• Tom Prankerd

★★★ Watched by Tom Prankerd 18 Mar, 2015

The weaker of Coppola's Hinton adaptations, this takes a little while to really get into the swing of things despite the slight run time. When it does, it packs quite a punch, notably with a gang scuffle built up and shot like it's D-Day. The Brat Pack cast is also interesting, at least as a cautinary tale of largely wasted talent.

• Grant Fitzgerald

★★★★½ Watched by Grant Fitzgerald 07 Mar, 2015

This viewing makes me really want to watch the directors cut on Bluray. This DVD just didn't seem to do the film justice.

• darkelf

★½ Watched by darkelf 14 Mar, 2015

So I saw the theatrical cut and it's obvious that some things are missing but I'm not sure that the extra half hour could fix the poor character motivation, bad (over)acting and a dumb script that thinks it's so smart. Anyway, this cut gets a 1.5/5 from me and I'm not sure if I'll ever see the extended version.

• Vanessa

★★½ Rewatched by Vanessa 12 Mar, 2015

just re-read the book for the 100th time..but in castellano! ("Rebeldes" hehe)

i remember loving the movie as a kid..its kind of shitty tho aint it?? i mean i like the cast but aside from some tasty visuals and rob lowe shirtless, this film kind of loses some of the novel's spark

i still like it though. probably that nostalgia factor.

• David M

★★★★ Rewatched by David M 09 Mar, 2015

The most under-rated, over-rated film of the 80's. Well worth a watch.

• Matt Curione

★★★ Watched by Matt Curione 05 Mar, 2015 1

Overly melodramatic but with some nice visuals from Coppola. I can see why this was so popular upon release.

Despite some good performances, The Outsiders doesn't have much to recommend outside of nostalgia.

• Mark Boszko

★★★ Rewatched by Mark Boszko 02 Mar, 2015

Pretty sure I saw this before, in the auditorium at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland during a creative writing summer camp.

Yep.

That burning beam effects shot was pretty bitchin', though.

It seems like this is Coppola's American Graffiti, but with knives and burning churches. All things considered, I'll take Lucas’ version of the 50s.

• Luke Goodsell

★★★★ Rewatched by Luke Goodsell 02 Mar, 2015

I wish more teen movies were made with this kind of exaggerated formal melodrama.

• Mark Ciemcioch

★★½ Rewatched by Mark Ciemcioch 24 Feb, 2015

Haiku Review:
    Young adult story
    better left for young adults;
    No subtlety here.

• Ivy

★★★★ Added by Ivy

Watched this a long time ago after I read the book in middle school. It's not the best book adaptation ever, but they did a pretty good job with it (the book is still better).

• jocelyn

★★★★½ Watched by jocelyn 14 Jan, 2014

aka the movie with all my fave actors
    this is the root of all my love for dumb 80s films

• RP Jones

Watched by RP Jones 17 Dec, 2014

Highlights what makes Rumble Fish work so remarkably well, namely the lyricism and abstract bits. This is too straightforward and plot-heavy for its own good, with not a whole lot keeping it together on a scene-by-scene basis. Johnny breaks the heart.