• kylepsmith

★★★ Watched by kylepsmith 10 Apr, 2015

Had somehow never seen this, or always conflated it with RUMBLE FISH, which I also confuse with PASSION FISH. Anyway - Matt Dillon is the strongest here, which I think is the popular feeling; it also shows that Coppola just isn’t that interesting of a filmmaker unless he’s working from 1969-1975 or whatever

• Cindy Yong

★★★★½ Added by Cindy Yong

"Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold."

Watched this when I was in Secondary School. We had to read book titled 'The Outsiders' for English class. It's definitely one of the best films I've ever watched. I'm not ashamed to say I still do re-watch this every now and then.

• jamesthegill

★★★ Watched by jamesthegill 04 Apr, 2015

Grease, but without the songs. Or the pink ladies. It's not like Grease, really. Probably would've enjoyed it more if I'd read the book first.

• Dana

★★★½ Watched by Dana 04 Apr, 2015

The book holds a very special place in my heart and when I saw the Blu-Ray on offer the other day I could not resist. It's strange seeing it on screen, but Rob Lowe as Sodapop and the kid playing Ponyboy (who I'm sure is not-so-distantly related to Harry Styles of boyband fame, he must be) are genius casting choices. In general everyone worked out pretty amazingly.

Having actors that look 14 years old play characters that are 14 years old has quite the impact and makes me grateful for how loose child labour laws must have been 30+ years ago.

• David Lawrence

Watched by David Lawrence 03 Apr, 2015

No rating as this was a butchered TV edit of the 2005 cut

• Helen_S

★★★★ Rewatched by Helen_S 28 Mar, 2015 1

My rating is for The Complete Novel version which adds so much more to the characters making it all the more bittersweet than the theatrical cut. I would give a star less to that.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 18 Mar, 2015

The weaker of Coppola's Hinton adaptations, this takes a little while to really get into the swing of things despite the slight run time. When it does, it packs quite a punch, notably with a gang scuffle built up and shot like it's D-Day. The Brat Pack cast is also interesting, at least as a cautinary tale of largely wasted talent.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★½ Watched by Grant Fitzgerald 07 Mar, 2015

This viewing makes me really want to watch the directors cut on Bluray. This DVD just didn't seem to do the film justice.

• darkelf

★½ Watched by darkelf 14 Mar, 2015

So I saw the theatrical cut and it's obvious that some things are missing but I'm not sure that the extra half hour could fix the poor character motivation, bad (over)acting and a dumb script that thinks it's so smart. Anyway, this cut gets a 1.5/5 from me and I'm not sure if I'll ever see the extended version.

• Vanessa

★★½ Rewatched by Vanessa 12 Mar, 2015

just re-read the book for the 100th time..but in castellano! ("Rebeldes" hehe)

i remember loving the movie as a kid..its kind of shitty tho aint it?? i mean i like the cast but aside from some tasty visuals and rob lowe shirtless, this film kind of loses some of the novel's spark

i still like it though. probably that nostalgia factor.

• David M

★★★★ Rewatched by David M 09 Mar, 2015

The most under-rated, over-rated film of the 80's. Well worth a watch.

• Matt Curione

★★★ Watched by Matt Curione 05 Mar, 2015 1

Overly melodramatic but with some nice visuals from Coppola. I can see why this was so popular upon release.

Despite some good performances, The Outsiders doesn't have much to recommend outside of nostalgia.