually really intriguing once it got rolling! It gets off to a somewhat slow start and isn't particularly creepy in its first half hour, even though it wants…

• russman

★★★½ Watched by russman 25 Oct, 2014 4

• Kacey Bange

★★★ Rewatched by Kacey Bange 24 Oct, 2014

Still stylish, but less effective on a rewatch where I was older and really understood what was going on.

• Aaron King

★★★½ Rewatched by Aaron King 24 Oct, 2014

This is one of those old fashion ghost films that aren't made like this anymore. I feel like this film is a one time film because if you watch it again, a lot of the fun is worn out because you already know the big twist in it. I've seen it once and that was 13 years ago and I still remember the twists and turns of it. I would honestly prefer a film like this than "the scary films of today".

• Thief12

★★★★½ Rewatched by Thief12 19 Oct, 2014

This review reportedly contains spoilers. I can handle the truth.

• Matt

★★★ Added by Matt

For years, I've been under the illusion that I had seen The Others, we decided to rewatch it last night as part of our October horror-thon. Turns out I'd never seen it.

That is all.