• Matt Curione

★★★ Watched by Matt Curione 05 Mar, 2015

Overly melodramatic but with some nice visuals from Coppola. I can see why this was so popular upon release.

Despite some good performances, The Outsiders doesn't have much to recommend outside of nostalgia.

• Mark Boszko

★★★ Rewatched by Mark Boszko 02 Mar, 2015

Pretty sure I saw this before, in the auditorium at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland during a creative writing summer camp.

Yep.

That burning beam effects shot was pretty bitchin', though.

It seems like this is Coppola's American Graffiti, but with knives and burning churches. All things considered, I'll take Lucas’ version of the 50s.

• Luke Goodsell

★★★★ Rewatched by Luke Goodsell 02 Mar, 2015

I wish more teen movies were made with this kind of exaggerated formal melodrama.

• Mark Ciemcioch

★★½ Rewatched by Mark Ciemcioch 24 Feb, 2015

Haiku Review:
    Young adult story
    better left for young adults;
    No subtlety here.

• Ivy

★★★★ Added by Ivy

Watched this a long time ago after I read the book in middle school. It's not the best book adaptation ever, but they did a pretty good job with it (the book is still better).

• jocelyn

★★★★½ Watched by jocelyn 14 Jan, 2014

aka the movie with all my fave actors
    this is the root of all my love for dumb 80s films

• RP Jones

Watched by RP Jones 17 Dec, 2014

Highlights what makes Rumble Fish work so remarkably well, namely the lyricism and abstract bits. This is too straightforward and plot-heavy for its own good, with not a whole lot keeping it together on a scene-by-scene basis. Johnny breaks the heart.

• deadmanramsey

★★★½ Added by deadmanramsey

67/100

• Andrew

★★ Watched by Andrew 28 Jan, 2015

Quick thoughts:

Was it just me or was the acting here just atrocious? I'd only seen this one other time and that's when we watched it in school. I wish I could go back in time and concentrate on the teacher's face when Matt Dillon asks Diane Lane if the drapes match the carpet - had to be a cringe worthy moment for them. Anyway, I liked it much better then, but then who didn't love a movie in school. Hell, they could've showed us Mr. Woodcock in school and I'd have been comparing it to Hitchcock stuff. Thumbs down and one of Coppola's worst.

• Ashlea Moses

★★★★ Watched by Ashlea Moses 27 Jan, 2015

Nothing gold can stay.

• Eirik Pedersen

★★★½ Watched by Eirik Pedersen 22 Jan, 2015

The movie remembered for launching Tom Waits' acting career.

• Nadine Keels